The E-Sylum v23n07 February 16, 2020

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Feb 16 19:05:39 PST 2020

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 23, Number 07, February 16, 2020
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM FEBRUARY 16, 2020
<#a01>
**
THE BIRMINGHAM ASSAY OFFICE LIBRARY SALE
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: "ERRORS AND VARIETIES" REPRINTS
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: ATWOOD-COFFEE CATALOGUE, 2020 EDITION
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: BANK NOTES AND SHINPLASTERS
<#a05>
**
NEW BOOK: THE ROLE OF MONEY IN WARTIME
<#a06>
**
BANKNOTE BOOK NEWFOUNDLAND CHAPTER PUBLISHED
<#a07>
**
BOOK REVIEW: THE MAN IN THE RED COAT (DR. POZZI)
<#a08>
**
NEWMAN NUMISMATIC PORTAL BEGINNER’S GUIDE
<#a09>
**
VIDEO: 1715 FLEET SOCIETY DIRECTOR BEN COSTELLO
<#a10>
**
1792 SILVER DISME PROJECT ANNOUNCEMENT
<#a11>
**
JOSEPH LOVELL WRIGHT JR: PEACE MEDAL DESIGNER?
<#a12>
**
CORRECTIONS: GROUVILLE HOARD DETAILS
<#a13>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: FEBRUARY 16, 2020
<#a14>
**
AM I NOT A MAN AND A BROTHER TOKEN PEDIGREES
<#a15>
**
BANK OF NEW YORK FUGIO CENTS IN LUCITE
<#a16>
**
U.S. MINT 'HOW TO MAKE A PENNY' BROCHURES
<#a17>
**
VOCABULARY TERMS: INSCRIBE, INSCRIBING
<#a18>
**
KARL "CHARLES" J. H.  FUELSCHER (1863-1936)
<#a19>
**
HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 63
<#a20>
**
CALL FOR PAPERS: 2020 SUNDMAN SERIES
<#a21>
**
SAN FRANCISCO MINT STRIP CAST / SHEARED INGOTS
<#a22>
**
BLYTHBURGH HOARD DECLARED TREASURE
<#a23>
**
1830 TEMPLETON REID 2 1/2 DOLLAR GOLD OFFERED
<#a24>
**
PATTERN COINS FROM CHARLES BARBER ESTATE
<#a25>
**
ROYAL MINT DINOSAUR COINS
<#a26>
**
MEDIALIA EXHIBITS MASHIKO'S MEDALLIC SCULPTURE
<#a27>
**
CHINA DISINFECTS BANKNOTES TO STOP COVID-19
<#a28>
**
LOOSE CHANGE: FEBRUARY 16, 2020
<#a29>

Click here to read this issue on the webs

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM FEBRUARY 16, 2020

New subscribers this week include:
Barry Sunshine and David Manivitz, courtesy of Jim Neiswinter; and
Mazen Mira.
Welcome aboard! We now have 6,087 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

This week we open with a numismatic literature sale, six new books, updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and a report on the 1792 Dime Project.

Other topics this week include hidden engraver signatures, the Grouville and Blythburgh hoards, Fugio cents encased in Lucite, U.S. Mint visitor brochures, Women in Numismatics, pattern coins from the Charles Barber estate, and the Royal Mint's dinosaur coins.

To learn more about the Birmingham Assay Office, engraver William Wyon, error coins, shinplasters, money in wartime, Boardman Silversmiths,
 the the Snyder Collection at the Truman Library,
the man in the red coat and the Little Frenchman and His Bank Notes, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

THE BIRMINGHAM ASSAY OFFICE LIBRARY SALE

Antiquarian bookseller Forum Auctions in London is offering the Birmingham Assay Office Library on March 26, 2020. Included are a number of numismatic titles as well as some books from the library of Matthew Boulton.
-Editor

The Statute of 1300 allowed the Wardens of the Company of Goldsmiths in London to go out to workshops in the City and assay silver and gold. However, only silver that met the required standard was marked at this time. The mark was the symbol of the leopard’s head which is still the mark of the London Assay Office today. Gradually gold came to be marked in the same way as silver.

Quite some time after, in 1478, the Wardens of Goldsmiths set themselves up in Goldsmiths Hall and paid a salaried assayer to test and mark items submitted to them. This led to the introduction of the date letter in order to make successive assayers accountable for their work.

Birmingham Assay Office was founded by an Act of Parliament in 1773. It had become clear by this time to the silversmiths of Birmingham, especially Matthew Boulton, that their trade would never truly prosper without an Office of their own. Boulton lobbied Parliament vigorously and was finally rewarded by the Hallmarking Act 1773, which founded the Birmingham Assay Office.

For more information on the Birmingham Assay Office, see:

THE STORY OF ASSAY OFFICE BIRMINGHAM

(https://theassayoffice.com/assay-office-birmingham/the-story-of-assay-office-birmingham)

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum