The E-Sylum v14#37 September 4, 2011

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Mon Sep 5 03:15:24 PDT 2011

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 37, September 4, 2011
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM SEPTEMBER 4, 2011
<#a01>
**
CHARLES DAVIS NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE OCTOBER 1, 2011
<#a02>
**
LAKE BOOKS NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE #109 OCTOBER 4, 2011
<#a03>
**
SKLOW MAIL BID SALE NO. 14 CLOSES OCTOBER 15, 2011
<#a04>
**
BRYCE BROWN NUMISMATIC LITERATURE WEBSITE UPDATED
<#a05>
**
KOLBE & FANNING NUMISMATIC LITERATURE WEBSITE UPDATED
<#a06>
**
NEW BOOK: THE ROSA AMERICANA COINAGE OF WILLIAM WOOD
<#a07>
**
MORE ON NUMISMATIC LITERATURE EXHIBITS AT THE 2011 CHICAGO ANA
<#a08>
**
VISITOR NOTES ON THE BURD NUMISMATIC LIBRARY
<#a09>
**
ARTICLE ON GOLD DOUBLE DARIC OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT SOUGHT
<#a10>
**
QUERY: REGISTER OF THE CONFEDERATE DEBT INFORMATION SOUGHT
<#a11>
**
QUERY: WAYTE RAYMOND NATIONAL COIN ALBUM INFORMATION SOUGHT
<#a12>
**
MORE ON NASCA AND HERB MELNICK
<#a13>
**
MORE ON THE PCGS ' GENUINE ELECTROTYPE' DESIGNATION
<#a14>
**
1796 SIR GEORGE COOK CONDER TOKEN
<#a15>
**
NO 'S' IN NAME MEDALLIC ART COMPANY AND OTHER TABOOS
<#a16>
**
BOUND VOLUME OF THE STACK'S 52 COLLECTION SALE
<#a17>
**
A PICTURE OF ISRAEL SWITT
<#a18>
**
LIBERTY DOLLARS MAY BE SUBJECT TO SEIZURE
<#a19>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: SEPTEMBER 4, 2011
<#a20>
**
HOWARD DANIEL'S 2011 CHICAGO ANA DIARY
<#a21>
**
LEGENDARY BLUE AND RED MAURITIUS STAMPS REUNITED IN BERLIN EXHIBIT
<#a22>
**
WINNER'S MEDAL FROM THE FIRST WORLD CUP TO BE AUCTIONED
<#a23>
**
PORTRAIT SKETCHES OF OPERATION BERNHARD COUNTERFEITERS UNVEILED
<#a24>
**
$20,000 CASH ARTWORK SELLS FOR $21,350
<#a25>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: THE LINCOLN CENT
<#a26>

Click here to read this issue on the web

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM SEPTEMBER 4, 2011

Among our new subscribers this week are
Don Walsh and
George A. Petrulakis.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,454 email subscribers, plus 159 followers on Facebook, including
Daniel Krustev.

 The Numismatic Bibliomania Society's Internet email newsletter was launched on Friday, September 4, 1998.   Now known as The E-Sylum and published each Sunday evening, it's been a blog since before the word was invented, one of the oldest on any topic on the web.   To put this in perspective, in December of that year my first son Christopher was born, and now at nearly 13, he stands taller than my wife (and he's gaining on me).

 The E-Sylum has inspired several other electronic newsletters, but remains something special.  Its secret sauce is you, the readers, who infuse each issue with some of the most interesting numismatic commentary and discussion to be had anywhere.

It's been an honor and a privilege to edit this little journal all these years.   Yeah, it's a lot of work too, but the fun and camaraderie make it all worthwhile.   Thanks for sticking with me on this experiment.  Now back to our regular programming.

First, I'd like to apologize to some of our readers who sent items for publication in tonight's issue.  There were so many responses this week that I just ran out of time.  I may be able to use a couple next week.  Sorry!

This week we open with word from half a dozen numismatic literature dealers, followed by an announcement of a new book on Rosa Americana coinage.  Other topics include The Register of the Confederate Debt, National Coin Albums, NASCA and Herb Melnick, and Liberty Dollars.

To learn more about  the spectacular Gold Double Daric of Alexander the Great,
Izzy Switt and a winner’s medal from the first World Cup, read on.
Have a great week, everyone!

CHARLES DAVIS NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE OCTOBER 1, 2011

Charlie Davis forwarded the following note about his upcoming numismatic literature sale.
-Editor

My next Mail Bid Sale of Numismatic Literature will close on October 1. Notable lots include a long run of The Numismatist starting with Volume I, and the most comprehensive offering of Red Books including a 29 volume set signed by Yeoman to a first edition contributor, two additional signed first editions, all known interleaved editions, an interesting assortment of works and letters dealing with counterfeiting, and an early (1554) illustrated work on Roman coins.

The catalogue is usually available on vcoins, but as I write, the site is in great turmoil having been replaced by its new owners with a largely non-functional disaster.  The catalogue and 150-200 photos, are however, available at
www.Numisbook.com
.

Charles Davis
Numismatic Literature
P.O. Box 547
Wenham, MA 01984

Tel: (978) 468 2933
Fax: (978) 468 7893

http://www.numisbook.com

LAKE BOOKS NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE #109 OCTOBER 4, 2011

Fred Lake forwarded this note about his upcoming October sale.
-Editor

Lake Books announces that its 109th mail-bid sale of numismatic literature is now available on their web site at

www.lakebooks.com/current.html
.
The sale features selections from the library of Dr. Allen Axenfield and contains reference material on U. S. coins, World and Ancient coins, Paper Money, Tokens and Medals, and numismatic ephemera.

Of particular note are long runs of "The Numismatic Chronicle" from the Royal Numismatic Society and many of the "Sylloge of Coins of the British Isles". Bids may be placed via email, telephone, fax or US Mail until the closing time of 5:00 PM (EDT) on Tuesday, October 4, 2011.Remember to bid early as ties are won by the earliest bid received.

Good luck with your bidding,  Fred

Lake Books
6822 22nd Ave. N.
St. Petersburg, FL 33710
727-343-8055  Fax 727-345-3750

SKLOW MAIL BID SALE NO. 14 CLOSES OCTOBER 15, 2011

David Sklow forwarded this following reminder of his upcoming literature auction.
-Editor

MAIL BID SALE NO. 14 CLOSES OCTOBER 15, 2011
 FEATURING THE PAPER MONEY WORKS AND SCARCE ITEMS FROM THE LIBRARY OF MYRON XENOS
ALSO PART VI OF THE Q. DAVID BOWERS LIBRARY, THE GOLD REFERENCE CATALOGS OF DONALD KAGIN, SCARCE RED BOOKS, THE WORKING LIBRARY OF MARLIN KRAVITZ AND MANY OTHER SURPRISES, 1022 LOTS, SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE!

Bidders may enter bids by mail, telephone, email or fax. The sale closes at 8pm mountain time, October 15, 2011, however, any bids left on our answering machines or sent by email or fax on or before midnight on closing day will be accepted.  Auction catalog is viewable on our website

Catalogs have been shipped and individuals on our mailing list should be receiving their catalogs, or have them in hand. Catalogs are available upon request at no charge.

 DAVID SKLOW – FINE NUMISMATIC BOOKS
 P.O. BOX 6321
 COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80934
 TEL: (719) 302-5686
 FAX: (719) 302-4933

www.finenumismaticbooks at aol.com

BRYCE BROWN NUMISMATIC LITERATURE WEBSITE UPDATED

Bryce Brown of  Avon, CT forwarded the following note to readers.
-Editor

I invite the E-Sylum readers to visit my Numismatic Literature website:

http://brycebooks.squarespace.com
 .
My inventory lists have been updated with many new items.  Fortunately, I kept high and dry during Hurricane Irene!

KOLBE & FANNING NUMISMATIC LITERATURE WEBSITE UPDATED

David Fanning forwarded this note about recent updates to the Kolbe & Fanning website.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers have been adding books for sale to their new website at

www.numislit.com
,
where visitors can browse hundreds of books by categories or search for particular titles. Recently added works include: Hull on coins of Muhammadan India; Jack Collins's important fixed price list of Washingtonia; the Quarterman reprint of Betts; the first volume of Mason's Coin & Stamp Collectors' Magazine; a 1796 U.S. government report dealing partly with Mint expenditures; a copy of Valentine on fractional currency with annotations by Walter Breen; Vol. 7 of the Roman Provincial Coinage series; a number of volumes from the Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum series; and many others.

Information can also be found regarding Kolbe & Fanning's upcoming Sept. 15 mail-bid sale, the firm's publications and other activities. For information on consigning to the firm's January 7 New York public auction of rare numismatic literature, please contact either George Kolbe or David Fanning directly at gfk at numislit.com or df at numislit.com.

NEW BOOK: THE ROSA AMERICANA COINAGE OF WILLIAM WOOD

Earlier this week on the Yahoo Colonial Coins group Ray Williams wrote:

The Whitman Expo in Philly is less than three weeks away!  I heard a rumor that Syd Martin's new reference book on Wood's Rosa Americana Coinage will be available at the table of Charles Davis Numismatic Literature.  Rumor also has it that it will be the same price as the Wood's Hibernia Book ($85 or $95 including shipping).

We ALL should have an example of a Rosa Americana coin in our collections!  How much more "Colonial American" can you get than to have "Americana" in the coin's legend???  I saw Syd's copy that was rush mailed to him for the ANA Convention.  Unfortunately, we were at a restaurant and I didn't have the time to spend with it that I wish I had.  But this looks like the book for Rosas that will be called "The Standard Reference" for generations to come.

I checked with Charlie Davis who confirmed the rumor, provided pricing, and forwarded an image of the book's cover.  He writes:

The Rosa Americana book is available at $85.00 plus $6.50 shipping.  (I am sure someone will write a review shortly).

I'm looking forward to the book as well.  Who would like to write a short review for The E-Sylum?
-Editor

I contacted Ray Williams for more information.  He writes:

In response to your inquiry, I have some advance information for E-Sylum readers about the new C4 Publication "The Rosa Americana Coinage of William Wood" by Syd Martin.  I plan to purchase my copy at the Whitman Expo in a couple weeks, but I did see Syd's advance copy at the ANA Convention.  It is 504 pages long, written in the same format as Syd's 2007 book on Wood's Hibernia Coinage, has an attractive dust jacket and is now the standard reference that will stand for generations.

It is well illustrated throughout, has images and diagnostics for the 123 known Rosa varieties, plus those of all the pattern coinage.  All aspects of this coinage are covered, academic, scientific and numismatic.  No library dedicated to early American numismatics can be without this book.   I am very proud that C4 has published books for the enjoyment and education of the hobby!

As I said in the first sentence, this is advance information.  A listing of the Table of Contents (four pages long) along with ordering information should be on the C4 website later this week www.colonialcoins.org
If you want to order blindly just on my recommendation, contact

Charles Davis
Numismatic Literature
P.O. Box 547
Wenham, MA 01984

Tel: (978) 468 2933
Fax: (978) 468 7893

http://www.numisbook.com

 KOLBE & FANNING SEPTEMBER 15, 2011 SALE HIGHLIGHTS

 Rare and Unusual Publications on American Numismatics Including
 Original Sets of Dasí and Herrera on Eight Reales and Vidal Quadras y Ramón
John E. Wilkison’s Leather-bound 1954 King Farouk Sale
A Priced and Named 1932 Giovanni P. Morosini Sale of
Italian and Other Rare Gold Coins
Nice Runs of Bolender, Elder, Haseltine, Bowers, and
Pine Tree Auction Sale Catalogues

Catalogue Available at Our Web Site: www.numislit.com
Printed Catalogues $10.00

KOLBE & FANNING NUMISMATIC BOOKSELLERS
141 W JOHNSTOWN ROAD, GAHANNA OH 43230-2700
(614) 414-0855 • df at numislit.com •
The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum