The E-Sylum v14#42 October 9, 2011

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Fri Oct 7 21:16:29 PDT 2011

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 42, October 8, 2011
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 9, 2011
<#a01>
**
LAKE BOOKS 109TH SALE RESULTS AVAILABLE
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: THE BRITISH MUSEUM AND THE FUTURE OF UK NUMISMATICS
<#a03>
**
'ONE COIN IS NEVER ENOUGH' AUTHOR TO HOLD ONLINE SEMINAR
<#a04>
**
CSNS BOARD APPROVES GRANTS FOR NUMISMATIC AUTHORS AND RESEARCHERS
<#a05>
**
1872 INTERNATIONAL PEACE JUBILEE MEDAL ENGRAVER: PHILIP RANDALL
<#a06>
**
NORTH CAROLINA STATE TREASURY NOTE SIGNATURE IDENTIFIED
<#a07>
**
QUERY: GORNY & MOSCH CATALOGS SOUGHT FOR ANA LIBRARY
<#a08>
**
QUERY: HOW TO MEASURE AN IRREGULARLY SHAPED COIN
<#a09>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 9, 2011
<#a10>
**
QUERY: BOOKS ON CHARLOTTE MINT HISTORY
<#a11>
**
MORE ON ACHIEVEMENT MEDALS
<#a12>
**
QUERY: CENTRAL STATES NUMISMATIC SOCIETY SALE CATALOGS SOUGHT
<#a13>
**
ON GERMAN ANHäNGER OR "GOOD FOR" MEDALS
<#a14>
**
QUERY: INFORMATION ON DR. JOHN E. WILKISON SOUGHT
<#a15>
**
CHOPMARK NEWS INTERVIEWS SMITHSONIAN CURATOR RICHARD DOTY
<#a16>
**
CITY OF LAKEWOOD CHALLENGE COIN
<#a17>
**
SECURITY FIRM ANNOUNCES NANO-SCALE BANKNOTE AUTHENTICATION TECHNOLOGY
<#a18>
**
MILESTONE COINS AND KIDS
<#a19>
**
HEDGE FUND BUYING UP NICKELS
<#a20>
**
THE ORIGAMI-STYLE MONEY SCULPTURES OF ARTIST DAN TAGUE
<#a21>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: THE MEGAPENNY PROJECT
<#a22>

Click here to read this issue on the web

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 9, 2011

Among our new subscribers this week are
Brad Rodgers,
Johann Armannsson and
James Ricks.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,460 email subscribers, plus 165 followers on Facebook, including
Dan Aidif.

This week's issue was "put to bed" after midnight Friday.  Bruce Perdue published it tonight on my behalf. Thanks!  I'm traveling this weekend and will plow through my email backlog next week.  Thank you all for your patience.

This week we open with a short note from Fred Lake and word of a new book on the future of U.K. Numismatics.  Other topics include available grants for numismatic researchers, books on the Charlotte Mint, and an interview with Dr. Richard Doty of the Smithsonian.

To learn more about  engraver Philip G. Randall, how to measure an irregularly shaped coin, Anhänger medals, and nano-scale anticounterfeiting technology, read on.
Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
 Numismatic Bibliomania Society

LAKE BOOKS 109TH SALE RESULTS AVAILABLE

Fred Lake forwarded the following announcement.
-Editor

The prices realized list for our 109th mail-bid sale of numismatic literature featuring selections from the library of Dr. Allen Axenfield is now available for viewing on our web site at

www.lakebooks.com/current
.

The sale was busy at the last hour and results were satisfying.

Our next sale will be held during January, 2012 and will highlight material from the extensive library of J. R. Frankenfield, a driving force in the Early Coppers realm.

Be sure to obtain a copy of this sale to find specially bound catalogs and books garnered by this wonderful collector over many years. He was a true "giant" in this numismatic arena.

Lake Books
6822 22nd Ave. N.
St. Petersburg, FL 33710
727-343-8055  Fax 727-345-3750

NEW BOOK: THE BRITISH MUSEUM AND THE FUTURE OF UK NUMISMATICS

CoinsWeekly published a release about a new book based on the proceedings of a conference held to mark the 150th anniversary of the British Museum’s Department of Coins and Medals in 2011.
-Editor

Barrie Cook (ed.), The British Museum and the Future of UK Numismatics, British Museum Research Publication No. 183. Oxbow Books, 100 pages, 40 plates, 10 diagrams and tables. ISBN 978-0861591831. Paperback. GBP 15.

This book covers the history and methodology of the discipline of numismatics as a whole, as well as for the specifics of the institution whose anniversary is celebrated. It is focussed on the future – but the future would not be possible without building on the achievements of the past 150 years.

Barry Cook, Curator of Medieval and Early Modern Coins in the British Museum, is the editor of the proceedings of a conference held to mark the 150th anniversary of the British Museum’s Department of Coins and Medals in 2011. The publication spells out ways forward for numismatic activity and the roles UK museums may play in developing the discipline in the 21st century.

Contents:

Foreword, Barrie Cook, Curator of Medieval and Early Modern Coins, British Museum

* The British Museum and Numismatics Past and Present, Andrew Burnett, Deputy Director, British Museum

The British Museum and the UK Numismatic Community: Past Experience and Future Possibilities, Nick Mayhew, Deputy Director, Ashmolean Museum

The International Numismatic Community and the Role of the British Museum: Past, Present and Future, Christel Schollaardt, Manager of Collections and Research, Geldmuseum, Utrecht, and President of ICOMON

Coins in Context: Archaeology, the Portable Antiquities Scheme and Treasure, Richard Kelleher, Editor of Money and Medals Newsletter, and Ian Leins, Curator of Iron Age and Roman Coins, British Museum

Money Laundering: The Conservation of Coins and Coin Hoards at the British Museum, Ellen van Bork, Metals Conservator, Rijksmuseum and freelance teacher, University of Amsterdam

The Application of Science to Coins and Coin Hoards at the British Museum, Duncan Hook, Senior Scientist, British Museum

Building the Collections: Past, Present and Future, Gareth Williams, Curator of Early Medieval Coins, British Museum

New Histories of Central and South Asia: the Role of Numismatics, Robert Bracey, Project Curator Kushan Coins, British Museum

Alexander, Apelles and Lysippus in the Renaissance: Coins, Medals and Pictures, Luke Syson, Curator of Italian Paintings before 1500 and Head of Research, National Gallery

Money in Africa: New Historical and Anthropological Approaches, Maxim Bolt, Researcher: Money in Africa project, Catherine Eagleton, Curator of Modern Money, and Leigh Gardner, Researcher: Money in Africa project, British Museum

Money for the Masses: Coins, Museums and the Public, John Orna-Ornstein, Head of London and National Programmes, British Museum

Collections Online at the British Museum. Eleanor Ghey, Documentation Assistant and Project Curator, Roman Coins, British Museum

Distributing the Wealth: Digital Knowledge Transfer for Numismatics, Daniel Pett, ICT Advisor, Portable Antiquities and Treasure, British Museum

The British Museum and Numismatics: the Future, Philip Attwood, Keeper of Coins and Medals, British Museum

The book is published and distributed by Oxbow Books.

www.oxbowbooks.com

To read the complete CoinsWeekly article, see:

The British Museum and the Future of UK Numismatics

(www.coinsweekly.com/en/News/4?&id=812)

To visit the site of the British Museum, see:

www.britishmuseum.org

To read CoinsWeekly’s report on the conference, see:

The British Museum celebrates its 150th birthday

(www.coinsweekly.com/en/The-British-Museum-celebrates-its-150th-birthday/4?&id=460)

'ONE COIN IS NEVER ENOUGH' AUTHOR TO HOLD ONLINE SEMINAR

Regarding the new book One Coin Is Never Enough,
Scott Tappa of Krause Publications writes:

We will have the author of this book, Michael Shutty, conducting an online seminar October 20 as part of our efforts to really offer up the content in as many forms of media as possible.

Nice idea - I hope there's a good turnout to make it worthwhile.  The more media formats the better for promoting numismatics.   As much as I love books, they aren't the only game in town anymore.
Here's the press release for the event.
-Editor

Michael J. Shutty Jr., PhD, author of the popular new book One Coin is Never Enough from Krause Publications, will present a free online coin collecting seminar on Oct. 20.

Shutty will talk with seminar attendees about the reasons they collect, the thrill of the hunt and the very different kinds of people who are drawn to the hobby of kings. Questions for Shutty may be submitted in advance of the seminar, or during the seminar via email and Twitter. Attendees following the seminar on Twitter will be eligible to win prizes from Krause Publications.

The seminar will be held at 4 p.m. EST, Oct. 20. To register, visit

www1.gotomeeting.com/register/763696041
.

For more information on Shutty's book, One Coin is Never Enough, visit

www.shopnumismaster.com/product/one-coin-is-never-enough/us-coins
.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: ONE COIN IS NEVER ENOUGH

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n40a04.html)

CSNS BOARD APPROVES GRANTS FOR NUMISMATIC AUTHORS AND RESEARCHERS

Bruce Perdue forward this note from the Central States Numismatic Society.  It's a great opportunity for authors.
-Editor

"Attention: All Numismatic Authors And Researchers... The Central States Board Of Directors has approved a grant program which will fund writing and research on numismatic topics. Mini-grants between $2500 and $5000 are available through the CSNS Education Committee and Board. Details about the grants and application procedure are available from  CSNS Education Director:  Ray Lockwood- 765-664-6520 OR sunrayofmarion at aol.com ."

 KOLBE & FANNING NUMISMATIC BOOKSELLERS
has hundreds of titles listed for immediate sale on their website at
 www.numislit.com.
www.numislit.com.

1872 INTERNATIONAL PEACE JUBILEE MEDAL ENGRAVER: PHILIP RANDALL

Last week Dave Bowers wrote:

I have an inquiry. In studying a die made for the International Peace Jubilee in Boston in 1872 I cannot decipher the engraver’s name, which is reproduced on attached pictures. Can anyone help?

I wrote:

Part of this looks like "RANDALL" to me, but it sure is hard to read.  Any other guesses?  Anyone know for a fact who the engraver was?
-Editor

Well, Dick Johnson came through for us, submitting the following.
-Editor

Dave Bowers sent a scan of a signature on an 1872 International Peace Jubilee shell in last week's E-Sylum asking for the identity of the signature. Editor Homren suggested D. RANDALL.

I searched my databank of American Artists and found a Randall that fit the correct time and place (the Rule of Propinquity). Unfortunately I had no full name nor dates. I had recorded, however, two items by this engraver, both from 1875, and both listed as Holland 4 and 5 from an article in American Journal of Numismatics. This was listed by H.W. Holland in "American Centennial Medals" in the January 1876 issue of AJN.

Also I had a citation by Storer to each of these medals, one in his medical medals, and one in his Massachusetts medals. I had cited that the name had also been recorded by Richard Kennedy in his manuscript cards at the ANS. The name Randall was recorded for only one diesinker in the David Schenkman diesinker archives, recently acquired, but this was for a Randall in Los Angeles decades later. (Rule of Propinquity obviously ruled this out).

But Dave's request sent me deeper into my records.  I had compiled a list of all engravers and diesinkers of all kinds and stripes in New England. I had gathered these records for just such an inquiry. Sure enough I found a hit -- Philip G. Randall of Boston. He had been listed in a New England Business Directory of 1875. (Rule of Propinquity proved this was right on target!)

But what were those letters at the end of the name that looked like FNO.  FECIT didn't fit. Then I recall how Juniors signed their name in the 19th century JNO.

Sure enough the signature on Dave's piece is  P. G. RANDALL JNO for Philip G. Randall of 41 Arch Street, Boston who was active 1872-75.

This does bring me to offer a service to anyone who has an obscure signature, initials or monograms-- on American items only! -- for possible identification. Send a scan, drawing or description as best you can. I will attempt to identify the engraver or sculptor of your numismatic item from my 3,587-artist databank and my other records. Limit 3 at any one time.

If you have a lot to identify buy my book, Monograms of American Medallists, $45 postpaid. Contact:  dick.johnson at snet.net.

NORTH CAROLINA STATE TREASURY NOTE SIGNATURE IDENTIFIED

Last week Paul Horner submitted this question about a hard-to-read signature.
-Editor

The attached is an image of a genuine 1862 10 cents North Carolina State
Treasury note.
I would like any readers ideas as to what the signed name is.
  I have never seen another note with a signature like
this.

Paul writes:

Thanks for posting the images of the odd signature on the North Carolina note.  It didn't take long for someone to decipher it.  On Monday John MacVean e-mailed me that the signature appears to read "Eugene Newman M.D."  I agree with him.  I have no idea who  "Eugene Newman MD is or was, but I would call it a "vanity autograph" on a remainder note and not a contemporary signer.  E-Sylum readers are the best!  I puzzled over it for a long time, and then the answer arrived in one day.

I don't think I could have guessed that one in a million years.  Thanks!
-Editor

QUERY: GORNY & MOSCH CATALOGS SOUGHT FOR ANA LIBRARY

Amanda Harvey,
Assistant Library Manager at the American Numismatic Association writes:

The ANA Library is looking for Gorny & Mosch catalogs from after March of 2008 and we were wondering if any of your readers might have some that they would like to donate to the library.

Can anyone help complete the library's holdings?
-Editor

QUERY: HOW TO MEASURE AN IRREGULARLY SHAPED COIN

Leon Saryan writes:

Here's a question for the experts:  Is there an accepted way to measure and report the diameter of an irregular (i.e. not exactly circular ancient or medieval era) coin?  If the coin is irregular the diameter will vary depending on the way it is placed within the caliper.  Let's say for example the maximum diameter of a coin is 22 mm, and the minimum is 20 mm, can the diameter be reported as 21 mm?  Should one rather say it is 20-22 mm, or 21 +/- 1 mm, or what?

Good question.  Is there an accepted practice in this regard?
-Editor

“MILLIONS OF COIN COLLECTORS CAN’T BE WRONG!”

A Guide Book of United States Coins is the world’s most popular annual price guide for U.S. coins, tokens, and other numismatic items. It’s also one of the best-selling nonfiction titles in the history of U.S. publishing—more than 22 million copies in print since 1946. Add the 65th edition to your numismatic library:  Order at

www.WhitmanBooks.com

or call 1-800-546-2995.

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 9, 2011

 Where to Buy 'The Alexander Medallion'
For those interested in the Holt/Bopearachchi book The Alexander Medallion,  Howard Cohen confirmed with Philip Skingley of Spink that they would be selling the book.  On Friday Philip wrote: "The books were delivered to me this morning so we can now supply, the price is £40".  Check the firm's web site to confirm details.

Via Bill Daehn, Frank Holt writes:

You may also contact:  Libraire Fenêtre sur l'Asie, 49 rue Gay Lussac, 75005 Paris, Phone: ++ 33 1 43 29 11 00.  E-mail: fenetresurlasie at yahoo.fr

 Dr Irving Shuster's Collection
Alan V. Weinberg writes:

I believe Dr Irving Shuster's large collection of Washingtonia was auctioned by Bowers and Merena. And, if my memory serves me right, this collector formed much of his Washingtonia collection by acquiring it intact in a trade with John Ford in which Shuster traded a single ex. rare coin to Ford - it might have been one of the Nova Constellatio patterns as I recall. Does anyone know what in fact Ford received in trade? You can be certain Ford had the upper hand in the trade. Knowledge is King.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

QUERY: AUCTION CATALOGS SOUGHT FOR ANA LIBRARY

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n41a12.html)

QUERY: BOOKS ON CHARLOTTE MINT HISTORY

Scott Barman writes:

I am looking for a reference about the Charlotte Mint and found one reference. Do you know anything about the book, "United States Branch Mint at Charlotte, North Carolina: Its History and Coinage" by Clair M. Birdsall?

Well, I have three Charlotte Mint books in my library (besides the Doug Winter book on the Charlotte coins).  One is the Birdsall book, published in 1988.  The others are:

Stautzenberger, Anthony J., The Establishment of the Charlotte Branch Mint: A Documented History, published in 1976

Wilkinson, Henrietta H., The Mint Museum of Art at Charlotte: A Brief History, 1973

I would recommend having all three - for me, one book is never enough.   The Stautzenberger book, as the subtitles states, is a collection of original documents relating to the establishment of the Mint.  The Wilkinson book is divided in two parts - the first covers the building and its use as a Mint; the second part covers the building's life as a museum.  It's still there, and I should probably add this to my Numismatic Bucket List.

If I had to recommend just one of these, the Birdsall book is probably the best history for a numismatist; it also discusses the coins.   Reader thoughts are welcome.

MORE ON ACHIEVEMENT MEDALS

Dick Johnson submitted the following in response to my discussion of 'Achievement Medals'.
-Editor

Your request for information on Achievement Medals has already been done. In fact there are several books on the subject. Instead of listing the recipients for you I will list the books that contain these.

Needless to say, one firm dominated the creation of these medals in America in the 20th and now the 21st century: obviously Medallic Art Company. You are correct these medals do come on the market, generally after a generation or two's time. It seems a parent's medals are esteemed and kept within the family but a grandparent's medals are often disposed.

This list of books can be found in my medalblog article on awards:

Medal Award Programs
Require Better Management

(medalblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/medal-award-programs-%e2%80%a8require-better-management/)

Awards, Award Medals and Recipients

{1956} Brook (Herbert) The Blue Book of Awards. Chicago: Marquis–Who’s Who, 186 pages.

{1969} Gale Research Company. Awards, Honors and Prizes. Detroit: Gale Research Company.
Volume 1 (American) 16 editions through 2000.

{1969} Gale Research Company. World of Winners; International. Detroit: Gale Research Co.
Volume 2 (Foreign):

{1977} Stuart (Sandra Lee) Who Won What When; the Record Book of Winners. Secaucus, NJ:
Lyle Stuart Inc. 488 pages.

{1978} Walter (Claire) The Book of Winners. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. 731 pages.
Published & copyrighted by Facts on File.

{1979} Europa. World Dictionary of Awards and Prizes. London: Europa. 386 pages.

{1988} Gregory (Gregory W.) Awards & Decorations of U.S. State Military Forces.
Vandenberg AFB, CA: Patriot Press. 530 pages.

The books listed above only identify the medal recipients.
The book I envision would also have numismatic information about each medal – photos, measurements, number struck, artist, engraver, manufacturer, etc.
I've gotten no suggestions for a "Top Ten" list of Achievement Medals, but certainly the Nobel and Pulitzer prize medals would be up there.  Each country has its own national medals, but in the U.S. these would include the Congressional Medal of Honor and any of those awarded by the President.  There have been some good periodical articles on some of these, but I don't think these have ever been gathered in a book.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

OBAMA AWARDS NATIONAL MEDALS OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n41a23.html)

Dick adds:

The image of the National Medal of Science should be rotated 5 degrees clockwise.

Or it might be easer to say, line up the lowest point of the first and last letters of the legend (N...E) completely horizontal. That will bring its orientation into correct alignment. It will make his back appear more vertical straight up and down and not leaning backwards.

This medal was the creation of sculptor Donald de Lue (1897-1988), it is struck by Medallic Art Company and carries the catalog number 1960-025.

The image was taken directly from the news article.  Although I often edit images to crop or align them, I didn't try with this one.  I tried it for this issue, but rotating it led to loss of part of the image. So the original is displayed again here.
-Editor

THE BOOK BAZARRE
DAVID SKLOW - FINE NUMISMATIC BOOKS offers Mail Bid Sale No. 14 on
October 15, 2011, including:

Cogan catalog of a Private Collection of United States Large Cents Nov. 1, 1858

www.finenumismaticbooks.com.
PH: (719) 302-5686, FAX: (719) 302-4933.  EMAIL: numismaticbooks at aol.com. USPS: Box 6321, Colorado Springs, CO. 80934. Contact me for your numismatic literature needs!

QUERY: CENTRAL STATES NUMISMATIC SOCIETY SALE CATALOGS SOUGHT

Bruce Perdue forwarded this request for auction catalogs missing from the Central States Numismatic Society's collection.  Can anyone help?
-Editor

CSNS Historian/Archivist Jack Huggins is looking for the following catalogs from CSNS Conventions.  Any donations are welcome and postage will be reimbursed.  Purchase of catalogs is also an options.  Any other CSNS convention material would be welcomed and preserved.  For information contact Jack Huggins at HUG511 at aol.com  . Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1942 May 9   Kelly, James

1947 May 2   Kelly, James

1948 Apr 16  Kelly, James

1949 May 13  Kelly, James

1951 May    unk

1954 Apr 30 Kosoff, Abe - Numismatic Gallery

1956 Apr 27 Kosoff, Abe - Numismatic Gallery

1963 Apr 16 Rare Coin Company of America

1965 Apr 23 French's

1967 Apr 28 unk

1968 Apr 19 unk

1980 Apr 17 Kagin's

1981 Apr 2  Bowers & Ruddy

1982 Apr 29  Bowers & Ruddy

1983 Apr 7  Bowers & Merena

1992 May 1 RARCOA & Akers, David

1993 May 21  RARCOA & Akers, David & Heritage

1994 Apr 7 Heritage

1995 Apr 28 Heritage

1996 Apr 26  Heritage

1997 Apr 10  Heritage

1998 Apr 23  Heritage

1999 Apr 23 Heritage

ON GERMAN ANHäNGER OR "GOOD FOR" MEDALS

William P. Houston of
Frankfurt am Main, Germany submitted these thoughts on the "Liberty Seated Lookalike Token" described in the last issue.   Thanks!
-Editor

Several times the item is referred to as a "token."  This is a basic error.  A token is a "Good For" something.  They often are used in place of legal coins or as a promotional or gift give away. This piece is strictly a medal.  The correct German term for such an item is "Anhänger," or if you don't have a correct font, "Anhaenger."  This means something that one can hang (see the similarity?) somewhere, since the item was made with a loop which probably originally had a small ribbon in it with a pin attached so that one could pin it to a coat, blouse or whatever.

On the "harp" (it's actually a lyre) side of the medal the inscription starts with the number 12 followed by a period (12.).  This is a type of shorthand, just the same as 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 12th.

I have run across the Liberty Seated design on German items a few times before in the past.  Don't remember exactly for what -- medals or counters or maybe even a real token.  I might still have one or two somewhere but I would be hard put to find them.

Alan V. Weinberg adds:

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum