The E-Sylum v24n13 March 28, 2021

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Mar 28 16:19:33 PDT 2021

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 24, Number 13, March 28, 2021
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 28, 2021 <#a01>
** COLONIAL COIN COLLECTORS CLUB PUBLICATIONS <#a02>
** KENNY SAMMUT NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: CHECK LIST AND RECORD BOOK <#a04>
** QDB: JOURNEYS WITH AMERICA’S $10 GOLD COINS <#a05>
** NNP ADDS INTERNATIONAL NUMISMATIC COUNCIL <#a06>
** NEW CONTINENTAL DOLLAR EVIDENCE EMERGES <#a07>
** MORE ON THE 1785 CONTINENTAL DOLLAR SALE <#a08>
** MORE ON COLONIAL PAPER MONEY ILLUSTRATIONS  <#a09>
** THE NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR MEDAL PROCESS SET <#a10>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 28, 2021 <#a11>
** THE LOUVRE COLLECTION ONLINE  <#a12>
** VOCABULARY TERM: CLAD, CLADDING <#a13>
** HARRY JASON LELANDE (1871-1965) <#a14>
** HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 92 <#a15>
** FUND DRIVE: GET ABE & BEN TO ROSEMONT <#a16>
** SAN DIEGO SPEAKERS KORCHNAK AND FANNING <#a17>
** RESEARCH USING IMAGING AND GOOGLE TRANSLATE <#a18>
** ANS COIN PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS <#a19>
** RECORD PRICE FOR 1822 HALF EAGLE <#a20>
** RECORD PRICE FOR 1797 HALF DOLLAR <#a21>
** RECORD PRICE FOR 1937 EDWARD VIII 5 POUNDS <#a22>
** GOLD PLATE MONEY FROM FEUDAL JAPAN <#a23>
** HERITAGE APRIL 2021 SALE FEATURES U.S. ERROR  <#a24>
** ENGELHARD ERROR BARS <#a25>
** ANCIENT GREEK COINS DISCOVERED IN ROMANIA <#a26>
** AINA COL. DAVID "MICKEY" MARCUS MEDAL <#a27>
** WESTERBORK CENTRAL REFUGEE CAMP SCRIP <#a28>
** BANK OF ENGLAND £50 ALAN TURING BANKNOTE <#a29>
** £10 NOTE MISSING QUEEN'S FACE <#a30>
** BANK OF ENGLAND £50 NOTE TEXTURE FEATURES <#a31>
** VIRTUAL MARKET ENJOYS ASTONISHING SUCCESS <#a32>
** PERSONAL PHOTO ORGANIZERS <#a33>
** PAUL MANSHIP EXHIBIT <#a34>
** THE 500-POUND POMADED PENNY PILE <#a35>
** FEATURED WEB SITE: FIDEM <#a36>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 28, 2021

New subscribers this week include:
Aaron Curry.
Welcome aboard! We now have 6,638 subscribers.

This week we open with two numismatic literature sales offerings, one new book, updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and more.

Other topics this week include the Continental Dollar, process medal sets, cladding, translation and photography tips, record coin prices, upcoming auction sales, errors, refugee camp scrip, the Alan Turing banknote, new virtual markets, Mickey Marcus and Paul Manship.

To learn more about colonial coinage and paper money, the International Numismatic Council, Medallic Art Co., Neziah Wright, Richard Driehaus, a mudlark find, the Louvre numismatic holdings, FIDEM, gold obans,
Oily American Coppers, and explosion bonding, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

COLONIAL COIN COLLECTORS CLUB PUBLICATIONS

The Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4) has rolled out a nice update to the Publications page on their website.  It's a great one-stop shop for many of the best works published on the topic of U.S. colonial-era coinage.
Check it out.
-Editor

To visit the C4 Publications page, see:

https://colonialcoins.org/publications/

KENNY SAMMUT NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE

Kenny Sammut writes:

"I am having a 10 day sale on all numismatic books (very eclectic group of books) and five hundred of my coin, currency, and exonumia listings. Up to 25% off! You are also welcome to make fair offers on any listing you see. I do combine ship to save you money.

"International buyers - I do ship internationally using eBay's Global Shipping Program.

"Please use the category links on the left side of the store to more easily navigate the listings. I also welcome you to save me as a seller as I continually purchase collections and add new listings frequently.

"I recently purchased approximately 100 non-numismatic collecting books on a number of topics. Those books are also on sale."

Here's a screenshot of some of the literature offerings.  Have a look for yourself.
-Editor

To visit Kenny's eBay store, see:

https://www.ebay.com/str/numismaticswithkenny

NEW BOOK: CHECK LIST AND RECORD BOOK

Whitman has published a new edition of their Check List and Record Book of United States and Canadian Coins.
-Editor

Whitman Publishing announces the release of the newly updated and expanded Check List and Record Book of United States and Canadian Coins, a resource to help hobbyists keep track of their collections. The 304-page softcover book is available from booksellers and hobby shops nationwide, as well as online (including at www.Whitman.com), for $9.95.

The Check List and Record Book of United States and Canadian Coins is a convenient way to keep track of a coin collection. Its 6 x 9–inch size packs a large amount of information into a handy resource that can be carried in a bag or briefcase, or stored in a safe deposit box. Collectors take the book to coin shops and conventions while they’re on the hunt for new numismatic acquisitions, checking each box as they add a coin or upgrade to a better specimen. The book also has room to write notes on when and where specific coins were bought, their grades, pricing, and any other information the collector wants to record.

The Check List and Record Book features actual-size illustrations of each coin type, mintage records for circulation-strike and Proof coins, and coin-by-coin listings of every date and mint. The coins covered include U.S. half cents through gold double eagles, 1790s to date; classic and modern commemorative coins; government-issued commemorative sets; Proof sets and Mint sets; Canadian coins from the 1850s to date; and silver, gold, platinum, and palladium bullion coins. There are sections to keep track of collections of Hard Times tokens; Civil War tokens; other tokens and medals; Hawaiian coins; Puerto Rican coins; coins struck for the Philippines under U.S. sovereignty; misstrikes and error coins; and American Arts gold medallions. The Canadian chapters cover large cents; small cents; five-cent pieces and other circulating denominations; silver and modern coins; commemorative issues; dollar coins; and bullion.

Professional numismatists, appraisers, coin dealers, and experienced collectors know the importance of keeping an accurate inventory. Beth Deisher devotes an entire chapter to the subject in her award-winning book Cash In Your Coins: Selling the Rare Coins You’ve Inherited. Tom Bilotta, in Collecting Coins in Retirement: An Action Guide and Estate Advice for Hobbyists and Their Families, also stresses the value of maintaining accurate records.

“The Check List and Record Book helps you organize and build a better collection,” said Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker. “It can also be useful for tax and insurance purposes, and as a valuable record for your children and grandchildren to understand and appreciate your coins.”

The new Check List and Record Book covers the United States Mint and the Royal Canadian Mint up through 2021, with extra space to keep track of later coins.

#    #    #

Check List and Record Book of United States and Canadian Coins

ISBN 0794849040

Softcover, 6 x 9 inches, 304 pages. Retail $9.95 U.S.

https://whitman.com/check-list-and-record-book-of-united-states-and-canadian-coins/

QDB: JOURNEYS WITH AMERICA’S $10 GOLD COINS

Here's another article by Dave Bowers, this time on the new edition of his book on gold eagles.
-Editor

The second edition of the Guide Book of Gold Eagle Coins, by Q. David Bowers, debuted this month (March 2021). The 448-page book is available from bookstores and hobby shops and online (including at Whitman.com) for $29.95. Here, Bowers discusses the book and his research in American gold coins.

Highways and Side Journeys With America’s $10 Gold Coins

by Q. David Bowers

My research for the Guide Book of Gold Eagle Coins began in the 1950s—although I did not know it at the time. As a young teenager I studied and read all I could about rare coins. By 1954 I had a good working library and was keeping notes of interesting things I learned.

Fast-forward to adulthood, a highly successful rare-coin business, and other activities and pleasures. One of my greatest satisfactions continues to be research followed by writing on subjects from esoteric to popular.

My book on $10 gold eagles includes the basic foundation of information you expect to find in a volume in Whitman Publishing’s Bowers Series. Beyond that you can take many side excursions to explore mints and minting of days gone by, to acquaint yourself with great collectors and collections of the past, and to tap into many anecdotes, trivia, and stories that, I hope, will add to the charm of any $10 gold coin in your collection.

You will learn why a political movement that started in the West in the 1870s is directly responsible for countless hundreds of thousands of About Uncirculated and Mint State eagles being available to collectors today—one of the most remarkable unintended consequences in numismatics. You will also learn a lot about the market and the factors that influence change in coin values.

By the time you read the last page I believe you will be as familiar with gold eagles as is someone who has spent years in rare coins. Enjoy the journey, and your collection!

#   #   #

Q. David Bowers has been in the rare-coin business since 1953, including in recent years as a founder of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. He is a past president of the American Numismatic Association, a trustee emeritus of the New Hampshire Historical Society, and a fellow of the American Antiquarian Society. He has been a key numismatic consultant to the Smithsonian Institution since the 1960s, and has advised the United States Mint and Treasury Department. The author of more than 60 books including many standard references, he serves as numismatic director of Whitman Publishing, and is senior editor of Mega Red, the expanded edition of the Guide Book of United States Coins.

#   #   #

A Guide Book of Gold Eagle Coins, 2nd edition.

By Q. David Bowers; foreword by Douglas Winter.

ISBN 0794848370.

Softcover, 6 x 9 inches, 448 pages, full color.

Retail $29.95 U.S.

https://whitman.com/a-guide-book-of-gold-eagles-2nd-edition/

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: GUIDE BOOK OF GOLD EAGLE COINS, 2ND

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n06a03.html)

NNP ADDS INTERNATIONAL NUMISMATIC COUNCIL

The latest additions to the Newman Numismatic Portal are the publications of the International Numismatic Council (INC). Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Newman Portal Digitizes International Numismatic Council Publications

With the permission of the International Numismatic Council (INC), Newman Portal has digitized the publications of this longstanding academic initiative. The first INC Congress was held in 1891 and has been conducted periodically ever since, currently at 6-year intervals. The organization’s charter is “to promote numismatics and related disciplines by facilitating cooperation among individuals and institutions in the field of numismatics and related disciplines.” Publications include the Congress Proceedings and the Survey of Numismatic Research, also published every six years, which serves as a bibliography of the most significant recent numismatic research. INC also issued Compte Rendu beginning in 1951, an annual update with organization news and a number of research articles, such as John Kleeberg’s “Treasure Trove Law in the United States” (2006).

An anomaly in the INC Proceedings is the collected papers for the 1967 Congress (no. VII, held in Copenhagen). ANS Librarian David Hill remarked to Len Augsburger on February 11 “By the way, we seem to lack INC #7 (1967) Copenhagen, which I can’t believe.” After considerable investigation, the answer was revealed in the October 4, 1967 issue of Coin World, which reported “Owing to the prohibitive cost of publishing the proceedings in full, it has been decided that the papers will be published by the normal numismatic journals of those countries in whose language the papers were read.” Eric Newman’s paper for this Congress, “Lessons in Modern Day Counterfeiting,” appeared in the November 1967 Numismatist.

Newman Portal acknowledges Michael Alram (INC President), François de Callataÿ (INC Secretary), Ute Wartenberg Kagan (ANS President), David Hill (ANS Librarian), and Lara Jacobs (Internet Archive) for their assistance with this project.

Link to International Numismatic Council (INC) Proceedings on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/533904

Link to Survey of Numismatic Research on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/541672

Link to Compte Rendu on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/541673

NEW CONTINENTAL DOLLAR EVIDENCE EMERGES

Here's a VERY interesting addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal which
relates to our recent discussions of the Continental dollar.
Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

New Continental Dollar Evidence Emerges

Nothing brings out new evidence more effectively than publishing one’s research, and a flurry of publications in the last few years is no doubt responsible for recent discoveries regarding the Continental Dollar, heretofore mostly unpublished. Recent writers on the subject include John Kleeberg (Journal of American Numismatics, June 2018), Catherine Eagleton (Numismatic Chronicle, 2014), Erik Goldstein and David McCarthy (The Numismatist, January and July 2018), and Maureen Levine and Eric Newman (The Numismatist, July 2014), with authors variously positing American or European origins. Lianna Spurrier has capably compiled the latest findings, drawn from historical and archaeological methods, into a video entitled King to Coins: New Origins of Continental Currency.

Image: Extract from Solomon Drowne letter of July 13, 1776, apparently referencing the Continental Dollar

Link to King to Coins: New Origins of Continental Currency on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/597261

MORE ON THE 1785 CONTINENTAL DOLLAR SALE

Last week Julia Casey described some early mentions of U.S. colonial paper money and a Continental Dollar coin in German publications. She asked for reader assistance with translation.
-Editor

Ralf Böpple writes:

"With regard to the listing of the Continental dollar, the Google translation is correct, unfortunately I have no clue what "pr. 5 fl." could refer to. "fl." of course is usually the abbreviation of Gulden, but this makes little sense here. Maybe it's a description, known to the contemporary readers, stating that the coin is not made of pure tin, but an alloy (i.e., pewter)?"

Martin Purdy of New Zealand writes:

"Here's my best shot at this, though mileage may vary, as they say:

Fl is an abbreviation for florin, which was an alternative name for the Gulden, a unit of account in Bavaria.  Wikipedia says the gulden was worth 5/12 of a Conventionsthaler from the 1750s to 1837, which covers the date of the catalogue.  5 gulden would thus be 25/12 or just over 2 Conventionsthaler.  So I read this as meaning the Continental dollar was struck in tin (could cover other similar alloys, e.g. pewter), with a unit value of 2 thalers.  At a pinch it could mean they were struck at a cost of 2 thalers each, but that sounds expensive, plus what would that imply?  That they were made in Germany?  It probably raises more questions than it answers but hopefully it will add at least something to the story.

I also thought "geschlagen" might have doubled as an older variant of "angeschlagen" (estimated), and that 5 fl. was the estimated sale price, but a text search of the whole catalogue doesn't bring up any comparable references, so at this stage I'd rule that out."

Peter Jones writes:

"In Bavaria the Gulden (also called Florin) was a unit of account according to Wiki.
It was worth 60 Kreuzer.
60 Kreuzer or one gulden was 0.276 oz actual silver weight, and 5 gulden or florins were 1.38 ounces actual silver weight.
Pr.  5 fl. could mean preis 5 florins (price 5 florins).

"This was then around 7 shillings and sixpence.
But Sarah Banks' advertisement said only 6 pence (English) each!
The period is too far from the 5 to be interpreted as 0.5 florins (around 9 pence English), and I cannot imagine advertising using decimal points in 1785.

"I also noted that below the listing was unbekannte which means "unknown".   This makes me wonder whether this is really an advert to sell the piece at all, or just a listing."

Ralf Böpple adds:

"I don't think the "pr. 5 fl." is any indication of a price. The whole description reads "Münze von Zinn pr. 5 fl. geschlagen", which means "Coin coined of 'tin pr. 5 fl.'", which is why I think our unknown abbreviation is referring to a closer specification of the type of tin (or alloy) that was used.
Unfortunately, the abbreviation 'pr.' is not used anywhere else in the whole catalog.

"The book as a whole is a list of the coins in the collection of one Mr. von Seuffenheld, to be sold in Nuremberg. Apparently, the whole collection was for sale, but no prices and no conditions of the sale are mentioned. There are some coins from Latin America, dutifully listed under Spain, as they were Spanish colonial issues. The only non-European non-Colonial coin is our Continental dollar, listed last in the "miscellaneous" section, right above the very last two entries, which are unknown items ("Unbekannt"). That much about the importance given to this numismatic object in the context of the whole list!

"The collection is formed of mostly thaler-sized coins of the 16th-18th century (rather "recent" at the time of the sale, I guess). I would assume that the collector and seller, Mr. von Seufferheld, was a merchant or a well-connected businessman in order to be able to form such a vast and international collection. Given that there is a Spanish Colonial 8 Reales dated as late as 1773 included in the list, I don't think it is beyond any possibility that a Continental dollar of 1776 coming from overseas could have found its way into the von Seufferheld collection as well. It held no monetary value, being made of tin, but it was attractive enough as a curiosity from the New World for a traveller to bring back from a trip to the newly independent United States."

Martin adds:

"I've had one reply from my translators' group so far, suggesting it means "struck for 5 fl. each", which is linguistically plausible, at least. I don't know the ratio between the Conventionsthaler and US/Spanish dollar at the time, but that sounds like a healthy premium over face. And it does start to sound like they were sold as medals/souvenirs/patterns (in Germany?) at that point."

Maureen Levine writes:

"Julia's discovery of the Continental Dollar in a 1785 numismatic auction catalog is fascinating!

"Also, the inclusion of my name in Dave Bowers' "My Journey" blog article was an error, and I have requested its correction. I have never considered the Continental Dollars to be anything but coinage."

Thanks, everyone!  Lots to digest.   We know one example of the Continental Dollar in tin or pewter made its way to a German collection by 1785.  We don't know where it came from.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

CONTINENTAL DOLLAR OFFERED FOR SALE IN 1785

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n12a10.html)

QDB: MY JOURNEY IN CONTINENTAL CURRENCY

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n12a06.html)

MORE ON COLONIAL PAPER MONEY ILLUSTRATIONS

Readers also had comments about Julia's find of illustrations of Continental paper money in a 1777 German publication. Ralf Böpple provided these translations.  Thank you!
-Editor

Deutsches Museum:

Quoting a letter dated January 1st, 1777, from a camp next to Fort Knyphausen, pp. 171, second paragraph:

“Herewith I add for you – as compensation for the postal charges – a piece of paper money. In Philadelphia and all provinces, which are not occupied by us, it is worth 1/2 Spanish dollar. I also own a 7-thaler-piece, on which the United American States are not mentioned.”

Personal note: no idea if there was an issue of this paper money denominated “7 dollars”. I haven’t investigated into the source of this printing, but if it is a hand written letter, could it be that the original read “1/7”, and that the writer was referring to a piece of paper money reading “one seventh of a dollar”?

Deutsche Zeitung:

It’s the paragraph above the pictures (I will do my best to follow the somewhat flowery original tone of this publication):

“Look now! We reprint here two little pictures because it has been becoming a trend lately; Those who have frequent contact with the colonies may find it a useful curiosity. They represent the two sides of a piece of paper money which is now circulating in America, which is worth about 21 kreutzer in our money. The number 73387 and the signature are written in red ink, everything else is printed the way you see it here. You will realize that the pieces are not really easy to copy, and since you do not need a balance for this kind of money, this is twice as important to make falsification difficult.”

Erik Goldstein,
Senior Curator of Mechanical Arts & Numismatics at
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation writes:

"This find from Julia Casey is very interesting. What does it say that a 17 Feb 1776 $1/2 bill, serial numbered towards the end of the 600,000 sequence, existed in time to make it to Germany for publication in 1777?  Could this suggest that all 600,000 bills of each of the four denominations were printed, signed and released into circulation very soon after the date authorizing their issue?  Pretty cool and significant."

Interesting observation.  But without specific contemporary documentation we may never know in what order the numbered notes were dispersed.  If the entire print run was immediately numbered and signed, perhaps the last notes printed ended up at the top of the pile, making the higher-numbered ones among the first to be circulated. -Editor

Erik adds:

"I think it was/is commonly believed that these 17 Feb 76 fractional notes, issued in huge numbers, were printed & signed over many months, if not a few years (at least until inflation exploded).  I recall Joe Lasser telling me that some of the signatories he’d seen on them weren’t authorized by Congress to sign the bills until much later than the date of issue."

Julia Casey writes:

"Many thanks to all who replied!  I greatly appreciate the assistance and comments."

Thanks, everyone!  These are interesting discoveries, and who knows what other gems are waiting to be found as more and more publications get digitized and made available to researchers.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

1777 GERMAN ILLUSTRATIONS OF COLONIAL PAPER

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n12a11.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 1946–2021: CELEBRATING 75 YEARS of the RED BOOK.
The 75th edition of the Guide Book of United States Coins will release next week, April 7, 2021. Preorder now to reserve your copy—online
at
Whitman.com
, or call 1-800-546-2995.

THE NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR MEDAL PROCESS SET

Harry Waterson writes:

"As to the 1964 NYWF medal, may I direct you to The MCA Advisory?

"New York City - A Tercentennial of Medals; The MCA Advisory, Quarterly Journal of The Medal Collectors of America Vol. 23, Nos. 1&2, Medal Collectors of America, Boston, MA March/June Issue, Spring/Summer 2020 pp57-58."

"Additionally I have attached the little leaflet that accompanied each boxed medal. While there is no mention of process series for sale, process was on the mind of the leaflet writer as he went into it in some detail."

Harry also included links to Dick Johnson's databank entry on Anthony de Francisci, the medal's designer, and an earlier E-Sylum article on the topic.  Thanks!
-Editor

Harry adds:

"Dick Johnson’s entry for de Francisci catalogs at least 6 different reverses for the medal. All are pictured.

"While I have never seen a process set for this medal something keeps nagging at me that there is a reference to one that I have read but, alas, alack, the memory has faded."

To read Dick Johnson's article, see:

de FRANCISCI, Anthony  (1887-1964) Italian-American sculptor, medalist.

(http://www.medalartists.com/de-francisci-anthony.html)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

THE LIFE AND WORK OF ANTHONY DE FRANCISCI

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n06a16.html)

George Cuhaj writes:

"Process sets were sometimes offered to a client as a "special order" item as someone involved in the group was probably a collector, other times, process sets are made of special medals by the company as salesman's samples.

"This New York World's Fair set was probably done as I am sure Medallic Art Co. was pleased to win the contract to strike these medals. If they were for internal use and display than they were made for free and probably without the knowledge of the NYWF Commission. If they were made for the NYWF Commission, than Medallic Art Co. would charge for them (just as if they were finished medals.) In the 1980s when I (and others) were involved with the Metropolitan New York Numismatic Convention the medals committee always offered the annual medals made in conjunction with various annual host clubs process sets by subscription.

"Joe Levine of Presidential Coin & Antique Co. who served on several Presidential Inaugural committees often had a very limited and controlled process strike sets made encased in a Lucite block for display. Some have made auction appearances.

"The Black Sharpie was most certainly done at a later date, as the marker was only launched in 1964, it is very possible that these process set strikes were also done at a later date and not in 1964. Now that the Medallic Art Company records have come onto the market, the knowledge of after strikes for "record" purposes have come to light (that is another issue for another day).

"We see from this process set that Medallic Art Co. used a non-collared die striking process and the extra metal was trimmed off by a lathe before applying a patina.

"The value in this case is to a NY City or a World's Fair collector."

Matt Hansen of
Lincoln, Nebraska writes:

"I wanted to respond to the questions regarding the 1964-1965 New York World’s Fair medal process set from Medallic Art Company.  Although I can’t offer much of any information specific to the origins of the New York World's Fair set, I do know that a very similar "process set" of medals (that also included a blank planchet as well as a piece of the bronze planchet strip) were produced by Medallic Art Company for the striking of the 1967 Nebraska Centennial medal.  Striking of the medals took place at Medallic Art Co. in 1966.

"John J. Garrarron (former librarian of the ANA, and long-serving Sergeant-at-Arms at ANA Annual Conventions from 1961 until 1997) of Lincoln, Nebraska, as appointed chairman of the Nebraska Centennial Medal Committee by the Nebraska Centennial Commission, and helped coordinate distribution and sales of the 1967 Nebraska Centennial medals.  This process set was among the items in Mr. Gabarron's estate at the time of his death in 2001, and was acquired by my friend, fellow collector, and Nebraska Centennial medal enthusiast, John Veach.

"John has exhibited the process set (see attached image) at different events, and it is highly educational for showing the multi-step process that went into the manufacture of these spectacular medals.  I don't know if these "process sets" were something that Medallic Art Company produced for each and every medal they were commissioned to strike, but there are at least two examples now known of it having been done."

1967 Nebraska Centennial medal process set exhibit

Thanks, everyone!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR MEDAL PROCESS SET

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n12a14.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 28, 2021

 Neziah Wright Painting
Pete Smith writes:

"On September 16. 2016, Quinn’s Auction Galleries of Chadds Ford, Virginia, sold a “Portrait of an Unknown Gentleman” as lot 144. The painting was done in 1834 by the firm of Samuel Waldo and William Jewett. The painting, done in oil on board, is 36 x 28 inches with the Waldo and Jewett stencil on the back.

"After the sale, the buyer was told that it is a portrait of Neziah Wright. He was born in Lyman, New Hampshire, on August 10, 1804, the son of Lockhart and Abigail Bliss Wright. He was married to Lauretta with a daughter. He died in Manhattan on February 25, 1879.

"The painting shows him, not as an engraver and tradesman, but rather as a gentleman and partner in the successful firm of Rawdon, Wright, Hatch and Edson."

Thanks. Great portrait.  So far, no one has been able to answer Pete's earlier questions - a) who previously owned the painting? and b) are there any other known portraits of Neziah Wright?  Can anyone help?
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 21, 2021 : Seeking Picture of Neziah Wright

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/club_nbs_esylum_v24n12.html)

 Query: Medal Manufacturer Sought
 Jan Monroe  writes:

"I am trying to find out what company minted these medals.  They were issued in sets and put in die-cut cardboard holders with stamped lettering on the cardboard.  The unknown to me company made these for many different locations.  The style is the same with low relief nickel silver medals and silver medals.  The cardboard was housed in a plastic sleeve.  If anyone who reads The E-Sylum can help I would appreciate it.  "

Can anyone help?
-Editor

 Richard H. Driehaus (1942-2021)