The E-Sylum v21n27 July 8, 2018

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jul 8 19:11:53 PDT 2018

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 21, Number 27, July 8, 2018
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JULY 8, 2018
<#a01>
**
NBS EVENTS PLANNED FOR 2018 PHILADELPHIA ANA
<#a02>
**
KOLBE & FANNING ADAMS SALE CLOSES JULY 14, 2018
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOKS ON INDIAN COINAGE
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: THE VICTORIA CROSS
<#a05>
**
NEW BOOK: THE PAPER MONEY OF ARGENTINA
<#a06>
**
OMNI JOURNAL JUNE 2018 ISSUED
<#a07>
**
WILLARD ROYAL MUMFORD (1933-2018)
<#a08>
**
IBNS JOURNAL ON NEWMAN PORTAL
<#a09>
**
THE ALEXANDRE VATTEMARE COLLECTION
<#a10>
**
NEWMAN'S DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE BROADSIDE
<#a11>
**
BREEN AND TAXAY AUTHENTICATION CERTIFICATES
<#a12>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JULY 8, 2018
<#a13>
**
QUERY: EAST INDIA COMPANY COIN FIELD PATTERN
<#a14>
**
THE WASHINGTON HALL OF FAME MEDAL
<#a15>
**
CENTRAL STATES SUSPENDS AUTHOR GRANT PROGRAM
<#a16>
**
VOCABULARY TERMS: SO-CALLED DOLLAR, SOUVENIR MEDALS
<#a17>
**
OTHO JACOB BIERLY (1871-1957)
<#a18>
**
QUERY: A ZERBE-HEEREN CONNECTION?
<#a19>
**
INDIANA STATE MUSEUM HEEREN BROS COLUMBIA SHIELD
<#a20>
**
VIDEO: EAC REMEMBERS R. TETTENHORST
<#a21>
**
SUMMER SEMINAR BOOK SALE FINDS
<#a22>
**
WHICH NAPOLEONIC MEDALS DID PEALE SEE?
<#a23>
**
PAINTING RECREATES JEFFERSON'S COIN TRANSACTION
<#a24>
**
TAMS MEETING AND BANQUET IN PHILADELPHIA
<#a25>
**
NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: JULY 8, 2018
<#a26>
**
ROMAN COINS FOUND AT VULCI
<#a27>
**
HENRY VIII ANGEL SOUGHT IN MURDER INVESTIGATION
<#a28>
**
1982 NETHERLANDS-AMERICAN 50 GULDEN
<#a29>
**
IRAN'S SULTAN OF COINS
<#a30>
**
BLACK HOLE SPINNERS
<#a31>
**
RARE HBC PROMISSORY NOTE AT REGINA COIN SHOW
<#a32>
**
DID RUSSIA WORLD CUP BANKNOTE PREDICT WIN?
<#a33>
**
IN OTHER NEWS: JULY 8, 2018
<#a34>
**
VAULT RELEASE—RARE LINCOLN PENNIES!!!
<#a35>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: SHORT SNORTER PROJECT
<#a36>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JULY 8, 2018

No new subscribers this week.
We now have 5,780 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

This week we open with NBS events at the ANA Philadelphia show, a final reminder of the Kolbe & Fanning sale of John W. Adams library selections, five new books and one periodical, and the loss of a hobby stalwart.

Other topics this week include the International Bank Note Society (IBNS), Breen and Taxay authentication certificates, Hall of Fame medals, dealer O. J. Bierly, the Columbia Shield, and Short Snorters.

To learn more about the Victoria Cross, the OMNI Journal, Will Mumford, the Alexandre Vattemare Collection,
 Chinese Sycee, the Central States Author Grants Program, The Coin Press, and Black Hole spinners, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NBS EVENTS PLANNED FOR 2018 PHILADELPHIA ANA

NBS President Tom Harrison provided this overview of events planned for the upcoming ANA convention.
-Editor

With the ANA World’s Fair of Money in Philadelphia just weeks away I would like to invite the E-Sylum readership to join the Numismatic Bibliomania Society’s annual events. We are delighted to have numismatic scholar, researcher and author Roger Burdette, speaking at our Symposium on Thursday, August 16 at 1:00 in room 120 C on numismatic research at the National Archives. This will be a fascinating look at the challenges and discoveries through Roger’s extensive experiences.

   Our General Meeting held Friday, August 17 at 11:30 in room 117 will include the announcement of  The Asylum author award winners. We are also looking forward to a timely presentation by numismatic literature dealer, David Fanning, discussing the current state of the numismatic literature market. This will be a great opportunity to hear David’s insightful thoughts regarding today’s numismatic literature trends. Our all-important benefit action will conclude the meeting and, as always, will include several special items.

   This year we have renewed our tradition of hosting an NBS club table. The table will be located near literature dealers Charles Davis and Kolbe & Fanning. We hope everyone will have an opportunity to stop by the table to visit and receive a complimentary NBS bookmark. This will be a great chance to connect with fellow literature enthusiasts and share your thoughts for the betterment of the NBS.

I expect to be at all of the events, as well as spending time at the NBS club table, and hope to see many of our E-Sylum readers there. Please do come by and say hello.
-Editor

KOLBE & FANNING ADAMS SALE CLOSES JULY 14, 2018

The long-anticipated sale of highlights from the John W. Adams numismatic library is upon us. Bibliophiles and researchers are advised to get their bids in if they haven't already.  See earlier E-Sylum articles (linked below) for more information.
-Editor

KOLBE & FANNING SALE OF THE JOHN W. ADAMS LIBRARY

THIS SATURDAY, JULY 14

Live Online Auction Begins at Noon Eastern Time

Selected highlights of the magnificent John W. Adams numismatic library will be sold this Saturday, July 14, beginning at 12:00 noon Eastern Daylight Time by Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers. The online catalogue can be accessed at

bid.numislit.com.

Bids may be placed via post, email, fax or phone, as well as online. Bids placed via post, email, fax or phone must be received by Friday, July 13, the day before the sale, in order for them to be processed. Kolbe & Fanning uses Auction Mobility as our third-party online bidding platform. Auction Mobility is an app-based platform allowing users the ability to participate in the sale through phones, tablets and computers. To register for the sale, bidders must go to bid.numislit.com and sign up. Once you have set up an account, you may browse lots, place advance bids, or participate in the live sale online. Those wishing to participate on their devices can download the Kolbe & Fanning app through the Apple or Google Play Store.

Advance absentee bids may also be placed online at bid.numislit.com; live internet bidding will be available during the sale itself through the same platform. Bidders placing absentee bids will be able to tell immediately whether or not they have the current high bid. Bidders will also receive email notifications when they are outbid before the sale (users of the app may receive push notifications as well).

The Adams Library has been generating considerable excitement and advance bidding, and we are looking forward to your participation in what promises to be a memorable sale.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed and bonded auction firm in the State of Ohio. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at numislit.com or email David Fanning at df at numislit.com. To register for the sale, go to

bid.numislit.com. We look forward to your participation.

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

KOLBE & FANNING ANNOUNCES JULY 14, 2018 SALE

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n20a04.html)

KOLBE & FANNING OFFER ADAMS CHAPMAN CATALOGUES

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n21a04.html)

KOLBE & FANNING OFFER ADAMS RAYMOND CATALOGUES

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n22a08.html)

KOLBE & FANNING OFFER ADAMS ELDER CATALOGUES

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n23a02.html)

KOLBE & FANNING OFFER ADAMS FROSSARD CATALOGUES

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n24a02.html)

KOLBE & FANNING OFFER ADAMS LYMAN LOW CATALOGUES

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n25a02.html)

KOLBE & FANNING ADAMS SALE CLOSES JULY 14, 2018

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n26a02.html)

FIRST ARTICLE ON AMERICAN NUMISMATICS, REVISED

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n26a25.html)

VATTEMARE’S 1861 CATALOGUE

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n26a26.html)

NEW BOOKS ON INDIAN COINAGE

As noted in earlier articles, sites like PrintsAsia.com may be able to offer better deals for books published in India, but here's a new title available from Bagchee.com. Below is their overview for a new book on the coinage of
-Editor

 The Nawabs and Kings of Awadh and their Coinage

The Nawabs and Kings of Awadh and their Coinage
Genres: Art and Architecture Numismatics
Authors (s):	Mohit Kapoor (Author) , Dinesh Master (Author)
Format:	Hardcover
ISBN-10:	9352684044
ISBN-13:	9789352684045
Pages:	79p., Plates; 29cm.