The E-Sylum v12#41, October 11, 2009

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Sun Oct 11 19:46:14 PDT 2009

    The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 41, October 11, 2009
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 11, 2009
<#a01>
**
2010 NBS MEETING TO BE HELD AT MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL SOCIETY
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOKS: KRAUSE PUBLICATIONS' U.S. PAPER MONEY GUIDES
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: 2010 PHILADELPHIA EXPO RED BOOK
<#a04>
**
BOOK REVIEW: OVERSTRUCK GREEK COINS BY DAVID MACDONALD
<#a05>
**
BOOK REVIEW: WHITMAN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF U. S. PAPER MONEY
<#a06>
**
MORE ON THE PROFESSIONAL EDITION RED BOOK
<#a07>
**
AMERICAN NUMISMATIC SOCIETY PUBLICATION HISTORY
<#a08>
**
DICK JOHNSON: LAUNCHING A NEW MEDAL AND A NEW BUSINESS
<#a09>
**
NOVA CONSTELLATIO PATTERN SET SURFACES IN PHILADELPHIA
<#a10>
**
2010 BRITISH-AMERICAN TOKEN CONGRESS
<#a11>
**
COINTELEVISION.COM ANNOUNCES NEW WEBSITE DESIGN
<#a12>
**
NOTES AND COMMENTS ON LAST WEEK'S ISSUE
<#a13>
**
MORE ON NUMISMATICS AND SHERLOCK HOLMES
<#a14>
**
MORE ON ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS TOKENS
<#a15>
**
FORMER ANA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR KEEPS LAW LICENSE
<#a16>
**
CONTRIBUTIONS OF ALCHEMY TO NUMISMATICS
<#a17>
**
CONTEMPORARY THOUGHTS ON THE 1878 GOLOID DOLLAR PROPOSAL
<#a18>
**
COINS FOR HARD TIMES: ARTIST MAKES HIS OWN MONEY
<#a19>
**
SERGEY BRIN DEFENDS GOOGLE BOOKS
<#a20>
**
WASHINGTON POST CLIPPINGS ON VARIOUS TOPICS
<#a21>
**
POLYMER BANKNOTE FIRM CHARGED WITH BRIBING OFFICIALS
<#a22>
**
ARTICLE: COIN HOARDS HOLD CLUES TO ANCIENT ROMAN POPULATION
<#a23>
**
GOLD COIN HOARD PRACTICAL JOKER STRIKES FROM THE GRAVE
<#a24>
**
DOLLAR BILL GRAFFITI
<#a25>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: HISTORY OF HOBO NICKELS
<#a26>

Click here to read this issue on the web

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 11, 2009

Among our recent subscribers is
C. M. Sundar of India. Welcome aboard! We now have 1,267 subscribers.

This week we open with some NBS news followed by announcements of new books on U.S. paper money and a special edition of the 2010 Redbook.  Next up is my review of David MacDonald's Overstruck Greek Coins and John and Nancy Wilson's review of the Whitman Encyclopedia of U. S. Paper Money.

The big news this week (to me, anyway) was the appearance of the Nova Constellatio pattern set at the recent Whitman Philadelphia show - we have an admittedly lengthy piece about the set with contributions from several readers.

In other news, Dick Johnson launches a new medal business, the 2nd Annual British-American Token Congress has been scheduled, and the results of the law license suspension hearing for the former Executive Director of the ANA have been made public.

To learn about the thirty-year practical joke, alchemy and numismatics, and which coin is like "tying a bull pup to a basket of cucumbers", read on.

Wayne Homren
 Numismatic Bibliomania Society

2010 NBS MEETING TO BE HELD AT MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Numismatic Bibliomania Society President Dan Hamelberg reports:

We have secured a room in the Massachusetts Historical Society for our regular NBS meeting at the American Numismatic Association convention next year in Boston.  It should be a great environment for our meeting, and we will have the opportunity to look thru some of their holdings as well.

What a great idea!  Sounds like fun.  Start making plans for Boston, everyone.
-Editor

For more information on the Massachusetts Historical Society, see:

www.masshist.org

NEW BOOKS: KRAUSE PUBLICATIONS' U.S. PAPER MONEY GUIDES

Publisher Scott Tappa forwarded the following press release about two new editions of Krause Publications' U.S. paper money guides.
-Editor

Large or small, Krause Publications has U.S. paper money collecting covered with the recent arrival of two new books.

The new edition of Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money and Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. Paper Money are both available, and bring to the table more pricing, color photographs and listings of notes than ever before. A perfect pair, together these two guides represent the most thorough information about U.S. paper money available today.

This 28th edition of the Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money is written by noted collector and author George S. Cuhaj with market analysis by William Brandimore, contains details about nearly 200 year of U.S. currency, and features notes in full-color photographs. This book is a superior introduction to the world of U.S. paper money, with coverage of everything from large and small-size currency, silver and gold certificates and Pre-Civil War treasury notes, to fractional currency and military payment certificates.

With listings of paper money dating back to 1812 through recent issues and current market value in up to four condition grades, this book's organization, larger-size listings and design make it easy to use and comprehensive in scope.

Also making a spectacular return is Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. Paper Money back, now with full-color photographs as well. The color photos make it easier to identify the differences between similar notes, and even notes of the same series. For example, the difference between a dark forest green, light yellow green and dark blue green United States Treasury Seal is an important detail for properly identifying the note and determining value, and with this book these intricate difference are more easy to see.

In addition, this ninth edition of the Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. Paper Money contains current market values in up to four grades of condition, serial number data for notes from 1928 to 2006, and precise quantities of notes printed or observed.

Click here for more information about the books at

ShopNumisMaster.com

About the Authors

Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money author George S. Cuhaj is an experienced and accomplished collector and researcher. He is the editor of both the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money and Standard Catalog of World Coins series, and has been part of the Krause Publications Numismatic division since 1994. Market analyst William Brandimore has been collecting paper money for more than 15 years. He is the immediate past president of the Central States Numismatic Society, and also serves as the U.S. paper money pricing analyst for Krause Publications.

Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. Paper Money author John Schwartz authored all of the editions of this book, as well as the Standard Handbook of Modern U.S. Paper Money. Author Scott Lindquist is an active dealer with a 28-year career. He's handled and researched many of the greatest paper money collections of the 20th century.

I asked author George Cuhaj for some more background on the Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money. His comments are below.  Thanks!
-Editor

A bit of history: The basis for this book is the Krause-Lemke hard-cover "Green" books which for 24 editions were a staple, and also the basis for US listings within Bank Note Reporter and the special issues of Coins Prices. For more than half that time Bob Wilhite was the behind the scenes editor getting the product out, as Chet was "retired" and Bob Lemke moved into the Sports division of the company. Once Wilhite retired, Joel Edler did the pricing updates and I or Randy Thern did the book production.

As with many of our publications, the book has a head-to-head competitor to another reference used within the field. But our book adds a different twist and is marketed differently, thus remaining a successful venture for the firm.

It was during the lead up to the Y2K computer craze that developed the PM line-editing book production system into field-based relational database. The book data for this book - in addition to the three volumes of the World Paper Money Catalogs were retyped! (and then as the next book production period commenced the text needed to be edited).

In one of our management waves to put color into the b&w products the SCUSPM was targeted for a makeover and it was decided to do it in color. We were able to photograph many of Chet's US type collection (Nationals and US types have recently been auctioned, and at least one of those auction firms did not bother to make mention that the notes were plate notes in this book.) and get some additional photos from others.

The changeover from the Green editions to the color versions came concurrently during the period of Edler's retirement, and the market analyst position has been filled since by off-site consultant William Brandimore, who also uses this book's database to form the monthly BNR price listings. I work with Bill to modify the database text, get new listings entered.

This year, for example, we have added the plate number / district position varieties to the 1914 Federal Reserve Note series, increasing the listings by nearly 120.

This catalog was one of the first in the numismatic area to include the Civil War Era Postage Stamp Envelopes, and again with Chet's collection as a basis, the section has doubled in size and was recently re-numbered.

The final area of the book to become color will be the Military Payment Certificates, and that is this year's project to get ready for the 29th edition.

There are great price reductions available if readers order on-line at shopnumismaster.com

NEW BOOK: 2010 PHILADELPHIA EXPO RED BOOK

John and Nancy Wilson write:

Whitman did an overprinted 2010 Redbook that was given to all the table holders at the recently completed Philadelphia show.  They also made extra copies available for $50 to the badge holders.  This money went to the National Federation of the Blind (they had a table at the show).  We hope the photo reproduces well for you and the readers of The E-Sylum.

We'd like to also mention that literature dealers John Burns and Charles Davis had tables at the show besides Wizard Coin Company which is the new enterprise dealer for the American Numismatic Association.

David Crenshaw, General Manager of the Whitman Coin & Collectibles Expo writes:

Now is your chance to support the National Federation of the Blind and add a rare edition of the Guide Book of United States Coins to your collection, at the same time!

All proceeds from the sale of the 2010 Philadelphia Expo Red Book will go to the National Federation of the Blind, a worthy nonprofit supported by Whitman Coin & Collectibles Expo and Whitman Publishing. This limited edition's exclusive print run will be limited to 2,009 copies.

The price is $50 each while supplies last. Telephone orders only: call 1-800-546-2995 to request your copy today. Ask for the 2010 Philadelphia Expo Red Book, item #0794828191.

Thank you for supporting the National Federation of the Blind!

BOOK REVIEW: OVERSTRUCK GREEK COINS BY DAVID MACDONALD

In recent weeks I've been swamped with reader submissions and haven't had time to write up my own.  Well, Ed Snible shamed me into it this week with his October 4th blog review of David MacDonald's new Whitman book,  Overstruck Greek Coins - Studies in Greek Chronology and Monetary Theory.
First, some excerpts from Ed's review, then some additional thoughts of my own.
-Editor

Ed Snible writes:

Although this book is readable it's not intended for beginners. MacDonald doesn't waste a lot of space defining terms that you already know. It's also not a catalog. In the preface it's made clear that the book isn't even trying to list all commonly encountered overstrikes. It's unlikely but possible that catalogers will start including "MacDonald -" when selling overstrikes.

This isn't a breathtaking coffee table book listing the highlights of Greek coin art. The coins are nicer than average grade, and often uglier than average. As MacDonald points out

    Overstruck coins are usually ugly. They are not popular with most collectors and, consequently, are avoided by many dealers.

What makes this book wonderful is that the overstruck coins are used to jump into open questions on dating of ancient coins. MacDonald describes simply the currently accepted dating and why it might or must be wrong. He gives enough hints that I could follow the arguments without having to go look up stuff in other books. That's the real strength of this book. In a lot of journal-level numismatic writing the authors are writing towards other PhD classics professors which makes them hard to follow. This book is much smoother.

Because only 160 coins are discussed in nearly 300 pages there is enough room to give background on the coins. We get a lot more than who's on the front and a date range like "480-460". Each coin gets a quality discussion which tells us not just the the issue dates, but often tell us which expert proposed the dates and the historical events that begin or close the date range.

Note that the cover picture on this post, from Whitman's web site, isn't the cover of the actual book, although they are similar. The fake cover says 'Edited by' David MacDonald. The real cover shows those five coins and two more.

Ed's eyes are sharp, although the "fake cover" found on the Whitman web site is probably an earlier marketing prototype that someone forgot to update.  Luckily I have a copy of the real book in hand and scanned the true cover image below (shown to the right of the "fake" cover).
-Editor

To read Ed Snible's review, see:

Overstruck Greek Coins

(digitalhn.blogspot.com/2009/10/overstruck-greek-coins.html)

I guess I'm one of those beginners who could have used a little more introductory text, but what is there is quite good.  I enjoyed reading about the history and use of overstriking and countermarking in the ancient world.  My own introduction to the practice came at a talk by Roy Van Ormer at the Western Pennsylvania Numismatic Association many years ago. Roy talked about 19th century counterstamps on U.S. coins, a series I began collecting myself shortly thereafter.

Overstrikes and countermarks in the Greek world were primarily economic in nature, although many also had some aspect of advertising (but of a political rather than commercial nature).

The majority of coins in the book were completely overstruck on an earlier coin, but there are some countermarks, such as the countermark of a Lion's Head shown on page 116 (Lysimachia c227-250 B.C>).

Each coin illustration is accompanied by a line drawing showing where to look for indications of the design of the undertype coin.  I found these very useful and I'm sure they took a great deal of time to produce for the book.  I also greatly appreciated Appendix B, which illustrates all of the coins pictured in the book at actual size.

It was interesting to see a group of square coins (p201-208).  One is pictured on the book's cover.   The rare shape is remarkable as an exception to a steadfast rule - coins are generally round.  Why that is is one of my favorite numismatic questions, and I enjoy discussing it with new collectors: Just why are (nearly) all coins are round?

I noticed one typo in the introduction - the author wrote "close systems" where I think he meant "closed systems" (page xi).  And on page 87 I just didn't get the reference to "an obvious numismatic pun."  As as a neophyte student of ancients I'm in no position to critique the author's research, but his arguments are well presented.  He makes what seem to be good cases for the chronology of events surrounding the making and overstriking of these coins.  I think the book will be a great addition to the library of anyone who collects or deals in these coins.

-Editor

BOOK REVIEW: WHITMAN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF U. S. PAPER MONEY

John and Nancy Wilson, NLG, submitted this review of Q. David Bowers newest book, the Whitman Encyclopedia of U. S. Paper Money.
-Editor

We attended the First Annual Coin and Collectibles Philadelphia Expo held on September 23 – 26, 2009 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center which was sponsored by Whitman Publishing, LLC.   We were there to represent the ANA at a free table that Whitman was gracious to let us have.  Thank you David Crenshaw, your staff along with Whitman Publishing.  We also attended the sale by Stack's of the First Session of Chester L. Krause's Wisconsin Obsolete Note Collection.

What immediately caught our attention at the Stack's auction lot viewing room was this large book sitting on a ledge near the entrance of the room.  This book was the Whitman Encyclopedia of U. S. Paper Money authored by Q. David Bowers with a Foreword by Fred Reed.  We were amazed at the size and scope of this new reference.  It premiered at this First Whitman Convention in Philadelphia.

The book has all the attributes of another, "Touchdown or Grand slam," for prolific author Q. David Bowers.  Coming in at just under six pounds, this hardbound Whitman Encyclopedia of U. S. Paper Money  has 900 pages filled with valuable information on U.S. Paper Money.  It is possibly the finest reference ever written on the subject and may be one of the best books ever by award-winning author Q. David Bowers.  It was very enjoyable for us to read, and once we started to read - we found it hard to put down.

Of great importance, not only to new collectors but also to those who are advanced Chapters 1 to 5 contain invaluable information on:  Introduction and overview, history and overview of Federal Notes, the development and federalization of paper money, grading, and how to be a smart buyer.  The 90 pages within these first five chapters will take the reader on a very interesting and informative ride on anything and everything you wanted to know about U.S. Paper Money.

Chapter 5 would be especially useful to any novice or even advanced collector and deals with how to be a smart buyer.  We learned a lot from the four steps to success in this chapter which are:

1. Grade Assigned.

2.  Eye Appeal at First Glance.

3.  A Closer Look.

4.  Establishing a Fair Market Price.

Reading these four steps would benefit you greatly if you wanted to pursue the collecting of or investing in U. S. Paper Money.

We collect most U. S. Paper Money from Colonial, to modern U. S. Small Size Notes.  We particularly enjoyed going through Chapters 6 to 17, which individually contained information on notes denominated from $1 to $100,000.  As collectors, we rarely collect anything over the $20 denomination, but if we were to pursue higher denominations this reference would certainly help.

The book contains more than 1,600 full-color images, and in most cases more than four grade and price valuations.  The Federal Reserve Note section shows the number of notes printed as well, in most cases, the estimated current population and recent auction results for that note by signature combination or city where applicable.

It next lists Postage and Fractional Currency 1862- 1876 with all of the varieties and five conditions with estimated market values.  This is an area of the hobby that is overlooked by most dealers and collectors.  If people knew the actual rarity of these "small change notes" everyone would collect them.  A short section on paper-money errors covers only the basic errors giving no values.  The book also covers star notes and mules.

Continental Currency, 1775-1779 with pictures of representative notes are shown.  Prices are shown by date on the note with quantity issued.  Prices are given in summary form in seven conditions.

Early 19th Century Treasury Notes from 1812 to 1860 are also shown with some pricing.  The last area covered is U. S. Encased Postage Stamps.  A representative obverse and reverse is shown for each issuer and prices on all varieties.  Prices from recent auctions are shown for the rare pieces.

The book ends with a list of the signatures on U.S. Currency from 1861 to date, and the terms of service of Treasury Officials, 1913 to date.

In many cases, we find the Bibliography in Q. David Bower's references very useful.  In this reference we found some new books that will be useful in stories we plan do, along with exhibits we are building.  This reference also contains the Friedberg and Whitman Numbering Systems.  We can now go over our collection and utilize these numbering systems, which are the standard in the collecting of U. S. Paper Money.

In summary, we feel the book is a must have for all collectors and dealers of U. S. Paper Money.  We also recommend it to anyone with an interest in the monetary system of our country.  Buy the book, if for nothing else, quoting the recent Whitman Press release (on this reference), it will help you to "Make wise purchases in today's market."  It is another "can't miss" reference authored by one of the greatest numismatic authors of all time.  The book is 8 ½ x 11 inches and retails for $69.95 and can be purchased from your local coin dealer or from Whitman Publishing, LLC, Main Office, 3103 Clairmont Road, Suite B, Atlanta, GA 30329 or call (800) 546-2995 or at the Whitman web page,

www.whitmanbooks.com
.

MORE ON THE PROFESSIONAL EDITION RED BOOK

Dennis Tucker of Whitman publishing submitted this detailed description of the new Professional Edition of A Guide Book of United States Coins, a.k.a. the Redbook.
-Editor

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to answer E-Sylum readers' questions about the new Professional Edition of the Red Book. At the Philadelphia Expo, Ken Bressett, Dave Bowers, Jeff Garrett, and I did a presentation on the book. Collector interest was piqued, and we fielded quite a few questions similar to the ones asked here by Alan Luedeking, Gary Dunaier, and Joe Boling.

(Before I continue, I'd like to extend an offer to E-Sylum readers. At the Philly Expo we distributed an 11 x 17 double-sided broadsheet to the show's dealers. With text and photos it describes the content and layout of the Professional Edition, and answers many of the questions their customers will have about the book. I have a few extra prints of this broadsheet, and if any E-Sylumites would like a copy they can send me their mailing address at dennis.tucker at whitmanbooks.com, and I'll drop one in the mail.)

To sum it up, the Professional Edition of the Red Book is an enlargement and expansion of the regular edition's coverage of federal coin issues, with several additional sections, intended to serve the intermediate to advanced collector, the variety specialist, the professional coin dealer, the auctioneer, the investor, and the numismatic researcher.

In order to keep the Professional Edition to a manageable page count, we did not include the regular edition's introductory overview of the history of U.S. coinage, or its stories about coins from treasures and hoards. We also didn't include colonial and early American coins and tokens; silver, gold, and platinum bullion coins; private and territorial gold; Hard Times tokens; Civil War tokens; Confederate coins; Hawaiian, Puerto Rican, and Philippine coins; Alaskan tokens; misstrikes and errors; numismatic books; and other "front-of-the-book" and "back-of-the-book" topics covered in the regular edition.

Those areas will continue to be covered in the annual regular edition of the Red Book. Even though the pages of the Professional Edition are 45% larger than those of the regular edition, expanding on all of those topics would have resulted in an 800- to 900-page book! By focusing on federal coinage---half cents though double eagles---plus early Proof and Mint sets, and classic commemoratives, and including a few new sections, we were able to create a large-sized 384-page book with a reasonable retail ($29.95).

Okay, so what do I mean by "expanded" coverage?

1.  The Professional Edition includes introductions (typically one to three pages) on each denomination---an overview of its history, major design types, and general collectability by type; plus a more in-depth analysis of specializing in that denomination. These sections encapsulate decades of numismatic research and market observation, and they should be read in conjunction with the charts, photographs, and other information that follow.

2.  Each denomination is then broken out into detailed type-by-type studies. These include charts similar to those found in the regular edition (e.g., with detailed mintage date), but also including

 -  certified population data: For each circulation-strike coin, a summary is provided of a) the number of coins certified, b) the average grade, and c) the percentage of coins certified in Mint State. For early (generally pre-1916) Proof coins, certified populations are summarized as a) the number of coins certified, and b) the level of the finest Proof known. For later Proofs, the data includes a) the number of coins certified, and b) the average Proof level. These summaries provide the collector and investor with working data useful in comparing coins offered for sale or bid.

 -  valuations: Values in the Professional Edition reflect retail and auction prices for professionally certified coins seen in today's market. These start at the high end of the grades covered in the regular edition, and focus upward into high-circulated and Mint State grades. Expanded coverage here includes higher MS levels, as well as detailed analysis of Red-Brown and Red copper coins, Full Bell Lines, Full Head, Full Steps, Split Bands, Cameo, Deep Cameo, and similar designations.

 -  auction records. An auction record (highest price paid) is provided for every coin that has sold for $1,000 or more (and some lower), generally within the past eight to ten years. Each record includes a) the price paid for the coin, b) the grade, c) the auction firm, and d) the date of the auction. This is similar to the coverage included in the regular edition for exceptional coins, but is included for each date.

In addition to these expanded records and valuations for each coin, the Professional Edition includes summary information on each type's history; aspects of its strike, sharpness, and related characteristics; and its market availability. Detailed grading guidelines are included for the grades covered in the charts.

(I'm trying to be as detailed as possible in my explanations here; collectors who perused the advance galley at the Philadelphia Expo saw what I'm describing, and the broadsheet I mentioned shows example pages.)

The Professional Edition includes many more VAMs, doubled dies, repunched mintmarks, and other popular and valuable varieties than the regular-edition Red Book. Every year at Whitman Publishing we get phone calls, letters, and emails requesting coverage of additional varieties in the regular edition, but space---and the "general overview" nature of the regular edition---don't allow for such extended coverage. With the Professional Edition, we have the page space to go into much more detail, not just in valuations but also in enlarged close-ups, explanatory chart notes, captions, etc.

The Professional Edition includes advanced study of early Proof coins—mintages, numbers known, certified population data, valuations, auction records, varieties, and photographs of early 1800s to early 1900s Proof coins in copper, silver, and gold. Because these coins are outside the field of the typical beginning to intermediate collector, the regular-edition Red Book gives them only brief mention.

The Professional Edition also includes expanded coverage of classic (pre-1982) commemoratives, and Proof and Mint sets to 1964, plus the Special Mint Sets of the 1960s.

The Professional Edition has a detailed appendix on modern counterfeit coins, including a classification system developed by Dr. Gregory DuBay, photographs of counterfeit coins and dies, the full text of the Hobby Protection Act, advice on identifying counterfeits (including illustrated examples from Bill Fivaz), and more.

A gallery in the back includes enlarged photographs of early copper, silver, and Proof coins, by type.

The regular edition of the Red Book remains a valuable resource for information on lower-grade circulated coins (typically AG through AU, as well as lower Mint States). There is some overlap in the grades covered by the regular and Professional editions, but for the most part the Professional Edition covers higher grades. Also, as mentioned, the Professional Edition doesn't include colonials, territorial gold, and other non-federal coinage, tokens, and medals covered in the regular edition.

To summarize: everything that readers are used to finding in the regular edition of the Red Book will continue to be published there, in annual volumes. The Professional Edition will also be published annually. Undoubtedly, each will continue to feature special sections each year (like the regular edition's recent section on American Arts gold medals [2009 edition] and its expanded coverage of rare error coins [2010 edition]).

The Professional Edition debuts this week (October 13). It will be available online, from hobby dealers, and in bookstores nationwide. Again, I'd be happy to send a free copy of the Philadelphia Expo broadsheet to interested E-Sylum readers while the supply holds out---or, once the book becomes available, readers can see for themselves what the new Professional Edition is all about. In the meantime, I hope this description answers general curiosity. My email is dennis.tucker at whitmanbooks.com if anyone has further questions.

AMERICAN NUMISMATIC SOCIETY PUBLICATION HISTORY

American Numismatic Society archivist Joe Ciccone submitted the following note about a new section of the ANS web site on the society's publications.
-Editor

I recently finished a website on the history of the Society's publications program:

www.numismatics.org/Archives/PublicationHistory

The site (hopefully!) now lists every publication the ANS has issued since 1858. For monograph series there are brief descriptions of why each was created and what was necessary for a work to qualify for publication in that particular series. For periodicals, there are brief descriptions of each series, along with date ranges for when each was published.

The site's been in development for a few years now, but I only recently finished adding the last of the monographs. I may be biased but I think it provides a great resource for anyone who either collects ANS publications or is simply interested in the history of the Society's publications program. Admittedly, I did not include a few things like reprints.
Otherwise, I think I've captured everything. I'd be curious to learn if your readership knows of any additional publications which should be included.

I also wanted to let you know that I'm leaving the ANS next week, in part because I will be working as the corporate librarian for Standard & Poors and managing what looks to be a fairly substantial library. Before I left, however, I did want to thank you and your readership for all their support during my tenure at the ANS. The feedback I received, either on or offline was very helpful.

I should note that I will still be continuing my consulting business (www.cicconearchives.com in case anyone's interested!)

Thanks again for all your help!

We're sorry to hear that Joe will no longer be working for the ANS, and wish him the best in his new endeavors.
-Editor

DICK JOHNSON: LAUNCHING A NEW MEDAL AND A NEW BUSINESS

Dick Johnson's up to something - a new business.  Here's the scoop.
-Editor

I added a new line to my résumé recently: medal publisher. This was added to writer, editor, cataloger (and formerly medal manufacturer and dealer). With a very talented and savvy partner, we have just published a medal -- actually a plaquette -- honoring Abraham Lincoln and Victor David Brenner. After all, the year 2009 is the bicentennial of the birth of Lincoln and the centennial of Brenner's Lincoln Cent.

It started March 2008 when I received a phone call from Mark Schlepphorst, a medal collector from Groton, Massachusetts. Mark was enamored with Brenner's Lincoln and wanted to learn more about Brenner's medallic work and everything I knew about the 1907 plaque of Lincoln which Brenner had created.  This plaque -- the one mounted on the green marble -- was the impetus for his inquiries and the subject of our many conversations.

It lead Mark to become quite knowledgeable about all Brenner's Lincoln medals and acquiring every size and variety in existence. That includes the super Brenner Lincoln rarity, the Lincoln Medal Desk Plaque (King 303 obverse and reverse shown side-by-side separated by eagle overhead). We speculated about what would be issued medalically for the Lincoln birth bicentennial as we reflected on the enormous outpouring of Lincoln centennial medals for 1909.

I don't recall who had the idea first -- why don't we issue a Lincoln Bicentennial Medal? I did mention to Mark I knew Medallic Art Company acquired a number of Lincoln items on two separate occasions from Sam Brenner, Victor's younger brother, once in 1929 that included the original mold for that 1907 Lincoln Plaque and a second time, in 1931, when the firm acquired four dozen or more galvanos and medallic patterns.

Mark was ecstatic. Could that original 1907 mold still be in existence? Could it be used for a 2009 medal? "It was in Medallic Company's die vault when I left the firm in 1977," I stated. The firm had moved several times since then. From its original location on East 45th Street in midtown Manhattan, to Danbury Connecticut in 1972, acquired by Bob Hoff in 1989 and moved to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and finally relocated to Dayton, Nevada in 1997.

Mark flew to Nevada to meet with Bob Hoff, owner of the firm. The original mold was indeed still in custody of the company! Mark contracted for a 2-year exclusive use for that mold. Now, when he returned, he approached me. Let's set up a new firm to issue a Lincoln Bicentennial Medal. "How best can we do this?" he challenged me.

The original was a foundry cast, I replied. It was acquired in 1929 and issued by Medallic Art in the 1930s as an electrolytic cast, a galvano. "We must do something entirely different" I stated. I insisted it be a struck piece. A die could be cut from the original image. And make it as large as could be struck on an existing medal press.

How large? We tossed that question back to Bob Hoff at Medallic Art. He speculated it could be exactly half the size of that original to be struck rather than cast. The original cast plaque is over ten inches tall. That would make the half size plaque more that 5 inches tall. Could a press strike that? And what could be the design for the reverse?

For answers to those questions check out next week's issue of E-Sylum. I'll finish the saga -- the accomplishments and delays, the peaks and valleys, the elations and frustrations -- of bringing such a unusual and distinctive piece to market, for collectors to own and enjoy.

NOVA CONSTELLATIO PATTERN SET SURFACES IN PHILADELPHIA

Readers may recall that when the Stack's sales of the John J. Ford collection ended, I said "What the heck?  Where's the Nova Constellatio Pattern Set ???"     This set is (in my opinion) THE most important set of American coins ever made - far more so than even the famous King of Siam set.

These coins were the original prototypes for the national coinage of the United States.  Ford considered them a highlight of his collection, and re-assembling them after 200 years was a considerable numismatic feat.  So where was it?  As a subscriber to the hardbound Ford sale catalogs, I felt cheated - without the Nova Constellatio set, there was a huge hole in the record of Ford's collection.

I'd heard some rumors of what happened to the set, most of which turned out to be incorrect.  But Stack's was mum and I had no official word to publish.  Well, I wish I'd been able to make the recent Whitman Philadelphia Expo, because the set was there, on display for all to see.
-Editor

An E-Sylum reader writes:

I recently attended the Philadelphia convention, and I saw something there that stunned me.

What first caught my eye was a Plexiglas housing containing some very valuable paper money rarities, including the famous 'Grand Watermelon' $1,000 Treasury note.  After looking at that display, I noticed some coins in a neighboring display case.  Unless I'm mistaken (and I easily could be), the coins in this Plexiglas housing were the Nova Constellatio patterns that John Ford bought at one of the Garrett sales.

After viewing what I thought to be the Garrett/Ford patterns, I asked a security guard who was minding the exhibit who owned them.  He said a Southern collector who wished to remain anonymous owned them.  He then volunteered that the coins were owned by the same person who owned the paper money rarities in the adjacent display.

Not being an expert in coins, and particularly unknowledgeable in colonial era numismatics, I thought I would lay back and wait for someone else to contribute this story to The E-Sylum.  But The E-Sylum Philadelphia show coverage had nothing about the display of the patterns.

Since I no longer subscribe to Coin World, I have no idea if the mainstream numismatic media picked up on this.

P.S.:  I'm enclosing an article from the web about these coins written by some hack in 1994.

The latest issue of Coin World has a very brief mention of the Nova Constellatio pattern display in an article about the Whitman show.

The "hack" our writer jokingly refers to was Yours Truly, writing on July 21, 1994, over three years before The E-Sylum came to be.  Here's what I wrote.  Forgive the repetition, but these comments were made over a span of 15 years, so at least I'm consistent...

This week's Numismatic News announced that John Ford's unique 1783 Nova Constellatio pattern set will be on display at Stack's table at the ANA Convention next week. Wow! To me, this set is the ultimate U.S. numismatic treasure, far more important historically than the King of Siam set (of 1804 Dollar fame).

The coins were struck in April 1783 for Robert Morris, and were the first attempt to create a national coinage for the new government. The denominations were based on a unit equal to 1/440th of a Spanish Milled Dollar. The silver "mark" was 100 units, the "quint" 500, the "bit" 100. The smallest was a copper "5".

The following is the story of Ford's acquisition of the set, as near as I can remember it. I have a tape recording of a talk he gave one time, and spoke to him in person about it once. He had a lot of explaining to do to his wife when he needed to liquidate other assets to come up with some cash after the Garrett sale.

Ford bought the copper "five" in 1977. It was found in a Paris collection and was sold to a U.S coin dealer who thought it was a pattern for the later Nova Constellatio copper coinage--he didn't realize it was the missing link in the Morris set (the other three silver pieces resided in the Garrett collection at Johns Hopkins University). The dealer offered it to a wealthy collector who in turn asked John Ford for his advice. The collector met Ford in midtown Manhattan while on the way to a fishing trip. As the two shared a cab, the collector pulled the piece from his shirt pocket and showed it to Ford.

"How much should I pay for it" he asked. "Just buy it," Ford said, recognizing the significance of the piece. "But how much is it worth?" "Just buy it--whatever it takes--buy it!" The collector put the piece back in the pocket of his fishing shirt, and left for the woods. When he later contacted the dealer, the asking price was $20,000, and the collector balked. He sent the coin back to the dealer.

Before long John Ford got a call himself from the dealer, and later bought the piece for his own collection. Two years later, Ford bought the remaining three pieces at the Garrett sale for $425,000. The set of four coins that passed through the hands of Morris and Thomas Jefferson was united again after nearly 200 years.

After holding the set for 15 years, Ford is apparently putting it up for sale. "The price is available on request." Those of us who'd have to ask, can't afford it. But this collector will make sure he takes the opportunity to see the coins before they disappear for another 15 years or more.

To read the complete article, see:

The 1783 Nova Constellatio Set

(www.limunltd.com/numismatica/stories/nova-constellatio-set.html)