The E-Sylum v23n45 November 8, 2020

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Mon Nov 9 03:34:12 PST 2020

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 23, Number 45, November 8, 2020
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM NOVEMBER 8, 2020 <#a01>
** NBS BIBLIOTALK PODCAST ON BOOKBINDING <#a02>
** KOLBE & FANNING AUCTION SALE 158 HIGHLIGHTS <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: MONEY AND POWER IN HELLENISTIC BACTRIA <#a04>
** NEW BOOK: CURRENCIES OF RAJPUTANA <#a05>
** WARNER CLYDE HUBBARD (1916-2020) <#a06>
** ROBERT OBOJSKI (1929-2020) <#a07>
** NNP ADDS NUMISMATICS OF ABOLITION MONOGRAPH <#a08>
** VIDEO: PANDAAMERICA FOUNDER MARTIN WEISS <#a09>
** DIGITIZING THE NATIONAL NUMISMATIC COLLECTION <#a10>
** MORE ON THE BANK OF ALCATRAZ OVERSTAMP <#a11>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: NOVEMBER 8, 2020 <#a12>
** THE RECTANGLE COINS: JAPANESE BAR MONEY <#a13>
** JAPANESE COIN COLLECTION AT THE BRITISH MUSEUM <#a14>
** VOCABULARY TERM: NONSENSE DIE <#a15>
** EDGAR HOLMES ADAMS (1868-1940) <#a16>
** HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 82 <#a17>
** HARVEY STACK ON NEW YORK'S NUMISMATIC DISTRICT <#a18>
** COLTRANE NORTH CAROLINA CURRENCY <#a19>
** AZERBAIJAN MUSEUM DISPLAYS ANCIENT COINS <#a20>
** PAKISTAN NUMISMATIST SHAKEEL AHMAD KHAN <#a21>
** ISRAEL ANTIQUITIES AUTHORITY COIN COLLECTION <#a22>
** COINS FOUND AT MARYLAND PLANTATION <#a23>
** ZOOMISMATICS: STACK'S BOWERS LARRY MILLER EVENT <#a24>
** TRIPLE COUNTERMARKED COIN EXAMINED <#a25>
** TOKEN AND MEDAL MAKER JOHN GIBBS <#a26>
** HISTORY OF GERMANY’S BLUE MAX MEDAL <#a27>
** THE STORY OF CANADA'S 1975 TWO-DOLLAR BILL <#a28>
** LOOSE CHANGE: NOVEMBER 8, 2020 <#a29>
** A SURREAL ESCHERESQUE BOOKSTORE IN CHINA <#a30>
** FEATURED WEB SITE: THE TYRANT COLLECTION <#a31>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM NOVEMBER 8, 2020

I'm resending Sunday's E-Sylum because of some problems we had last night.  First, some readers reported not seeing images.  This was likely a temporary glitch with our image hosting source, Flickr.  This seems to have been resolved.

The second problem was that we accidentally published in a new format we're experimenting with - it's a slimmed-down version with only the first part of most articles in the email itself with the rest found online via a "Read more here" link.  Those links wouldn't work last night because the individual article pages weren't created until early this morning.  Sorry for the confusion; please bear with us, and let us know what you think of the "slimmed-down" option.  We'll return in our traditional format next week.

New subscribers this week include:
Larre Shiller, courtesy of Barry Tayman;
Brandon Adcock,
Shantanu Singh, and
Bryan Stoughton.
Welcome aboard! We now have 6,590 subscribers.

This week we open with a new NBS podcast, highlights from the upcoming Kolbe & Fanning sale, two new books,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and more.

Other topics this week include authors Edgar H. Adams, Clyde Hubbard and Robert Obojski, the numismatics of abolition, digitizing the National Numismatic Collection, Japanese bar money, nonsense dies, New York's numismatic district, North Carolina currency, the Blue Max, and the Tyrant Collection.

To learn more about numismatic bookbinding, Buenos Aires medals, the King of Mexican Numismatics, PandaAmerica, Dorothy Baber, the Japanese Coin Collection at the British Museum, ANACS grading certificates, Capital Coin Company, the Israel Antiquities Authority coin collection, and Zoomismatics, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NBS BIBLIOTALK PODCAST ON BOOKBINDING

The latest episode of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society podcast is now available for listening. Check it out! It's on the NBS web site but also available elsewhere. Vice-President/Secretary Len Augsburger provided this report.
-Editor

NBS Podcast “The World of Bookbinding” Posted

The latest episode of the NBS Bibliotalk podcast, “The World of Bookbinding” is now available on the NBS website and other popular podcasting platforms such as Buzzsprout. Lianna Spurrier, Bibliotalk producer, interviews Scott Kellar of Scott Kellar Bookbinding and Restoration in Chicago.

A number of NBSers in the Midwest have used Scott’s services to conserve numismatic books, and his work is well-known. Kellar discusses how he got started in the business, a typical day in his shop, and particularly interesting or challenging projects. Kellar maintains a storefront on the northwest side of Chicago, well worth a visit and easily accessible from the 2021 ANA convention site, for those planning to attend.

Link to “The World of Bookbinding” on the NBS home page:

https://www.coinbooks.org/

Link to “The World of Bookbinding” on Buzzsprout:

http://nbsbibliotalk.buzzsprout.com/

KOLBE & FANNING AUCTION SALE 158 HIGHLIGHTS

Here are some more highlights of the Kolbe & Fanning sale announced last week.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers are holding our 158th auction sale on Saturday, November 21, 2020. The 467-lot sale features material from the extensive working library of Eldert Bontekoe, the TAB Library of works on ancient coins, and other properties. Most heavily focused on books and catalogues relating to ancient coins, the sale also features a substantial section on world coins and a smaller, but choice, selection of items of American interest.

Some highlights of the sale include:

 Lots 56 and 174

Lot 56: Edward Newell’s copy of Combe’s 1782 Hunterian catalogue

Lot 174: Rollin & Feuardent’s majestic 1898 catalogue of the Henri Hoffmann collection

 Lots 200 and 286

Lot 200: one of only 50 copies produced of the 2012 reprint of Svoronos & Pick on Athenian coins

Lot 286: Burzio’s massive three-volume work on Buenos Aires medals

 Lot 211

Lot 211: an original set of Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum von Aulock

 Lot 269

Lot 269:  Dr. Bassoli’s set of Argelati’s rare and enormously important De Monetis Italiae, a foundational classic of Italian numismatic literature

 Lots 412 and 415

Lot 412: S.H. Chapman’s catalogue of the Dr. Henry Beckwith collection of United States large cents, with seven spectacular photographic plates of the highest quality

Lot 415: Brent Pogue’s exceptional copy of the “Nova Constellatio” binding of the first edition of Crosby’s Early Coins of America

 Lots 425 and 459

Lot 425: the complete photographic record of the Eugene Gardner collection of United States silver coins

Lot 459: a beautifully bound copy of Thompson’s rare Autographical Counterfeit Detector.

Register early to bid online
Bids may be placed via post, email, fax or phone, as well as online. Kolbe & Fanning is using Auction Mobility as our third-party online bidding platform. Auction Mobility is an app-based platform allowing users the ability to participate in the sale through phones, tablets and computers. To register for the sale, bidders must go to

bid.numislit.com
 and sign up. Once you have set up an account, you may browse lots, place advance bids, or participate in the live sale online. Those wishing to participate on their devices can download the new Kolbe & Fanning app through the Apple or Google Play Store.

Bids placed via post, email, fax or phone must be received by Friday, Nov. 20, the day before the sale, in order for them to be processed. Advance absentee bids may also be placed at any time online at

bid.numislit.com; live internet bidding will be available during the sale itself through the same platform.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed and bonded auction firm in the State of Ohio. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at

bid.numislit.com or email David Fanning at

df at numislit.com.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

KOLBE & FANNING AUCTION SALE 158 ANNOUNCED

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n44a02.html)

NEW BOOK: MONEY AND POWER IN HELLENISTIC BACTRIA

The American Numismatic Society has published a new book on the coinage of Hellenistic Bactria.  Here's the announcement.
-Editor

Money and Power in Hellenistic Bactria

(Numismatic Studies 40)

By Simon Glenn

$150

member price: $105

The coins produced by the kings of the Graeco-Bactrian kingdom of the third and second centuries BC are the best and, in some cases only, primary source of evidence for the history of the period. The lack of context has, however, often led to highly speculative uses of the numismatic evidence in previous historical reconstructions. Money and Power in Hellenistic Bactria returns the focus to the coins themselves and presents the results of a full die study of the issues of Euthydemus I, Demetrius I, Euthydemus II, Pantaleon, Agathocles, and Antimachus I. In doing so it proposes a new, soundly based history of the Graeco-Bactrian kingdom under these kings based on a thorough understanding and suggested reconstruction of these enigmatic coins.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Simon Glenn is Digital Curator of Early Modern European in the Heberden Coin Room at the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology, University of Oxford. He was previously a research fellow of the same institution where he has worked on both Greek and Roman numismatics. He has been a member of the Coin Hoards of the Roman Empire, Roman Provincial Coinage, Ancient Coins as Related Cultural Heritage, and the Oxford-Paris Alexander projects. He is a graduate of the University of Edinburgh and completed his PhD at the University of Oxford (Wolfson College), the research of which provides the basis for this book. He is a fellow and council member of the Royal Numismatic Society, and is a member of the American Numismatic Society.

Forgot the ANS Member discount code? Email

membership at numismatics.org, or call (212) 571.4470, ext. 117.

For more infomation, or to order (in the United States), see:

Money and Power in Hellenistic Bactria: Euthydemus I to Antimachus I [Hardback]

(https://www.oxbowbooks.com/dbbc/money-and-power-in-hellenistic-bactria.html)

For more information, or to order (in the rest of the world), see:

Money and Power in Hellenistic Bactria [Hardback]

(https://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/money-and-power-in-hellenistic-bactria.html)

NEW BOOK: CURRENCIES OF RAJPUTANA

A new book has been published on the currencies of the Hindu states of Rajputana.
-Editor

The Currencies of Rajputana

William Wilfrid Webb (Author)

Synopsis

The author, who was posted as Surgeon Captain in the Indian Medical Service, Bengal Army, in his leisure hours during the years spent on duty at the courts of Udaipur and Bikaner, devoted his attention to the subject of coinage in the native states of Rajputana. The amount of local coins circulating in the Rajput states was very large, almost the collection of a century.

The coins were fashioned in a crude way with a hammer and anvil and had plain unmilled edges. Stamping was carried out in a similarly rough manner – one workman holding the piece of metal between two dyes, while another workman with a blow from a heavy hammer completed the coin.

Gold, silver and copper coins were minted. Some of these mints were later closed down due to an order of the British Indian government in 1870. However some rupee coins were given permission to continue. The book covers the history of the coins of Mewar, Dungarpur, Marwar, Jhalawar, Alwar, Bharatpur, etc.

For more information, or to order, see:

The Currencies of the Hindu States of Rajputana

(https://www.bagchee.com/books/BB131109/the-currencies-of-the-hindu-states-of-rajputana)

WARNER CLYDE HUBBARD (1916-2020)

Numismatics has lost another of the great numismatists of all time: Clyde Hubbard passed October 26th at the age of 104.
Thanks to Adrián González-Salinas for letting us know, and for the book images below.
-Editor

The Sociedad Numismática de México writes:

"The Numismatic Society of Mexico mourns the sensitive passing of 104-year-old Clyde Hubbard (Philadelphia, 1916) who was a founding partner of SONUMEX in 1952, with partner number A-22, occupied different Society positions, numismatic researcher, co-authored in various works including: "Hookneck, the profile eagle" and "A Guide book of Mexican coins 1822 to date"

Clyde Hubbard with his library

Ken Bressett writes:

"Clyde was my dear friend and inspiration for over 50 years. He was always a charming host and entertainer at his home in Cuernavaca whenever I visited him there. He will be missed by all for his vast knowledge, cheerful attitude and good humor."

Anthony Tumonis of
Tucson, Arizona  writes:

"Clyde Hubbard was a pioneer and scholar in Mexico Coinage who will be missed by everyone he came in contact with.  Kind and generous, Clyde showed compassion and made you feel like you were family.  I always looked forward to visiting with Clyde at numerous coin shows though out the years.  Clyde made me a better Numismatist with his friendship."

Adrián González-Salinas writes:

"Don Clyde Hubbard will be missed by all of Mexico's numismatists.
QEPD Mr. Clyde Hubbard."

Translations:

(1) Don = Mister

(2) QEPD = Que En Paz Descanse = RIP = Requiescat In Pace (Rest in Peace).
-Editor

Mexicanus Numisma Rex: King of Mexican Numismatics!

To watch a video interview, see:

Clyde Hubbard: Socio fundador de SONUMEX

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG7uxiOfV1A)

To read the Facebook announcement, see:

Sociedad Numismática de México

(https://www.facebook.com/sonumexoficial/posts/3459057664180576)

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

VIDEO: CLYDE HUBBARD AND FRIENDS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n15a11.html)

WARNER CLYDE HUBBARD

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n14a07.html)

VIVA CLYDE HUBBARD!

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n15a14.html)

ROBERT OBOJSKI (1929-2020)

Pete Smith passed along the obituary of numismatic author
Robert Obojski.  Thanks.  I found more information on Wikipedia and elsewhere and pieced together this article.  Would any of our readers have something to add to this?
-Editor

Robert Obojski age 91, born Oct 19, 2029, passed away Oct 31, 2020 in Roslyn, NY.

Robert Obojski received a Ph.D. from Western Reserve University in 1955, became a college professor of English and went on to write numerous books on baseball, stamp and coin collecting, and memorabilia. Among other things, he was known for his amazing recall of statistics, particularly on baseball.

To read the complete article, see:

Robert Obojski

(https://obits.cleveland.com/obituaries/cleveland/obituary.aspx?pid=197035179)

Obojski taught at Detroit Institute of Technology (1955–60), Western Kentucky State College (1962–64), Alliance College -Cambridge Springs, PA (1964–66, 1967–69), Edinboro University (1966–67), and Delaware State College (1970–72) Full Professor.

Obojski worked as contributing editor for Sports Collectors Digest, Global Stamp News, and Linn's Weekly Stamp News.

He was an ongoing contributor to Teddy Bear Review as well as publications from Sterling Publishing. He had lived in Port Washington, NY.

His books include Bush League: a History of Minor League Baseball (1975), Great Moments of the Playoffs &amp World Series (1988), and The Rise of Japanese Baseball Power (1975).

Here are some of the coin books written, co-written or edited by Robert Obojski.
-Editor

Catalogue of the World's Most Popular Coins by Fred Reinfeld and Burton H. Hobson, edited by Robert Obojski (1986)

Coin Collecting as a Hobby written by Burton H. Hobson edited by Robert Obojski (1986)

Coin Collector's Price Guide (1995)

Illustrated Encyclopedia of World Coins written with Burton Hobson (1983)

Ships & Explorers on Coins (1970)

To read the complete article, see:

Robert Obojski

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Obojski)

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum