The E-Sylum v16#15 April 14, 2013

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Apr 14 20:27:21 PDT 2013

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 16, Number 15, April 14, 2013
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM APRIL 14, 2013
<#a01>
**
JOHN BURNS COIN SHOW SCHEDULE  APRIL-MAY 2013
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: U.S. SHELL CARDS 1867-1880
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: GUIDE BOOK OF CIVIL WAR TOKENS
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: COLLECTING WORLD COINS, 1901-PRESENT, 14TH EDITION
<#a05>
**
THE MARCH 2013 MONETA ISSUE HAS BEEN PUBLISHED
<#a06>
**
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE KARL GOETZ ORIGINAL DIES AND HUBS
<#a07>
**
COINWEEK ON E-SYLUM AND SWIATEK'S 1981 COMMEMORATIVE BOOK
<#a08>
**
QUERY: HARRY RAPP'S EXTENSION OF WOOD'S  COMMEMORATIVE BOOK
<#a09>
**
ARCHIVES INTERNATIONAL BANKNOTE AUCTION CLOSES APRIL 16, 2013
<#a10>
**
THE  NEW BEDFORD HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY WHALE MEDAL
<#a11>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: APRIL 14, 2013
<#a12>
**
THE TREASURY DEPARTMENT'S 1893 COLUMBIAN EXPOSITION EXHIBITS
<#a13>
**
ODIUM NUMISMATICA: CONTEMPORARY POLITICS IN NUMISMATICS
<#a14>
**
WATCH FOBS AS NUMISMATIC ITEMS
<#a15>
**
SYLVESTER SAGE CROSBY’S PERSEVERANCE PREVAILS
<#a16>
**
ERIC NEWMAN’S 1866 FIVE CENT LINCOLN JUDD-487 PATTERN
<#a17>
**
QUERY: NEW ORLEANS MINT SILVER DOLLAR RECEIPT INFO SOUGHT
<#a18>
**
1906-D DOUBLE EAGLE STRUCK BY DAVID H. MOFFAT
<#a19>
**
WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: APRIL 14, 2013
<#a20>
**
THE HARVEY STACK INGOT COLLECTION
<#a21>
**
THE BITCOIN BUBBLE
<#a22>
**
1640 BAY PSALM BOOK TO BE AUCTIONED
<#a23>
**
JAMES JOYCE COIN QUOTATION ERROR
<#a24>
**
LATVIA'S WRITER-THEMED COIN DESIGNS
<#a25>
**
THE 500 EURO ‘BIN LADEN’ BANKNOTE
<#a26>
**
ARTICLE COVERS PALESTINE CURRENCY BOARD NOTE SALE
<#a27>
**
THE FUNDAMENTAL UNITS: BIG PHOTOS OF LITTLE COINS
<#a28>
**
VIDEO DISCUSSES ELIMINATION OF THE CANADIAN NICKEL
<#a29>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: CIVIL WAR TOKEN SOCIETY
<#a30>

Click here to read this issue on the web

To comment or submit articles, reply to
whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM APRIL 14, 2013

First, Happy Birthday to my sweet and talented daughter Hannah, who turned nine today.   New subscribers this week include
Ray Lockwood.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,643 email subscribers, plus 224 followers on Facebook.

This week we open with a note from literature dealer John Burns on his upcoming coin show schedule, and three new books.
Other topics this week include the Karl Goetz dies, Harry Rapp's book on U.S. commemoratives, the Treasury Department's Columbian Exposition exhibits, (and I never thought I'd write this) the Winklevoss twins.

To learn more about the Thomas Edison of Canada, a banknote payable in gold dust, the Schwaab fob, the New Bedford Horticultural Society medal and Odium Numismatica, read on.   Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

JOHN BURNS COIN SHOW SCHEDULE  APRIL-MAY 2013

Numismatic literature dealer John Burns is a fixture at many coin shows around the U.S.  He forwarded his latest itinerary.
-Editor

John H. Burns will be on an EPIC book selling jaunt as follows:

April 18-21 Chicago International Coin Fair,   Rosemont IL
April 24-27 Central States,                              Schaumberg IL
May 2-5     Early American Coppers,              Newark OH
May 9-11   Pa. Association of Numismatists, Monroeville PA
May 16-18 Garden States,                             Somerset NJ

3000 Pounds of numismatic literature (as certified by the Philly union at last year's ANA)!!!!   Visit, talk and hopefully buy some and I'll show up at the next shows.
Nos morituri te salutant.

NEW BOOK: U.S. SHELL CARDS 1867-1880

Dave Bowers forwarded this update on his upcoming book on U.S. Shell Cards.  Thanks!
-Editor

I am putting the finishing touches on my manuscript for a new book, U.S. Shell Cards 1867-1880. These are advertising tokens, often with a coin motif on one side and a commercial message on the other, that fit neatly into the post-Civil War era. Although scattered features about them have appeared in the TAMS Journal and elsewhere, this is the first book-length study and the only study that delves into how they were made and distributed.

As of the last counting there are 1,658 pictures, including full color images of over 700 different varieties, plus 108,582 words. I am now working on rarity ratings and
a schedule of estimated values. If a reader has one or more shell cards, Dave would be pleased to hear from you. Ditto for any information about purchase prices and valuations, except for the recent sales by Stack’s Bowers Galleries.

The late Steve Tanenbaum quipped, “A common shell card is one for which two are known!” Indeed, many are unique. The largest institutional collection is that of the American Numismatic Society, comprising slightly over 100 different. The Society has cooperated in the project and has provided many images.

As this will be a specialized book in the token field, Dave adds that if a suitable publisher is found, he will give a grant or subsidy so that the book can be a quality production in full color, on fine paper, and, equally important to him, bear a price that is affordable.

Dave can be reached by e-mail at qdbarchive at metrocast.net or by regular mail at Box 539, Wolfeboro Falls, NH 03896

NEW BOOK: GUIDE BOOK OF CIVIL WAR TOKENS

The shell card book isn't the only book Dave Bowers has in the works.  Here's an article from his Stacks-Bowers blog on his upcoming  Guide Book of Civil War Tokens.
-Editor

I have been interested in Civil War tokens for a long time. My fascination with them dates back to the 1950s when I first learned about them and set about buying examples. I soon met Dr. George Fuld, who at the time was with MIT in Massachusetts. From George I bought several thousand duplicates, a trading stock, most of which were soon offered for sale by Empire Coin Company, which I conducted in partnership with Jim Ruddy.

Fast forward to more recent times, today the Civil War Token Society (check the Internet) publishes the Civil War Token Journal with advertisements, historical articles, research findings and more. Believe it or not the annual membership fee is just $15, for which you get four copies of the journal.

Scheduled for release in mid summer is the Guide Book of Civil War Tokens, to be published by Whitman. I researched and wrote this, completing it last year. This will describe hundreds of different token issuers and illustrate different dies.

Today in 2013, Civil War tokens offer many interesting opportunities. Great rarities -- tokens for which fewer than a dozen are known -- can be purchased for a few hundred dollars each, sometimes even less! Compared to federal coinage, the field is relatively undiscovered. The number of active participants is probably in the low thousands.

Concerning Civil War tokens in general, these were mostly the size of contemporary one-cent pieces. Beginning in July 1862, when the outcome of the Civil War was uncertain, cents disappeared from circulation. Citizens preferred hard money to paper, and by that time gold and silver had long since been absent from commerce. Now, there was no federal money with which to buy a newspaper, get a haircut, or ride a horse-drawn streetcar. Stepping into the void were private individuals who commissioned cent-sized tokens to be struck, usually in copper, but sometimes in brass. Millions of these were soon in circulation and were widely used. Over 1,000 merchants issued them with their advertising and other inscriptions. In addition, large numbers of patriotic tokens were produced -- with flags, cannon, ships and other motifs.

To read the complete article, see:

>From The Desk Of Q. David Bowers: Civil War Tokens In The Spotlight

(stacksbowers.com/Blogs/from-desk-of-q-david-bowers-civil-war.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE
Buy the latest edition of must-have
coin reference books .
Click to shop.

NEW BOOK: COLLECTING WORLD COINS, 1901-PRESENT, 14TH EDITION

This week Krause Publications announced a new edition of  Collecting World Coins, 1901-Present.
-Editor