The E-Sylum v21n22 June 3, 2018

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jun 3 17:36:43 PDT 2018

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 21, Number 22, June 3, 2018
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 3, 2018
<#a01>
**
ASYLUM SUMMER 2018 ISSUE PUBLISHED
<#a02>
**
NBS PRESIDENT'S SUMMER 2018 MESSAGE
<#a03>
**
2018 NBS BENEFIT AUCTION DONATIONS SOUGHT
<#a04>
**
HARTMANN OFFERS  INTERNATIONAL ENGRAVER'S LINE
<#a05>
**
SELECTIONS FROM THE JUNE 2018 WORKMAN'S SALE
<#a06>
**
COURTEAU CANADIAN TOKEN PAMPHLETS OFFERED
<#a07>
**
KOLBE & FANNING OFFER ADAMS RAYMOND CATALOGUES
<#a08>
**
NEW BOOK: NAVAL AND MARITIME ENGRAVED COINS
<#a09>
**
JOURNAL OF EARLY AMERICAN NUMISMATICS LAUNCHED
<#a10>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL: SELLING COINS BY LOTTERY
<#a11>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL SEARCH: 1719 SEDE VACANTE
<#a12>
**
STUMP-TAIL CURRENCY AND THE INTERNET ARCHIVE
<#a13>
**
NGC INTRODUCES NEW COIN IMAGING SERVICE
<#a14>
**
NUMISMATIC LASER GRAPHICS COIN HOLOGRAMS
<#a15>
**
SUMMER 2018 COIN BOARD NEWS PUBLISHED
<#a16>
**
STUDY EXAMINES PRINT VS ELECTRONIC BOOKS
<#a17>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JUNE 3, 2018
<#a18>
**
SUPERSTITIONS ABOUT MONEY
<#a19>
**
RECOVERY TOKENS FOR RESTRICTED GROUPS
<#a20>
**
VOCABULARY TERMS: DIESHELL, EPOXY
<#a21>
**
HERMAN "HENRY" C. KAMMEYER (1879-1949)
<#a22>
**
HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 19
<#a23>
**
HAPPY BIRTHDAY: MAURICE STORCK
<#a24>
**
GEER STEYN RECEIVES 2018  J. SANFORD SALTUS AWARD
<#a25>
**
SACAGAWEA DOLLAR MODEL RANDY’L TETON INTERVIEW
<#a26>
**
ASSISTANCE SOUGHT IN IDENTIFYING TOKEN ISSUERS
<#a27>
**
AI, NEWTON AND THE TRIAL OF THE PYX
<#a28>
**
EPNNES DONATION SUPPORTS ANA SUMMER SEMINAR
<#a29>
**
NUMISMATIC WALKING TOUR OF LOWER MANHATTAN
<#a30>
**
GAMBLING ON BASEBALL MEDALS
<#a31>
**
SELECTIONS FROM THE BEASLEY AND FAIRMONT SALE
<#a32>
**
SOME INTERESTING MEDALS: JUNE 3, 2018
<#a33>
**
NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: JUNE 3, 2018
<#a34>
**
RARE YEHUD COINS FOUND AT TEMPLE MOUNT
<#a35>
**
COIN DATES FOURTH CENTURY B.C. ROMAN TOMB
<#a36>
**
COINAGE OF THE ROMAN USURPERS
<#a37>
**
SPANISH GALLEON SAN JOSE FOUND
<#a38>
**
EXHIBIT: SAWYER’S NATIVE AMERICAN GALVANOS
<#a39>
**
MCAFEE LAUNCHES PHYSICAL CRYPTOCURRENCY
<#a40>
**
HONG KONG MOVIE MONEY MASTER CONVICTED
<#a41>
**
CHINESE MAN GIVES GIRLFRIEND BANKNOTE BOUQUET
<#a42>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: MEDAL COLLECTORS OF AMERICA
<#a43>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 3, 2018

New subscribers this week include:
Past President of the El Salvador Numismatic Association (ANUSAL), José Solórzano, courtesy of Roberto Jovel;
Gino Geraci, courtesy of Bill Rosenblum, and
Jim Noble, courtesy of Colin Pitchfork.
Welcome aboard! We now have 5,777 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

As a reminder, if you are having trouble receiving your issues, here's  an article with some things to try:

ON GETTING YOUR E-SYLUM BY EMAIL

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n13a18.html)

After confirming with us that your address is still on our list, the next steps are to check your spam folder and put our address on your not-spam list.  You might have to call your Internet Service Provider (ISP) next to sort it out.  We can check the logs on our end, but what we always find is that the issue is getting delivered to your ISP but your ISP isn't sending it to your inbox.

This week we open with updates from the Numismatic Bibliomania Society, a fixed price offering, three numismatic literature sales, one new book and a new periodical as well.

Other topics this week include the Internet Archive, NGC's coin imaging service, coin holograms, superstitions about money, recovery tokens, Sacagawea dollar model Randy'L Teton, the Trial of the Pyx, highlights from multiple numismatic sales, and coins of the Roman usurpers.

To learn more about Eugene G. Courteau's token monographs, Wayte Raymond catalogues, naval and maritime engraved coins,
 The Journal of Early American Numismatics (JEAN) , the “fond old dreamer” Daniel E. Groux, Stump-Tail currency, coin-operated piano tokens, the Black Penny, the 1949 Assay Medal, and birthday boys Harvey and Maurice, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

ASYLUM SUMMER 2018 ISSUE PUBLISHED

The latest issue of our print journal The Asylum is on the way to the mailboxes of Numismatic Bibliomania Society members. Here is the table of contents.
-Editor

The Asylum

Summer 2018 Issue Vol. 36 No. 2

Table of Contents:

NBS News

NBS Constitution and By-Laws Proposed Changes and Ballot

The Asylum Awards Ballot
Vote using enclosed ballots or vote online at

surveymonkey.com/r/SL56TDR

Message from the President

Donate to NBS Benefit Auction at ANA

A Handwritten Letter from Eric P. Newman Shared by George F. Kolbe

Funny Meeting You Here! By Bill Daehn

Taking the Plunge: or, Becoming a “Real” Bookseller By David F. Fanning

The Camden Bank Note Registers By David Gladfelter

An Adventure in Rhode Island By Dan Hamelberg

Chasing an Oasis of Numismatic Knowledge By Thomas D. Harrison

Imhoof-Blumer, Fontana, and Quadras y Ramón Kibitzing My Collection By Andrew McCabe

A Copy of Henfrey’s English Coins Bound with Wilkinson’s Ancient Egyptians By David Pickup

There Has To Be a Better Lazy Deuce? By John and Nancy Wilson

A Fortunate Scratch By Ray Williams

An exceedingly interesting copy of Brooke’s English Coins By Peter Gaspar

Tales of Numismatic Good Luck and Bad Luck By Jud Petrie

While The E-Sylum is free to all, only paid members of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society receive our print journal,    The Asylum. Print/Digital membership is $40 to addresses in the U.S., and $60 elsewhere. A digital-only membership is available for $25.
-Editor

To join NBS or renew your annual membership, see:

http://www.coinbooks.org/about/membership.html

NBS PRESIDENT'S SUMMER 2018 MESSAGE

Here's is NBS president Tom Harrison's message from the latest issue. Thanks to Maria Fanning for providing the text.
-Editor

Message from the President

            With the ANA World’s Fair of Money in Philadelphia quickly approaching, I would like to share a few highlights of our annual Numismatic Bibliomania Society events. We are delighted to have numismatic scholar, researcher and author Roger Burdette, speaking at our Symposium on Thursday, August 16 at 1:00 in room 120 C on numismatic research at the National Archives. This will be a fascinating look at the challenges and discoveries through Roger’s extensive experiences.

            Our General Meeting held Friday, August 17 at 11:30 in room 117 will include the announcement of The Asylum author award winners. We are also looking forward to a timely presentation by numismatic literature dealer, David Fanning, discussing the current state of the numismatic literature market. As numismatic literature is going through a digital transition, this topic should be of considerable interest to all bibliophiles. Our all-important benefit auction will conclude the General Meeting. I would like to give a special shout-out to our generous members who are donating items for the auction and to all of our enthusiastic bidders who will ensure its success.

            This year we have renewed our tradition of hosting an NBS club table. The table will be located near literature dealers Charles Davis and Kolbe & Fanning. We will be displaying a variety of choice items from Friday’s benefit auction. We hope everyone will have an opportunity to stop by the table to visit and receive a complimentary NBS bookmark. This will be a great chance to connect with fellow literature enthusiasts and share your thoughts and ideas for the betterment of the NBS.

            Until we meet in Philadelphia, may your numismatic library provide investigation, discovery and most of all, enjoyment.

For more information on the Numismatic Bibliomania Society, see:

http://www.coinbooks.org/

2018 NBS BENEFIT AUCTION DONATIONS SOUGHT

The 2018 General Meeting of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) will be held on Friday, August 17 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the American Numismatic Association’s World’s Fair of Money in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The meeting will conclude as usual with a benefit auction of numismatic books and related items donated to be sold for the benefit of the organization.

Donations have already been received from several NBS supporters, but more are needed to make the auction a success. NBS Board member David Fanning has volunteered to catalogue and conduct this year’s sale. Donated items may be sent to him at:

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers
141 W Johnstown Road
Gahanna OH 43230

He can be reached at df at numislit.com if you have any questions. All proceeds from the auction go to the Numismatic Bibliomania Society, with any expenses incurred in conducting the sale being donated to the NBS. Thank you for your consideration. Donations must be received by July 15.

A number of rare, useful, interesting and fun donations are already in hand.  Another one is listed below.  What can you add to the mix?
-Editor

The 2001 leaf book of Fulvio’s 1517 Illustrium Imagines, the first substantially illustrated numismatic book, printed by Bird & Bull Press with an essay by Roberto Weiss (donated by George F. Kolbe).

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NBS BENEFIT AUCTION AT 2018 ANA CONVENTION

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n09a04.html)

HARTMANN OFFERS  INTERNATIONAL ENGRAVER'S LINE

Philatellic literature dealer Leonard H. Hartmann has in stock two numismatic books of interest.  The following note was in his PB Newsletter (Philatelic Bibliopole) for May 30, 2018 (no 323).
-Editor

International Engraver's Line by Gene Hessler. We recently purchased the remaining 11 copies of this useful book having short paragraphs on each engraver, 2005, 381+10 pages, cloth, 4 page addenda, $95.00

Hartmann adds:

Though not listed I also have
one copy available of the US-oriented Engraver's Line that I will only sell as a set with the International Engraver's Line for $220.00.

Hartmann may be reached by email at:

Leonard at pbbooks.net

-Editor

To visit the Philatelic Bibliopole web site, see:

http://pbbooks.net/

SELECTIONS FROM THE JUNE 2018 WORKMAN'S SALE

LAST CHANCE!  The Workman's Books first bid sale of numismatic, paper money, treasure, and pirate books closes on Saturday, June 9, 2018.  Get registered and get your bids in.  The sale includes 1500 lots of rare and hard-to-find references on Numismatics, Exonumia & Tokens, Banking Histories, Treasure, Pirates, Metal Detecting, Archaeology, History, and many other topics.  Here are some more selected lots.
-Editor

Lots 107 and 108

Lot 107
Hill, Philip V. THE MONUMENTS OF ANCIENT ROME AS COIN TYPES. Seaby. 1989. 4to, 145 pages; Hardcover w/ DJ; . Subject: Coinage - Ancient Rome

To view the complete lot description, see:

107 Hill: The Monuments of Ancient Rome as Coin Types

(http://www.icollector.com/Hill-The-Monuments-of-Ancient-Rome-as-Coin-Types_i30112079)

Lot 108
Jones, John Melvile. A DICTIONARY OF ANCIENT ROMAN COINS. Seaby. 1990. 8vo, 329 pages; Hardcover w/ DJ; . Subject: Coinage - Ancient Rome

To view the complete lot description, see:

108 Jones: A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins

(http://www.icollector.com/Jones-A-Dictionary-of-Ancient-Roman-Coins_i30112080)

Lots 113 and 119

Lot 113
Rostovtzeff, M.I. & A.R. Bellinger & F.E. Brown & N.P. Toll & C.B. Welles (eds.). THE EXCAVATIONS AT DURA-EUROPOS FINAL REPORT VI: THE COINS. Yale University Press. 1949. 4to, 210 pages; Hardcover; . Subject: Coinage - Ancient Rome

To view the complete lot description, see:

113 Rostovtzeff: The Excavations at Dura-Europos Final Report VI: The Coins

(http://www.icollector.com/Rostovtzeff-The-Excavations-at-Dura-Europos-Final-Report-VI-The-Coins_i30112085)

Lot 119
Vagi, David L. (Signed) COINAGE AND HISTORY OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - VOL 1 & 2. Coin World - Sidney. 1999. 8vo, 1296 pages; Hardcover w/ DJ; Ex Libris. Subject: Coinage - Ancient Rome

To view the complete lot description, see:

119 Vagi: (Signed) Coinage and History of the Roman Empire - Vol 1 & 2

(http://www.icollector.com/Vagi-Signed-Coinage-and-History-of-the-Roman-Empire-Vol-1-2_i30112091)

Lots 145 and 157

Lot 145
Semple, Clara. A SILVER LEGEND: THE STORY OF THE MARIA THERESA THALER. Barzan Publishing Limited. 2005. 4to, 165 pages; Hardcover w/ DJ; . Subject: Coinage - Austria

To view the complete lot description, see:

145 Semple: A Silver Legend: The Story of the Maria Theresa Thaler

(http://www.icollector.com/Semple-A-Silver-Legend-The-Story-of-the-Maria-Theresa-Thaler_i30112117)

Lot 157
Superintendencia De La Casa De Moneda. COINS OF CHILE FROM 1743 TO 1944 - A CATALOG PUBLISHED BY THE CHILEAN MINT. Casa De Moneda - Santiago. 1944. 4to, 70 pages; Hardcover w/ DJ; . Subject: Coinage - Chile

To view the complete lot description, see:

Superintendencia De La Casa De Moneda: Coins of Chile from 1743 to 1944 - A Catalog Published by the

(http://www.icollector.com/Superintendencia-De-La-Casa-De-Moneda-Coins-of-Chile-from-1743-to-1944-A-Catalog-Published-by-the_i30112129)

COURTEAU CANADIAN TOKEN PAMPHLETS OFFERED

This lot from Champagne Auctions in Montreal closing June 16, 2018 is a nice opportunity to pick up some scarce and unique  works on Canadian tokens.
-Editor

Description: Included are the following individually Bound Booklets: The Coins and Token of Nova Scotia (1910). The Habitant Tokens of Lower Canada (1927). The St. George Copper Tokens of the Bank of Upper Canada (1934). The Copper Tokens of the Bank of Montreal (1919) (bilingual) and The The Canadian Bouquet-Sous (1908) - 2 copies. Also included: A six pages carbon copy typesript of "The Blacksmith Tokens". A coverless pamphlet entitled "Canada - The Famous Dr. Courteau Collection of Canadian rarities" subtitled "this is the most important Canadian collection recently offered". A fixed price sale list, with a two page hand written list of corrections, by an unknown hand. A manuscript copy of "the Canadian 1832 Bust and Harp Tokens" dated 1934, and apparently a revision of a work originally published in 1907. A photocopy of a work in progress "Lesslie & Sons Tokens", held together with a business card of Major Sheldon Carroll, Curator, Numismatic Collection, Bank of Canada. A
  manuscript copy of "The Blacksmith Tokens". A treasure trove of Canadian Numismatics. Weight total : 935 gr. Estimate price $500+ cdn

To read the complete lot description, see:

Lot 262: Multiple Rare and Original Works By Eugene G. Courteau

(https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/-1-c-1E04F08936)

KOLBE & FANNING OFFER ADAMS RAYMOND CATALOGUES

A set of ultrarare Wayte Raymond catalogues is offered in the upcoming Kolbe & Fanning sale of highlights of the John W. Adams numismatic library. Here's a preview.
-Editor

OUTSTANDING CATALOGUES OF WAYTE RAYMOND
FROM THE JOHN W. ADAMS LIBRARY
TO BE OFFERED BY KOLBE & FANNING

July 14, 2018 Sale Includes Complete Set of United States Coin Company Catalogues

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers are celebrating our 150th Auction by offering highlights of the John W. Adams numismatic library on July 14, 2018.

The Adams Library includes one of the finest collections of American numismatic auction catalogues ever assembled. Among the most impressive highlights are the catalogues of Wayte Raymond.

Wayte Raymond is best remembered today for his books and periodicals, most importantly the Standard Catalogue of United States Coins, published in 18 editions from 1934 to 1957, and the Coin Collector’s Journal, published from 1934 to 1958. While some of his innovations continue to influence the hobby today, his auction catalogues have at times been underappreciated. The Adams Library includes nearly every catalogue published by this indefatigable numismatist, including a complete set of the catalogues issued under the United States Coin Company banner. This is the first time such a set has been offered--even the set in Raymond’s own library was incomplete.

A few particularly noteworthy Raymond catalogues include:

 Lot 289

Lot 289: the bid book of Part I of the W.W.C. Wilson sale (1925), arguably the most important collection of Canadian numismatic material ever offered at auction.

 Lots 290 and 291

Lots 290 and 291: rare variant editions of the second day’s sale of the W.W.C. Wilson collection, each with 11 outstanding photographic plates depicting Canadian coins and medals, including four plates illustrating Wilson’s extraordinary set of bouquet sous.

 Lot 293

Lot 293: the bid books of Parts II and III of the W.W.C. Wilson sale (1926 and 1927).

 Lot 295

 Lots 294 and 317

Lots 294 and 295: the account copy and the bid book of the extremely rare Part IV of the W.W.C. Wilson sale (1928).

Lot 317: the rare 1914 Foster Lardner catalogue with photographic plates, with the Washingtonia section heavily annotated.

 Lots 321 and 330

 Lots 331 and 335

Lots 321, 330, 331, and 335: exceptionally rare catalogues of March 5, 1915; April 5, 1916; May 10, 1916; and February 20, 1917--each of them the first stand-alone copy we have offered at auction in at least thirty years.

 Lots 340 and 344

Lot 340: the extremely rare 1917 Dr. George P. French catalogue, with a photographic plate depicting Colombian gold coins.

Lot 344: a complete set of J.C. Morgenthau sales, published by Raymond with J.G. Macallister between 1932 and 1945.

An extensive, full-color catalogue will be issued, and the sale will feature live online bidding using Kolbe & Fanning’s custom third-party online bidding platform. The online catalogue will be available shortly at bid.numislit.com; the printed catalogue will mail in a couple of weeks. Bidders wishing to make an appointment to view auction lots are invited to contact David Fanning at df at numislit.com. We are excited to be offering the Adams Library of classic American numismatic auction catalogues and look forward to sharing more previews in the near future.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed and bonded auction firm in the State of Ohio. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at

numislit.com or email David Fanning at df at numislit.com.

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

KOLBE & FANNING ANNOUNCES JULY 14, 2018 SALE

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n20a04.html)

KOLBE & FANNING OFFER ADAMS CHAPMAN CATALOGUES

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n21a04.html)

NEW BOOK: NAVAL AND MARITIME ENGRAVED COINS

Not really new, but new to me is this book by Sim Comfort titled Forget Me Not: A Study of Naval and Maritime Engraved Coins and Plate (1745 to 1918)  .
Thanks to Rev. Dr. Frederick C. Schumacher and Captain Raymond J. Brown who reviewed the book in the January/February 2018 issue of the TAMS Journal. Here's information from the author's web site.
-Editor

The art of the sailor closely reflected his world. He used devices such as fish, the sun, anchors and mermaids to scrimshaw whale teeth and decorate tobacco boxes and sea chests. But the most potent of all his images was that of the ships he sailed in, and possibly the most personal of all the things the mariner created was his gift to the loved one that he left behind. The engraved coin is small in size but ideally suited as a medium to detail his ship and declare his affection.

Contained in this octavo volume is the first full study of maritime engraved coins and all the various types of ships found in this rare art form. The time span is from the mid 18th to the beginning of the 20th century. Included are 140 pieces that depict the great men-of-war during the age of fighting sail, Indiamen, privateers, convict ships, slavers and numerous merchantmen. The research available has uncovered the life of the ship and, if the ship was in the Royal Navy, the live of the sailor who actually made the forget-me-not.

Where rich sea stories are found to bring the reader on board during the action, they are liberally used!

Forget Me Not contains nearly 300 pages of text and halftone images, 16 pages of colour plates, estimated market values, and a comprehensive index. The book is produced on fine longlife 115 gsm paper for the text, 135 gsm for the colour plates, is hardbound by hand and limited to 500 copies only.

ISBN 978 0 905 887 08 1 Hardbound Edition.

Forget Me Not is limited to 500 copies only and bears a signed numbered certificate for each copy. We now have less than 100 copies left.

Price: £75.00 plus packing and shipping. Weight is 1 KG / 2 Lbs.

For more information, or to purchase, see:

Forget Me Not

(http://www.simcomfort.co.uk/forgetmenot.htm)

JOURNAL OF EARLY AMERICAN NUMISMATICS LAUNCHED

The American Numismatic Society is replacing The Colonial Newsletter with the Journal of Early American Numismatics (JEAN).  Here's the announcement from the May 2018 issue of their electronic newsletter ANS News.
-Editor

The inaugural issue of the Journal of Early American Numismatics (JEAN) will ship to subscribers in early July. It will replace The Colonial Newsletter. Edited by Christopher McDowell, the 240-page journal includes five articles: “Fiscal Paper and the Financing of the Revolutionary War: The Link between Speculation in Public Securities and Connecticut Coppers” (Christopher McDowell), “(Re-)Discovery: Yale’s Second and Third Noe II-A New England Shillings” (B. D. R. Hellings), “The Evolution of Spanish Colonial Coinage and its Influence on the United States” (Brian Stickney), “Higley Tokens: The Value of Three Pence” (Joseph Daragan), “The Mysterious Auctori Plebis Tokens” (Jeff Rock).

New subscribers are always welcome, and the ANS encourages readers of the new journal to recommend it to their libraries. To subscribe (or to renew a subscription), contact Emma Pratte, ANS Membership Assistant, at 212.571.4470 x117, or membership at numismatics.org. Subscriptions are US $60.00 (two issues/year).

Here's some more from the ANS web site.
-Editor

The Journal of Early American Numismatics (JEAN) is a new research journal based on the former Colonial Newsletter (CNL) dedicated to the study of early American numismatics. Founded in 1960, CNL continuously published some of the most scholarly and seminal studies in this area of numismatics. Focusing on the study of the coinages produced by the states during the Confederation period of the United States, CNL also investigated a variety of other specie that the U.S.’s forefathers used in their daily lives.

JEAN expands the focus of CNL with contributions on numismatics of all of the Americas during the same time period covered by CNL, and is published as a bound scholarly journal twice a year in June and December.

For more information, or to subscribe, see:

http://numismatics.org/store/cnl/

NEWMAN PORTAL: SELLING COINS BY LOTTERY

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is  Daniel E. Groux’s 1855 Grand Enterprise pamphlet. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report. Thanks!
-Editor

A recent addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is Daniel E. Groux’s Grand Enterprise for the Disposal of the Best Collection of Medals and Coins in the United States (1855). Groux divided his collection into twenty “prizes” and offered raffle tickets at ten dollars each. Four hundred and fifty such tickets were to be sold, which valuation ($4500) was, according to Groux, much less than the total value of the collection.

Groux’s financial problems are well documented (see Joel Orosz’s article on Groux in the October-December 2012 Asylum) and it is unknown if the sale ever took place. The collection itself was typical for an American numismatic cabinet of the era, with a heavy dose of European and non-federal content. Today Groux is known as the “fond old dreamer” as William Strobridge described him in an 1874 auction catalog – an individual more adept at planning than delivering.

Link to Groux’s Grand Enterprise... (1855) on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/546724

A rare item, and a great piece of numismatic Americana!

I'm always scouting for new content for the NNP, and have been particularly focused on periodicals.  Can anyone help with this one?

 The Commemorative Trail
This great 1980s-era publication on U.S. commemorative coins had lots of nicely illustrated articles.  Anthony Swiatek was one of the principals behind it, but he reports that his only set was lost in shipping years ago.  I no longer have my issues, and don't believe the ANS or ANA libraries have sets either.  If you've got a run of The Commemorative Trail, please let us know.  Thanks.
-Editor

Link to The Asylum (October-December 2012) on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/510167?page=15

Link to Strobridge catalog of the Groux collection, April 1874:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctionlots?AucCoId=511772&AuctionId=512117&page=12

NEWMAN PORTAL SEARCH: 1719 SEDE VACANTE

Project Coordinator Len Augsburger offers observations related to content being searched for on the Newman Numismatic Portal. This week's search term is "1719 Sede Vacante".
-Editor

This week a Newman Portal user searched on the term “1719 Sede Vacante.” I have no idea what this is, but let’s find out. NNP identifies only 9 auction appearances, so it must be a fairly obscure item. The most recent appearance is from Stack’s Bowers January 2015 NY International sale, lot 3700, which identifies it as a German medal and catalogs it as follows: “Paderborn. Silver Medal, 1719. Sede Vacante. 44.67 mm; 29.2 gms. Zepernick-241. Charlemagne in a circle of shields; Reverse: Saint Liborius in a circle of shields.” Wikipedia tells us that St. Liborius is the patron saint of Paderborn – but the story goes deeper:

“Miracles are said to have occurred at his [Laborius’s] tomb. In 835 Bishop Aldrich [of Le Mans, St. Liborius’s home in what is modern day France] placed some relics of his body into an altar in the cathedral, and in the following year, on the instructions of Emperor Louis the Pious, sent the body to Bishop Badurad of Paderborn, a diocese founded in 799 by Pope Leo III and Emperor Charlemagne that had no saint of its own.

>From this arose a ‘love bond of lasting brotherhood’ that has survived all the hostilities of the succeeding centuries and is considered to be the oldest contract still in force...In view of the power that veneration of Saint Liborius has had in binding peoples together, Archbishop Johannes Joachim Degenhardt of Paderborn established in 1977 the Saint Liborius Medal for Unity and Peace, which is conferred every five years on someone who has contributed to the unity of Europe on Christian principles.”

The 1719 Sede Vecante is thus a medal that appeals to Eurpoean unity within the context of Christianity and French-German relations.

Images: 1719 Sede Vacante medal from Stack’s Bowers January 2015 New York International sale, lot 3700 (realized $458.25).

Link to Stack’s Bowers January 2015 NY International sale catalog on NNP:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctionlots?AucCoId=3&AuctionId=517153&page=72

I would add that broadening the query by dropping the date finds articles defining the "sede vacante" term as "vacant seat," such as this 2013 E-Sylum article.
-Editor

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum