The E-Sylum v14#36 August 28, 2011

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Sun Aug 28 20:08:45 PDT 2011

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 36, August 28, 2011
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM AUGUST 28, 2011
<#a01>
**
NUMISMATIC LITERATURE EXHIBITS AT THE 2011 CHICAGO ANA
<#a02>
**
MORE ON THE WHITMAN BLACK BOOK SERIES
<#a03>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 28, 2011
<#a04>
**
QUERY:  HOW WAS GOLD ALASKA PURCHASE CENTENNIAL TRADE DOLLAR STRUCK?
<#a05>
**
MORE ON THE ALASKA STATEHOOD MEDAL
<#a06>
**
NUMISMATIC PERSONALITIES ON "WHAT'S MY LINE"
<#a07>
**
MORE ON THE TYPE II QUINT
<#a08>
**
MORE ON COL. WALTER CUTTING OF PITTSFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS
<#a09>
**
THE NUMISMATIC AND ANTIQUARIAN SERVICE CORPORATION OF AMERICA
<#a10>
**
GENUINE ELECTROTYPE: PCGS CERTIFIES UNIQUE COPY OF A UNIQUE 1804 DOLLAR
<#a11>
**
BUSINESSWEEK ARTICLE ON THE 1933 DOUBLE EAGLE
<#a12>
**
DICK JOHNSON: ALUMINIZED-STEEL NOT A VIABLE CENT ALLOY
<#a13>
**
WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: AUGUST 28, 2011
<#a14>
**
THE ORDER OF THE STRIPED TIGER
<#a15>
**
THE PRIEST AND THE UNLOVED COINS
<#a16>
**
ARTICLE HIGHLIGHTS SAN FRANCISCO HOTEL'S MONEY LAUNDERER
<#a17>
**
THE ORIGIN OF THE TREVI FOUNTAIN COIN TRADITION
<#a18>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: EARLY QUARTER DOLLARS OF THE UNITED STATES 1796-1838
<#a19>

Click here to read this issue on the web

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM AUGUST 28, 2011

Among our new subscribers this week are
Christopher Buck and
Craig Eberhart.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,452 email subscribers, plus 157 followers on Facebook, including
Mile Kocev.

This week we open with the exhibit winners in the Numismatic Literature class at last week's ANA convention, and more on the Whitman "black book" series.
Other topics include numismatic personalities on "What's My Line?", the Type II Quint, NASCA, and a slabbed 1804 dollar electrotype.

To learn more about an awesome book dude, a rare coin with talismanic powers, the D.C. earthquake devastation, coin laundering and the Trevi Fountain coin toss tradition, read on.
Have a great week, everyone!

NUMISMATIC LITERATURE EXHIBITS AT THE 2011 CHICAGO ANA

There were two exhibits in the  Numismatic Literature class at last week's American Numismatic Association convention in Chicago.  The winners were announced as follows:
-Editor

Class 17: Numismatic Literature – Aaron Feldman Memorial.

First Place: George Kolbe, "Numismatic Bibliography 1579-1912: The Literature of Numismatic Literature"

Second Place: Lawrence Sekulich, "Paul Manship's Book for the Circle of Friends of the Medallion."

George Kolbe adds:

I greatly enjoyed putting together my exhibit and would encourage other numismatic bibliophiles and researchers to do so in the future. The exhibit personnel, particularly Paul Hybert, were capable, cooperative, friendly, and quite encouraging to a first time exhibitor, as were the exhibit judges and a number of other exhibitors.

I have long opined that the joy of numismatic collecting is most clearly expressed at ANA summer seminars; now I would add the annual exhibit program as a close second.

To read a list of past winners, see the NBS web site:

Numismatic Literature Exhibits

(coinbooks.org/about/exhibit_winners.html)

MORE ON THE WHITMAN BLACK BOOK SERIES

Ken Bressett writes:

Regarding the Whitman Black Books. I edited and published them all. The list that you have is complete. They sold for about $1 each at the time, with press runs of 10,000 for most of them.

Neil Shafer writes:

On the question of the Whitman dollar series of little black books, the number of basic titles is indeed 13, but there are still some additions to include if you want to be technically complete.

For Slabaugh's Confederate States Paper Money, there were three distinctly separate books.  The first was published in 1958. There was a Second Edition with publication date of 1959.  The Third and last edition had a different cover design with same basic title but with a Stars-and-Bars design underneath and words "Centennial Edition", published in 1961.

The Hawaiian Coins, Tokens and Paper Money book of Gould (without Bressett) was published in 1960.  The dual authorship version came out in 1961 as a Second Revised Edition.
A small correction in a title: there is no "The" in "Foreign Coins Struck At United States Mints."

John Mutch writes:

On the Whitman Black Books, in addition to the Hawaiian Coins, Tokens and Paper Money by Maurice M. Gould and Kenneth Bressett listed, which in my copy is shown as "Second Revised Edition" dated 1961, I have a (water damaged) Hawaiian Coins, Tokens and Paper Money By Maurice M. Gould, dated 1960.  This original one has 45 numbered pages whereas the 1961 version has 48.

Fred Lake reserves a special section in his numismatic literature sale catalogs for the Whitman black books.  He kindly provided the following complete list, including editions.  Thanks, everyone!
-Editor

Fred Lake writes:

I have the attached file from one of our sales (Feb, 1999, I think) that lists a complete set. You will see that there are thirteen titles in eighteen editions. I believe the lot sold for $150.00 back then.

WHITMAN PUBLISHING-1958 to 1965-this lot contains all 18 of the so-called "Whitman
Black Books". Each subject, author and edition is included. Some of the editions are rather scarce
and the storehouse of knowledge contained in these pages is remarkable. Here is an opportunity
to acquire a complete set of these marvelous little books. Thus you will be acquiring thirteen
titles in eighteen editions.

ALTZ, C.and BARTON, E.-1965-"Foreign Coins Struck at United States Mints"-63pp,ills,black
flex-card covers,gilt,12mo.

DAVENPORT, John S.-1959-"The Silver Dollars of Africa"-42 pages,
illustrations, valuations,black flex-card covers,gilt,12mo.

DODSON, O.H.-1962-"Money Tells the Story"-64pp,ills,black flexcard
covers,12mo.

FULD, George & Melvin-
1960-First Edition-"Patriotic Civil War
Tokens"-77pp,22pls,black flex-card covers,12mo.

1960-Second Revised Edition-"Patriotic Civil War Tokens"-
77pp,22pls,ills,rarity scale, black flex-card covers,12mo.

1965-Whitman-Third Rev. Edit.-"Patriotic Civil War Tokens"-
77pp,22 pls,black flex-card covers,12mo.

1962-"A Guide to Civil War Store Card
Tokens"-96pp,ills,rarity scales, black flex-card covers,12mo.

GOULD, Maurice M.-1960-"Hawaiian Coins, Tokens and Paper Money"-
45pp,pls,ills,black flex-card covers,gilt,12mo.

GOULD, Maurice and BRESSETT,Ken-1960-"Alaska's Coinage Through the Years"-46pp,
ills,black flex-card covers,12mo.

GOULD, Maurice & BRESSETT,Ken-1961-Second Edition-"Hawaiian Coins,
Tokens and Paper Money"-48pp,ills,flex-card covers,gilt,12mo.

GOULD, Maurice and HIGGIE, Lincoln W.-1962-"The Money of
Puerto Rico"-83pp,ills,vals,black flex-card covers,12mo.

HIGGIE, Lincoln W.-1962-"The Colonial Coinage of the U.S. Virgin Islands"-61pp,ills,black
flex-card covers,12mo.

ROTHERT, Matt-1963-"A Guide Book of United States Fractional Currency"-81pp,ills,black
flex-card covers,gilt,12mo.

SHAFER, Neil-1961-"United States Territorial Coinage for the Philippine Islands"-63pp,ills,
black flex-card covers,12mo.

SLABAUGH, Arlie-1958-"Confederate States Paper Money",48pp,
ills,valuations,black flex-card covers,12mo.

SLABAUGH, Arlie-1959-2nd Edition-"Confederate States Paper
Money"-48pp,ills,valuations,black flex-card covers,12mo.

SLABAUGH, Arlie-1961(Centennial Edition)-"Confederate States
Paper Money"-48pp,ills,valuations,black flex-card covers,12mo.

YEOMAN,R.S.-1961-"Moneys of the Bible"-61pp,ills,black flex-card covers,12mo

The Rothert Fractional Currency book and the Fuld Civil War Token books were my collecting bibles for years.  I learned a great deal about Civil War numismatics just from reading their short introductions.
These little volumes helped set me on my collecting path for a lifetime.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

QUERY: THE WHITMAN BLACK BOOK SERIES

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n35a04.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE
DAVID SKLOW - FINE NUMISMATIC BOOKS offers Mail Bid Sale No. 14 on
October 15, 2011, including:

Early Convention Programs of the American Numismatic Association
.
www.finenumismaticbooks.com.
PH: (719) 302-5686, FAX: (719) 302-4933.  EMAIL: numismaticbooks at aol.com. USPS: Box 6321, Colorado Springs, CO. 80934. Contact me for your numismatic literature needs!

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 28, 2011

  On Striking Coins Outside the U.S. Mints
Dick Hanscom writes:

On U.S. minting facilities:  When the U.S. Mint sent a representative to Anchorage to meet with commission that helped design the Alaska quarter, I suggested that they strike some at the Alaska Mint ( a private mint with which I have no legal connection – we do buy their product).  The lady was not amused, and did not take my suggestion seriously.  She had no idea how serious I was!

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

E-SYLUM'S BEST: HOW MANY DIFFERENT MINT BUILDINGS?”

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n32a05.html)

 Pete Smith's Chicago ANA Convention Notes
Pete Smith writes:

Before leaving for the ANA convention, my boss lamented that he really did not want to go. With the current level of business in his shop, he could make more money staying at home. We left one of our staff back in the office and he called us to say business was like it was back in 1980.

I will comment of Alan Weinberg's statement that no one was buying bullion gold or silver. During the show we got an order from a client and picked up a thousand ounces of silver from SilverTowne. That was not really an ANA transaction. If we had been at home, the same deal could have been arranged through the mail.

On several occasions, I saw characters from Star Wars wandering the floor of the convention center.  I suspect they came in for the earlier Comicon convention and lost their transporter rides home. I could see no connection between them and numismatics.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: AUGUST 21, 2011

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n35a13.html)

 Alan Weinberg's Chicago ANA Convention Notes
Alan V. Weinberg writes:

Here are a few more observations I made at the Chicago ANA:

While a relatively minor negative about the show, this was a particular irritant thruout the show: the extremely loud and all-too-frequent public address system which interrupted any form of business transaction or conversation while it blasted. In many  decades of ANA attendance, I do not recall the PA system being quite so loud or  so obtrusive. I did notice that almost everyone around me,  while the PA system blasted, was similarly irritated and had to stop what they were saying or doing.

Heritage proudly  exhibited some just- arrived notable auction consignments, some of which literally knocked me for a loop. John Adams - formerly a diehard consignor to Stack's and Bowers & Merena/ANR  with his 1794 coppers and his Indian Peace medals, etc - has consigned to Heritage the first segment of his remarkable Betts Early American history medal collection for the January NYC International show- to be catalogued I understand by John Kraljevich according to Heritage's Mark Borckardt, who wisely knows his limitations as this is a very difficult series to catalogue . Certainly an esoteric group of medals but with many great rarities and the forerunner of the rest of Adams'  Betts medal collection including his remarkable Comitia Americana medals.

And Denis Loring has consigned most of his 1793 Chain and Wreath cents, a remarkably choice  EF and AU grouping (just the way most of us like 'em- lightly circulated but still relatively "affordable"), for Heritage's Jan FUN Orlando auction. Denis is keeping a type set of 1793's but the rest of the coins have been off the market for well over a decade. I've seen them raw "in hand" at an early EAC in Ky - they're now necessarily  slabbed (sob!) - and they are notable for their immaculate surfaces and rims.

 New York Coin dealer Killed
Ursula Kampmann and Alan Weinberg forwarded article about the killing of a New York coin dealer.  Here's an update on the story from New York Post:

A man was arrested on Staten Island yesterday for the murder of a coin dealer in Brooklyn, cops said.
Cops caught Andrew Jackson, 26, by using fingerprints he left on the car where his victim was beaten to death, said a law enforcement source.

Jackson and two other violent crooks allegedly dragged numismatist Steve Halfon, 61, out of his car near his coin shop on Kings Highway in Gravesend at 5:10 p.m. Tuesday.

They threw Halfon into another vehicle, where they beat him savagely. The vicious gang later dumped an unconscious Halfon about a mile away on East 7th Street near Avenue N in Midwood, less than two blocks from Halfon’s home.

To read the complete article, see:

Coin killer nabbed: cops

(www.nypost.com/p/news/local/staten_island/coin_killer_nabbed_cops_Yem0GaVYbaPzgDT4WbCr1H)

 Generating Coin Hobby Publicity
Dick Johnson writes:

Coin  dealers are notorious poor promoters. If you own a coin shop drop an email to the city editor of your local newspaper. Mention something newsworthy like you are getting an increasing number of first time coin buyers -- of investment coins, bullion coins of gold and silver.

See how fast the city editor will send a reporter! That's news in this economy.

Here's an exceptionally fine article from Chico Nevada of local coin dealer John Kranz, just published this week. Short  article, nice photo, highly readable throughout. Excellent example.

To read the complete article, see:

A penny for his thoughts

(www.newsreview.com/chico/penny-for-his-thoughts/content?oid=3361928)

QUERY:  HOW WAS GOLD ALASKA PURCHASE CENTENNIAL TRADE DOLLAR STRUCK?

Dick Hanscom of Alaska Rare Coins poses a question for our readers.
-Editor

Here is a puzzler for The E-Sylum.  Scans are attached.
Background – two different sets of three different colored plastic “trade dollars” were issued for the Alaska Purchase Centennial in 1967. One set for Juneau (yellow, green and dark blue), one for Anchorage (red, white and light blue).

Consigned to our Sept. 24 auction are two pieces from the Juneau issue, one in lead and one in what appears to be 18kt gold (specific gravity is 15.22).  The lead is well cast/struck and appears to be two halves (quite thick) put together. The detail is as good as on the plastic.

The gold is very weak.  It appears to have been turned down (by the marks on the edge) from a larger piece of gold.  It is not two pieces put together as it rings as a solid piece. It may not be unique, but is definitely the last as the die/mold is collapsing.  There is a die break all around the central ring, and the central portion is raised rather than dished as on the lead and plastic.  There are also multiple other die breaks.

So I guess my question is this:  How does one use molds (dies?) used for casting plastic to “strike” gold?

MORE ON THE ALASKA STATEHOOD MEDAL

Tom Dalrymple submitted these thoughts inspired by an earlier E-Sylum item.  Thanks!
-Editor

First off, thank you for your many contributions to a thoroughly fascinating on-line publication.  Whenever I wish to avoid actually doing my day job I can always count on The E-Sylum to provide an interesting if not outright enjoyable way to procrastinate.

As avid collectors of all things round and metal and Alaskan and dated between our Statehood in  ’59 and our Centennial in ’67 (wheh!) my wife and I were very interested by the reply to our friend and fellow collector’s inquiry regarding one of our more mysterious commemoratives, that being President Adam’s portrait on a medal bearing our state’s seal:

The answer, learned as it is, still left some doubt in our minds.  As for it possibly being a “mule” however, my wife’s find of a silver edge-numbered specimen in the 800’s took much from the credibility of that being a possibility, as did the subsequent discovery of bronze versions.

For the record, the producer was Metal Arts Company (and not MACO, as is most often reported) who’s president, John L Jack, died this past January 5th.  His obituary noted his time spent in the Navy and, perhaps far more importantly here, was quite careful to point out he had “served in Alaska”.

While we do not know if he was yet president of Metal Arts at the time the Adams/Alaska was minted, if so his desire to honor the state he called home is certainly likely.  Further, as he undoubtedly travelled the Pacific it is also likely he would have stopped off in Hawaii as well, thus possibly also providing some inclination to honor our 50th state as well.

All of which brings us to the recent find (on eBay, where else?) of the pair of medals in the attached photos.  These photos lead us to believe the Adams/Alaska coin was minted as part of a two-coin Hawaii/Alaska set.  This combination was exceedingly common.  For example, there is the SOM Alaska/Hawaii Medallion, the MACO “Official” Alaska and Hawaii companion medallions, Mishler’s Alaska/Hawaii set, G&G Distributors “Flag Day” Dollars and Heraldic Arts Alaska and Hawaii “Halves”, not to mention the Franklin Mint’s many subsequent and shameless attempts.

All that said, while we are very proud and pleased that documented historical connections do exist between John Adams and the State of Alaska we would have to say the existence of a Washington/Hawaii set pretty much changes the debate as to why an Alaska/Adams was actually produced.  Our guess would be that Metal Arts simply wished to cash in on the Alaska/Hawaii medal frenzy, especially if they happened to already have at least the start of a Presidential Series on hand to work with.

Obviously, it would not be possible to match up the then (and now, Mr. President!) 50 states with the then 34 presidents (no, not even in reverse order…) so further installments could not have been contemplated.  Additionally, I have never seen any other president’s portrait on any medal of this size issued by Metal Arts.

I’m not sure if the Adams/Alaska medal nor its history is of any interest to collectors outside of Alaska, but at the very least we believe this discovery serves as yet another example of how a perfectly good theory can be brought into question by a single dose of reality.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

WHY PRESIDENT JOHN ADAMS IS DEPICTED ON AN ALASKA STATEHOOD MEDAL

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v12n16a18.html)

NUMISMATIC PERSONALITIES ON "WHAT'S MY LINE"

Eric Schena submitted the following fun links to old What's My Line episodes featuring personalities with a numismatic connection.   We've linked to some of these before, but I think this is the first time we've had a list of them.  Be sure to watch - these are fun.
-Editor

Here's something that might be a fun diversion for The E-Sylum.  My fiancée and I enjoy old game shows, in particular "What's My Line" with John Daly.  The show has had folks from all walks of life and all sorts of unusual occupations all the way up to luminaries such as Eleanor Roosevelt, Salvadore Dali and Frank Lloyd Wright.  I was pleased to learn that four folks with rather prominent numismatic connections appeared on the show as contestants for the panel to guess their line of work.  Below are links to four clips on YouTube that folks may enjoy watching:

Ivy Baker Priest (Treasurer of the United States) - originally aired on 29 August 1954.  I like the fact that they had to blindfold the panel because they would no doubt recognize her signature:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3NmcP8tpXU

William H. Brett (Director of the United States Mint) - originally aired on 25 November 1956:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRa4jRvweog

J. A. Conlon (head of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing) - originally aired on 23 August 1959. He even brought samples:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWN2V84D_Hg

Finally, Col. Grover Criswell - originally aired 21 June 1959.  He, too, brought samples, plus he brought a $1000 Montgomery note:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU6CJ2jKNEE

 KOLBE & FANNING SEPTEMBER 15, 2011 SALE HIGHLIGHTS

 Rare and Unusual Publications on American Numismatics Including
 The 1909 Consul Weber Roman Sale and the Famous 1896 Montagu sale of Roman Gold
George C. Perkins’s Original Plated 1907 Stickney and 1912 Earle Chapman Sales
A long run of Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum volumes

Catalogue Available at Our Web Site: www.numislit.com
Printed Catalogues $10.00

KOLBE & FANNING NUMISMATIC BOOKSELLERS
141 W JOHNSTOWN ROAD, GAHANNA OH 43230-2700
(614) 414-0855 • df at numislit.com •
The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum