The E-Sylum v15#14 April 1, 2012

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Sun Apr 1 19:04:02 PDT 2012

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 14, April 1, 2012
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM APRIL 1, 2012
<#a01>
**
THE E-SYLUM : HOW MANY ISSUES?
<#a02>
**
MORE ON NBS COFOUNDER JACK COLLINS
<#a03>
**
STEPHEN L. PELLEGRINI
<#a04>
**
URUGUAYAN NUMISMATIC PUBLICATION EL SITIO NO. 2 AVAILABLE
<#a05>
**
ANA TO NAME NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
<#a06>
**
ANA NUMISMATIC THEATRE LINEUP FOR 2012 DENVER SHOW
<#a07>
**
THE PROPOSED U.S MINT AT THE DALLES, OREGON
<#a08>
**
QUIZ ANSWER: THE HARTE-TWAIN NUMISMATIC CONNECTION
<#a09>
**
19TH CENTURY U.S. PORTRAIT IDENTIFICATIONS PROPOSED
<#a10>
**
MORE ON THE SPANGENBERGER 1876 CENTENNIAL COLLECTION
<#a11>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: APRIL 1, 2012
<#a12>
**
QUERY: CAMBODIAN COIN AUCTION CITATIONS SOUGHT
<#a13>
**
QUERY: PORTRAIT VIGNETTES SOUGHT FOR FRACTIONAL CURRENCY BOOK
<#a14>
**
QUERY: SCHULMAN MEDALLIC HISTORY OF MONEY AND BANKING
<#a15>
**
QUERY: LINCOLN MEDAL ORIGIN SOUGHT
<#a16>
**
EXHIBIT: THE NEW MEDALLISTS
<#a17>
**
FRELINGHUYSEN STAMP COLLECTION BRINGS RARITIES TO MARKET
<#a18>
**
FERN BAR FOUNDER'S ORIGINAL  TIFFANY LAMPS BEING SOLD
<#a19>
**
ARTICLE HIGHLIGHTS PHOENIX “PHX BUX” COINS
<#a20>
**
CANADA TO ELIMINATE THE CENT
<#a21>
**
DICK JOHNSON: CANADA ABOLISHES CENT
<#a22>
**
A REVIVED EAST INDIA COMPANY STRIKES COINS
<#a23>
**
FAMILY HOLDS RECORD FOR VICTORIA CROSS AWARDS
<#a24>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: THE BRITISH ART MEDAL SOCIETY
<#a25>

Click here to read this issue on the web

To comment or submit articles, reply to
whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM APRIL 1, 2012

New subscribers this week include
Peter Burnside.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,525 email subscribers, plus 174 followers on Facebook.

This week we open with some statistics on The E-Sylum, some background on NBS cofounder Jack Collins, and belated word of the passing of an E-Sylum subscriber and contributor.

Other topics include: CANADA ABOLISHES CENT, the proposed U.S. Mint at The Dalles, OR, portrait vignettes, Cambodian coins at auction, and Schulman's Medallic History of Money and Banking.

To learn more about new varieties of Uruguayan coins and banknotes, the new ANA Executive Director, a medal exhibit at the Victoria and Albert museum, “Phx Bux” coins and paranormal coins and currency, read on.  Don't worry, be happy!
Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
(whomren at gmail.com)
 Numismatic Bibliomania Society

THE E-SYLUM : HOW MANY ISSUES?

Bob Julian writes:

Why not also list (in addition to volume and number) the cumulative number of issues of The E-Sylum? It has to be a rather impressive number by now.

Good idea!  Bob's note prompted me to run some numbers.  From our inception on September 4, 1998 through last week (March 25, 2012) there have been a total of 712 issues.    This includes a few special issues sent midweek with time-sensitive information.  But for the most part we've published on a regular weekly basis for going on fourteen years.   Early issues had just a handful of articles but this measure grew over time to an average of twenty.

Our total article count to date is a whopping 14,374, all archived on the NBS web site.   This should make clear what I've often said over the years - we're not just publishing a weekly newsletter, we're building a web site.    It should now also be clear why I make it a point to quote extensive passages from other web sites and store copies of all the images in our own archive - web content often moves or vanishes over time, but our E-Sylum archive has remained intact.  Links may grow stale, but the content we published ourselves has been preserved.

None of this could have happened so smoothly without the support of our webmaster Bruce Perdue and John Nebel, who has provided web site hosting gratis for NBS since our web site's inception.   Not only that, John did the computer programming required to automate the population of the E-Sylum archive - every Sunday night Bruce uploads the complete E-Sylum issue to the site, and in the wee hours of the morning John's scripts kick in and split the issue into individual article pages, update the tables of contents and create our RSS feed, like obedient little robots.

And I would be remiss not to thank NBS for their funding in late 2007 to pay for web designers and developers who helped spiff up the site and even more importantly, allowed us to make the leap from plain text to HTML in the weekly newsletter - that was like stepping into the Technicolor Land of Oz from the dreary black-and-white past.

If you haven't visited our archive lately, check it out.  Bruce and John have already implemented the changes Bob suggested.    And thus ends another article.  Thanks for sticking with us!

To access the E-Sylum archive, see:

www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

To read the complete E-Sylum Table of Contents, see:

www.coinbooks.org/esylum_toc.html

MORE ON NBS COFOUNDER JACK COLLINS

Regarding last week's question about the name of Numismatic Bibliomania Society cofounder Jack Collins, John Kleeberg provided these biographical notes.
-Editor

In his obituary of Jack Collins in The Asylum, George Kolbe summed Collins up well when he wrote that whereas some people march to the beat of a different drummer, Collins marched to the beat of a different orchestra.  Collins's real name was Charles Meredith Brainard, and he was born in 1939 in Detroit.  You will find confirmation of this detail at this link to the 1990 update of the genealogy of the Brainard family:

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum