The E-Sylum v11#34, August 24, 2008

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Sun Aug 24 19:54:36 PDT 2008

    The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 34, August 24, 2008
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM AUGUST 24, 2008
<#a01>
**
LAKE BOOKS: SALE #94 PRL AVAILABLE; SALE #95 CLOSING NOVEMBER 4, 2008
<#a02>
**
KOLBE NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE #106 CATALOG AVAILABLE
<#a03>
**
SKLOW NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE #5 CATALOG AVAILABLE
<#a04>
**
BOOK IN PROGRESS: JOHN J. FORD AND THE FRANKLIN HOARD
<#a05>
**
NEW BOOK: ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SMALL SILVER COINS BY ROGER DEWARDT LANE
<#a06>
**
ARTICLE EXPLORES THE 1869 AJN LEVICK PLATE OF 1793 CENTS
<#a07>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS
<#a08>
**
QUERY: METAL DETECTORIST FINDS J.L POLHEMUS COUNTERSTAMP ON FRENCH COIN
<#a09>
**
QUERY: WHAT IS THE MARKET FOR CD-ONLY NUMISMATIC BOOKS?
<#a10>
**
IRA REED 1907 JAMESTOWN EXPOSITION MATERIAL APPEARING ON MARKET
<#a11>
**
CARSON CITY SESQUICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION REPORT
<#a12>
**
ERIC NEWMAN: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE FRANKLIN HOARD $20 USAOG COINS
<#a13>
**
QUERY: HOW TO COUNT REEDS ON A COIN'S EDGE?
<#a14>
**
STACK'S SEPTEMBER COIN GALLERIES SALE
<#a15>
**
IT'S NOT THE OLYMPIC MEDALS, IT'S THE OLYMPIC METTLE
<#a16>
**
I.O.U.S.A: NUMISMATIC ICONS & U.S. CURRENCY SIGNERS
<#a17>
**
BRITISH ARCHAEOLOGISTS FINDING COINS OF MANY ERAS AT DIG SITE
<#a18>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: CASTINE AND THE OLD COINS FOUND THERE
<#a19>

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM AUGUST 24, 2008

Among our recent subscribers are Jeff Tolson and Greg Anglin.
Welcome aboard! We now have 1,179 subscribers.

Some of you have had trouble reaching me via the whomren at coinlibrary.com address.  An alternate is whomren at gmail.com.

This week we open with information on the latest numismatic literature sales from Fred Lake, George Kolbe and David Sklow.  A new book is in the works on John J. Ford and the "Franklin Hoard", and Rodger dewardt Lane creates a print-on-demand version of his book on small size silver coins.  Next, we highlight a great article by Jim Neiswinter on the famous 1869 AJN Levick Plate of 1793 Large Cents.

Queries this week cover a newly discovered J.L. Polhemus counterstamped coin, numismatic books published on CDs, and how to count edge reeds.  In follow-ons to earlier E-Sylum items, we learn about 1907 Jamestown Exposition material coming to market, Will Robins provides a report on the Carson City sesquicentennial celebration, and Eric Newman gives us more background on the $20 U.S. Assay Office of Gold forgeries.

In the news are items about a new documentary film and the discoveries of British archaeologists who uncovered coins made centuries apart as the same dig site.  And oh, yeah, today's my birthday!  Thanks to Nick Graver for remembering.

To learn the difference between two Ira Reeds, read on. Have a great week, everyone.

Wayne Homren
 Numismatic Bibliomania Society

LAKE BOOKS: SALE #94 PRL AVAILABLE; SALE #95 CLOSING NOVEMBER 4, 2008

Fred Lake of Lake Books writes:

The prices realized list for our sale #94 of numismatic literature has been posted to our web site at:

www.lakebooks.com/archive.html

Our next sale will be held on November 4, 2008 and will feature selections from the library of John T. Hamilton III.

KOLBE NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE #106 CATALOG AVAILABLE

George Kolbe's 106th sale of numismatic literature closes September 18th, 2008.  On the cover is part of lot 493, a letter to Jeremiah Colburn by Mint Director James Ross Snowden.

>From the catalog:

Holograph letter to Jeremiah Colburn, on Mint stationery, pertaining to "Washington National Medals." Philadelphia, February 27, 1861.

An evocative, most interesting document. Several weeks before standing down as Mint Director, Snowden writes,: "I have received your letter of the 25th inst with the enclosures stated. The book – 'Washington and National Medals" – will be sent to you by express according to your directions. I will, as requested, put your name on the list of those who desire copies a set of the National Medals, to be struck from the dies in the Mint. I thank you for the copper coins of Ferdinand II (King Bomba) and will place them in the Cabinet. As an honorarium for your gift I send you the "golden wedding" medal. See page 115, no. 47 in my book of medals."

Reflecting the ethos of the day, Snowden clearly had no reservations about restriking medals from Mint dies. In the closing portion of the chapter entitled "A Workshop for Their Gain" (pages 177-192 in The U. S. Mint and Coinage …, New York, Arco Publishing Company, 1966), Don Taxay observes:

"The 'retirement' of Franklin Peale closed a chapter in the history of scandals which distinguish the second Philadelphia Mint. But that was all it did. Director Snowden, for example, was so intrigued by Peale's collection of coin and medal dies that he soon hatched a scheme of his own. Snowden wished to complete the collection of Washington medals in the Mint cabinet, and to augment the modest appropriation set aside for this purpose, he ordered the restriking of rare coins and patterns which had trade value."

While nowadays such practices are viewed with disdain in many numismatic quarters, one may ponder if the current striking of a plethora of United States coins for profit or pet fundraising efforts differs in any meaningful degree. At least in the old days no new dies need be engraved!

Snowden served as Director of the Mint from June 1863 until April 1861, and claimed authorship for two major 1861 American numismatic works: the one cited in the letter and his even more popular Mint Manual.

SKLOW NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE #5 CATALOG AVAILABLE

David Sklow's 5th sale of numismatic literature closes October 4, 2008.
The cover features a photo of the old Philadelphia Mint (lot 250).

>From the catalog:

Newell, Robert & Son. PHOTOGRAPH OF YE OLDE MINT IN PHILADELPHIA, PA. Philadelphia, Pa. Sepia tone 197mm x 246mm {7 13/16 x 9 ¾ inches}. This is a photograph of monumental importance concerning the history of the first United States Mint in Philadelphia. The photograph is an original from the Newell negative, not a copy! The obverse exhibits editors cropping marks and lines at top and bottom. The reverse depicts a host of information.

The stamp of R. NEWELL & SONS, COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY, STUDIO ON GROUND FLOOR, 255 South 6th Street, Entrance on Manning St., PHILADELPHIA. There is a line drawn through Newell’s name. Below the Newel stamp is the stamp of Culver Pictures, Inc. 150 West 22nd Street, Suite 300, New York, New York, 10011 (212) 645-1672 and below that is the statement:

This picture is loaned for one reproduction only. Must not be used for advertising without written permission. Original must be returned within 30 days. Obligatory Credit Line, Culver Pictures. Two numbers appear on the reverse also: 049334 and CH4737. Written in pencil toward the top in a circle is Oct. 1922. Culver Studios misattributed the photo to 1922. This photograph is the image that was used in Frank H. Stewart’s work, History of the First United States Mint and appears on page 14. It is well documented that Mr. Stewart hired Newell’s firm to photograph both interior and exterior of the mint.

Interestingly, both the Kolbe and Sklow catalog cover photos feature not books, but numismatic ephemera, an important and interesting area of numismatic literature.  Letters, photos, envelopes, advertising flyers, order forms, draft manuscripts and the like can have great informational value of their own, as well as being very interesting and even fascinating collectibles.  -Editor

BOOK IN PROGRESS: JOHN J. FORD AND THE FRANKLIN HOARD

Karl Moulton writes:

I read with interest that the SPPN meeting at the 2008 ANA resulted in the unanimous classification of the 1853 USAOG $20s and $50s as "transfer die forgeries".  This is the only conclusion possible based on the physical evidence of the pieces, which first came to the marketplace in the spring of 1958.

I'm currently working on a book about John J. Ford, Jr., and the marketing of the "Franklin Hoard" materials.  As many already know, Paul Franklin was the one who delivered most of these pieces to Ford, although he was not the source.

There are different versions (from Ford) as to how and when Franklin acquired these items, and it has been difficult trying to determine the truth.  My work-in-progress book will provide valid source documents to help clarify this situation.  Plans are to have it ready around the end of the year.

NEW BOOK: ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SMALL SILVER COINS BY ROGER DEWARDT LANE

Roger deWardt Lane forwarded the press release for the newest edition of his book on small silver coins.  He writes:

You ran a long item in October 2007 when I posted my e-book free on the Internet for the numismatic community.  I thank you.

Using print-on-demand and the Internet plus my experience with Adobe software, I have just printed my Encyclopedia Small Silver Coins in both hardcover and softcover editions with Lulu.com.

I have pre-sold a dozen copies of the Hard Cover Edition to my club friends and presented the first good 'Proof' copy to my numismatic friend Steve Schor, who spent hundreds of hours editing this edition, after the 'first bad proof' showed them up.

The experience of do-it-yourself publishing has been quite an adventure.  I may write an article on the subject.

The author – Roger deWardt Lane, has published Encyclopedia of Small Silver Coins – in two-printed versions, hardbound and soft cover. This anthology and catalog of Modern Dime Size Silver Coins of the World with Footnotes to History has been in preparation for many years. This publication has expanded many details of the limited series of small silver coins of the world from Queen Victoria to 1970. There are interesting small stories, to place these miniature pieces of art into historical context. Over 1000 coin illustrations have been enlarged four times for ease of viewing.

These coins had a monetary value of less than ten cents, when the value of silver was for a hundred years about fifty cents to the ounce.  Many empires and nations issued on an annual basis millions of these little miniature silver pieces as subsidiary coinage for their population.  Except during times of crisis or war, when species stopped being struck or were hoarded, everywhere people traveled they received these coins in change.  Many found their way to the States, only to be saved as mementos or souvenirs of the trip and miss the melting pot. Some eventually reached the numismatic market place. These factors have combined to make these coins available in our time at reasonable prices, rare types excepted.

When this work was first started, the only date listings originally available were in national coin catalogs of the major countries - United States, England and British Colonies, France, Austria, Russia and China and a few others.  Around the time of the first drafts, many small country listings and catalogs were issued. In the early 1960-70’s, they became the date checklist for the coins added to the collection of the author.

It took many years to research, to transcribe the inscriptions, translate the initials of names, titles, mintmarks, assay initials or marks, and foreign legends, then to find their English translations and expand the text with historical footnotes.

Coin prices are not included, since world economic and political conditions as well as collector interest constantly change the values. The easiest way to find a value of a coin in several condition grades is to make use of the Standard Catalog Series, issued by Krause Publications.

In the mid-1960’s computer technology became available on small PC’s; so the coin images were scanned in grayscale [looks like silver] with the files stored on removable disks.  The software used progressed from Apple to IBM, WordStar to MS-Word.  The early printed pages were produced in Adobe PageMaker, later to be exported to Acrobat, which has been uploaded to the printer for these editions.

This current version, 600 pages, b & w, organized in 101 country chapters has over a thousand coin pictures and a like number of century old clip art taken from original history and travel books, which fill the pages with related photos, from Afghanistan to Yemen.

As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, look at the preview pages offered on the publisher’s site – www.lulu.com and remember the other famous numismatic quote – Buy the book before the coin. Both editions are available thru the Internet and the softcover edition may be ordered through Amazon or your local favorite bookshop.

The 600-page 8.5" x 11", softcover version is $50.  The 8.25" x 10.75" casewrapped hardcover version is $100.  -Editor

For more information, or to order a copy, see:
To read the complete article, see:

SOFTCOVER: Encyclopedia Small Silver Coins by Roger deWardt Lane

(http://www.lulu.com/content/3521660)

HARDCOVER: Encyclopedia Small Silver Coins by Roger deWardt Lane

(http://www.lulu.com/content/3518863)

ARTICLE EXPLORES THE 1869 AJN LEVICK PLATE OF 1793 CENTS

Jim Neiswinter has been studying the famous 1873 Levick plate for some time.  Some of you may recall his great ANA convention exhibit on the topic.  He published an article in the Summer 2008 issue of ANS Magazine, titled Levick, Crosby, and the Plate.  Great articles like this are reason alone for numismatic bibliophiles and researchers to belong to the American Numismatic Society (as well as, of course, NBS!)  Jim shared his manuscript with me and here are a few excerpts.  -Editor

The first, and most famous photographic plate of coins in American Numismatics, was published in the Volume III, April 1869 issue of the American Journal of Numismatics. This plate of 1793 cents with the descriptions of the varieties provided by Sylvester Sage Crosby remains a landmark in numismatic history. The idea for the plate, and the man responsible for putting it all together, was Joseph N. T. Levick.

In the October 1868 AJN issue, editor Levick wrote:

In our next number we intend to furnish Photographic Plates of a number of
Types and Varieties of the Cents of 1793, to be accompanied by detailed
descriptions; and in the meantime we earnestly solicit our subscribers and friends to send us good rubbings or copper-foil impressions of any specimens which they may chance to possess or, if possible, the cents themselves for a short time. Communications on this subject to be sent to J. N. T. Levick, P.O. Box 4318.

It seems that Levick was overly optimistic to think he could get all this together for the November AJN, since he received only three responses to his request for cents. Consequently, he had to write individually to every well known collector and anyone else he had heard of who possessed 1793 cents. Some collectors didn’t think their pieces were fine enough, but Levick wanted to see all their ‘93s because he wanted to know of every existing variety. He wanted to make the photographs as complete as possible by showing every variety in the best possible condition.

Many years ago, Eric Newman found these obverse and reverse “test” photographs loosely laid in his same AJN issue as the regular Levick plate. The writing on the photographs is Levick’s. It matches the writing in his journal of the project, The Book of Rubbings, which is in the ANS Library. The first eleven pages of this journal contain pencil rubbings of cents, followed by hand-written text that includes owner’s names and comments on the coins.

The story of the creation of the plates is a delightful account of the state of nineteenth century numismatics in America, with appearances of many of the top collectors and dealers of the time, including Ebenezer Mason, Mortimer Mackenzie, Edward Cogan, and Sylvester Crosby, who later published
 The United States Coinage of 1793 – Cents and Half Cents in 1897.

Neiswinter also details different varieties of the plate, and has gone to great lengths to create a modern version (available for $100 through the ANS) with new photographs of top condition 1793 Cents.  Congratulations to Jim on the success of his long term project to decipher the history of this landmark in numismatic publishing.  -Editor

THE BOOK BAZARRE

DAVID F. FANNING NUMISMATIC LITERATURE offers fixed price lists on
our Web site at www.fanningbooks.com.
Our upcoming October 28th mail-bid auction will include a wide variety of material including
The 1799 petition of John Vaughan against the U.S. Mint.
dfanning at columbus.rr.com

DAVID SKLOW - FINE NUMISMATIC BOOKS now accepting consignments for our October 4th mail bid auction.  Consignments in hand include
several very rare and unique original manuscripts of James J. Curto on tokens .
 numismaticbooks at aol.com (719) 302-5686, visit our web site www.finenumismaticbooks.com

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS

Subscriber Phil Iverson writes:

As a recent new member to your newsletter I want to say it is great and I
learn so much from it each week even on things I didn't even know existed
in numismatics.  I can see why others are addicted to their subscription -
it's worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

Nancy Green writes:

Congratulations on the Burnett Anderson Award! Even when you like what you are doing (as you obviously do), recognition from your peers is wonderful. They couldn't have found a more deserving recipient.  We all enjoy The E-Sylum every week. It helps to keep everyone connected.

The convention was great, but now that I am at the Message Center, I do miss attending the meetings.

Subscriber Jerry Fochtman writes:

I have to tell you that first thing I do on Mondays is go to the archives on www.coinbooks.org to look for and read the latest newsletter!    For some reason I don't get the e-mails....probably because of changes in our spam filtering, but perhaps this is a good thing because I think your new HTML layout is terrific.   The E-Sylum, Bank Note Reporter and Paper
Money are the publications that when they arrive, everything else waits...

I wondered if you'd ever looked into providing a Google-Search into the archives to help locate topics/etc?

Actually, we do provide a Google search box on our web site.  We're in the throes of a redesign which should make it easier to find and use.  For now, one place you can find it is at the very bottom of each archived E-Sylum issue. For example, go to last week's issue and scroll all the way down to the end:
www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v11n33.html

There you'll find our Google search box. Here's what it looks like, and this should actually work for many people, directly from your E-Sylum email.  Typing "Neiswinter", for example, will locate previous E-Sylum items by or mentioning Jim Neiswinter and his research.  -Editor

NBS (coinbooks.org)

Web

QUERY: METAL DETECTORIST FINDS J.L POLHEMUS COUNTERSTAMP ON FRENCH COIN

Web site visitor and new subscriber Jeff Tolson writes:

I found a silver dollar sized French coin dated 1821 stamped with J.L Polhemus druggist 190 J St. cor. Sacramento Cal today while metal detecting in the hills near Coloma, CA.  Can anyone tell me anything about it?  It's a great addition to my collection.  I read an article by Bob Evans about this counter stamp on some ship wreck coins. (S.S.Central America).

The Polhemus is a nice counterstamp.  I used to own several of these.  They aren’t excessively rare, but are popular with collectors.   They are listed on p249-250 of Gregory G. Brunk’s book, Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins (World Exonumia Press, 2003)

Brunk lists the counterstamp on three different French coins: Fifty Centimes 1850 and  Five Francs 1830, 1845.  Your silver-dollar sized coin sounds like a Five Franc piece.

Below are links to some Polhemus counterstamps from my collection sold in the 2006 ANR Americana sale.  Here's how the cataloguer described Polhemus:

J.L. Polhemus, a colorful character from the early days of the California Gold Rush, was born in New York City in 1825. A prolific producer of counterstamps—it is said a coin never passed through his drug store in Sacramento without being counterstamped—Polhemus arrived in California at the very height of the "Days of '49." By 1850 he had opened his apothecary, living and working in Sacramento until his death in 1866.

American Numismatic Rarities'
The Lake Michigan & Springdale Collections sale

Lot 892: Polhemus Counterstamped 1856-S (?) dime

(http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx?lrid=AN00035898)

Lot 901: Polhemus Counterstamped 1856-S quarter

(http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx?lrid=AN00035897)

Lot 902: Counterstamped 1850 British half pound.

(http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx?lrid=AN00035896)

QUERY: WHAT IS THE MARKET FOR CD-ONLY NUMISMATIC BOOKS?

Last week we had a report on the NBS symposium on self-publishing. I've been wondering lately about the market for CD-only numismatic books.  Several are available in both book and CD forms, but only a few are produced only in CD format.  I'd like to compile a list of them - please let me know of ones, either already "in print" or contemplated.  I can be reached at

whomren at gmail.com
.
Thanks! -Editor

IRA REED 1907 JAMESTOWN EXPOSITION MATERIAL APPEARING ON MARKET