The E-Sylum v16#21 May 26, 2013

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun May 26 20:34:00 PDT 2013

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 16, Number 21, May 26, 2013
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MAY 26, 2013
<#a01>
**
NEW BOOK: CANADIAN COINS VOLUME 2: COLLECTOR & MAPLE LEAF ISSUES
<#a02>
**
NEW PERIODICAL: REVUE NUMISMATIQUE ASIATIQUE
<#a03>
**
BOOK: U.S. COIN & COLUMBIAN COIN PATTERN GLASS
<#a04>
**
SIAMESE COINS BOOK WINS IAPN PRIZE
<#a05>
**
SURVEY OF NUMISMATIC RESEARCH 2008-2013 SELECTION SOUGHT
<#a06>
**
RAYMOND N. MERENA 1937 - 2013
<#a07>
**
PRESIDENTIAL COIN & ANTIQUE AUCTION #83 CATALOG AVAILABLE
<#a08>
**
AN UPDATE ON MOULTON'S FRANKLIN HOARD BOOK
<#a09>
**
MORE ON THE "MODEL ARTIST'S" THEATER
<#a10>
**
MORE ON S. W. CHUBBUCK
<#a11>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MAY 26, 2013
<#a12>
**
HISTORY OF THE NATIONAL NUMISMATIC COLLECTION
<#a13>
**
KENNEDY MINT PLEADS GUILTY TO KILLING FISH
<#a14>
**
1862 RECTORTOWN, VA SCRIP NOTE ON RECYCLED BANK CHECK
<#a15>
**
HARVEY STACK ON CATALOGING 1954 LARGE CENT SALES
<#a16>
**
MICRO-MEN ON HOBO NICKELS
<#a17>
**
ANCIENT COIN COULD REWRITE AUSTRALIAN HISTORY
<#a18>
**
LEGAL WARNINGS ON FLAWED JAMES JOYCE COIN
<#a19>
**
DIGITIZING THE VATICAN LIBRARY
<#a20>
**
URSULA KAMPMANN'S TURKEY DIARY, PART 5
<#a21>
**
NEW FRENCH REPUBLIC VALUES GOLD AND SILVER COINS
<#a22>
**
CRICKET COIN TOSS IDEA DISPUTED
<#a23>
**
FICTIONAL SHIPS ON COINS: FLYING DUTCHMAN AND THE PEQUOD
<#a24>
**
NEW EURO BANKNOTES PRESENT VENDING MACHINE PROBLEM
<#a25>
**
TECHNOLOGY REVIEW ARTICLE ON THE EVOLUTION OF BITCOINS
<#a26>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: HISTORY OF KOREAN COINAGE
<#a27>

Click here to read this issue on the web

To comment or submit articles, reply to
whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MAY 26, 2013

New subscribers this week include
Thijs Verspagen (Librarian of the GeldMuseum, Netherlands and Digital Library Numis webmaster), and
Karl Lamson.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,649 email subscribers, plus 234 followers on Facebook.

This week we open with new numismatic books & periodicals, and an old book on coin glass.
Other topics include the Franklin hoard book, S. W. Chubbuck, the National Numismatic Collection, the flawed James Joyce coin, and fictional ships on coins.

To learn more about Ray Merena, Micro-Men, Morse Code on paper scrip, the Holger Dombrowski Library, the coins of King Songjong, and numismatics, cyanide, and 30,893 dead fish, read on.   Have a great week, everyone (and don't forget the June 1st closing date of the Sklow numismatic literature sale)!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: CANADIAN COINS VOLUME 2: COLLECTOR & MAPLE LEAF ISSUES

A new edition of the Charleton catalog of Canadian Coins (Volume 2) by W. K. Cross has been published.
-Editor

The fourth edition of Canadian Coins, Volume 2, Collector and Maple Leaf Issues will be released May 31st, 2013, at the Toronto Coin Expo which will be held at the Toronto Reference Library. The new 464-page fourth edition is current to March 2013, with all new Mint issues. This 4-colour catalogue tracks all Mint and maple leaf issues from 1954 to the current releases.

A 16% increase in the page count from 400 in the third edition to 464 in the fourth was necessary to keep up with the more than 150 new issue (2012 and 2013) coins released by the Royal Canadian Mint. In keeping with the new issues over 150 full colour images have been added in the fourth edition.

All prices, specifications, designers’ and engravers’ information has been updated, affording the collector the opportunity to keep fully abreast of the current trend in NCLT and maple leaf issues.

Pricing tables have been established for the 5-cent through 50-cent proof sterling silver coins. Previously, they were listed in Volume One pricing tables, but due to their different composition (neither nickel nor multiply plated steel) they are distinct varieties in their own right and should not be grouped with CLT coinage.

A new section has been introduced on the Commemorative Canadian Coin, Token, or Medal Sets sold at the major coins shows held in Germany, Canada, the USA, and China. These sets are interesting from the standpoint that they contain a special medallion domiciled to the coin show at which they were introduced.

The fourth edition is a definite must for the collector tracking mint and bullion issues. Canadian Coins, Volume Two, Collector and Maple Leaf Issues can be purchased at the Toronto Coin Expo prior to its worldwide release on May 31 and June 1.

To read the complete press release, see:

Canadian Coins Vol 2 Collector & Maple Leaf Issues

(www.torontocoinexpo.ca/documents/Book%20Release%20-%20Canadian%20Coins%20Vol%202%20Collector%20&%20Maple%20Leaf%20Issues.pdf)

NEW PERIODICAL: REVUE NUMISMATIQUE ASIATIQUE

Craig Greenbaum of
Houston TX forwarded this notice of a new periodical on Asian numismatics.  Thanks!
-Editor

NEW PERIODICAL: Revue Numismatique Asiatique La Société de Numismatique Asiatique is a non-profit numismatic organization  comprised of collectors interested in coins, medals, tokens and paper money of  Asian countries from  India to the Far East.  The primary language of the publication is French but English articles are also published.

The membership fee is 32 Euros per year.  Members receive the Revue Numismatique Asiatique which is published quarterly.

Main Page:

https://sites.google.com/site/societedenumismatiqueasiatique/home

The Table of Contents for the 2012 issues can be seen here:

https://sites.google.com/site/societedenumismatiqueasiatique/revue

Subscription may be made by Paypal here:

https://sites.google.com/site/societedenumismatiqueasiatique/adhesion

Contact:

numis.asia at orange.fr

I asked Craig Greenbaum for more background, and he adds:

The person in charge of the Revue Numismatique is Francois Joyaux.  He collects Asian coins and has written quite a few articles in French periodicals about these coins.  He and some other collectors decided to establish a revue to make it easier to publish essays.  I met Francois  through the Zeno.ru website and we are now email buddies.

The Revue invites collectors to submit original articles for publication.  They can be in English but of course the membership is mostly French readers.  I collect mostly Vietnamese cast coins and I know Howard Daniel.  I travel to Vietnam and when our schedules coincide we meet together for a day in Ho Chi Minh City.

I might add that if anyone is interested, the National Diet Library of Japan has well over 200 Japanese coin books on line.  The books are in Japanese of course, but may have some value to collectors who specialize in Japanese coins.  The earliest book dates to the 1690's.  The URL is

http://dl.ndl.go.jp/#classic

They even have an old copy of the Chinese classic Quan Zhi by Zun Hong (1120-1174).  The book in the library dates to 1603.  The URL is

http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/2538845

If any readers are interested in more information about books available at the National Diet Library, please let me know.

BOOK: U.S. COIN & COLUMBIAN COIN PATTERN GLASS

Regarding last week's query about Coin Glass,
Don Bailey writes:

For several years Lois and I dealt in Early American Pattern Glass, dealing with the rare patterns,  including coin glass.  At one time or other we probably handled every piece. A good reference is "U.S. Coin Glass A Century of Mystery" by Tim Timmerman, 1992.   Tim is no longer with us.

Dave Ginsburg writes:

I recommend "US Coin & Columbian Coin Pattern Glass" by Tim Timmerman & Pete Rissell.   The copy I have is the second edition, dated 2004 and appears to have been privately published.

The book identifies genuine coin glass, describes the reproductions that were made in the 1960's and 1970's and provides a price guide.
 I don't know how widely the book is available, but coin dealer Numismatic Americana has copies for sale.

Thanks!  Here's the listing from Bill Shamhart's Numismatic Americana web site.
-Editor

Updated and expanded 2nd edition, 2004. Out of print.

A little known, and scarce book in its own right. This edition includes not only U. S. coin glass, but its lesser known sibling Columbian coin glass. Fully illustrated, with dimensions for every piece.

The history of these intriguing pieces, as well as the story of the late 20th century attempt to copy them, is told. A great little book easily carried to coin shows and antique shops alike. Quantities are limited.

Priced at: $45.00

To view the Numismatic Americana listing, see:

US Coin & Columbian Coin Pattern Glass by Tim Timmerman & Pete Rissell

(www.numismaticamericana.com/americana-offerings/u-s-coin-columbian-coin-pattern-glass-by-tim-timmerman-and-pete-rissell/#more-2098)

 THE BOOK BAZARRE
 Will Your Heirs Know What to Do With Your Collection?
Allow Beth Deisher to guide them with her expert advice. Your loved ones will avoid costly mistakes after reading Deisher’s Cash In Your Coins: Selling the Rare Coins You’ve Inherited. 288 full-color pages, only $9.95. Order a copy to keep with your collection—online at

Whitman.com or call 800-546-2995.

SIAMESE COINS BOOK WINS IAPN PRIZE

Howard Daniel forwarded this announcement of the winning book at this week's convention of the IAPN.  Thanks!
-Editor

Siamese Coins from Funan to the Fifth Reign by Ronachai Krisadaolarn and Vasilijs Mihailovs and published by Riverbooks  wins First Prize at the Leipzig Convention of The International Association of Professional Numismatists (or IAPN) winning more points than the other two publications

The results as reported by Jan Aamlid  are:

 3rd place: Rafael Tauler Fesser, Oro Macuquinoi Catalogo Imperio Espanol  1474  a 1756 1, 2, 4 y 8  (36 points)

2nd place: Italo Vecchi, Etruscan Coinage part I (56 points)

1st place: Siamese Coins from Funan to the Fifth Reign (124 points)

The International Association of Professional Numismatists (or IAPN),
founded in 1951, is a non-profit organisation of the leading international
numismatic firms. The objects of the Association are the development of a
healthy and prosperous numismatic trade conducted according to the highest
standards of business ethics and commercial practice.

The IAPN was constituted at a meeting held in Geneva in 1951 to which the
leading international numismatic firms had been invited. There were 28
founding members. The objectives of the Association are the development of a
healthy and prosperous numismatic trade conducted according to the highest
standards of business ethics and commercial practice, the encouragement of
scientific research and the propagation of numismatics, and the creation of
lasting and friendly relations amongst professional numismatists throughout
the world.

Membership is vested in numismatic firms, or in numismatic departments of
other commercial institution, and not in individuals. Today there are more
than 110 numismatic member firms, situated in five continents and twenty-one
countries. the General Assembly is the supreme organ of the Association, and
this is convened annually, normally in a different country.

For more information on IAPN, see:

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum