The E-Sylum v19n44 October 30, 2016

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Oct 30 17:51:32 PDT 2016

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 19, Number 44, October 30, 2016
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 30, 2016
<#a01>
**
COIN BOOKS AT THE WHITMAN BALTIMORE EXPO
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: STANDARD CATALOG OF U.S. PAPER MONEY, 35TH ED.
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: BANKNOTES OF DESTINY
<#a04>
**
NEW PERIODICAL: NUMMUS CANADA
<#a05>
**
BOOKSELLERS: ARMENIAN COINAGE IN THE CLASSICAL PERIOD
<#a06>
**
KRAUSE PUBLICATIONS HISTORICAL MARKER UNVEILED
<#a07>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL DIGITIZES LEVICK RUBBINGS BOOK
<#a08>
**
WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: OCTOBER 30, 2016
<#a09>
**
DENNIS HENGEVELD ON NUMISMATIC LITERATURE
<#a10>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 30, 2016
<#a11>
**
VOCABULARY TERM: PROVING
<#a12>
**
FRANK C. BEREK (1886-?), AKA FRANK BRIGHTER
<#a13>
**
1838-O  HALF DOLLAR RESEARCH
<#a14>
**
NEIL SHAFER'S COIN SHOP TALES
<#a15>
**
RUSTY GOE'S SOUTHGATE COINS TO CLOSE
<#a16>
**
CERTIFICATES EXCHANGED FOR SILVER IN 1960S
<#a17>
**
THE BULLION CRISIS OF 2008
<#a18>
**
PODCAST: PAT HELLER ON MINT AND COIN MARKET
<#a19>
**
1987 NGC “BLACK LABEL” HOLDER SOLD
<#a20>
**
SLABBING ACID-TREATED DATELESS BUFFALO NICKELS
<#a21>
**
COIN COLLECTING AND LOSING VISION
<#a22>
**
NATIONAL COLLECTION ACQUIRES IBILL READER
<#a23>
**
ALTERNATIVE CURRENCIES IN ANCIENT ROMAN WORLD
<#a24>
**
WAR AGAINST COLLECTORS OF ANCIENT COINS
<#a25>
**
QUEEN ANNE 'VIGO' GOLD FIVE GUINEA FOUND
<#a26>
**
SOVEREIGN RE-CREATES ORIGINAL PISTRUCCI DESIGN
<#a27>
**
THE DEADWOOD RACKETEER NICKEL
<#a28>
**
SELECTED SCOTTISH BANKNOTES FROM PAM WEST
<#a29>
**
POLYMER BANKNOTE INK EASILY ERASED
<#a30>
**
IMAGES OF DENTISTRY ON PAPER MONEY
<#a31>
**
THAI KING'S DEATH BOOSTS NUMISMATIC SALES
<#a32>
**
VIDEO: TIME-LAPSE RESHELVING AT NYPL
<#a33>
**
THE ANTHROPODERMIC BOOK PROJECT
<#a34>
**
M. L. BEISTLE AND THE BEISTLE COMPANY
<#a35>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: ORIENTAL NUMISMATIC SOCIETY
<#a36>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 30, 2016

New subscribers this week include:
Michael Rae,
Philip de Jersey, and
William Waychison.
Welcome aboard! We now have 2,031 subscribers.

This week we open with updates on the Whitman Baltimore Expo, two new books and one new periodical.
Other topics this week include J. N. T. Levick's Book of Rubbings, counterfeiter Frank Berek, M. L. Beistle, the 1838-O half dollar, Neil Shafer's coin shop tales, silver certificate redemptions, NGC "Black Label" holders, the Vigo gold five guinea, and Scottish banknotes old and new.

Time and space are the only things keeping me from including more great topics - there are some wonderful numismatic articles in recent publications such as  The Numismatist , ANS Magazine and The MCA Advisory. If you're not already a member of the American Numismatic Association, the American Numismatic Society or the Medal Collectors of America, consider joining!

To learn more about Banknotes of Destiny, Nummus Canada, the Krause Publications historical marker, the Newman Numismatic Portal scanning center,  Furioso plates, George F. Kuntz' Lusitania voyage, coin collecting sans vision,   Pistrucci’s St. George and the Dragon, the Deadwood Racketeer Nickel and anthropodermic bibliopegy, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

COIN BOOKS AT THE WHITMAN BALTIMORE EXPO

Numismatic literature dealer Charles Davis writes:

I will be at the Whitman Baltimore show Thursday November 3 - Saturday November 5.  My booth (No. 1062-1063) has moved slightly from the usual spot against the back wall to the side wall nearby.

In addition to Neil Musante’s new work Medallic Washington, we will have a large number of new and recent titles published in the United Kingdom at a substantial 30-50% discount helped by the slumping £ Sterling.  The November Baltimore is one of the best shows in the country and is extremely active in conjunction with the C-4 convention.

Author David Lange writes:

I'll have my PennyBoard Press books for sale at the Baltimore show.  I may be found at the NGC booth.

For more information on Dave's books, see:

www.coincollectingboards.com

Dave Lange's books include: Coin Collecting Boards of the 1930s & 1940s: A Complete History, Catalog and Value Guide, and Coin Collecting Albums - A Complete History , Volumes 1 and 2.

Neil and Dave's books are amazing high-quality productions.
Be sure to visit Charlie and Dave at the show to see these in person and pick up copies.
-Editor

NEW BOOK: STANDARD CATALOG OF U.S. PAPER MONEY, 35TH ED.

Krause Publications has released the 35th edition of Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money.
-Editor

The 35th edition of the Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money, by Maggie Judkins, editor, and William Brandimore, market analyst, is now available.

Featured in this invaluable catalog are more than 1,000 color note images, essential descriptions and real-world values in up to four grades for:

 Large- and small-size notes since 1861;

 Gold and Silver Certificates;

 National Bank Note by type;

 Pre-Civil War Treasury notes;

 Postage and Fractional Currency;

 Military Payment Certificates; and

 Error notes.

Perfect for novice and expert collectors alike, the Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money stands alone. No other reference contains the vast amount of images, type listings and price values as found here.

The 6” by 9” 480-page soft cover book retails for $32 (SKU R1313) from www.ShopNumisMaster.com.

For more information, or to order, see:

Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money, 35th Edition

(www.shopnumismaster.com/standard-catalog-of-united-states-paper-money-35th-edition)

To read the complete article, see:

SCUSPM in 35th edition

(www.numismaticnews.net/article/scuspm-35th-edition)

NEW BOOK: BANKNOTES OF DESTINY

This article from the Jordan Times describes a new book on the banknotes of Arab nations.
-Editor

Researcher Ibrahim Salem has turned a 40-year hobby of collecting banknotes into a wide-ranging book documenting the history of Arab nations.

Salem, who describes banknotes as “the history of countries trapped in papers”, on Saturday launched “Banknotes of Destiny”, a book chronicling the major historical figures who have appeared on currencies and had an impact on their people and the modern world.

“In Jordan, we have five banknote denominations in current circulation. My collection has more than 500 Jordanian banknotes,” he told The Jordan Times.

Salem’s collection includes stock bonds, coins and the fees collected by governments at different times, as well as an archive of driving licences from different historical periods, manuscripts, maps, pictures of traditional costumes and passports from all over the world.

Salem has also accumulated a collection of all the Palestinian banknotes ever released, including the Palestinian 100 pound note.

The notes tell the story of the British mandate in Jordan and Palestine and the Israeli occupation of Palestine, he said.

“These banknotes are not for Ibrahim Salem, they are for the children of martyrs, and they are not to be sold no matter what. When I say martyrs, I do not only mean Palestinian martyrs, but all Arab countries,” he added.

The author says he is the first to analyse banknotes in this way, adding that most banknotes were released to commemorate events.

“I read history from my own perspective; what is mentioned in the [book] is from several sources and references,” he said..”

Salem, an architect by trade, says design has always been his first passion, but he wrote this book “to document events, figures and movements across the world, without expressing my personal opinion at any point".

"All the political and social figures that appeared on banknotes must have done something for their people, whether good or bad,” he said, warning that “those who do not read their history, do not know their future”.

The article does not indicate where the book can be purchased.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

Author says banknotes reveal stories, history of nations

(www.jordantimes.com/news/local/author-says-banknotes-reveal-stories-history-nations)

NEW PERIODICAL: NUMMUS CANADA

Trajan Media is launching a new digital numismatic magazine. Here's the press release.
-Editor

Trajan Media, the publisher of Canadian Coin News, is launching a digital numismatic magazine, Nummus Canada.

The new publication will be published every second month in both English and French, a first in Canadian numismatics.

“We’re hoping that this publication will help us reach an even bigger audience of money collectors,” said Mike Walsh, publisher of the new magazine, “and we’re quite happy that we were able to get an award-winning editorial team to lead this new venture.”

The award-winning editorial team he speaks of is Serge Pelletier and Steve Woodland, who, with Ron Cheek, were behind the extremely successful publication of the Ottawa Numismatic Society, moneta, which won three “Best Local Newsletter” awards from the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association and three first places in the “Outstanding Local Publication” contest of the American Numismatic Association, and this in the four years it was published.

“I’m excited to be back in an editor’s seat,” said Pelletier who is the editor of the new publication, “and I hope that our team, like in the past, will be able to provide great content for beginning and advanced collectors alike.”

While distributed electronically, Nummus Canada is designed as if it were a paper magazine and will be downloadable in PDF format. It will be launched at the end of the year.

Pelletier says the content in Nummus Canada will be different than the popular articles already featured in CCN.

The popular Trends section in CCN will not be included in  Nummus Canada.

Serge Pelletier reports that the subscription price for Nummus Canada will be $20/year.
-Editor

For more information keep an eye on Canadian Coin News website at

www.canadiancoinnews.com.

  THE BOOK BAZARRE
 SELECTIONS FROM THE JOHN HUFFMAN LIBRARY: Browse and Shop Approximately 3,000 Numismatic Books from the Respected Library
 of John Huffman—All Books Recently Discounted 40%. Click here or go to
 www.SecondStorybooks.com click on “All Subjects” and select “John Huffman Collection”

BOOKSELLERS: ARMENIAN COINAGE IN THE CLASSICAL PERIOD

Author Frank Kovacs submitted this note about distributors of his new book on Armenian Coinage in the Classical Period.  Thanks.
-Editor

Frank L. Kovacs, Armenian Coinage in the Classical Period. 2016.

Classical Numismatic Studies No. 10. Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, Inc.

Hardbound with dust jacket. 142 total pp., consisting of 25 pages of introductory material, 57
pages of coin catalog listings, and 34 plates of over 350 photographed coins.

The need for a revised and updated reference for ancient Armenian coins has been evident for many
years. Publication has lagged, while long-standing misattributions have hampered the best efforts of
classical historians. Armenian Coinage in the Classical Period addresses these problems, and presents
many recent discoveries of previously unknown coins. Included are Sophene, Armenia Major,
Commagene, Armenia Minor, and coins issued under Seleucid, Parthian, or Roman domination as well as
contemporaneous pseudo-autonomous issues. The period covered is from earliest known issues of
Arsames of Sophene, after ca. 255 BC, through the reign of Tiridates II, AD 217-252. Kovacs attributes
or re-attributes coins to kings and queens to whom no coins were previously assigned, and identifies new
dating eras and mints, and removes non-Armenian coins, fakes, and fantasies from the corpus.

ORDERS

North America:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/charles_davis/44/product/kovacs_armenian_coinage_in_the_classical_period/678437/Default.aspx

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=316022

Europe:

https://www.ma-shops.de/jacquier/item.php5?id=2538

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: ARMENIAN COINAGE IN THE CLASSICAL PERIOD

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n32a06.html)

KRAUSE PUBLICATIONS HISTORICAL MARKER UNVEILED

This short Numismatic News article is about a new historical marker in Iola, WI marking the first permanent home of numismatic publisher Krause Publications.
-Editor

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum