The E-Sylum v10#13, April 1, 2007

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Sun Apr 1 21:32:25 PDT 2007

Welcome to The E-Sylum: Volume 10, Number 13, April 1, 2007:
an electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
Copyright (c) 2007, The Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS

Among our recent subscribers are Caroline Holmes of A. H. Baldwin
& Sons Ltd., and Don Neumann.  Welcome aboard!  We now have 1,090
subscribers.

This week's issue opens with an announcement of the latest numismatic
literature sale from Lake Books, but that's not the announcement that
people are talking about.  If you haven't heard the news, read on.

Other than THAT, this week's issue has a little more information on
the Heritage-Superior catalog plagiarism case, more great sources for
researching old newspapers online, and follow-ups on a number of
earlier topics, including father-daughter author teams in numismatic
literature.

Congress awarded another Congressional Gold Medal this week, the
Denver Mint began striking the Washington state quarters, and NPR got
funny with numismatics.  To find out about the new OPA-style tokens
and (on a different topic) why some people avoid buying coins of
"debauched fat Roman emperors with double chins," read on.  Have a
great week, everyone.

Wayne Homren
Numismatic Bibliomania Society

LAKE BOOKS SALE #88 CATALOG AVAILABLE

Fred Lake of Lake Books writes: "Our 88th mail-bid sale of numismatic
literature which has a closing date of April 24, 2007 is now available
for viewing on our web site at: http://www.lakebooks.com/current.html

"The 392-lot catalog covers all phases of the numismatic experience.
A number of scarce and desirable books are offered, such as an original
Wayte Raymond re-issue of the Ard W. Browning book on Early Quarter
Dollars, a nice three-volume set of "The Coinage of Scotland" by Edward
Burns, a copy of the Stack's "A.C. Gies Collection of Half Dollars"
hardbound and priced, a number of the Roman Imperial Coinage issues,
and many issues of the "British Numismatic Journal".

"Bids may be placed by email, fax, telephone or traditional mail
service. Please remember that tie bids are won by the earliest bid
received."

PARTHIA SITE UPDATE MARKS NINTH ANNIVERSARY ONLINE

Chris Hopkins, writing in the CoinWebs Yahoo group this week, notes
that "Parthia.com celebrated its 9th anniversary online. The site has
grown to more than 460 web pages about Parthia, and is the number #1
ranked site for "Parthia" searches on Google, Yahoo!, and other major
search engines. There have been nearly 1/3 of a million total visitors
to the home page alone, and the web site logs more than 1,200 visitors
per day with an average visit time of nine minutes.

"To mark this anniversary, the site has been completely revamped to
comply with new technical standards for Unicode fonts and the latest
Internet web browsers, while retaining the same distinctive classical
appearance.

"Parthia.com is an noncommercial educational web site about the
Parthians and their sub-kingdoms of Characene, Elymais and Persis.
The primary focus is on numismatics, but the site is not just a virtual
coin collection. Visiting Parthia.com, will give you insight into
Parthian art, history, archaeology, geography and more. It is an
excellent place to find references to books, articles, maps and
other resources for further study.

"Please take this opportunity to visit the "new" Parthia.com.
http://www.parthia.com ."

BLOCKBUSTER ANNOUNCEMENT: ANA, ANS TO MERGE; DUPLICATE SALE PLANNED

Following on the heels of the recent merger of leading numismatic
auction houses Stack's and American Numismatic Rarities, the two
leading U.S. nonprofit numismatic organizations announced this weekend
that a long-rumored merger has come to pass.  In a joint statement,
the leadership of the American Numismatic Society (founded 1858) and
the American Numismatic Association (founded 1891) acknowledged the
financial and organizational obstacles that each has encountered in
recent years, but focused on many positive aspects of the combined
organization.

"These past months have been both draining and exhilarating for our
boards and top officers.  The secret meetings, late-night negotiation
sessions, and endless discussions of details often devolved into
recriminations and tears.  We are clearly two organizations that care
deeply for our members, history and traditions.  Yet the talks were
infused with a sense of great hope and promise for the future, which
we feel is being realized today.  We know many of our members will feel
the same sets of contrasting emotions that all of us did in coming to
this joint decision, one which we trust and pray that in the end the
numismatic community will embrace with the same sense of hope for the
future."

The new organization will be called the American Numismatic Trust.
No staff layoffs are planned, but headcount will be reduced through
attrition.  Effective immediately, the popular glossy magazine-format
monthly publications Numismatist and American Numismatic Society
Magazine will be combined into one 25%-larger issue called simply
"Coin".  Organizational news will be published mostly electronically.
The separate ANA and ANS web sites will be merged by year end.

The biggest surprise concerns the new organization's headquarters
building, which had been rumored to be the biggest stumbling block
in the negotiations. Although both sides had dug in their heels in
defense of their existing operations in Colorado Springs and New York
City, a compromise was finally brokered by a team of angel backers
led by well-known dealer Q. David Bowers, which donated an historic
building at 225 N. Holliday St. in Baltimore, Maryland.

Erected in 1813 by Rembrandt Peale, son of the famed portraitist
Charles Willson Peale, it was the first building in the Western
Hemisphere created to serve as a museum.  After years of mixed success,
in 1830 the building was acquired by the city of Baltimore and later
became the home of "Number 1 Colored Primary School".  In subsequent
years the building was used for storage and fell into disrepair.  But
with today's announcement, the grand building, just blocks from
Baltimore's famed Inner Harbor, stands to rise again as a leading
museum.

ANS leaders contacted privately admitted that "we looked around and
realized we hadn't gotten around to unpacking all this stuff from
our last move anyway, so what the heck, we might as well move again."
The ANS' current exhibit at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York will
remain for at least two years, when a new satellite exhibit will occupy
a special place at the new Museum of American Finance at 48 Wall Street.
The Museum's founder John E. Herzog said he was "delighted with the
new arrangement, which ensures that many numismatic treasures will
remain available to the public here in New York."

In Colorado Springs, CO, a similar arrangement has been made with the
trustees of Colorado College, which will keep the main level of the
old ANA building open as a museum after the purchasing the building
and grounds by year end.  Former ANA employees staying in Colorado
Springs will move to a smaller suite of rented offices nearby.  In a
similar move, New York-based employees will move to smaller rented
space while the ANS building is emptied and sold.

Funds from the building sales and planned auctions of duplicates from
the organizations' famed collections and libraries will replenish the
combined organization's endowment fund.

Officials stated "We're shooting for a grand opening of the new
building Friday, August 1, 2008, in conjunction with the "World's
Fair of Money" convention planned by the ANA for the Baltimore
Convention Center."

American Numismatic Association elections, scheduled to begin next
month, have been cancelled, and the terms of both Executive Directors
have been extended through December 31, 2012.  "At first we kidded
about holding a kickboxing tournament at the 2007 Numismatic Literary
Guild Bash to determine who gets the top post, but some people didn't
get the joke. I dunno, they're both tough cookies - we coulda sold
some serious tickets."

NUMISMATIC PLAGIARISM UPDATE

The March 27 issue of Numismatic News has an article by David L. Ganz
on the litigation between numismatic auction firms Heritage and
Superior over alleged plagiarism of auction catalog descriptions.
Heritage filed a complaint with the U. S. District Court for the
Northern District of Texas against Superior, which in turn filed a
counterclaim against Heritage.  Ganz notes that the full text of the
complaints is available for a fee on the court's web site.  See the
following URLs.  PACER is the Public Access to Court Electronic
Records system.

http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/
http://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov/

Ganz mentions the Maine Antiques Digest article on the suit; see
below for a link to our initial E-Sylum item on the article and suit.