The E-Sylum v6#06, February 9, 2003

whomren at coinlibrary.com whomren at coinlibrary.com
Sun Feb 9 19:40:10 PST 2003

Welcome to The E-Sylum: Volume 6, Number 6, February 9, 2003:
an electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
Copyright (c) 2002, The Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

SUBSCRIBER UPDATE

   Among recent new subscribers is Robert Laviana, a former
   subscriber returning to the fold.  Welcome back!  We now
   have 527 subscribers.

DAVIS SALE CLOSING FEBRUARY 15

   Charles Davis writes: "Our sale of numismatic literature
   consigned by the American Numismatic Society and others
   closes next Saturday, February 15.  An on-line version may
   be seen at
   http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/adimg/davis.htm
   while photographs are available at
   http://members.aol.com/numislit."

ANA LIBRARY ADDITIONS

   Nancy Green, Librarian of the American Numismatic
   Association, writes: "Thanks for sending the E-sylum. I
   enjoy reading it but don't always have time to respond to
   items. I thought readers would like to know that books
   recently added to the ANA Library are listed on our
   website at http://www.money.org.  Click on "What's new"
   for a list of the titles added in January.  This will be updated
   each month. The books are recently added, not necessarily
   recently published."

CENTRAL AMERICAN NUMISMATIC CONFERENCE

   Granvyl G. Hulse, Jr .writes: "The Central American
   Numismatic Association has posted all of the papers given
   at their last conference on the following web site.

   http://www.museosdelbancocentral.org/numismatica/ponencias.html

MISATTRIBUTION OF TIOLIER SALE

   Ted Buttrey of the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge writes:
   "In the last issue of The E-Sylum  Richard Margolis asked
   about the Tiolier collection catalogue, which is unfindable.
   I wonder if there has been some confusion in the reference.

   There was a Tiolier sale in Paris, 18+ Jan 1836, held by
   Wateau & Chaumont auctioneers (Frits Lugt, Répertoire
   des Catalogues de Ventes Publiques, vol.2 1826-1860
   [The Hague, 1953] No.14188).  The catalogue ran to 22pp.
   and 1000 lots, largely books but also 14 lots of "Monn. Méd",
   which of course could have included a number of pieces per lot.

   Richard Margolis replies: "I am very familiar with the catalogue
   of Tiolier material that you cite from Lugt.  Indeed I located a
   copy of this in one of the Paris libraries, using as I recall,
   information in Lugt as to its location.  This was of course the
   catalogue of an auction sale, whereas the 1840 catalogue which
   was the subject of my inquiry was not. The latter was a listing
   of the  heart of the Tiolier holdings prepared the year before
   the collection was sold to Rousseau, and is completely different
   from the catalogue you refer to. But I thank you for your efforts
   on my behalf."

FRENCH LIBRARY LINKS

   Alan Luedeking writes: "In response to Mr. Margolis' plea
   regarding the Tiolier collection catalogue, I have little to offer
   except the following interesting link to a list of all French
   libraries that are on-line. Perhaps Mr. Margolis will find what
   he desires by searching through all of them, with no further
   loss of body parts than some skin on his mouse-clicking
   finger.     http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Libweb/France.html"

FROSTPROOF SALE

   Fred Lake's current sale is named "The Frostproof Sale".
   Wondering  if perhaps Fred ran out of room and was
   storing books in a freezer, I contacted him.  Fred writes:
   "I have named sales that do not have a "key" consignor
   after names of cities here in Florida.  Frostproof is
   actually the name of a town in Central Florida."

FRENCH PUBLICATION IDENTIFICATION SOUGHT

   Gar Travis writes: "I have a French ancient coin text in my
   library, titled NUMISMATIQUE ANCIENNE.

   I have a JPG image file that I can send to anyone wishing to
   assist, who may happen to know the year of issue of the text
   and by what person or organization. The size of the card cover
   / hand sewn booklet is 10" x 6 1/4". The covers are not intact
   or attached and some internal pages are loose. The plates, of
   which there are twelve (12), are all intact and each are as if
   center pages 20" x 6 1/4".    My email address is
   oldmoney at coastalnet.com"

LAMASURE MINT PAINTING WHEREABOUTS

   David Lange writes: "I'd like to thank those persons who
   furnished information about the Lamasure painting of the first
   U. S. Mint buildings. Ron Guth was quite helpful in providing
   some facts, and he has given permission to publish his
   response:

   "You might try contacting Craig Whitford about the Lamasure
   painting. I know that he made reproductions of the image on
   postcards and that, at one time, he was interested in re-creating,
   in miniature, the early U.S. Mint and its machinery, so he may
   know where the painting is currently located.

   By way of coincidence, I just purchased a Frank Stewart
   publication that contains information about the Mint, printed
   closer to the time of the actual demolition than his book was.
   If you are interested, I'll let you know if there is any different
   or new information contained therein, when the book arrives.

   At the Philadelphia ANA, I visited Congress Hall, hoping to
   see the Stewart collection on display. Unfortunately, the
   collection has been put in storage and, except for a few
   pieces on display at the Philadelphia Mint, is essentially
   inaccessible. Stewart must be rolling over in his grave!"

   Craig Whitford was indeed helpful, as he provided the
   following: "In regards to the whereabouts of the Lamasure
   painting of the first mint....its last known location was in the
   Independence Hall Collection.

   In the May 1977 issue of Coinage magazine in an article
   titled "Home of Our First Mint" by Thomas W. Becker,
   he notes the following:

   "In 1967, I was elated to find the Lamasure painting
   stacked away in the basement of the First National Bank
   Building in downtown Philadelphia. I had gone with Charles
   Hoskins on the recommendations of Eva Adams, then Director
   of the Bureau of the Mint. ..Together, Hoskins and I set up the
   cameras and lights, took careful meter readings, and closely
   inspected the painting....Looking over my research notes
   dictated after the work in Philadelphia that November of 1967,
   I find this notation: "The Lamasure painting is a pastel (water
   color) measuring 34 7/8 inches across the top and 24 inches
   up and down both sides. The painting is on thin cardboard, one
   solid sheet, and the entire piece of material is now in a very bad
   state of repair..."

   I have nice copies of the postcards in color of the Lamasure
   painting which Frank Stewart produced if you would like one
   for use as an image. I also, during 1986, commissioned a local
   artist to "recreate" the Lamasure image with a few changes. The
   commissioned oil painting is 24 x 36 and I have images of it
   available for reproduction as well."

   Dave Bowers writes: "The Lamasure painting was hanging in
   the foyer of the 4th Philadelphia Mint when I was there on
   April 2, 1992 (100th anniversary of the 1792 Mint Act),
   when a special ceremony was held. Possibly it is still there.

   The "other" well-known 20th century painting, a fanciful scene
   of the striking of the 1792 half dismes, was commissioned by
   Jim Kelly, Dayton (later Englewood), Ohio, dealer, active
   from the 1940s through the 1970s."

   NBS President Pete Smith writes: "The Philadelphia Mint has
   a small Interpretive Center above the Gift Shop. I believe I
   saw the original Lamazure painting there when I visited the
   Mint in 2000.

   Stewart reproduced the painting in color in two sizes for
   calendars he distributed. If David Lange cannot get permission
   to copy the original painting, he may wish to contact me to
   reproduce one of the Stewart calendars. The calendar is an
   item I exhibited in Philadelphia in 2000."

Q, DAVID BOWERS: IRON MAN

   George M. Vanca of Santa Clarita,  CA writes: "Regarding
   Dave Bowers and his sudden termination by Michael Haynes
   of Collectors Universe, I will sum it up succinctly:

   Dave Bowers is the IRON MAN of Numismatics.  He has
   touched the lives of countless men, women and children.  He
   will rise above this temporary setback and come back better
   than ever!"

THE AMERICAN NUMISMATIST

   David Crenshaw writes: "In the last E-Sylum, Ken Lane asked,
   "Who wrote the 1888 4-page pamphlet "The American
   Numismatist?" Well, Ken, Dr. George F. Heath issued the
   pamphlet. The word “American” was dropped from its title in
   subsequent issues.  This publication eventually became the
   official journal of the American Numismatic Association. “The
   Numismatist” saw minimal change over the years until its recent
   makeover including a change in name to “Numismatist.”

   Jess Gaylor submitted this reference: "The American
   Numismatist, Vol. I, No. 1.  Paterson, NJ, September, 1886"

   NBS Board member Joel Orosz sets us straight about both
   publications:  "If Mr. Lane is referring to the first magazine by
   that name, it was published only from September, 1886 to
   December 1887, when its name changed to The Collector's
   Magazine.  Its publisher was Charles E. Leal, of Paterson,
   New Jersey.  I wrote a detailed article on this periodical in my
   "Printer's Devil" column in The Asylum, for Winter of 1997.
   In it, I question the conventional wisdom that Leal's periodical
   prompted Dr. George Heath, of Monroe, Michigan, to drop
   the "American" from his initial title for "The Numismatist", which
   was "The American Numismatist".

WAR CENTS: AN 1886 PERSPECTIVE

   Jess Gaylor added: "In the same issue ("The American
   Numismatist", Vol. I, No. 1.  Paterson, NJ, September,
   1886) is the following article, written by its editor C. E. Leal:

   WAR CENTS

   Small change became so scarce in 1862 that store-keepers
   and other persons began to issue this private currency to supply
   the deficiency; and they continued to coin them in immense
   quantities  until 1864, when the Government, to protect itself,
   was compelled to prohibit their further coinage or circulation.
   The first coinage of War Cents, or Tokens, or Store Cards, as
   they were sometimes called, took place in Cincinnati where
   nearly 900 varieties were issued, fully three times as many
   varieties as any other city issued except New York.  A number
   of other Western cities soon followed the example of Cincinnati,
   but it was not until the early part of 1863 that New York began
   to issue the famous Lindenmuller cents, of which there were
   more than a million coined; these were followed by the
   Knickerbocker tokens, consisting of many varieties.  Altogether
   there were between 600 and 700 varieties issued from New
   York City.  Ohio issued about 1300 varieties from 100 different
   cities and towns, more than any other state issued; New York
   State comes next after Ohio, with over 900 varieties.

   When the Government stopped the coinage of these tokens
   there were upward of 20,000,000 of them in circulation, but
   there are in all probability not more than 1,000,000 in existence
   at the present time.  In my estimation War Cents comprise one
   of the principal branches in Numismatics, and should occupy
   a prominent place in the cabinet of every American collector.
   It is impossible now to obtain a complete collection for any
   sum of money; but $25 or $30 should buy a very good
   collection for an amateur.

   (An so dear readers, even if the Hetrichs and the Guttags and
   the Fulds had not come upon the scene, just look at the wealth
   of information we would still have concerning Civil War
   Tokens)"

WORD DEFINITION: CHIT

   Chick Ambrass writes: "I was reading a paper money auction
   catalogue, and the heading was Military Payments and Chits.
   I went through the entire section, and saw nothing that was
   labeled a "Chit". Any idea what a "chit" is?"   I later came
   across one reference saying a "chit" is a signed paper voucher.

   [Word definitions are a perennial subject in The E-Sylum,
   so let's hear what our readers say.  I always thought a "chit"
   was a paper or cardboard token having some redemption
   value - like a token, but not made of metal.  I didn't think it
   had to be signed.  What say you, E-Sylum readers?
   -Editor]

NASA SPACE FLIGHT MEDAL

   Gar Travis and David Klinger both recommended this page
   for more information on the NASA Space Flight Medal:
   http://www.wwmeinc.com/products/american/usm402_a12.htm

OTHER SPACE MEDALS

   Martin Purdy writes: "Here's another one, unrelated, from a
   quite different source: the paper insert with the "Apollo 8
   Space Medal" produced by the Historical Medal Society of
   Australia and New Zealand in 1968 states that

   "Sterling silver medals were presented to each of the three
   American Astronauts.
   "Colonel Frank Borman, of the U.S. Air Force, commander.
   "Captain James Lovell, of the U.S. Navy.
   "Major William Anders, of the U.S. Air Force.
   "In addition, nine scientists and technicians who were directly
   responsible for the flight were each presented with a sterling
   silver medal."

   I am currently researching the Historical Medal Society of
   Australia and NZ, and wonder whether these twelve silver
   medals were indeed presented, how the presentation was
   made and whether it was ever documented.  The silver
   versions of all of the HMSANZ medals were supposed to
   be for presentation only, with only the bronze and, later,
   aluminum and gilt medals being made available to the public,
   though I suspect that this restriction was relaxed at some stage."

1909 MONTREAL ANA CONVENTION

   Regarding last week's query about the 1909 ANA
   Convention in Montreal, Tom DeLorey writes: "Please pass
   along to Mr. Atchison that David T. Alexander of Stack's has
   written about the acrimonious 1909 ANA presidential election
   campaign, which culminated at the Montreal convention, and
   may have some original source material of interest.

   Please tell him also that the Thomas Elder tokens sometimes
   attributed to the 1909 Montreal convention, which I listed on
   pp. 1620-22 of the July, 1980 The Numismatist as more likely
   dating to 1914, have still not been shown to have been issued
   before 1914 despite my request for such evidence."

HARRIS & CO AND MARKETING

   Regarding the sale of the "Red Book" to H. E. Harris & Co,
   David Lange writes: "This is very good news. As an avid
   collector of coin boards, folders and albums, both old and
   new, I've watched the Whitman titles lose ground over the
   past three or four years, due to lackluster marketing and
   product development. Harris has been very aggressive in
   both areas, and it will be fun to acquire yet another series
   of Whitman folders with the Harris imprint.

   In the few years since the introduction of statehood quarters
   there's been quite a boom in coin folder/album production.
   It's unlike anything seen since the early 1960s. Assembling a
   complete reference collection of all makes, titles and editions
   is a relatively inexpensive, yet challenging hobby. So far, I
   haven't encountered anyone else attempting to do this, though
   there are a handful of people seeking complete sets of the
   Raymond/National and Library of Coins albums."

FEATURED WEB SITE

   This week's featured web site is Scottish Banking,
   recommended by Andy Lustig.  "This site has been created
   by the Committee of Scottish Clearing Bankers.  The
   Committee is the representative body of the four Scottish
   clearing banks."   The section on the history of Scottish
   Banknotes should be of particular interest.

      http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/

  Wayne Homren
  Numismatic Bibliomania Society

  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a
  non-profit organization promoting numismatic
  literature.   For more information please see
  our web site at http://www.coinbooks.org/
  There is a membership application available on
  the web site.  To join, print the application and
  return it with your check to the address printed
  on the application.   For those without web access,
  write to David Sklow, NBS Secretary-Treasurer,
  P.O. Box 76192, Ocala, FL  34481.

  For Asylum mailing address changes and other
  membership questions, contact Dave at this email
  address: sdsklow at aol.com

  To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum,
  just Reply to this message, or write to the Editor
  at this address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

   (To be removed from the E-Sylum mailing list
   send an email message with the word "Unsubscribe"
   in the body of the message to:
   esylum-request at binhost.com)