The E-Sylum v19n34 August 21, 2016

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Aug 21 19:08:32 PDT 2016

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 19, Number 34, August 21, 2016
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM AUGUST 21, 2016
<#a01>
**
NBS EVENTS AT THE 2016 ANA CONVENTION
<#a02>
**
KOLBE & FANNING LIST CATALOGUES FOR SALE
<#a03>
**
LAKE BOOKS 125TH SALE CLOSES SEPTEMBER 13, 2016
<#a04>
**
COINWEEK WINS RECORD NINE NLG AWARDS
<#a05>
**
2016 NLG WRITERS’ COMPETITION RESULTS
<#a06>
**
NEWMAN NUMISMATIC PORTAL WINS NLG AWARDS
<#a07>
**
NEW BOOK: SCANDINAVIAN NUMISMATIC BIBLIOGRAPHY, 3RD ED.
<#a08>
**
NEW BOOK: THE ECUADOR REGISTER PART IV: 50 SUCRES
<#a09>
**
BOOK REVIEW: TRUTH SEEKER: LIFE OF ERIC P. NEWMAN
<#a10>
**
BOOK REVIEW: CURIOUS CURRENCY
<#a11>
**
DAVID SUNDMAN'S RED BOOK RECOLLECTIONS
<#a12>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 21, 2016
<#a13>
**
ENGRAVED HALF DIME SHOWS CONFEDERATE FLAGS
<#a14>
**
GEORGE FRIEDRICH ULEX
<#a15>
**
OLDEST ANS MEMBER PASSES AWAY: LéON LACROIX
<#a16>
**
THE NUMISMATIST PROFILES JOSEPH ESPOSITO
<#a17>
**
CONSIDERING THE CONTROVERSIAL J.S.G. BOGGS
<#a18>
**
A VISIT TO THE CHARLOTTE FEDERAL RESERVE BRANCH
<#a19>
**
THE EARLIEST KNOWN PHOTOGRAPH
<#a20>
**
QUERY: PRIMITIVE M. WALFORD & DALE TOKEN
<#a21>
**
QUERY: FUNERAL DIRECTORS VAULTS CREMATORY TAG
<#a22>
**
QUERY: PHILADELPHIA EXPO MEDAL OF HONOR
<#a23>
**
PAN FALL 2016 COIN SHOW AND LECTURE SERIES
<#a24>
**
NENA TO CELEBRATE 75TH ANNIVERSARY
<#a25>
**
2017 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL RATES ANNOUNCED
<#a26>
**
WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: AUGUST 21, 2016
<#a27>
**
THE CHRISTIANIZATION OF ROMAN COINAGE
<#a28>
**
DETECTORIST FINDS RARE YORK GOLD SHILLING
<#a29>
**
DERBYSHIRE SILVER COIN FIND DECLARED TREASURE
<#a30>
**
SPINK TO SELL LORD STEWARTBY GOLD COINS
<#a31>
**
CHRISTIAN WEISS AND THE ZURICH COIN CABINET
<#a32>
**
QUERY: GLASS MEDALS
<#a33>
**
HOGGE MONEY COMMEMORATED WITH COUNTERSTAMP
<#a34>
**
CLEVELAND PIZZA HOUSE ADVERTISING $5 BILL
<#a35>
**
PET MONKEYS BOUGHT WITH COUNTERFEIT CASH
<#a36>
**
STEPPING THE WAVERTREE MAST
<#a37>
**
GENERAL HOSPITAL EPISODE FEATURES ROMAN COIN
<#a38>
**
ARTICLE HIGHLIGHTS UNUSUAL WORLD COINS
<#a39>
**
ISLAMIC STATE COINS ON EBAY
<#a40>
**
TURKS TURN BACKS ON U.S. DOLLAR
<#a41>
**
A TEXAS-SIZED FUGIO CENT
<#a42>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: 1860 FIREMAN'S MEDAL
<#a43>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM AUGUST 21, 2016

New subscribers this week include:
Paul Williams,
Kierstin Shields of Littleton Coin Co.,
John Quinlan,
Mark Baskin, and
"S. S. Crosby".
Welcome aboard! We now have 2,006 subscribers.

This week we open with and NBS President's message from Marc Ricard, updates from two numismatic literature dealers, award reports from the ANA convention, two new books and two reviews.

Other topics this week include an unusual engraved half dime, numismatists George Ulex and Joe Esposito, Money Artist J.S.G. Boggs, the Charlotte Federal Reserve Branch, the PAN, NENA and NYINC shows, Lord Stewartby's gold coins, and stepping the mast.

To learn more about glass medals, crematory tags,  Harriet Tubman on paper money,
money robots Smash, Dash, Crash and Flash,
1906 Morgan dollars, and the second largest Fugio Cent I've ever seen, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NBS EVENTS AT THE 2016 ANA CONVENTION

Numismatic Bibliomania Society President Marc Ricard filed this report on club events at last week's American Numismatic Association World's Fair of Money.
-Editor

Holabird Addressing 2016 NBS Symposium
Photo: Wayne Homren

I have just returned from the ANA World's Fair of Money in Anaheim, and I can report with great confidence that the specialty of collecting numismatic literature is alive and well!  On Thursday, one of the finest researchers in numismatics, Fred Holabird, shared his valuable techniques at our well-attended NBS Symposium.  His dynamic style and ability to show us all how to "think out of the box" when conducting our research was invaluable.

The NBS Board of Directors met to discuss the fiscal state of our organization, and it was decided to raise the dues for NBS both in North America and internationally.  Changes will be reflected in coming weeks here in The E-Sylum.

President Marc Ricard Introducing Wayne Homren
Photo: David Sundman

NBS Fundraising Auction Lots
Photo: Wayne Homren

Our meetings in Anaheim ended on a high note with our NBS General Meeting and Auction.  Wayne Homren and Len Augsburger informed our members and guests on the progress on the Newman Numismatic Portal.  The value of the Portal to researchers is already clear, and as the project expands, the information in these texts will be preserved for generations to come.  Lastly, our tremendous NBS Literature Auction raised over $3800 for our organization, ensuring our fiscal solvency into next year.  A special thanks to all that donated, bid, and helped with the auction.

I will continue to include monthly messages from the President's desk.  If you have any comments, suggestions, or great ideas for NBS, please send them to me or any member of the Board.

Photos by David Sundman

For more information about the Numismatic Bibliomania Society, see:

www.coinbooks.org

KOLBE & FANNING LIST CATALOGUES FOR SALE

Maria Fanning submitted this note announcing a new Kolbe & Fanning numismatic auction catalog sale.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning List Cheap Catalogues For Sale!

It is a simple fact that many sale catalogues that contain good, solid information aren’t worth much money on the secondary market. Collectors and researchers continue to need them, though the monetary return makes it difficult for booksellers to bother with them. As a result, they tend to pile up.

We have compiled a list of over 1800 catalogues and are making them available for between $3 and $10 each. These have not been exhaustively catalogued, with just the basic info noted. We have duplicate copies of some items, but not all.

Items will be available at the prices listed for 2 weeks. After September 4 remaining items will be 50% off the listed price for one more week before they are cleared out to make room for other titles.

To download the price list, see:

http://www.numislit.com/dl.php?type=pdf&file=/pdfs/Kolbefanning2016CheapList.pdf

Email your order to

orders at numislit.com today to reserve your catalogues. They won't last long!

LAKE BOOKS 125TH SALE CLOSES SEPTEMBER 13, 2016

Fred Lake submitted this announcement about his upcoming sale. Thanks!
-Editor

Lake Books’ 125th mail-bid sale of numismatic literature is now available for viewing on their web site at

http://www.lakebooks.com/current.html  The 489-lot sale features selections from the Estate of Gary A. Overton and twenty other notable numismatists. Included in the listings is a long run of Numismatic Notes and Monographs from the A.N.S. ; excellent photographic works by William Noyes detailing the best of Early American Coppers pieces ; over one hundred reference books that inform collectors about the interesting field of Tokens and Medals; explore the realms found in Treasure Hunting ; plus many fine works detailing World Coins and Paper Money.

The sale closes on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 5:00 PM  (EDT) and bids may be placed via email, fax, telephone or standard mail. It is always a good idea to bid early as ties are won by the earliest bid received.
Good Luck with your bidding !   Fred

Lake Books
6822 22nd Ave N
St. Petersburg, FL 33710-3918
727-343-8055   fax: 727-381-6822
Email: fredlake at tampabay.rr.com

Congratulations to Fred on his 125th sale!  What a workhorse!
-Editor

COINWEEK WINS RECORD NINE NLG AWARDS

An August 16, 2016 CoinWeek article summarized the haul of awards picked up by the publication at last week's Numismatic Literary Guild Bash.  Congratulations!
-Editor

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at the American Numismatic Association’s (ANA) World’s Fair of Money, the Numismatic Literary Guild (NLG) announced the winners of its annual writing competition at the NLG Bash, a dinner banquet attended by scores of the hobby’s most celebrated writers and publishers.

CoinWeek took home a record nine awards, including Best Online News Website, Best Online Spot News Story, Best Website Coin Article, Best Web Site Column, Best All-Around Portfolio, Best Non-Broadcast Audio Report, Best Non-Commercial Video, Best Commercial Video, and the James L. Miller Memorial Award.

“The broad range of awards that the NLG honored CoinWeek with shows our commitment to using technology and the media in new ways to bring people into the hobby and to educate them,” said CoinWeek editor Charles Morgan. “This approach is essential for the long-term growth and sustainability of the numismatic marketplace,”

It is the fifth year in a row that CoinWeek has received an award in the Best Online News Website category, and one that CoinWeek founder and webmaster Scott Purvis is quite proud of.

“Our goal has always been to provide our readers with not only the finest content from the best writers in the industry,” Purvis said, “but also to expand CoinWeek into a multi-media content distribution platform. Combined with CoinWeek’s success in developing and using social media to attract new younger collectors, CoinWeek has become the essential gateway in helping our sponsors connect and communicate with a new generation of collectors.

“We are very excited to be on the cutting edge of so many facets of the industry.”

CoinWeek’s Award Winners:

Best Online News Site – Charles Morgan [Editor], Hubert Walker [Asst. Editor], Scott Purvis [Webmaster]

Best Online Spot News Story –

“How the Royal Mint is Attempting to Redefine ‘Legal Tender’” – Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker

Best Website Coin Article –

“The Pogue Family Coin Collection” – Greg Reynolds

Best Website Column –

Classic U.S. Coins for Less than $500 Each – Greg Reynolds

Best All-Around Portfolio – Greg Reynolds

Best Non-Broadcast Audio Report –

“CoinWeek Podcast: It’s Important to Recognize the Greatness of American Women” – Charles Morgan

Best Non-Commercial Video –

“Numismatic Vienna” – Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker

Best Commercial Video –

“How Gold Coins are Made: Spotlight on the Vienna Philharmonic Gold Coin” – Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker

The James L. Miller Memorial Award –

“Confronting Breen” – Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker

In addition, CoinWeek’s Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker won an award for their column Market Whimsy, which ran in The Numismatist in 2015. CoinWeek contributor Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez also won an award for “Survival of the Cent and Nickel”, as published in COINage magazine.

Click on the links in the list above to read/listen/view the award-winning entries.  Congratulations to all involved at CoinWeek for their excellent showing.  E-Sylum readers will recall my endorsement of the Confronting Breen article, a compelling look at a tarnished American numismatic icon.

CoinWeek shines in multimedia, an area where The E-Sylum hasn't ventured.  I was a hobby new media leader back in the day when email and the Internet were new, but today's leading edge is in multimedia and social media.  Be sure to listen and watch to learn how that's done today.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

CoinWeek Wins Record Nine Numismatic Literary Guild Awards

(www.coinweek.com/recent-articles-video/coinweek-wins-record-nine-nlg-awards/)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

CONFRONTING THE LEGACY OF WALTER BREEN

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n45a11.html)

2016 NLG WRITERS’ COMPETITION RESULTS

We didn't have time to get all of this into last week's issue, so here is the complete list of winners of the 2016 Numismatic Literary Guild Writer's Competition.
-Editor

2016 Annual NLG Writers’ Awards
THE COIN DEALER NEWSLETTER EDUCATIONAL AWARD:

Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society, Newman Numismatic Portal
Len Augsburger, Wayne Homren and Chris Freeland

BOOK OF THE YEAR
The work having the greatest potential impact on numismatics :

Truth Seeker: The Life of Eric P. Newman, by Leonard Augsburger, Roger W. Burdette and Joel Orosz

BEST SPECIALIZED BOOK

United States Coins: 1849:  The Philadelphia Mint Strikes Gold, by Michael Moran and Jeff Garrett

World Coins:  Gold Ducats of The Netherlands, by Dariusz F. Jasek

U.S. Paper Money: Whitman Encyclopedia of Obsolete Paper Money, Volumes 5 and 6, by Q. David Bowers

World Paper Money: The Banknotes of the Imperial Bank of Persia, by Michael E. Bonine

Tokens and Medals: Lincoln’s Metallic Imagery, by Paul A. Cunningham

Numismatic Investments: The Coin Collector’s Survival Manual, Revised 7th Edition, by Scott A. Travers

EXTRAORDINARY MERIT

Abel Buell and the History of the Connecticut and Fugio Cent, by Christopher R. McDowell

American Gold and Silver, by Dennis Tucker

Collecting Coins in Retirement, by Tom Bilotta

French Coinage Specifically for Colonial America, by Sydney F. Martin

Medallic Art of the American Numismatic Society, 1865-1914, by Scott H. Miller

Monuments in Miniature: Architecture on Roman Coinage, by Nathan T. Elkins

100 Greatest Women on Coins By Ron Guth

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty, by William F. Nyberg

Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues, 22nd Edition. Maggie Judkins, Editor

The Hawaii National Bank Notes, by Jeremy Uota

Coin Collecting Albums, Volume 2, by David W. Lange

Whitman Encyclopedia of Mexican Money, by Don and Lois Bailey

U.S. NUMISMATIC MAGAZINES

BEST ARTICLE OR SERIES OF ARTICLES

Coins: “Survival of the Cent and Nickel,” Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez, COINage

Tokens & Medals: "A Never-Ending Story,” Tom DeLorey, COINage

Paper Money: “Imperfect Gentlemen,” Ron Meyer, COINage

BEST COLUMN: “My Two Cents’ Worth,” Ed Reiter, COINage

BEST ISSUE: COINage, January 2016, Ed Reiter, Senior Editor; Lynn Varon, Managing Editor

WORLD NUMISMATIC MAGAZINES

BEST ARTICLE OR SERIES OF ARTICLES:

Coins: “The Tribute Penny: The Denarius Debate Continues,” by Walter C. Holt and Rev. Peter R. Dunstan, Australasian Coin and Banknote Magazine

Tokens & Medals: “The Waterloo Medal,” Dr. K.A. Rodgers, Australasian Coin and Banknote Magazine

Paper Money: “The Great Portuguese Banknote Scam,” by Dr. K.A. Rodgers, Australasian Coin and Banknote Magazine

BEST COLUMN: “From A to Z,” Bob Reis, World Coin News

BEST ISSUE: Coin News, April 2016, John W. Mussell, Managing Editor

NON-PROFIT OR CLUB NUMISMATIC PUBLICATIONS

BEST ARTICLE, LARGE PUBLICATIONS: “Family Feud,” Jim Wells, The Numismatist

BEST COLUMN, LARGE PUBLICATIONS: “Market Whimsy,” Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker, The Numismatist

EXTRAORDINARY MERIT: “Archives,” David Hill, ANS Magazine

EXTRAORDINARY MERIT: “USA Coin Album,” David W. Lange The Numismatist

BEST ISSUE, LARGE PUBLICATIONS: The Numismatist, October 2015, Barbara Gregory, Editor

BEST ARTICLE, SMALL PUBLICATIONS: “Anti-Semitic Bigotry as Chronicled by Historical Medals,” Benjamin Weiss, Ph.D., The Shekel

BEST COLUMN, SMALL PUBLICATIONS: “Introduction by the Editor,” Harry E. Salyards, Penny Wise

BEST ISSUE, SMALL PUBLICATIONS: The Asylum, April-June 2015, Numismatic Bibliomania Society, Elizabeth Hahn Benge, Editor

NUMISMATIC NEWSPAPERS

BEST SPOT NEWS STORY OR CONTINUING COVERAGE OF DEVELOPING STORY IN NUMISMATICS: “Doubled-Die 2015 Cent Identified,” Ken Potter, Numismatic News

BEST ARTICLE OR SERIES OF ARTICLES:

Coins: “British Immigrant Designs Silver Dollar,” R.W. Julian, Numismatic News

Tokens & Medals: “Horn Medal Not for Military Exploits,” R.W. Julian, Numismatic News

Paper Money: “500 Escudos’ Dubious History,” Kerry Rodgers, Bank Note Reporter

BEST COLUMN: “Notes From Washington,” Peter Huntoon, Bank Note Reporter

BEST ISSUE: Numismatic News, Jan. 5, 2016, Dave Harper, Editor

NON-NUMISMATIC PUBLICATIONS

THE MAURICE M. GOULD MEMORIAL AWARD, BEST COLUMN: “Money Talk,” Frank J. Colletti, Lost Treasure Magazine

BEST ARTICLE: “Treasury Moves to Redesign $10 Bill, Add Portrait of an American Woman,” Mike Fuljenz, The Examiner, Southeast Texas

ONLINE NEWS WEB SITES

BEST ONLINE SPOT NEWS STORY:  “How the Royal Mint Is Attempting to Redefine ‘Legal Tender’,” Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker, CoinWeek.com

BEST WEB SITE COIN ARTICLE:  “The Pogue Family Coin Collection,” Greg Reynolds, CoinWeek.com

BEST WEBSITE TOKEN AND MEDAL ARTICLE: “Emancipatory Day Token: Sarah Ann Proud,” Matthew Wittmann, anspocketchange.org

BEST WEB SITE PAPER MONEY ARTICLE: “When Policy Overrules Purity: Briscoe vs. Bank of Kentucky,” Robert Korver, NumiStorica.com

BEST WEB SITE COLUMN: “Classic U.S. Coins for Less Than $500 Each,” Greg Reynolds,” CoinWeek.com

BEST ONLINE NEWS WEB SITE: CoinWeek, Charles Morgan, Editor; Hubert Walker, Assistant Editor; Scott Purvis, Webmaster

INTERNET AWARDS

BEST DEALER WEB SITE: www.HA.com, Heritage Auctions, Paul Minshull, Michael Weems, Brian Shipman, Ryan Sokol and Stewart Huckaby

BEST NON-TRADE-PRESS WEB SITE: NumiStorica, Robert Korver, Webmaster and Publisher

BEST INTERNET BLOG: pcgsblog.com, Professional Coin Grading Service, Ron Guth, Blogger

BEST NON-NUMISMATIC PRESS WEB SITE: SET Investigates, Beaumont, Texas. Jerry Jordan, Webmaster and Publisher

BEST SOFTWARE: PCGS Apps for Mobile Phones, Professional Coin Grading Service, Don Willis, Creator

AUCTION CATALOGS

BEST AUCTION CATALOG, COINS AND CURRENCY: “The D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part III, February 2016,” Stack’s Bowers Galleries

Extraordinary Merit: “The Eugene H. Gardner Collection, Part III,” May 2015, Heritage Auctions

Extraordinary Merit: “The Tom Reynolds Collection, Part I,” January 2016, Ira & Larry Goldberg

BEST AUCTION CATALOG, BOOKS AND EXONUMIA: “The 2016 New York Book Auction,” January 2016, Kolbe & Fanning

COMMERCIAL PUBLICATIONS

LEE MARTIN FOUNDER’S AWARD for Best Investment Newsletter: Maurice H. Rosen, The Rosen Numismatic Advisory

BEST DEALER-PUBLISHED MAGAZINE OR NEWSPAPER: Patrick A. Heller, Liberty’s Outlook

PORTFOLIO

BEST ALL-AROUND PORTFOLIO: Greg Reynolds

AUDIO-VISUAL

BEST RADIO REPORT: -TIE – “The Coin Show,” Mike Fuljenz, KLVI 560, Beaumont, Texas and “Things You ‘Know’ That Just Aren’t So,” Patrick A. Heller, 1320 WILS-AM, Lansing, Michigan

BEST NON-BROADCAST AUDIO REPORT: “Why It’s Important to Recognize the Greatness of American Women,” Charles Morgan, CoinWeek Podcast

BEST TELEVISION REPORT: “Faces of Currency,” Scott Travers and Andrew Schmertz, Arise TV

BEST NON-COMMERCIAL VIDEO: “Numismatic Vienna,” Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker, CoinWeek

BEST COMMERCIAL VIDEO: “How Gold Coins Are Made: Spotlight on the Vienna Philharmonic Gold Coin,” Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker, CoinWeek

MEMORIAL AWARDS

JAMES L. MILLER MEMORIAL AWARD: Charles Morgan & Hubert Walker, CoinWeek.com, “Confronting Breen”

CLEMENT F. BAILEY MEMORIAL AWARD, BEST NEW WRITER:  Lara Fabian, ANS Magazine

THE RIBBIT:  Michael Ray Fuljenz

THE CLEMY:  Mark Borckardt

To read the complete article, see:

Results of Annual Writers’ Competition for 2016

(www.nlgonline.org/awards/annual-writers-competition/results-of-annual-writers-competition-for-2016/)

Whitman Publishing issued an update to their press release published last week on Coin Update and republished in The E-Sylum to add Ron Guth as one of the Whitman authors honored by NLG.
-Editor

Ron Guth: “Extraordinary Merit, World Coins,” for 100 Greatest Women on Coins—number 10 in Whitman’s “100 Greatest” series—a beautifully illustrated volume about the long history of women featured on coinage, with the author’s advice on how anyone today can assemble a remarkable and meaningful collection.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NLG HONORS SEVEN WHITMAN PUBLISHING AUTHORS

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n33a02.html)

NEWMAN NUMISMATIC PORTAL WINS NLG AWARDS

Newman Numismatic Portal Project Coordinator Len Augsburger submitted this note on the recent Newman awards presented at the NLG Bash at the recent American Numismatic Association World's Fair of Money.
-Editor

The Newman Portal was honored by the Numismatic Literary Guild (NLG) at the 2016 ANA convention with the first-ever Coin Dealer Newsletter (CDN) Educational Award. CDN principal John Feigenbaum presented the award to the Newman Portal in recognition of the Portal’s role in centralizing thousands of numismatic documents into an online database.

Separately, the Eric Newman biography, Truth Seeker: The Life of Eric P. Newman,  published by Ivy Press, won Book of the Year honors from the NLG at the same event. This award recognizes the work having the greatest potential impact on numismatics. This is co-author Roger Burdette’s fifth such award, and the second for co-authors Joel Orosz and Len Augsburger.

Full list of NLG award winners at the 2016 ANA:

www.nlgonline.org/awards/annual-writers-competition/results-of-annual-writers-competition-for-2016

Ordering information for the Eric Newman biography:

https://www.ha.com/newman

NEW BOOK: SCANDINAVIAN NUMISMATIC BIBLIOGRAPHY, 3RD ED.

Morten Eske Mortensen submitted this announcement of the availability of the 3rd edition of his Scandinavian numismatic bibliography.  Thanks.
-Editor

The brand new version 3.0 (2016) of the most comprehensive ever published Scandinavian numismatic bibliography will go to the printers in September 2016.
.

The bibliography now includes 21.000 titles of numismatic books, booklets and articles written in numismatic magazines concerning Danish, Norwegian and Swedish numismatics in the last 400 years, 1615-2013.

A bibliography of this size and scope thus comes paper printed in 3 full volumes totalling 1.250 pages in A4 size. Due to the risk of piracy no electronic files will be available.
A special web page for the project has been created with many demo pages at this link

http://numisbooks.dk/info/demodatabankCatalogueOfTheMEMlibrary1615-2013.htm

.

Pre-paid orders are now taken from serious bibliophiles and professional numismatists around the world.
The author has the opinion, it is the users of a book, who shall pay the production costs of the book – it is not the author.
Write for price information, freight cost, availability, further details etcetera to the author, Morten Eske Mortensen from Copenhagen at

mem at image.dk

NEW BOOK: THE ECUADOR REGISTER PART IV: 50 SUCRES

Author Victor Holden forwarded this press release about the new edition in his series on the paper money of Ecuador. Thanks.
-Editor

'THE ECUADOR REGISTER - AN ONGOING CENSUS OF THE BANKNOTES OF THE BANCO CENTRAL DEL ECUADOR ISSUED FROM 1928 TO 1980 (plus Listings for the post-1980 Issues not included in the Census)' - PART IV : 50 SUCRES

Full names of Signatories, where known, number of notes issued for each Date, Series and Signature Combination, together with URS ratings and all known Varieties and Errors.

EXTRA : APPENDIX - Monochrome scans of all notes in the author's Collection.

Victor S. HOLDEN, 79 pages with comb binding, published by the author, Hong Kong, China, June 2016. List price US$50 (incl. S&H) available from the author at ecuadormanhk at yahoo.com.hk; payment via either PayPal (preferred) or Western Union (please ask for details).

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: THE ECUADOR REGISTER PART 1: 5 SUCRES

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n25a04.html)

NEW BOOK: THE ECUADOR REGISTER PART II

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n02a02.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 1849: The Philadelphia Mint Strikes Gold
---Winner of the Numismatic Literary Guild's 2016 "Best Specialized Book" award for U.S. Coins. Michael Moran and Jeff Garrett chronicle the trials and tribulations of the U.S. Mint in the first half of the 19th century and the tremendous impact that the 1848 discovery of gold in California had upon the Mint and the nation as a whole. 352 pages, hardcover, richly illustrated, $49.95. Call 1-800-546-2995 or order online
at
Whitman.com
.

BOOK REVIEW: TRUTH SEEKER: LIFE OF ERIC P. NEWMAN

Bill Eckberg published a review of the new biography of Eric Newman in the July 2016 issue of Penny-Wise, the official publication of Early American Coppers, Inc.  With permission, here is an excerpt.
-Editor

TRUTH SEEKER: THE LIFE OF ERIC P. NEWMAN

This new book, written by Leonard Augsburger, Roger Burdette and Joel Orosz and edited
by James Halperin, tells the story of the first 104 years of Eric Newman’s remarkable life and
numismatic history. Specialists in half and large cents might not be familiar with the huge
footprint Newman has left on earlier American copper coinage. In a single decade from the late
1940s to the late 1950s, he produced not one or two, but THREE definitive works in the field:
Varieties of the Fugio Cent (1949), Coinage for Colonial Virginia (1949), and The Secret of the
Good Samaritan Shilling (1959). In 1967 he produced The Early Paper Money of America, still
in print, still the definitive reference on the subject, and now in its 5th edition. With Ken Bressett,
he authored The Fantastic 1804 Dollar in 1962, demonstrating once and for all that even the
“original” 1804 dollars are fantasy pieces struck much later than the date they carry. EACers
should all be familiar with his incredible collections that have been offered at auction over the
past several years, including a significant part of the “Missouri Cabinet,” the finest collection of
half cents ever auctioned. EAC members who were lucky enough to attend the 2007 convention
in St. Louis were treated to an early look at Newman’s Money Museum on the campus of
Washington University.

The story begins with his early life, including meeting Evelyn, who would be the love of his
life and his wife from 1939-2015 when she passed away at 95. He worked as a lawyer for the
Edison Brothers Stores until his retirement in 1987, and he continues to be active in numismatics
at [105] years young. The book chronicles his interactions with a number of famous numismatists,
including Wayte Raymond, F.C.C. Boyd, John J. Ford, Jr., Q. David Bowers, Walter Breen, Don
Taxay, George Fuld, Kenneth Bressett, John W. Adams, and many others.

As a young lawyer, he came under the wing of St. Louis coin dealer Burdette Johnson.
Together, they worked out an “arrangement” to purchase as much of the numismatic estate of
“Col.” E.H.R. Green as they could. It’s a fascinating story, and I won’t give it away, how a
young lawyer managed to put together at little cost one of the finest collections of American
coins and currency ever assembled. Do you want to know EXACTLY when the Missouri
Cabinet got its start? It’s in there. Newman’s involvement in that cabinet was kept so quiet that
even McCawley and Grellman didn’t know about it until the day the collection was consigned to
them for auction!

Newman’s fame in the broader field of U.S. numismatics comes from his application of a
more rigorous, scholarly and scientific approach than had been previously known in numismatic
research. He relied on contemporary documentation, for sure, but mostly he studied the coins and
other items to find out what they, themselves, could tell him. His early research proved that both
the Good Samaritan Shilling and the 1804 U.S. dollar were fantasy pieces. (Newman never
owned an 1804 dollar, because he wanted to collect only genuine coins.) Later he had a severe
falling-out with his former friend, the coin dealer John J. Ford, Jr., who had quite a business in
the ‘50s and ‘60s selling previously unknown gold bars that were purported to come from old
Mexico and the American west, most of which Newman denounced as fakes. Decades later, the
courts agreed with Newman, finding that they were instead produced on Long Island in the 20th
century. You will probably be amazed at the names of the prominent numismatists of the time
who had significant financial interests in these fakes.

I think Augsburger et al. titled the book Truth Seeker because that’s what Eric Newman is.
His ethics are impeccable. He follows the evidence where it goes and, remarkably, has never had
a financial interest in any of his research. He has given away his entire collection to the Eric P.
Newman Numismatic Education Society foundation for the education of numismatists of today
and tomorrow. His quest for truth and ethics was not limited to numismatics, either. In 1961, as
President of the A.N.A., he wrote the Biltmore Hotel in Atlanta that he would not be
participating in the ANA convention if African-American members would not be served at the
banquet. The hotel relented. He continues to be an inspiration to us all, and this book does him
credit.

Eric Newman remains a current EAC member, with number 2577.

For more information about Early American Coppers, see:

http://eacs.org/

BOOK REVIEW: CURIOUS CURRENCY

Young Numismatist ShriekenGriffon posted a book review on the American Numismatic association blog pages August 17, 2016.  Nice job!
-Editor

Hello! Today I am doing a little book review for a book called  Curious Currency: The Story of Money From the Stone Age to the Internet Age. The book is by Robert D. Leonard Jr. and is a synopsis of all the kinds of items and things that have been used to purchase and exchange for goods and to determine wealth. In other words: money. The chapters are 1) What is Money?, 2) Raw Materials, 3) Useful Articles, 4) Ornaments, 5) Customary Objects, and 6) Money Substitutes.

Chapter 2 discusses all the things such as rocks and gold, etc that have been used. One of the more odd things in this chapter is the British iron currency bars that weighed almost a pound. Chapter 3 has agricultural items, tools, drugs, pelts and skins, and spices. A funnier thing in this book is that Russian teachers in the Altai region were paid 15 bottles of Vodka a year when there was a currency shortage in 1998. Chapter 4 is about beads mainly, but also rings, necklaces, and arm and anklets. The oddest thing in here for me is the hippo teeth beads that are about 1 ½ inches wide and about 3 inches tall.

Chapter 5 has things such as nonwearable rings, odd shaped metal bars and rings, metal weapons, coins, animal parts, and human skulls.  The weirdest thing in here for me is between the woodpecker scalps and elephant tails. Chapter 6 is all about paper money, checks, playing card money, wooden nickels, gambling tokens , and much more. The weirdest thing in here is clam shell money used in the 1930's.

Now that I gave away the book (hehe) I will give my opinion. The book is $13 so it's a bit cheaper or you can get your library to buy since, again, its cheaper. It is also 124 pages so it's pretty short but the font is bigger than most books and there are also a lot of visuals. The book is also put into sections so you with a limited amount of time to read, you can have a stopping place every minute or two.

Most of us coin and paper money collectors (money collectors) don't often stop and think to find out about all the other materials that have or are serving as money. That is where this book comes in. Here you get pulled into the world of... world currency. You learn about stuff never heard of to most people. The pictures are also great and interesting.

I hope you have now considered this book for your personal library.

To read the complete article, see:

BOOK REVIEW! AGAIN!

(/www.money.org/collector/shriekengriffon/blog/book-review-again-)

DAVID SUNDMAN'S RED BOOK RECOLLECTIONS

Coin Update has been running a series dedicated to the history of Whitman Publishing’s "Red Book", taken from Frank Colletti's  A Guide Book of the Official Red Book of United States . Here's an excerpt from the latest article with David Sundman of Littleton Coin Company.
-Editor

Our fourth narrative comes from David M. Sundman, President of Littleton Coin Company, Red Book contributor, and co-author of 100 Greatest American Currency Notes. He received the ANA’s Harry J. Forman Dealer of the Year Award in July of this year.

In the 1950s my father, Maynard Sundman, was frequently visited by dealers from New York City and Boston, who would drive to New Hampshire to visit and hopefully to sell coins. My father liked mixtures, and Littleton often sold mixtures of tokens and medals in cigar-box assortments to our customers. We had some regular suppliers of these, as well as U.S. and world coins. Usually mixtures were sold unsorted, but sometimes we’d break them down by categories and retail the better individual coins. They would range from low-denomination base-metal foreign coins to tokens of the world, with some U.S. issues tossed in as well, principally Hard Times tokens and Civil War cents, often damaged or well worn. Sometime around 1956 or so, while accompanying my dad one weekend to work at our then-small family stamp-and-coin business, I came to really appreciate the Guide Book and the importance of reading it—or at least recalling images of its contents, if not actual values.

Being curious, I liked to rummage through the mixtures my father had just purchased. It was really a treasure hunt—you never knew what you would discover. Even if the values were low, the coins and tokens were really interesting, and it was educational to see which ones I could identify. It also was a source of pride to an eight-year-old when I made a “discovery.”

One particular Saturday morning while I was plowing through a pile of coins from one of these mixtures, I recognized a U.S. token I thought was better than the others—as it was listed in the Guide Book. It was a (1792) undated WASHINGTON BORN VIRGINIA cent in Fine condition. At the time it cataloged for $75, but in actuality it would have sold for more.

This was my first good coin “find.” In hindsight, I can see that this really got me excited about coins and doubtless instilled a desire to follow my father’s profession someday. As an eight-year-old, the idea of finding valuable coins was quite exciting (and still is)! Partly as encouragement to ensure we went to work with him, and partly so we stayed out of our mother’s hair on Saturdays, my father would pay my brother Rick and later Don (born 1954) and me 10 percent of the Guide Book value for any better coins that we found in our searches. So the WASHINGTON BORN VIRGINIA cent coin meant a $7.50 “finder’s fee” to me, which was then a small fortune—representing more than a year’s supply of comic books!

To read the complete article, see:

Red Book Recollections: David M. Sundman

(http://news.coinupdate.com/red-book-recollections-david-m-sundman/)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 21, 2016

 On Our 2,000 Subscriber Milestone
Andy Newman writes:

Congratulations on reaching 2,000 subscribers to The E-Sylum.  That's an amazing testament to the importance everyone puts on the hard work you pour into the publication.  Very impressive!!

Roger Siboni writes:

Just as I did at 1,000 followers, let me congratulate you on establishing and maintaining one of the first blogs I can remember. Before Instagram, before Twitter, before Facebook was funded..... Sometime after "The Well"....... Pretty amazing.

Thanks, everyone.  It's been a long road, but has worked out quite well.  I'm glad the publication is so well recieved - that's what keeps me going week after week.

NBS members should look for my article in the next issue of our print journal, The Asylum.  I reminisce about my history with numismatics and technology, and I was actually online and writing about coins even before "The Well" came along, and using the same software platform.  See the article for details.

I feel old.  I'm going to take a nap now.
-Editor

 Ordering The $2½ & $5 Gold Indians of Bela Lyon Pratt
Allan Schein writes:

 I have to compliment you on this week's newsletter. How you manage to compile so many details and bits of information while attending the ANA show is truly remarkable. My congratulations.

The show for me was probably the busiest I ever attended. So much running back and forth with regards to my new book, and visiting dealers so many of whom purchased copies. For me, sitting at the Central States table was great, but most dealers rarely get away from their tables for long. So paying them a visit allowed for many sales. I brought 101 books, including 17 hard cover editions, and went home with just one soft cover, retained for “show and tell”. And I still spent most of the day Sunday packing orders for those who did not want to schlepp around the 2-pounder until they returned home. I could not have wished for a better response based upon the praise and compliments doled out by literally everyone that bought or just saw it.

It is currently available on eBay at the following link:

www.ebay.com/itm/The-2-50-5-Gold-Indians-of-Bela-Lyon-Pratt-by-Allan-Schein-Gold-Indian-Book-/191945980550
.

We're all busy bees at these shows.  Congratulations to Allan for the great reception for his new book.   See the earlier E-Sylum articles for more information.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: THE GOLD INDIANS OF BELA LYON PRATT

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n31a07.html)

BOOK REVIEW: THE GOLD INDIANS OF BELA LYON PRATT

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n32a09.html)

 Currency of the Japanese Occupation of Malaya
Regarding Wong Hun Sum's book  The Japanese Occupation of Malaya (Singapore) and its Currency,

Paul Neumann writes:

I possess a copy of the 1st Edition. Within book there is a notice that 2500 of this volume were printed.
Mr Wong Hon Sum speaks English and would be ready to answer questions about the book.

Thank you.  I had asked for more information on this book after excerpting a short review in a November 10, 2016 E-Sylum article.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

BOOK REVIEW: JAPANESE OCCUPATION OF MALAYA (SINGAPORE) AND ITS CURRENCY

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v16n46a06.html)

 The Complete Guide To Collecting Composer Coins, 2nd Edition

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum