The E-Sylum v24n40 October 3, 2021

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Oct 3 19:01:34 PDT 2021

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 24, Number 40, October 3, 2021
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 3, 2021 <#a01>
** NBS BIBLIOTALK PODCAST WITH MARC RICARD <#a02>
** ANS EBAY LITERATURE SALE OCTOBER 3, 2021 <#a03>
** BRYCE BROWN CATALOG INVENTORY UPDATED <#a04>
** NEW BOOK: THE HALF CENT HANDBOOK, VOL. 2 <#a05>
** NEW BOOK: WHEN BRITAIN WENT DECIMAL  <#a06>
** PERIODICAL: SCRIPOPHILY AUGUST 2021 ISSUE  <#a07>
** RESOURCE: HERALDRY IN THE SCHER COLLECTION <#a08>
** JERRY FRANCIS SCHIMMEL (1933-2021) <#a09>
** NNP: BRAMSEN SERIES ON NAPOLEONIC MEDALS <#a10>
** VIDEO: ATOCHA TREASURE DIVER CURTIS WHITE <#a11>
** WHY DO WE HAVE A $20 BILL AND A 25 CENT COIN? <#a12>
** AMOS NEWSSTAND MAGAZINES <#a13>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 3, 2021 <#a14>
** COUNSELING FOR NUMISMATIC SPOUSES <#a15>
** VOCABULARY TERM: FLEXIBLE MOLD <#a16>
** PAT MCBRIDE AKA BEN FRANKLIN <#a17>
** HEIDELBERGER MüNZHANDLUNG GRüN AUCTION 83  <#a18>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: OCTOBER 3, 2021 <#a19>
** THE ELUSIVE ELIASBERG 1858-S DIME <#a20>
** THE QUEEN’S PLATINUM JUBILEE MEDAL <#a21>
** COLLECTING COLONIAL NOTES BY SIGNERS <#a22>
** THE ELM CITY BANK OF NEW HAVEN <#a23>
** TRILLION-DOLLAR COIN SILLY SEASON AGAIN <#a24>
** HOW THE RARE COIN BUSINESS HAS CHANGED <#a25>
** FANATICS SHAKES THE SPORTS CARD INDUSTRY <#a26>
** LOOSE CHANGE: OCTOBER 3, 2021 <#a27>
** MOTION PICTURE MONEY SEIZED IN PHILADELPHIA <#a28>
** BUYS FAKE BOOZE WITH FAKE MONEY AND DIES <#a29>
** FEATURED WEB SITE: GROVE MINTING COMPANY <#a30>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 3, 2021

New subscribers this week include:
Amanda Hale,
Geoff Hobson,
James Jameson, and
Tristan Tang.
Welcome aboard! We now have 6,730 subscribers.

This week we open with a new NBS podcast, numismatic literature sales, two new books, a new resource on heraldry, updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and more.

Other topics this week include Half Cents, Napoleonic medals, the Atocha treasure, Glenda Koppenhaver, Jerry Schimmel, Pat McBride, an auction preview, the Queen's platinum Jubilee, colonial banknotes, counterfeiting around the world, and the Grove Minting Company.

To learn more about the U.S. Mint and Coinage, Britain's "Decimal Day", why we have a $20 bill and a 25-cent coin, the Amos newsstand magazines,
 the perpetual calendar coin, counseling for numismatist's spouses,  flexible molds, a Treaty of Paris medal, Sage's Numismatic Books Raffle,
and the wacky trillion-dollar coin idea, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NBS BIBLIOTALK PODCAST WITH MARC RICARD

The latest episode of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society podcast is now available for listening. It's on the NBS web site but also available elsewhere. Vice-President/Secretary Len Augsburger provided this report.
-Editor

NBS Podcast “Napoleonic Medals, with Marc Charles Ricard”

The latest episode of the NBS Bibliotalk podcast, “Napoleonic Medals, with Marc Charles Ricard,” is now available on the NBS website and other popular podcasting platforms such as Buzzsprout. In this installment, Lianna Spurrier, Bibliotalk producer, interviews Marc Ricard, longtime NBS member and former president. Marc has a broad numismatic library, with one specialty being literature related to Napoleonic medals.

Ricard has a special relationship with these medallic tributes as a descendant of the French engraver Benjamin Duvivier (1730-1819). Duvivier is best known in the American series for the Washington Before Boston medal, while on the other side of the pond he commemorated Napoleon in 1797 with the Treaty of Campoformio medal.

Ricard also has an important collection of “Red Books,” a specialty so popular that in 2009 Whitman issued A Guide Book of the Official Red Book as a guide to collecting this foundational reference, launched in 1946 and since issued annually. This is a great opportunity to become more familiar with a few of Marc’s books and hear stories regarding the formation of this important library.

Link to “Napoleonic Medals, with Marc Charles Ricard” on the NBS podcast page:

https://www.coinbooks.org/resources/podcast.html

ANS EBAY LITERATURE SALE OCTOBER 3, 2021

The American Numismatic Society has an ongoing sale of duplicates on eBay, and numismatic literature is included along with some great coins, tokens and medals. Here's a selection of some current book offerings.
-Editor

Used copies of THE COINAGES OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT / NUMISMATIQUE D'ALEXANDRE LE GRAND. Gardiakos, S. Suivie D'Un Appendice Contenant Les Monnaies De Philipe II Et III, Et Accompagnée De Planches Et Tables In Quarto. Some text in French, others in English. Includes several pages of illustrated coin plates. 1981.

To read the complete lot description, see:

Coin Book - The Coinages of Alexander The Great Vol. 1-3 [French Language Books]

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/133889925439)

Used copy of THE COINS OF THE DECAPOLIS AND PROVINCIA ARABIA. Spijkerman, Augustus. Edited With Historical and Geographical Introductions. Includes 84 pages of photographic coin plates. 1978.

To read the complete lot description, see:

Coin Book - The Coins of The Decapolis and Provincia Arabia

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/133889907553)

Used copy of SYLLOGE OF COINS OF THE BRITISH ISLES 58. Holmes, N.M. McQ. Scottish Coins In The National Museums of Scotland, Edinburgh Part I 1526-1603. Includes 99 pages of photographic coin plates. 2006.

To read the complete lot description, see:

Coin Book - Sylloge of Coins of The British Isles 58 (Scottish Coins)

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/133889921389)

Used copy of HANDBUCH DER POLNISCHEN NUMISMATIK. Gumowski, Marian. Includes multiple illustrated coin plates throughout. 1960.

To read the complete lot description, see:

Coin Book - Handbuch Der Polnischen Numismatik / Manual of Polish Numismatics

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/133885739673)

Used copy of EARLY AMERICAN COINS. Vlack, Robert A. A comprehensive listing with valuations of early American coins and tokens used in the American Colonies and early America, prior to the establishment of the United States Mint issue of 1793, including the Washington issues up to 1796. Includes numerous photographic coin plates throughout. 1965.

To read the complete lot description, see:

Coin Book - Early American Coins by Robert A. Vlack

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/133885736973)

Used copy of THE U.S. MINT AND COINAGE. Taxay, Don. An Illustrated History From 1776 To The Present. Includes multiple photographic coin plates throughout. 1966.

To read the complete lot description, see:

Coin Book - The U.S. Mint & Coinage An Illustrated History From 1776 To Present

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/133885738847)

All auction listings are duplicates from the American Numismatic Society and are sold with that pedigree. Founded in 1858, the American Numismatic Society is dedicated to the study and public appreciation of coins, currencies, medals, and related objects. Ever since its foundation, the ANS has assembled a permanent collection, which currently has more than 800,000 objects dating from 2100 B.C. to the present, as well as a numismatic library with approximately 100,000 books, documents, and artifacts. These resources support the publication of books and periodicals, and the hosting of lectures, academic seminars, and exhibitions. Memberships start at $100 and include our quarterly magazine and access to online programs.

NO RESERVE. All auctions are listed without a reserve price. Items are packaged carefully to minimize shifting during transit. Handling time is three (3) business days from payment date, however most lots ship the following business day after payment is made. We will happily combine shipping where possible, please contact us if you would like to combine shipping for lots that end multiple days apart. Buyer should contact the ANS within 30 days upon receiving won lots to request a return; return shipping is the responsibility of the buyer, and the full lot must be returned. Listings are unique and cannot be exchanged.

BRYCE BROWN CATALOG INVENTORY UPDATED

Bryce Brown writes:

"I've updated my pricelist of coin auction catalogs and related numismatic literature on my website

http://brycebooks.squarespace.com/

"Please take a look at my new inventory!  Also, E-Sylum readers who place a $100 order by October 15th will receive a 15% discount.

"I can be contacted via email at

numismatics at att.net or through the website."

NEW BOOK: THE HALF CENT HANDBOOK, VOL. 2

Author Ed Fuhrman shared this information about the second book in his series on U.S. Half Cents.   Thanks!
-Editor

I am delighted to announce the launch of my second book "The Half Cent Handbook - Classic Head and Braided Hair Varieties."  It is the second in a series of four planned books on U.S. Half Cents. (My first book "Draped Bust Varieties 1800-1808" was released in January).

The book contains updated and valuable information on Classic Head & Braided Hair die varieties, die states, grading, attribution, rarity, prices, cherry picking tips, and a whole lot more. Everything is laid out in a clear and concise manner with full color photos. The book is 157 pages, hard cover, full color, smyth sewn binding, and top quality in every way.

This book is a must have for novice and advanced collectors alike.
Copies are $100 (shipping included) and are only available directly from the author.

Email:

Guitarman68 at optonline.net

Paypal or checks are accepted.

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: THE HALF CENT HANDBOOK

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n08a06.html)

REVIEW: THE HALF CENT HANDBOOK

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n09a07.html)

NEW BOOK: WHEN BRITAIN WENT DECIMAL

We've talked before about Britain's "Decimal Day", when the country switched to decimal coinage over the centuries-old standard of pounds, shillings and pence.  A new book by Mark Stocker has been published by SPINK.
-Editor

When Britain Went Decimal: The Coinage of 1971

£30.00

Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

ISBN: 81912667567

RRP: £30.00

284mm X 215mm

240pp

Fifty years have now passed since D-Day – the bloodless decimalisation of British currency in 1971. Pounds, shillings and pence, operative for over a millennium, finally yielded to a far simpler system.

The United Kingdom was the last major nation-state in the world to adopt decimal currency, but why was it so slow to do so? What changed politicians’ and peoples’ minds about it in the 1960s?  Were Britain’s plans to join the EEC influential? What was the impact of India, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand going decimal several years earlier? Or did it simply happen because of common sense, with a decimal system so much easier to learn?

The route to find the right designs was a complex one, with interfering politicians, struggling artists, and at one stage an angry Duke of Edinburgh!  It took over five years to get there, and then there was the seven-sided 50 pence – a design classic we would say today, but what did the media and public think of it when it was launched in 1969?

When Britain Went Decimal takes readers through the changeover leading to D-Day and beyond: how smooth and successful was the process?  Did newspapers secretly hope it would fail?  While decimalisation might have seemed right at the time, did it lead to inflation, as many people believe today?

Entertainingly written and beautifully illustrated, this first book on decimalisation since 1973 attempts to answer all these questions and more, looking as much at the design – indeed the ‘art’ behind the new coinage – as at social, economic and political history.

Author Dr Mark Stocker is an eminent art historian with over 230 publications to his credit, mostly in the areas of public sculpture and numismatics.

For more information, or to order, see:

When Britain Went Decimal: The Coinage of 1971

(https://spinkbooks.com/products/when-britain-went-decimal-the-coinage-of-1971)

"First book on decimalisation since 1973"?  SPINK itself published Tom Hockenhull's book Making Change: the Decimalisation of Britain's Currency earlier this year.  But no matter - every book matters and brings a diffferent perspective to its topic.  Book reviews are always welcome!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF DECIMAL DAY IN BRITAIN

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n07a27.html)

NEW BOOK: MAKING CHANGE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n08a08.html)

PERIODICAL: SCRIPOPHILY AUGUST 2021 ISSUE

The August 2021 issue of Scripophily (number 116) has been published by the International Bond & Share Society (IBSS). Here are the contents. Thanks to Editor Max Hensley for forwarding the information.
-Editor

Sony Stock Explained

Prodigal Stock Returns

Standard Oil Discovery: £33,750

Bob Greenawalt

Tickers on Stocks

Scripophily Anonymity

Worldwide Auctions

Max Hensley writes:

"The featured article in the August 2021 issue is about the 33,750 BP price for the unique $2.5 million capitalization Standard Oil stock sold by SPINK in its May e-sale.  This makes it one of the scripophily kings, and quite a bargain compared to comparable coins and paper money.

"Three issues come with the IBSS membership for $35/yr at

http://www.scripophily.org (not .com)."

Max adds:

"I enjoyed that piece about the 1870 20 Yen.  Cross-cultural writings and artifacts always have interested me.  I was reminded of The Last Samarai movie about the depicted battle and Japan's struggle to remake its society after the opening to the West.

"One area not much appreciated about the Japanese renaissance in the late 1800s is the dispersion of talented Japanese to the West, kind of a reverse transfer.  I just wrote an article on one of them, Jokichi Takamine Sr., for the April 2021 Scripophily."

For more information on the International Bond & Share Society, see:

http://www.scripophily.org

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

KüNKER OFFERS 1870 JAPAN 20 YEN

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n38a20.html)

RESOURCE: HERALDRY IN THE SCHER COLLECTION

A new Coin World article by Steve Roach highlights a new online resource for numismatists.
-Editor

The Frick Collection has a new online resource for those who are curious about the symbolism of heraldry, illustrated with medals from the Stephen K. and Janie Woo Scher collection of medals.

An introduction by Stephen Scher explains, “Heraldry, the system by which coats of arms are designed and used, is a product of the Middle Ages, first appearing during the reign of Charlemagne (768–814 AD)”, adding that it was based on visual clues to help armor-wearing warriors identify one another quickly and accurately on the battlefield.

A glossary provides a full list of heraldic terms and literature on the complex field of heraldry can be found in an extensive bibliography.

The online supplement to recently published book, The Scher Collection of Commemorative Medals, lists those heraldic achievements, or coats of arms, that are found on the medals in the publication, and the numbers by which they are organized correspond to the catalog numbers.

To read the complete Coin World article, see:

New resource on heraldry symbolism opens

(https://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/new-resource-on-heraldry-symbolism-opens)

Here's a preview from the site's introduction.
-Editor

At some point in their histories, most countries had organizations, often composed of heralds, that controlled the granting and appearance of arms, but except for England and its associated countries—where there are precise rules of design and composition and established laws governing the granting and bearing of arms—such organizations have either disappeared or lost their official authority. In time, individuals were permitted to design and adopt arms with no legitimate claim to authenticity or validity, the sole restraint being that such arms did not copy arms already in existence.

A complete heraldic achievement and its blazon is composed of some combination of the following elements in their proper order: shield, partition, tinctures, ordinaries, subordinaries, charges, crest, helm, torse, mantle, crown, supporters, compartment, insignia, and motto.

To access the Heraldry site, see:

HERALDRY IN THE SCHER COLLECTION OF COMMEMORATIVE MEDALS

(https://www.frick.org/scher_home)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: SCHER COLLECTION OF PORTRAIT MEDALS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v20/esylum_v20n30a06.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 1946–2021: CELEBRATING 75 YEARS of the RED BOOK.
The 75th edition of the Guide Book of United States Coins will release next week, April 7, 2021. Preorder now to reserve your copy—online
at
Whitman.com
, or call 1-800-546-2995.

JERRY FRANCIS SCHIMMEL (1933-2021)

John Ostendorf passed along word of the recent passing of author Jerry Schimmel.   Sorry to hear this news.
This obituary appeared in the September-October 2021 issue of The TAMS Journal, the official publication of the Token and Medal Society.
Editor Greg Burns kindly provided the text and John obtained the image for publication here.  Thank you.  I added some images of his books.
-Editor

Jerry Francis Schimmel

(May 10, 1933 - August 20, 2021, Pacifica, CA)

Jerry passed away in his sleep after being hospitalized with septicemia following surgeries for which his sister had been caring for him. Jerry was a broadly recognized authority on tokens relating to his city of residence, San Francisco, and wrote a number of award-winning articles on such, some published in the Pacific Coast Numismatic Society’s “Annual Papers Contest” as well as elsewhere.

Author of U.S. State Issued Sales Tax Tokens in 1973. Author with Michael Pfefferkorn of Chits, Chislers, and Funny Money: A History
and Catalogue of United States Sales Tax Tokens, Receipts and Punch-Cards (1977). Author of Chinese American Tokens
>From the Pacific States (2004) and Chinese American Tokens From the Pacific Coast (2009).

NNP: BRAMSEN SERIES ON NAPOLEONIC MEDALS

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is the Bramsen Series on Napoleonic Medals. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Bramsen Series on Napoleonic Medals

Collectors of Napoleonic medals immediately recognize “Bramsen” as referring to Ludvig Ernst Bramsen’s multi-volume series (Médaillier Napoléon le Grand) on Napoleonic medals published from 1904 to 1913. Bramsen divided the work into three parts, with the first (1799-1809) providing coverage up to the end of the Napoleonic Wars, which represented the peak of the French empire. The second period (1810-1815) covers its subsequent decline, from the ill-fated Russian invasion to the battle of Waterloo. The final installment (1815-1869) includes the Napoleonic exile period and posthumous medallic tributes.

Although not illustrated, the text describes over 2,300 Napoleonic medals and remains the foundational guide for the series. Illustrated here is Bramsen-952, featuring jugate busts of Napoleon and Marie-Louise of Austria, on the occasion of their marriage in 1810 (image courtesy of Marc Ricard), along with a medal-ruled adaptation that appeared in Atkinson’s Casket, February 1834.

Link to Bramsen volumes on Napoleonic medals on NNP:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/booksbyauthor/544024

VIDEO: ATOCHA TREASURE DIVER CURTIS WHITE

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's one on Atocha Treasure Diver Captain Curtis White.
-Editor

Captain Curtis White Recounts Atocha Treasure Find.

VIDEO: 2:59.

July 9, 2021. Curtis White, Treasure Diver, David Lisot, Interviewer, CoinTelevision.com.

When Mel Fisher discovered the Atocha shipwreck Curtis White was one of his divers. Curtis continued a long career in treasure salvaging many wrecks. He shares the story of the day the Atoche was found and talks about how to be part of the treasure diving experience.

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://youtu.be/XmSfIPNUNTo

WHY DO WE HAVE A $20 BILL AND A 25 CENT COIN?

OK, so we have a one cent coin and a one dollar bill.
We have a five cent coin and a five dollar bill.
Likewise, we have a ten cent coin and a ten dollar bill,
a fifty cent coin and fifty dollar bill, and a "hundred cent" coin (the dollar) and a hundred dollar bill.  A nice mathematical progression.
So why the heck do we have a twenty-five cent coin and a twenty dollar bill?  Why haven't we ever had a $25 bill?

John Phipps submitted this thoughtful answer.  Thank you!
-Editor

You asked the question “Why do we have a $20 bill and a 25-cent piece, anyway?”  That is a question I have heard many times and only got the answer because of the pandemic! Like many, with in-person activities cancelled, I turned to online opportunities.

I learned the answer in a Zoom meeting presented by the Hobby Club in New Delhi, India.  The simple answer is our culture.  Explaining it is much more complicated.  The culture that I am referring to is not high culture like old paintings, the symphony or opera.  This culture is created by a blend of tradition, politics, convenience, superstition, religion, science, mathematics, anatomy, language, humor and many more factors. I think of culture as those things that everybody knows but nobody is taught.  One example is the expression “Women and children first.”  We all know it and we all believe it, but it is not taught in school.

First, a look at coins through the lens of our culture.  Because of our culture, we think of coins as commodity money. That is to say, coins are worth the value of the metal, or they have intrinsic value.  Logically, we know that today this is not true of our coins, but cultural beliefs are very deeply rooted and take many decades to go away if they ever do.  Commodity money can be divided or split.  The easiest split for the human mind in to divide into halves.  So, we have 1/2 dollars, 1/2 dimes and 1/2 cents.  Splitting the halves in half again and we have 1/2 dollars.  Historically we have split these in half again and gotten pieces-of-eight. We have other fractions of a dollar.  One tenth of a dollar is not called a “tenth” it is called a dime.  One hundredth of a dollar is not called a “hundredth” it is called a cent.  This is because splitting into 10 or 100 equal pieces is harder for the human mind to consider. So why do we have a 25-cent piece?  The answer is
  culture.

Next a look at banknotes.  Our culture has always thought of them as fiat money.  That is to say, banknotes are only backed by the “good faith” belief in the issuing authority.  We do not split fiat money.  Almost never have banknotes been torn in half to make lower denominations.  It is created for convenience.  Convenience in paying with the fewest number of banknotes.  Convenience in receiving change in the fewest number of banknotes.  Also, the issuing authority wants to print the fewest number of banknotes for lower printing costs and transportation costs.  To achieve these advantages of fiat money an efficient scheme needs to be used.

Analyzing various schemes can easily be done empirically. Pick the proposed banknotes in the scheme.  Then count the minimum number of notes needed to pay amounts between 1 and 10.  The lower the total number, the more efficient the scheme.  Here is an analysis of a $1-$2-$3 scheme.

This analysis applies for the issuing $1, $2, and $3 banknotes and issuing $10, $20, and $30 banknotes and issuing $100, $200, and $300 banknotes.

The analysis can be done for any other combination of banknotes that the issuing authority is considering.  For a $1-$2.50-$5 scheme the total is very high at 27.  So, the $25 banknote is out of the question.  I have done this analysis on many schemes.  There are two schemes of three banknotes with a total of 19.  These are the most efficient schemes, a $1-$2-$5 scheme and a $1-$3-$7 scheme.

So, the final question is which scheme to use, the $1-$2-$5 scheme or the $1-$3-$7 scheme? Culture makes this decision too.  With human anatomy, we start counting with one finger, we have two hands and five fingers per hand. The $1-$2-$5 scheme is the obvious winner.  And by extension to $10-$20-$50 and $100-$200-$500 if we choose to go that far. Of course, the $2 banknote is not popular because of superstitions in our culture.  So why do we have a $20 banknote?  The answer is culture.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

PEARSON: MORE DESIGNS FOR U.S. PAPER MONEY

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n39a14.html)

AMOS NEWSSTAND MAGAZINES

Retired Coin World Editor Beth Deisher kindly submitted these notes in response to my question last week about the Worldwide Coins magazine.  Thank you!
-Editor

WorldWide Coins was one of four newsstand magazines published by Amos Press Inc. during the first decade of the 21st century.

The first of the newsstand magazines was Coin Values. Beth Deisher was founding editor and Eric Martin later served as editor. Published monthly, it was launched in December 2003. Coin World subscribers received an edition with a cover different from the newsstand edition, but the interior contents were identical. The magazine featured values of U.S. coins and included feature articles as well as the popular column, “Making the Grade,” later published in book form. Coin Values was published monthly as a stand-alone magazine through February 2011 and was then incorporated into the monthly Coin World magazine.

Paper Money Values, offering values of U.S. federal paper money, premiered with a Winter 2005 issue and was issued quarterly during 2006. During 2007, 2008, and 2009 it was issued bimonthly. Three issues were published as a stand-alone magazine during 2010. Edited by Michele Orzano, content included features about U.S. and world paper money as well as new issues. Editorial content was incorporated into the large monthly Coin World magazine beginning with the June 2010 issue.

WorldWide Coins was published by bimonthly. Beth Deisher was founding editor and Andrew Perala was managing editor. Features, columns, new issues, and a world coins auction calendar were included in the editorial content. Trends of Mexican, Canadian, and British coins were published in the magazine on a rotating basis. The first issue was published in November 2007. Six issues each were published in 2008 and 2009. The last stand-alone issue was published in January 2010. Beginning with the April 10, 2010, issue the editorial content transitioned as World Coins to the larger Coin World monthly magazine.

Presidential Dollars, edited by Beth Deisher, premiered in 2007 as the new series of small dollar coins was issued for circulation. Lack of public acceptance led the U.S. Mint to halt circulation production and to begin marketing Presidential dollars as collector coins. Only one issue of Presidential Dollars (Vol. 1, Issue 1) was ever published.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: SEPTEMBER 26, 2021

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n39a27.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 3, 2021

 Chocolate 1932 Olympic Medal