The E-Sylum v7#51, December 19, 2004

whomren at coinlibrary.com whomren at coinlibrary.com
Tue Dec 21 13:57:18 PST 2004

Welcome to The E-Sylum: Volume 7, Number 51, December 19, 2004:
an electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
Copyright (c) 2004, The Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

EMAIL SYSTEM UPDATE

   This E-Sylum issue is being distributed on Monday,
   December 20, 2004.  We will adhere to a Monday publishing
   schedule for at least the next few weeks.  Thanks again for
   everyone's understanding and patience while we work
   through our email problems.

   All current subscribers remain subscribed through the new
   system.   We currently have 702 registered subscribers.

   Those wishing to become new subscribers (or to
   Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

   The automated archives from September 2002 to date are
   now available at:
   http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum/

   The full, lovingly hand-edited archive remains at the
   NBS web site, http://www.coinbooks.org/

   To submit items for publication, continue to email them
   to me at whomren at coinlibrary.com.  Keep those cards and
   letters coming, and happy holidays!

LAKE SALE #77 PRL AVAILABLE

   Fred Lake writes: "The prices realized list for our sale
   #77 which closed on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 at 5:00 PM
   EST, is now available for viewing on the Lake Books web
   Site at:  http://www.lakebooks.com/archive.html There you
   will find the PDF and MS Word links under that sale number.

   The sale was quite successful, with 90% of the lots being
   sold and very strong prices realized for some of the
   rarities offered from the estate of John M. Ward, Jr.
   and the library of Robert Doyle.

   Our next sale will close on February 15, 2005 and the
   catalog will be available for viewing in early January.
   Selections from the library of Jack Haymond will be
   featured.

   Our best Seasons Greetings to all,    Fred"

NUMISMATIC FILM MAKER'S KILLER APPREHENDED

   Dick Johnson writes: "The driver of the truck which ran
   over and killed Michael Craven in a "road rage" incident
   April 30, 2000 on LA's Ventura Freeway has been tracked
   to Armenia. He was extradited to California late November
   2004 and is now charged with three felony counts,
   including the murder of the numismatic film maker. Craven
   died of injuries from that incident. (Reported here in
   The E-Sylum vol 3, no 19, May 7, 2000.)

   Craven had produced three numismatic videos and had been
   working on a major film on the history of America's coins.
   He had over seven hours of film - including interviews
   with U.S. Treasury officials and prominent numismatists
   -- he had nearly completed the filming before editing the
   material for a multi-part series.

   Among the videos Craven had produced included "The Granite
   Lady" on the San Francisco Mint and "The Medal Maker,"
   narrated by former Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint Elizabeth
   Jones, on sculptor Laura Gardin Fraser. [In addition to
   writing the filmscript for that later video, I was working
   with Mike on a history of the Philadelphia Mint's Third
   Building at 16th and Spring Garden Streets -- America's
   first truly modern mint -- for its 2001 centennial. His
   death halted that project.]"

GOOGLE INDEXING BOOKS OF MAJOR LIBRARIES

   From Forbes magazine:
   "Google just made the Internet significantly bigger
   -- at least for the worlds of search and book
   publishing.

   The Mountain View, Calif., search engine company has
   reached agreements with Harvard University, The
   University of Michigan, Stanford University, Oxford
   University, and The New York Public Library to scan
   their books and make the digitized contents searchable.
   Up to 50 million titles are involved, including titles
   held in common by the libraries.

   The project, which will probably take five or more
   years to complete, will deliver a database of volumes
   that Google users can search. Users will be able to
   download entire volumes in the database that are not
   under copyright protection. Books under copyright
   will be excerpted at varying lengths, depending on
   whether Google has agreements with their publishers
   to carry longer excerpts."

   To read the full article:
   http://www.forbes.com/2004/12/14/cz_qh_1214google.html

   From the New York Times:
   "It may be only a step on a long road toward the
   long-predicted global virtual library. But the
   collaboration of Google and research institutions ...
   is a major stride in an ambitious Internet effort by
   various parties. The goal is to expand the Web
   beyond its current valuable, if eclectic, body of
   material and create a digital card catalog and
   searchable library for the world's books, scholarly
   papers and special collections."

   "Within two decades, most of the world's knowledge
   will be digitized and available, one hopes for free
   reading on the Internet, just as there is free
   reading in libraries today," said Michael A. Keller,
   Stanford University's head librarian."

   To read the full article:
   http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/14/technology/14google.html

   From the Associated Press:
   "The Michigan and Stanford libraries are the only
   two so far to agree to submit all their material to
   Google's scanners.

   The New York library is allowing Google to include a
   small portion of its books no longer covered by
   copyright while Harvard is confining its participation
   to 40,000 volumes so it can gauge how well the process
   works. Oxford wants Google to scan all its books
   originally published before 1901."

   "This is the day the world changes," said John Wilkin,
   a University of Michigan librarian working with Google.
   "It will be disruptive because some people will worry
   that this is the beginning of the end of libraries.
   But this is something we have to do to revitalize the
   profession and make it more meaningful."

   To read the full article:
   http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/041214/googling_libraries_4.html

   From the Boston Globe:
   "Company spokeswoman Susan Wojcicki said the project
   is the fulfillment of a dream for founders Sergey Brin
   and Larry Page. "This is something the founders wanted
   to do before they even started Google," she said. "The
   mission of the company, from the day it started, was
   to organize the world's information and make it easily
   accessible."

   But Google also hopes that its book search service will
   give it a major edge over rival search services, including
   an up-and-coming challenge from software titan Microsoft
   Corp. "Google has constantly over time always been
   increasing our search index," said Wojcicki. "Having a
   more comprehensive search engine . . . leads to, we
   believe, a better product." In turn, that means more
   visitors to Google's search service, which makes money
   by selling advertisements."

   To read the full article:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/12/14/google_to_inde
x_works_at_harvard_other_major_libraries/

   How does this commercial effort affect nonprofit efforts
   to digitize some of the same material?  In earlier E-Sylums
   we discussed the "million book" plans.  From the San Jose
   Mercury News:

   "Libraries from India, China, Egypt, Canada and the
   Netherlands, for instance, are working with the San
   Francisco-based non-profit Internet Archive on a plan to
   create a publicly available digital archive of one million
   books on the Internet.

   "The public domain belongs to the public and should be
   publicly accessible without running only into commercial
   interests,'' said Brewster Kahle, founder and president of
   the Internet Archive. ``There's room for both, and I hope
   that we do not evolve into an either-or situation."

   To read the full article:
   http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/10416638.htm

   Bill  Rosenblum writes: "My son works for the University
   of Michigan library as a digital librarian (whatever that
   is) and has been involved in the acquisition of scholarly
   publications to be put on line.  He told me that he and
   his colleagues were told of the Google plan about two
   hours before the press release and were as surprised as
   most everybody else."

   Dick Johnson adds: "It made news this week. Five major
   libraries in U.S. and U.K. agreed to have their books of
   greatest scholarly interest digitized and will be placed
   on Google's website for anyone in the world to access.
   This continued a plan announced earlier, and reported
   in E-Sylum last week, that a group of libraries in the
   U.S., Canada, Netherlands, Egypt and China plan to
   digitize one million books, with 70,000 available by
   April 2005.

   The five major libraries who have agreed to open their
   stacks are Harvard, University of Michigan, Stanford
   and the New York Public Library in the U.S. and Oxford
   University in England. The agreement with each library
   differs. Harvard's agreement is limited to 40,000 volumes,
   in contrast to the full collections at Stanford and
   Michigan; NYPL agreed to "fragile material not under
   copyright."

   This has come about at the present time because Google
   became wealthy from its stock offering last summer. It
   is employing its newly gained wealth to stretch its
   already humongous databank towards a long-predicted
   global virtual library. The cost is estimated at $10
   to digitize each book.

   The digitizing task is labor intensive. It requires
   several people to operate sophisticated scanners whose
   high-resolution cameras capture one page at a time. At
   Stanford Google hopes to scan 50,000 pages a day within
   a month, doubling this amount with more people and
   equipment.

   When this story first broke, December 14th, 629
   newspapers ran the story or commented on it before Google
   took the story down. One of the best was by George Kerevan
   editorializing in Scotsman.com. "I can't wait," he wrote,
   "for Google to get on-line with the Bodleian Library's one
   million books. Yet here's one other thing I learned from
   a physical library space: the daunting scale of human
   knowledge and our inability to truly comprehend only a
   fraction of it."

   How soon until a large number of numismatic works will
   be digitized, perhaps among those millions of books in
   five or more libraries, is yet to be seen. Existing
   numismatic libraries, however, still have a major
   function to perform in gathering bound books and
   documents for present and future numismatic scholars
   to use."

   Kerevan's comments:
   http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=1434442004

   [There are a lot of caveats in Google's ambitious plan;
   for example, Harvard is hedging, wanting proof that the
   process will not damage its holdings.  But it's another
   important step in the march toward digitization.  I
   question the $10/book estimate, for despite all the high-
   tech trappings, the drudgery of scanning and correcting
   text is still a slow process, and time equals money;
   see the following item by Mike Marotta's about the effort
   going into making The Electronic Numismatist.  If Google
   uses gentle but efficient book-scanning robots (which I'm
   not sure exist yet), then perhaps the $10/volume estimate
   is correct, but human editors with subject matter knowledge
   are still likely to do a better job of digitization,
   albeit at a higher price.

   Collectively, how many out-of-copyright numismatic works
   are in those libraries?  More importantly for writers
   and researchers, how many tidbits of numismatic knowledge
   are locked in those pages, currently unseen and unknown?
   As more works become accessible through indexing, more and
   more new numismatic information is likely to become
   available to researchers.  It could indeed be a whole new
   world.  -Editor]

MAKING THE ELECTRONIC NUMISMATIST

   Regarding Jorg Lueke's "The Electronic Numismatist,"
   Michael E. Marotta writes:

   "Bringing these classic volumes to collectors is a great
   service to the hobby.  In Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451",
   the fireman, Montag, explains his fascination with books:
   "Inside each one is a man."  To read the words of Dr.
   George Heath is to share with him the creation of the ANA.
   Even more, these old magazines reveal the world of
   collecting in the early days of our hobby. Of course,
   being able to search text is an incomparable joy.  The
   range and breadth of Heath's interests illuminate many
   aspects of collecting, and serve as a benchmark for the
   most modern research.  Jorg deserves the highest praise
   for this effort.

   In an email to me, Jorg said that the few glitches will
   be fixed in Rev 1.02.  Blank pages fill some spaces, for
   instance. Jorg attributes these to "the relationship
   between the index, bookmarks, and links.  Once all that
   is created they keep the document page numbers correct
   whenever the document is edited.  It will take me probably
   till this weekend to create version 1.02 with consistent
   titleing, no blanks, and a new index."

   In real life Jorg is an IBM mainframe programmer.  He was
   able to draw on standard project management skills when
   creating "The Electronic Numismatist." He said, "I hired
   someone to do the inital scanning and basic editing. They
   could scan some things but not everything due to the type
   style and weakness [of the printing], so they did hand
   key 40-50% of the text.  I then did the next few rounds of
   editing, formatting, indexing etc. ...  the cost benefit
   of my time versus money pointed towards spending the money
   for that portion."  Best of all, from the bibliophile's
   perspective, Jorg worked to keep the original formating
   of Dr. Heath's 19th century typography.

   No doubt, each of us will find our own rewards in owning
   this.  The work is loaded with gems.  At first, Dr. Heath
   accepted no advertising.  Then he relented.  "Thanks to
   the liberality of our advertisers," Heath wrote, "... we
   can see our way reasonably clear to continue THE NUMISMATIST
   at the old subscription price of FIFTY CENTS a year (outside
   the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, two shillings six pence)."

NEW YORK SUBWAY MOTORMAN AMASSED $1 MILLION IN RARE NOTES

   The New York Times published an article December 12
   about Malcolm A. Trask, a New York subway motorman who
   built a remarkable collection of U.S. paper money in the
   1940s and 50s.  His collection languished unnoticed in a
   family closet for years after his death until it was
   discovered by his youngest son, now 75 years old.  The
   collection will be auctioned at the upcoming Florida
   United Numismatists show.

   "One of the most intriguing among the 4,288 lots to be
   sold at the convention, the year's biggest coin and
   currency show, will be the remarkable collection that
   put together during the 1940's and 50's at his small
   apartment in south Yonkers.

   But the real story is not the collection. It's the
   collector. Mr. Trask was a subway motorman with an
   eighth-grade education who died in 1989 at the age of
   88. While raising four children on a working man's
   salary, he somehow amassed one of his era's greatest
   currency collections, only to stash it in a closet
   where it languished, forgotten, until his children
   found it two years ago after his wife died."

   "Mr. Trask was born in Yonkers in 1901, dropped out
   of school after the eighth grade, enlisted in the
   Navy in 1917, and then went to work for 46 years as
   a motorman on the old IRT line.

   The subway was his job. The collection was his passion.
   He began with coins, but by the late 1940's he had
   sold them all to concentrate on paper money, at the
   time an arcane satellite universe. Apparently using
   $20, $40 or $80 he was able to squirrel away, he
   bought at auctions, from dealers or at coin and
   currency shows.

   Every night, his children recall, he would pore over
   ledgers, write in journals, type up notations, compile
   censuses of numismatic arcana. He was one of the
   earliest serious researchers of national bank notes,
   paper money that was issued by more than 11,000 banks
   between 1865 and 1933 and was about 20 percent larger
   in size than current bills.

   "The truly incredible thing about this collection is
   that a guy with no formal education, utterly limited
   resources and almost no research material available
   could pick so well and build a collection that would
   be significant a half-century later," said Allen
   Mincho, a director of Heritage-Currency Auctions of
   America and a currency expert who researched and
   catalogued the collection. "He clearly had the eye.
   But how he knew just what to pick, I really don't
   know. I've sold plenty of million-dollar collections,
   but none where the initial investment was so low,
   the returns so high, and the overall quality so
   amazing."

   To read the full article, see:
   http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/12/nyregion/12towns.html

   [A search of the Internet and the Numismatic Index
   of Periodicals (NIP) turned up no references to Mr.
   Trask.  Did he leave any traces of his research in
   the world of numismatics?  Had anyone heard of him
   before his collection came to light?

   For those who may not be familiar with it, the NIP
   index is online at this address:
   http://www.harrybassfoundation.org/search_numlit.asp
   -Editor]

WEISMULLER OLYMPIC MEDAL RETURNED TO RANSACKED MUSEUM

   On December 15, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel published a
   story revealing that the International Swimming Hall of
   Fame's extensive Olympic collection had been looted of
   over $500,000 worth of rare medals:

   "A man with a secret past who landed a temporary job as a
   janitor at the International Swimming Hall of Fame wasted
   little time before stealing more than 100 Olympic medals
   and other irreplaceable memorabilia, police said Wednesday.

   Paul Nichols Christow, 48, had unfettered access to the
   museum's impressive Olympic collection when no one else
   was around. He stole nearly $500,000 worth of gold, silver
   and bronze, police said. Among the loot was Hollywood star
   Johnny Weismuller's 1924 medals, a medal from the first
   modern Olympic games and an ancient Greek medal.

   The Hall of Fame's collection was so large that he operated
   undetected for months.

   Early this month, a museum worker noticed some medals
   missing from a display case. About the same time, an
   Olympic memorabilia collector contacted the Hall of Fame
   to say he had just purchased a group of medals on the
   Internet. Police traced the theft to Christow, set up a
   sting, caught him on tape trying to sell more Olympic
   goods, and arrested him last week.

   Investigators recovered about half of what was stolen
   and are hopeful they will find the rest."

   "He posed as a paralegal looking to liquidate an anonymous
   family's estate. Marty Bookston, of Double Eagle Rare Coins
   in Hollywood, had never seen a real Olympic medal before,
   but he gave the man $250 for two medals and posted them on
   eBay for an opening bid of $9.99 apiece."

   Those knowledgeable about the value of such medals can
   only gasp at the opening bid - later just one of a group of
   50 medals was sold to a California collector for $10,000.
   The article goes on to describe how alert eBay users notified
   the museum about medals it didn't know were missing.  Police
   enlisted the help of the Hollywood, FL coin dealer and a
   North Carolina collector to snare the thief in a sting
   operation.

   "Christow was charged with two counts of dealing in stolen
   property and two counts of grand theft over $100,000.

   "I grew up with Johnny Weismuller on TV," said Gerry
   Machurick, the burglary detective who worked the case,
   "so to be a part of preserving history is pretty
   incredible."

   http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/10426013.htm

WHEAT IMAGES ON COINS AND BANKNOTES SOUGHT

   The United States Botanic Gardens (USBG) in Washington D.C.
   is seeking images of North American and European currency
   and coins showing images of wheat.  These are for inclusion
   in a video under production.  Has a list of such items ever
   been compiled?  A comprehensive list would include hundreds
   of items, given that wheat and other grains were a common
   theme on many obsolete bank note vignettes. Can anyone
   suggest a starting point for such a list?

CORRECTION: CHARLES I BEHEADED IN 1649

   Responding to last week's items by Florence Prusmack's on
   Isaac Newton, Bob Lyall writes: "Charles I was not beheaded
   in 1630, it was January 1648/9 (1648 old style, 1649 by our
   calendar)."

KANSAS HOBO NICKEL CARVER FEATURED IN ARTICLE

   On December 18, the Associated Press published an article
   about a rare breed of engraver - a modern-day Hobo Nickel
   carver, Bob Finlay:

   "In the 1980s, Finlay took on the hobby of engraving. It
   started with guns and later turned to knives.

   He said he spent 100 to 200 hours on one knife. Looking at
   the jewel-encrusted daggers with ornate carvings, it's easy
   to see why he has embraced nickels.

   The coins take him an average of 10 to 12 hours, and he has
   finished about 50 so far.

   On a recent evening, Finlay was taking background metal out
   of a nickel, one of 10 he was carving for a collector. A
   hobo holding a pick ax along railroad tracks was already
   visible.

   Finlay's glasses were pressed up against a microscope
   focused on the nickel, as his thick fingers finessed what
   he called a miniature jackhammer, a small tool powered by
   compressed air that delivers rapid strokes into the metal.

   Cake crumbs rested on the table below Finlay's mouth.
   Working in the evenings and on weekends, it's not unusual
   for him to skip a meal.

   "It's nothing if I work 10 hours straight, or 11, 12," he
   said.

   The Original Hobo Nickel Society has nicknamed Finlay "The
   Excavator" for his propensity to dig deep into the nickel.
   He does it to make the subject stand out. One of the things
   that makes him unique is his ability to make those small,
   full-figure hobos. Nobody else has done that.

   "I like to make things more 3D than 2D," Finlay said. "Most
   people have never seen a nickel, one that's been carved,
   and it's fun to carve something that they haven't seen."

   http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/10446456.htm

BILINKSI INVESTMENT GUIDE REVEIWED

   Regarding Dick Johnson's discussion of Bilinski's work
   on U.S. collector demographics, Bob Leonard writes:
   "I've got a copy of the second edition of Dr. Robert
   Bilinski's A Guide To Coin Investment, copyright 1958.
   The text is mimeographed (!) on two colors of paper.
   To answer Dick's question, the collector demographics
   material appears in Chapter IV, pp. 20-65.  Bilinski
   was nothing if not precise [Dave Bowers would choke on
   this claimed accuracy]:  "There are currently 2,118,250
   coin collectors over 13 years of age in the United
   States; this figure represents an increase of 178,250
   over the 1957 total...There are 53,000 hard-core
   collectors...individuals who collect coins with all
   the interest and energy they can muster [not, thank
   goodness, collectors of "hard core"]...882,000 active
   collectors...210,000 fringe collectors...746,000 passive
   collectors...227,250 temporary collectors."  Taken as
   rough ratios, these numbers may have some meaning.

   Skipping over the distribution of collectors by state
   ("South Dakota...4,236", etc.), we come to AGE DISTRIBUTION
   OF COLLECTORS IN THE UNITED STATES (pp. 23-4).  This is
   presented as a bar chart, so I can't quote any figures,
   but the tallest bar is 46-55, with 36-45 second.  I
   believe that Numismatic News just completed a readership
   survey, and the average age of a NN reader was 59.  I
   think this is borne out by recent surveys at the ANA and
   Coin World, i.e., that the average ANA member/Coin World
   reader is in his late 50s.  So there does seem to have
   been some aging of collectors since Dr. Bilinski's 1958
   survey, though his inclusion of "passive" and "temporary"
   collectors may have skewed the results.

   Leafing through this book, one is struck by how utterly
   useless it is as a guide to coin investment for our
   time.  None of the things now considered important (MS 65
   or better condition, certified by a major grading service,
   rainbow toning, Deep Mirror Cameo, Registry Set Quality,
   recovered from a famous shipwreck, etc.) is even
   contemplated, let alone considered.  But it was right on
   target for the late 50s - early 60s, with Bilinski's
   forecasted prices for future years being quickly surpassed.
   There is a lesson here for anyone presuming to advise
   others on long-term investment in hard assets."

GOLDEN DOLLAR ARTICLE COULD CAUSE STAMPEDE

   Bill  Rosenblum writes: "The Denver Post of December 12th
   had an article titled "Unpopular Coin Now Golden. The
   article, as usual for a mainstream publication by
   someone who knows little about numismatics, contained
   numerous half truths that will of course lead the public
   to believe that their Sacagawea dollars are worth "as
   much as $500 among collectors". I can see people lining
   up at coin stores trying to sell the coins for hundreds
   of dollars and when told what they are really worth will,
   of course, be angry at the coin dealer.  Both James
   Taylor of ICG and Doug Mudd, curator of the ANA museum
   are quoted in the article or perhaps paraphrased."

   To read the article, see:
   http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E11676%257E2590226,00.html

U.S. PATTERN SITE UPDATED WITH SPLASHER IMAGES

   Saul Teichman writes: "Here are seven splashers some of
   whose existence was unconfirmed or not seen by modern
   researchers until now:

   http://uspatterns.com/uspatterns/p3161.html
   http://uspatterns.com/uspatterns/p3257.html

   http://uspatterns.com/uspatterns/p3049.html
    (2nd known example)

   http://uspatterns.com/uspatterns/p3070.html
   http://uspatterns.com/uspatterns/p3019.html
    (2nd known example)

   http://uspatterns.com/uspatterns/p3140.html
    (4th known example)

   http://uspatterns.com/uspatterns/p3064.html

HOW TO PRODUCE A BOOK

   Morten Eske Mortensen writes; "At this weblink I have
   translated a (satirical) text into English concerning
   book production:

   http://home.worldonline.dk/mem/info/nybogUS.htm

AMAZON CUSTOMER SUPPORT NUMBER

   Tom Fort forwarded the following from the online magazine
   Slate.  Those who have placed book and other orders with
   Amazon.com and been perplexed trying to find human
   assistance may find  the Amazon customer support phone
   number useful,  particularly in this last week before the
   Christmas holiday.  I've not tried the number, and for
   all I know it may have already been changed to hide it
   again.  But here goes:

   "A journalist, if he's lucky, gets at most one chance in
   life to leave a lasting legacy. Jacob Riis exposed the
   horrors of tenement life. John Hersey limned the agonies
   that befell individual Japanese when the Enola Gay dropped
   the first atom bomb. Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein
   exposed the dark crimes and vile corruption at the heart
   of the Nixon administration.

   And me? If, after my journey is ended through this vale
   of tears, I should be favored with remembrance, it will
   likely be for the succor I provided holiday shoppers.
   It was I who discovered the customer service number
   for Amazon.com.

   1-800-201-7575

   In this season of celebration, I have received many
   e-mails from readers prostrate with gratitude that,
   like Stanley tramping through the African jungle in
   search of Livingstone, I dug this number out from the
   Web's darkest recesses and shared it with the world.
   I offer it here again for those who didn't think to
   Google the words "Amazon" and "phone number."

   1-800-201-7575"

   To read the full article, see:
   http://slate.com/id/2091623

FEATURED WEB SITE

   This week's featured web site is HistoricalArtMedals.com,
   featuring the medal collection of Benjamin Weiss.
   "Welcome to my collection of Historical and Commemorative
   Medals. At this site you will find images and descriptions
   of over 300 medals, both European and American, dating
   from the 16th through the 19th centuries."

      http://www.historicalartmedals.com/

  Wayne Homren
  Numismatic Bibliomania Society

  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a
  non-profit organization promoting numismatic
  literature.   For more information please see
  our web site at http://www.coinbooks.org/
  There is a membership application available on
  the web site.  To join, print the application and
  return it with your check to the address printed
  on the application. Membership is only $15 to
  addresses in North America, $20 elsewhere.
  For those without web access, write to W. David
  Perkins, NBS Secretary-Treasurer,
  P.O. Box 3888, Littleton, CO  80161-3888.

  For Asylum mailing address changes and other
  membership questions, contact David at this email
  address: wdperki at attglobal.net

  To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum,
  just Reply to this message, or write to the Editor
  at this address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

  Those wishing to become new subscribers (or wishing
  to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page: