The E-Sylum v15#10 March 4, 2012

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Sat Mar 3 20:02:56 PST 2012

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 10, March 4, 2012
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 4, 2012
<#a01>
**
LAKE BOOKS 110TH MAIL-BID SALE CLOSES MARCH 6, 2012
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: 2013 WORLD PAPER MONEY, MODERN ISSUES 1961-PRESENT
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: ANATOLIAN CITIES AND THEIR COINS
<#a04>
**
JOHN REICH JOURNAL INDEX AVAILABLE
<#a05>
**
CENTRAL STATES NUMISMATIC SOCIETY ANNOUNCES AUTHOR GRANTS
<#a06>
**
THAI NUMISMATIST LEE SHIN SONG
<#a07>
**
QUIZ ANSWER: ROBERT COULTON DAVIS
<#a08>
**
REVIEW: CAPPING LIBERTY EXHIBITION WEB SITE
<#a09>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 4, 2012
<#a10>
**
QUERY: WHY AREN'T COMMEMORATIVE COIN SURCHARGES TAX-DEDUCTIBLE?
<#a11>
**
1937 INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION OF ARTS AND TECHNOLOGY MEDAL
<#a12>
**
THE NEW YORK NUMISMATIC SCENE IN THE 1930S
<#a13>
**
THE MINT AT THE MESCAL MINE: COUNTERFEITING U.S. COINS
<#a14>
**
CONTEMPORARY COUNTERFEITS OF SEATED LIBERTY COINAGE
<#a15>
**
ARTICLE EXPLORES THREAT OF DOLLAR COIN COUNTERFEITING
<#a16>
**
A LIBERTY SEATED QUARTER COIN GLASS SAUCE DISH
<#a17>
**
FLEA MARKET FIND STORY: CONTINENTAL DOLLAR IN PEWTER
<#a18>
**
THE COLLECTION OF W.W.C. WILSON
<#a19>
**
TEDXLEEDS2012: ALTERNATIVE MONEY CONFERENCE
<#a20>
**
BANK OF ENGLAND'S LOW-SERIAL NUMBER BANKNOTES
<#a21>
**
THE 1933 DOUBLE EAGLE WORLD TOUR OPENS IN LONDON
<#a22>
**
LIBERIA'S DUAL CURRENCY SITUATION
<#a23>
**
'STAR-SPANGLED BANNER' COINS IN CHOCOLATE
<#a24>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: COINING TECHNOLOGY HERITAGE
<#a25>

Click here to read this issue on the web

To comment or submit articles, reply to
whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 4, 2012

New members this week include
Tom Casper and
James Gill.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,516 email subscribers, plus 174 followers on Facebook.

This issue is coming to you a day early, courtesy of your editor's Sunday travel.

This week we open with a note from Fred Lake, information on two new numismatic books, an index, and the CSNS author grants.

Other topics include Robert Coulton Davis, W.W.C. Wilson, the Capping Liberty exhibit, counterfeiting U.S. coins, alternative currency and the world tour of a 1933 Double Eagle.

To learn more about Thai numismatist Lee Shin Song, Hi Steinberg, Tom Elder's Super-Vegetables, Art Deco medals, the Mint at the Mescal mine, and where the Bank of England's low serial number notes go, read on.
Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
(whomren at gmail.com)
 Numismatic Bibliomania Society

LAKE BOOKS 110TH MAIL-BID SALE CLOSES MARCH 6, 2012

Fred Lake forwarded this reminder of his upcoming numismatic literature sale.
-Editor

This is to remind you that Lake Books' 110th mail-bid sale of numismatic literature closes on Tuesday March 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM (EST). The 482-lot sale features selections from the library of John R. (J.R.) Frankenfield who was a driving force in the Early American Coppers realm. Other consignors have contributed material that fills out the offerings to include reference works on Ancient Coinage, World Coinage, Paper Money, Tokens & Medals, Exonumia and some miscellaneous pieces. You may view the entire sale on our web site at
http://www.lakebooks.com/current.html and you may place your bids via email, fax or telephone until the closing time. Good Luck with your bidding !

Lake Books
6822 22nd Ave. N.
St. Petersburg, FL 33710
727-343-8055  Fax 727-345-3750

NEW BOOK: 2013 WORLD PAPER MONEY, MODERN ISSUES 1961-PRESENT

Krause Publications has announced the latest edition of the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues 1961-present.
-Editor

The new edition of the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues 1961-present, is now available from Krause Publications.

Edited by George Cuhaj, the 18th edition of this indispensable reference includes:

-19,750 variety listings of world bank notes.
-12,750 illustrated bank notes for easy identification.
--Current retail prices in two grades of condition.
--Country signature charts for specific variety identification.

A network of more than 80 international paper money collectors and dealers work with Cuhaj to ensure that the Standard Catalog is the most comprehensive resource available for the proper identification, description and valuation of modern world bank notes.

For more information visit:

www.shopnumismaster.com/product/2013-standard-catalog-of-world-paper-money-modern-issues-w7376/world-paper-money

NEW BOOK: ANATOLIAN CITIES AND THEIR COINS

A new book on Turkish coinage has been published.  I've adapted the following text from the seller's web site.
-Editor

Anatolian Cities and Their Coins Through History

The book was conceived as part of a project to present an outline of the social and cultural panorama of Anatolia and Turkish Thrace throughout history. The book is made up of cities and coins, presenting a selection of the coins minted in the cities of Anatolia and Turkish Thrace from the invention of coinage through to the founding of the Republic of Turkey. In preparing this selection, the whole of this 2,600-year continuing tradition of coinage, with all its numerous turning points, has been taken into account. Coins are not and never were, simply a means of payment: through the words and images pressed into their metal; they have always been documents highly reflective of the political, social, cultural, and religious life of their period, and with this book you will have the great opportunity to read the history of Anatolia and Turkish Thrace as it is expressed on coins.

Talking Coins - Anatolian Cities and Their Coins Through History / Konusan Paralar - Tarih Boyunca Anadolu Kentleri ve Sikkeleri