The E-Sylum v14#39 September 18, 2011

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Mon Sep 19 02:59:35 PDT 2011

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 39, September 18, 2011
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM SEPTEMBER 18, 2011
<#a01>
**
THE JANUARY 2012 KOLBE & FANNING NEW YORK BOOK SALE
<#a02>
**
A BRIEF REPORT ON KOLBE & FANNING SALE 122 HIGHLIGHTS
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: A FORGOTTEN NICKEL
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: STANDARD CATALOG OF UNITED STATES PAPER MONEY, 30TH EDITION
<#a05>
**
A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF DR. JOHN A. MUSCALUS BOOKS ON PAPER MONEY
<#a06>
**
ANS LIBRARY SEEKS DONATIONS IN MEMORY OF F. GORDON FROST
<#a07>
**
THE ENIGMATIC CHARLES TOWN SOCIAL CLUB MEDAL
<#a08>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: SEPTEMBER 18, 2011
<#a09>
**
MORE ON THE MASTERPIECES OF ITALIAN PORTRAITURE EXHIBIT
<#a10>
**
MORE ON POSSIBLE CONFISCATION OF STOLEN ERROR COINS
<#a11>
**
ALAN WEINBERG'S 2011 WHITMAN PHILADELPHIA SHOW DIARY
<#a12>
**
WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY
<#a13>
**
DICK JOHNSON'S NUMISMATIC BUCKET LIST
<#a14>
**
IS THE  HALF DOLLAR WITH A SECRET COMPARTMENT AN ELECTROTYPE?
<#a15>
**
QUERY: ART AND COIN MUTILATION LAWS
<#a16>
**
UNIVERSITIES SUED OVER GOOGLE BOOK SCANNING
<#a17>
**
RARE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE TO BE SOLD
<#a18>
**
WISHING TREES: TRUNKS STUDDED WITH COINS FOR LUCK
<#a19>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: THE NUMISMATOURIST
<#a20>

Click here to read this issue on the web

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM SEPTEMBER 18, 2011

Readers may experience formatting problems with this issue.  We're looking into the problem and may republish the issue later.    Scroll down past the gobbledegook and you may find the content below.

Among our new subscribers this week are
Alex Clain-Stefanelli, courtesy of Gene Brandenburg,
Jorge W. Tamayo, and
Richard Gratton.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,460 email subscribers, plus 162 followers on Facebook, including
Pascal Leyne.

In his September 26, 2011 column in Coin World, Dave Bowers noted the small turnout at most of the Numismatic Theater events and specialty club meetings he attended at the recent American Numismatic Association convention in Chicago, IL.  But he noted one exception: the annual meeting of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.  He wrote:

There were perhaps three dozen or so on hand at the NBS meeting, but they represented some of the most talented nd accomplished people in our hobby.  The discussions were dynamic.

Dave went on to mention The E-Sylum, with our over 1,400 readers (compared to the 400 or so paid NBS members who receive our print journal,
The Asylum.   He asks:

Wit lackluster attendance at numismatic educational events and reduced memberships and subscriptions to things in print, are we soon to be an Internet-only society?  No longer do we need to pay for anything. No longer do we need to go anywhere.

What do readers think?  One could argue that it is the regular weekly interchange among readers of The E-Sylum that drives interest in NBS.  Other clubs are not using the Internet in quite the same way (if at all).   BTW, Joel Orosz has a great installment of his "Numismatic Bookie" column in the same issue - check it out.

This week we open with two updates from Kolbe & Fanning, and word on two new numismatic books. Other topics include the writings of Dr. John Muscalus, the Whitman Philadelphia show and auction, and the Numismatourist's new web site.

To learn more about  the enigmatic Charles Town Social Club medal, coin mutilation laws, Dick Johnson's "Bucket List" and wishing trees,  read on.
Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
 Numismatic Bibliomania Society

THE JANUARY 2012 KOLBE & FANNING NEW YORK BOOK SALE

George Kolbe forwarded this announcement regarding the 20122 New York Kolbe & Fanning numismatic literature sale.
-Editor

Final preparations are being made for the January 7, 2012 Public Auction Sale of Rare and Important Numismatic Works scheduled to take place in New York City at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in conjunction with the New York International Numismatic Convention (NYINC).

	The sale already features rarities galore, including:

• A pleasing example of the first edition of the first printed numismatic book, Guillaume Budé’s landmark 1514 De Asse et Partibus Eius, devoted to ancient coins and their metrology

• An original inventory of the entire Colonel E.H.R. Green Coin Collection, one of only two known

• A complete three-volume set of Original Photographs of the Colonel E.H.R. Green Collection of Quarter Eagles, Half Eagles & Eagles, also one of only two complete sets known

• An exceptional, complete Set of Visconti & Mongez’s very rare 1808–26 Iconographie grecque et romaine, as published and originally bound in seven volumes. Over two feet in height and nearly 20 inches wide, these immense tomes weigh a total of 115 pounds (52 kg) and feature 130 finely engraved plates in monumental format, most featuring numismatic images.

• A remarkable 1890 Bureau of Engraving & Printing Vignette Book, perhaps from the library of President Benjamin Harrison, weighing 9 lbs, measuring 10 by 8.5 by 4 inches, and superbly bound in blue full morocco, featuring over 220 superb BEP steel-engraved portrait and vignette plates

• A series of detailed notebooks describing and depicting George Perkin’s various collections of American colonial coins, including his remarkable collection of Connecticut Coppers

• Twenty-three classic Samuel Hudson and Henry Chapman American auction sale catalogues with original photographic plates, generally in excellent condition

Time is running short and those interested in consigning outstanding works to the sale are advised to contact Kolbe & Fanning before the end of September. David Fanning: Tel (614) 414-0855, df at numislit.com; George Kolbe: (909) 338-0855, gfk at numislit.com.

A BRIEF REPORT ON KOLBE & FANNING SALE 122 HIGHLIGHTS

George Kolbe forwarded this note on highlights of the recent Kolbe & Fanning numismatic literature sale #122.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers are pleased to report that the market for key rare and out-of-print numismatic works remains strong. The prices realized list for their just-concluded September 15, 2011 sale is available at www.numislit.com.

Ten sale highlights follow:

• Georges Le Rider’s copy of an original four-volume set of Svoronos on the coins of the Ptolemies brought $2990 on a $1500 estimate (the prices realized include the 15% buyer premium)

• George Perkins’s original copy of Henry Chapman’s 1912 George H. Earle sale with plates was estimated at $1800 and sold for $2645

• The first 47 volumes of Spink & Son’s Monthly Numismatic Circular, 1892–1939 complete, was estimated to realize $2,300 and brought $2415

• A fine original set of Tolstoï’s Monnaies Byzantines garnered a winning bid of $2,185 on an estimate of $1500

• A set of Hahn’s Moneta Imperii Byzantini, complete with the late Roman volume, realized $1092 and was estimated at $900

• Official copies of Leonard Holland’s 1959 Pennypacker large cent sale documentation were avidly sought after, the $1000 estimate being topped by a $1495 total

• An attractive, finely bound, original set of the Vidal Quadras y Ramón Collection, estimated at $1200, brought $1610

• A nine-volume set of the American Numismatic Society’s Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum  volumes secured $1437 though estimated at $900

• A nice run of 85 early Stack’s auction sale catalogues, 1935–1952, estimated at $1500, sold well at $2070

• And a significant group of Hans Schulman auction sale catalogues realized $1955 on a $1000 estimate

A few printed catalogues are still available and may be obtained by sending $10 to: KOLBE & FANNING NUMISMATIC BOOKSELLERS LLC, 141 W JOHNSTOWN ROAD, GAHANNA OH 43230-2700. For the next few weeks, the catalogue will also be accessible on the Kolbe & Fanning website at www.numislit.com.

NEW BOOK: A FORGOTTEN NICKEL

Last week I discussed a couple articles seen in recent numismatic periodicals.  I wanted to also say something about Jeff Reichenberger's nice article in The Numismatist, done in collaboration with Eric Newman.   As it turns out, Jeff forwarded this note, making available a monograph which expands on that article.
Great idea!
-Editor

I have self-published a monograph entitled, "A Forgotten Nickel... and its companions" . With the incomparable contributions of Eric P. Newman, it is a study of the three 1913 Buffalo nickels that originally accompanied the five famous 1913 Liberty nickels. An article of the same name, which was derived from this monograph, is in the current (September 2011) issue of The Numismatist.

I've used the full manuscript for the monograph, which is considerably longer and more detailed, with source notes, coin descriptions, larger images, hypotheses, etc. It consists of twelve 8.5 x 11 pages folded and saddle-stitched in booklet form. I believe it may be of interest to Buffalo Nickel enthusiasts as well as those who can't get enough of the 1913 nickel saga, and it makes a nice companion to some of the source books listed. I'm asking $8 postpaid. Please send your request to:

jkreichenberger at hotmail.com

All the photos I took for the project are available for authors or researchers for the asking, courtesy of Eric and myself. Contact me if you are interested.

Many thanks to Jeff and Eric for making these images available.  I'm glad to see the monograph is being published, and encourage all U.S. numismatists to get a copy for their libraries.  It will be a great companion to that enjoyable book, Million Dollar Nickels.
-Editor

NEW BOOK: STANDARD CATALOG OF UNITED STATES PAPER MONEY, 30TH EDITION

This week Krause Publications announced the availability of a new edition of the Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money..
-Editor

Krause Publications has released the 30th edition of the Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money.

Authored by George S. Cuhaj and Bill Brandimore, the book is packed with 750 color photos of notes and more than 10,000 listings for U.S. paper money issued between 1812 and the present. Among the notes represented in this book are:

Large and small currency

Silver and gold certificates

National bank notes by state

Pre-Civil War Treasury notes

Fractional currency and military payment certificates

Encased postage stamps

For more information visit

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum