The E-Sylum v21n38 September 23, 2018

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Sep 23 19:08:17 PDT 2018

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 21, Number 38, September 23, 2018
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM SEPTEMBER 23, 2018
<#a01>
**
NEW BOOK: GOLD COINS OF NEW ORLEANS MINT 3RD ED.
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: FLYNN'S SEATED LIBERTY DOLLARS, 2ND ED.
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: 2019 NORTH AMERICAN COINS & PRICES
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: CHARGE COIN REFERENCE GUIDE
<#a05>
**
NEW BOOKS: AMERICAN JOURNAL OF NUMISMATICS 29 & 30
<#a06>
**
NEW BOOKS: MINT TREASURER BENJAMIN RUSH
<#a07>
**
INDE ET LIB FIXED PRICE LISTS ON NEWMAN PORTAL
<#a08>
**
USING NATIONAL BANK CHARTER INFORMATION
<#a09>
**
MONEY TALKS: HISTORY OF THE ANS
<#a10>
**
CONTEMPORARY COUNTERFEIT U.S. COINS SOUGHT
<#a11>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: SEPTEMBER 23, 2018
<#a12>
**
ICELANDIC TOKEN PHOTOS ONLINE
<#a13>
**
VOCABULARY TERMS: REISSUE, REPLICA, RESTRIKE, REVISION
<#a14>
**
HENRY PHILLIPS, JR. (1838-1895)
<#a15>
**
COLLECTORS UNIVERSE TERMINATES DAVID HALL
<#a16>
**
MINT NEWS BLOG INTERVIEWS DAVID FANNING
<#a17>
**
ARCHIVES FALL 2018 AUCTION #5
<#a18>
**
SELECTIONS FROM FRANK ROBINSON AUCTION 106
<#a19>
**
NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: SEPTEMBER 23, 2018
<#a20>
**
WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: SEPTEMBER 23, 2018
<#a21>
**
COINS DISCOVERED FOLLOWING TYPHOON MANGKHUT
<#a22>
**
ROYAL MINT BOOSTS COLLECTIBLE COIN PRODUCTION
<#a23>
**
EXHIBIT: MEDALLIC IMAGES OF WAR
<#a24>
**
CARSON CITY COIN PRESS STRIKES NEWSPAPER MEDAL
<#a25>
**
ROYAL CANADIAN MINT'S 3D SUPERMAN
<#a26>
**
THE 3D-PRINTED HARRIET TUBMAN $20 STAMP
<#a27>
**
NEW EUROPEAN €200 AND €100 BANKNOTES
<#a28>
**
NEW YORK STORE ACCEPTS MEXICAN CASH
<#a29>
**
LOOSE CHANGE: SEPTEMBER 23, 2018
<#a30>
**
THE CASE OF THE MURDEROUS NUMISMATIST
<#a31>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: SILVER ART COLLECTORS
<#a32>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM SEPTEMBER 23, 2018

New subscribers this week include:
Charmy Harker and
Mary Sauvain.
Welcome aboard! We now have 5,780 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

This week we open with EIGHT new books worth checking out, updates and reviews regarding the Newman Numismatic Portal, and  a talk on the history of the American Numismatic Society.

Other topics this week include contemporary  counterfeit U.S. coins, tokens from Iceland, replicas and restrikes, Henry Phillips, Jr., Benjamin Rush, Frank Katen, coin and paper money auctions, the PAN Show, the Harriet Tubman stamp, and hyperinflation money.

To learn more about  New Orleans Mint gold, Seated Liberty dollars, charge coins, woodworking coins, the Knossos Labyrinth bronze, the earliest dated U.S. communion token, Medallic Images of War, the Crime-Solving Counterstamp, and
the Case of the Murderous Numismatist, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: GOLD COINS OF NEW ORLEANS MINT 3RD ED.

Author Doug Winter has published a new edition of his book on New Orleans Mint gold.  Here's some information from his web site.
-Editor

The brand new Third Edition of Doug's reference book, Gold Coins of the New Orleans Mint: 1839-1909, is now available for purchase.

This hardcover, 384 page, full-color book is printed here in the United States. For now, there are 100 copies in our office in Portland, OR. We are in the process of numbering and signing them, and preparing them for shipping to their new home in your reference library.

The first 50 copies we had printed for the ANA were snapped up quickly, and the rave reviews have started to come in. This is truly a "coffee table" book, the size of a large auction catalogue, with the most current information on New Orleans gold available, including rarity, population, and detailed die variety descriptions with color photos.

The book lists for $69.95, "signed, numbered and shipped."
Doug had some at the recent Philadelphia ANA show, including some special versions made just for the show.
-Editor

I wanted to have something special at the 2018 Philadelphia ANA show and I had a crazy last minute idea: for the presentation I was giving the US Gold Coin Collectors Club, why not produce a limited edition of special hardcover copies of my brand-spanking-new, soon-to-be-released, third-edition reference titled Gold Coins of the New Orleans Mint, 1838-1909?

In case you’ve missed yet another facet of the current Technology Revolution, book printing has changed dramatically in the past few years and you can now print small runs of super high-quality books (soft and hardcover!) via online American printers. This meant that I could quickly and efficiently print a special run of 50 copies for the 2018 ANA.

I shipped the books from my office in Portland Oregon to the convention center with just one unforeseen bump: the ever-helpful union workers charged me $450 to load, move and unload four boxes.

I saved 20 copies for the above-referenced presentation, offered 15 for sale, kept copy #1 and #2 for myself and Jenna, and shipped 13 from my office after the show to my best clients as a “thank you.” I’d like to think that the very limited  2018 ANA print run of this important book will be recognize, some day, as a numismatic literature rarity.

If you didn’t have a chance to buy a copy from me, here are a few images of what you missed. Note the special presentation label with each copy being signed and numbered especially for this show.

That’s the bad news. The good news is that I will be offering hardcover and softcover copies of this book within the next month or two. So if you missed the 2018 ANA edition, you can still have a copy of this important new book.

Ordering information will be on my website (raregoldcoins.com) soon.

For more information, or to order, see:

Your Wait is Over

(https://raregoldcoins.com/new-book/)

DWN Press Creates A Numismatic Book Rarity

(https://raregoldcoins.com/blog/2018/8/30/dwn-press-creates-a-numismatic-book-rarity)

NEW BOOK: FLYNN'S SEATED LIBERTY DOLLARS, 2ND ED.

Kevin Flynn provided this information on the new edition of his book on Seated Liberty Dollars.  Thanks!
-Editor

Authoritative Reference on Liberty Seated Dollars, Second Edition by Kevin Flynn, 8-1/2 * 11, 272 pages, softcover only.  Published by Brooklyn Gallery Coin & Stamps.

In 2014, I wrote the first edition on the Liberty Seated Dollars, which sold out quickly on the limited printing.  Since then I researched and wrote books on the Liberty Seated Half Dimes, Twenty cent pieces, and Quarters.  In researching these other series I uncovered new archive records that helped provide a better understanding of the history of the series, which is included in the Liberty Seated Dollar second edition.

My primary focus now is research and a book on all restrikes of all series.  The research on the Liberty Seated Dollar series was completed and added to the second edition. For the Liberty Seated series this includes the 1851, 1852, 1853, and 1854 dollar proof restrikes, 1863 and 1864 In God We Trust patterns, 1865 IGWT patterns, and 1866 No IGWT patterns.  One of the primary objectives was to determine approximately when these coins were struck and sold.  Many of these restrikes used the same reverses and used for the proof coins of the same series.  Using the diagnostics of the proof coins and comparing to those on the restrikes provided an accurate estimate on when they were struck.  The auction records from 1850 through 1900 were studied, which helped understand when these restrikes were offered by sale and if a pattern could be seen on who was distributing them.  These auction records are presented in the appropriate sections for each of the restrikes.

This book still includes all of the doubled dies, misplaced, dates, repunched dates, and repunched mint marks as seen in the first book.

Brooklyn Gallery will be publishing and distributing the second edition.  You can contact them at Brooklyn Gallery Coins & Stamps, 8725 4th Ave, Brooklyn NY11209, by email at info at brooklyngallery.com, or phone at 718-745-5701.  Retail is $69.95 plus shipping.  Brooklyn is offering a special on this book until November 1st, 2018 of 20% off or $55.95 plus shipping.  Please speak to Joe at Brooklyn if any questions.

NEW BOOK: 2019 NORTH AMERICAN COINS & PRICES

Krause Publications emailed this book announcement earlier this week about the new edition of their North American Coins & Prices book.
-Editor

With tens of thousands of individual coin listings, more than 6,500 coin images and updated coin values for the United States, Canada and Mexico, 2019 North American Coins & Prices, 28th Edition, is the ultimate single-source reference for coin coverage of North America.

Organized by country, government, denomination and date of issue, this expanding reference remains a clear, detailed and easy-to-use resource for a vast array of highly collected coins. The U.S. section offers listings for early Colonial coins and tokens of the 17th and 18th centuries through Federal issues from 1791 to date.

Mexico listings begin in 1701 and flow chronologically through many government changes, while Canada’s listings begin with its earliest unified coinage in 1858 and continue through their many 21st century commemorative issues.

Inside, you’ll find:

Descriptions and photos for coin issues of the United States, Canada and Mexico

Pricing in the most frequently encountered and significant grades of preservation

Historical market performance graphs for U.S. coins of note

A Grading Guide to U.S. and World Coins

For nearly three decades, North American Coins & Prices has provided unique, complete and authoritative information. Experience for yourself why this exceptional reference is the best guide of its kind on the market.

For more information, or to order, see:

2019 North American Coins & Prices, 28th Edition

(https://www.shopnumismaster.com/2019-north-american-coins-prices-r7877)

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum