The E-Sylum v18#49 December 6, 2015

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Dec 6 20:57:07 PST 2015

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 18, Number 49, December 6, 2015
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 6, 2015
<#a01>
**
JACK COLLINS WRITER'S AWARD PRESENTED TO ELEONORA GIAMPICCOLO
<#a02>
**
KOLBE & FANNING 2016 NEW YORK BOOK AUCTION HIGHLIGHTS
<#a03>
**
NUMISMATIC LITERATURE IN VAUCTIONS SALE #318
<#a04>
**
DAVIS OFFERS SEVERAL NEW SPINK TITLES
<#a05>
**
E-SYLUM EDITOR INTERVIEWED BY ABC NEWS
<#a06>
**
THE SAMUEL H. AND HENRY CHAPMAN CLIENT LIST
<#a07>
**
RESEARCHERS WELCOME THE NUMISMATIST DIGITAL ARCHIVE
<#a08>
**
COINVAC DIGITIZES ITS 100TH INTERNET AUCTION SALE
<#a09>
**
ZYRUS PRESS EXITS NEW BOOK PUBLISHING BUSINESS
<#a10>
**
BOOK REVIEW: THE COINAGE OF THE IRANIAN HUNS
<#a11>
**
BOOK REVIEW: OLYMPIC COINS AND MEDALS
<#a12>
**
UPDATE ON DAVID LANGE'S RESEARCH PROJECTS
<#a13>
**
EXHIBIT TO HIGHLIGHT MEDALS OF CHRISTIAN GOBRECHT
<#a14>
**
ERIC NEWMAN INTERVIEWED BY LOCAL TV STATION
<#a15>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 6, 2015
<#a16>
**
SLOSS PHOTO IDENTIFICATIONS SOUGHT
<#a17>
**
ROBERT WOOD MERCER (1840-1894)
<#a18>
**
REPEAT AFTER ME: GRAIN = CORN; CORN = MAIZE
<#a19>
**
QUIZ ANSWER: MARK TWAIN AT THE SAN FRANCISCO MINT
<#a20>
**
GREENBACKS, GOLD AND AMERICAN CAPITALISM
<#a21>
**
EDMONTON  AMALGAMATION CELEBRATION MEDAL
<#a22>
**
HIGHLIGHTS FROM ARCHIVES DECEMBER 14, 2015 SALE
<#a23>
**
CNG DR. LAWRENCE A. ADAMS PART III SALE HIGHLIGHTS
<#a24>
**
CNG TRITON XIX SALE HIGHLIGHTS
<#a25>
**
SAN JOSE GALLEON FOUND: THE HOLY GRAIL OF SHIPWRECKS
<#a26>
**
FINDING SHIPWRECKS IS GETTING EASIER AND HARDER
<#a27>
**
HARVEY STACK REMEMBERS THE 1940S
<#a28>
**
DEALER MARK YAFFE SENTENCED TO PRISON
<#a29>
**
THE ROYAL MINT’S NEW £50 COIN
<#a30>
**
THE HAPPY COUPLE ON CZECHOSLOVAK MONEY
<#a31>
**
CHINA RELEASES SPACE PROGRAM BANKNOTES AND COINS
<#a32>
**
BANKNOTE PRINTER DE LA RUE ANNOUNCES CUTBACKS
<#a33>
**
COUNTY INTAGLIO PRINTING PAPER SHORTAGE ENDS
<#a34>
**
UGANDA TO DEPORT COUNTERFEITER TO US
<#a35>
**
ARTICLE HIGHLIGHTS SANTA CLAUS BANKNOTES
<#a36>
**
COMPANY BUILDS AUTOMOBILE VENDING MACHINE
<#a37>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to
whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 6, 2015

New subscribers this week include:
Michael Kohn.
Welcome aboard!
We now have 1,904 subscribers.

I wasn't able to get all the way through my massive pile of E-Sylum email this week, so my apologies to those I haven't been able to respond to.  On the other hand, we have all our Christmas decorations up, I won a game of Monopoly, and two of the three Homren kids won their basketball games this weekend, one by a whopping 65-point margin.

This week we open with an NBS award presentation, updates on two numismatic literature sales, a word from Charlie Davis, and a surprise interview by ABC News.
Next up are three articles on recent numismatic digitization, and two book reviews.

Other topics include Zyrus Press, Christian Gobrecht medals, Eric Newman, Robert Mercer, Mark Twain, James O. Sloss, Mark Yaffe, banknote printer De La Rue, and Santa Claus notes.

To learn more about the Vatican coin cabinet, Haym Salomon, the Chapman client list, CoinVac, the Iranian Huns, Jacob Shapiro, the Edmonton amalgamation celebration medal, the Zodiac Mohur, the San Jose galleon, Harold Bareford, and the happy couple on Czechoslovak money, read on.   Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

JACK COLLINS WRITER'S AWARD PRESENTED TO ELEONORA GIAMPICCOLO

NBS Vice-President
Elizabeth Hahn Benge  forwarded this note about some official society business she took care of for us on a recent trip.  Thanks!
-Editor

I was in Rome, Italy, recently for a work trip and had the opportunity to present Eleonora Giampiccolo with her NBS Jack Collins Writer's Award for her article in The Asylum about the Vatican coin cabinet. Here is a photo of me with Eleonora inside the Vatican coin cabinet where she works (her full title: Dr Eleonora Giampiccolo, Curator responsible for the Vatican Medagliere). We are also pictured with Prof. Giancarlo Alteri, former keeper of the Vatican Medagliere and Director of the Coin cabinet of the Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana. Eleonora was thrilled and honored to receive the award!

KOLBE & FANNING 2016 NEW YORK BOOK AUCTION HIGHLIGHTS

David Fanning forwarded these additional highlights from the upcoming Kolbe & Fanning 2016 New York Book Auction. Thanks.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning’s 2016 New York Book Auction features remarkable rarities and important works from around the world. With the celebrated RBW Library on Roman Republican coins serving as its foundation, the sale’s offerings span the numismatic spectrum. Some highlights include:

Lot 42: the very rare catalogue of the Carlos de Beistegui collection

Lot 54: the 1522 Aldine Press edition of Budé’s masterwork De asse

Lot 169: a complete bound set of the Berliner Blätter für Munz-, Siegel- und Wappenkunde

Lot 206: a handsome copy of Fulvio Orsini’s 1577 Familiae Romanae

Lots 324 through 327: the RBW collection of nearly 1,000 numismatic offprints arranged in four lots

Lots 368 and 378: the massive catalogues of the Gustave Dreyful reliefs & plaquettes and Renaissance medals

Lot 399: a very rare original copy of Prou on Carolingian coins

Lot 401: Ricaud de Tiregale’s classic 1772 work on Russian medals

Lot 418: Duke Karl Bernhard’s 1828 memoirs of traveling in America, including visits to the U.S. Mint and other numismatic entries

Lot 427: S.H. Chapman’s 1913 catalogue of the John P. Lyman collection, with plates.

Lots 42 and 54

Lots 169 and 206

Lot 324

Lot 368 and 399

Lot 401

Lots 418 and 427

Over 450 lots are included in the sale, a PDF of which has been posted on the K&F website at numislit.com. Printed catalogues are being mailed this week to current customers, and the full illustrated online catalogue will be posted to our online bidding platform at auction.numismlit.com in about a week. The sale will take place on Saturday, January 9, 2016, beginning at 12:30 p.m. eastern time, at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in Manhattan in conjunction with the 2016 New York International Numismatic Convention.

More information on the sale will be included in future announcements.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed auction firm in the State of Ohio and is conducting the sale in conjunction with Marissa Russell, auctioneer. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at

www.numislit.com or email David Fanning at df at numislit.com. We look forward to your participation.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

KOLBE & FANNING 2016 NEW YORK BOOK AUCTION ANNOUNCED

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n48a02.html)

NUMISMATIC LITERATURE IN VAUCTIONS SALE #318

Kerry Wetterstrom writes:

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum