The E-Sylum v21n41 October 14, 2018

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Oct 14 19:47:57 PDT 2018

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 21, Number 41, October 14, 2018
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 14, 2018
<#a01>
**
NBS FOUNDING MEMBERS LIST UPDATE
<#a02>
**
KOLBE & FANNING EPHEMERA SALE NO. 4 ANNOUNCED
<#a03>
**
BRYCE BROWN NUMISMATIC LITERATURE OFFERINGS
<#a04>
**
RICHARD STOCKLEY OFFERS DISCOUNT
<#a05>
**
BOOK REVIEW: UNITED STATES PROOF COINS, VOLUME IV
<#a06>
**
SEABY’S COIN AND MEDAL BULLETIN ON NEWMAN PORTAL
<#a07>
**
A TYPICAL DAY AT THE NEWMAN PORTAL
<#a08>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 14, 2018
<#a09>
**
MORE ON THE 1930S DIE STRUCK SHELLS
<#a10>
**
WORTHY COIN COMPANY START DATE
<#a11>
**
VOCABULARY TERM: NIELLO
<#a12>
**
SAMUEL BISPHAM (1796-1885)
<#a13>
**
PRINCETON WORKSHOP ON SASANIAN COINS & HISTORY
<#a14>
**
BANK NEGARA MUSEUM NUMISMATIC GALLERIES
<#a15>
**
SELECTIONS FROM HOLABIRD OCTOBER 2018 SALES
<#a16>
**
NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: OCTOBER 14, 2018
<#a17>
**
WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: OCTOBER 14, 2018
<#a18>
**
HOLEY DOLLAR AND DUMP: MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE
<#a19>
**
MAXIMILIAN FYSCHER WORLD WAR I PLAQUE
<#a20>
**
THE OVEREND WWI FRENCH MEDAL COLLECTION
<#a21>
**
HIDDEN MESSAGES IN HAY INTERNMENT CAMP NOTES
<#a22>
**
BANK OF ENGLAND ANNOUNCES £50 NOTE CHANGES
<#a23>
**
'HIDDEN SECRETS' OF THE $1 BILL
<#a24>
**
AUDIO: THE STORY OF MONEY
<#a25>
**
LOOSE CHANGE: OCTOBER 14, 2018
<#a26>
**
THE LARGEST COIN PYRAMID IN THE WORLD
<#a27>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 14, 2018

New subscribers this week include:
Erwin Leidolf, and
Purush.
Welcome aboard! We now have 5,776 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

This week we open with some NBS history, sales from three numismatic literature dealers, a book review, and updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal.

Other topics this week include the Worthy Coin Company, collector Samuel Bispham, numismatic workshops and museums, auction highlights, the Holey dollars and dumps, and World War I medals and plaques.

To learn more about Mint postcards, fantasy Channel Islands tokens,  International Workers of the World strike scrip,
 the St. Ignatius In California medal, the Overend medal collection, non-buyer's remorse, and Teddy Bear Currency, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NBS FOUNDING MEMBERS LIST UPDATE

Pete Smith submitted this update on his effort to identify early members of our Society.  Thanks.
-Editor

Two weeks ago I inquired about the founding members of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society
who met in St. Louis in 1979. I have corresponded with George F. Kolbe who started the society
with Jack Collins. Kolbe recalls that there was a brief meeting in the hotel lounge followed by a
dinner. People who attended were in agreement that there should be an organized society for
those who collect numismatic literature. He could not recall who was at the dinner.

In the past three weeks I have corresponded with five people who recall being at the dinner and
another five people who might have been there but were not. From these discussions, I have
come up with a partial list of those who attended.

Those who were definitely at the dinner include Jack Collins, George Kolbe, Q. David Bowers,
Keith Kelman, Denis Loring, and Jesse Patrick. Others who may have attended include John
Bergman, Armand Champa, Jon Hanson and Cal Wilson.

Next year will be the 40th anniversary of our Society. I have been working with NBS Historian
Joel Orosz to review the limited membership records. Perhaps a long ignored record will turn up
to clarify this important list of founding members.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

LIST OF NBS FOUNDING MEMBERS SOUGHT

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n39a02.html)

KOLBE & FANNING EPHEMERA SALE NO. 4 ANNOUNCED

Numismatic ephemera holds a special place in my heart - these wisps of paper, little announcements, accompanying documentation, letters and other items not generally saved or appreciated at the time are sometimes more rare and valuable than the numismatic items they describe.  Kolbe & Fanning are holding another of their ephemera sales - see the catalog for complete information.  Here's the press release.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers are announcing our fourth Numismatic Ephemera Sale, which includes 100 lots of memorabilia, short sale catalogues, photographs, letters, brochures, leaflets, booklets: all sorts of material that doesn’t necessarily fit well in a book auction but which is interesting nonetheless.

Items in the current sale include:

 Lots 326 and 327

Lot 326: Three mint building postcards

Lot 327: A collection of postcards depicting world coins in metallic relief

Lots 348 and 372

Lot 348: John J. Ford's room copy of the Great Afflect-Ball Collection

Lot 372: Original McKenney & Hall print of White Pigeon wearing an Indian peace medal

Lots 376 and 397

Lot 376: Early ANA controversy documents

Lot 397: Don Taxay's "Counterfeit, Mis-struck, and Unofficial U.S. Coins" publication correspondence

The catalogue is in PDF form only: there is no printed catalogue, nor is there online bidding. This is purely an old-school mail-bid sale. The catalogue may be downloaded from Kolbe & Fanning’s website at

numislit.com
.

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 GET YOUR RED BOOK AUTOGRAPHED!
The new hardcover 2019 Red Book features a gold-foil portrait of Kenneth Bressett on the back cover, and a special 10-page tribute as he retires to the new position of Editor Emeritus. Get two copies for $31 postpaid—one for daily use, one to have signed by Ken Bressett, “Mr. Red Book,” for your collection. Use code RB19SPECIAL when ordering online
at
Whitman.com
.

BRYCE BROWN NUMISMATIC LITERATURE OFFERINGS

Numismatic literature dealer Bryce Brown of Connecticut has  new stock available on his web site.  He sent this summary.
Thanks.
-Editor

I have updated my Numismatic Literature website to include new offerings.
Notable items include:

         A deluxe edition of Wayte Raymond’s W.W.C. Wilson part 1 catalog, with 45 photographic plates

         A second W.W.C. Wilson part 1 catalog, a bound salesroom copy

         Eight Volumes of the American Journal of Numismatics from the Charles I. Bushnell & Virgil M. Brand libraries, bound in four volumes.  Among these is Volume 3, which features the important “Levick plate” of early cents

         Thirty nine early Thomas Elder auction catalogs, 1908-1924, including numerous rare WWI era numbers, bound in three volumes

         An original Weyl catalog of the Jules Fonrobert collection part 2 (Mexico & Central America) in two volumes in half calf, ex. Virgil Brand library

         1848 Sotheby’s Pembroke sale, priced and named, half morocco, ex. Edmund B. Wynn (N.Y. Stamp & Coin 2/1893 sale) and Virgil Brand libraries

         1909 Sotheby’s Rashleigh sale, priced and named, bound by Spink & Son, ex. Virgil Brand library

         Breen’s 1977 “The Care and Preservation of Rare Coins” audio “talking book” record

         A bound set of original Albert A. Grinnell auction catalogs, by Barney Bluestone, 1944-1946

         The first 12 volumes of The Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine, 1935-1946, ex. Harry Bass

         Many other scarce and important auction catalogs, periodicals, and reference books

I welcome E-Sylum readers to browse my fixed price lists at

http://brycebooks.squarespace.com/

RICHARD STOCKLEY OFFERS DISCOUNT

Numismatic literature dealer Richard Stockley of Canada is holding a sale.  See the link below to peruse his stock and contact him via email at rstockley at videotron.ca.  Here's his email announcement from October 11, 2018.
-Editor

I need to move some titles so I am offering the following deal. Take 40% off all my stock that is listed on the ABEBOOKS site. Postage is, of course, extra. The sale will commence today and end at 3pm EST on 25 Oct. Please, no calls, emails only. Some titles are available in quantity so let me know if you want extra copies and I will let you know if it’s possible.

You will have to deal directly with me and not through the site or you will not receive the discount.

To view his stock on AbeBooks, see:

https://www.abebooks.com/bookseller/stockleysbooks

BOOK REVIEW: UNITED STATES PROOF COINS, VOLUME IV

Dealer and E-Sylum supporter Doug Winter
of Portland, OR submitted this review of John Dannreuther's new book on U.S. proof gold.  Thanks!
-Editor

UNITED STATES PROOF COINS, VOLUME IV BY JOHN DANNREUTHER: A REVIEW

When it was released in 1988, Walter Breen’s Complete Encyclopedia of US and
Colonial Coins was considered his magnum opus. But like the poorly-bound book itself,
the more you used the Breen reference, the more it fell apart. Clearly, as the years
passed, it was evident that a new reference work was required for the misunderstood
area of US Proof coinage.

I’ve known John Dannreuther for longer than I care to admit and for close to
30 (?) years, he’s been telling me about his work on an all-encompassing reference on
US Proofs; a book that would once and for all bury the inaccuracies of the Breen
book and make order out of this messy area of the hobby.

I received JD’s new book(s) on Proof gold around a month ago and I’ve been
treating them like I would a bottle of fine old Scotch. This isn’t a book that you sit
and read in large gulps. It’s meant to sit on your shelf and get taken down a few times
per week and—even then—read in short bursts.

There have been very few books on US coins which I regard as “game
changers.” Crosby’s book on Colonials is certainly one
as is Penny Whimsy. In the
area of specialized books, there are dozens of books which have had huge impact but
only within their little areas of focus. I regard the new Dannreuther book as a game
changer and a book against which all future books on US coins will be measured.

The most important questions collectors will ask about Proofs are: “What is a
Proof?” “How rare is a specific issue in Proof” and “What is it worth?” The
Dannreuther books do a terrific job of answering the first two questions and wisely
stay clear of the problems inherent with including values in reference works.

I have always had an affinity for the extremely rare early Proofs (those struck
from the early part of the 19 th century through the beginning of numismatics as we
know it in the late 1850’s). The Dannreuther book does a superb job of explaining
early Proofs, through diagnostics and numismatic history. This includes going the
extra mile with the especially complex Classic Head proofs.

The most difficult issues to determine their method of manufacture are gold
dollars from the 1880’s. Even experts are often stumped by the difference between
early business strikes (which appear fully prooflike) and genuine Proofs (which
sometimes look like business strikes should). The Dannreuther book does a superb
job of determining the differences between the two and through the use of clear
images, shows the proper diagnostics for business strikes and Proofs.

