The E-Sylum v17#01 January 5, 2014

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jan 5 18:51:46 PST 2014

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 17, Number 01, January 5, 2014
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JANUARY 5, 2014
<#a01>
**
KOLBE & FANNING NEW YORK BOOK AUCTION SATURDAY JAN. 11
<#a02>
**
LAKE BOOKS NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE CLOSES FEBRUARY 4, 2014
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: HUNGARIAN TRANSPORTATION TOKENS
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: OTTOMAN EMPIRE & TURKISH REPUBLIC TOKENS
<#a05>
**
NEW BOOK: CATALOGUE OF BRAZILIAN TOKENS ADDENDUM
<#a06>
**
COIN BOARD NEWS WINTER 2014 ISSUE PUBLISHED
<#a07>
**
THE ADAM MERVIS LARGE CENT COLLECTION
<#a08>
**
HOWARD DANIEL ON BUILDING A NUMISMATIC LIBRARY
<#a09>
**
SOMETIMES YOU DON'T HAVE TO SEE THE COIN
<#a10>
**
ARTISTIC STYLE REVEALS MAKER OF SANSOM MEDAL RESTRIKE
<#a11>
**
AMSTERDAM'S ROYAL TROPICAL INSTITUTE LIBRARY CLOSES
<#a12>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JANUARY 5, 2014
<#a13>
**
STILL MORE ON THE SERIAL COMMA
<#a14>
**
STEVE D'IPPOLITO ON NOVODELS AND FANTASY PIECES
<#a15>
**
THOMAS SULLY'S INFLUENCE ON U.S. COINS AND CURRENCY
<#a16>
**
ADVENTURES IN PUBLISHING COIN BOOKS
<#a17>
**
THE 1763 CHARLESTOWN SOCIAL CLUB MEDAL
<#a18>
**
THE SYDNEY MINT MEDALLION OF 1901
<#a19>
**
ROBERT HEATH'S NEW ENGLAND MEDAL CATALOGS
<#a20>
**
THE DEERFIELD, MONTANA HORSE CAR TOKEN
<#a21>
**
KANKAKEE AND LYDIA, THE TATTOOED LADY
<#a22>
**
THE 1954 “DEVIL’S FACE” CANADIAN BANKNOTES
<#a23>
**
SCHWUNDGELD: THE DEPRESSION SCRIP OF WÖRGL, AUSTRIA
<#a24>
**
THE BIRTH OF THE GREENBACK
<#a25>
**
AN INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR WAYNE SAYLES
<#a26>
**
REVEALING THE LOST CODEX OF ARCHIMEDES
<#a27>
**
THE HOBO NICKEL CARVINGS OF PAOLO CURCIO
<#a28>
**
THE DESIGN OF MODERN BRITISH COINS
<#a29>
**
SELECTIONS FROM THE STACK'S BOWERS JANUARY 2014 NYINC AUCTION
<#a30>
**
PRIVATE SCHULZ INSPIRED BY OPERATION BERNHARD
<#a31>
**
WARREN COUNTY PA'S WINTERFEST 2014 COIN
<#a32>
**
TEENAGER FIRST AGAIN AT ROYAL AUSTRALIAN MINT IN 2014
<#a33>
**
THE AUSTRIAN MINT'S "PROSIT NEUJAHR" TOKENS
<#a34>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: WRONKER PRINTING MEDAL COLLECTION
<#a35>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to
whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JANUARY 5, 2014

New subscribers this week include
Dale Hallmark, courtesy of David Powell; and Werner Stensgard.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,680 email subscribers.

This week we open with updates from numismatic booksellers Kolbe & Fanning, and Lake Books, followed by three new numismatic books.
Other topics include building (and properly disposing of) a numismatic library, novodels and fantasy pieces, Thomas Sully's influence on U.S. coinage, and the Birth of the Greenback.

To learn more about the Tattooed Lady, the Queen's Hair-Devil, Schwundgeld, the elusive Deerfield, Montana horsecar token, Hungarian transportation tokens, the Wronker printing medal collection, and the lost codex of Archimedes,  read on.   Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

KOLBE & FANNING NEW YORK BOOK AUCTION SATURDAY JAN. 11

David Fanning forwarded this reminder of the upcoming Kolbe & Fanning numismatic literature sales.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers are holding their annual New York Book Auction this Saturday, January 11, beginning at 9:30 a.m. Eastern Time. The two-session public auction sale of rare and important numismatic literature is being held in conjunction with the 2014 New York International Numismatic Convention (NYINC) at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. Live online bidding will be available through

www.the-saleroom.com
.

During the first session, the firm will be offering selections from the remarkable library on Russian numismatics formed by Quentin Archer. The Archer library is especially strong in pre-Petrine material and in references on the coins and medals of Peter the Great, with some coverage of later periods. Highlights include works by Tolstoï, Fraehn, Giel, Ilyin, Chertkov, Koehne, Markov, Oreshnikov, Zubov, and the Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich. Archer's holdings of important auction catalogues and periodicals are also notable.

Beginning at noon, Kolbe & Fanning will be offering highlights from the outstanding and comprehensive library on ancient numismatics formed by New York coin dealer Herbert Kreindler. This part of the sale is being conducted in association with Fritz Rudolf Künker GmbH, of Osnabrück, Germany. The Kreindler library is well-known for its extensive nature, including original editions of virtually all of the key works on ancient Greek and Roman coins. His collections of classic auction catalogues and periodicals must also rank among the finest offered in recent years.

Printed catalogues were mailed in early December to active clients. PDFs of the two catalogues are available for downloading from the Kolbe & Fanning website at www.numislit.com. Live internet bidding is available through the-saleroom.com, on which site every lot is illustrated in color. As Kolbe & Fanning staff will be traveling to New York, absentee bids must be received in their Ohio office by Monday, January 6. To place absentee bids after that date, please email David Fanning at df at numislit.com or call him at (614) 256-8915. Absentee bids cannot be accepted on the day of the sale. For more information, see the Kolbe & Fanning website at www.numislit.com.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC
141 W. Johnstown Rd.
Gahanna, OH 43230
 (614) 414-0855
Cell (614) 256-8915
Fax (614) 414-0860
df at numislit.com
www.numislit.com

Members ANA, ANS, IAPN

LAKE BOOKS NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE CLOSES FEBRUARY 4, 2014

Fred Lake sent this notice about his February 4th, 2014 numismatic literature sale.
-Editor

Lake Books’ next mail-bid sale of numismatic literature has a closing date of February 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM (EST). The 469-lot offering has a fine selection of hardbound sale catalogs from major auction houses, scarce early plates from notable collections, wonderful Chinese numismatic reference material, works on paper money, tokens & medals, an especially long run of the hardbound renditions from George F. Kolbe, et al. You may view the catalog on our web site at

www.lakebooks.com/current.html.
Bids may be sent via US Mail, email, Fax, or telephone until the closing.

Good Luck with your bids, Fred

Lake Books
PMB 118
6822 22nd Ave. N
St. Petersburg, FL 33710-3918
727-343-8055  fax: 727-381-6822

NEW BOOK: HUNGARIAN TRANSPORTATION TOKENS

Yosef Sa'ar submitted this information on a new book on Hungarian transportation tokens.  Thanks!
-Editor

I recently received a fine book exactly in our field:   Zombori Lajos & Tóth József, "Magyar közlekedési bárcák" , Budapest, 2007, 237 pp. This book on Hungarian transportation tokens has eight chapters as well as an introduction in English and a Hungarian-English dictionary of important words that describe the tokens and legends.

The chapters are as follows: Introduction, Toll Bridge Tokens, Tunnel Tokens, Toll Road Tokens, Fare Tokens and Tickets, Transportation Deposit Tokens, Telephone Tokens and Bibliography. Almost every piece is illustrated with good black and white photographs. Highly recommended for anyone who includes Hungarian tokens in their collection.

NEW BOOK: OTTOMAN EMPIRE & TURKISH REPUBLIC TOKENS

Yosef Sa'ar also discovered this new book on eBay, about Ottoman Empire & Turkish Republic Tokens.  Thanks!
-Editor

Ottoman Empire & Turkish Republic Tokens
Number of printing : 300
 (bilingual : turkish/english)
130 gram premium paper
300 pages (148x210mm)
Full color
Soft Cover, Library Binding

For the first time ever, whole Ottoman Empire & Turkish Republic tokens in one catalogue.

2545 Tokens

2545 Photographes

Weight, size, material and rarity of each token

Transportation Tokens

Communication Tokens

Game Tokens

Shopping Tokens

Food & Beverage Tokens

Military Tokens

Prison Tokens

Community Tokens

(Jewish, Armenian, Muslim Communities)

Daily Wage Tokens

Newspaper Tokens

Miscellaneous Tokens

To read the complete eBay description, see:

NEW * Ottoman Empire & Turkish Republic Tokens Catalogue

(www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ottoman-Empire-Turkish-Republic-Tokens-Catalogue-/321150243395)

To visit the seller's web site, see:

Osmanlı İmparatorluğu ve Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Jetonları Kataloğu 2013

(www.osmanliparalari.com/Osmanli-Imparatorlugu-ve-Turkiye-Cumhuriyeti-Jetonlari-Katalogu-2013,PR-14847.html)

NEW BOOK: CATALOGUE OF BRAZILIAN TOKENS ADDENDUM

Alexandre de Barros forwarded this information about the new addendum to his catalogue of Brazilian tokens.
-Editor

General Catalogue of Brazilian Tokens, Addendum
 By Alexandre de Barros

An Addendum to the General Catalogue published in 2009 is now available to collectors and researchers of Brazilian tokens. The bilingual edition (Portuguese-English) is limited to 200 numbered and signed copies and contains more than 500 types. The book has 210 large-format pages. Most tokens are illustrated by colour photographs.

As in the original Catalogue, the descriptions of the tokens are accompanied by a table showing degrees of rarity and prices, in addition to annotations containing information about a large number of types.

The price of the book is $80.00 plus shipping . For additional information interested collectors should contact the author at

alexdebarros2 at gmail.com

COIN BOARD NEWS WINTER 2014 ISSUE PUBLISHED

Dave Lange published the Winter 2014 issue of his Coin Board News for collectors of antique coin boards.   Dave attached a photo of an interesting homemade Large Cent board.  I've never seen anything like this - neat!
-Editor

My latest book has been in print for a couple of months now, and the
reviews have been extremely gratifying. I was surprised that two reviews appeared very quickly on Amazon, and I
don’t know who the writers are. Despite nothing but praise for the book, sales have been a bit slow. This is
something I’ve been hearing from numismatic booksellers about all titles, so I’m not too concerned for now. The
book’s price does deter the casual buyer, but there’s really no substitute for the information presented, and the book
is by far the finest I’ve ever produced in terms of graphic quality.

Perhaps a few interested persons are waiting for
one of the discount houses to offer it at a lower price, but this is simply not going to happen. I’m the publisher and
sole source of this title. It may be purchased through my listings on Amazon and eBay, or you may order it from me
directly. Of course, this last option is preferable for me, as I don’t have to share any revenue with the big boys.

In an interesting side note, my ads for the new album book have resulted in more sales of the earlier coin board
book than I’ve had in a long while. My mailing list of board collectors and potential collectors has grown
considerably.

[An] interesting item I acquired for myself was a framed, homemade coin board for large cents that was evidently produced during the late 1930s. I’m attaching the eBay seller’s photo, and I’ve since re-pasted the fallen flag back into its correct position. With the glass given a thorough cleaning, this item really looks nice.

For more information, see:

www.coincollectingboards.com

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

LANGE'S COIN COLLECTOR BOARD BOOK ARRIVES

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v10n38a07.html)

NEW BOOK: THE NATIONAL COIN ALBUM AND RELATED PRODUCTS

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v16n41a04.html)

THE ADAM MERVIS LARGE CENT COLLECTION

Speaking of Large Cents, Heritage has an upcoming auction.  Here's their description of the Adam Mervis Large Cent Collection from their December 28, 2013 Coin News email newsletter.
-Editor

Heritage Auctions is proud to present The Adam Mervis Large Cent Collection, to be sold January 10 in conjunction with the Official Auction of the 2014 FUN Annual Convention.

Assembling a complete set of the 295 Sheldon-numbered varieties, with the nine additional sub-varieties, is among the greatest achievements of large cent collecting, a feat accomplished by only a handful of masters in the field. Adam Mervis accomplished that goal and then some.

Not only did Adam Mervis collect all the Sheldon varieties, including the legendary and extremely rare 1795 S-79 Reeded Edge cent, he also assembled a fine array of the Non-Collectibles as well, 39 coins representing 35 of the 53 NC varieties. How many collectors can claim to have owned two Strawberry Leaf cents at once? The Adam Mervis Large Cent Collection contains both the unique NC-2 variety and the second-finest NC-3, one of just three known examples. The 1794 NC-10, a Head of 1794 variety, is another unique piece within these pages. In fact, the 1794 large cents include every variety and sub-variety, both numbered and NC. This is only the third time that a complete set of the 69 coins has appeared in a single auction.

The Adam Mervis Large Cent Collection continues with a magnificent run of Middle Date and Large Date pieces, circulation and proof alike, including some of the rarest Newcomb varieties. Highlights here include the finest known 1818 N-4 Coronet cent, a Condition Census-worthy proof 1838 N-11 cent, and the finest of seven known 1849 N-25 cents. A handful of special error coins also are present, including a twice-struck 1798 S-149 cent that also happens to be Condition Census-worthy for the die pair.

To view the online catalog, see:

2014 January 10 The Adam Mervis Large Cent Collection FUN Signature Auction - Orlando  #1200

(coins.ha.com/common/auction/catalog.php?SaleNo=1200&ctrack=2765472)

HOWARD DANIEL ON BUILDING A NUMISMATIC LIBRARY

E-Sylum regular Howard A. Daniel III published a nice article in the January 13, 2014 issue of Coin World about building his numismatic library.  Here's an excerpt.
-Editor

I started collecting Southeast Asian numismatic pieces in 1964. Very few world numismatic references were available to buy back then. Even fewer were about Southeast Asia, and I bought them. I also bought non-Southeast Asian references with formats I liked, because I planned to someday start writing my own references.

While overseas in the Army, I kept little with me, especially during my six years in the Vietnam War. I mailed everything to my mother to store for me. I told her that all nonregistered mail was for her and all registered was for her to store for me. My time overseas and in the Vietnam War ended in January 1973.

I was a student/assistant instructor in an Army school when my wife, Phung, arrived in the United States in February. To give her something to do, I had all of my stuff stored at my mother’s home shipped to me. Phung could go through the contents and sort them down for me.

I graduated and was assigned to a research job in Reston, Va. I had bought a large used station wagon, but our stuff barely fit inside it when we drove off from Indiana.

We rented an apartment and went shopping for some furniture. Phung did not want us to go into debt, so we bought a sleep sofa. We used a large cardboard box for our dining table and sat on flattened boxes. Each month we bought one or two more pieces of furniture for cash. Two of them, eventually, were bookcases, which quickly filled up.

Later, I had an office desk and a third bookcase. One day I came home and a used IBM Selectric Typewriter was on a stand next to my desk. Phung told me, since I said I wanted to write my own references, let’s get started! Within two years, I self-published my first catalog in 100 copies. They sold so fast I forgot to keep one and had to buy one back!

I received emergency orders for Germany and while there, bought many more references in European languages, and published another catalog. During some missions in England, I had time in London before my return flight. At one bookstore, I opened a book and found the owner was an author in my library. I asked the bookstore owner how he obtained the book.

He told me that he heard a rumor about him passing away and he contacted his widow. She was about to trash his personal library because a local library refused it. He showed me several boxes of his books and I bought many of them. Those books are still very important references to me and they could have ended up in a dumpster!

After we arrived back in Virginia in early 1979, we had to buy a condo with an extra room for books. The condo cost more but it paid off in the future when we sold it. On Sunday afternoons, we visited used bookstores in the Washington, D.C., area. I found few books for myself but many for other numismatists at only 25 to 50 cents each. The people selling the numismatist’s libraries did not know their value and sold them to junk book dealers. In the numismatic book market, some were worth over $100 each.

Don't let your library end up in a dumpster or sold off for pennies on the dollar to some used book store.   The rest of Howard's article is about his plans for disposing of his library, and his good advice for the rest of us numismatic bibliophiles.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

A life in the U.S. Army helped in building numismatic library

(www.coinworld.com/articles/a-life-in-the-u-s-army-helped-in-building-num)

SOMETIMES YOU DON'T HAVE TO SEE THE COIN

Bob Van Arsdell submitted this update to the "sometimes you have to see the coin" discussion.  Thanks!
-Editor

When I wrote "Sometimes you have to see the coin", I forgot to give you the converse: "Sometimes you don't have to see the coin".

In fact, it's often impossible to see the coin. The simplest example I can give is when you're doing a die-link study. Rounding up all the recorded coins for the study is usually impossible - some of them may no longer even exist (destroyed during WWII for example). Die-link work is always done from photographs, to insist otherwise would prevent any work from even starting.

Does this matter in practical numismatic work? - you bet it does. John Sills, an eminent worker in the Ancient British series, did a die-link study of Gaulish gold staters. He noticed that one set of linked coins were only found in Britain. He argued convincingly that these were a British, not Gaulish issue - and identified the earliest known coins struck in Britain in the process.

I know for a fact that Sills never saw two of the coins - they were sitting here in the USA. But he exercised judgment, and decided that he could do the required study in a competent way, working just from photographs. He promptly published an important numismatic finding "without see the coin"....and he got it right.

You'll notice I didn't criticize Wayne Sayles for questioning the coin in Israel. I suspected he was using the converse of the rule. I think Sayles exercised excellent judgment in this case. He has reasonable cause to ask a question about the evidence. The people who presented the evidence should reasonably answer Sayles' question.

Does this matter? Again, you bet it does. Once something become "common knowledge", it's hard to keep the archaeological record straight.

I imagine you'll want the posting "Sometimes you HAVE the coin and doesn't make a bit of difference".

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO SEE THE COIN

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v16n52a10.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 29, 2013 : You Should Always See The Coin

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v16n53a09.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE
RENAISSANCE OF AMERICAN COINAGE:
Wizard Coin Supply is the official distributor
for Roger Burdette's three volume series that won
NLG Book of the Year awards for 2006, 2007 and 2008.
Contact us for dealer or distributor pricing at
www.WizardCoinSupply.com .

ARTISTIC STYLE REVEALS MAKER OF SANSOM MEDAL RESTRIKE

When looking at a coin or medal, what should you look for?  Tony Lopez submitted this article encouraging medal collectors to consider the artistic style as well as the standard numismatic touchpoints of die characteristics such as letter placement.  Thanks!
-Editor

I recently finished working on  an article on the 1776 Franklin American Beaver medal that was published in the December 2013 MCA Advisory.  In the process of examining all of the medals made by Joseph Sansom, I made an important discovery that I wanted to reveal which was too far outside the focus of my article to include there.

According to Rulau /Fuld in Medallic Portraits of Washington, The Joseph Sansom 1797 Washington Presidency Relinquished medal was first struck approximately 1807 (though possibly as early as 1805) with dies engraved by John Reich.  They state that due to the popularity of Washington medals, the medals were re-struck beginning in 1859 at the US Mint using the original obverse dies, and  replacement reverse dies.  (The popularity of Washington medals at the time is evidenced by the 1860 Washington Cabinet medal (Julian MT-23) showing the display of Washington medals at the US mint – with a wonderful depiction of tiny little Washington medals below a bust statue of Washington.)

On closer examination, the obverse on the restrikes is not struck from the original die.  Or an exact copy hubbed from the original die.  I am attaching two graphics. The first one shows the two obverses side by side original on the left, restrike on the right.  The arrows point to only some of the differences.

1) The first initial “G.” nearly touches the shoulder of Washington on the original; on the restrike there is a larger gap.

2) The periods after “PRES.” And “UNIT.” are slightly above the base of the lettering on the original; it is lined up with the base of the lettering on the restrike.

3) There is a larger gap between the  “STA.”. and Washington’s bust on the originals vs. the restrike.

4) The small top button of Washington’s vest touches or is slightly under Washington’s coat on the original; there is a gap between the same button and Washington’s coat on the restrike.

5) There is a noteworthy indentation in Washington’s hair (peruke) below the “O” of “WASHINGTON” on the original; the indentation is not as deep or sharp on the restrikes – and is positioned between the “O” and the “N”.

The second graphic is a transparent overlay of the original over the restrike.  The profile of Washington’s face  has been lined up on both.  You can see how the lettering is lined up completely different relative to the bust on the original and restrike.  Less obvious it is the fact that the two busts do not line up at the shoulder or chest, and the back of the hair line and ribbon does not line up.  The two busts are not accomplished using identical proportions and angles.  Clearly the restrikes are not struck with original dies, nor are they an exact copy of the original die.

As to the Reverse, Rulau/Fuld have already identified that the “Q “after “RELIQ.” is closer to line of the ground below the pedestal on originals.  Earlier, in Julian’s Medals of the United States Mint, Julian stated that “Although Witham points out a sure way of determining an original from a restrike (recutting of the figure 9 in the date 1797) it has been traditional, though less exact, to determine the difference by the distance of the Q in RELIQ from the pedestal; on the original it is closer.”

I don’t necessarily agree with Julian on this point; in fact it is much easier to see the distance of the Q from the line of the ground (not the pedestal as stated) with the naked eye than trying to figure out if the 9 is recut, which requires magnification.  On the originals, the Q nearly touches the line; on restrikes there is an easily discernable gap (a little difficult to see on the graphic as the reverse of the image came out a little blurry).

If you take a closer look, you will discover that none of the descriptions of the differences are truly correct.  Technically, the Q is not actually closer to the line on the originals – look carefully, the LINE of the ground is LOWER on the restrikes, creating the larger gap.  It creates the same difference comparatively, but artistically, the difference is important in that the artist accomplished the design by using a different artistic style with the ground placed lower, not with the Q placed further away.

But it is much easier to tell the difference than simply the “Q” or the re-cutting of the  “9“. Which gives me the opportunity to jump on a soapbox.  Too often we look at lettering to find differences, something we learned to do from coin collecting. Look at the artistic style! The replacement reverse die is not only different in the placement of the letter Q and the re-cutting of the date.

Take a closer look. It has the same design elements in the same basic location, but it is a copy die, executed by a different artist copying the original.  Look back and forth between the original and restrike, and note the fine details of how two different artists accomplish the same design. The arrows in the graphic only show a few of the differences. The date is wider, every single letter is differently placed, the style of the periods differs, the folds of the drapery are different, the fasces axe is different, the length of the staff of the axe beyond the blade is different , the point of the sword is different (and points to a different spot in the lettering), the ferrule of the swords are different, the fringe has different detail, the gaps between the leaves and berries are different, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.  In proportion and angle and style - EVERYTHING is different.

While a pantograph could have been used to create the replacement dies from the original dies or original medals; these are inexact copies.  Using a pantograph improperly the details could be muddied, and details can be re-engraved.  With no records of the exact process used to make the new dies, we can only look at the medals to figure out what happened.  The restrikes are just too far removed from being perfect copies of the originals for them to have been created from a pantograph of the original dies.

Now we know that the original dies were only used to strike the original Sansom Washington Presidency Relinquished medals, and the restrikes are only copies with no lineage to those original dies.   I hope that this discovery and examination will cause all of us to take a closer look at everything about the differences between medals (and any numismatic items) struck then re-struck later with the same design elements.  No artist can make an exact copy, not even of his own work.  Only an entirely mechanical process or use of the same original dies can create a precise copy.

With restrikes of so many historic medals, for too long we have oversimplified the differences between medals.  I have seen many examples of this on Betts medals, and US Mint medals where a little effort, research, and computer technology could unveil their secrets.    Also for too long, we have ignored historical medals as also being pieces of art, and failed to look carefully at them artistically.

One great example I can give is the previously enigmatic Maryland medals (Betts 34-36).  John Adams suspected they were the work of Thomas Simon from their style.  I looked through all of the British medals made at the time by Simon and everyone else, and Simon has a very distinctive style matching the Maryland medals.  This made me absolutely certain Simon designed the medals.  And closer examination revealed that the medals actually have Simon’s mark on them!

Consider the artistic style of everything, especially the designs, and look beyond the lettering.  In the computer and internet age of enlightenment we have the resources we need to set aside previous dogma and take a closer more detailed look.

AMSTERDAM'S ROYAL TROPICAL INSTITUTE LIBRARY CLOSES

Yossi Dotan submitted these notes on the sad loss of another library, this one in Amsterdam.
-Editor

You reported in The E-Sylum on the closing of the numismatic library at Utrecht, Holland.
I now read that the same happened at the Royal Tropical Institute in Amsterdam.

A web page in Dutch tells that the library existed 230 years, initially relating to the Dutch colonies (about 10% of the present collection), since 1950 relating to less developed countries. There were some 1,000,000 documents in the collection, which measured more than 10 km (6.2 miles) long.

After finding a good home for 98% of the library, on December 19 and 20 the public could come and take books and other publications from the remaining 2%, for free.

Regards, very best wishes for a happy 2014, and many thanks for your efforts to make The E-Sylum so interesting reading,

While not specifically numismatic, the library's vast collection could have been useful to numismatic researchers.  Now it would take treks to the University of Leiden and the Bibliotheca Alexandrina in Alexandria, Egypt to examine many of the materials.
-Editor

To read the complete articles, see:

KIT ILS and KIT Library cease all operations

(www.kit.nl/kit/KIT-Information-Library-Services)

KIT Bibliotheekcollectie gered

(www.kit.nl/kit/Nieuws/Nieuws-2013/KIT-Bibliotheekcollectie-gered.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JANUARY 5, 2014

 A Counterfeit 1967 Red Book