The E-Sylum v24n51 December 19, 2021

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Dec 19 19:25:56 PST 2021

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 24, Number 51, December 19, 2021
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 19, 2021 <#a01>
** KüNKER POINSIGNON LIBRARY SALE RESULTS <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: GEORGE HEARST <#a03>
** COINWEEK ON DAVE BOWERS' RETIREMENT <#a04>
** “BOWERS ON COLLECTING” COLUMN RETIRED <#a05>
** THE BENEFITS OF PRINT-ON-DEMAND <#a06>
** NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS JAMES C. BOOTH PAPERS <#a07>
** NNP NUMISMATIC NOTABLE: BETH DEISHER <#a08>
** VIDEO: CLEVELAND COIN DEALER RAY BURNS <#a09>
** MORE ON HENRY COGSWELL <#a10>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 19, 2021 <#a11>
** BENJAMIN WEST DESIGNS BRITISH COINAGE <#a12>
** VOCABULARY TERM: GRAVER <#a13>
** 100-YEAR-OLD NUMISMATISTS <#a14>
** NORA W. HUSSEY (1915-2020) <#a15>
** HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 111 <#a16>
** CARTAGENA MMXXI CONVENTION <#a17>
** WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: DECEMBER 19, 2021 <#a18>
** THE KöHLMOOS COLLECTION AT KüNKER <#a19>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: DECEMBER 19, 2021 <#a20>
** THE ANCIENT CELTIC COINAGE OF BRITAIN <#a21>
** THE 1853 NO ARROWS OR RAYS QUARTER <#a22>
** STANLEY APFELBAUM AND FIRST COINVESTORS <#a23>
** THE FIRST BANKNOTES FROM AFGHANISTAN <#a24>
** COLOMBIA NOTES IN STACK'S BOWERS NYINC SALE <#a25>
** LOOSE CHANGE: DECEMBER 19, 2021 <#a26>
** A 1927 CHRISTMAS GIFT GUIDE <#a27>
** CHRISTMAS COINS NATIVITY SCENE  <#a28>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 19, 2021

No new subscribers this week.  We now have 6,718 subscribers.

This week we open with Alain Poinsignon numismatic library sale results, one new book, Q. David Bowers, print-on-demand, updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, notes from readers and more.

Other topics this week include Philadelphia Mint Melter and Refiner James C. Booth, former Coin World editor Beth Deisher, dealers Ray Burns and Ian Laing, American artist Benjamin West, Numismatic Centurians, the Cartagena Convention, auction previews, First Coinvestors, banknotes of Afghanistan and Columbia, and Christmas in numismatics.

To learn more about Leo Hamburger, Adolph Hess, George Hearst, Henry Cogswell, Karl Moulton, Jorge Proctor, photo certificates, dictators on coins, money in movies, the burin graver, Gadsby's Tavern, the Husum taler,
 the Fairy Tale King, Pepin the Short, and the ancient Celtic coinage of Britain, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

KüNKER POINSIGNON LIBRARY SALE RESULTS

Künker's auction 357 featured the final part of the research library of French coin dealer Alain Poinsignon. Here are some results of the sale.
-Editor

Our three-day eLive Premium Auction 357 ended with the final part of the numismatic library of Alain Poinsignon.

We would like to thank all participants for their great interest and active participation. For some of them the hammer fell only after very long bidding battles. Of particular interest were the auction catalogs of the Parisian auction house Etienne Bourgey as well as the Frankfurt/Main based auction houses Adolph E. Cahn and Adolph Hess. Furthermore, the fixed price and auction catalogs of Dr. Jacob Hirsch, Munich and the Italian coin dealer Rodolfo Ratto received great interest.

We would especially like to thank Alain Poinsignon for his confidence in us. With the auction catalogs 342/344 and 357, we hope that we have been able to create a lasting memorial for his numismatic library. Even though the publications will pass into new hands through the auction, the auction catalogs are not only intended to commemorate Alain Poinsignon, but to encourage all coin enthusiasts to build up a numismatic library of their own.

 Lots 3011 and 3035

Lot number 3011

JOSEPH BAER, SOTHERAN & CO.

Auktion vom 7.10.1872 u.f.T., Frankfurt/Main.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 340 euros.

Lot number 3035

G. THEOD. BOM & ZOON

Auktion vom 17.-22.12.1888, Amsterdam.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 430 euros.

 Lots 3153 and 3169

Lot number 3153

ETIENNE BOURGEY

Auktion vom 2.-6.3.1925, Paris [Maurice Carpentier].

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 350 euros.

Lot number 3169

ETIENNE BOURGEY

Auktion vom 7.-12.5.1930, Paris [Maurice Carpentier].

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 310 euros.

 Lots 3192 and 3267

Lot number 3192

ADOLPH E. CAHN

Auktion [9] vom 25.2.-2.3.1901, Frankfurt/Main.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 490 euros.

Lot number 3267

ADOLPH E. CAHN

Auktion 83 vom 17.7.1933 u.f.T., Frankfurt/Main.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 700 euros.

 Lots 3648 and 3771

Lot number 3648

LEO HAMBURGER

Auktion [76] vom 19.10.1925 u.f.T., Frankfurt/Main.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 800 euros.

Lot number 3771

ADOLPH HESS

Sammelband von Festpreiskatalogen [5; 11] der Kollektion Montenuovo.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 400 euros.

 Lots 3812 and 3887

Lot number 3812

ADOLPH HESS NACHF.

Komplettausgabe der 3 Auktionskataloge der Sammlung Meyer-Gedanensis.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 525 euros.

Lot number 3887

ADOLPH HESS NACHF.

Auktion [142] vom 10.-14.3.1913, Frankfurt/Main.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 525 euros.

 Lots 4012 and 4014

Lot number 4012

DR. JACOB HIRSCH

Auktion 11 vom 4.5.1904, München.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 950 euros.

Lot number 4014

DR. JACOB HIRSCH

Auktion 13 vom 15.5.1905 u.f.T., München.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 850 euros.

 Lot 4930

Lot number 4930

ADOLPH WEYL

Konvolut von Festpreislisten, Berlin 1879-1900.

Estimate: 10 euros, Hammer price: 1.450 euros.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

POINSIGNON LIBRARY, INTERNATIONAL COIN TRADE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n48a04.html)

NEW BOOK: GEORGE HEARST

A new book on mining baron George Hearst has an interesting vignette about evaluating ore from the Comstock Lode at the San Francisco Mint.
-Editor

Hearst was born in 1820 into modest yet comfortable circumstances in Missouri, where his father owned three small farms. Farming interested young George not at all, but when he was 15, lead was discovered near his home. The subsequent diggings fascinated him. “I think I was naturally a mineralogist,” he would write years later. “The knowledge seems to me instinctive.”

When gold was discovered in California, Hearst headed west with plenty of competition: There were perhaps 800 San Franciscans before the metal revealed itself at Sutter’s Mill. By the time Hearst arrived, in the fall of 1850, the city’s population had swelled to 25,000, with more than 100,000 hopefuls scouring the riverbeds.

Hearst joined them, and after some discouraging months seeking gold along the rivers—which were overcrowded and quickly exhausted—he turned to the mountains. By then he was looking for quartz, not because it was valuable, but because he had learned that during the volcanic birth of California’s coastal mountains, streams of molten quartz carried gold along with them and imprisoned it as they cooled.The knowledgeable prospector could crack open a stone and see within its snowy depths a gleaming yellow filling. Hearst’s friends gave him the name “Quartz George.”

Then came Washoe, part of Utah Territory at the time. Hearst had heard about silver deposits there, and bought a share of a mine. At first nobody believed that the ore he brought back to San Francisco was valuable, but finally the head of the San Francisco Mint agreed to give it a look—he offered Hearst and his associates $91,000 after costs, or about $3 million today, for what turned out to be one of the earliest extractions from the Comstock Lode. After that, the money never stopped.

Nor did Hearst. In the following decades he traveled throughout the West, sometimes coming up dry, more often not. Some 65 miles outside of Butte, Mont., in 1883, Hearst began digging at the Anaconda Mine, where “they struck a bed of pure copper. Continuing to delve, they found that the bed was thirty to forty feet wide and descended more than a thousand feet. In other words,” Mr. Bernstein writes, “it was the greatest copper strike on the planet.”

He had a rival in Clarence King, a fellow appraiser of mines. Both the Southerner and the Westerner in Hearst disliked what Mr. Bernstein describes as King’s “high-minded northern sensibilities.” King, for his part, remarked that “Hearst was bitten on the privates by a scorpion; the latter fell dead.”

Perhaps inevitably for a man of his wealth, Hearst went into politics, ending his days as a Democratic senator from California. This is surely the least appealing part of his career. Still, there is a warmth to the man that makes him good company throughout the book, and charm in his downright language, as when he said, “When I was young I had very strong religious views, and was brought up to a thoroughly orthodox way; but after leaving home my ideas got broader, and on studying these things for myself, without any influence from parents, or ministers, I came to the conclusion that I knew just about as much about it as anybody, and I knew nothing.”

To read the complete article (subscription required), see:

‘George Hearst’ Review: A Head for Metals

(https://www.wsj.com/articles/george-hearst-review-a-head-for-metals-11639345597)

COINWEEK ON DAVE BOWERS' RETIREMENT

As noted earlier, Dave Bowers is retiring from publishing his regular columns in the numismatic press.  Here's an excerpt from a CoinWeek article by Charles Morgan and Hubert Walker.  See the complete article online for more.
-Editor

Quentin David Bowers, better known in numismatic circles as Q. David Bowers and known to his family and friends as simply “Dave”, has announced his retirement as a columnist from both The Numismatist and Coin World.

He has accomplished much writing for both publications, earning the respect of generations of coin collectors and numerous awards from the Numismatic Literary Guild. As readers and consumers of both publications, his regular presence will be missed.

We have long been fans of Q. David Bowers’ lengthy catalog of numismatic works. In fact, as is the case with so many in the hobby, we met Dave first through his columns and then his many numismatic books. Charles’ first Bowers book was his 1983 treatment on the collecting life and accomplishments of Virgil Brand. Soon thereafter, we read other works in his back catalog: Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States (1993); Commemorative Coins of the United States (1991); The History of United States Coinage as Illustrated by the Garrett Collection (1979); United States Gold Coins: An Illustrated History (1984); and his novel and exciting work Adventures with Rare Coins, published in 1979.

His columns touch on many stories and side streets contained in his larger works, but the informality of his shorter work allowed collectors a more intimate insight into Bowers’ point of view.

Q. David Bowers may have retired his two columns but Dave is still here for his family and friends and friends in the hobby. We are thankful and better off for Q. David’s continued service and hope that the extra time he gives himself will now afford him the opportunity to continue the good work he most certainly has planned out.

To read the complete article, see:

Q. David Bowers Retires Two Major Columns As Storied Career Continues to Reshape Numismatics

(https://coinweek.com/people-in-the-news/q-david-bowers-retires-two-major-columns-as-storied-career-continues-to-reshape-numismatics/)

“BOWERS ON COLLECTING” COLUMN RETIRED

A CoinUpdate article by Brandon Christopher Hall announces Dave Bowers' retirement from another of his regular columns.
-Editor

The retirement of the ubiquitous and prolific numismatist, author, and columnist Q. David Bowers from his American Numismatic Association and Coin World columns was announced earlier this week. We at Coin Update and Mint News Blog have a similar announcement to make regarding his weekly “Bowers on Collecting” column. As keen readers may have already noticed, we have been publishing some more of his archived work in previous weeks as his active workload was gradually trimmed down toward retirement.

Bowers’ earliest piece on Coin Update was “Tribute to Saint-Gaudens by de Francisci,” and he has since been a frequent contributor. In January 2018, his “Bowers on Collecting” column commenced, and ever since he has provided his unique insight to Coin Update readers on a weekly basis.

One can hardly think of numismatics without the name “Bowers” coming to mind. His work has inspired, enlightened, and contributed to the hobby in an incalculable number of ways. From his writing and consulting with Whitman Publishing (made formal in 2003 when he joined the firm as Numismatic Director), to his active roles in the retail and auction markets (since the 1950s), to fostering and collaborating in historical research (also since the 1950s, including as a founder of the Rittenhouse Society), Bowers has made his mark in every way a person can in the hobby. He is known for his encyclopedic memory about coins and the history behind them, recalling every detail in a manner so similar to his published content that the two are irrevocably married.

We will continue to rerun occasional articles selected from the archive of his weekly “Bowers on Collecting” column. And Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker assures Coin Update readers that there are new Bowers books in the works, covering U.S. quarter eagles and half eagles, private and territorial gold coins, obsolete paper money, the history of coin collecting in America since colonial times, and other topics, including his own autobiography.

Having personally worked with Dave Bowers, I can say it’s been an experience I will never forget. Those of us in the hobby are undoubtedly standing on the shoulders of giants.

We'll look forward to the upcoming book announcements!
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

A legend retires

(http://news.coinupdate.com/a-legend-retires/)

THE BENEFITS OF PRINT-ON-DEMAND

A few weeks ago the American Numismatic Society announced its new print-on-demand program.  At the same time, it announced the publication of a book on 20th century Washington medals by the late Syd Martin, who'd also authored multiple award-winning books on U.S. colonial numismatics.  Here are a couple comments I saw that week on the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4) Google Group.
-Editor

David Menchell wrote:

"While missing other issues of the 20th century, the birth bicentennial celebration was responsible for creating enough material to rival the late 18th and 19th century items catalogued by Baker and more recently, Neil Musante's opus on Washingtoniana.  Between Neil's book and now Syd's, a large portion of this material has been systematically organized.  We are lucky to have had Syd's meticulous analytic skills applied to so many areas of collecting interest.  I'm sure this will stand as the major reference for this material for many generations to come.  Thanks for the heads up.  I already ordered my copy."

Jeff Rock wrote:

"I was so glad to see ANS went through with this - likely knowing they won't make money on it, but just to honor Syd.  A few years ago Syd showed me a draft and I thought it publication ready then, but always the perfectionist he was chasing a few more pieces he had heard about but had no photos of.  At the time he said the book wouldn't be publishable - outside the realm of C4, and TAMS didn't have the ability to do a quality project.  Thankfully this was one of the few times Syd was wrong, and the hobby as a whole will be better off for having this reference in print.  It's outside of my area of interest (though I did collect Washingtonia early on), but I will still  be ordering a copy.  Hopefully many C4 members do so as well."

Specialized numismatic works were always hard to get into print - with a small audience it can take years or decades to break even on the costs of a print run, if ever.  Many are self-published at great expense by the authors, and many other book projects never get off the ground because of the well-known uphill road to publication.

I suspected Syd's new book was a print-on-demand project from the get-go, and David Gladfelter confirmed this with ANS publications director Andrew Reinhard.
-Editor

David writes:

"When Syd died earlier this year, the Washingtonia book was mentioned along with the four books already published by him. No one seemed to know anything about this unpublished work. I am delighted to see it in print so quickly.

"I would be interested in knowing to what extent print on demand (POD) has already taken over numismatic publications which typically have very small press runs. Two C4 titles published conventionally this year in limited press runs are already out of print. Should they have been published on demand? If so, how long should they have remained in print? If an author rather than an organization controls the POD, what are the pros and cons? Lianna Spurrier and David Fanning have touched on this topic in their presentations."

Here are Andrew Reinhard's comments on the topic.
-Editor

Syd’s book is a born-POD title, 8.5” x 11”, 600 pages, full-color throughout on 70-lb. paper for the hardcover edition and 50-lb. for the paperback. We showed off a test-printing at the ANA World’s Fair of Money earlier this year to great interest, and I am glad the book is now finally available for purchase. The ANS was gifted the completed manuscript by Syd's widow. Ute Wartenberg knew he was working on it prior to his passing, and I think he had literally dotted the last “i” and crossed the last “t” only a day or so before he died. Syd wrote the words and had literally hundreds of color images tied to the text. His wife knew where everything was, so it was easy to transfer the files. Jesse Kraft here at the ANS read the volume for content and was able to correct a few things, and then I line edited it to improve the English a bit and to whip it into ANS house style. I also typeset the volume and designed the cover, which features dozens of numismatic artifa
 cts showcased inside the book. The manuscript and art were in such good shape that the book practically designed itself, and I am thankful for Syd’s care and attention to detail.

As for POD generally at the ANS, we are intending to use it for the following:

1. Rescuing out-of-print books and journal numbers, ensuring quality and using the same design files or high-definition scans of our very old titles. While not a first printing, the content and size will remain the same as originally published and will also be branded as official ANS publications. This will protect the buyer from either over-spending or purchasing a cloned copy of an ANS work being sold by predatory publishers on Amazon. People can buy directly from us.

2. On some occasions there are unbudgeted-for volumes (like Syd’s) that require near-immediate production and publications. We can use POD to get around what might be (in his case) a $15,000 printing bill for a few hundred copies printed on spec.

3. Some books will be born-POD to keep things affordable for readers, especially younger people, graduate students, and hobbyists on a budget.

The ANS will not become 100% POD (at least for as long as I am here). Some books require offset printing and, as in the case of books featuring color reproductions of banknotes, stochastic printing, something POD just can’t deliver. POD books should not be considered as second-class citizens. Case-in-point is Faustina the Younger, which is a born-POD book, which the author graciously allowed us to experiment with POD to our (and his) satisfaction. For cases where we publish something that might only sell less than 200 copies, POD seems to be an affordable route to take.

On the chance that a book is under-printed, we can do a second printing using POD instead of re-investing another $10k–$20k in a reprint, which might not sell out the second time around. We did this for White Gold and Coins of the Ptolemaic Empire, making both available in hardcover and paperback this time, while trying to keep prices down somewhat for readers who missed out on the initial run.

Print-on-demand has been the only option considered when authors approach the Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society (EPNNES) or the Newman Numismatic Portal (NNP) for assistance.  NNP has worked with a number of authors to make their manuscripts print-ready and available for reading or downloading on the site.  Authors are free to take the file to a printer or print-on-demand site  to create hardcopies, and some have done so.

The first of these that I saw in hardcopy format was David Alexander's book, Medals of the Hall of Fame for Great Americans at New York University.  Dave had a small number printed and I purchased one from him at the 2019 ANA World's Fair of Money.  It was a beautiful volume that I was delighted to add to my library.  Print-on-demand production quality can be quite high.  While there are some nuances that Andrew mentioned above, I see no reason not to consider a POD option for any specialized numismatic book.

To further address David's question about the extent to which POD has already taken over numismatic publications, I know that earlier announced works from Peter Bertram and Peter Jones are available via print on demand, and I'm sure there are others.  It's definitely an option the community is pursuing.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: GREAT AMERICANS HALL OF FAME MEDALS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n22a09.html)

ANS ANNOUNCES PRINT-ON-DEMAND PROGRAM

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n48a05.html)

NEW BOOK: COMMEMORATIONS OF WASHINGTON

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n48a06.html)

NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS JAMES C. BOOTH PAPERS

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is a collection of papers of Philadelphia Mint Melter and Refiner James C. Booth. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Newman Portal Adds James C. Booth Papers

The Science History Institute in Philadelphia holds the papers of James C. Booth, U.S. Mint Melter and Refiner in Philadelphia from 1849 to 1887. Newman Portal subsidized the scanning of this material earlier this year and this content is now available on NNP. Included are over 300 pieces of correspondence related to Booth’s activities at the Mint.

An 1852 letter, for example, from Booth’s brother-in-law notes

“I have just perused McCulloh’s pamphlets – the last dated 5 August – and although the man has rendered himself contemptible by his charges of want of fairness and of honesty, yet I consider it incumbent on you to disprove such charges as he brings against your business capacity, by accusing you of leaving 5[?] of silver in the gold, 4/5ths of which should have been separated in the refining or partment...”

This letter refers to Richard McCulloh’s pamphlets attacking Booth (published in 1851 and 1852). As Booth served in the Mint another 36 years after publication of this work, the charges seem to have not greatly threatened his career.

McCulloh wrote yet another pamphlet in 1853, this time attacking Chief Coiner Franklin Peale, a rare document highly prized by bibliophiles and better known than the works from 1851 and 1852. All three of the McCulloh pieces are available on Newman Portal.

Image: Extract of September 8, 1852 letter from Conrad William Faber to James Curtis Booth

Link to James C. Booth papers on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/archivedetail/544527

Link to Richard S. McCulloh pamphlets:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/booksbyauthor/1333

NNP NUMISMATIC NOTABLE: BETH DEISHER

Another addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is an interview with former Coin World editor Beth Deisher. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Beth Deisher, In Her Own Words

Newman Portal has released the latest installment of its interview series, Numismatic Notables. This episode features a wide ranging discussion with Beth Deisher, Coin World editor from 1985-2012. From her time in Iran as a member of the International Farm Youth Exchange to working against counterfeiters in her “retirement,” Deisher offers opinions on the evolution of coin collecting and the related media coverage over the last generation.

Deisher played an important role as an advocate for coin collectors in Washington, D.C., and was instrumental in the formation of the States Quarters program and the Citizens Coin Advisory Committee. Deisher has had an insider’s view of the legislative activity related to the U.S. Mint and reveals tidbits such as Donna Pope’s crash course in numismatics upon her appointment as Mint Director in 1981. This episode was produced by Lianna Spurrier, Numismatic Marketing, and features Len Augsburger as interviewer.

Link to Beth Deisher interview on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/609452

VIDEO: CLEVELAND COIN DEALER RAY BURNS

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's an interview with Cleveland coin dealer Ray Burns.
-Editor

Ray Burns Shows Overprint $20 Bill at PAN 2021

 VIDEO: 2:53.

Ray Burns, Cleveland Coin Dealer, David Lisot, Interviewer, CoinTelevision.com. October 29, 2021.

Ray Burns has been in numismatics more than fifty years. At 80 years old he has seen a lot of coin shows. Hear Ray talk about the numismatic market and the Pennsylvania Association of Numismatics Coin Convention. Best of all he shows an example of a $20 bill overprinted that someone received from an ATM!

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://youtu.be/JdZsQuSJ7R8

MORE ON HENRY COGSWELL

Michael Wehner writes:

"About the E-Sylum article on Henry Cogswell, I only just realized that the medal in my collection of Henry Cogswell depicts the same person as on the checks from the Cogswell Polytechnical College, of which I have a stack of. I thought I had a new discovery, but Loren Gatch posted an article describing these and this eccentric philanthropist on the Society of Paper Money Collectors website just this past May.

"I also was unaware of Dave Lange's PCNS article (shame on me) nor his article in The Numismatist. Interestingly, although the date on the medal is 1865, it is not on the list of items in Cogswell's 1879 time capsule."

To read the Loren Gatch article, see:

“All Benefactors of Man I Claim as My Brethren”: Henry D. Cogswell and his Fountains of Philanthropy

(https://www.spmc.org/blog/%E2%80%9Call-benefactors-man-i-claim-my-brethren%E2%80%9D-henry-d-cogswell-and-his-fountains-philanthropy)

Reader Steve passed along these two consecutively numbered Cogswell checks.  Thanks.
-Editor

DR. HENRY DANIEL COGSWELL POLYTECHNICAL COLLEGE CHECK DATED 1899. With PORTRAIT of this NOTED SAN FRANCISCO DENTIST, TEMPERANCE MOVEMENT LEADER and the MAN WHO ESTABLISHED PUBLIC DRINKING FOUNTAINS ALL OVER the USA.

With SLOGAN... ALL BENEFACTORS OF MANKIND I CLAIM AS MY BRETHREN

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 12, 2021 : More on Dr. Henry D. Cogswell

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n50a12.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 19, 2021

 More on Karl Moulton
Dave Steine writes:

"I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Karl Moulton. We talked regularly about all things
numismatic, he was a good person and loved our hobby. Although not commonly known, Karl was one
of the great numismatists of our time. His encyclopedic knowledge of 19 th century US auction
catalogues, the US mint and US coinage always amazed me. I would often contact Karl before major
numismatic literature auctions to make sure I didn’t overlook some special item. When the Newman
library came up for auction, I called Karl. His immediate response was: “make sure you try and buy the
1809 Perkins Bank Bill Test with plates from the Streeter collection”. Karl had probably been to
Newman’s bank vault and seen the Perkins in person.

"Most recently, in the spring of 2020, I purchased hundreds of items from Karl’s personal library. This
transaction went on for months, Karl would send me packages and lists almost weekly. One of my
favorite purchases was a priced and named copy of Woodward’s 1864 McCoy sale in a beautiful
contemporary binding, lot 967. Upon receipt of the catalogue, I saw the familiar JF sticker in the inside
cover. I immediately looked in the Ford PRL and saw that it had sold reasonably, things like this didn’t
get past Karl.

"I knew Karl for 20 years and we had a close connection beyond numismatics, Karl loved hot rods and old
Chevy’s. He was in the process of finishing a long-term project, a 1957 Chevrolet Belair. Once about 10
years ago I picked Karl up in Congress, AZ and we made a trip together to Las Vegas to buy some rare
Pontiac engine parts. I was attending the annual January Barrett Jackson auto auction and had just
finished paying Karl for his Deluxe Browning; he of course loved early bust quarters and Deluxe
Browning’s were a favorite of his. I told him of my plan to drive up to Las Vegas and of my intention to
pick up the Browning, Karl being the car guy that he was wanted to ride along. I will always remember
that trip together.

"RIP Karl."

Karl's passing was a surprise and shock to all of us in the numismatic literature community.  He will be missed.  I added an old photo of Karl from his former website, coincats.com.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

KARL V. MOULTON (1953-2021)

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n50a05.html)

 More on George Orr's Clay Tokens
Steve Roach writes:

"WOW! Thank you for bringing attention to the great article on the George Orr pieces! Aren't these wild?!?!?"

They're something else, alright.  I tried publishing as few racy words as possible and last week's issue got caught in some ISP spam filters anyway.  If you missed the issue, everything is archived online at our website.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article and issue, see:

GEORGE OHR'S PROVOCATIVE CLAY TOKENS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n50a23.html)

Volume 24, Number 50, December 12, 2021

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/club_nbs_esylum_v24n50.html)

 First They Came For The Statues...

Our recent discussion about purging the numismatic record echoes Ron Guth's July blog post, "First They Came For The Statues...".  See the complete article online; here's the addendum.
-Editor

"People collect coins for a host of reasons, including their intrinsic value, the beauty of their designs, their historical significance, and, yes, even their symbolism.  Numismatists (coin collectors) are generally well-intentioned people who simply enjoy their hobby.  Just because someone collects a particular coin does not mean they endorse the philosophical or political views of the government that produced the coins.  Coins are an important part of human history -- in some cases, they are the only remnants or certain people, places, and events -- and to deny or attempt to erase that history dooms us to repeat it."

To read the complete article, see:

First They Came For The Statues...

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/first-they-came-for-the-statues)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 5, 2021 : On Purging the Numismatic Record

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n49a09.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 12, 2021 : More On Removing Published Material

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n50a12.html)

 Steve Martin and Sam Buttrey
Bruce Bartelt writes:

"I also spotted Sam Buttrey on Jeopardy! and made the connection with his father.  In fact, Prof. Sam Buttrey has at least one numismatic work to his credit, an article in the ANS AJN 9 (1997):  “Calculating ancient coin production, again”, co-authored with Ted Buttrey, that concerns another numismatic debate – whether it is possible to calculate the size of an ancient coin emission based on die studies.

"Prof. Buttrey took the championship in the Professors Tournament!

"By the way, Prof. Buttrey’s TV appearance has sparked some internet buzz concerning his resemblance to Steve Martin.  I admit I did a double-take when he first popped up on screen!"

Thanks.  Decide for yourself - it is a great resemblance.
-Editor

Steve Martin and Sam Buttrey

Back when he made his big debut as a contestant on the show, Buttrey earned a flurry of comparisons to Steve Martin. He’s got the platinum white hair, great sense of humor, and his voice even sounds a little like the Only Murders in the Building star’s cadence. Audiences also found another Martin coincidence in the fact that Martin famously portrayed King Tut on Saturday Night Live and King Tut was one of the categories in his first game.

To read the complete articles, see:

‘Jeopardy!’ Fans believe the new finalist resembles Steve Martin.

(https://washingtonnewsday.com/health-wellness/jeopardy-fans-believe-the-new-finalist-resembles-steve-martin/)

Steve Martin Doppelgänger Sam Buttrey Wins ‘Jeopardy!’ Professors Tournament

(https://decider.com/2021/12/17/steve-martin-doppelganger-wins-jeopardy-tournament/)

Link to ANS library catalogue is:

Review Article : Calculating ancient coin production, again. / S. E. Buttrey and T. V. Buttrey.

(https://donum.numismatics.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=152457)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 12, 2021 : Ted Buttrey's Son Sam on Jeopardy!

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n50a12.html)

 Robert H. Lloyd and the 1934 ANA Convention Photo