The E-Sylum v6#36, September 7, 2003

whomren at coinlibrary.com whomren at coinlibrary.com
Sun Sep 7 21:00:54 PDT 2003

Welcome to The E-Sylum: Volume 6, Number 36, September 7, 2003:
an electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
Copyright (c) 2003, The Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

SUBSCRIBER UPDATE

   Among recent new subscribers are Fred Holabird, courtesy
   of Duane Feisel.  Welcome aboard!  We now have 590
   subscribers.

LAKE SALE #70 CLOSING

   Fred Lake writes: "Our sale #70 closes on Tuesday, September
   16, 2003 at 5:00 PM EDT. You can view the sale at
   http://www.lakebooks.com/current.html"

JOHN J. FORD LIBRARY SALES

   George Kolbe writes: "I thought that E-sylum subscribers might
   like an update concerning the first auction sale of the John J.
   Ford, Jr. Library.  To be held in association with Stack's, the
   sale will take place on Tuesday, June 1, 2004 at the Mission
   Inn, Riverside, California, a National Historical Landmark
   Hotel (www.missioninn.com). The Mission Inn is about half
   way between Crestline (where lot viewing will be held on the
   days preceding the sale), and Long Beach (where the Long
   Beach Coin Convention will begin the day after the sale). The
   Mission Inn is about an hour by car from Los Angeles
   International Airport, and about ten minutes from the new
   Ontario International Airport. Riverside is a large city (approx.
   300,000 residents) and offers a wide array of lodging and
   recreational activities.  I plan to start cataloguing the Ford
   library in a few weeks and I will submit a report every week
   or two about interesting things that will be in the sale.  I
   recently came across, for example, the original invoice from
   Captain John Haseltine to William H. Woodin for the two
   unique $50 gold patterns now held by the Smithsonian
   Institution, along with papers relating to the circa 1910
   litigation concerning patterns, including an original affidavit
   from Haseltine."

HAITIAN AUCTIONS SOUGHT

   Bob Merchant (bobm at cfl.rr.com) writes:  "Perhaps an
   E-Sylum subscriber can help me with this:   I am trying to
   locate a Spink (or Spink America) auction catalog from 1998
   that contained an important collection of Haiti coinage.  I do
   not know what the date of the sale was.  I am also interested
   in other auction catalogs that contained Haiti coinage.  Can
   anyone help?"

1913 LIBERTY NICKEL - ART KAGIN CONNECTION

   Donn Pearlman writes: "Thanks for the kind words about my
   photography (The E-Sylum: Volume 6, Number 32, August 10,
   2003).  I only had about 60 seconds to take the photo, and I
   was using -- for the first time -- a two-week old camera, a
   Nikon Coolpix 4300 digital.   I was amazed and delighted my
   close up of the Walton 1913 Liberty Head nickel came out so
   well.

   Only hours later did I learn I should have taken a shot of the
   reverse, too.  It seems a crucial diagnostic for determining
   authenticity involves an element on the reverse.

   One correction to your article about the five 1913 nickels in
   Baltimore.  There apparently are at least TWO surviving
   numismatists who had seen all five coins together prior to the
   historic reunion in Baltimore in July.  Eric Newman, mentioned
   in your article, and Art Kagin, who saw the five together in the
   late 1930s or early '40s prior to the "set" being broken up."

CATALOG COMPILATION PROJECT?

   Denis Loring writes: "In a recent Coin world article, Dan
   Friedus gave a list of significant auctions of certain Colonial
   series.  I found it valuable research info, and thought it would
   be terrific if such a list existed for all appropriate series, say
   copper through 1857, silver through 1891, gold through 1907,
   and some specialties.  I have to believe that within the
   E-Sylum subscriber list, we've got the knowledge base to
   produce such a list.

   Here's a first shot at possible series for which we should list
   the three or four most significant sales:

   Mass. silver
   Mass. copper
   Conn. copper
   NJ copper
   Vermont copper
   Washington pieces
   Fugio cents
   half cents
   large cents 1793-1814
   large cents 1816-1839
   large cents 1840-1857
   half dimes 1794-1837
   half dimes 1837-1891
   dimes 1796-1837
   dimes 1837-1891
   quarters 1796-1838
   quarters 1838-1891
   halves 1794-1807
   halves 1807-1839
   halves 1839-1891
   dollars 1794-1804
   dollars 1836-1839
   dollars 1840-1873
   dollars 1873-1885
   gold dollars 1849-1889
   gold $2-1/2 1796-1839
   gold $2-1/2 1840-1907
   gold $3 1854-1889
   gold $5 1795-1807
   gold $5 1807-1838
   gold $5 1839-1908
   gold $10 1795-1804
   gold $10 1838-1907
   gold $20 1850-1907
   territorial gold
   CA small denom. gold
   patterns
   hard times tokens
   civil War tokens
   errors"

SHORT SNOTER?

   Howard A. Daniel III writes: "While at the recent 2003 ANA
   Convention, I was approached by Richard Kaminski.  He read
   in "World Coin News" about a "short snorter" I had bought and
   had one he wanted me to see.  He handed me an envelope and
   inside it was a letter and the left half of a United States Series
   1917 2 Dollars note.

   The letter is dated "Friday -March 18th" but no year, but he
   said it was sometime in the 1960s.  The second paragraph has;
   "My reservation of the Bar dinner is enclosed as well as the
   recipe we talked about in the even you do not have it as hand
   and also a short snoter for Richard."

   A "short snoter"?  I reread it and the second word is "snoter."
   I told him it was not what I had written about and was
   something completely new to me.  He asked if it had any value
   and I told him I had no idea but we could go visit a dealer on
   the bourse.

   Leo May is one of the most knowledgeable dealers about
   "short snorters" and we found him.  Leo read the letter and
   looked at the half note with the same disbelief as myself.  I
   said "snoter" must be an old American slang word that we
   had not yet heard about in numismatics.  He agreed but he
   did not like my pronunciation of the word because it sounded
   like something from my nose.  He wanted to emphasize the
   "note" in the middle of the word.  I agreed this was much better
   and I would research the word.

   Richard wanted to sell the piece and the letter, so I asked
   Leo for a value.   Leo mentioned a value and Richard
   offered it to me.  I agreed to buy it but only for a "Bank Note
   Reporter" article and to donate it to the ANA Museum.
   Richard agreed and I paid him.

   The primary languages for "snoter" appear to be English,
   Scottish and Irish slang.   Within them, "Snoter" was
   connected to babies with what came out of their noses, but
   there were also a reference within the Royal University of
   Scir-Hafoc about someone teaching ten or more times.
   Then there is a reference to the "Snoter Stone", which is a
   historical site.

   Does any E-Sylum reader know this word or have a reference
   to it?  I will keep the letter and the half note until after the
   article is published so if you want a copy of both, I can send
   it to you.  Then I will mail it to Larry Lee, ANA Curator, as
   a donation to the ANA collection.  This will allow future
   researchers to find it if they ever run across "snoter" in their
   research.

   Please contact this editor and/or me at
   Howard at SEAsianTreasury.com if you know anything or
   want to guess about "short snoter."

RAILROAD STOCK CERTIFICATES BOOK SOUGHT

   "My abstract for ANS, NL136: COX, TERRY, with SAM
   WITHERS. Stocks and Bonds of North American Railroads:
   collectors' guide with values. Port Clinton, Ohio, BNR Press
   1995. 256pp illus. ISBN 0-931960-46-0.

   8559 certificate types and varieties, from hundreds of railroads
   (all known issues from over 17,200 railroads known to have
   existed in North America), are listed, described, and valued.
   Almost 50 pages of background to collecting these certificates,
   including thumbnail biographies of over 230 prominent issuers
   and signers of certificates, supplement the catalog listings.

   Additional info of interest to the bibliophile: 4to perfect bound
   (illustrated card covers).

   The listings are alphabetical by company name, so there is no
   way to isolate (for enumeration) the Canadian listings.

TOPIC OF THE WEEK

   Dan Gosling's topic of the week is: Plagiarism
   He writes: "Can anyone provide numismatic examples of
   blatant plagiarism and the penalties levied against the plagiarist?
   I ran across an obvious copy of an early Charlton Canadian
   Coin Catalogue in the Bank of Canada Currency Museum
   Library last year.  Inside was an interesting letter advising
   the author to cease and desist."

INTERNET COIN FRAUDS

   Kavan Ratnatunga writes: "The following link
   documents eBay auction activity that should be of
   interest to E-Sylum readers. [NOTE: the page has many
   images and takes time to load. -Editor]

   http://www.chijanofuji.com/online_liquidators.html

   This is a complicated issue, but maybe a large organization
   like ANA should be able to maintain a educational website
   and request eBay to send that URL to every buyer of a coin
   on a "Private Auction"

   I find it amazing to find Bidiots paying a total of $14,900 to
   buy 80 replica coins Private Auctioned on eBay as genuine.
   On the long term it can only hurt the numismatic market."

REVERSIBLE BANKNOTE SPECIMENS

   This week I came across an interesting item in a paper
   money collection.  It was accompanied by an undated article
   which appears to be from Coin World circa early 1960s.
   It's a $5 "specimen" note produced by an inventor hoping to
   sell his idea to the U.S. government.

   "The dollars are "reversible banknotes," $1, $5, $10 and $20
   bills of a copyrighted design that has the same general
   appearance front or back, right-side-up or up-side-down.
   Invented by Rene Laflamme, a Hull, Quebec pharmacist,
   "reversible" money made its first appearance earlier this year
   as $1 notes on the mythical "Bank of Cadana," and the design
   was submitted for the consideration of Canada's central bank."

   Has anyone seen or heard of these before?"

DUMB BANK ROBBER TALE

   A web page tells the following tale of a none-too-bright bank
   robber in San Francisco.  No source is cited, so it's anyone's
   guess if the story is true, but it's amusing nevertheless.

   "A man, wanting to rob a downtown Bank of America, walked
   into the branch and wrote "this iz a stikkup. Put all your muny
   in this bag."  While standing in line, waiting to give his note to
   the teller, he began to worry that someone had seen him write
   the note and might call the police before he reached the teller
   window. So he left the Bank of America and crossed the street
   to Wells Fargo. After waiting a few minutes in line, he handed
   his note to the Wells Fargo teller. She read it and, surmising
   from his spelling errors that he was not the brightest light in the
   harbor, told him that she could not accept his stickup note
   because it was written on a Bank of America deposit slip and
   that he would either have to fill out a Wells Fargo deposit slip
   or go back to Bank of America.

   Looking somewhat defeated, the man said "OK" and left. The
   Wells Fargo teller then called the police who arrested the man
   a few minutes later, as he was waiting in line back at Bank of
   America."

   http://www.funpages.com/dumbcriminals/

FEATURED WEB PAGES

   This week's featured web pages are about postage currency
   contributed to an 1873 time capsule in the Rochester, NY
   Old City Hall building.  "The copper box, measuring one foot
   by one foot by one foot, was retrieved on September 11,
   1999."

      http://www.rmsc.org/capsule/2000%201%20288.htm
      http://www.rmsc.org/capsule/

  Wayne Homren
  Numismatic Bibliomania Society

  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a
  non-profit organization promoting numismatic
  literature.   For more information please see
  our web site at http://www.coinbooks.org/
  There is a membership application available on
  the web site.  To join, print the application and
  return it with your check to the address printed
  on the application. For those without web access,
  write to W. David Perkins, NBS Secretary-Treasurer,
  P.O. Box 212, Mequon, WI  53092-0212.

  For Asylum mailing address changes and other
  membership questions, contact David at this email
  address: wdperki at attglobal.net

  To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum,
  just Reply to this message, or write to the Editor
  at this address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

   (To be removed from the E-Sylum mailing list
   send an email message with the word "Unsubscribe"
   in the body of the message to: esylum-request at binhost.com)