The E-Sylum v14#23 June 5, 2011

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jun 5 21:25:17 PDT 2011

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 23, June 6, 2011
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 5, 2011
<#a01>
**
SKLOW MAIL BID SALE NO. 13 CLOSES JUNE 11, 2011
<#a02>
**
SALE RESULT:  PLATED CHAPMAN STICKNEY SALE CATALOG
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: 2012 STANDARD CATALOG OF WORLD COINS 1901-2000
<#a04>
**
NEW WEB SITE: SELLCOINBOOKS.COM
<#a05>
**
KRAUSE PUBLICATIONS RELAUNCHES NUMISMATICNEWS.NET
<#a06>
**
ANS COMMISSIONS ERIC NEWMAN MEDAL
<#a07>
**
MORE ON ERIC NEWMAN
<#a08>
**
READER COMMENTS ON THE WOODWARD & LOTHROP STORE COIN DEPARTMENT
<#a09>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JUNE 5, 2011
<#a10>
**
MORE ON THE COREY'S OINTMENT COUNTERSTAMP
<#a11>
**
AMERICAN COINS IN THE SHORTHOUSE COLLECTION
<#a12>
**
AN ODD AND CURIOUS CURRENCY: CIGARETTE BOXES IN GERMANY
<#a13>
**
GOLD, SILVER BECOMING LEGAL CURRENCY IN MORE STATES
<#a14>
**
BIBLIOMANIACS: HIGH ON LITERATURE?
<#a15>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTONS
<#a16>

Click here to read this issue on the web

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 5, 2011

Among our new subscribers this week are
Patricia Quintero,
Dave Kranz,
Steve Lowry,
Harold Tice and
Harald M. Suedkamp.
Welcome aboard!
We now have 1,429 email subscribers, plus 145 followers on Facebook, including
Grace Anna and Rodriguez Otto.

This week we open with a sale reminder from David Sklow, a sale follow-up from Rich Hartzog, and a few updates from Krause Publications.

Other topics include an ANS medal for Eric Newman, reader comments on the Woodward & Lothrop store coin department, and American coins in the Shorthouse collection.
Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
 Numismatic Bibliomania Society

SKLOW MAIL BID SALE NO. 13 CLOSES JUNE 11, 2011

David Sklow forwarded this reminder of his numismatic literature sale #13, which closes this week.
-Editor

Bidding Reminder: Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend!

DAVID SKLOW - FINE NUMISMATIC BOOKS
MAIL BID SALE NO. 13 CLOSES JUNE 11, 2011
PART FIVE OF “THE MASTER OF WOLFEBORO”
Q. DAVID BOWERS RESEARCH LIBRARY

>From the research & source library of Q. David Bowers are offered over 300 lots on numismatics.
Including an American Bond Detector; an Original set of Numisma by Frossard; set number 5 of the
deluxe bound Armand Champa Library catalogs; letters between QDB and John J. Ford, Jr.; the
paste-up plates for the Taylor sale of Colonials 1987; super deluxe presentation copy number 2 of the
Eliasberg & Brand collections; a set of The Essay Proof Journals; special, priced, large paper, bound,
Cogan Sale of the J.K. Wiggins Collection; six works by Snelling bound in one volume; over 125
Director of the Mint reports 1852-1977; Bankers Magazine and Statistical Register, ex: John J. Ford
Jr.; 65 lots of Bank Histories;

The sale also features classic selections from the library of numismatic publisher and literature dealer
Myron Xenos, to include hundreds of 19th and 20th century auction catalogs, An Essay on Medals by
Pinkerton, and numerous works on coinage of China, Japan and the Far East.

Over one thousand-three hundred color photographs of Large Cents 1816-1843 by William Noyes.

Library from New Mexico, featuring deluxe bound auction catalogs, numerous standard reference
works, some deluxe editions and original Early Coins of America by Crosby.

A beautiful example of Medals & Medallions Relating to Architects by Eidlitz.

Badges & Medals of the American Numismatic Association, from the estate of Rollie Finner.
Including the very rare 1991 Centennial three piece medals set, bronze, silver & gold in special
presentation wooden box.

Bidders may enter bids by mail, telephone, email or fax. The sale closes at 8pm mountain time,
June 11, 2011, however, any bids left on our answering machines or sent by email or fax on or before
midnight on closing day will be accepted.

DAVID SKLOW – FINE NUMISMATIC BOOKS
P.O. BOX 6321
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80934
TEL: (719) 302-5686
FAX: (719) 302-4933
finenumismaticbooks at aol.com
www.finenumismaticbooks.com

SALE RESULT:  PLATED CHAPMAN STICKNEY SALE CATALOG

Rich Hartzog forwarded this press release (exclusive to The E-Sylum) about his recent eBay sale of a plated Chapman catalogue.
-Editor

Rich Hartzog of World Exonumia sold a copy of the 1907 Stickney Chapman catalog  on eBay (item #
320705044846.
 This hardbound copy had 20 original photographic plates which included the 1804 Dollar, Brasher Doubloon and other rarities.

This version had the Stickney etching in the front, with the prices realized bound in.  The catalog sold for $1,575 with 45 bids from numerous bidders.  The catalog was consigned to Hartzog from a well-known midwestern coin dealer.  See

www.exonumia.com

for Hartzog's web site.

NEW BOOK: 2012 STANDARD CATALOG OF WORLD COINS 1901-2000

Krause Publications has released another update in the Standard Catalog of World Coins series.
-Editor

In a coin market that is always changing it's good to have a reference catalog that not only helps you survive the changes, but also helps your coin collection thrive. That's what 2012 Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-2000 does, and does well.

This top-selling coin guide contains nearly 1 million values for coins minted around the world, between 1901 and 2000.With few exceptions, the values stated in this new 39th edition have risen from those of previous cases, and in some cases, the values have increased substantially – based on market demands. In addition to current values, this book also contains 60,000 actual-size illustrations of coins – including the front and back (obverse and reverse). These illustrations are great for helping to accurately identify coins – which is an essential part of grading and pricing your coins.

With listings for gold, platinum, palladium and silver coins, this book also helps you chart a course of success in today's turbulent precious metals market by providing you with:

Total coin weight

Fineness

Actual precious metal

Trusted by everyone from researchers and collectors to dealers and historians, this book is the one coin guide you need.

Product Type: Paperback
Page Count: 2352
Size: 8.25''w x 10.875''h
ISBN: 978-1-4402-1572-8
Other Features: 50000 Black & White Illustrations

For more information, or to order, see:

2012 Standard Catalog of World Coins - 1901-2000

(www.shopnumismaster.com/product/2012-standard-catalog-of-world-coins--1901-2000-y1742/world-coins/)

NEW WEB SITE: SELLCOINBOOKS.COM

Meghan McKeon of F+W Media, Inc. writes:

Krause Publications has developed a new website to help retail outlets evaluate and order KP numismatic products -- www.sellcoinbooks.com. Attached is additional information.

Krause Publications, a leading producer of books, magazines, web properties and events covering coin and paper money collecting, has launched a new website to help retail outlets evaluate and order KP numismatic products: www.sellcoinbooks.com.

At www.sellcoinbooks.com, retail customers can find a wide range of information on Krause Publications coin and paper money products, including:

-Frontlist title information like price, ISBN, SKU, release date, etc.
-Best-selling and editor’s choice titles.
-Merchandising tips.
-Promotional information on KP’s Pass Through Program.
-Catalog links, sales representative contacts, order forms and more.

Sellcoinbooks.com is organized in easy-to-identify categories: U.S. coins, U.S. paper money, world coins, world paper money, investment/precious metals, and coin folders. There is also a section dedicated to KP’s CD products. Ordering information is available for both domestic and international customers.

To visit the site, see:

www.sellcoinbooks.com

KRAUSE PUBLICATIONS RELAUNCHES NUMISMATICNEWS.NET

Another press release this week announces the relaunch of the NumismaticNews.net web site.
-Editor

Krause Publications has relaunched NumismaticNews.net, the online home of its popular weekly coin magazine, Numismatic News.

The relaunched site features many popular carryovers from the old NumismaticNews.net, along with some new ones:

-Blogs from KP numismatic experts Dave Harper, Bob Van Ryzin, George Cuhaj and Tom Michael, along with the new Community Voice blog by online editor Lisa Bellavin.

-All the latest numismatic news.

-Popular features like Item of the Week, Mint States, Class of '63 and Coin Clinic.

-Free educational downloads for site registrants.

-Online seminars on popular numismatic topics, hosted by Harper.

-Regular sweepstakes.

-A marketplace featuring classified advertising and an industry directory.

"We're really excited about the new site, especially the Community Voice blog," said Bellavin. "Users can register on the site and submit feedback on the weekly topic of interest, and see themselves featured."

For more information visit

 www.numismaticnews.net

 SALE REMINDER
 DAVID SKLOW - FINE NUMISMATIC BOOKS
JUNE 11, 2011 - MAIL BID SALE NO. 13

BIDDERS MAY ENTER BIDS BY MAIL, TELEPHONE, EMAIL OR FAX. THE SALE CLOSES AT 8PM MOUNTAIN TIME, HOWEVER, ANY BIDS LEFT ON OUR ANSWERING MACHINE, SENT BY EMAIL OR FAX RECEIVED BY MIDNIGHT ON CLOSING DAY WILL BE ACCEPTED

numismaticbooks at aol.com

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum