The E-Sylum v21n06 February 11, 2018

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Feb 11 18:51:06 PST 2018

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 21, Number 06, February 11, 2018
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM FEBRUARY 11, 2018
<#a01>
**
NEW BOOK: IRISH TAVERN TOKENS, 2017 EDITION
<#a02>
**
BOOK: CHATS ABOUT OLD INVOICES
<#a03>
**
NEW PERIODICAL: CPG MARKET REVIEW
<#a04>
**
BOOK REVIEW: THE SILVER OF FAIRYLAND
<#a05>
**
NGC UPDATES COUNTERFEIT DETECTION RESOURCE
<#a06>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS SCRIP TALK
<#a07>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS TAX TOKEN NEWSLETTER
<#a08>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL SEARCH: ROBINSON HARTFORD
<#a09>
**
VISUAL SEARCH FOR NUMISMATICS?
<#a10>
**
PICTURED ROCKS QUARTER LAUNCHED
<#a11>
**
BETH DEISHER, COIN WORLD, AND JOURNALIST ETHICS
<#a12>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: FEBRUARY 11, 2018
<#a13>
**
MORE ON THE STONE MOUNTAIN COUNTERMARKS
<#a14>
**
RUSTED RUPEES AND THE ROYAL MINT'S STEEL COINS
<#a15>
**
GENDER NUMISMATICS WORKSHOP
<#a16>
**
CSNS SCHEDULES SEXUAL HARASSMENT SPEAKER
<#a17>
**
CSNS CONVENTION HOTEL ALMOST SOLD OUT
<#a18>
**
VOCABULARY TERMS: DIE CAVITY, HIGH POINT
<#a19>
**
STANISLAUS VINCENT HENKELS (1854-1926)
<#a20>
**
HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PARTS 10-11
<#a21>
**
TREASURY LAW ENFORCEMENT ON STRANGE INHERITANCE
<#a22>
**
WHAT HAVE YOU FOUND IN OLD BOOKS?
<#a23>
**
FRED HOLABIRD'S TUCSON GOLD RUSH EXHIBIT
<#a24>
**
ARCHIVES INTERNATIONAL SALE 47
<#a25>
**
NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: FEBRUARY 11, 2018
<#a26>
**
MARK ANTONY’S LEGIONARY DENARIUS
<#a27>
**
MUSLIM COIN FEATURES MENORAH SYMBOL
<#a28>
**
ARCHEOLOGY AS A POLITICAL WEAPON
<#a29>
**
MORE IMAGES OF ISIS COINAGE
<#a30>
**
HAS THE UNFAKABLE POUND COIN BEEN FAKED?
<#a31>
**
1904 ST. LOUIS OLYMPIC PARTICIPATION MEDAL
<#a32>
**
THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPIC MEDALS
<#a33>
**
UKRAINE'S 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS HOLOGRAPHIC COIN
<#a34>
**
1912 WOMEN'S HUNGER STRIKE MEDAL
<#a35>
**
VIDEO: STRIKING THE WOMEN'S SUFFRAGE 50 PENCE
<#a36>
**
HISTORIC BANK OF ENGLAND PAPER MILL DESTROYED
<#a37>
**
NIGERIAN ARTIST DRAWS BANKNOTES
<#a38>
**
SRI LANKA'S NEW DIVERSITY BANKNOTE
<#a39>
**
MALAWI PRAYS PEOPLE WILL STOP ABUSING BANKNOTES
<#a40>
**
BELGIAN STATUE SOAKS UP KNOWLEDGE
<#a41>
**
IN OTHER NEWS: FEBRUARY 11, 2018
<#a42>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: ORIENTAL COINS DATABASE
<#a43>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM FEBRUARY 11, 2018

New subscribers this week include:
Steve Cawood, courtesy of David Schenkman,
 Richard Mountain, courtesy of Jim Contursi,
Lilian Guerra,  and
Richard Wefering.
Welcome aboard! We now have 3,684 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription with your compliments. Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

This week we open with two books, a new periodical, one review, and updates to the NGC and Newman Numismatic Portal web sites.
Other topics this week include tax tokens, Alfred S. Robinson, visual search, the Pictured Rocls quarter launch, the Royal Mint's steel coins, die cavities and high points, the Legionary denarius, menorahs on Muslin coins, hunger strike medals, and Olympic medals, coins and tokens.

To learn more about Irish tavern tokens, the Silver of Fairyland, the top world counterfeits,  coal company scrip and tokens, U.S. Mint Sculptor-Engraver Michael Gaudioso, Royal Mint history, the Anti-Corn Law League medal, Sri Lanka's Diversity banknote and gender numismatics, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: IRISH TAVERN TOKENS, 2017 EDITION

Ronan Fitzpatrick of the Numismatic Society of Ireland submitted this information about a book the group published last year: Irish Tavern Tokens by Gerard Rice.  Thank you!
-Editor

The Numismatic Society of Ireland has
received permission from Fr. Gerry Rice
to publish a full colour and hardback
edition of Irish Tavern Tokens . The
2013 edition is the result of many years
research based on the John Sweeney
collection of tavern tokens which has
been supplemented by tokens from
other collections. The result is the
most comprehensive publication of
Irish tavern tokens to date and it
brings new dimensions to the study
of this branch of numismatics.
Following its softback publication
in 2013 the book has become the
definitive source for these tokens
and is cited by leading auction
houses and researchers.

Irish Tavern Tokens is written for numismatists, be they collectors or students of the subject, and it illustrates 350 examples from a catalogue of over 400 Irish
tavern tokens. Most were struck by the company controlled by John Craig Parkes at the Coombe in Dublin. Individual tokens are fully described and are cross-referenced to other
popular tavern token catalogues. When known, the provenance of an individual token is listed. Each piece, including the issuing proprietor, has been carefully researched and
recorded and where a ‘social context’ is understood, that too is included, making the finished volume a comprehensive commentary on the licensed trade as evidenced by the
tavern tokens of post-famine Dublin. For easy reference the book includes an index of types, an index of places and an index of issuers.

The publication price of the book is €39.00 and it is being offered to the trade and bulk buyers at a discounted price of 3 for €90.00, 6 for €180 or 9 for €270. There is no VAT on books

Postage is available to any destination worldwide (at cost). All orders dispatched within 48 hours

This updated hardback colour edition of Irish Tavern Tokens was launched at the May 2017 meeting of the Numismatic Society of Ireland. Half of the print run was presold.  Supplies are
limited and when they are gone, that’s it!

Description
Full colour hardback; xii; 113p; 25cm; ISBN 978-0-902605-02-2
This special edition is hardbound in a black cover with silver foil lettering on front and spine. Printed on gloss paper.

Citation
RICE, G. (2017) Irish Tavern Tokens: The John Sweeney Collection supplemented by other collections, with a supplement by Garry Byrne, Numismatic Society of Ireland & National Museum of Ireland, Collins Barracks, Dublin.

Irish Tavern Tokens is jointly published by the Numismatic Society of Ireland and The National Museum of Ireland, Collins Barracks and is recommended as an essential reference for all Irish numismatics libraries

Since the first edition of the book was published, additional tavern tokens have come to light, mainly through auctions at eBay, Whyte’s and Dix Noonan Webb (DNW) and a very small number in private collections. Some of these were published in the Numismatic Society of Ireland’s (NSI) Bulletin.

These new tokens are now combined with examples from Barry Woodside’s (BW) website of Tavern Tokens, where he uses Todd reference numbers, and are presented here as the First Supplement to the original catalogue.

The Supplement was written by Garry Byrne and is divided into two parts – Additions to the Catalogue and a   Descriptions Supplement. In the Additions to the Catalogue new tokens not listed originally in the catalogue are illustrated, numbered and described with information that is now available. New and additional details relating to tokens already listed in the catalogue are presented in the Descriptions Supplement.

As noted, the book is priced at 39 euros plus packing and postage, and discounts are available for multiple copies.  Please contact Gregory Carley at

gregorycarley at gmail.com
 for ordering information.
-Editor

To view Barry Woodside’s Tavern Tokens, see:

http://www.irish-tokens.co.uk/tavern/tavern-page.htm

BOOK: CHATS ABOUT OLD INVOICES

The Chinese Money Matters blog is written by Helen Wang, Curator of East Asian Money, Dept of Coins and Medals, The British Museum.  This week she discusses a Chinese web site called The Invoice Museum, and a 2007 book about them.
-Editor

Styling itself as “the only online invoice museum in China” and hosted on the Hebei Taxpayers website, The Invoice Museum 发票博物馆 is a digital catalogue of part of a private collection of over 2000 invoices. The collection belongs to Mr GAO Xianzhou 高献洲 who works in tax in Hebei province.

Gao started collecting invoices in 2000, and his collection includes pieces from the Qing dynasty and Republican period. In the screenshot above, the note at top-left is dated 1722 (Kangxi 61).  As his collection grew, and he developed expertise, Gao wrote Chats about Old Invoices 《漫话老发票》, published by the China Tax Publishing House in May 2007.
He is currently writing a new book – A Hundred Years of Invoices in China 《中国发票百年》 – about the evolution and development of invoices in more recent times.

To visit THE INVOICE MUSEUM, see:

http://www.hbnsr.cn/web/invoiceList.aspx

To read the complete article, see:

THE INVOICE MUSEUM

(https://chinesemoneymatters.wordpress.com/2018/02/05/the-invoice-museum/)

NEW PERIODICAL: CPG MARKET REVIEW

The folks at Coin Dealer Newsletter have launched a new pricing publication.
-Editor

Created specifically for collectors, the Collector's Price Guide  Coin & Currency Market Review contains over 96 pages with price listings for nearly every U.S. coin and currency series, in grades from Good to MS65, and higher.

• Every issue features a relevant exclusive interview with an important collector or dealer in the industry

• Published four times a year (Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct)

• CPG prices based on the industry-standard Greysheet &   Greensheet wholesale publications

• An indispensable part of every collector’s reference library

1 issue for $10; 4 issue for $29.99/year.
Visit www.greysheet.com to order online, or call our team at 757-656-1055

For more information, see:

https://www.greysheet.com/

BOOK REVIEW: THE SILVER OF FAIRYLAND

Dave Hirt submitted this review of a new book on Transylvanian Thalers.  Thanks!
-Editor

My very good friend and fellow collector Balazs Csanady gave me a wonderful new book as a Christmas present,  The Silver of Fairyland, a book on a 220 piece Transylvanian Thaler collection purchased by the Hungarian National Bank (Magyar Nemzeti Bank). It was published simultaneously in the
Hungarian and English languages.  It has 240 pages; Csaba Toth is the Editor in Chief.

It had been collected by three generations of the Toro family. It is a beautiful book. All 220 pieces are plated, and illustrations are on almost every page. Each Prince that issued coins in this collection has a full page picture. It states that a decision was to build the collection with die varieties, especially of the Princes that had longer reigns, and issued
numerous varieties. An interesting history is given of the purchases through the years.

 There are seven different chapters, each written by a different numismatist. One of them has thirteen pages of plates of 17th century coin dies from the Brasso (Kronstadt) mint.

I was unable to locate specific ordering information for the English edition, but below is a link to where I found images of the book.  Perhaps some knowledge of Hungarian is needed to order.
-Editor

For more information, see:

A Transylvanien Thaler Collection book " The Silver of Fairyland"

(https://www.jofogas.hu/budapest/A_Transylvanien_Thaler_Collection_book___The_Silver_of_Fairyland__74436935.htm)

dave adds:

www.coins.hu
 has the Hungarian edition for 26.25 Euro.

NGC UPDATES COUNTERFEIT DETECTION RESOURCE

Late last year, NGC created an online source for information about counterfeit coins.   Here's an excerpt from their January 31, 2018 press release announcing an expansion.
-Editor

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) has expanded its online Counterfeit Detection resource to include detailed descriptions of its world coins most commonly targeted by counterfeiters.

Number one on the list is a Russian gold coin: the Russia 1897AT 15 Roubles. Despite a mintage of 12 million pieces, counterfeits are frequently seen by NGC graders. Transfer-die counterfeits of this coin are among the most common, so collectors and dealers should look for repeating depressions (marks that appear on multiple counterfeit coins in the exact same locations).

The list of the 25 world coins most often targeted by forgers, according to submissions to NGC, includes six coins from Great Britain, as well as ones from Canada, Eritrea, French Indochina, Japan, Iran, Italy, Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Vietnam.

NGC's graders have identified more than 100,000 counterfeit and altered coins since 1987.

To visit the NGC Counterfeit Detection site, see:

https://www.ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection/

To read the complete press release, see:

NGC Helps Collectors and Dealers Identify Top World Counterfeits

(https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6239/counterfeit-world-top-25/)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NGC OPENS COUNTERFEIT DETECTION PORTAL

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v20/esylum_v20n42a07.html)

NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS SCRIP TALK

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is a great token publication, Scrip Talk. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Founded in 1972, the National Scrip Collectors Association (NSCA) is dedicated to the study of coal company scrip and tokens, and the history of coal mining companies as it relates to the usage of these items.  The NSCA issues a quarterly publication, Scrip Talk, which includes club news, original research, and member advertisements. A recent issue (Summer 2017) includes an article by David Schenkman on tokens of the Union Mining Company in Maryland. While U.S. coal production is declining, these numismatic items remain to document a significant slice of American economic history.

Newman Portal has added Scrip Talk to its periodical section, and is grateful to NSCA president Steve Cawood, Scrip Talk editor Kevin Andersen, and NSCA members Billy Campbell and Mike Williams for their assistance.

Link to Scrip Talk on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/523668

Link to National Scrip Collectors Association home page:

http://nationalscripcollectors.org/

NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS TAX TOKEN NEWSLETTER

In addition to Scrip Talk the Newman Numismatic Portal has added another excellent token publication, the American Tax Token Society Newsletter.
-Editor

American Tax Token Society President John Ostendorf writes:

Thanks to Len Augsburger and the fine folks at the Newman Numismatic Portal, I am very pleased to announce that the first 150 issues (1971-2010) of the American Tax Token Society Newsletter  are now available on the Newman Numismatic Portal.  I'd like to express our sincere thanks to Len and his team.  The NNP is flat out awesome!

Link to ATTS Newsletter on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/524434

NEWMAN PORTAL SEARCH: ROBINSON HARTFORD

Project Coordinator Len Augsburger offers observations related to content being searched for on the Newman Numismatic Portal. This week's search term is "Robinson Hartford Numismatist".
-Editor

This week a Newman Portal user searched for “Robinson Hartford Numismatist.” Pete Smith’s American Numismatic Biographies quickly identifies Alfred S. Robinson (1836-1878) of Hartford, CT, who commissioned copies of colonial rarities in addition to personal trade cards. From there we find mention, in a Fred Lake literature sale, of the monograph Alfred S. Robinson-Hartford Numismatist, published by the Connecticut Historical Society in 1968. Lake describes the work as a “28 page treatise on Robinson who began, in 1860, to produce copies of many of the most famous numismatic treasures-fully illustrated.”

While Newman Portal does not have a copy of the monograph, we now know that it exists and that a copy can be found in the Connecticut Historical Society library. Newman Portal further identifies other pieces attribution to Robinson, such as an 1860 medal honoring Fulton’s steamboat, cataloged in Collector’s Auctions, Ltd. sale of March 1988 (lot 302). Many of the 19th century copies are well-done and today collectible in their own right, and collectors studying Robinson pieces will find extensive related information via the Newman Portal.

Link to Pete Smith’s American Numismatic Biography database on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/people

Link to Fred Lake literature sales on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctioncompanydetail/511123

Link to Johnson and Jensen (later Collector’s Auction, Ltd.) catalogs on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctioncompanydetail/511036

VISUAL SEARCH FOR NUMISMATICS?

Bear with me on this one - there's a numismatic connection.
-Editor

Magnus, the app dubbed “Shazam for Art”, today announced it has closed a Series A investment round from a group of investors, including Leonardo DiCaprio, who also joins as an advisor to the company.

Magnus follows a similar concept to the popular audible-based search company Shazam. Users upload a photo of an artwork and the app returns the details, such as the artist’s name, title of the work and price. Magnus’ leading technology covers over 20,000 galleries, museums, and auction houses around the world. Its database consists of over 10 million images. The app can be downloaded for free in the Android and Apple app store.

The Magnus app aims to democratize the $44 billion global art market, which, according to the TEFAF Art Market Report 2017, has only slowly embraced technology with an online share of only 8.4%.

“Our goal is to make the art market more transparent, open and honest. We love working with our great investors who are passionate about our mission and are equally experienced in the market,” said Magnus Resch, founder and CEO. “In 12 months we have grown our user base to become one of biggest apps in the art world. This funding allows us to continue our international expansion and offer new services for art lovers.”

So, will there one day be a “Shazam for Numismatics”?  Click on, upload or take a picture of a numismatic item.  Using visual search technology, the app identifies the item and provides documentation about it - what it is, where and how it was made and by whom, with references to articles, books and videos relating to it.  How cool would that be?
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

Leonardo DiCaprio invests in Magnus app

(http://artdaily.com/news/102304/Leonardo-DiCaprio-invests-in-Magnus-app#.WoB16-jwaAs)

PICTURED ROCKS QUARTER LAUNCHED

If I were a real reporter I'd go to some of these events - they look like fun.  Launch events for new coins are one of the greatest things the U.S. Mint does; they are rare opportunities to interact with the users of their product, the American     public.  Here's a press release for the latest event with selected photos from the Mint's gallery.
-Editor

The United States Mint (Mint) joined the National Park Service (NPS) today to celebrate the release of the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program coin honoring Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan. The coin is the first of five America the Beautiful Quarters to be issued in 2018, and the 41st release in the series.

The reverse (tails) of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore quarter depicts Chapel Rock and the white pine tree that grows atop it. Inscriptions are “PICTURED ROCKS,” “MICHIGAN,” “2018,” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”

“This new coin not only reflects one of the many unique features of the longest freshwater coastline in the United States, but also the breathtaking natural beauty of the state,” said Marc Landry, a Michigan native and Acting Associate Director of the Mint’s Numismatic and Bullion Directorate.

Below is a photo of designer Paul Balan and his family.
-Editor

More than 450 schoolchildren, along with local residents, gathered in the Mather Elementary School auditorium for the ceremony, led by Katherine Reynolds, Executive Director of the Greater Munising Bay Partnership for Commerce Development, the Alger County Chamber of Commerce and the Munising Downtown Development Authority. Additional ceremony participants included Timothy Williams, Deputy Director of External Affairs at the Department of the Interior, on behalf of Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke; Jay Gage, Upper Peninsula Regional Manager, on behalf of Senator Debbie Stabenow; Katelyn Rader, Upper Peninsula Regional Coordinator, for Senator Gary Peters; David Horne, Superintendent of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore; and the Munising High School Concert Choir, which provided pre- and post-event music. Paul Balan, Mint Artistic Infusion Program designer of the quarter, received special recognition during the ceremony which culminated in an exchange of $10 rolls of newly minted
  quarters.

Marc Landry, Acting Associate Director of the Numismatic & Bullion Directorate, United States Mint, presents Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore quarters struck on the first day of production to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Superintendent David Horne

“America's public lands are full of postcard worthy places, like one of Michigan's best kept secrets, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore,” said U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke. “With its awe-inspiring scenery and amazing year-round recreational opportunities, it is a testament that not all of our great public lands are located out West. Whether you want to hunt and fish or bike and kayak, its sandstone cliffs, towering waterfalls, hardwood forest, and miles of beaches offer something for all visitors.”

Authorized by Public Law 110-456 and launched in 2009, the America the Beautiful Quarters Program is a 12-year program that honors 56 national parks and other national sites. Each year until 2020, the public will see five new national sites depicted on the reverses of the America the Beautiful Quarters coins. A final coin will be released in 2021.

The Mint is issuing these quarters in the order in which each honored location was first established as a national site.

To read the complete press release, see:

United States Mint Launches 41st America the Beautiful Quarters® Program Coin

(http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/02/prweb15181989.htm)

The Mint also produced some great videos about the quarter.  The first is an interview with U.S. Mint Sculptor-Engraver Michael Gaudioso.
-Editor

Sculptor-Engraver Michael Gaudioso discusses his work on the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore coin, the first in the 2018 America the Beautiful Quarters collection.

To watch the complete videos, see:

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (2018)

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlL7xqf8pfc&list=PLoycqRjxZI6Y5A9igJnCtTuDMZhVoyM_9)

Pictured Rocks AtB B-Roll

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmG7xmYQuKw&index=2&list=PLoycqRjxZI6Y5A9igJnCtTuDMZhVoyM_9)

BETH DEISHER, COIN WORLD, AND JOURNALIST ETHICS

Former Coin World Editor Beth Deisher submitted this statement in response to statements regarding the publication in last week's article by Mike Marotta on John J. Ford, Jr.
-Editor

In reference to “Michael Marotta on John J. Ford” published in the Feb. 4, 2018, issue of The E-Sylum:
Mr. Marotta is entitled to his opinions. However, he is not entitled to publish untruths. Facts are facts.

Fact: During the time I was employed at Coin World -- March 1, 1981, through April 30, 2012 -- there was never any litigation in which “all of the notebooks of the
reporters [were] seized as evidence,” as Mr. Marotta claimed.

There was a libel suit filed against Coin World in January 1985 in which the notes and documents one writer used to prepare a series of news stories were subpoenaed as evidence. That suit was settled out of court in February 1992, with the only stipulation being that Coin World would publish a press release that had been offered two weeks after the suit was filed in 1985. That press release was published on Page 24 of the March 9, 1992, issue of Coin World.

Fact: Mr. Marotta was employed by Coin World from May 24, 1999, to May 5, 2000. His claim that Coin World “had just gotten through a lawsuit” when he joined the
staff is at odds with the truth. The suit he referenced had been settled more than seven years prior to his hiring. Since he had virtually no prior experience in working for a weekly publication such as Coin World, during his orientation particular attention would have been paid to professional standards and ethics as well as to expected adherence to the publication’s policy guidelines.

Fact: Mr. Marotta’s assertion that I “permitted no criticism of John J. Ford, not just in print, but verbally in the office,” is patently false. The Guest Editorial, Point-Counter-Point, and Letters to the Editor columns, particularly during the years 1997 through 2000, in which many readers voiced opinions on both sides of the debate, often citing Mr. Ford by name, bear witness to Mr. Marotta’s disregard for the truth.

I did not issue an edict forbidding criticism of Ford due to any favoritism or loyalty to him personally. What I did do was to counsel and advise all who worked on the editorial staff to avoid discussions, particularly with readers and others in the
numismatic community, of controversial topics and making statements about anyone (Mr. Ford included) that could be perceived as favoring one side over the other or conversely disparaging an individual or firm. I also cautioned against
statements that could be construed as prejudicial against a person or firm that could lead to a claim of malice. Such an approach is prudent and well within the code of ethics for professional journalists and was indeed a part of Coin World’s policy guidelines.

There is good reason to keep an open mind and maintain neutrality as a journalist. At any given time one may be called upon to interview or report on events that involve people of differing views. Case in point: I covered and wrote Coin World’s news coverage of “The Great Debate” between Theodore V. Buttrey Jr. and Michael J. Hodder that took place Aug. 12, 1999, during the American Numismatic Association’s convention in Rosemont, Ill. Had I advocated for one side over the other before the debate, I would have been disqualified from reporting on the debate and Coin World would have lost credibility with its readers.

During my tenure as editor, if I had opinions about a particular subject, person, or event, they were expressed in written Editorials that carried my byline.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

MICHAEL MAROTTA ON JOHN J. FORD

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n05a19.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE
OVER 500 NUMISMATIC TITLES: Wizard Coin Supply has over 500 numismatic titles in stock, competitively discounted, and
available for immediate shipment. See our selection at www.WizardCoinSupply.com.

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: FEBRUARY 11, 2018

 Mrs. Buttrey’s Little Boy
David Fanning writes:

I’ve enjoyed reading the reminiscences of Ted Buttrey, a man I never met but with whom I corresponded regularly over the past several years. I don’t have much to add, but will contribute this little incident. Back in August, I asked Ted if I could send him a copy of the Memorias de la Academia Mexicana de Estudios Numismáticos that included his famous article no one here had the guts to publish. I asked if he would sign it and send it back. His response was, “Hell, man, I’m just Mrs. Buttrey’s little boy. But OK.”

He was a neat guy.

Aw, shucks.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

DOUGLAS SAVILLE REMEMBERS THEODORE V. BUTTREY JR.

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n05a17.html)

 Wanted: Popular Book on Private and Territorial Gold
Eric Schena writes:

I have an idea for a book that I think would be very useful to the collecting community: a guide on Private and Territorial Gold, to include California fractional gold coins. The main references for these items are sometimes hard to find and usually very expensive, sometimes making even the details on these very fascinating coins relatively inaccessible. It seems to me that a decent guide in the Bowers series would be very helpful to foster interest in future generations.

I know as a kid, the private and territorial section of the Red Book was one of my favorite sections and it prompted me to get as many references as I could and try to acquire some of these coins and even though it is pretty much guaranteed that I will never own a $50 slug, I absolutely love reading about them. I think it would extremely beneficial to have the field opened up to a wide audience.

Great idea!  I enjoyed that section of the Redbook as well, and like Eric, have a shelf full of books on the topic today.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

WHITMAN SEEKS IDEAS FOR NEXT BOWERS SERIES BOOK

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n05a13.html)

 An Observation on the Four Generations Coin
In the I'll-bet-you-didn't-think-of-that department,
Chip Howell writes:

The E C W G on the 2018 Crown represents the four living generations of the British Royal family: Elizabeth II, & her descendants Charles III; William V; and George VII. *If* this is how succession plays out, that's four prime numbers in a row!

I'm certain the Illuminati are behind this, and it's a sure sign of the apocalypse.  Or not... And how come poor George doesn't get his own crown on the coin?  Artistic license, or a foreshadowing of the fall of the House of Windsor?  Hmmmm.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

2018 FOUR GENERATIONS ROYAL FAMILY COIN ISSUED

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n05a36.html)

 Buick Encased Dime

Last week Steve Bishop asked about encased dollars advertising Buick and General Motors automobiles.
-Editor

Brad Karoleff writes:

Steve Bishop asked about General Motors encased dollars.  I have two in the archives, one each of type one and two.  My type one hosts a VF 1901-O Morgan and the type two has an AU 1884 plain Morgan, much like the one illustrated by Mr. Bishop.

Carol Bastable writes:

Although this is not a dollar, I thought it was rather interesting.  I have seen the encased Buick dollars but did not realize that there were other denominations as well, until I saw this one on eBay.  The auction closed about a week ago.  I am not really an encased coin collector and did not bid on it but I do like oddities so I kept it on a watch list.  Being a dime and Canadian definitely made it out of the ordinary.

Interesting.  Thanks!
-Editor

To read the complete lot description, see:

1939 Encased Dime - General Motors of Canada - Bet Your Last Dime on Buick 1940

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Encased-Dime-General-Motors-of-Canada-Bet-Your-Last-Dime-on-Buick-1940-/362224362253)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

QUERY: BUICK, GENERAL MOTORS ENCASED DOLLARS

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n05a20.html)

 2018 Winter Olympic Elongates

Reader Oded Paz has created six elongated coins commemorating the 2018 Winter Olympics.  Set #1 are colored gold, silver and bronze, being rolled on brass, copper-nickel and copper-plated aluminum; the "silver" and "bronze" are rolled on South Korean 100 and 10 Won coins, respectively.  Set #2 is rolled on U.S. cents, dimes and quarters.  For pricing and ordering information, contact Oded at:

paz at sbcglobal.net
.
-Editor

Sets #1 and #2

Oded adds:

 I still have a few sets still available from the previous Olympic games. Please contact me for additional information & pricing.

 Frank Robinson on the Great Mutilated Coin Scam
Frank Robinson writes:

I noticed the story about the Mint’s mutilated coin program.
I wrote about this on my blog in 2015, and thought readers might find it amusing.

Thanks!
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

The Great Mutilated Coin Scam

(https://rationaloptimist.wordpress.com/2015/06/27/the-great-mutilated-coin-scam/)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

U.S. MINT RESUMES MUTILATED COIN PROGRAM

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n05a32.html)

 Lincoln's Silver Dollar Bar Medal
Ken Barr  writes:

There is a large (50 mm) silver-plated medal honoring the Silver Dollar Bar.

Thanks - neat item.  Ken kindly provided this image from an old eBay offering of his.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

LINCOLN'S WORLD FAMOUS 50,000 SILVER $ BAR

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n05a41.html)

MORE ON THE STONE MOUNTAIN COUNTERMARKS

Last week reader Robert Whitehead asked about research on the countermarks on Stone Mountain commemorative half dollars.
-Editor

John Okerson writes:

There were three relatively recent articles in The Numismatist on these coins:

March 1985 beginning on page 466
August 1987 beginning on page 1633
January 2011 beginning on page 36

Gary Greenbaum writes:

Regarding the Stone Mountain half, I found the source below very helpful when I was doing the (of course) Wikipedia article on it. I don’t recall if it was simply a reprint of what was in  The Numismatist, or if more matter was added, but it was very good. The ANA library has it in their pamphlets file.

Hyder, William D.; Colbert, R.W. (1985). The Selling of the Stone Mountain half dollar. Colorado Springs, Col.: American Numismatic Association (pamphlet with reprint from March 1985 The Numismatist).

Bill Hyder writes:

R.W. Colbert and I wrote an article, The Selling of the Stone Mountain Half Dollar  that appeared in the March 1985   Numismatist. We could not identify the G.L. and S.L. countermarks, but that was later solved by another researcher--Gold Lavalier or Silver Lavalier--coins in bezels awarded to the first and second place winners (young ladies) of the most sales of the halves in their areas.
See Unraveling the Mystery of the Counterstamped Halves by A. Steve Deitert in the January 2011 Numismatist.

There are many other articles out there including Adna Wilde's censuses of known countermarked halves. These two articles were informed by original documents and brochures from the period. I suspect there are still gems of information waiting to be found.

Lee Gast  writes:

 I have been conducting research in hopes of writing a book around the 50 piece series of early commemorative coins.
Last week
   a fellow Numismatist asked for information around Counterstamped Stone Mountain Half Dollars. Adna Wilde pretty much "wrote the book" around the counterstamps. Mr. Wilde's research can be found in The Numismatist, "Counterstamped Stone Mountain Half Dollars: Where Are They Today?" By Adna G. Wilde Jr., LM232, August 1987, p. 1633-1643. If this research can not be found online, the ANA can copy the pages for a small fee.

    Hope this helps a fellow researcher,

The ANA offers an online archive of back issues of The Numismatist to its members.
-Editor

Ken Bressett writes:

Regarding the request for information about the research Arlie Slabaugh did on counterstamped Stone Mountain half-dollars, Whitman published his book that included a good description of the pieces. If this work has been overlooked I suggest it is worth pursuing. Arlie was a careful researcher and writer, as well as a good friend to all who knew him.

United States Commemorative Coinage. Arlie R. Slabaugh. Whitman Publishing 1962, and second edition 1975. Hardcover 6”x9”.   The second edition contains some additional information on the counterstamped pieces.

Tom Caldwell of Northeast Numismatics writes:

Bill Shamhart is a dealer in New Jersey  who has dealt in some of the Stone Mountain counterstamped halves.

John Okerson adds:

There were three different medals issued in 1970 – a 70 mm Bronze with 500 made, a 70 mm .900 Silver with 1500 made and a 40 mm .900 silver with 1500 made.

Thanks, everyone!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

QUERY: STONE MOUNTAIN COUNTERMARK INFO SOUGHT

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n05a08.html)

RUSTED RUPEES AND THE ROYAL MINT'S STEEL COINS

Ron Haller-Williams submitted these thoughts on the many problems that steel coinage produces.  Thank you!
-Editor

When I was a kid (say, in the 1950s and part of the 1960s), I found the rusted look of West German low-value coins (1, 2, 5 & 10 pfennig, say 1948-1952) VERY unappealing – and as a young man I disliked how a washer or steel disk could imitate such a coin quite well, plus how a magnet could interfere with such pieces in a slot machine.

I was therefore HORRIFIED when the Royal Mint started to introduce steel-cored coins for the UK (and some of the other countries which it produces coins) starting in September 1992 for 1 & 2 pence coins, and January 2012 for 5 & 10 pence coins.

An article in "The Telegraph" of 03 Sep 2010 describes the proposal for such plated-steel 5 & 10 pence coins as a 'disaster', from the point of view of slot machines and conversion cost.

So, quite frankly, I am not surprised that these Seychelles coins have been giving trouble within weeks of their introduction and that within 14 months of their introduction it had become necessary to replace them.

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum