The E-Sylum v19#01 January 3, 2016

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jan 3 18:27:56 PST 2016

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 19, Number 01, January 3, 2016
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JANUARY 3, 2016
<#a01>
**
ASYLUM JULY-SEPTEMBER 2015 ISSUE PRINTING ERROR
<#a02>
**
KOLBE & FANNING 2016 NY BOOK AUCTION REMINDER
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: TRUTH SEEKER: THE LIFE OF ERIC P. NEWMAN
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: EARLY RUSSIAN COINS AND THEIR VALUES, VOL 1
<#a05>
**
DICK JOHNSON'S 2016 NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION
<#a06>
**
COLLECTORS DISCUSS NEWMAN NUMISMATIC PORTAL
<#a07>
**
VIRGINIA ISSUED $1,000 BILL, NOT CONGRESS
<#a08>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JANUARY 3, 2016
<#a09>
**
THE NUMISMATIC AND ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY OF PHILADELPHIA
<#a10>
**
MARK TWAIN COIN WILL BE BOON FOR MUSEUMS
<#a11>
**
MAURITIUS DAVID (1860-?)
<#a12>
**
EVENTS AT THE 2016 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL
<#a13>
**
FRAUNCES TAVERN MUSEUM
<#a14>
**
BEWARE POTENTIAL COUNTERFEIT CIVIL WAR TOKENS
<#a15>
**
THE COUNTERFEITING OF U.S. GOLD COINS AFTER WWII
<#a16>
**
1804 SILVER DOLLAR SIGHTINGS
<#a17>
**
THOUGHTS ON RARITY RATINGS
<#a18>
**
HANDLING COINAGE IN  SAN FRANCISCO IN 1885
<#a19>
**
THE RISE AND FALL OF THE FRANKLIN MINT
<#a20>
**
STUDY REVIEWS MEDAL OF FREEDOM AWARDEES
<#a21>
**
FRENCH POLICE DOG TO RECEIVE DICKIN MEDAL
<#a22>
**
SELECTIONS FROM STACKS BOWERS 2016 NYINC SALES
<#a23>
**
MORE ON 'WHAT ARE TOKENS?'
<#a24>
**
SMALL CHANGE USED MOSTLY BY ENSLAVED PEOPLES
<#a25>
**
GOLD PLATES AND COINS UNEARTHED IN CHINA
<#a26>
**
THE RARE NOTES OF LANAO PROVINCE, PHILIPPINES
<#a27>
**
1960 & 1963 GERMAN EMERGENCY BANK NOTES
<#a28>
**
BANKNOTE PRINTER DE LA RUE SAYS CASH IS STILL KING
<#a29>
**
CELEBRITY COLLECTOR: ACTOR MACKENZIE CROOK
<#a30>
**
THE AUSTRIAN NATIONAL LIBRARY
<#a31>
**
THE SOLOMON ISLANDS’ PIZZA COIN
<#a32>
**
TEEN FIRST AGAIN AT ROYAL AUSTRALIAN MINT IN 2016
<#a33>
**
NEW YEARS MEDALS
<#a34>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: CONDER TOKEN COLLECTOR'S CLUB
<#a35>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to
whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JANUARY 3, 2016

Happy New Year, everyone!
We now have 1,912 subscribers.

This week we open with a reminder about the upcoming Kolbe & Fanning numismatic literature sale, a preview of the new biography of Eric P. Newman, and one other new book.

Other topics include the New York International, Fraunces Tavern Museum, the Newman Numismatic Portal, dealer Mauritius David, potentially counterfeit Civil War Tokens, rarity ratings, the Franklin Mint, the Medal of Freedom, the latest Dickin Medal canine honoree, and the first coin struck in 2016.

To learn more about  Dick Johnson's Encyclopedia of Coin and Medal Technology, Swedish Private Bank Notes,  phantom 1804 Silver Dollar sightings, handling gold coinage in San Francisco in 1885, General Numismatics Corporation, the rare notes of Lanao Province, Philippines, the grandson of Emperor Wu, and the
Unpublished Transitional Hyperpyra of John III Vatatzes, read on.   Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

ASYLUM JULY-SEPTEMBER 2015 ISSUE PRINTING ERROR

Alan Luedeking writes:

I recently received my latest copy of The Asylum (Vol. 33, No. 3, Jul-Sep 2015), and now possess what every collector of rare, esoteric numismatic error literature can only dream about...not: An issue with a duplicated leaf, resulting in duplicated pages 75/76 and 85/86, and missing the leaf with pages 73/74 and 87/88. I wonder, am I the only one or did they all get bound that way? Not being a particularly assiduous collector of numismatic binding faux pas, I'd be happy to trade this pristine blundered copy for a normal copy, as I want to read the missing pages.

Well, I checked my copy and it does NOT have the error Alan describes.  Does any other Numismatic Bibliomania Society member have that problem?
Contact NBS Treasurer Terry White at

terrywhite5475 at yahoo.com
 and we'll work on getting you a replacement copy.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

ASYLUM JULY-SEPTEMBER 2015 ISSUE PUBLISHED

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n50a02.html)

KOLBE & FANNING 2016 NY BOOK AUCTION REMINDER

Here's a final reminder for next week's Kolbe & Fanning 2016 New York Book Auction, forwarded by David Fanning.   I'm planning to be at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel myself for an American Numismatic Society event.  Be sure to place your bids, or plan to bid live once the action starts.  Good luck, everyone!
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning will be conducting our 2016 New York Book Auction this Saturday, January 9, at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York in conjunction with the New York International Numismatic Convention. The sale features the celebrated RBW Library on Roman Republican coinage, as well as other properties pertaining to ancient, foreign and American numismatics. Over 450 lots are included in the sale, which can be viewed through our custom bidding platform at

auction.numislit.com, where absentee bids can be placed in advance and where bidders can participate in the sale live. The sale will begin at 12:30 p.m. eastern time, in the Norse Suite on the 18th Floor of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. Lot viewing will take place in the Library Suite, also located on the 18th Floor, beginning on Thursday morning.

As a reminder, any absentee bids sent by fax or post must be received in Kolbe & Fanning’s Ohio offices by Monday, January 4. Bids may be placed with David Fanning by email to

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum