The E-Sylum v18#40 October 4, 2015

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Oct 4 15:31:58 PDT 2015

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 18, Number 40, October 4, 2015
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 4, 2015
<#a01>
**
ASYLUM APRIL-JUNE 2015 ISSUE PUBLISHED
<#a02>
**
SKLOW MAIL BID SALE #26 CLOSES OCTOBER 10, 2015
<#a03>
**
KOLBE & FANNING’S SALE 140 CLOSES NOVEMBER 7, 2015
<#a04>
**
BOOK REVIEW: WHO'S WHO AMONG AMERICAN MEDALLISTS
<#a05>
**
BOOK REVIEW: THE COINAGE OF THE SCYTHIAN KINGS
<#a06>
**
THOMAS DEO EDWARDS (1894-1946)
<#a07>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 4, 2015
<#a08>
**
WILL THE REAL M.E. HART PLEASE STAND UP? PART 2
<#a09>
**
COLLECTING CATALOGS OFFERING 1804 DOLLARS
<#a10>
**
ON AUCTION CATALOG WEIGHT
<#a11>
**
SLATE  FEATURES THOMPSON'S BANK NOTE REPORTER
<#a12>
**
COUNTERFEIT 1972 DOUBLED DIE LINCOLN CENT
<#a13>
**
THE NEW ORLEANS MINT UNDER SOUTHERN FLAGS
<#a14>
**
MORE ON GEORGE THOMAS MCCOMBE, JR.
<#a15>
**
SUBSCRIBER PROFILE: JULIA CASEY
<#a16>
**
SIR THOMAS GRESHAM AND “GRESHAM’S LAW”
<#a17>
**
THE PRINT BOOK DOOMSAYERS ARE WRONG
<#a18>
**
QUERY: PRESS RUN FOR A NEW BOOK ON NUMISMATICS
<#a19>
**
COIN DESIGNER JOEL ISKOWITZ TO SPEAK AT NYC SHOW
<#a20>
**
SELECTIONS FROM THE 2015 FALL PAN SHOW AUCTION
<#a21>
**
POGUE II: THE RARE COIN MARKET ROARS
<#a22>
**
PRINCETON ACQUIRES SCHAAF SASANIAN COINS
<#a23>
**
HIGHLIGHTS OF PAUL FRANCIS JACQUIER AUCTION 40
<#a24>
**
HIGHLIGHTS OF GADOURY NOVEMBER 2015 AUCTION
<#a25>
**
MORE ON THE J. L. BERCH COUNTERSTAMP
<#a26>
**
THE MEDALS OF ALEX SHAGIN
<#a27>
**
ALEXANDER KIRKWOOD & CO, MEDALLISTS
<#a28>
**
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE NEWMAN PART VII SALE
<#a29>
**
QUERY: MOMBASA MYSTERY COIN
<#a30>
**
THE ARMENIAN NUMISMATIC AND ANTIQUITIES SOCIETY
<#a31>
**
WHAT PROMPTS PEOPLE TO BECOME COLLECTORS?
<#a32>
**
THE CLIVE DEVENISH MECHANICAL BANK COLLECTION
<#a33>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: LIBERTY SEATED COLLECTORS CLUB
<#a34>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to
whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 4, 2015

New subscribers this week include:
Phil Christ.
Welcome aboard!
We now have 1,882 subscribers.

This week we open with word on the latest Asylum issue, notes from two numismatic literature dealers, and two book reviews.
Other topics include 1804 Dollars, the New Orleans Mint, Gresham's Law, Pogue II, Alex Shagin and Alexander Kirkwood & Co.

To learn more about medalists and medallists, etrogs, Deo Edwards, The Society of the Cincinnati, auction catalog weight, smackeroos, novenos, Viking medals, green tinted cycloidal guilloche configurations and the Mombasa mystery coin, read on.   Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

ASYLUM APRIL-JUNE 2015 ISSUE PUBLISHED

David Yoon is the editor of our print journal, The Asylum. he writes:

Another issue of The Asylum is at the printers. Here are the contents:

David Stone, The Rare Plated Woodin Catalogue: Tom Elder’s Epic Gold Sale

Ray Williams, Charles Bushnell’s Manuscript “Early Currency”

Thomas D. Harrison, Édouard Frossard’s Anonymous Auction Catalogues

David F. Fanning, Off the Shelf: Spasskii’s The Russian Monetary System

Sounds like a GREAT issue!
Remember, while The E-Sylum is free to all, only paid members of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society receive our print journal, The Asylum. Membership is only $20 to addresses in the U.S., $25 for First Class mail, and $30 elsewhere
-Editor

For a membership application form, see:

www.coinbooks.org/about/NBS_Membership_Form_2015.pdf

SKLOW MAIL BID SALE #26 CLOSES OCTOBER 10, 2015

David Sklow passed along this reminder of his upcoming numismatic literature sale.
-Editor

Numismatic Literature enthusiasts!
 Mail Bid Sale # 26 closes in one short week on Saturday Oct 10th at 8 PM Mountain Time.
Be sure to mark your calendar and submit your bids before the deadline!

There over 1000 lots of interesting books, auction catalogs and periodicals to choose from.

Bidding is via email, telephone, fax and USPS. Bids left on our answering service, faxes and email bids received before midnight on closing night will be accepted.

Catalog is available for viewing & downloading on our web site.
 Bid Early & Bid Often!

David Sklow - Fine Numismatic Books
P.O. Box 6321
Colorado Springs, CO 80934
Phone:719-302-5686
Fax: 719-302-4933
 Email:

numismaticbooks at aol.com

 Website:

Finenumismaticbooks.com

 THE BOOK BAZARRE
 CHERRYPICKERS, GET READY!
The new sixth edition, volume I, of the Cherrypickers’ Guide is now available. Covering half cents and large cents, small cents, up to nickels, in 448 pages. Get your copy today for $39.95 at

Whitman.com
 or call 800-546-2995.

KOLBE & FANNING’S SALE 140 CLOSES NOVEMBER 7, 2015

David Fanning forwarded this press release about the next Kolbe & Fanning numismatic literature sale.  Thanks!
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning’s latest catalogue has been published: our Sale 140, featuring selections from the library of Stephen Epstein, among other properties. The sale features numismatic literature from around the world, and will be held beginning at noon eastern time on Saturday, November 7.

Some highlights from the sale include:

Lot 15: Beaupré’s rare work on the medallist Ferdinand de Saint-Urbain

Lot 70: Friedensburg’s rare three-volume publication on medieval Silesian coins

Lot 142: Medina on European medals relating to the Americas

Lots 157 and 158: Niggl’s first and second volumes on musical medals

Lot 174: Rodolfo Ratto’s 1928 sale of the Sydenham aes grave and Roman Republican coins

Lot 266: a complete hardcover set of the Akers sales of the Pittman collection

Lot 273: an original copy of Attinelli’s Numisgraphics, ex Ferguson Haines

Lot 314: a framed handbill for an 1861 numismatic lottery scheme by John K. Curtis

Lot 339: a massive 1863 broadside by S.G. Hubbard, being the first Cincinnati coin auction

Lot 416: a 21-volume hardcover set of John J. Ford, Jr. coin sales (2003-07).

Printed copies of the catalogue are mailing to customers on our mailing list. A PDF of the printed version has been posted on the main Kolbe & Fanning website at numislit.com for anyone wishing to browse the sale or search by keywords. In addition, the sale has been posted to Kolbe & Fanning’s custom online biding platform at auction.numislit.com, where every lot is illustrated in color and where absentee bids can be placed at any time prior to the sale. The live sale will be conducted on the auction.numislit.com site.

As a reminder, bidders may participate in this sale in a variety of ways. Please feel free to send us your bids in the regular mail or send us an e-mail. Give us a call or send us a fax. For those who prefer the experience of live bidding, please check out our live biding platform at auction.numislit.com. Register in advance of the sale and browse the lots at your leisure: all lots are illustrated in the online catalogue. Absentee bids can be placed in advance, allowing participants to not worry about remembering the sale or finding themselves unexpectedly occupied on the day of the sale. Bids will be reduced as competition dictates and the privacy of your maximum bids is maintained. Please contact David Fanning at df at numislit.com with any questions.

BOOK REVIEW: WHO'S WHO AMONG AMERICAN MEDALLISTS

Harry Waterson submitted this review of Dick Johnson's new book,  Who's Who Among American Medallists.  Thanks!
-Editor

 Dick Johnson's:  Who's Who Among American Medallists. The Artists of Our Country's Coins and Medals 1652 to Date. by D. Wayne Johnson

I am sure the book did not start out this way but today it is an interactive catalog of mostly American medallists. The Who's Who is the book with artists listed from Aarons, George Manual to Zorrilla, J and 4,000 others in between. The bios reflect years of compiling data about each artist. Some are quite complete and some are placeholders awaiting more information when available. The book answers the question; Who? The website

www.MedalArtists.com  answers the question; What? The website is where every artist's work is briefly described and illustrated if possible. By its very nature this is a work in progress, the Wikimedallica of the medal collectors world.

The book arrived in August and I will forever be digesting it. I have been researching one medallist and compiling a catalog of his works for the past 14 years. To compare what Dick Johnson has accomplished to my efforts let me use a stairway analogy. He has reached the top of the Washington Monument and defined the landscape. I am still climbing to the top of a five-flight walk-up. In the Bronx.

This is a first edition of a book that will see many more editions as biographical information is acquired and updated, and a website that will migrate from one digital format to another to  remain accessible as it expands and multiplies.

A careful reading of the forward is necessary for the reader to really understand the breadth of the concept described here. Not just a book, not just a website but a marriage of the codex of yore with the informational web platform of tomorrow. It is my hope that the members of the medal collecting community who are often knowledgeable in one small area of Ars Medallica will share that knowledge with the rest of the community via this book/cat-web/cat. Dick Johnson is a generalist and has devoted his life to this grand conjunction. If each of us added our own 2 cents the end result would explode geometrically.

Medallist. On his copyright page Dick Johnson deals with the spelling issue of this word for the designer of a medal. He has opted to use the double L in 'medallist.' This is an elegant solution to spelling 'medallist' in the tradition of The 'Medallic' Art Company and the Society of 'Medallists.'  This leaves 'medalist' to the winner of a competitive event. Spell check awarded me a redline under medallist whenever i typed it out until I just added medallist to my dictionary and, poof, the redline went away. Of course, if we all lived in France, they have a perfectly good word, i.e. Medailleur, who is the designer of..., not the winner of.... But then that would be a book of a different cover.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: WHO’S WHO AMONG AMERICAN MEDALLISTS

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n37a06.html)

BOOK REVIEW: THE COINAGE OF THE SCYTHIAN KINGS

In the Ocober 1, 2015 issue of CoinsWeekly, Ursula Kampmann published a review of Dimitar Draganov's book on the coinage of the Scythian Kings
-Editor

Dimitar Draganov, The Coinage of the Scythian Kings in the West Pontic Area. Bobokov Bros. Foundation. Sofia 2015. 310 pages and 72 plates, full color illustrations, including numerous maps and tables. A4. Hardcover. ISBN 978-954-9460-05-6. 120 euros + postage.

Generally speaking, the world of ancient numismatics is rather simple. It consists of two parts, the Greeks on the one hand, and the Romans on the other hand. Admittedly, the Celts and the Byzantines have managed to develop a life of their own, as it were, but all the other peoples which past generations, rather disrespectfully, used to call “Randvölker” (borderland peoples) almost never make it into the headlines. Yet they form such an essential element of the rich tapestry of the ancient world.

Take the Skythians, for example, which have been the subject of romantic and glorifying descriptions as early as Herodotus. King Ateas, coeval with Philipp II of Macedonia, successfully gained control over almost all Skythian tribes. We do not know for sure how he achieved this diplomatic and military masterpiece. But one thing is certain. He most likely spent as much energy on his campaigns as Philipp II on his conquest of Greece, which, however, found a much greater response by the chroniclers. Furthermore, the Skythian coins continue to be subsumed under the title “Greek Coinage” in all catalogs. This has become a cherished habit, though it surely is historically inaccurate.

Anyhow, the new monograph written by Dimitar Draganov focuses on this intriguing coinage. The first part deals with the coins minted under King Ateas during the first Skythian kingdom which Philipp II destroyed in 339. This part likewise includes the coinage of the city of Dionysopolis, the specimens of which depict an equestrian statue of the king.

The second part examines the coinage of the second Skythian kingdom on the Dobruja, ruled by the members of a single dynasty between ca. 218 and 168/7 BC, including the following kings: Tanousas, Kanites, Akrosas, Charaspes, Aelis, and Sariakes. The author has done fundamental work here. The relative chronology of the rulers of the second Skythian kingdom used to be a matter of scholarly dispute; with this book, Dimitar Draganov not only presents a conclusive reconstruction of the line of succeeding rulers but also gives reliable dates.

Dimitar Draganov studies the depictions of all types of coinage in detail, putting a special emphasis on the countermarks. To put it briefly, the reader is provided with an excellent and lavishly illustrated numismatic commentary. The author likewise benefits from his knowledge of both Western and Eastern languages. He submits a synthesis of the research on this subject-matter and has nevertheless decided to formulate his own findings not in his first language, Bulgarian, but in English instead. The international numismatic community will most likely appreciate this.

This takes us to the die corpus that presents the material neatly arranged and fully illustrated with marvelous images, making the book a valuable standard reference. Every coin dealer, every museum curator will treasure it when he or she is preparing a catalog. What is more, Dimitar Draganov devotes an entire chapter to modern counterfeits. Anyone inclined to think that there was no such thing as a forged bronze coin will be taught better.

To cut a long story short, this book is a new standard work and is a must-have for every library aiming at complying with scientific standards.

To read the complete article, see:

The Coinage of the Scythian Kings in the West Pontic Area

(www.coinsweekly.com/en/News/4?&id=3674)

THOMAS DEO EDWARDS (1894-1946)

John Lupia submitted the following information from his Encyclopedic Dictionary of Numismatic Biographies‎ for this week's installment of his series. Thanks. As always, this is an excerpt with the full article and bibliography available online. This week's subject is Deo Edwards, a collector of U.S. Half Cents.
-Editor

Thomas Deo Edwards (1894-1946), was born on April 24, 1894, son of Thomas Edwin Edwards (1864-1940), a farmer, and Izaetta Jane Griffin Edwards (1868-1935) at Eugene, Oregon.
He graduated high school and entered the University of Oregon.
In December 1927 he applied for membership in the A.N.A. and was given Member No. 3258. In public life he dropped his first name "Edward" and went by his middle name "Deo". In 1926, he was the manager, Hotel Electric, Oregon City, Oregon. In February 1932, he purchased the Tourist Hotel, 524 ½ Main Street, Oregon City, Oregon.

    He was a collector specializing in the highest grade U. S. half cents according to his letter dated October 8, 1928 to Henry Chapman, Jr.

Letterhead of the Electric Hotel with note sent by Deo Edwards to Henry Chapman, postmarked October 8, 1928, 9 A.M., Oregon City, Oregon.

"Henry Chapman : Dear Sir : I'm attempting to complete the entire series of U. S. half cents in uncirculated or proof condition. I have about 25 of the more common (also the 1852 proof). Please mail me a list of all the unc. or proof 1/2 cents you have in stock. A note from time to time as you acquire new ones in unc or proof condition please advise me. Yours Truly Deo Edwards A.N.A. 3258"

Over the years he wrote to Henry Chapman buying half cents. What happened to his collection is unknown. He died of apoplexy on March 7, 1946, at age 51, 10 months and 7 days. He is buried in the U. S. veterans burial grounds, Lincoln Memorial Park Cemetery, Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon.

Interesting - I don't remember ever reading about Edwards.  What became of his collection?   Does his name appears in any Half Cent pedigrees?
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

EDWARDS, THOMAS DEO

(https://sites.google.com/site/numismaticmallcom/encyclopedic-dictionary-of-numismatic-biographies/edwards-thomas-deo)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 4, 2015

 Moreau de St. Méry’s American Journey
Philip L. Mossman writes:

I was so pleased that Gawain O'Connor called everyone’s attention to that fantastic book,  MOREAU DE ST. MÉRY’S AMERICAN JOURNEY.  Although as a fellow Mainer, and a collector of the works of Kenneth Robert, this 1947 classic escaped my attention until 1997 when I was directed to it by Gary Trudgen’s reference in the July 15, 1989 issue of Penny-Wise and by Mike Hodder’s commentary, “Did New Jersey Coppers Officially Circulate in 1792,” published in The Colonial Newsletter (RF-64) [March 1990, sequential page 1152].  I agree with Wayne’s suggestion, based on Gawain’s timely review; this book is “a marvelous find for numismatists.”

This same thinking prompted me to publish my assessment in The Colonial Newsletter [April 1997, pp. 1669-77] which I entitled “More on Moreau.”  In my article, I amplified the colonial exchange rates of the period as quoted by Moreau since sometimes these private, individual reports give a better picture of actual day-to-day life as noted by Gawain’s quotations about the Hackensack ferry and daily market prices of common food items. One scary item in this story is that during his escape from unfriendly revolutionary forces in Paris, Moreau cheated the guillotine by a mere eighteen [days] ahead of his pursuers by clearing the port of LeHarve on the brig Sophie to Portland, ME!  Thank you Gawain for this memory prompt and recommendation to colonial enthusiasts.  Read it!

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

BOOK REVIEW: MOREAU DE ST. MÉRY’S AMERICAN JOURNEY

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n39a08.html)

 The Society of the Cincinnati
Bob Fagaly  writes:

Regarding the article on the ”THE NATIONAL DEFENSE MEDAL” quoted  in the September 27, 2015 issue of The E-Sylum, where it states:

"Marco Islander Lou Stickles is very proud man. He has just been awarded the National Defense Medal by the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC), which was established in 1894 and is the oldest patriotic lineage organization in the country.”

I should point out that The Society of the Cincinnati, founded in 1783 predates the UDC by 111 years.

Quite correct.  Thanks.  Here's a little more about the Society.
-Editor

The Society of the Cincinnati is the nation's oldest patriotic organization, founded in 1783 by officers of the Continental Army and their French counterparts who served together in the American Revolution. Its mission is to promote knowledge and appreciation of the achievement of American independence and to foster fellowship among its members. Now a nonprofit educational organization devoted to the principles and ideals of its founders, the modern Society maintains its headquarters, library, and museum at Anderson House in Washington, D.C.

I took the above image from the web site pretty much at random, but hit pay dirt.
-Editor

Bob adds:

I note you show the portrait of Gen. Morgan Lewis wearing George Washington’s Diamond Eagle (the eagle is the badge (actually an order) of the Society). Featured on the cover of Rulau and Fuld’s Medallic Portraits of Washington, it is arguably the most valuable piece of Washingtonia in existence.

For more information on The Society of the Cincinnati , see:

The Society of the Cincinnati

(www.societyofthecincinnati.org)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

THE NATIONAL DEFENSE MEDAL

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n39a25.html)

 Pince-Nez in Numismatics
Pete Mosiondz writes:

Thanks for another great E-Sylum. I too am a Sherlock Holmes aficionado. I always had trouble pronouncing pince-nez (a pair of glasses without sidepieces, held in place by a clip that fits over the nose). I have been told that it is pronounced pons-nay. If I recall correctly, one of the Jeremy Brett episodes mentioned them likewise.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

PINCE-NEZ IN NUMISMATICS

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n39a31.html)

 Alan David Craig  Information Sought
Bruce Smith  writes:

I am working on my bibliography on Chinese numismatics and have come to  Alan David Craig. He was born in 1930, wrote a still important book, "The Coins of Korea" (1955), and for a few years in the late 1950's published the Far East Numismatic Digest. He lived in Berkeley, California and was in the U.S. military in Korea during the Korean War. I believe he died in 1999. Can anyone confirm this? His Coins of Korea was reprinted in 2011 by Ishi Press in New York, which has reprinted some other numismatic works in the past few years.

Can anyone help?
-Editor

 Panama 1941 One Balboa Note Census