The E-Sylum v23n05 February 2, 2020

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Feb 2 17:50:23 PST 2020

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 23, Number 05, February 2, 2020
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM FEBRUARY 2, 2020
<#a01>
**
NEW BOOK: WHITE GOLD: EARLY ELECTRUM COINAGE
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: MEXICO CITY MINT VARIETY GUIDE 1772-1821
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: 2019 CNRS TRANSACTIONS VOLUME 6
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: PAPER CURRENCY IN SOUTH-EAST SHANXI
<#a05>
**
NEW ARTICLE: THE FORGER AND NUMISMATIST
<#a06>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS CARNEGIE LARGE CENT IMAGES
<#a07>
**
VIDEO: 2020 FUN SHOW OPENING CEREMONY
<#a08>
**
REMEMBERING JAMES SKALBE
<#a09>
**
CHASE MANHATTAN MONEY MUSEUM: IN GOD WE TRUST
<#a10>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: FEBRUARY 2, 2020
<#a11>
**
SIR THOMAS BROWNE AND THE QUINCUNX PATTERN
<#a12>
**
QUERY: A BLANK CIVIL WAR PAYCHECK
<#a13>
**
NEWS FROM 7/28/1884: NJ WASHINGTON COPPER
<#a14>
**
VOCABULARY TERM: PATINA, PART 2
<#a15>
**
JOHNSON GIDEON BINGHAM (1845-1926)
<#a16>
**
HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 62
<#a17>
**
WAYNE MILLER: THE KING OF SILVER DOLLARS
<#a18>
**
2019 BURNETT ANDERSON AWARDEE PETER VAN ALFEN
<#a19>
**
CALL FOR PAPERS: COINS AS SOCIAL ARTIFACTS
<#a20>
**
PERATROVICH DOLLAR RELEASE BILL GAINS GROUND
<#a21>
**
NUMISMATISTS OF WISCONSIN 60TH ANNIVERSARY
<#a22>
**
STRIKE GOLD AT 2020 ATLANTA NATIONAL MONEY SHOW
<#a23>
**
SELECTIONS FROM HOLABIRD FEBRUARY 2020 SALES
<#a24>
**
NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: FEBRUARY 2, 2020
<#a25>
**
LUDICA OF MERCIA COIN CONFOUNDS EXPERTS
<#a26>
**
LATVIA HONEY COIN NAMED COIN OF THE YEAR WINNER
<#a27>
**
STRIKE YOUR OWN OWN BREXIT 50P EVENT POPULAR
<#a28>
**
BREXIT 50P BOYCOTT OVER OXFORD COMMA
<#a29>
**
ROYAL MINT ALPHABET COINS A BOON FOR VISITORS
<#a30>
**
THE CITY OF CHARLESTON FREE BADGE
<#a31>
**
1899 EXPOSITION PROVINCIALE AWARD MEDALS
<#a32>
**
ECKERT'S ENIAC COMPUTER JOHN SCOTT MEDAL
<#a33>
**
HIGHLAND MINT STRIKES SUPER BOWL LIV TOSSING COIN
<#a34>
**
AUSTRALIA FIREFIGHTERS NATIONAL EMERGENCY MEDAL
<#a35>
**
NUMISMATISTS EDUCATE GOVERNMENT ON COIN VALUES
<#a36>
**
LOOSE CHANGE: FEBRUARY 2, 2020
<#a37>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM FEBRUARY 2, 2020

New subscribers this week include:
Tom Bisson, courtesy of Bob Van Arsdell;
Raphael Dvir,
Frederick Hodes,
Roeland Krul,
Alice Mathiasen,
Antonio Moreno Osorio,
Yuriy Pyrozhko,
Mohammad Raihan,
Aleksey Tarasov,
Krzysztof Wójtowicz,
also
Enro,
Gilberto,
Patrick, and
Serg!
Welcome aboard! We now have 6,084 subscribers.

Many thanks to Owen Linzmayer of The Banknote Book - many of this week's new signups came as a result of a note about The E-Sylum that he added to his web site.  If you run a web site, please consider doing the same to help get the word out.  Here's what Owen posted:

Free subscription to The E-Sylum numismatic newsletter

(https://banknotenews.com/?p=4251)

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

This week we open with four new books, an article, the Clapp large cent collection at Carnegie Museum, and notes from E-Sylum readers.

Other topics this week include the Chase Manhattan Money Museum, In God We Trust, Civil War paychecks, the New Jersey Washington copper, Wayne Miller, James Skalbe, Dr. Peter Van Alfen, Larry Stack, the Peratrovich dollar, the Coin of the Year awards, the Charleston Free Badge,  the ENIAC computer medal, and the Super Bowl tossing coin.

To learn more about electrum coinage, the forger and the numismatist,
 four strongly detailed chain cents, really small coins, a numismatic mystery, Mercury Head Cabernet, patina, the French Ransom Fund medal, Silverton Scrip notes, Luther the Swine, the honey coin, the quincunx pattern, and
 ostrich plumage, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: WHITE GOLD: EARLY ELECTRUM COINAGE

The American Numismatic Society announced in their January 2020 E-News that the book  White Gold: Studies in Early Electrum Coinage is at the printer and will be ready to ship on March 17, 2020.
-Editor

White Gold: Studies in Early Electrum Coinage

Peter Van Alfen (Editor); Ute Wartenberg(Editor); Haim Gitler; Koray Konuk

ISBN: 9780897223492

Published by: American Numismatic Society

Year of Publication: 2020

Language: English

300p

H11 x W8.5

For more information, or to order, see:

White Gold: Studies in Early Electrum Coinage [Hardback]

(https://www.oxbowbooks.com/dbbc/white-gold.html)

NEW BOOK: MEXICO CITY MINT VARIETY GUIDE 1772-1821

Author Brad Yonaka shared this press release for his new book on
coinage of the Mexico City Mint 1772-1821.
Thanks! -Wayne
-Editor

A Variety Guide to the Silver and Copper Coinage of the Mexico City Mint 1772-1821

by Brad Yonaka

ISBN: 978-0-9986825-3-2

262 pp. | 8 ½ x 11 inch hardbound

In 1772, King Charles III’s long delayed order to change the design of Spanish colonial
coinage finally went into effect. The Mexico City mint, flush with the highest influx of mined
silver it had ever experienced in its long history, began striking the newly designed silver reales
by the tens of millions, all now adorned with the likeness of the king. These portraits, which
over time included his son Charles IV, and then his son, Ferdinand VII, oversaw the final stages
of the dying Spanish American colonial edifice. The coinage of this period was welcome in every
trading port of the world, yet failed even to sustain the local Mexican economy.

This book, self-published in January 2020, is a detailed variety guide for all denominations of
the silver and copper reales issues from the Mexico City mint, covering the years 1772 to 1821.
It is essentially a companion volume to previous offerings by the author entitled “A Variety
Guide to the Fractional Pillar Coinage of Mexico City, 1732-1771” and “A Variety Guide to the
Pillar Coinage of the Guatemala Bogota, Lima, Potosi, and Santiago Mints 1751-1772”. As such
the layout is quite similar. The targeted audience is the collector of Spanish colonial or Mexican
coinage, and presumes the reader has a basic knowledge of 18 th century minting processes. It
draws from a database of close to 5000 coin images gathered over a period of two years from
online auctions and photographs of private collections.

No previous publication has dealt
exclusively with this coinage type, and in such detail. Fifty-two new varieties are cataloged, and
some speculative variety types and dates listed but unproven in past research are refuted by
lack of current evidence. With over 500 black and white photos of full coins and close-ups of
variety details, this book strives to provide collectors with the most descriptive tools possible in
pursuit of this famous coin type. Full cross references to previous catalog numbers (if they exist)
are given for each entry.

The book also contains descriptive and historical information, estimated rarities (based on
the author’s extensive auction database and comprehensive die pairing study), and pricing
guide based on recent auction results.

Price: $65 + $5 shipping within USA for total of $70. Overseas shipping please inquire. Order by
sending personal check to:

Agorocu Consulting Inc.

PO Box 41515

Long Beach, CA 90853

Or payment by Paypal to: acanthite at live.com

To read E-Sylum articles on Brad's earlier books, see:

NEW BOOK: MEXICO CITY FRACTIONAL PILLAR COINAGE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v20/esylum_v20n26a04.html)

NEW BOOK: THE PILLAR COINAGE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n33a06.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE
RENAISSANCE OF AMERICAN COINAGE: Wizard Coin Supply is the official distributor for Roger Burdette's three volume
series that won NLG Book of the Year awards for 2006, 2007 and 2008. Contact us for dealer or distributor pricing at www.WizardCoinSupply.com .

NEW BOOK: 2019 CNRS TRANSACTIONS VOLUME 6

Scott Douglas submitted this announcement of the availability of the latest issue of the Transactions of the Canadian Numismatic Research Society.
Thanks!
-Editor

I'd like to make readers of The E-Sylum aware of the Canadian Numismatic Research Society issue of the (New Series) Transactions Volume 6 for 2019.
This year the Transactions is 55 pages, card covered and perfect bound. Shortly after the orders are assembled, as in the past, the edition will be mailed and that will be that. We do not plan on holding stock. Expect delivery by the end of February.

To order your copy please send a cheque, money order, PayPal or e-transfer payable to
Scott Douglas for:

Canadian addresses (postpaid): $35 in Canadian funds or

United States addresses (postpaid): $35 in US funds to:

Scott Douglas

273 Mill St. East

Acton, Ontario, Canada

L7J 1J7

Questions? Email Scott Douglas –

sdouglas333 at gmail.com

Don't procrastinate - order now.  Here's the table of contents.
-Editor

A Guide for Contributors

In Memoriam – Mel Kyle by Len Buth

In Memoriam – Norm Williams by Peter Moogk

In Memoriam – Walter Allan by Susan Allan

In Memoriam – Freeman Clowery by Warren Baker

“Dollars” For The Bank.

The Origins of Silver to the Bank Of England. by William N. Clarke

A Communion Token’s Fall from Grace by Eric Leighton

Howard Laing Hutt. Professor, Gardener, and Numismatist (1866 – 1948) by Scott E Douglas

Afterword by Scott E Douglas

NEW BOOK: PAPER CURRENCY IN SOUTH-EAST SHANXI

In her Chinese Money Matters blog, Helen Wang, Curator of East Asian Money at The British Museum discussed a new book on the origin of currency in Shanxi Province.
-Editor

Many thanks to TIAN Qiuping 田秋平 for giving us a copy of his book.

TIAN Qiuping, Zhibi chushi Jin dongnan (Shanxi guji chubanshe, 2007). ISBN 978-7-80597-856-6  //  Origin of Paper Currency at South-east of Shanxi Province. TIAN Qiuping, Origin of Paper Currency at South-east of Shanxi Province (Taiyuan: Shanxi guji chubanshe, 2007). Black and white illustrations.

Brief Table of contents

Chapter 1: Tang dynasty paper money

The concept of “paper money” in Tang times (p.3)
The beginnings of paper money (4)
“Flying cash” – the start of paper money (9)
Tang dynasty money written in ink (10)
“Great Tang Treasure Certificates” – did they exist? (14)

Chapter 2: Northern Song dynasty paper money

The concept of paper money in the Song dynasty (19)
Official notes (jiaozi) (20)
The establishment of the Luzhou jiaozi office (22)
The suspension and end of the Luzhou jiaozi office (28)
On the printing plates for Luzhou jiaozi (29)
The meaning of qian si cang (33)
Materials relating to Luzhou jiaozi (34)

Chapter 3: Jin and Yuan dynasty paper money

The concept of paper money in the Jin dynasty (42)
The “Luzhou contract” notes of the Zhenyou period (43)
Zhenyou period printing plates unearthed in Qin xian (45)
Jin dynasty silver ingots of Licheng county (50)
A hundred years of Yuan dynasty paper money (51)

Chapter 4: Ming dynasty paper money

The concept of paper money in the Ming dynasty (57)
A Chongzhen plate for Ming dynasty notes unearthed in Luzhou (59)
The emergence of private coin-shops (qianzhuang) (66)
The Ming dynasty notes from Luzhou and Cangu Temple (69)

Chapter 5: Qing dynasty paper money

The concept of paper money in the Qing dynasty (77)
The Changzhi “coin-table” (qianzhuo) (79)
Changzhi “coin-businesses” (qianhang) in the early Qing dynasty (81)
Tracing back to the source of “coin-notes” (qianpiao) (93)
The proliferation of private notes (97)
County-level notice aimed at the qianhang (104)
Varieties of private notes and coin-notes (112)

Chapter 6: Lu[zhou] salt and salt notes

Traces of salt-trading in ancient times (139)
The circulation of salt notes (yanchao, yanyin) in historical times (142)
Bi Xiang, who issued salt notes (yanchao) and Luzhou (146)
Some big salt traders of Luzhou (148)
Conclusion (155)

References and sources (156)

Afterword (157)

To read the complete article, see:

65. BOOK: ORIGIN OF PAPER CURRENCY IN SOUTH-EAST SHANXI

(https://chinesemoneymatters.wordpress.com/2020/01/26/66-book-origin-of-paper-currency-in-south-east-shanxi/)

NEW ARTICLE: THE FORGER AND NUMISMATIST

Helen Wang, Curator of East Asian Money at The British Museum also discussed a new article by by Lyce Jankowski 19th century Chinese collectors and forgers.
-Editor

The latest edition of ÉTUDES CHINOISES – Revue de l’Association française d’études chinoises, Vol. XXXVII-2 (2018), has been published, and includes an article on Chinese numismatics by Lyce Jankowski, curator of non-European arts at the  Musée Mariemont, Belgium. It was presented at the study day she co-organised with Alice Bianchi, in Paris, in 2018, and includes abstracts published in French, with abstracts in French, English and Chinese:

“What lengths the forgers go to! They produce items as large as yi and ding vessels; and as small as coins.” These are the bitter facts that greet the reader on the first page of Guanguge quanbian  (Identifying the coins from the Guanguge), a pamphlet from 1873 which deals exclusively with the question of forgeries. Written by the eminent numismatist and collector Bao Kang (1810-1881), it gives the names of several forgers of the Xianfeng and Tongzhi reign periods, and details of their particular techniques. These forgeries, aimed at collectors, circulated through the hands of antique dealers.

We learn that some dealers availed themselves of the services of forgers. For example, the brothers Su Zhaonian (dates unknown) and Su Yinian (dates unknown) in Chang’an worked together with a certain Zhang Erming (dates unknown). The manufacturing techniques varied, and some were more sophisticated than others. The simplest method was to make casts of existing coins; but sometimes an old coin might be given a new inscription, and some fantasy pieces were created too.

One forger in particular attracted great attention. He was Li Baotai 李寶臺 († ca 1875), who earned the respect of the most important collectors of the time—Liu Xihai  (1793-1852), Ye Zhishen  (1776-1861), Li Zuoxian  (1807-1876), Chen Jieqi (1813-1884), and Yang Jizhen (1820-1901) —who called on his talents at making rubbings and entrusted him with their private collections of coins. They even bought old coins for him, although they were aware of his forgery business. The quality of his rubbings rendered him indispensable to them and at the same time afforded him direct access to rare pieces, which he could copy at leisure. The relationships between the collectors and forgers were thus ambiguous. Bao Kang frequently met with the forgers, whom he named, and whose skills he acknowledged. The sale of such forgeries did not worry him as much as the possibility that they might be published by collectors who did not know better.

To read the complete article, see:

64. “THE FORGER AND NUMISMATIST: LI BAOTAI AND BAO KANG” – BY LYCE JANKOWSKI

(https://chinesemoneymatters.wordpress.com/2020/01/25/64-the-forger-and-numismatist-li-baotai-and-bao-kang-by-lyce-jankowski/)

NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS CARNEGIE LARGE CENT IMAGES

The latest additions to the Newman Numismatic Portal are photos of the Carnegie Museum George H. Clapp Large Cent collection. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.  Thanks.
-Editor

Newman Portal Adds Carnegie Museum Large Cent Collection Images

While the story of the frontline portion of the George H. Clapp large cent collection at the American Numismatic Society is well known (with many pieces switched out by William H. Sheldon and today largely recovered), few collectors realize that Clapp also donated (c. 1946-1947) nearly 500 large cent duplicates to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh, PA. These have been recently photographed by Lyle Engleson, under joint sponsorship of Newman Portal and Early American Coppers (EAC).

Although certain delicacies such as the S-48 “Starred Reverse” variety are not present here, the Carnegie holding does include four strongly detailed chain cents in addition to the rare S-80 Jefferson Head and other rarities. Engleson’s imaging is superb as always and will serve as the definitive photographic record of this collection for the foreseeable future. An exhibition of the Carnegie collection will be a highlight of the 2020 EAC convention, to be held in Pittsburgh April 30 – May 3, 2020. Newman Portal acknowledges EAC President Bill Eckberg for his coordination of this project.

Images: 1793 S-1 chain cent from the Carnegie collection

Link to Carnegie Museum / George H. Clapp U.S. large cents on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/imagecollection/515508

Link to 2020 EAC Convention announcement, including an exhibition of the Carnegie collection, in Coin World:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/eac-convention-highlight-visit-to-clapp-collection-of-large-cent-duplicates

VIDEO: 2020 FUN SHOW OPENING CEREMONY

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's one on the recent FUN show opening ceremony.
-Editor

FUN Coin Convention Opening Ceremony Orlando 2020. VIDEO: 6:23.

Bob Hurst, President, Florida United Numismatists

The annual FUN Coin Convention took place in Orlando January 9-12, 2020. President Bob Hurst welcomed attendees and introduced American Numismatic Association President Steven Ellsworth and the FUN staff who help put on the show. Then the ribbon is cut and the show opens to the public.

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://youtu.be/8x4VUeBtjzg

REMEMBERING JAMES SKALBE

Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4) Past President Ray Williams provided this remembrance of dealer James Skalbe.  Thanks!
-Editor

At our C4 Conventions in Boston, if you stopped at the C4 table, you would find Tom Rinaldo's table on your right and Jim Skalbe's table on the left.  While breaking down the C4 table at one convention's end, a young man, pre-teen, maybe 10 years old, approached the C4 table.  I always make time for young people (and old ones too).  I asked him what he collected and to my surprise, he said, "colonial coins"!

In my excitement I asked him if he brought any with him, and he replied in the affirmative.  Looking at what he had, I saw a well worn Massachusetts cent and a few other coppers.  Not having my readers (glasses) in reach, I handed a well worn coin I couldn't see clearly enough to Jim and asked if he could see what it was.  He took about 10 seconds and replied to the young man, "I'll give you a thousand dollars for it".

"I told the young man to get his father, who was looking at a table about 20 feet away.  Jim did end up with the coin. It was a Vermont Ryder 1.  I'm sure there are many in C4 who could share stories about Jim.  Somewhere I have a few of his old coppers he stamped with his business name.  Worth little in the open market, they are of value to me.

Great story.
C4 VP Craig McDonald get credit for the two images of Jim used in this article, taken from C4 publications for us by Ray Williams.
Next is a remembrance from Roger Siboni.
-Editor

I had the good fortune to know and work with Jim Skalbe from his days at Worthy and then even more when he started Colonial Trading Company with partners (I think) Russ Smith (among others maybe, though I only really spent time with Jim and Russ).

Business used to take me to Boston frequently during those days, particularly when the main Institutional Fund Managers like Fidelity where largely based there.

Jim would always manage to dig up some treasure for me about once a year.  Some of my most prized possessions came from Jim.

Despite some of his excesses (see below), I always judged him by a very well known event in Colonial numismatic circles.

Then Bowers and Merena sent me three extraordinary New Jersey Coppers for lot viewing before a fairly well known sale to lot view via US Mail. I just couldn't get to the auction or live lot viewing anywhere.

They were famously lost in the mail upon my quick review and return to B&M (see C-4 Newsletter.......). Wowie!!

After supplying the necessary documentation (keep your receipts!) the insurance company and VERY quickly the FBI were on the case. Mail fraud is something the FBI takes pretty seriously!

A year later, before an ANA convention I could not make, I called Jim before the show to see what he was bringing. He sent me one coin to look at. It took a few minutes, but I don't forget too many Condition Census New Jersey coppers. A quick call revealed it walked in the door from a vest pocket dealer.

It turns out (an FBI investigation later), the vest pocket dealer bought it from a pawn shop, who bought it from an airport US Mail handler.

Jim did not hesitate an instant when I pointed him to the auction catalogue and the withdrawn three lots (all three of which were sold by the vest pocket dealer). He was on the phone with B&M in an hour to his personal loss. That was all I needed to know about Jim.

A year or two later, I was able to finally buy the three New Jersey Coppers from the insurance company!

By the same 'token' (ha ha - my vain attempt at humor), Jim lived large. Very large in every way. His girth, his personality, his love of food and drink and a great time.

We often went out to dinner in the best places in town when I was there. Often with Russ and sometimes other local collectors, dealers or friends. Colonial Trading often paid the bill and it was always a long night that I never was able to finish much after dinner.

But I will say, some great rarities like one of the finest Noe 1 Pine Tree Schilling came from Jim. Some fabulous Washington Inaugural buttons including one of the finest Pater Patrie buttons of the movie National Treasure fame came from Jim.  A pristine original Stamp from the Stamp Act (go find one). I could go on. They all came from Jim.

He did live a large life, in every way. His death was always a mystery and made me sad. Jim was something for those that knew him and was one of the most knowledgable Colonial Numismatist dealers in the business.

I don't know the circumstances of his passing. Best to respect his families wishes I think. But somehow, I think Jim ended his life like he lived it. In a large way.

Thanks everyone, including Pete Smith who kicked off this discussion in an earlier issue.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

JAMES EDWARD SKALBE (1955-2017)

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n04a09.html)

CHASE MANHATTAN MONEY MUSEUM: IN GOD WE TRUST

Ken Berger passed along these images of another Chase Manhattan Bank Money Museum pamphlet - this one on the "In God We trust" motto.  Thanks!
-Editor

Ken also passed along this announcement card of the Museum's new address.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JANUARY 26, 2020 : Chase Manhattan Bank Money Museum Pamphlet

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n04a14.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: FEBRUARY 2, 2020

 On Really Small Coins

Gold Gajapati Fanam

Kavan Ratnatunga writes:

I agree the technology to put such detail in a mass-produced coin which is just 3 mm in diameter is great. Maybe the R&D & Marketing cost US$200,000, which justifies the Swiss Mint charging 999 coin collectors US$205 for US$3 worth of Gold & Packaging. A previous record holder over 600 years old is shown in

http://coins.lakdiva.org/medievalindian/gajapati_fanam_au.html

The 1/10th Fanam Gold coin called Bele with a size around 2-4 mm and weight around
0.04 grams is also smaller than the modern Swiss coin.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/indian-state-gold-coin-10th-century-440148721

Thanks.  Neat little coin.
-Editor

Ken Berger adds:

I was already familiar with the famous picture of Einstein sticking out his tongue. I often wondered at whom he was sticking it out. Now I know! Since it occurred on March 14, 1951, he was sticking it out at me because that is the day I was born. I guess he didn't like me.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

SWISS MINT SELLS OUT OF SMALLEST COIN

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n04a26.html)

 Micromosaic Passion Coin: The Girl with a Pearl Earring
Lou Golino writes:

I received my third Great Micromosaic Passion coin last week (The Girl with a Pearl Earring).
It is really outstanding.

Very nice!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

MICROMOSAIC COINS: GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n02a27.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JANUARY 19, 2020 : The Micromosaic Passion Coins

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n03a10.html)

 Photo Captions with Ken Bressett
Ken Bressett writes:

"I can’t be entirely sure of everybody in the Smithsonian photo, but I easily recognize the Stefanellis. I am pretty sure that is Hans Schulman at the far left. The person seated across from Mrs. S is definitely not Abe Kosoff."

Ken adds:

"In the article about Don Hirschhorn, Dave Lange has asked for a photo of him at a younger age.  This one shows Don on the right and R. S. Yeoman on the left."

R. S. Yeoman and Don Hirschhorn

Thanks! Great photo.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

THE CLAIN-STEFANELLIS AT THE SMITHSONIAN

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n04a15.html)

DONALD S. HIRSCHHORN (1927-2020)

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n04a08.html)

 A Numismatic Storefront in 1915
Len Augsburger writes:

Illustrated here is the storefront of Burdette G. Johnson’s St. Louis Stamp & Coin Co. in 1915, taken from the December issue of Philatelic West for that year. Johnson, operating at 115 N. 11th Street in St. Louis, frequently advertised stamps, coins, and other collectibles in the pages of Philatelic West. The image is grainy, but conveys the essential information. The downtown city lot is narrow, with a large display window and a door to the side. An awning provides some protection against the elements when entering or exiting. We can only speculate what was on display, but it was likely some combination of coins and stamps with a few other objects mixed in.

Thanks.  Next-best thing to a time machine.  It would be fun to explore the stock of a dealer from a century ago, without a slab in sight.  Handle those coins carefully, though!
-Editor

 Quiz: A Numismatic Mystery
Pete Smith offers this numismatic mystery. He writes:

Who is the man pictured on the right and what is his role in current numismatics?

OK, E-Sylumites.  Who's got the answer?
-Editor

 ANA Summer Seminar Medals Survey Class
David Menchell writes:

"I thought some readers might be interested in this year's ANA Summer Seminar and the class I will be teaching with David Alexander.   We will be reprising the Survey class covering medals from the early portrait medals of the Renaissance to contemporary medals issued in the 21st century.  The course will cover technical aspects of producing medals, important references and literature. and an historical survey encompassing major periods,  styles, countries and important artists and engravers.   The course will include much new material added since the last survey course in 2016.  More information can be found on the ANA website."

Sounds like a great event.  The Summer Seminar is far and away one of the best things in numismatics anywhere.
-Editor

For more information, or to register, see:

ANA SUMMER SEMINAR 2020

(https://www.money.org/summer-seminar)

 Mercury Head Cabernet
In his Northeast Numismatics blog this week,
Chris Clements writes:

Check out this find at a wine store near me this past weekend. Mercury Head Cabernet. Really high star rating, but also really expensive. I couldn't help myself and had to buy it. (Then explain to my wife when I brought it home that this nice wine is NOT for drinking!)

Very nice!   I'll look for this.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

Northeast's Blog

(https://www.northeastcoin.com/blog.jsp)

SIR THOMAS BROWNE AND THE QUINCUNX PATTERN

Last week's essay on the books of Sir Thomas Browne inspired
Bob Van Arsdell to submit these thoughts on Browne and the quincunx pattern as a design element in coinage.  Thanks.
-Editor

I've known for some time that Sir Thomas Browne had a loyal following of enthusiasts, but I never imagined there would be more than one of us on The E-Sylum. I wonder how many others there are? I'd like to think that his Pseudodoxia Epidemica entitles him to the title: "Father of the Mythbusters".

Browne has some numismatic connections worth noting. In the Hydriotaphia, he used finds of Roman coins to date archaeological sites in Britain. He's usually credited with the earliest report of the Cani Duro type of Celtic Coin as well (though the coin he reported didn't carry the full legend).

His Garden of Cyrus never receives the attention it deserves. He pointed out the "quincunx pattern" (a checkerboard of diamonds) as something the human mind was attracted to – something that influences the way people think and and act. He shows how the pattern was used over and over in ancient times. Workers today would recognize this as one of the earliest uses of "Structural Analysis" in archaeology, pre-dating Levi-Strauss by 300 years.

Ancient British coins occasionally show the quincunx as an image element – as on this Kentish gold quarter stater struck about 45-40 BC. The reverse image is adapted from a Roman Denarius of Julius Caesar showing a "trophy of arms". The Celtic die-cutter has loaded the field with boxes and circles filled with quincunx patterns, something not seen on the Roman prototype. This would be a case where numismatists might employ Structural Analysis to study the image and its meaning – and use the idea introduced 350 years ago by Sir Thomas Brown.

To read the complete article, see:

ESSAY: RARE NECESSITIES

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n04a07.html)

QUERY: A BLANK CIVIL WAR PAYCHECK

Michael Atkins writes:

Below is what I think is a blank Civil War Paycheck from 1862, a lithograph from Hatch & Co. I have searched past Heritage auctions, Newman Portal, and various search engines. The best I’ve been able to do is several photos of filled out and endorsed CW paychecks, but nothing like this. JJ Cisco would have been Assistant US Treasurer for New York so it would probably have come out of his office. Anyone know more about this?

I can think of a few federal contractors who would be happy to have a blank check from Uncle Sam.  In the paper money world, unissued remainders are sought after for their generally high condition yet are often far more common than issued examples.  With checks it can sometimes be the opposite.  Issued and cancelled checks have no monetary value and often come into the collectible marketplace years later when offices and files get cleaned out.
Blank checks are guarded more carefully while the accounts they draw on are still open.  But years later, if not destroyed, unissued checks can enter the market as well.

Can anyone add anything about this unissued check?  Do other examples exist?
-Editor

NEWS FROM 7/28/1884: NJ WASHINGTON COPPER

I've always enjoyed old newspaper articles relating to numismatics - there is a large world of interesting and often overlooked information waiting to be discovered (or rediscovered) by today's collectors and researchers.
For some time now I've wanted to have a regular E-Sylum article featuring these delightful snippets - even ones that are laughably incorrect.

Researcher and longtime E-Sylum contributor Julia Casey offered to kick off such a series.  Here is her first contribution, on the rare "New Jersey Washington" Copper.   Readers are welcome to send in their own contributions - we'd love to hear from you.
-Editor

In the January 1874 edition of the American Journal of Numismatics, William Sumner Appleton published an article titled “Newspaper Cuttings.”  He explained he was inspired to do so as “A VERY curious if not valuable paper might be made up from the many little items concerning numismatics which have appeared in the newspapers of late years.  I propose to try something of the kind, to preserve in the Journal various facts, which have never yet been printed there.”

In furtherance of this noble enterprise, below is a numismatics-related newspaper article that appeared in the July 28, 1884 edition of The Times (Philadelphia).

Haseltine on the “New Jersey Washington” Copper

John W. Haseltine, the antiquary and numismatist, tells a curious story of his accidental discovery of the General Washington penny of New Jersey.  “One day an old man, a total stranger to me,” said Mr. Haseltine, “came into my place with a number of old copper coins he wished to sell.  After a little discussion in regard to the price I bought the lot, which seemed to consist altogether of trash, at the rate of about two cents apiece.  They were dirty and in very poor condition.  After they had been washed and the acids applied I discovered this one, the only one of its kind, to my knowledge, in existence.  Dr. Maris came in to see me a few days after this and I offered him the coin for forty dollars.  He refused to give more than thirty, and when he came back the next day to give me my own price for it I told him I had been thinking all night about that penny and it shouldn’t go for less than a hundred.  This made him angry and he went away.  I sold it in New York tw
 o weeks afterwards for $150.  This was eight years ago.  After the man who bought it died his collection was sold at auction and the coin passed into the hands of L.G. Parmalee, of Boston, who paid $610 for it.  This gentleman possesses the finest cabinet of coins in the United State. It contains more unique specimens than half a dozen other cabinets put together and must have cost him not less than $50,000.  A hundred thousand dollars couldn’t buy it.”

Some History Behind the Article:

The “General Washington penny of New Jersey” is pictured in Neil Musante’s Medallic Washington on page 11 and indexed as GW-04.   Per Musante, quoting Baker: "This piece, found in a lot of old coppers about ten years ago, by Mr. John W. Haseltine, of Philadelphia, was purchased at the Crosby sale, June, 1883, by Lorin G. Parmelee, of Boston, for six hundred and twenty dollars, the highest price as yet paid for any single Washington piece.  The date is probably 1786."

This coin is more commonly known as the “New Jersey Washington Cent” and has been attributed to Walter Mould, who was also involved in the minting of New Jersey coppers.  Musante indicates there are presently “3 known.” Haseltine’s example is shown in the 1908 article:

The coin imaged by Musante is from the collection of Syd Martin and is a different coin than Haseltine’s (notably it has sharper detail and has been holed):

Haseltine told his story again at the 1908 A.N.A. Convention (published in the October-November 1908 edition of The Numismatist).  It is this reiteration, rather than the 1884 newspaper article, which appears to be the source for the standard history of the coin. However, some details are different from what was reported in 1884:

The unique New Jersey Washington cent was brought into my store in a bag with about one thousand other copper pieces covered with grease and dirt. They were accumulated in a small grocery store kept by an old woman who was so suspicious that she would not get what they were worth that every coin I looked at carefully she quietly slipped in her pocket after I laid it down. Realizing at that rate I would get nothing examined, I merely counted them - (noticing the New Jersey cent but not daring to examine it to see if it was copper or lead) and as most of the pieces were common United States Colonials and foreign coins I obtained them at two cents each.  After she left the store I hastily looked over them until I found the New Jersey Washington and ascertained it was a struck piece in copper. I offered it to Dr Maris of this city for fifty dollars, he declined to purchase, saying the price was too high. Realizing after research that I had a unique coin I then sold it to Mr. S.S.
  Crosby of Boston for one hundred and fifty dollars. You probably know of its history since, and that no other has ever been discovered. It would probably sell now for about fifteen hundred dollars.

It should be noted that in the 1884 article Haseltine does not mention Crosby by name but states that “After the man who bought it died his collection was sold at auction and the coin passed into the hands of L.G. Parmalee, of Boston, who paid $610 for it.”  Sylvester Crosby’s collection was cataloged by Haseltine and auctioned in 1883.  The New Jersey Washington Cent sold as lot 1165.  However, Crosby did not die until 1914.

A January 27, 1951 letter from John Ford to Eric Newman archived on the Newman Numismatic Portal traces what Ford believed to be the 3 known examples. Haseltine’s coin is said at that time to be in the Garrett collection at Princeton University, the Martin coin is traced to the 1914 Parsons sale, and the third specimen is from the James Ten Eyck Collection in 1922 and was owned by F.C.C. Boyd in 1951.  Ford admits some confusion over the provenance of the Haseltine coin and the Ten Eyck coin.  His letter can be found here:

https://archive.org/details/fordjohnj1950to51epncorr/page/n3/mode/2up

Do any E-Sylum readers have information on the whereabouts of the Haseltine and Ten Eyck coins?

VOCABULARY TERM: PATINA, PART 2

Dick Johnson submitted this entry from his Encyclopedia of Coin and Medal Terminology. It's the second of two parts on an important numismatic topic - patina.  Thanks.
-Editor

 Patina.

How To Further Beautify A Patina

Add an enamel.

Add a second patina color.

Do both sides in a different color.

Add a colorful object to the surface.

Add a stipple color effect (with spots of color).

Use masks and make in three or more patina colors.

Add a highlight with a contrasting color.

Add color with a tint lacquer.

Add a clear overcolor.

Add an undercolor.

Patina chemicals.  The following chemicals are some of the more frequently used in patina finishes:

Ammonium carbonate  (NH4)2 CO3.H2O.  A mixture of ammonium bicarbonate and carbonate. Used for a bronze patina of bluish-green color.  Also called “hartshorn.”

Ammonium chloride  (NH4Cl) A patina solution for coloring bronze a verde antique green.  Also called “sal ammoniac.”

Ammonium sulfide  (NH4)2SO4  An excellent darkening agent for bronze and silver in highlighting during a finishing operation. The objects to be darkened are immersed in this chemical for less than ten seconds – the sulfide is the source of sulfur as the darkening agent.  Also called “sulfate of ammonia” and “sulphuret of ammonia.”

Barium sulfide  (BaSO4)  Used as a coloring agent for bronze medals for a light brown color, called “Old English.”

Copper chloride  (CuCl2)  A patina coloring chemical producing yellowish-green color on bronze.  Also called “cupric chloride.”

Copper nitrate  (CuNO3)  Used for dark blue and green patina coloring on bronze.  Also called “cupric nitrate”

Copper sulfate  (CuSO4)  Colors bronze green. It is the green corrosion on copper items in an atmosphere exposed to sulphur and moisture over long time.  The composition of incrusted patina.

Ferric nitrate  (Fe(NO3)2)  For use only by very experienced finishers; colors a dark chocolate color. Care must be used, however, as some of the nitrate salts can spot the surface.

Liver sulfide  (K2S)  Used for a bronze patina on statues and medals; it produces a color from red brown to dark brown.  Also called “liver of sulfur,” “potassium sulfide,”  “sulfurated potash.”
Liquid sulfur.  (S)  Quickly turns bronze and silver a dull black.

Oil of lavender.  A bronze patina of pale ashen green color, formed by adding yellow pigments to oil of lavender.

Potassium nitrate  (KNO3) is a patina solution for turning bronze a dark red color.  It is most used for tempering tool steel (heat treating dies) and for chemical analysis. It is also called “saltpeter.”

Potassium permanganate  (KMnO4)

History and cataloging.  Bronze statues have been given protective finishes for centuries; often with patinas that are a distinctive color. But it is only since the 1880s that bronze medals have been given patinas for their distinctive color. The French were the first to develop patinas for art medals. This came about from the introduction of sandblasting a metal surface, then oxidizing and relieving this surface (known as french antique). To carry this one step further by using sculptural patinas to medals was a natural progression.

In cataloging work, medals with a color patina should be so identified. This has been observed in the past but only a rudimentary way, as the basic color of the metal finish. It is hoped that color standards can be established within the medallic field in the future and these utilized in cataloging art medals.

Patina terminology.  Most patinas are named for the end color the formulas and applications produce. Even thought this technology is more than a century old it is still evolving in its terminology. An extensive word list including patina terms are given in the entry finish and finishing.

The dictionary plural of patina is patinae, but modern workers say patinas. Both are correct. Also the verb is patinate, and past tense is patinated. The noun form of an existing metal coloration is either patina or patination. To do over a patina is repatinate.