The E-Sylum v24n11 March 14, 2021

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Mar 14 17:29:05 PDT 2021

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 24, Number 11, March 14, 2021
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 14, 2021 <#a01>
** NEW BOOK: GUIDE BOOK OF U.S. COINS, 75TH ED. <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: AUSTRALIAN PRE-DECIMAL VARIETIES <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: PAPER MONEY OF ESTATES OF SUMATRA <#a04>
** NEW BOOK: PRISONER-OF-WAR CAMP MONEY <#a05>
** BOOK REVIEW: CONFIDENT CARSON CITY COLLECTOR <#a06>
** DAVID JACOBSON WINS 2021 SHEKEL PRIZE <#a07>
** COINAGE OF 1888 DESIGNED TO AVOID SPECULATION <#a08>
** SYMPOSIUM: SS CENTRAL AMERICA DISCOVERIES <#a09>
** VIDEO: MARCH 2021 COLLECTORAMA SHOW <#a10>
** CHALLENGER WHISTLEBLOWER COMMEMORATIVE? <#a11>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 14, 2021 <#a12>
** MORE FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 14, 2021 <#a13>
** HARVEY STACK ON THE HOLLAND SALE <#a14>
** QUERY: COLUMBIA FARTHINGS <#a15>
** BOOKHUNTING IN VIET NAM <#a16>
** VOCABULARY TERM: CURATING <#a17>
** FRANCIS RICHARD KIMBALL (1859-1922) <#a18>
** HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 91 <#a19>
** MEDALLIC ARTIST HEIDI WASTWEET <#a20>
** BEP ARTIST LEN BUCKLEY TO SPEAK AT MPCFEST <#a21>
** FAROUK 1933 DOUBLE EAGLE RETURNS TO MARKET <#a22>
** MUENZEN GUT-LYNT ONLINE AUCTIONS <#a23>
** WORLD BANKNOTE AUCTIONS SALE 6 SELECTIONS <#a24>
** HERITAGE MARCH 2021 PARTRICK SALE SELECTIONS <#a25>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: MARCH 14, 2021 <#a26>
** THE VIGGBYHOLM HOARD OF VIKING SILVER <#a27>
** THE MARKSTETTEN COIN HOARD <#a28>
** 1879 $4 COILED HAIR STELLA  IN ALUMINUM <#a29>
** REBECCA LUKENS’S IRON MILL <#a30>
** INDIAN BANKNOTE EXHIBIT <#a31>
** BITCOIN BANKNOTES <#a32>
** LOOSE CHANGE: MARCH 14, 2021 <#a33>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 14, 2021

New subscribers this week include:
Nisipeanu Ionut Silvian, and
Ernie West.
Welcome aboard! We now have 6,614 subscribers.

This week we open with four new books, a book review, the Shekel prize winner, updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and more.

Other topics this week include the U.S. coinage of 1888, the S.S. Central America, notes from E-Sylum readers, the Pennypacker Holland sale,  Columbia Farthings, Heidi Wastweet, the Farouk 1933 Double Eagle, auction selections, medieval coin hoards, the 1879 aluminum Stella, Rebecca Lukens's iron mill, and Indian banknotes.

To learn more about Carson City coinage, the last Herodian monarch Agrippa II, U.S. Mint Director James Kimball, Boston dealer F. R. Kimball, John L. Roper II, the Ridgway medal,   the 1921-S Zerbe dollars, Poker and Numismatics, De La Rue Test Notes, Ricketts's Circus token,
and Bitcoin banknotes, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: GUIDE BOOK OF U.S. COINS, 75TH ED.

Here's the press release for the landmark 75th edition of the classic A Guide Book of United States Coins, which will be available in four different formats.
-Editor

Diamond Anniversary 75th-Edition RED BOOK
Will Be Available in Four Formats

The Diamond Anniversary 75th edition of the Guide Book of United States Coins (the hobby’s popular “Red Book”) will debut in four distinct formats on April 6, 2021. Each version features the same content, with 32,000 retail prices in multiple grades, historical information, 2,000 high-resolution full-color photographs, and guidance on collecting every type of American coin.

Soft and hardcover spiral bound editions

The convenient spiralbound softcover format was designed to lie flat when open on a desk or table. It measures 7.7" by 6" and is bound with a durable metal coil. “This is the most popular modern format of the Red Book,” said Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker. “The first spiralbound-softcover Red Book debuted in 1997, with the 50th edition. It was next available in 1999, and we’ve offered the format every year since then. Collectors like it because you can set your coins out in front of you, and have your Red Book lying flat, open to whatever page you want to study.”

The spiralbound hardcover has the convenience of a coil binding with the durability of a board cover. It measures 8.2" by 6" and, like the spiralbound softcover, opens to lie flat for reading alongside a coin collection. This format was first issued in 2008, with the 61st edition, and has been available (alongside other formats) for every edition since. “The spiralbound hardcover is the Red Book I keep on my desk for day-to-day use,” said Senior Editor Jeff Garrett.

Classic hardcover and Large Print editions

The classic red hardcover Red Book measures 7.7" by 5.5". The Diamond Anniversary edition features silver-foil title imprinting, instead of the usual gold-foil. Its back cover bears a silver-foil “75 Years” emblem. “The red hardcover is what many longtime collectors envision when they think of the Red Book,” said Editor Emeritus Kenneth Bressett. “In fact, hobbyists have considered the hardcover to be a collectible itself since at least the 1960s, when it started becoming popular to seek one of every edition.”

The newest format of the Red Book, the Large Print Edition, has been offered annually since the 63rd edition, published in 2010. This oversized version measures 11" by 9.25" and, in addition to being 45% larger in page size, features easy-to-read large-size print, and enlarged color photos. “The Large Print Edition has all the same content and information as the regular formats,” said Research Editor Q. David Bowers. “The coin values, the photographs, the mintage data and specifications, are all here.” The Large Print Edition is also spiralbound for ease of use.

All versions and formats of the 75th-edition Red Book can be pre-ordered online (including at
www.Whitman.com), and after April 6 will be available from booksellers and hobby shops nationwide.

#    #    #

About the Guide Book of United States Coins

A Guide Book of United States Coins is the world’s most popular annual retail price guide for U.S. coins, tokens, and other numismatic items. More than 25 million copies have been purchased since 1946, making it one of the best-selling nonfiction titles in the history of U.S. book publishing.

For the 75th edition, more than 100 professional coin dealers, scholars, and other numismatic experts contributed their knowledge under the direction of Senior Editor Jeff Garrett, Research Editor Q. David Bowers, and Editor Emeritus Kenneth Bressett.

The 75th edition of the Red Book is available online and at bookstores and hobby shops nationwide. Whitman Publishing offers a Large Print Edition and several formats of the regular edition (hardcover; spiralbound softcover; and spiralbound hardcover). Details about the forthcoming 1,504-page expanded Deluxe Edition, popularly known as MEGA RED™, will be available soon. For more information and to order, visit Whitman Publishing at
www.Whitman.com.

The cover of the three spiral-bound formats of the Diamond Anniversary 75th-edition Red Book features three significant dollar coins: a Sacagawea golden dollar; an American Silver Eagle with the classic Heraldic Eagle reverse by John Mercanti; and a Morgan silver dollar. The hardcover Diamond Anniversary Red Book has silver-foil imprinting instead of the usual gold-foil, and its back cover features a silver-foil Diamond Anniversary emblem.

#    #    #

A Guide Book of United States Coins, Diamond Anniversary 75th edition.

464 pages, full color.

By R.S. Yeoman; senior editor Jeff Garrett; research editor Q. David Bowers; editor emeritus Kenneth Bressett.

$15.95 spiralbound softcover. ISBN 0794848907.

$19.95 spiralbound hardcover. ISBN 079484894X.

$17.95 classic red hardcover. ISBN 0794848915.

$29.95 Large Print Edition. ISBN 0794848931.

NEW BOOK: AUSTRALIAN PRE-DECIMAL VARIETIES

There's a new edition of the Renniks book on Australian pre-decimal coin varieties by Ian McConnelly.  Here's the (short) description from the publisher's website.
-Editor

Renniks Australian Pre Decimal Coin Varieties 3rd Edition

$34.95

ISBN: 9780987105707

The latest edition in ‘Australian Pre – Decimal Coin Varieties’ is now available! Compiled, written and researched by popular Coin and Banknote Magazine contributor, Ian McConnelly, this book is a “must have” for all Australian Pre – Decimal variety collectors.

For more information, or to order, see:

Renniks Australian Pre Decimal Coin Varieties 3rd Edition

(https://renniks.com/shop/renniks-australian-pre-decimal-coin-varieties-3rd-edition-2/)

NEW BOOK: PAPER MONEY OF ESTATES OF SUMATRA

Ad Lansen has published a new book on the paper money of the estates of Sumatra.  Congratulations!  Here's the announcement.
-Editor

Now available, a new publication about the paper money used by the estates on Sumatra in  the period 1876-1906. A brief description is given of each cultivation company, with an overview of all known issues (the main share of which is in the National Numismatic Collection, DNB), and a detailed description of each note. The publication is completely bilingual English-Dutch, with transcription of the headings in Chinese, Malay and Tamil, and richly illustrated in color. The author, Ad Lansen, is already known for his previous publications, including Plantation Tokens of the Dutch East Indies.

This new book has 126 pages in a4 format, with hard cover, is self-published and can be ordered from the author: Haanderik 94, 3401 et IJsselstein (nl), e-mail:

a.j.lansen at hccnet.nl.  Price: € 29.50 + postage.

NEW BOOK: PRISONER-OF-WAR CAMP MONEY

An article by Hans-Ludwig Grabowski on the Geldscheine Online site discusses a new book on prisoner-of-war camp money.  Here's a Google translation.
-Editor

Bernhard Lübbers / Isabella von Treskow (eds.):

Captivity of War 1914–1919

Collective experience, cultural life, Regensburg reality

402 pages, black and white illustrations,

Format 15.5 cm x 23.2 cm, hardcover,

Regensburg 2019, published by Friedrich Pustet.

ISBN: 978-3-7917-3080-6.

Price: 39.95 euros.

After the prisoner of war newspaper "Le Pour et le Contre - Journal des Prisonniers de Regensburg", which was published in Regensburg during the First World War, was acquired for the holdings of the Regensburg State Library, this was the occasion for an extensive academic debate, not just up to then practically unexplored Regensburg camps, but on the subject of the German prisoner-of-war camps of the First World War in general.

As volume 2 in the series of cultural-historical research on captivity and internment in the First World War, the joint work presented here by various authors was published by Dr. phil. Lübbers and the holder of the chair for Romance Philology at the University of Regensburg, Dr. phil. von Treskow, was published.

Captivity became a mass phenomenon during World War I and part of 20th century history. On this occasion and based on the discovery of the prison newspaper of the Regensburg camp, the volume brings together 15 articles on the subject of prisoners of war in general (especially in Germany and with reference to France), on encounters between prisoners of various nations and origins, and on the prisoners' correspondence. The focus ranges from a local to an international perspective. Other neglected specifics such as camp fees, prisoner libraries, sound recordings made with prisoners and cultural camp life with theaters, music and camp newspapers are also discussed.

For the numismatist, the extremely interesting contribution by Prof. Dr. Hubert Emmerig from the University of Vienna on the camp money of the Regensburg prisoner of war camp in the First World War. As an introduction, the author naturally also addresses general questions about prisoner-of-war camp money. Why was there any storage fee at all? How did it come about? What types of camp money were there? Finally, using the example of the until then little known Regensburg prisoner of war camp, its monetary history and its use are documented.

All in all, a successful work well worth reading on a topic that has hitherto been neglected by historians, which also enables numismatists to gain knowledge and to think outside the box.

Everywhere in bookstores or directly via

www.verlag-pustet.de (E-mail: bestellung at pustet.de), Tel. 0941 / 92022-321, Fax 0941 / 92022-330.

To read the complete article, see:

Kriegsgefangenschaft 1914–1919

(https://www.geldscheine-online.com/post/kriegsgefangenschaft-1914-1919)

BOOK REVIEW: CONFIDENT CARSON CITY COLLECTOR

Len Augsburger published a review in the March 2021 E-Gobrecht (the online publication of the Liberty Seated Collectors Club) about Rusty Goe's new three-volume work on Carson City coinage.  With permission, we're republishing it here.  Thanks!
-Editor

Rusty Goe Publishes The Confident Carson City Collector

Following up on his previous books (The Mint on Carson Street, 2003, and James Crawford: Master of the Mint at Carson City, 2007), Rusty Goe is at it again, with a three-volume compendium on Carson City coinage, The Confident Carson City Collector. This is a massive work, weighing in at 2,500 pages, and we can be grateful it is split into multiple volumes. Let’s address the elephant in the room immediately – this is not a cheap set of books, and will run you around $300. But, if you intend to spend thousands of dollars on Carson City coinage (and you could easily spend a lot more), you will do well to allocate a few percent of your coin budget to education. Books play an important role, but do not form the whole picture – I highly recommend the ANA in-person grading course, and traveling to shows to compare coins face-to-face with other collectors can also be a learning experience.

Back to Carson City coinage. The three volumes cover the periods 1870-1874, 1875-1885, and 1889-1893. For each of the 111 issues in the Carson City series, Goe has created separate historical and numismatic overviews. Yes, that comes out to an average of 22 (8.5x11) pages dedicated to every single Carson City coin. The historical overviews weave together a narrative of the goings on in Carson City, including the Mint, and these are not repetitive, they tell a whole story. The numismatic sections combine market information, price history, and Rusty’s inside knowledge of where all the important coins are. I have no doubt that if you sat down with Rusty for an extended chat about Carson City coinage, he could recite the stories of hundred of distinct specimens, off the top of his head. This is perhaps the most important part of the book – anyone can look up population reports and auction appearances, but Rusty has poured out his firsthand experience with the Battle Born coll
 ection (the only complete CC set, besides the Eliasberg collection), and many other important coins.

Rusty Goe relies on the written record as well, and has clearly spent a lot of time looking at microfilm of the Carson Daily Appeal and other regional newspapers. We also see research from the National Archives and Nevada State Museum, in addition to little-known numismatic sources such as the Thomas Hall notebooks recently digitized by Newman Portal. While historical background can add much to the appreciate of numismatic objects, some collectors are more motivated by market concerns and how to value Carson City coins. That’s all here too, with extensive discussions about why certain coins sold at the level they did. For those investing substantial amounts in Carson City issues, this detail is invaluable, taking you into Rusty’s head as a coin dealer and providing hundreds of case studies into how to evaluate specific coins. I, for one, won’t be buying any more Carson City coins without first consulting this reference.

What’s not here? Goe provides only high-level information on die varieties, which is already well-covered by Bugert, Fortin, Winter, Brunner/Frost, Osburn/Cushing, Briggs, and other references. Goe could have easily included a fourth volume on this topic, but little could be added to the excellent work that is already out there. The recently discovered coinage dies at the Nevada State Museum also deserve a book, but these pieces are not yet fully excavated or curated. We can hope that this is not Rusty’s last book!

The 3-volume set is available through Heritage (http://ha.com/CarsonCity) for $279 plus tax and shipping, or through the Southgate Coins site (https://www.southgatecoins.com/books-supplies/the-confident-carson-city-coin-collector) for $299 plus $16 shipping. Rusty’s first book, The Mint on Carson Street, is now out of print and has risen in value since the time of publication – unusual for recent numismatic books. This current series will clearly be the definitive work for a long time, and I would not be surprised to see similar demand for this multi-volume set.

For more information on the Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), see:

http://www.lsccweb.org/

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: CONFIDENT CARSON CITY COIN COLLECTOR

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n05a04.html)

DAVID JACOBSON WINS 2021 SHEKEL PRIZE

Mel Wacks submitted this announcement of the winner of the AINA's 2021 Shekel Prize.
-Editor

David Jacobson, Associate of the Faculty of Oriental Studies Faculty, University of Oxford, has
won the Shekel Prize Medal, awarded by the American Israel Numismatic Association for
“Agrippa II, the Last of the Herods” as the best 2020 publication on Judaic/Israel numismatics.
Upon receiving the news, Jacobson indicated: “It is a great honour to be the recipient of this
prestigious award and I greatly appreciate the esteem of the members of the judging committee
of my endeavours.”

Jacobson has described his attraction to the subject: “What drew me to studying the coinage of
the last Herodian monarch Agrippa II, the last Herodian king in the Land of Israel were its
distinctive characteristics.  His coin issues are prolific, almost equalling the combined total of all
the previous Herodian kings and tetrarchs. Its other striking feature was the closeness of its
various coin designs to those of Roman coins.

“I quickly realised that the coinage of Agrippa II had hitherto not received adequate treatment and
so decided to investigate it myself. In my first study of this coinage, I was able to show that the
coin denominations reflect a move to integrate Agrippa II’s currency system with the Roman one
(Israel Numismatic Journal 19 (2016), 63-75). Delving deeper, I found that I could use the era
used on his coins to pinpoint the year of his death to 94/95 CE. Hitherto, the end of Agrippa’s
reign had remained an unsettled question, in contention among scholars.

“When I began to examine Agrippa II’s coins, it struck me that there was no proper biographical
study of that king, so I decided to write my own account, which has now been published under
the title Agrippa II: The Last of the Herods. This monograph reveals important new facts about
him, his relationship with his sister Berenice and the reasons for Agrippa's abandonment of
the Jews during and after the war against Rome (the First Revolt). These findings are in addition
to what I have managed to learn about Agrippa II and his times from his coins. I hope that those
interested in the Herodian kings and numismatics will wish to read my book and perhaps find answers to some of their questions.”

Herod Agrippa II never portrayed himself on his coins, but he did appear as
a teenager on extremely rare issues of his father Herod Agrippa I struck
40/41 C.E. in Caesarea Philippi. Courtesy of Fontanille Coins.

The other entries for the 2020 Shekel Prize were “Catalog of Paper Payment Tokens in Israel”
by Alexander Golberg, “Guide Book of Banknotes, Coins and Tokens of Israel” published by
Isranumis, and “Medals of the Jewish-American Hall of Fame 1969-2019” by Mel Wacks. The
winning book and the other nominees are all available on amazon. The distinguished panel of
judges includes Dr. Haim Gitler, Israel Museum Curator of Numismatics; David Hendin,
American Numismatic Society Vice President; Simcha Kuritzky, President of AINA; Dr. Ira
Rezak, AINA Board Member; and the committee chair, Mel Wacks, President Emeritus of AINA.
Further information about past Shekel prize winners and the American Israel Numismatic
Association are available at

www.theshekel.org.

COINAGE OF 1888 DESIGNED TO AVOID SPECULATION

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is U.S. Mint correspondence relating to the 1888 coinage. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.  Thanks.
-Editor

Coinage of 1888 Designed to Avoid Speculation

Recently added to Newman Portal is correspondence from the National Archives that reveals the rationale behind certain of the 1888 U.S. coinage. James Kimball, Mint Director, writes to Philadelphia Mint Superintendent Daniel M. Fox, ordering the additional coinage of 10,000 one-dollar gold pieces, 5,000 three-dollar gold pieces, and 10,000 three-cent nickels. Fox was instructed to put the coins directly into general circulation, so as to avoid speculation. Collectors by this time were already seeking out the scarce 1880s denominational silver coinage, as most of the Mint’s attention was diverted toward producing massive quantities of Morgan dollars under the directive of the 1878 Bland-Allison act. The 1888 coinage production, as directed by Kimball, succeeded in avoiding rarities, although the three issues mentioned here remain highly desirable to collectors today.

Image: 1888 $1 gold piece from the Newman collection, NGC MS63 CAC, ex Col. Green, Newman V (Heritage Auctions, November 2014, lot 7367, realized $1057.50).

Link to Mint Director Kimball correspondence on April 11, 1888 on Newman Portal:

https://archive.org/details/coinsmallgoldtoavoidspeculation18880411/mode/2up

Link to National Archives content on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/Library/Archives?searchLetter=U

SYMPOSIUM: SS CENTRAL AMERICA DISCOVERIES

One of the headline presentations at the upcoming NNP Symposium is Bob Evans' talk on some of the unusual aspects of the SS Central America treasure.  Here's the press release.
-Editor

Hear “Ship of Gold” Bell Toll During
Presentation By Bob Evans, March 21

Scientist Evans will show items from the legendary SS Central America during free online Newman Numismatic Portal Symposium

A sound only a few have heard since 1857 will be used to signal the start of a free online presentation as part of a Newman Numismatic Portal Symposium (
www.NNPsymposium.org) at 1 pm Eastern on Sunday, March 21, 2021. It is the ringing of the ship’s bell recovered from the fabled “Ship of Gold,” the SS Central America, that sank in 1857 while carrying crew, passengers, and tons of California Gold Rush-era treasures.

Scientist and historian Bob Evans, who was a key member on each of the recovery expeditions starting in the late 1980s, will present an illustrated talk entitled, “SS Central America, Ship of Gold: Unusual Discoveries, Wonders, and Mysteries.” He will open his symposium session with a recording of the 268-pound bronze bell that was recovered from the Atlantic Ocean floor and has been in secure storage for more than three decades.

“Of course, in addition to the thousands of retrieved numismatic items such as gold and silver coins, courageous miner’s gold dust and assayers’ ingots, the SS Central America was a time capsule of life during the California Gold Rush with fascinating personal items that were recovered. There are examples of gold jewelry showing the culture of San Francisco and pioneer Gold Rush society of the time, rubber and tortoise shell combs, steel pen nibs and quills, and other things that illustrate life during a transition to the Industrial Revolution,” explained Evans, a consultant to California Gold Marketing Group, owner of the treasure.

“The SS Central America is the greatest American treasure ever found. Bob’s symposium will publicly reveal for the first time some of the more than 1,000 non-numismatic recovered items that now are being conserved and cataloged in Florida by Collectibles Authentication Guaranty (www.CAGcertified.com), a sister-company of Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (www.NGCcoin.com),” said Dwight Manley, Managing Partner of the California Gold Market Group. “In the coming months, we’ll be revealing more information.”

The SS Central America sank 7,200 feet under the surface of the Atlantic Ocean 150 miles off the North Carolina coast during a hurricane on September 12, 1857. She was on a voyage from Panama to New York carrying tons of California Gold Rush coins, ingots, and gold dust from the San Francisco and Northern California area. The tragedy took the lives of 425 of the ship’s 578 passengers and crew members, and the loss of the gold cargo was a major factor in the economically devastating financial panic of 1857 in the United States.

Free registration for the NNP Symposium can be done online at
www.NNPsymposium.org, and registrants will receive Zoom links before the event. A full schedule of events is posted at

www.NNPsymposium.org/schedule.

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 GUIDE BOOK of CONTINENTAL CURRENCY and COINS:
Q. David Bowers’s latest volume is nearly sold out. A richly illustrated 288-page numismatic study and guide to collecting, with pricing trends in multiple grades. Order your copy for $19.95 while the first print run lasts: online
at
Whitman.com
, or call 1-800-546-2995.

VIDEO: MARCH 2021 COLLECTORAMA SHOW

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's one on the recent Collectorama show in Lakeland, Florida.
-Editor

Collectorama Show Features Coins, Currency & Collectibles During COVID Crisis 2021.

VIDEO: 5:04.

Edward Kuszmar, President, Collectorama Coin & Currency Show,

David Lisot, Interviewer, CoinTelevision.com.

February 18, 2021.

During the last year many larger coin conventions have been cancelled due to the COVID Pandemic. Edward Kuszmar was able to satisfy government bureaucracies and collector concerns by holding the 70th Collectorama Coin & Currency Show in Lakeland, Florida while the Corona Virus was still a threat. Ed explains what precautions were taken and why this convention is different from a normal coin show.

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://youtu.be/DyIN3egsjSg

CHALLENGER WHISTLEBLOWER COMMEMORATIVE?

Vic Mason of Mamaroneck, NY submitted this suggestion for the U.S. Mint.  Thanks.
-Editor

This note is motivated by the obituary column in Wednesday’s New York Times reporting the passing, at 83, of Allan J. McDonald, one of the engineers at Morton Thiokol who tried to stop the 28 January 1986 launch of the Challenger space shuttle, which broke apart 73 seconds after liftoff, killing teacher Christa McAuliffe and six other astronauts. The story is timely now that the United States Mint is preparing, 35 years later, to issue the 2021 Christa McAuliffe Commemorative Silver Dollar in her honor as the first participant in the United States National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Teacher in Space program.

The Challenger launch, from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, was coincidentally scheduled for the same day that President Ronald Reagan was to deliver his State of the Union address. Mr. Reagan had planned to mark the fact that Ms. McAuliffe would be the first American civilian astronaut in space, and NASA was keen to keep to the launch schedule. But the night before, the Morton Thiokol team would not agree to approve the launch because, based on previous experience, they feared that the severe cold that night – 18 degrees Fahrenheit – would cause the rubber O-ring gaskets on the booster rockets to stiffen, thereby likely causing a fuel leak and the potential explosion and destruction of the rocket.

In a recent Netflix documentary, “Challenger: The Final Flight,” Mr. McDonald pointed out that, under normal procedure, the engineers “were always challenged to prove it was safe to launch.” But this time, wrote obit columnist Clay Risen, “NASA was demanding that the Morton Thiokol engineering team prove that the mission ‘would fail, and we couldn’t do that.’ ”

President Reagan set up a prestigious commission to investigate the disaster, headed by Secretary of State William P. Rogers and including astronauts Neil Armstrong and Sally Ride. “The president had told Mr. Rogers to make sure that NASA looked good,” wrote Clay Risen. When NASA administrators and company leaders tried to cover up the reasons for the disaster, Mr. McDonald and another Morton Thiokol engineer, Roger Boisjoly, blew the whistle on them.

At that key moment in the hearings, Mr. McDonald stood up and contradicted the testimony to the commission of his company superiors, leading Secretary Rogers to clear the room. Wrote Mr. Risen: “...Ms. Ride came over and hugged Mr. McDonald. Both of them had tears in their eyes... The commission’s final report criticized both the design of the rockets and NASA’s decision to ignore the engineers’ concerns.”

Morton Thiokol would subsequently punish McDonald and Boisjoly, who had provided the commission with internal company documents. When Congressman (now Senator) Edward Markey of Massachusetts heard of their treatment, he warned that the company would be frozen out of all future federal contracts unless the men were reinstated. Mr. McDonald was then promoted to vice-president in charge of redesigning boosters. (Mr. Boisjoly left the company.) Mr. McDonald’s superiors never forgave him for his “disloyalty,” but in later years he went on the lecture circuit, speaking about corporate ethics and teaming up with academic experts on running leadership training seminars.

Mr. McDonald was born in Cody, Wyoming, and grew up in Billings, Montana, where US Mint Director David Ryder also is from. Mr. McDonald died last Saturday in Ogden, Utah.

To read the complete article, see:

Allan McDonald Dies at 83; Tried to Stop the Challenger Launch

(https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/09/us/allan-mcdonald-dead.html)

For more information on the Christa McAuliffe Silver Dollar, see:

Christa McAuliffe Silver Dollar

(https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/commemorative-coins/christa-mcauliffe)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 14, 2021

 More on the 1455 Calaisienne Medal of Charles VII

Last week we discussed a great medal offered in the upcoming Lugdunum GmbH Spring sale.  An email from Dr. Jonas Flueck got caught in my spam folder; sorry - here's a great photo and additional information on the medal.  See the earlier article for a link to the video.
-Editor

FRANCE, KINGDOM. Charles VII, 1422-1461. Large silver medal 1455 (Chronogram), unsigned, commemorating the expulsion of the English and the end of the Hundred Years’ war. 69 mm; 60.95 gr. Obverse: The King on horseback, armed from head to foot and with closed visor. Both he and his horse bear the blazon of France he has a drawn sword in his hand. Reverse: The King in majesty holding the sceptre and the sword.  References: Trésors de Numismatique et de Glyptique pl. II, 2; Mazerolle, T. 3, 5; Vallet de Viriville 5; Collection Fillon 138 (this specimen); Collection Engel-Gros 100 (this specimen).

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

THE 1455 CALAISIENNE MEDAL OF CHARLES VII

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n10a19.html)

 More on the Romano Worthy Hoard
Pete Smith writes:

"I checked my copy of American Coin Treasures and Hoards by Q. David Bowers. On page 388 is a discussion of Romano's hoard of 1795 half dollars and proof 1878 trade dollars. There is no mention of a hoard of large cents or counterstamped coins.

"A few years back I did extensive research on Romno as I was preparing an exhibit of the Worthy Coin anniversary medals. I did not discover any reference to another hoard."

Denis Loring writes:

"Worthy Coin was run first by Corrado Romano, then jointly with his son Don, who eventually took over.  They had a huge stock, including quantities of large cents by date.  That's probably the "hoard" mentioned on the holder.  J. J. Teaparty, run by Ed Leventhal,  was right around the corner.

"To give you an idea of Worthy's stock, I once watched Corrado fill a mail order for a proof 3c nickel by carefully unrolling a paper-wrapped group of 50 coins, all 3c N proofs, picking one, and rewrapping the other 49."

Thanks.  Here's the coin that prompted Bob Merchant's query.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 7, 2021 : Query: Romano Worthy Hoard

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n10a08.html)

 Liberty Head Nickel Hub Varieties

1883-1902 hub, 1901-1913 hub

Dave Lange writes:

"The two-tailed Liberty Head Nickel brockage is datable to 1901 or later by use of the new reverse hub introduced that year. Most notably, the drooping leaf at the left side of the wreath is close to the top of the Roman V, while the old hub of 1883 shows it at a greater distance. The years 1901-02 were transitional, with reverse dies from either hub being seen. I'm attaching photos of the two hubs from NGC's VarietyPlus website.

"Speaking of NGC, I immediately recognized the photographic style used for the photo of an 1897 Morgan Dollar in Michael Merrill's item about the bag tag. Sure enough, it's from NGC's Coin Explorer website:"

Thanks. Nice photos! I wasn't aware of that detail.
Reader Brian Schneider agrees.

I confirmed with Michael Merrill that NGC was indeed the source of the dollar photo.  Great eye!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

TWO-TAILED LIBERTY NICKEL BROCKAGE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n10a30.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 7, 2021 : 1897 Dollar Mint Bag Tag

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n10a08.html)

 1855 Colored Children Ridgway Medal
John Sallay writes:

"John Kraljevich  mentioned the New York Manumission Society’s African Free School and that reminded me of a short piece I wrote for the MCA Advisory back in 2006 (October 2006, pp. 4-6). The article was about a medal given by the New York Society for the Promotion of Education Among Colored Children. While these two societies were not directly related (I don’t think, anyway) I believe that the membership overlapped considerably, and their objectives were closely aligned."

Great medal!  Thanks.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

ORELL COLORED SCHOOL MEDAL

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n10a27.html)

 The International Organization of Wooden Money Collectors

IOWMC Vice President Bob Gabriel writes:

"The International Organization of Wooden Money Collectors (IOWMC) in its 57th year is one of only three Wooden Money Clubs left in the USA. In this month’s newsletter “Bunyan's Chips” contains articles highlighting official wood issues from Lockport, Lyndon & Monee and Metropolis (home of Superman) Illinois. Monthly issues contain a Presidents message, Editor’s report and member advertisements buying, selling and trading of wooden money. There is also a monthly mail bid run by the club for its members, these auctions allow members to purchase wood at below market prices in an effort to keep the wonderful world of wooden money alive. Each month’s newsletter is also jam packed with articles relating to Wooden Money.

For information, please go to the club’s website

http://www.woodenmoney.org or contact me at

bgabrielone at yahoo.com for a sample newsletter or membership application."

 Query: Numismatic News Coin Bag
Jeremy Schneider writes:

"I've got a challenge that the readers may be able to help me out with.
I recently purchased a large collection (200+) of old bank bags, and one that I found in the lot was this- marked "Numismatic News Weekly, Iola. ,Wi 1000 PCS".  I'm curious if this would have been some sort of give away, or had another purpose?  Would the Mint have sent a bag of coins to the magazine?  Any help cracking this mystery would be appreciated!"

Coin bags are a fun collectible - there are many different varieties issued by mints and banks alike.  For assistance I reached out to longtime Krause Publications executive Clifford Mishler.
-Editor

Clifford Mishler writes:

"It is probably a Fed/Mint bag of 1971-D Lincolns that was shipped to us by a coin wholesaler.
Back in the early 1970s we offered a subscription promotion . . . the premium offered was a complete set of Lincoln Memorial cents in holder (1959-1973?) . . . which would have been the 15th anniversary. We offered a similar promotional program 10 years later for the 25th anniversary (1959-1983). "

“We typically acquired our bags of promotional coins from Julian Jarvis of Greencastle, Indiana, or Virgil Marshall III of Wymore, Nebraska, either of whom may have been the originator of the shipment who stenciled our address on the bag.”

Thanks!
-Editor

 Whitman Encyclopedia of Obsolete Paper Money Plans

Regarding the Whitman Encyclopedia of Obsolete Paper Money
Steve Mengler of
Belle Plaine, IA writes:

"I was wondering if you were aware of any future publication dates for books in this series after Volume 8.  While I have been accumulating the earlier volumes, I am hoping that this series will continue to cover the Midwest states, particularly Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan."

I reached out the the publisher and received some good news.
-Editor

Dennis Tucker of Whitman Publishing writes:

"Yes, we’re working on the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest states and territories now --- volume 9 (New Jersey and Pennsylvania), volumes 10 through 12 (New York, books I, II, and III), volume 13 (Illinois and Indiana), volume 14 (Michigan and Ohio), and volume 15 (California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Utah, and Wisconsin).

"These books are so research- and labor-intensive that I’m hesitant to give firm publication dates at this point."

 More on the 1921-S Zerbe Dollars