The E-Sylum v15#48 November 18, 2012

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Sun Nov 18 18:59:52 PST 2012

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 15, Number 48, November 18, 2012
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM NOVEMBER 18, 2012
<#a01>
**
THE ASYLUM JULY-SEPTEMBER 2012 ISSUE HAS BEEN PUBLISHED
<#a02>
**
NBS WEB SITE BIBLIOGRAPHY IMPROVEMENTS
<#a03>
**
SMITH'S AMERICAN NUMISMATIC BIOGRAPHIES UPDATED
<#a04>
**
KOLBE & FANNING HOLD WEEK-LONG “BLACK FRIDAY” SALE
<#a05>
**
NEW BOOK: NOTTINGHAMSHIRE VICTORIA CROSS HEROES
<#a06>
**
RUSSELL RULAU 1926-2012
<#a07>
**
RULAU'S AMERICAN TOKEN FINDER COLUMNS SOUGHT
<#a08>
**
THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ORDERS & MEDALS SOCIETY
<#a09>
**
MORE ON CONTEMPORARY COUNTERFEITS
<#a10>
**
GRIMASON'S THEORY ON THE 1776 CONTINENTAL CURRENCY COINAGE
<#a11>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: NOVEMBER 18, 2012
<#a12>
**
QUERY: REVIEWS OF BOOKS ON MINT AND COINS OF UKRAINE SOUGHT
<#a13>
**
QUERY: EVER HEARD OF THE 7 1/2 CENT "COCA COLA" COIN?
<#a14>
**
REJECTED COIN DESIGNS
<#a15>
**
WASHINGTON POST ARTICLE ON LOCAL CURRENCY
<#a16>
**
2013 PARIS AND MADRID ROUNDTABLES ON SMALL CHANGE
<#a17>
**
DAVE ALEXANDER'S SUPERSTORM SANDY DIARY
<#a18>
**
WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: NOVEMBER 18, 2012
<#a19>
**
QUERY: WILL 'SHIP OF GOLD' BECOME A FILM?
<#a20>
**
HOLABIRD-KAGIN AMERICANA DECEMBER 2012 AUCTION
<#a21>
**
BALDWIN'S 2013 NEW YORK SALE
<#a22>
**
NUMISMATIK LANZ AUCTION 155, DECEMBER 2012
<#a23>
**
DRAWER FIND: 1703 QUEEN ANNE VIGO FIVE GUINEA PIECE
<#a24>
**
EXPERTS DEBATE AUTHENTICITY OF COIN OF EMPEROR PROCULUS
<#a25>
**
SRI LANKAN-JAPAN COMMEMORATIVE COIN AVAILABLE ONLY IN JAPAN
<#a26>
**
MORE COIN-ONLY PARKING METERS DISAPPEAR
<#a27>
**
ON SPENDING DIRTY OLD BANKNOTES
<#a28>
**
THE WORLD'S LARGEST CHINESE CASH COIN
<#a29>
**
THE BIBLIO-MAT OLD BOOK VENDING MACHINE
<#a30>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: THE MYTH OF "VIGO"
<#a31>

Click here to read this issue on the web

To comment or submit articles, reply to
whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM NOVEMBER 18, 2012

New subscribers this week include
Ray Benzal.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,605 email subscribers, plus 199 followers on Facebook.

This week we open with word on the latest issue of The Asylum, updates on the NBS web site, and an announcement of a numismatic literature sale.   Next up is a new booklet on Victoria Cross heroes and remembrances following the passing of numismatic author Russ Rulau.

Other topics include contemporary counterfeits, alternative currencies, and coin auctions galore.
To learn more about exonumia, the Southern California Orders & Medals Society, V-2 Rocket testing, the 7 1/2 cent coin, poet William Butler Yeats' coin committee, the VIGO coinage, and the World's Largest Chinese Cash Coin, read on.
Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

THE ASYLUM JULY-SEPTEMBER 2012 ISSUE HAS BEEN PUBLISHED

David Yoon, Editor of our print journal writes:

Another issue of The Asylum is at the printers. Here are the contents:

Jeff Burke - My Introduction to Numismatic Literature at the 2010 ANA Summer Seminar

Thomas D. Harrison - Footprints in the Sands of Time

Myron Xenos - "You Don't Say": Numismatic Quarterly Quiz

Joel J. Orosz - The 2012 Annual Meeting of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society, Philadelphia

Elizabeth Hahn - Lots of Lots: NBS Symposium Panel Discussion on Auction Catalogs

As always, remember that while The E-Sylum is free to all, only paid members of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society receive our print journal, The Asylum.
There is a membership application available on the web site at:

www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html
.

To join, print the application and return it with your check to the address printed on the application. Membership is only $15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and $25 elsewhere. For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman,
Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society
P. O. Box 82
Littleton, NH 03561

-Editor

NBS WEB SITE BIBLIOGRAPHY IMPROVEMENTS

Tom Wetter has patiently been toiling away expanding and organizing the bibliography section of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society web site.  Thanks!  Here's his latest progress report on the effort, which began with publishing the NBS's survey of The One Hundred Greatest items of United States Numismatic Literature.
-Editor

When the Top 100 was originally put up on the Wiki, I wanted to get the information out there first, and then fiddle around in the background doing the real work of making it actually useful. A Wiki is not designed to be hierarchical and lists of items do not work well.

Every page in the U. S. portion of the site has now been rewritten and categorized, and the category listings are on the bottom of every page. Now, one page can belong to U. S. Quarters, Silver Coinage and also have an entry in the NBS Top 100 categories.   No longer are three separate index lists being maintained as the category pages are dynamic. This will greatly aid in the usability of the site as we continue to add information as things will be easier to locate and the site in general becomes more useful.

The location of the category page is not ideal and I am still trying to determine where to locate it, but in the interim, here is the direct link:

wiki.coinbooks.org/index.php/Category:United_States

This is looking great!    Check it out - browse through the site.   Tom's done a great job, and this is only the beginning.    Can you help with new information or images?  Several NBS members and E-Sylum readers have contributed, but anyone may have something to offer.   This is becoming a great resource for the hobby.
-Editor

To view the lists of The One Hundred Greatest items of United States Numismatic Literature, see:

wiki.coinbooks.org/index.php/The_One_Hundred_Greatest_Items_Of_United_States_Numismatic_Literature

SMITH'S AMERICAN NUMISMATIC BIOGRAPHIES UPDATED

Pete Smith, author of American Numismatic Biographies (ANB), has made a new 2012 edition of his book available on the NBS web site for review. Check it out! This is a wonderful resource for numismatic researchers.
Thanks are due to Pete for making it available, Martin Gengerke for file formatting assistance, and NBS webmaster Bruce Perdue for posting it.
-Editor

American Numismatic Biographies was first published in 1992 and included about 1400 biographies. Just 100 copies were printed so it had a very limited distribution.

The current draft of (ANB has been added to the NBS website and is now available to anyone. It now includes more than 1700 biographies of people who have made an important contribution to American numismatics.

One reason for posting this is to allow any of the subjects to review their listing and offer updates or corrections. Readers may also suggest additional names for inclusion. The address to send changes is at the bottom of every page of the listing.  NOTE:  the email address for responses has changed and anything sent to the old address in recent months was not delivered.

To access ANB, use the direct link below or

Go to the NBS website at www.coinbooks.com

Click on "Community Resources"

Click on the link anb_2012.pdf

At the top of the page is a box marked "Find" This may be used to search for any term or name. Names are in the format Last, First.

This is a work-in-progress covered by copyright protection. It may not be copied or distributed. The website will be updated periodically as the document is modified.

To view American Numismatic Biographies, see:

www.coinbooks.org/resources/anb_2012.pdf

KOLBE & FANNING HOLD WEEK-LONG “BLACK FRIDAY” SALE

David Fanning forwarded this notice about an upcoming sale.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers have announced that they will be holding a week-long “Black Friday” sale on their website at
www.numislit.com
. The sale will begin on Friday, Nov. 23 and last until Friday, Nov. 30. During that time, all items on the Kolbe & Fanning website will be available for 20% off the listed price. In addition, domestic orders will be shipped for a flat fee of $5 per order, regardless of the number of books included. (International shipments will continue to be billed at the actual cost.)

Kolbe & Fanning regularly add material to their ever-growing website, which features works on all aspects of numismatics. Items range in price from $5 to $2000 before the 20% discount. Nearly a thousand titles are available for immediate purchase.

Kolbe & Fanning’s website can be reached at

www.numislit.com
.

NEW BOOK: NOTTINGHAMSHIRE VICTORIA CROSS HEROES

Here's a new booklet about some Victoria Cross medal heroes.
-Editor

TWENTY Victoria Cross holders from Notts are commemorated in a new booklet.

A total of 1,300 booklets have been produced for the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Victoria Cross Committee.
Some have been sent to families of Victoria Cross holders in this country and abroad.

The rest will be available from libraries, including those at Bingham, Blidworth and Mansfield, or by contacting the committee.

Committee chairman Tony Higton said: "Different people have told these stories before but we have delved into their lives and pulled them together to make sure they are not forgotten."

Mr Higton, along with fellow committee member Ben Percival, of Ernest Smith stonemasons, and county council deputy leader Martin Suthers, unveiled a plaque to one of the soldiers featured in the booklet at St Mary's Church, Church Street, Bingham.

The booklet – paid for by Notts County Council – has been sent to families of VC holders for whom the committee has contacts.

To get a copy, visit www.nottinghamshire-victoria-cross-memorial.org.uk and select the "contact us" section.

To read the complete article, see:

Heroic tales of Victoria Cross holders revealed in bookle

(www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Heroic-tales-Victoria-Cross-holders-revealed/story-17308757-detail/story.html)

RUSSELL RULAU 1926-2012

On Monday I learned via George Cuhaj that token researcher and author Russ Rulau had passed away.  Here's his official obituary.
-Editor

Russell Alphonse Rulau, age 86, of Iola, died Monday, November 12th, 2012 at his residence. Born Sept. 21, 1926 at Chicago, Ill., and raised during the Depression in Milwaukee, Wis., he graduated with honors from Bay View High School in Jan. 1944. Being 17 and desirous of joining the Army, he took a job at a Cicero, IL defense plant until turning 18, then volunteered for Army service at Fort Sheridan, IL. After 17 weeks' infantry reconnaissance scout training at Camp Fannin, Texas, he was shipped to the Pacific theater and volunteered for airborne training, completing jump/glider school in Luzon and was assigned to 187th Infantry, 11th Airborne Division, serving therewith until July, 1947 on Luzon, Okinawa, Honshu and Hokkaido.
He often stated the high point of his service came July 30, 1945 when he was assigned to General Macarthur's arrival honor guard from among the first combat troops to reach Japan at Atsugi Field the evening before.

He reenlisted in 1947 and was assigned as an Army recruiting sergeant in Milwaukee, being discharged April 27, 1950. He joined the newly-formed USAF Reserve April 28, 1950 and was called to active duty for the Korean War Oct. 22, 1950, remaining with the Air Force until Dec. 17, 1962. Then he rejoined the Air Force Reserve through May 2, 1973, though he was not called for Vietnam War service. His rank was Master Sergeant.

The most important duties he performed in the Cold War Air Force was as Noncommissioned Officer in Charge of the Intelligence Message Branch of United States Air Forces Europe (USAFE) in Germany 1958-59 and as sergeant major of a combined Army-Navy-Air Force-Atomic Energy Commission nuclear unit in New Mexico during the Cuban missile crisis of October, 1962.

Though lacking formal education, he began a long career as writer-editor- author-consultant in the numismatic field beginning in December, 1962, rising from staff writer to full editor in just nine months with Amos Press, Sidney, Ohio. He joined Krause Publications as a newspaper editor in April 1974, taking early retirement August, 1984 and becoming a self-employed author and consultant. He was appointed in 1985 by England's Pobjoy Mint as vice president of U.S. sales operations, leaving this service in December, 1998. He received awards from Presidents Nixon, Reagan and Bush I, and from Governors Dreyfus and McCallum. In 1993 he was awarded the Clemy, highest honor of the Numismatic Literary Guild; was made a Fellow of the American Numismatic Society, New York in 1999, and was inducted into the Numismatic Hall of Fame in Colorado Springs in 2000.

A Republican from age 15 onward, he served as Waupaca County GOP vice chairman 1977-79; chairman 1979-82; 3rd vice chairman of the Wisconsin GOP 1981-83.

The son of Alphonse Rulau and Ruth Terine Thorsen, he married Darlene Grizzell on Feb 1, 1968 in Sidney, Ohio. She preceded him in death in 2008. He is survived by nine children, 20 grandchildren and four great-grand children. Darlene died in 2008. He was a life member of the VFW and commander of its Iola post for eight terms, Also active in the American Legion, 11th Airborne Division Association and 187th RCT (Rakkasans) association. His favorite charities were the Salvation Army and a Russian couple he hosted in the U.S.A. in 1992.

He has long been considered the number one token authority in the United States and Latin America and has written extensively on all numismatic subjects from ancient times to the present, with 17 books to his credit. In early 2006 he began a new career path with Krause Publications, authoring an Internet catalog of all U.S. tokens from 1700 through 1900.

A Memorial Service will be held at Our Savior's Lutheran Church in Iola at 11:30 am on Friday, November 16th, with Reverend Dennis Olson officiating. Memorial Visitation will be held Friday 10:30 am - 11:30 am. at the church. Interment of Cremains with full Military Rites will be in the Central Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery in King, Wisconsin.
Register Book and online condolences may be sent by visiting www.voiefuneralhome.com

To read the complete obituary, see:

Russell Alphonse Rulau

(www.voiefuneralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1816255&fh_id=12037)

Clifford Mishler provided the following remembrance of Russ.  Thanks!
-Editor

My interactions with Russ Rulau date back through roughly 50 years. My recollection is that our first contact probably came at Riverside, California, back in February of 1962.
The occasion would have been a gathering of the then Southern California Exonumist Society, hosted at the historic Mission Inn in that city, which I availed myself of while on a driving tour through the southwest and the west coast.
Over the next couple years we exchanged letters on several occasions, next meeting over lunch at a 1963 late winter coin show in Cleveland.

We were both possessed of deep involvements in the then emerging blossoming enthusiasm for collecting in the exonumia realm. Our Cleveland meeting was occasioned by his desire to divest himself of editorship of the Journal of the Token and Medal Society, given his recent acceptance of a staff writer position at Coin World. That meeting turned out to be roughly coincident in timing with my having committed to taking up a similar position with Numismatic News. Ultimately, editorship of the Journal passed from Russ into the hands of Alfred Hock that fall, who held the position for roughly a year, with me picking it up in the fall of 1964 and holding it through 1968.

The ten years that passed between our 1963 meeting and Russ’ joining the Krause Publications staff in early 1974 found us frequently crossing paths on the numismatic trail as a consequence of our professional travels, including ongoing interaction where our mutual interests where the welfare of the exonumia field and the Token and Medal Society were concerned. For his part, Russ was the father of the term exonumist; combining the meaning of “exo” -- “without or outside” -- and the abbreviation “numis” for numismatics, thus “outside the usual or conventional phases of numismatic activity.” I on the other hand was among the 13 enthusiasts met in Detroit on November 19, 1960, of whom only Dave Bowers, Tom Fruit and myself survive, to give birth to the organization today known as the Token and Medal Society.

In 1974 Russ joined the Krause staff as editor of the recently launched World Coin News. He played an integral role in the development and growth of the publication and related world coin reference works released over the next ten years. Leaving the company to become a self-employed author and consultant in the numismatic field in the summer of 1984, in 1985 he began 13 year association with the Pobjoy Mint in a sales and marketing capacity for the United States. Having retired from the Pobjoy post at the end of 1998, since then much of his time was again spent in pursuit of authorship and consulting tasks, with our paths crossing frequently at the company and around Iola until recent years.

Russ was a widely recognized researcher, cataloger and author in the U.S. and Latin American token realms, having authored a variety of articles and many references, some in several editions, for Krause Publications, culminating with publication of the Standard Catalog of United States Tokens, embracing three centuries from colonial times to the close of the 19th century, released in several editions over the years. Less well recognized is the fact that he was a motivational force behind the development of the Coin of The Year program conducted annually by Krause Publications, for which the first awards embraced the issues of 1982 which were presented in 1984 after he had separated from the company.

I personally found Russ to be a most interesting and intense individual. He possessed a very high degree of certainty and assurance, sometimes to a fault. This often tended turned people off. What one could always expect from him, however, was a commitment to delivering the goods as he was able to devolve them given the available resources. Possessing a militaristic bent, he was always prepared to defend with apt reasoning his or the company’s positions against all comers. This also came through in Russ’ political and fiscal persuasions, he being a conservative Republican and precious metals advocate of the highest order.

Always boiling beneath the surface was a driving conviction, I would say, to contribute as best he might towards the well-being of our hobby community, the country and mankind.

I will miss what had become increasingly infrequent interactions with Russ in more recent years as our paths diverged and his health declined.

Dave Harper of Numismatic News published a remembrance as well.  Here's an excerpt.  The image of Rulau that I paired above with his obituary is taken from this article.
-Editor

He liked to be able to earn a living in the field that he had first fallen in love with in 1939, the year he turned 13. But World War II interrupted and rerouted his life as it did those of millions of others. His time in the military stretched on for nearly 20 years before he got the chance to earn a living in numismatics when he joined the staff of Coin World at the end of 1962. That made him a competitor of Numismatic News. But more importantly it made him a professional in the field that he had always loved. He got paid for it.

I learned quickly that he was proud of the fact that he had invented the word “exonumia” to label the collecting of non-coin and non-paper money items like medals, tokens and wooden nickels, but his major contribution to numismatics occurred in the world coin field where he was editor of two important periodicals. The first was World Coins magazine that he started and headed 1964-1974. He ceased being a competitor and joined up with Krause Publications to help get World Coin News started properly in 1974.

To read the complete article, see:

Rulau happy to go where hobby led

(www.numismaticnews.net/article/rulau-happy-to-go-where-hobby-led)

RULAU'S AMERICAN TOKEN FINDER COLUMNS SOUGHT

Token and Medal Society President John Mutch writes:

With the passing of Russell Rulau, I am reminded of a project I have wanted to pursue.  He wrote a series in Coin World called "The American Token Finder" - sections that I am aware of were in the early 1970s.  I don't believe that much of the information he presented ended up in his United States Tokens book.  I am wondering whether any E-Sylum readers know of a clipping file of the entire series that could be borrowed?

Great question.  Lots of great research published in periodicals gets forgotten over the years due to the difficulty in reassembling the material.  Can anyone help?
-Editor

THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ORDERS & MEDALS SOCIETY

Frank Draskovic, President of the Southern California Orders & Medals Society (SOCALOMS) writes:

As you've been publishing so much great stuff on medals, I'd like to ask permission to copy and re-publish the occasional article on medals in our monthly newsletter (actually the monthly medal meeting reminder) of the Southern California Orders & Medals Society. We're a small, but old...now over fifty years in existence...group who have been meeting regularly each month in the Los Angeles area (we think possibly longer than any other medal society) to talk about and exhibit worldwide Orders, Decorations & Medals...ODMs, i.e., mostly portable (wearable) medals, and of those mostly military, but increasingly table medals too as we seek new members to keep the group viable in the internet age and for reasons of attrition.

We always meet on the last Sunday of each month from 12 noon to about 3 or 4pm at an attractive venue at a golf country club in a Los Angeles area suburb and everyone has a fine time.

I'd like extend an invitation on our behalf to any Los Angeles area medal collector who might like to attend a meeting to check out our activities (several drive from San Diego each month and have doing so for many years). All we ask is that a guest contact us first so we know who's walking in the door and they can do that by emailing me at

Clubs are always welcome to republish E-Sylum material with attribution, such as "from the November 18, 2012 issue of The E-Sylum, a weekly newsletter published by the Numismatic Bibliomania Society (www.coinbooks.org)".

Sounds like a fun club - I've never lived in a town with a club dedicated to Orders & Medals.
E-Sylum are encouraged to visit.
-Editor

For more information about SOCALOMS, see:

home.earthlink.net/~socaloms/

MORE ON CONTEMPORARY COUNTERFEITS

Ralf Böpple of  Stuttgart, Germany submitted these thoughts spurred by Tom DeLorey's discussion of the nature of contemporary counterfeits.  Thanks!
-Editor

This is a good question and goes back to times when coins, or at least certain types of coins, were in circulation much longer than today. I don't think there is an official definition, but "contemporary counterfeit" usually is used to describe a coin as "counterfeit during the time in which this coin type was used as a means of payment, with the intention of passing it along as good money". It is opposed to the term "modern counterfeit", which is usually describing a production, usually but not necessarily of recent times, which has been made to fool collectors.

For obvious reasons, "contemporary counterfeits" have lost their importance nowadays with the predominance of fiat money. I don't know if fake paper money would be called "contemporary counterfeits" as well (it may well be in an hundred or so years down the road). Of course, counterfeits of circulating coins are still made - the British pound being a vivid example. A recent example of counterfeits being caused by metallic content would be the mid-1990s 10 pesos coins of Mexico. For a while, these coins were made bimetallic with a silver core, and people took out this central part and replaced it with a less valuable metal.

Of course, there were also counterfeits - and fantasy issues - of ancient coins made for collectors in medieval times. Admittedly, these items won't fit the above definition, which is not scientific by any means anyway.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

HOW CONTEMPORARY WERE 'CONTEMPORARY COUNTERFEITS'?

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v15n47a09.html)

GRIMASON'S THEORY ON THE 1776 CONTINENTAL CURRENCY COINAGE

Andrea Grimason has posed several questions about the origin and nature of the enigmatic 1776 Continental Currency coinage.  Last week Eric Newman noted that he and another researcher have been looking into this as well, and are planning to publish an article at some point.  Andrea offers the following summary of her theory for comment by E-Sylum readers.
-Editor

Here's what I think ..

Benjamin Franklin designed and made the original coins in secrecy at night at the Soho Mint in 1775 with the help of a select few of his most trusted and intelligent peers.

The original continental currency coins were a mathematical scientific experiment of sorts in hopes of preventing counterfeiters from counterfeiting coins each man contributing his specialized expertise.  Murdock invented gas lighting which enabled them to work at night others specialized in working with the makeup of metal compounds and silver plating small copper objects, etc.

They may have been originally intended as coinage but Franklin was unable to receive a loan of silver he was expecting from France and when it didn't come through he put the idea of a continential currency on the back burner and the examples they had made were presented to influential people perhaps the government officials for each state., members of Congress or grand masters of masonic lodges ....this I am not sure of at the moment it is one of the missing clues I am still looking for.

There was at least one coin made of copper (there may have been some in brass and perhaps tin that I am not sure about and I have not been able to find any facts to support it )

At least one copper coin was plated with silver but I don't think any were made of pure silver and again I have found no facts.

The newer looking coins struck in pewter and in a collar were made years later by example of the original coins.
The original coins were made before the bills were engraved. Elisha may have received one of the originals from Franklin, which is how he was able to engrave the paper bills.

One of the coins that was struck later in years may have been designed using the paper bills Elisha Gallaudet engraved which is why it says EG FECIT but again I have yet to find anything in support. But it makes a lot more sense than to assume Elisha redesigned the coin 5 times and struck 6000 copies without a mint and without anyone knowing they existed.

One theory is as good as any other in the absence of hard facts.
Not much is known for sure about the origins of these coins.  As Eric noted last week, "Answers to old problems are tough."   We may never have definitive answers, but it will be interesting to see our readers' thoughts on this, and any articles that ultimately get published to bring our numismatic knowledge up to date.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

RESEARCHERS STUDY THE 1776 CONTINENTAL CURRENCY COINAGE

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v15n47a22.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: NOVEMBER 18, 2012

 Walter H. Childs Biography Sought
Researcher Roger Burdette writes:

Does anyone have a copy of the Walter H. Childs coin auction catalog from Bowers & Merena, Aug 1999?   If so, can I get a copy of the multipage biography of Childs that is included?  I'll reimburse copying and postage fees.  Thanks.

I came up empty on this one - I have a shelf-full of B&M catalogs, but not this one.  Can anyone help?
-Editor

 Weinberg's November 2012 Baltimore Show Report