The E-Sylum v23n14 April 5, 2020

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Apr 5 16:53:18 PDT 2020

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 23, Number 14, April 5, 2020
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM APRIL 5, 2020
<#a01>
**
NEW BOOK: HIDDEN POWER
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: MODERN CHINESE PAPER MONEY
<#a03>
**
NEW PODCAST: THE PLANCHET
<#a04>
**
AUDIO: STACK’S AT 57TH STREET
<#a05>
**
PERIODICAL: PAPER MONEY MARCH/APRIL 2020
<#a06>
**
PERIODICAL: IBNS JOURNAL SUMMER 2020
<#a07>
**
ANS DIGITIZING MEDIEVAL AND MODERN COLLECTION
<#a08>
**
ANS UPDATES GREEK NUMISMATIC DATABASE: PELLA
<#a09>
**
VIDEO: COINS THAT REVEALED A CRIME RING
<#a10>
**
VIDEO: STUDENT ERIC LINDHOLM INTERVIEWED
<#a11>
**
APRIL FOOLS 2020
<#a12>
**
THE ANA CONVENTION THAT WASN'T: 1918
<#a13>
**
QUERY: 1912 CHAPMAN EARLE SALE PHOTO CAPTION
<#a14>
**
KENT PONTERIO ON THE STATE OF THE MARKET
<#a15>
**
CORONAVIRUS UPDATES: APRIL 5, 2020
<#a16>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: APRIL 5, 2020
<#a17>
**
DAVID FANNING REQUESTS RESEARCH ASSISTANCE
<#a18>
**
DEFACING COUNTERMARKED COINS MYSTERY WORD
<#a19>
**
NATIONAL ARCHIVES TRANSCRIPTION UPDATE
<#a20>
**
THE 1953 EMPEROR NORTON MEDALS
<#a21>
**
VOCABULARY TERM: KNUCKLE-JOINT PRESS
<#a22>
**
CALVIN WESTLEY FRANKLIN (1854-1911)
<#a23>
**
CSNS PRESIDENT ANNOUNCES 2020 SOWER RECIPIENTS
<#a24>
**
NATIONAL EMERGENCY LIBRARY ANNOUNCED
<#a25>
**
ROBINSON ANCIENT COIN SALE 112 ANNOUNCED
<#a26>
**
ARCHIVES INTERNATIONAL SALE 58 ANNOUNCED
<#a27>
**
SELECTIONS FROM HOLABIRD APRIL 2020 SALES
<#a28>
**
SELECTIONS FROM HERITAGE APRIL 2020 SALES
<#a29>
**
ROMAN COIN HOARD FOUND IN HRUBIESZóW POLAND
<#a30>
**
EXHIBIT: MEDIEVAL EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN COINAGE
<#a31>
**
SCHOOL’S MUSEUM GAINS OFFICIAL RECOGNITION
<#a32>
**
WILLIAM JAMESON – AN UNLIKELY MINT DIRECTOR
<#a33>
**
U.S. MINT PATENTS METAL ALLOY FOR COIN PRODUCTION
<#a34>
**
GERMS AND MONEY
<#a35>
**
HISTORY OF MONEY CLEANING
<#a36>
**
THAILAND ISSUES NEW COINS TO CURB CORONAVIRUS
<#a37>
**
SAM ALFANO’S SHERLOCK HOLMES HOBO NICKEL
<#a38>
**
1867 MONTGOMERY ANTICIPATION NOTES
<#a39>
**
ANA BEBEE COLLECTION’S UNCUT SHEETS CERTIFIED
<#a40>
**
ARTISTS USING MONEY AS A METAPHOR
<#a41>
**
LOOSE CHANGE: APRIL 5, 2020
<#a42>
**
100CORONA VIRUS STRIKES COIN COLLECTIONS
<#a43>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM APRIL 5, 2020

New subscribers this week include:
Melissa Kahn,
Drew Simmons, and
Gary Wolfe.
Welcome aboard! We now have 6,093 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

This week is a two-fer: we open with two new books, two podcasts, two videos, and two updates from the American Numismatic Society.

Other topics this week include last week's April Fools articles, more hobby coronavirus updates, defaced countermarked coins, Emperor Norton medals, multiple numismatic sale previews, germs and money, revenue anticipation notes, and money art.

To learn more about Chinese paper money, the Progressional Coin Grading Service, the Del Monte note, the ANA convention that wasn't, currency printing presses, knuckle-joint coining presses, Government of Texas notes,
 the Acme beer token, the Elizabeth I gold ship ryal, money as a metaphor, the urine tax, and the unlikely Director of the Quito mint in Ecuador, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: HIDDEN POWER

The American Numismatic Society has announced a new publication: Hidden Power: Late Cistophoric Production and the Organization of  Provincia Asia (128–89 BC) by Lucia Francesca Carbone.
-Editor

Hidden Power: Late Cistophoric Production and the Organization of  Provincia Asia (128–89 BC)

(Numismatic Studies 42)

by Lucia Francesca Carbone

List price: $100 plus shipping & handling

Member price: $70 plus shipping & handling

ISSN 0517-404X

ISBN 978-0-89722-363-8

Hardcover, vii + 266 text pages, b/w figs., 142 b/w plates containing images of 1,737 coins.

Using the production and circulation patterns of the Asian cistophorus as a case study, Hidden Power seeks to develop a better understanding of Roman monetary policy in the province of Asia between its establishment in the 120s BC and the beginning of the Mithraditic Wars.

Hidden Power catalogues and illustrates some 1,737 cistophoric tetradrachms and fractions from the mints of Ephesus, Pergamum, Tralles, Laodicea, Apamea, Adramyteum, Nysa, and Smyrna. Most of the coins included in the study are late cistophori, issues between 134.3 BC and the 60s BC.

Appendix I provides a discussion of the late cistophori of Tralles struck after 89 BC, showing not only the direct correlation between cistophori and Roman military campaigns, but also Roman taxation.

In Appendix II, circulation data have been combined with data derived from the Tralles die study in order to calculate cistophoric production for the entirety of provincia Asia until the end of the late cistophori. This estimate provides a means to assess the financial impact of Roman taxation and exploitation by Roman imperatores over the course of the first half of the first century BC.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Lucia Carbone is an ancient historian and numismatist who holds BA and MA degrees from Università Sapienza (Rome) as well as MPhil and PhD degrees from Columbia University (New York). She is currently the Assistant Curator for Roman Coins at the American Numismatic Society. Her main research interest is the impact of Roman imperialism on the monetary and administrative systems of the eastern provinces of the Roman Empire between the second and first centuries BC.

ORDER NOW

Order this title from our distributor, Casemate Academic/Oxbow Books. ANS Members, use your discount code at checkout. Forgot the code? Email Emma Pratte, or call 212.571.4470 x117.

For more information or to order, see:

Hidden Power
ns42Late Cistophoric Production and the Organization of  Provincia Asia (128–89 BC)

(http://numismatics.org/store/ns42/)

NEW BOOK: MODERN CHINESE PAPER MONEY

CDN Publishing is offering a digital book by Patrick Ian Perez in collaboration with The Banknote Book on modern Chinese paper money.
-Editor

This ground-breaking reference is the only English-language reference of its kind" on this popular collectible.

Chinese paper money, in particular the banknotes issued by the People’s Bank of China beginning in 1949, have been among the fastest growing and most popular areas of collectible world paper money.

All dealers and collectors of world paper money will find this reference highly useful.

 This reference catalog is sold as an annual subscription, meaning you will have access to it for 12 months after you purchase it. We will make continuous updates and your subscription will always give you access to the latest edition (via PDF download).

Features include:

• Current Pricing: we cover (7) different grades with pricing for each note, including three levels of Uncirculated as assigned by third-party grading services.

• Hi-rez photographs: to help you quickly and correctly identify these notes and their values.

• Counterfeit detection: a special section on counterfeits, written by Joseph E. Boling, one of the world’s leading experts on authentication of collectible paper money.

• Amazon Kindle edition: also available on Amazon Kindle.

1 Year PDF Access	$29.95

For more information, or to order, see:

Modern Chinese Paper Money: 1949 to Present

(https://www.greysheet.com/Publications/modern-chinese-paper-money)

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 IN GOD WE TRUST:
William Bierly’s outstanding in-depth exploration shows how the Civil War changed not just the face of American coins and paper money, but the very foundations of modern banking and finance. Get your copy of In God We Trust: The American Civil War, Money, Banking, and Religion (352 pages, hardcover) for $29.95
at
Whitman.com
, or call 1-800-546-2995.

NEW PODCAST: THE PLANCHET

The American Numismatic Society has launched a new podcast.
Here's the announcement and details on the first episode.
-Editor

The ANS has launched a podcast! Hosted by our Publications Director Andrew Reinhard, each episode of The Planchet will be a conversation with numismatists covering a range of topics. Episode 1 features ANS Assistant Curator of the Americas Dr. Jesse Kraft on how Americans spent foreign currency before the Coinage Act of 1857. The Planchet is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, and Google/Android. Subscribe and hear a new episode each month!

Episode 1: Jesse Kraft, ANS Curator of the Americas

>From the earliest days of the British-American colonies, up through the late 1850s, a variety of foreign coinage circulated in the United States, including Spanish-American, British, French, and Portuguese formed a majority of the hard-money supply in the United States. Most of these coins did not conform to the predominant unit of account (i.e. “dollars” or “pounds”) and forced American consumers and merchants to navigate this system through a variety of ingenious, though sometimes confounding methods. This episode will discuss those methods, including the use of abstract mathematical formulas, a variety of exchange charts, the prolonged usage of British monetary terminologies, and ways to evade the heightened threat of counterfeit coins.

In her email Newsletter #149
Shanna Schmidt writes:

"I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the maiden podcast featuring Dr. Jesse Kraft of the ANS. It mattered very little that he was discussing American coinage, I am a lover of history and found the podcast entertaining and easy to follow."

For more information, or to listen, see:

The Planchet
The Podcast from the American Numismatic Society

(http://numismatics.org/planchet/)

AUDIO: STACK’S AT 57TH STREET

The latest CoinWeek podcast features Harvey Stack reflecting on his family firm’s days at their 57th Street address.
-Editor

Hi Everybody, this is Charles Morgan from CoinWeek.

I’m delighted in the midst of our nationwide lockdown to bring you one of the coin collecting hobby’s preeminent figures. Harvey Stack has worked as a professional numismatist his entire life. Son of another legendary numismatist, Morton Stack, Harvey has served the numismatic community in New York City and across the country as the head of the family business, Stack’s– which since the 1950s has been located at 57th street in the heart of midtown Manhattan.

To listen, see:

CoinWeek Podcast #131: Harvey Stack Reflects on Stack’s at 57th Street

(https://coinweek.com/video-news/coinweek-podcast-131-harvey-stack-reflects-on-stacks-at-57th-street/)

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

STACK'S BOWERS ON THE MOVE IN NEW YORK

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n08a19.html)

HARVEY STACK ON STACK'S 123 WEST 57TH STREET LOCATION

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n44a30.html)

PERIODICAL: PAPER MONEY MARCH/APRIL 2020

The Society of Paper Money Collectors (SPMC) has published the latest issue of Paper Money.  At my request editor Benny Bolin kindly forwarded the table of contents  and an excerpt of an article of interest to students of post Civil War obsolete notes (appearing elsewhere in this issue).  Thanks!
-Editor

Series of 1923 Porthole S.C. Doomed—Lee Lofthus

The Series of 1923 $5 “porthole” silver certificates may appear to be a simple one‐and‐done type note
from a numismatic perspective, but the governmental story behind them was hardly simple.

$1 Series of 1899 S.C. Signature Combinations--Peter Huntoon

Identification of the known engraving varieties on the intaglio face and back plates used to print the Series
of 1899 $1 silver certificates and a timeline for when those plates were on the presses is presented.

The Delaware & Hudson Canal & its Paper Money—Q. David Bowers

Obsolete banknotes from the Delaware & Hudson Canal that started in his hometown.

WW2 British Military Authority Notes for Greece--Evangelos Fys

Under Law 18 of 9th November 1944 it was decided that British Military Authority banknotes would circulate along with the new currency in Greece.

Commonwealth Edison’s Federal Dividend Coupon System—Loren Gatch

 A part of ComEd’s strategy was its marketing of consumer appliances and electrical accessories through
outlets called “Edison Electric Shops.” One aspect was its use of the Federal Dividend Coupon System.

Seal Varieties on Series 1928 FRNs—Peter Huntoon

An update to an earlier article in Paper Money announcing the discovery of a matching star note.

The County of Montgomery (AL) & Their Revenue Notes—Bill Gunther

 Immediately after the Civil War states, cities and counties throughout Alabama found themselves bankrupt and without a major source of revenue. A partial solution, adopted by many cities and counties, was
to pay their obligations with post‐dated notes.

For more information on the Society of Paper Money Collectors, see:

https://www.spmc.org/

PERIODICAL: IBNS JOURNAL SUMMER 2020

IBNS members can look forward to reading the Summer 2020 issue of the International Bank Note Society Journal.  It's available for download on the group's web site (membership required).
-Editor

TABLE OF CONTENTS

• President's Message

• I.B.N.S. Hall of Fame

• From The Editor

• Banknote News

• A Perfect Pair: Miguel Grau & Arturo Prat

• The Unissued Greek 5 Drachmas Note of 1918

• The Last Philippine 20 Piso Note

• Photogravure Process

• Test Notes of CBPM Including the World Record Test Note

• The Prison Vouchers of Taiwan's Green Island

• Book Review: The Banknote Book: Ukraine

• Book Review: The Banknote Book: Ukraine

• New Issues

• News From The Chapters

• Society Officers

• New Members

For more information about the International Bank Note Society, see:

https://www.theibns.org/

ANS DIGITIZING MEDIEVAL AND MODERN COLLECTION

The American Numismatic Society announced a new program to digitize its Medieval and Modern Collection.  Great news!
-Editor

Digitizing the Medieval and Modern Collection

We are pleased to announce that the ANS will begin enhancing and further developing the digitization of our Medieval and Early Modern Collection, with an emphasis on the approximately 22,000 coins that represent Europe in the years 1500–1700.

This vital area of the Society’s collection can now be addressed thanks to a grant from an anonymous donor of up to $200,000 over 12 months, which will help support this project. This magnanimous donation comes at a critical time for the ANS, which like many other nonprofits is being challenged by the ongoing economic crisis resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. Such a financial investment in the Society’s future provides encouragement and inspiration to us all.

ANS UPDATES GREEK NUMISMATIC DATABASE: PELLA

The American Numismatic Society has announced an update of PELLA, their online catalogue of the coinage produced by the kings of the Macedonian Argead dynasty (c.700–310 BC). Here's the press release.
-Editor

The ANS is pleased to announce that an updated version of PELLA (numismatics.org/pella) has now
been launched. As a component of the National Endowment of the Humanities funded Hellenistic
Royal Coinages project, PELLA is an innovative research tool aiming, among other things, to provide
a comprehensive typology and catalog of the coinages struck by the Macedonian kings of the Argead
dynasty (c. 700–310 BCE), arguably the most influential coinages of the ancient Greek world. Fueled
first by indigenous precious metal mines in their native Macedonia, and later by the spoils of their
conquests, including the rich treasures of the Persian Empire, the Argeads’ numismatic output was
monumental.

For centuries after their deaths, coins in the name of Philip II (ruled 359–336 BCE) and
Alexander the Great (ruled 336–323 BCE) continued to be produced by successor kings, civic mints,
and imitators from Central Asia to Central Europe. The coinage of the Argeads themselves and that
produced in their names has been extensively studied, but to date no comprehensive, easily accessible catalog of their coinages exists. PELLA is designed to fill that gap, cataloging the individual coin
types of the Argead kings from Alexander I (ruled 498–454 BCE), the first of the Macedonian kings to
strike coins, down to Philip III Arrhidaeus (ruled 323–317 BCE), the last of the titular kings to do so.
Included as well as are the numerous posthumous civic and successor coinages struck in the names of
the kings.

The updated version now includes the coinage (in the name of) Philip II, which is organized using
George Le Rider’s Le monnayage d’argent et d’or de Philippe II frappé en Macédoine de 359 a 294,
1977. This material joins the existing coinage (in the name) of Alexander III and Philip III, which is
organized using reference numbers from Martin Price’s The Coinage in the Name of Alexander the
Great and Philip Arrhidaeus, London 1991. The updated version of PELLA now provides links to over
20,000 examples of the coinage (in the name) of Philip II, the coinage (in the name) of Alexander the
Great, and the coinage of Philip III Arrhidaeus that are present in 19 collections located in the United States and Europe. “This expansion of PELLA,” noted Project Co-Director Dr. Peter van Alfen, Chief
Curator at the ANS, “greatly enhances our Hellenistic Royal Coinages suite of online resources. Philip
II’s coinage was hugely important and influential, so having this material available for use and study
will be a great benefit for numismatists, scholars, and collectors alike.”

To visit PELLA, see:

http://numismatics.org/pella/

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

ANS LAUNCHES GREEK NUMISMATIC RESEARCH TOOL: PELLA

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n47a05.html)

The ANS is also seeking donations to help fund major new research in another  popular digital database—Online Coins of the Roman Empire (OCRE).  Here's the press release.
-Editor

THE ANS LAUNCHES ONLINE FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN FOR OCRE

The American Numismatic Society aims to incorporate major new research on Roman Imperial Coinage into its hugely
popular digital resource Online Coins of the Roman Empire. This is a laborious process that entails updating or amending thousands of entries, and it will take several months to complete. In order to assist this project, the ANS has launched a gofundme campaign on its charity platform.

Since its inception in 2013, Online Coins of the Roman Empire (OCRE) has provided the numismatic community with a revolutionary tool designed to help in the identification, cataloging, and research of the rich and varied coinage of the Roman Empire. OCRE provides an easy to use digital resource incorporates over 43,000 types of coins and more than 130,000 physical coins, representing more than 40 major public and private collections from all over the world. The project records every published type of Roman Imperial Coinage from Augustus, in 31 BCE, until the death of Zeno, in 491 CE.

In January 2019, Spink & Son published Roman Imperial Coinage, Vol. II, Part 3, written by longtime British Museum curator Richard Abdy, with a section on medallions by P. F. Mittag. This was the first new volume in the series in 25 years, and it represents a major achievement in the field. For the ANS, this important new work, which covers the reign of Hadrian (117–138 CE), necessitates the hiring of temporary staff to aid in the replacement of some 4,000 OCRE records. The Society, in cooperation with Sprink & Sons and Richard Abdy, is now working on this process, which will take several months. The ANS is therefore asking for small donations to help integrate this very significant improvement into the online project. If you use OCRE for teaching or research, please consider donating to the ANS. No amount is too small.

The American Numismatic Society, organized in 1858 and incorporated in 1865 in New York State, operates as a research museum under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and is recognized as a publicly supported organization under section 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) as confirmed on November 1, 1970.

To donate, see:

Updating OCRE

(https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/updating-ocre)

To read the complete press release, see:

THE ANS LAUNCHES AN ONLINE FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN FOR OCRE

(http://numismatics.org/gofundme-ocre/)

VIDEO: COINS THAT REVEALED A CRIME RING

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is a video about stolen coins recently recovered through the help of dealers. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Coin Dealers Cooperate to Solve Case of Coins Stolen in the Mail

In December 2019, a client of rare coin dealer Gerry Fortin reported a shipment missing in the U.S. mail. Two coins were in the package, an 1871 Liberty Seated quarter (NGC MS62) and an 1871 half dollar (PCGS MS62 / CAC). Fortin made inquiries with dealers in the delivery area, including Julian Liedman, and within a couple weeks a connection was made.

Lianna Spurrier tells the story of what happened next in this video recently released by Newman Portal. Newman Portal acknowledges Julian Liedman and Gerry Fortin for their contributions to this video.

Image: 1871 Liberty Seated quarter (NGC MS62) and 1871 half dollar (PCGS MS62 / CAC)  that went missing in the U.S. mail.

Link to Detour: Coins that Revealed a Crime Ring on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/581061

VIDEO: STUDENT ERIC LINDHOLM INTERVIEWED

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's an interview with student  Eric Lindholm.
-Editor

College Student Buys Cool Indian Cent Variety at Long Beach Expo.

 VIDEO: 3:47.

Eric Lindholm, Owner, Coin Scope, David Lisot, Interviewer, CoinTelevision.com.

Eric Lindholm flew out from Boston between his college classes to go the Long Beach Expo for the first time. Hear his perspective of the convention and learn about a cool variety of and 1868 Indian Cent.

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://youtu.be/EBphkI37TY8

APRIL FOOLS 2020

Being shut in for a pandemic is no reason not to have a little fun.  Maybe it's the best reason of all.  It didn't take our readers long to spot the fake news items in last week's issue.
-Editor

Progressional Coin Grading Service Working in Tandem With Robot

Dave Lange of Numismatic Guaranty Corporation writes:

"I got a kick out of this year's installment of the annual April Fool's Day joke. Everyone knows that if the U. S. Mint were to have its coins slabbed onsite it would be done by NGC!"

Kellen Hoard writes:

"Two articles stood out to me as I was reading through The E-Sylum.  The U.S. Mint/PCGS one had me at first until I looked more closely. As for the 1913 nickel story, I applaud the heightened production value for the gag."

Steve Shupe writes:

"You had me going with the PCGS in the mint article but the air puff and Lincoln cents part threw it over the top."

Bill Eckberg writes:

"I assume you did notice the "April fool" at the end and were just pulling our “wooden” leg?"

The article on NGC slabbing 10 million Silver Eagles was a real item that I hadn't managed to get into an earlier issue.  But it made a perfect foil and lead-in to my April Fools story about the  "Progressional" Coin Grading Service deal with the U.S. Mint to slab coins right off of the presses.

The "St. Louis TV Station news video" about missing 1913 Liberty nickels was something the Newman Numismatic Portal had been planning for a while.  We brainstormed a few ideas and came up with the concept of finding coins hidden in Col. Green's old wooden leg.  NNP video consultant Lianna Spurrier ran with it and did a great star turn as a news anchor.  Is the Today show in her future?
-Editor

"Kaz" on the PCGS Discussion Board writes:

"Great gag! Reeled me in like a fish."

 Pat McBride writes:

"Kudos to Lianna for “getting a leg up” on this story before the rest of the numismatic press."

ANA Edition reader Lev Messick writes:

"I do believe that that that young lady got us all for April Fool's Day! A little humor is a good thing for this current time."

Len Augsburger writes:

"Stu Levine said he nearly fell over laughing."

Bill Eckberg writes:

"REALLY good satire. It has more than enough truth to make it believable at first.
I couldn’t read the title on the grading submission sheet. It wasn’t PCGS or NGC.  And who is the coin dealer?"

Lianna Spurrier writes:

"The grading company is the entirely fictional "Numismatic Authentication & Evaluation Service," and the "coin dealer" is a friend of mine who volunteered that's not in the coin industry at all. I had a Joseph J. Fartelot Jr. arranged, but then all the closures hit from the coronavirus and he backed out. For what it's worth, the Fartelot truck was also entirely faked, and Lowen & Hopp doesn't exist. The 1913 nickels and wadded up bills are also fake, but I'm guessing we all realized those, and of course the inscription on the wooden leg photo. I had quite a good time putting this one together and trying to make it as believable as possible. If you look closely, the two 1913 nickels are entirely different coins (not just the same one with the color changed), and neither are actual 1913s - didn't want any specialists to be able to ID which specimen they were.

Glad people are enjoying it!"

Len Augsburger adds:

"Lowen & Hopp is based on the legal firm Lowenhaupt, for whom Eric Newman worked in the 1930s as an attorney."

Here's the direct link to YouTube:

Wooden Leg Sets St. Louis Legal Community on Fire

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDSACJzzOE&feature=youtu.be)

Here's the article:

LOOSE CHANGE: MARCH 29, 2020 : Missing 1913 Liberty Nickels Located?

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n13a35.html)

To read the PCGS discussion board, see:

Crazy discovery in St Louis!

(https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1035352/crazy-discovery-in-st-louis#latest)

The video is well worth watching and rewatching.

There was one more article you had to read close to catch.
-Editor

Bob Van Arsdell writes:

"I’m completely chuffed by the article about medieval sixpences. It’s one of the most thoroughly researched pieces in numismatics I’ve ever seen.
I’m somewhat surprised, however, that the author didn’t solicit the opinion of the National Museum of Rutland  - since it’s right here in Vermont!"

David Pickup supplied the text, and I added an image I found in an old Sedwick auction.

The articles on other collectibles might have looked fishy, but they're real.  People really do collect and study pull tabs and banana labels.
Here are a couple numismatic connections to the latter.
-Editor

John Phipps writes:

"I was very interested to read in The E-Sylum the item on "Collecting Banana Labels." In February of 2015, I presented a "knowledge share" program on "Coin Collecting as a Hobby" at the Dekalb County Public Library.  Many people attend these programs on their lunch period so I took a lunch too.  In the Q & A period I was facing the usual questions.  To make the point that rarity does not demand a higher price, I put a Chiquita sticker from the banana in my lunch on a 1997P Kennedy half dollar I had with me.  Then I said, "This is so rare it is the only one in the world, did the value go up?" When I got home I put the "rarity" in a 2x2 and added it to my collection."

Good point, although advertising stickers on silver dollars and other coins are indeed collected and bring a small premium over the coin's silver value.  And for a whopper of a value-added banana label, Jonathan Brecher reminds us of an item we discussed back in  2006.  Thanks!
-Editor

Jonathan writes:

"If you're going to mention banana labels, you really should include a reference to their most famous (?) numismatic cross-over."

This colorful error is commonly referred by collectors in the numismatic fraternity as "The Del Monte Note," simply because of the banana sticker that is a retained printed obstruction. Most obstructions fall off shortly after printing leaving a blank area of paper missing the design, but errors with objects that "stick" to the note are very rare. Objects seen on other obstruction errors include a Band-Aid, paper fragments, scotch tape, and wood shavings. United States Currency is essentially printed in three stages: the first printing is the back of the note, the second printing provides the face devices, and the third, final printing includes the Treasury Seal and the serial numbers. When this note was printed at the Fort Worth facility of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, it went through first and second printings before the sticker found its way onto the surface. The sticker's placement is ideal, as it covers part of the second printing details and is overlaid by part
  of the Treasury Seal and serial number from the third printing.

Most would conjecture that this note was no accident and probably the result of some very bored or creative BEP employee. Its presence in the market place however is not dubious as it passed through the regular channels of the Federal Reserve before it was released in circulation. In the summer of 2004 a college student in Ohio received it as part of an ATM withdrawal and shortly there after posted it on eBay where it sold to the highest of 12 bids. The note was a bargain at around $10,000 on eBay as news of the note had barely hit the collecting community. In subsequent weeks it was the cover story in Bank Note Reporter and Numismatic News.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

DEL MONTE BANANA LABEL ERROR NOTE SELLS FOR $25,300

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v09n02a05.html)

To read the complete lot description, see:

Fr. 2084-H $20 1996 Federal Reserve Note. PCGS Choice New 63PPQ. This colorful error is commonly referred by collectors in t...

(https://currency.ha.com/itm/error-notes/fr-2084-h-20-1996-federal-reserve-note-pcgs-choice-new-63ppq-this-colorful-error-is-commonly-referred-by-collectors-in-t/a/396-16409.s)

Here are some non-numismatic April Fool stories from the Hyperallergic blog, including "Museum of the Bible Reveals Newly Discovered Audio Recording of the Sermon on the Mount.":

Hyperallergic blog April 1, 2020
.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

FOOL:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 29, 2020 : Medieval Silver Sixpences Found in a Pudding

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n13a19.html)

REAL:

NGC CERTIFIES 10,000,000 SILVER EAGLES

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n13a23.html)

FOOL:

U.S. MINT AUTOMATES SLABBING WITH PARTNERSHIP

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n13a24.html)

REAL:

PULL TAB ARCHEOLOGY

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n13a36.html)

REAL:

COLLECTING BANANA LABELS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n13a37.html)

FOOL:

LOOSE CHANGE: MARCH 29, 2020 : Missing 1913 Liberty Nickels Located?

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n13a35.html)

THE ANA CONVENTION THAT WASN'T: 1918

A century ago another deadly pandemic ravaged the world - the Spanish flu of 1918.  Len Augsburger of the Newman Numismatic Portal submitted this report on the cancelled American Numismatic Association convention of that year, and asks for help locating a copy of the rare unofficial convention photograph.
-Editor

The Convention That Wasn't, and a Rare Photograph

Imagine you arrived at the ANA convention and everyone else had gone home or stayed there to begin with. This is precisely what happened in Philadelphia in October 1918. Cancelled at the last minute, a number of attendees arrived in a city shut down by the Spanish flu. The best account is given by Philadelphia dealer and convention chairman S. H. Chapman, who reported in the November 1918 Numismatist that the convention, scheduled for October 5-9, was cancelled by the city on October 3. Chapman did his best to notify attendees, who might have numbered around a hundred. Some could not be reached in time, and a small group arrived in Philadelphia expecting a convention.

Attendees made the best of a bad thing, and Chapman reported small social gatherings at the convention hotel. The tradition of a convention photograph was continued. Included in the photo were the Chapman brothers of Philadelphia, Mr. and Mrs. Howard R. Newcomb, and a handful of others, about a dozen total. A few of the attendees likely attended S. H. Chapman’s sale of the H. O. Granberg collection, which took place as scheduled, despite the Board of Health warning against “public assemblages.” Presumably many of the bids had already been received by mail.

The Rochester Numismatic Association minutes for October 15, 1918 reported “[ANA] President H. H. Yawger then told the members about his recent trip to Philadelphia, he having visited that city at the time that had been set for the American Numismatic Convention but which was called off on account of the influenza epidemic. Mr. Yawger had a most delightful time visiting with the Philadelphia Numismatists, and while there, also met with a number of A.N.A. members from different cities, who had not been notified of the postponement of the Convention until after they had started on their journey, and they all met at the Hotel Stenton and had a good talk on numismatic matters, the meeting ending up by their having their photographs taken in a group...Yawger was most enthusiastic in his account of the delightful time he spent at the homes of Mr. Henry Chapman and Mr. S. H. Chapman...”

The convention photograph was not published in The Numismatist, and the only example we could find appeared in the George Kolbe #91 sale, 6/2003, lot 670, there described as “sepia photograph; approximately 10 x 15.5cm.” Taking ANA convention photographs usually required a wide-angle lens, but the photographer’s job was considerably simplified in 1918. Can an E-Sylum reader provide an image?

Thanks!  Great story and a great parallel to today.
Does anyone have a copy of the 1918 Philadelphia ANA convention photo?
-Editor

Link to The Numismatist on the ANA site:

https://www.money.org/subscriber-all-access

Link to The Numismatist on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/510969

Link to the Rochester Numismatic Association minutes on NNP:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/511995

QUERY: 1912 CHAPMAN EARLE SALE PHOTO CAPTION

On a related note, Tony Terranova submitted this photo of bidders at the
1912 Chapman sale of the George H. Earle collection, held in Philadelphia June 25-29, 1912.  He writes: "Some cast of characters!! People should have fun seeing how many faces they can identify".  Is anyone game?  It's a big batch of bidders!
-Editor

The photo was lot 1144 in the March 1995 Bowers and Merena Armand Champa Library Part II sale.   Here's the lot description, which provides names of some of the attendees.
-Editor

[Henry Chapman]: [Photograph of "Auction Sale Collection of Coins of George H. Earle,June 25, 26, 27, (28), 29
- 1912" Fine black and white photograph, 19/2x24cm,
handsomely matted in a cherry frame. (400.00)

A rare period glimpse of the attendees assembled for what was to
set records as the single largest day ($23,522) and largest total
gross ($55,821) coin sale in the United States, this held at the art
gallery of Davis & Harvey, 901 Walnut St, Philadelphia. Prominent
participants include both Chapmans, Thomas Elder, Elmer Sears,
Edgar Adams, Farran Zerbe, and Edgar Adams. This photograph
is reproduced on the front endsheets of John Adams’ work on
19th-century auction catalogues. From the Chapman estate, Wayte
Raymond and John Ford.

To read the catalog on the Newman Numismatic Portal, see:

The Armand Champa Library: Part II

(https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctionlots?AucCoId=4&AuctionId=525058)

KENT PONTERIO ON THE STATE OF THE MARKET

Joe Lang of Stephen Album Rare Coins writes:

"Here is the text of the latest World Numismatics Newsletter from Kent Ponterio about the state of the market.  I found it very enlightening and thought it might be worth publishing…"

Thanks.  With permission, we're republishing the complete letter here.
-Editor

We at World Numismatics have been working diligently to update our website with new inventory available for direct sale to our clients. In lieu of the current situation and the absence of coin shows for the foreseeable future, more of our stock will be filtered through our website and updates will be happening on a more consistent basis.

Our take on the current state of the market:

Let me preface this with a little background.  Prior to the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States, Patrick Richey and I were traveling abroad in Europe attending auctions, visiting dealer contacts and planned to attend the Munich Coin Fair (which wound up being cancelled).  After the coin fair was cancelled, Patrick and I made the decision to return home as it had become clear to us that things had begun to escalate in Europe as well as in the United States.  Flights were being cancelled at an alarming level as well as travel bans being put in place, and we were concerned about our ability to return to the US.  We cancelled the last segment of our trip and were able to reschedule a flight home on March 10th.

It was a strange and awkward decision, but in the end, I am convinced it was the right one.

Sure enough, within days of our return travel restrictions were put in place limiting international flights.

We visited 6 countries while in the EU.  Our first stop was Spain which at the time had fewer than 100 confirmed cases of COVID-19.  During the ­­­next few days in Europe, we watched the number grow exponentially and decided to cut our trip short.
While on our trip it was clear that things were very different than normal in terms of buying coins.

Although we were able to acquire many new items for inventory, it was much harder to buy interesting coins than previous trips.  Many of our contacts in major cities told us similar stories to the effect of “normally in Europe when someone has coins to sell, they travel to the cities to sell coins to the major dealers”.  This simply wasn’t happening and had not been happening for some time, nor do I see this returning to the way it was any time soon.  Hence the normal dealers from which we buy nice coins simply did not have a lot to sell. Couple that with the inability to ship coins out of certain countries due to nation-wide lock downs and the supply issue becomes very clear.  The supply of new coins to the marketplace here in the U.S. is going to be rather limited for the unforeseeable future.

What does the future hold for the coin market?

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea.  At the moment we are like Magellan circumnavigating uncharted waters and we will see where our voyage takes us.  What I can share with you is my firsthand experiences and observations of what’s transpiring in the coin market since this all started.

Thus far the coin market seems to remain fairly resilient, all things considered. Some aspects of the market may even be stronger now than they were a few months ago. For example, the premiums on generic gold and silver bullion have increased significantly.  Auction sales for numismatic coins have also been very strong as of late.  This started with the Gorny and Mosch auction while Patrick and I were still in Europe, which yielded very high results.  Other auctions, like Kunker in Germany and ROMA in the United Kingdom, were intended to be floor auctions, but wound up being internet sales due to restrictions on public gatherings and were also remarkably strong. This trend continued with CNGs electronic auction bringing well above expectations, but perhaps the real testament were the prices achieved by Stacks Bowers. With the last-minute cancelation of the Whitman EXPO in Baltimore and restrictions on public gatherings, Stacks Bowers was forced to conduct their auction using
 internet and phone bidding only.
After witnessing the results they yielded, I am convinced they achieved better prices than they would have during normal circumstances.

So what does this all mean?  Once again, I’m not really sure.  What I can tell you is that since we have been back, we have been flooded with phone calls and emails from people wanting to buy coins.

Are people bored and stuck at home looking for new coins for their collections? I suppose that’s one plausible explanation. During the lock downs in China, the Chinese coin market prospered and prices on many items actually went up in value. Simply stated, collectors were bored and sat at home examining their collections while scouring the internet looking for new acquisitions. I think that is only one factor, and there’s more to it than that. There are also those who are looking to put money into something more portable and of value.  Many have taken money out of the stock market, while others are fearing hyperinflation. Whatever the reason, right now people want to buy coins.

Leading up to this event dealers’ inventories were rather depleted, and it was really hard to find nice coins at coin shows. Couple that with the inability to attend coin shows or auction for the foreseeable future, as well as the problems importing coins from abroad. I predict we are going to have a real shortage of good coins available in the marketplace. This dilemma is not going to correct itself overnight.  Furthermore, when the world opens back up, a supply of nice coins will not magically appear. These things take time, and it will take time for dealers to replenish their stocks.  It will be a slow gradual reboot rather than everybody opening back up for business.

Trade shows will probably be one of the last things to open back up, and this is going to be hard for a lot of us in the industry.  Coin shows fall under that category of “large gatherings” and frankly I think it will take some time for them to return to normal.  Certainly, the industry was already moving in a direction of online sales and had been for some time. Current events just gave it a swift push further in that direction.

What’s important right now?

I would love to tell you that buying coins is important right now, but it is not. In the coming weeks and months, many of us will have much more free time than we are accustomed to. Those of you that are with your loved ones, hold them close.  Those of you that are not, call them, text them photos, send them emails. I think right now it is important to reach out to loved ones as not everyone will fair this situation the same.  That said, if you love coins and want to add something to your collection, by all means do so.  Our hobbies are our passions and are a great tool for helping one maintain his sanity in trying times. When I say that, I’m not just saying buy something from our website. There are a lot of dealers that will struggle in the current market.  Some will have to reinvent themselves.  Some made their livings primarily from traveling the coin show circuits.  The inevitable truth is that we may lose some coin dealers as a result. Many of these people are our frie
 nds, people we see at every coin show and have for decades. One of my fears is that when coin shows commence again, we may not see some of these faces.   For lack of a better term, some of the “mom and pop” coin dealers will struggle.

If you have the opportunity, take some time to spend a little money with some of the smaller coin dealers.

Anyhow, I will do my best to post updates on the site as time goes on.   As coins come back from grading, they will continue to go up on the website. Several packages of new coins are in-bound from abroad and will be uploaded once graded.  My hope is to continue to offer new coins for collectors on a regular basis during all of this.

Thanks for listening to me rant. If you find something on the site you're interested in, please send us an email with any questions.

If you have any rare coins or are thinking of selling your collection, please reach out to us.

We are actively buying and paying very competitive prices for high grade and rare coins.

I hope to see you at a coin show at some point in the future when things return to the new normal.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

Kent Ponterio

 World Numismatics, LLC.

To visit the World Numismatics web site, see:

https://worldnumismatics.com/

CORONAVIRUS UPDATES: APRIL 5, 2020

Here's another compilation of updates from readers and companies.
 Some of these came to me before our last issue and I didn't get a chance to include them last time.  The situation changes rapidly, so some of these may be outdated by the time you see them, but they provide a great snapshot of where things are in the hobby today.
-Editor

 Canadian Coin News (March 24, 2020)