Another complex area of Proof gold are the Matte/Sandblast issues of 1908-
1915. The reason for the use of these new finishes is properly explained and
diagnostics are provided. I would personally have liked the book to show large images
of the differences in textures and colors for each year, as well as images which show
what a “ruined” Matte Proof gold coin looks like after it has been conserved. The
author makes mention of this on page 688 but some accompanying images would
have been helpful.

My only issue with this exceptional book is its bulk and size. The two volumes
total 1031 pages and are housed in a slipcover. The sheer bulk of these books make
using them somewhat difficult and I wonder if it wouldn’t have made more sense to
have produced slimmer volumes which featured one denomination.

United States Proof Coins Volume IV is an essential addition to any collector’s
library and I believe it is a book that, like Crosby on Colonials, will retain its
usefulness a century or more past its date of publication.

The first three chapters are quite interesting and useful for all numismatists regardless of whether they collect or deal in the rare and valuable proof gold coins discussed in the rest of the two volumes.  Chapter One is an "Introduction to Proof Coinage", followed by "Why and Where Were Proof and Master Coins Made?" and "How Were Proof and Master Coins Made?"

The book has been well worth the decades-long wait, and we'll all look forward to subsequent volumes in the series.  Printed on thick glossy paper, the color photos throughout are a dream, with quite a few close-ups revealing important diagnostic details.

Measures of type rarity, date rarity and variety rarity are included for each piece.  Up to a dozen or so significant examples are enumerated with detailed provenances.  Mint records including die use and destruction documents have been consulted, as have the body of U.S. coin auction catalogs.  JD has brought together all of the pertinent facts and thought through their implications for each piece.

It's no wonder this book was 40 years in the making.  The effort shows.  And now every one of us can be the beneficiary of that work.  See the earlier article for ordering information.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: U.S. PROOF COINS VOL IV: GOLD

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n07a02.html)

SEABY’S COIN AND MEDAL BULLETIN ON NEWMAN PORTAL

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic
Portal is Seaby’s Coin and Medal Bulletin. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

With the kind permission of Michael Gasvoda and Victor England of the Classical Numismatic Group (CNG), Seaby’s Coin and Medal Bulletin has been added to Newman Portal. A house organ of the first rank, Seaby’s contained useful articles on British and ancient numismatics, news updates, society announcements, and, naturally, a monthly list of items for sale. Published in London (readers were advised to use the Oxford Circus underground station), Seaby’s was focused on English collectors, but occasionally featured important American content. R. W. Julian’s articles in the October and November 1962 issues, for example, established the English (Birmingham) origin of the 1791 Washington cents. Seaby’s was acquired by the Classical Numismatic Group in 1991, which continues operations today, specializing in Greek, Roman, and British coins

Image: R. W. Julian article, “The Digges Letters,” from the October 1962 issue of Seaby’s Coin and Medal Bulletin.

Link to Seaby’s Coin and Medal Bulletin on Newman Portal::

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/528776

Link to Classical Numismatic Group:

https://www.cngcoins.com/

A TYPICAL DAY AT THE NEWMAN PORTAL

In an email October 5, 2018, Newman Numismatic Portal Project Coordinator Len Augsburger described a typical day behind the scenes at NNP.
-Editor

What Happens on a Typical Day at Newman Portal?

Here's a look behind the scenes on Thursday, October 4:

Len Augsburger, Newman Portal project coordinator at Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL), worked with Simcha Kuritzky of the Maryland State Numismatic Association to integrate electronic copies of their publication, The Maryland Numismatist, into NNP. Len also worked with author George Cuhaj on Cuhaj's monograph, Pennsylvania Railroad Medal for Heroic Service. In between, Len processed portions of Eric P. Newman's electronic correspondence covering the period 2006-2017.

Nicole Fry, WUSTL library technical assistant, continued scanning a 30-year run of Seaby's Coin and Medal Bulletin, a British publication that has been opened with the kind permission of Classical Numismatic Group, the successor firm of Seaby's.

Shannon Davis, WUSTL digitization manager, worked with a vendor on the acquisition of a third scanning machine for our St. Louis scanning lab at Washington University.

At the American Numismatic Society (ANS), Internet Archive scanner Lara Jacobs continues scanning the S.H. & H. Chapman letterpress copy books, representing correspondence of this important Philadelphia firm from 1883 to 1890. The ANS provides space for Newman Portal equipment, in addition to making library material available for scanning. Meanwhile, contractor John Graffeo is processing scans from his recent visit to the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration in Philadelphia.

Our numismatic community liaison, Wayne Homren, continues to work with a number of potential NNP partners. At any time, discussions with approximately a dozen possible contributors are underway, and these will be announced in due course as they are concluded.

Finally, the software programming team, led by John Feigenbaum at Collectibles Technology Company, delivered a new "power search" capability, which, while a bit more complex, gives users greater capability to form more targeted search queries (try it out

here).

To visit the Newman Portal, see:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 14, 2018

 More on Testoons and Shillings
Last week David Powell questioned Allan Davisson's assertion that "Shillings were a Tudor innovation that began with the coinage reform under Edward VI," stating that "Previously known as testoons, but of a similar twelve pence value, they originated c.1504 under Henry VII. "

David Hoover writes:

I am pretty sure Mr. Davisson knows as much about testoons as those who wrote in to say he was wrong about the first shillings. After all, just because another coin had the same value in pence does not mean it was the same coin. I am thinking that when testoons existed the name shilling did not so I would have to say he is technically correct.

I have always thought it was wrong myself when people would say that they are the same. There are an awful lot of coins of the same value with different names.  I know that is not what the Royal Mint says, but how can something be something else that doesn’t exist yet?

Allan Davisson writes:

“The gold sovereign, the silver crown and the shilling piece were all Tudor innovations…” (Challis. The Tudor Coinage. P. 211)

Were I to rewrite the piece, I would say “formally began” rather than simply “began” under Edward VI. However, the point remains that there was no currency piece
known as a “shilling” before the Edward VI reform.

Strictly speaking, the term is much older than the Tudors. It was a monetary measure used in Saxon times. It was not until Edward VI’s reign that the term was applied to a currency coin.

The testoon of Henry VII was based on the Italian term testone, a European denomination. The Henry VII piece “never became more than a token or trial issue…” (Challis) It was struck to a standard of 144 grains.

The testoon of Henry VIII was a debased issue and the demonetization of 1548 (Edward VI’s reign) converted them to groats. (Challis)

The actual shilling as we know it began at a 96 grain standard under Edward VI and after some small fluctuation essentially settled at 92 ¾ grains. Eventually, in the milled series, it ended up at 87 grains.

Thanks, everyone!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

THE SHILLINGS OF ELIZABETH I

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n39a24.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 7, 2018 : Testoons and Shillings

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n40a08.html)

 Non-Buyer's Remorse
Douglas Saville writes:

“THE FINEST WORK ON GREEK COINS EVER PRINTED”

Dennis Kroh was almost certainly correct (as he was in many of his opinions) when he described Kraay and Hirmer’s magnificent “Greek Coins” thus. When I read Bill Daehn’s article about his acquisition of a (too?) reasonably-priced copy of this lovely volume in the Summer, 2018 issue of The Asylum I was reminded of my time at Spinks, London.

In the mid-1970’s Thames and Hudson, the original publishers of the book offered Spinks in London the remaining stock of the book - some 250 copies…… It had been published at £6.6. (six guineas, or £6.30 in today’s money) – for, probably, a ridiculously low “remainder” price. At the time Spink had published a significant number of books, reprinted several standard works, and I had purchased quite a few large libraries, so we were somewhat stretched.  In 1966 we had purchased a large quantity of this wonderful book, and sold most, but still had stock in our warehouse…..After consideration, Howard Linecar and I declined the offer.

Thames and Hudson Ltd, sold these remaining copies to Harry Abrams Inc. of New York, who printed their own jackets, overprinted the title page with their name, and marketed the book in the US as their own publication. After a couple of years, they still had a large number left, and they offered those to us. We took them, and we repriced the book - at £10. It sold slowly….….and then, in due course it went out-of-print, and the price started to escalate…. until, in more recent years mint copies have been sold for $750 or more. A reasonably nice example can still be had for $450 or less.

The moral is, buy the book when you can get it for the published price, don’t wait until it is reduced in price, as it may never be reduced in price, but it might just go out of print and the price may well escalate, as most really good books often tend to do, especially in our area of interest. I have seen it happen so often.

How true!  It has for years been my daydream to chance across a bookstore with a pile of these for sale at $10 apiece.  It would be a nice way to finance a vacation after getting past my wife's you-are-not-going-to-buy-another-damn-book speech.
-Editor

 German Magazine Features Hobo Nickels
Original Hobo Nickel Society President Carol Bastable writes:

In a recent post on the OHNS Facebook page,  Aleksey Saburov noted discovering an article about Hobo Nickels in the 27th. issue of the German publication "Magazin fur Herrenkultur".
Google translates that to "Magazine for Men's Culture".

Nice. Carol provided these images.  Thanks.  The English edition is called The Heritage Post.
-Editor

 Withrow Defacing U.S. Currency
Regarding Treasurer Mary Ellen Withrow,
O. T. Thompson writes:

 It was in 1999 or 2000 when Ms. Withrow came to an ANA to sign autographs.  I had just started stamping Viking ships on my currency (To commemorate the Viking's discovery of America 2,000 years prior.) so I thought I'd ask her to sign one.  When I placed it in front of her, she saw the ship stamp and asked, "Did you do this?"

     I replied, "Yes, Ma'am, I did."

     She responded, "You know we frown on people defacing U. S. currency."

     I smiled and said, "You mean like signing their name to currency with a permanent ink pen?

    She paused, looked up, then smiled and said, "I gotcha.", and signed it.

     I'll bet Ms. Withrow has autographed more currency than ANY other government official!

Cool story.  Thanks!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

ARTICLE PROFILES MARY ELLEN WITHROW

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n40a13.html)

 More on the Fantasy Channel Islands Tokens
Scott Semans writes:

You were looking for a Numismatics International Bulletin article on these.  Perhaps this is a reference to a letter I had published in the January, 1980 issue asking for information on them.  I received numerous responses, none citing an earlier article, though something could have been published subsequently.

I received numerous responses.  Someone sent me a typed copy of letters which appeared in the November and December, 1972 issues of Seaby's Bulletin, which may be the earliest published reference to the series.  The more interesting response was from Richard Mayne, "(President, C.I. Occupation Society; Vice-President, Société Jersiase; author of 'Jersey Occupied' pub. by Jarrold's 1970)," who pronounced them clearly spurious.  Jürgen Mikeska of Friedrichsdorf, Germany gave a similar opinion in his article from Geldgeschichtliche Nachrichten #74 (date?) which included photos of 12 different uniface pieces.  He had contacted numerous parties in Britain and Germany who knew nothing of them, and included a 1979 letter from R. W. Higginbottom, curator of the museum of the Société Jersiase, who pronounced them "recent forgeries. . . since 1960 . ."

Some pages torn from an undated price list which offers numerous Nazi pins, badges, medals, etc. at too-cheap prices, only some items designated "replicas," suggest that they were made by someone whose specialty was fake Nazi memorabilia.  Mikeska pictured twelve different in the series, and neither the unattributed sales catalog nor my own records show any additional types, so that may be the extent of the series.

Scott provided the following images.  Thank you!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

FANTASY JERSEY FIVE REICHMARK TOKEN

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n40a09.html)

 High Cost of Living Postcard

Carol Bastable writes:

In reference to the 5 billion mark, this is a postcard I picked up on eBay within the last month.  I enjoy collecting various types of numismatic ephemera and had found this one unusual as numismatic postcards go.  As you will see, there is a reference to inflation with the high cost of an onion.

In my high school history class I remember learning about people taking shopping carts full of money to the grocery store to buy food in post WWI Germany.  German money was printed at will to pay off war debts and lost pretty much all its value as a result.  When I bought this, I felt the card illustrated that history lesson very well.  However I am not certain this is actually a reference to Germany or just a satirical general statement.  The money is designed to be generic and could represent almost any country.

The H.C.L. stands for the high cost of living.  The card is not postmarked but the reference to island possessions, Cuba Canada, and Mexico might give a lead as to date.  The very early 1900's cards just reference postage for domestic with one cent and foreign with 2 cents.  The added locales on this card may support a different and later time period.

Interesting. Thanks!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: OCTOBER 7, 2018 : 1923 German 5 Billion Mark Banknote

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n40a24.html)

MORE ON THE 1930S DIE STRUCK SHELLS

Gawain O'Connor writes:

About those items Mike Sanders mentioned. There have been a few discussions of them on the PCGS forum, and "The Penny Lady" Charmy Harker said she is writing an article.

I have one of them and vaguely remember the seller mentioning they were originally promoted by the Boy Scouts, but I have no reference to back that up.
Anyway, here are a couple links and pictures.

To read the PCGS forum discussions, see:

capped cents from 1934? (exonumia question)

(https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/721036/capped-cents-from-1934-exonumia-question)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12013981#Comment_12013981

Thanks.
One of the respondents wrote that these were sold by the Tatum Stamp and Coin Company.
We'll look forward to Charmy's article.
-Editor

Ken Barr writes:

Wikipedia
attributes these to "local coin dealer" Louis Werner.  I've also seen them
attributed to Tatham Stamp and Coin, but without supporting references.
Since Tatham published numerous catalogs, I presume anything of this
nature that they produced would be listed in one or more of them ... perhaps
some E-Sylum reader with a Tatham catalog collection could check.

I have the Morro Castle, Hauptmann trial and Byrd Expedition pieces in
my collection, but have not seen the Joe Louis or Christmas items ...
something else to look for on my "bucket list".  Somewhere in my vast
Exonumia Closet I have a custom Capital Plastic holder with eight capped
cents in it.  I believe that they are only the three mentioned above, but with
various metals used for the cap (bronze, brass and silver, if I remember
correctly).

To read the Wikipedia article (scroll down to "Capped cents"), see:

Penny (United States coin)

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_%28United_States_coin%29)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

QUERY: ADMIRAL BYRD DIE SHELL INFORMATION SOUGHT

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n40a10.html)

WORTHY COIN COMPANY START DATE

Regarding the article on Massachusetts dealer Corrado Romano of
Romano's Coin Shop and the Worthy Coin Company,
Michael Greenspan writes:

The bio in last week’s issue reminded me of a token issued by the Worthy Coin Corp to commemorate their 50th anniversary, 1938-1988.  That seems to dispute the 1943 start date shown in the bio.

Mike also kindly provided the below transcription of the legends.  Thanks!
-Editor

The obverse depicts a plugged bust of Liberty with: LIBERTY PARENT OF SCIENCE & INDUST:around.  Dated 1792

The verbiage on the reverse is:
THE/WORTHY/COIN/1938-1988/CELEBRATING 50 years OF/NUMISMATIC EXCELLENCE/CORRADO ROMANO/FOUNDER 1928/INC. 1938

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

DON CORRADO ROMANO (1903-1984)

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n40a12.html)

I also reached out to researcher John Lupia, who wrote the original article.
-Editor

John Lupia writes:

If Corrado Romano made the claim that Worthy Coin was established in 1938 it must have a basis in reality since he had no reason to make the statement otherwise. He was also a very honest person as was his son. He might have formed the Worthy Corporation for legal and financial purposes in 1938 since I did find a Worthy Coin Corporation advertisement, located at 184 Summer Street, Dept. 35,
Boston, Massachusetts, Popular Mechanics, Vol. 71, No. 5, May (1939) : 38A 1st Column bas de page. I see this same ad as early as April 1939. I did not find any mention of Worthy Coin in The Numismatist in the 1930's, i.e., 1938-1939. The same with Hobbies, and Numismatic Scrapbook. Romano may have formed the corporation but still traded as Romano's Coin Shop as the FRAUDULENT cover dated July 1938 indicates.

Perhaps someone has a FPL, invoices or other materials dated to 1938 that bear the new corporate name Worthy Coin. When it emerges outside of the Popular Mechanics ads in a more substantive form is an interesting research project. He seems to have been flying under the wire to avoid conflict with Postmaster Farley by changing the company name and address. After reestablishing his business as Worthy Coin without complaints he was in the clear and became popularly known in 1940's.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

DON CORRADO ROMANO (1903-1984)

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n40a12.html)

VOCABULARY TERM: NIELLO

Dick Johnson submitted this entry from his Encyclopedia of Coin and Medal Terminology.  Thanks.  It's a  rare term often overlooked by collectors.
-Editor

 Niello.
A design entirely of engraved lines. Niello medals have a flat background or field which is engraved (CISELE). They can be struck from dies which have very fine lines or niello medals can be hand engraved (one at a time). Niello dies must be handled with extreme care, since they are entirely of fine raised lines they are susceptible to damage.

Early niello objects, including medals, had the incised lines filled with a material composed of copper, lead and sulphur of borax – a form of black FILL-IN which was fired and polished. Such objects lacked modulated relief as all niello is biplanar – of two planes – incised lines in a flat surface with a fill-in of the incised lines.

The modern photoengraving process can produce medals of this type (PHOTOETCHED) from a black-and-white drawing – and the Paris Mint has issued numerous medals in this cartoon-like style – however the process is not widely used elsewhere in modern times. True niello has the black fill-in of the sulphur/borax composition. An imitation niello would be made in modern times with black enamel or crayon fill-in. A bas-relief model is not required for a niello medal, only a drawing.

CLASS 07.8

Book lovers should be word lovers as well.

Looking for the meaning of a numismatic word, or the description of a term?   Try the Newman Numismatic Portal's Numismatic Dictionary at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/dictionary

Or if you would  like a printed copy of the complete Encyclopedia, it is available.
 There are 1,854 terms, on 678 pages, in The Encyclopedia of Coin and Medal Technology.  Even running two a week would require more than 19 years to publish them all.
If you would like an advance draft of this vital reference work it may be obtained from the author for your check of $50 sent postpaid. Dick Johnson, 139 Thompson Drive, Torrington, CT 06790.

SAMUEL BISPHAM (1796-1885)

John Lupia submitted the following information from the online draft of his book of numismatic biographies for this week's installment of his series. Thanks!  As always, this is an excerpt with the full article and bibliography available online. This week's subject is Philadelphia collector Samuel Bispham.
-Editor

Samuel Bispham (1796-1885), was born on October 14, 1796, on Market Street, Philadelphia, son of Samuel Bispham (1753-1808), a hatter, and Anna Ellis Bispham. His grandfather Joshua Bispham (1706-), came to America 1738 from Bispham, Lancashire, England and settled as a farmer in Moorestown, Burlington County, New Jersey. There he married  Ruth Atkinson (1718-).  They had two sons Samuel and Joseph. Samuel Bispham, Sr. came to Philadelphia with his younger brother Joseph Bispham in 1772. During the yellow fever epidemic 1798-1799 in Philadelphia, Samuel Bispham, Sr., and his family moved to the family farm in Moorestown. Adolescent Samuel used to travel into Philadelphia to help sell the farm produce.

In 1808, after the death of his father he worked for William Carman's grocery store on Market Street. He stayed there until 1810 then entering the firm of John Snyder, also on Market Street, working as a bookkeeper and salesman.

In 1815, he became partners with Jacob Alter, opening a grocery store, Alter & Bispham, 825 Market Street.

In 1830, Atler retired and Bispham became sole proprietor.

In 1834, he purchased the building at 629 Market Street, from Horner & Wilson. At the formation of the Henry Clay Whig Party Samuel Bispham joined as a loyal member until its dissolution in 1860.

On December 25, 1823, he married Maria Stokes (1796-1880) at Burlington, New Jersey. They  had six children...

In 1851, he brought his two sons into the business forming Samuel Bispham & Sons, wholesale grocers and commission merchants in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

His coin collection was sold by the Chapman Brothers from February 11-12, 1880, at Bangs & Company, New York. The 38 page catalogue comprised 1024 lots. The 1794 Silver Dollar sold for $27. The 1836 Gobrecht Dollar sold for $42.10. Chalmers Shilling $5.50. 1815 Half Eagle $150. Wyon's Immune Columbia Pattern $36. Proof Washington Before Boston $7.50. Three Kettle brass imitation tokens of U. S. $2.50 and $5 gold pieces Lot 797  sold for 6 cents each.

He died on October 4, 1885, ten days before his 89th birthday at his home 263 North 6th Street, Philadelphia. He is buried at Laurel Hill Cemetery, Philadelphia.

To read the complete article, see:

BISPHAM, SAMUEL

(https://sites.google.com/a/numismaticmall.com/www/numismaticmall-com/bispham-samuel)

* * * * *

The entire inventory of the Lupia Numismatic Library is for sale.  Individual items will be available before the remaining archives are broken up into parcels sold at philatelic auctions in the U. S. and Hong Kong.  Check

NumismaticMall.com frequently as dozens of new items with estimates will be posted daily until everything is sold.

All inquiries will be given prompt and courteous attention. Write to:

john at numismaticmall.com
.

PRINCETON WORKSHOP ON SASANIAN COINS & HISTORY

Alan Stahl,
Curator of Numismatics at the  Princeton University
Firestone Library submitted this announcement of an upcoming workshop on Sasanian coinages.
-Editor

On Saturday, November 3, the Princeton University Numismatic Collection will host a day-long workshop on Sasanian and related coinages in conjunction with the University’s Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Iran and Persian Gulf Studies.

The workshop will take place in 202 Jones Hall from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; it is open to the public without charge. It will feature presentations from the world’s leading experts on the coinage of Rome’s rival to the east and include a special exhibition of coins from the collection of Robert W. Schaaf, recently acquired by Princeton with the generous support of Anahita Naficy Lovelace ’75 and the Friends of the Princeton University Library.

Those planning to attend should RSVP to iran at princeton.edu by October 25 to ensure seating and reserve a free lunch.  Anyone wishing further information can contact Alan Stahl, Princeton’s Curator of Numismatics, at astahl at princeton.edu or the Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Iran and Persian Gulf Studies at iran at princeton.edu.

BANK NEGARA MUSEUM NUMISMATIC GALLERIES

This article from the New Straits Times highlights numismatic exhibits at the Bank Negara Museum and Art Gallery in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
-Editor

It is not every day that one gets to become a counterfeit detector agent to check for counterfeit money. Well, today I have been given the chance. Save for the humming of the airconditioner, the room I am in is so quiet and cold. I slip on my glasses. In front of me is a device, about the size of a brick, that emits purple-coloured UV light. My task is to check the authenticity of a RM50 banknote.

To the untrained eye, the note may look identical to other banknotes but there are several security features that will tell me if it is a genuine banknote. For instance, the design patterns are of songket-weaving, which are featured prominently in the background and edges of the banknote.

Setting down the banknote, I feel for the diamond-shaped marking with a layer of tactile ink printed on the top left corner of the note. Next, I put the note under the UV light and look for the watermark portrait of Malaysia’s first Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman, on the obverse side. At the base of the watermark, the numeral 50 must be clearly visible under bright light.

Things get a little exciting from here: Under the UV light, I have to look for the holographic stripe that has the denomination 50 and the hibiscus flower. When I tilt the banknote slightly, I can see the holograph effect with its multi-coloured spectrum. This RM50 note has passed the test; it’s a genuine note.

Tired of squinting at the micro-letterings on the note, I decide to head out to the RM1 Million Tunnel. Here, I feast my eyes on all four generations of banknotes used in the nation.

So where am I? This is the Children’s Gallery of the Bank Negara Malaysia Museum and Art Gallery in the Sasana Kijang building on Jalan Dato’ Onn in Kuala Lumpur.

Other Galleries
But that’s not the only cool gallery here. There are six: Numismatic Gallery where the Children’s Gallery is located, Bank Negara Malaysia Gallery, Economics Gallery, Islamic Finance Gallery and an art gallery. Children’s gallery. The Economics Gallery (left) and the Art gallery .

At the Numismatic Gallery, I learn about the early history of money, when objects of different shapes and sizes were commonly accepted as currency in the region. Objects such as cowrie shells were used by early humans as metal tool money (in the shape of knife and spade) like the ones used in China.

Those keen to learn about barter trade can choose to become early traders in this section. Selecting a role as an early Chinese merchant from the Ming dynasty, who has just arrived from China with precious goods like tea and silk, my goal is to trade it with a fellow merchant for spices.

Next, I move to another section where coins and notes from the early days are on display. I see well-preserved gold and silver in different shapes, sizes and weight formerly used as a form of currency. One particular piece catches my eyes.

The Tin Animal Money, a form of currency used by the royals of the Malay Peninsula in the 15th century, is on display here. Crocodile, beetle and chicken are some of the common shapes.

Also on display are currencies used during the British colonial days as well as those from the Japanese Occupation in Malaya.

The museum is packed with interactive displays, fancy artwork, artefacts and information cards detailing the exhibits. At each gallery you may also find a smaller room with more interactive displays, like the one in the Bank Negara Malaysia Gallery. In one, I hop on a stationary bike and pedal at a certain pace to access information about the history of money.

To read the complete article, see:

Six galleries on money matters

(https://www.pressreader.com/malaysia/new-straits-times/20181011/282303911092438)

SELECTIONS FROM HOLABIRD OCTOBER 2018 SALES

Here are some items that caught my eye in the upcoming Holabird sale.
-Editor

 1905 International Workers of the World Strike Scrip

In 1905 the International Workers of the World (IWW or Wobblies) was created. In 1906 Goldfield had suddenly emerged as the biggest, most important, richest mining area in the United States. It would make a great place for the IWW to flex its muscles. In December of 1906 and January of 1907 they orchestrated small strikes for higher wages and it looked like the union would win this victory. But at the same time George Wingfield was gaining strength among the mine owners. He has become the most important owner, powerful and was unscrupulous. He convinced Governor Sparks to get Teddy Roosevelt to call in Federal Troops. He manipulated a jury into finding the strike leaders guilty of various crimes. The strike utterly failed.

This scrip was one of the propaganda tools that the unions used. Spend your cash at the [fanciful] Exploitation Mercantile Company of the Consolidated Mines Company. This represented the company stores that the miners could use their scrip at. You would be an ‘E. Z. Mark’ if you went along with this scheme.

The back just reiterates what will happen if the mine owners get their way! Not only will the miners suffer, but the entire financial system will fall apart. The final interesting note is the crossed rifles in the bottom corner of the obverse. These must have been used after the Federal troops were called in to quell the strike. City: Goldfield, Esmeralda State: Nevada Date: HWAC# 99441

A fascinating piece of labor history - "Teddy Bear Currency".
-Editor

To read the complete lot description, see:

Extra Rare Goldfield IWW Strike Scrip

(https://holabirdamericana.liveauctiongroup.com/Extra-Rare-Goldfield-IWW-Strike-Scrip_i31464113)

 Fifteen Cent Fractional Currency Note

Freidberg 1275sp. Allison-Spinner. Uncirculated, stain in corner. City: State: Date: HWAC# 75074

I'm a Baby Boomer, so I might as well talk like a hippie.  It still really blows my mind that the United States government issued paper money in the denomination of fifteen cents.  Wow, man.  Nice example.
-Editor

 1995 Series US $10 Error Note, Unprinted Back

complete unprinted back, 1995 series, A, crisp uncirculated. sn A822434500B. This series not listed in Bart, Paper Money Errors, 2003. City: State: Date: HWAC# 75515

A great error note.
-Editor

To read the complete lot description, see:

 US $10 Error Note, Unprinted Back

(https://holabirdamericana.liveauctiongroup.com/US-10-Error-Note-Unprinted-Back_i31464119)

 St. Ignatius In California U.S. Mint Medal

Round white metal. Julian SC-48. Salvatore Falcone Collection. City: State: California Date: 1881 HWAC# 81574

An unusual U.S. Mint medal.  Can anyone tell us the story behind this one?
-Editor

To read the complete lot description, see:

US Mint Medal-St. Ignatius In California

(https://holabirdamericana.liveauctiongroup.com/US-Mint-Medal-St-Ignatius-In-California_i31464137)

NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: OCTOBER 14, 2018

Here's a selection of interesting or unusual items I came across in the marketplace this week.  Tell us what you think of some of these.
-Editor

 1813 New South Wales Fifteen Pence (Dump)

As one of the first coins struck on Australian soil, this incredibly rare coin is fundamental to any collection of Australian coins.

The historical importance of the Dump is often overlooked, however it played just as much of a role in solving New South Wales' currency woes as the Holey Dollar. The way Henshall cut and struck the Dump determined whether both coins remained in circulation.

The holey dollars and the "dump" cut out to make the hole were important makeshift answers to the serious problem of circulating coinage.  One overweight Spanish dollar became two underweight circulating coins that wouldn't be melted down for their intrinsic value.  This piece is from the stock of
Andrew Crellin's Sterling & Currency.  A decent well-circulated example.   See an article from his blog elsewhere in this issue about the calculations and tradeoffs involved in cutting the host coin.
-Editor

To read the complete item description, see:

New South Wales 1813 Fifteen Pence (Dump) Very Good

(https://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/items/new-south-wales-1813-fifteen-pence-dump-very-good)

 1838 J-73 Pattern Half Dollar

1838 50C J-73 ORIGINAL PCGS PR64 CAC

It's already sold, but check out this great 1838 pattern half dollar I saw on the web site of E-Sylum supporter Harry Laibstain Rare Coins.  A beautifully toned piece.
-Editor

To vsit the HLRC web site, see:

http://hlrc.com/

 1870 Costa Rica Gold 10 Pesos

Costa Rica, 10 pesos, 1870GW, NGC MS 61. KM-115. Lustrous and deep, rich gold, with slightly crude fields per the type (also with central die-clashing), extremely rare in this quality (one of just two in Mint State in the NGC census, the other being an MS 62). NGC #4822204-003

>From the Daniel Frank Sedwick Treasure Auction 24, November 1-3, 2018.
-Editor

To read the complete lot description, see:

138 Costa Rica, 10 pesos, 1870GW, NGC MS 61.

(https://auction.sedwickcoins.com/Costa-Rica-10-pesos-1870GW-NGC-MS-61_i31506848)

WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: OCTOBER 14, 2018

 Steve's September 2018 Beauties
First, to clear up some old business, here are a couple images provided last month by Steve Bishop that I didn't manage to get into a diary.  He brought these to the September 2018 meeting of our northern Virginia numismatic social group Nummis Nova.  Steve's an active collector and eBay buyer who often brings interesting new purchases to our dinners.

1882-S Morgan PCGS MS64 Toned

1892 Danish Colombian Exposition Medal

The dollar looked nice in person - this image is yellowy.
Great medal.  There is such a great variety of these that I'm still coming across ones I hadn't seen before.

 October 2018 Nummis Nova

Fast forward a month to October 9, 2018.  After work I headed to The Esposito's Restaurant in Fairfax, VA.  Joe Esposito was our host and no, it's not his restaurant nor is he in any way related to the owners.  But that didn't stop us from kidding about it all evening.

I was the first of our group to arrive.  Eric Schena pulled into the parking lot before I'd even exited my car.  I was nursing a knee injury all evening and walking was painful.  But I took a seat at our table and had a wonderful time.

I sat next to our host Joe Esposito and learned that sales of his new book are going very well.  The hardbound first edition of Dinner in Camelot is nearly sold out.  He and his wife were at the recent History Book Festival in Lewes, Delaware.  It's a first-class event I wasn't aware of before.  Check out their web site for more information:

www.historybookfestival.org
.

Joe brought me a gift from the festival - the "Book Lovers' Soy Candle" to evoke the scent of Old Books - aged paper, dusty shelves.   I'm not sure my wife would appreciate that.  I asked if they sold an "Old Man Smell" candle, too.  We've already got enough of those scents around here.

Speaking of old men, one of the books I brought along I'd chosen randomly from my shelves at home: Fireside Yarns / 1001 Nights / Reminiscences of an Old Coin Man by Paul Dore Burke.  Published in 1932, I'm sad to admit I've never actually found time to read it.  Is anyone familiar with it?  Glancing through I saw THE CANINE NUMISMATIST on p71.

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum