The E-Sylum v25n33 August 14, 2022

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Aug 14 18:03:52 PDT 2022

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 25, Number 33, August 14, 2022
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM AUGUST 14, 2022 <#a01>
** NBS 2022 ANA CONVENTION EVENTS <#a02>
** KOLBE & FANNING 2022 SUMMER SALE HIGHLIGHTS <#a03>
** KENNY SAMMUT OFFERS NUMISMATIC LITERATURE <#a04>
** NEW BOOK: 100 GREATEST CANADIAN COINS AND TOKENS <#a05>
** BOOK REVIEW: TREASURE! <#a06>
** NNP ADDS IOWA NUMISMATIC BULLETINS <#a07>
** CCAC RESOURCES ON THE NEWMAN PORTAL <#a08>
** VIDEO: CLIFFORD MISHLER AT PAN <#a09>
** WHITMAN AUTHORS TO SIGN BOOKS AT ANA <#a10>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 14, 2022 <#a11>
** PRESIDENT COIN COMPANY ALBUMS <#a12>
** DAFRAN HOUSE COIN CHECKLISTS <#a13>
** CCAC SEEKS APPLICANTS FOR TWO OPENINGS <#a14>
** J.S.G BOGGS ESTATE AT 2022 SUMMER FUN <#a15>
** VOCABULARY TERM: LIMITED EDITION <#a16>
** THE COLLET AND KOLIT SCALES <#a17>
** THE FIRST BOWERS AND RUDDY PUBLIC AUCTION <#a18>
** THE MONEY MUSEUM AT THE CLEVELAND FED <#a19>
** HERITAGE TOKEN AND MEDAL SELECTIONS <#a20>
** FEISEL AUGUST 2022 TOKEN SALE HIGHLIGHTS <#a21>
** ANCIENT JEWISH COINS IN ROBINSON 119TH AUCTION <#a22>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: AUGUST 14, 2022 <#a23>
** A BRONZE FOLLIS OF ANASTASIUS  <#a24>
** ANCIENT COIN IMPORT RESTRICTIONS <#a25>
** THE "UPRIGHT 5" GOLD DOLLARS <#a26>
** HARRIET TUBMAN COMMEMORATIVE COIN ACT <#a27>
** MPC SERIES 641 50 CENTS PROGRESSIVE PROOF SET  <#a28>
** BANKNOTE RECONNECTS HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR <#a29>
** DUMPSTER BANKNOTE STIRS VISION OF RICHES <#a30>
** LOOSE CHANGE: AUGUST 14, 2022 <#a31>
** VIDEO: SCULPTURES MADE OUT OF COINS <#a32>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM AUGUST 14, 2022

New subscribers this week include:
Malcolm Mathias and
Elizabeth Mackenzie.
Welcome aboard!

This week we open with NBS and Whitman events at the ANA, two numismatic literature sales, one new book, a book review,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and more.

Other topics this week include Canadian coins, the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee, Clifford Mishler, J.S.G. Boggs, Mark Collet, the Cleveland Fed money museum, auction previews, the Harriet Tubman commemoratives, and sculptures made out of coins.

To learn more about 1794 Large Cents, Chapman catalogues, Mason’s Coin and Stamp Collectors’ Magazine, the Iowa Numismatic Association,
 the 2022 NLG Awards Luncheon,  a Union Soldier's 1857 gold dollar,
President Coin Company coin albums, Mike Kolman, the American Auction Association, the Bombardment of Fort Sumter medal and the coin restoration machine, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NBS 2022 ANA CONVENTION EVENTS

The American Numismatic Association's annual World's Fair of Money convention is upon us.  Here's a final reminder of the upcoming NBS events compiled from recent articles.
-Editor

Here are a few highlights of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society’s events at the upcoming ANA
Convention in Rosemont the week of August 16th to 20th. Tuesday through Friday the NBS will
host our club table (#730). We hope you will stop by to view a few highlights from Friday’s
charity auction, purchase a NBS commemorative coffee mug to support the NBS and, most of
all, share your enthusiasm for the numismatic literature hobby.

The NBS Board Meeting will be held on Thursday from 11:30 to 1:00 in room 11. Our
Symposium will Immediately follow the Board Meeting at 1:00 also in room 11. We are
delighted to have NBS Treasurer and early American coppers authority, Chuck Heck, speaking
about his marvelous new book Die States of 1794 United States Large Cents.

Numismatic Bibliomania Symposium

Chuck Heck will speak about his new book

Die States of 1794 United States Large Cents

Thursday, August 18 at 1:00PM (Room 11)

NBS General Meeting and

Charity Auction

Friday, August 19 at 11:30AM (Room 12)

The General Meeting will be Friday at 11:30 in room 12. The meeting will feature The Asylum
author awards, a video tour of the extensive library of NBS Historian, Joel Orosz and our all-
important charity auction. The auction catalog will be posted on the NBS website

www.coinbooks.org. David Fanning cataloged the sale and will accept absentee bids by phone
(614)256-8915 or email

df at numislit.com until 5PM central time Thursday, August 18th.

If your
schedule permits, we would like to invite those attending the General Meeting to remain after the
formal meeting to enjoy an informal social time. We encourage you to bring a special item from
your library to share or just stay for the fellowship. While it will be fun to see what others bring,
the goal is to provide an opportunity to connect with your fellow biblio enthusiasts.

Thank you to everyone who has stepped up to serve and support the NBS during our annual
events. We look forward to seeing you at the NBS events!

Every year at the ANA convention, NBS holds an auction of donated material to raise funds for the club.  Bidding is open to all, and you needn't attend in person.  Check out the catalog - there is some great material here, thanks to our generous donors.  Pitch in as a generous bidder!
-Editor

Each year at the ANA World’s Fair of Money, the Numismatic Bibliomania Society conducts a charity auction to raise funds for the organization. All items sold are donated to the NBS by members and 100% of the proceeds go to the NBS treasury.

Absentee bids due by close of day Thursday, August 18
Absentee bids should be sent to David Fanning at

df at numislit.com by the end of Thursday, August 18.

The sale will take place on Friday, August 19 as part of the NBS General Meeting, to be held in Room 12 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Please read the terms of sale before bidding.

Thank you for your support of the NBS!

To view the Benefit Auction Catalogue, see:

https://mcusercontent.com/5c68a72f4948c463818f613c2/files/c7279743-ce57-c0ea-fc8d-b48ae2f6e30d/NBSAuction2022.pdf

Please do stop by the club table to chat with officers and fellow members.
With our daughter moving to college this week, I'll be unable to attend the convention this year.  Have fun without me, and please submit thoughts and photos to share with readers in future issues of The E-Sylum and our print journal, The Asylum.

Longtime E-Sylum supporter Harry Laibstain published the below remarks in an email to clients today; they completely sum up my own feelings and recommendations about the annual event - go there, have fun, and meet with friends new and old.
-Editor

"By the time you read this many of those participating in the ANA will be there or en route. Each Summer, numismatists from all over the world convene in the selected city to join the hoopla known as The Money Show. Sponsored by the ANA, the summer show is the larger of the two they host each year. It is the largest event of the year for Numismatists.

"My First  ANA was in Boston in 1982. I had been in the coin business just shy of two years and I was attending a historic show in a historic city. Heady times for a young man I can assure you. I didn’t make New Orleans the next year but was in Milwaukee for 84 and every summer ANA since then. The ANA is not just the largest show but the only one that has unique feel. It’s so much more than a coin show. It has a cosmic nature. You go to have experiences and memories that you will take with you when you leave. Interactions with new acquaintances that become long-term relationships. Solidifying existing relationships through shared participation. If you haven’t attended a summer ANA in the past, I highly recommend you add it to your future to-do list.

"We look forward to seeing as many of our old friends and making as many new friends as we can."

To read earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: DIE STATES OF 1794 LARGE CENTS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n22a04.html)

NBS 2022 ANA CONVENTION EVENT SCHEDULE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n31a02.html)

2022 NBS BENEFIT AUCTION

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n32a02.html)

KOLBE & FANNING 2022 SUMMER SALE HIGHLIGHTS

Here are some more highlights from the Kolbe & Fanning 2022 Summer Americana sale of numismatic literature.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers will be holding our Summer Americana sale on Saturday, August 27, 2022. Including highlights from the Bourne Library of U.S. numismatic periodicals, the Jim Neiswinter Library of works on U.S. large cents, the Cardinal Collection Library of American numismatic auction catalogues, and other properties, the sale promises to be one of the most important of the year. The sale also features American items featuring ancient and foreign coins, making for a sale that includes something for everybody.

Some highlights of the sale include:

Lot 61

Lot 61: the Fuld set of 86 small-format Chapman catalogues, including a plated Morris sale and other plated catalogues

Lots 152 and 179

Lot 152: a large-paper copy of Edward Cogan’s important 1869 sale catalogue of the Mortimer Mackenzie collection, with five photographic plates

Lot 179: the extremely rare plated version of Tom Elder’s 1910 catalogue of the Ebenezer Gilbert collection, in the original binding

Lots 129 and 180

Lot 129: Colonel Green’s plated copy of the William Streicher catalogue, one of S.H. Chapman’s rarest plated sales

Lot 180: a plated copy of Elder’s 1911 catalogue of the William Woodin collection, one of the greatest gold sales of all time

Lot 204

Lots 204: the Stack Family set of the catalogues of Ed Frossard, including 76 catalogues bound in six volumes, four of them with plates

Lots 288 and 302

Lot 288: one of 12 copies printed on large paper of the catalogue of the 1865 J.N.T. Levick sale, postponed due to Lincoln’s assassination

Lot 302: a complete set of Mason’s Coin and Stamp Collectors’ Magazine (1867–1872), with an unfolded Photographic Gallery plate

Lots 331 and 421-422

Lot 331: one of ten copies of the deluxe, leatherbound edition of Howard Newcomb’s work on the cents of 1801–1803, inscribed by the author

Lot 421 and 422: both printings of the landmark 1851 auction catalogue of the Lewis Roper collection, the first major coin sale in the United States.

Register early to bid online
Bids may be placed via post, email, fax or phone, as well as online. Kolbe & Fanning use Auction Mobility as our third-party online bidding platform. Auction Mobility is an app-based platform allowing users the ability to participate in the sale through phones, tablets and computers. To register for the sale, bidders must go to

bid.numislit.com and sign up. Once you have set up an account, you may browse lots, place advance bids, or participate in the live sale online. Those wishing to participate on their devices can download the Kolbe & Fanning app through the Apple or Google Play Store. The sale is also listed on Biddr and NumisBids.

The printed catalogue of the Summer Americana sale is being mailed to active customers on our mailing list. As international mail speeds have been inconsistent, we encourage our foreign clients to consult the electronic catalogue in case their printed catalogue does not arrive promptly. A PDF of the printed catalogue has been posted to our main website at

numislit.com for those who prefer that format. Bids placed via post, email, fax or phone must be received by August 26, the day before the sale, in order for them to be processed. Advance absentee bids may also be placed at any time online at

bid.numislit.com. Live internet bidding will be available during the sale itself through the same platform.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed and bonded auction firm in the State of Ohio. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at

numislit.com or email David Fanning at

df at numislit.com. To register for the sale, go to

bid.numislit.com. We look forward to your participation.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

KOLBE & FANNING 2022 SUMMER AMERICANA SALE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n32a03.html)

KENNY SAMMUT OFFERS NUMISMATIC LITERATURE

In a blog article earlier today, Kenny Sammut notes that he's added a number of numismatic literature lots to his eBay store, with more on the way.  Be sure to have a look.
-Editor

Right after finishing up my sophomore year at Seton Hall in May, I flew down to Sarasota to begin my second summer internship at NGC. Finished up last week and once again, I had a great time while increasing my numismatic knowledge. Mr. Rick Montgomery, President of NGC, and the entire staff made me feel welcomed. I hope to go back during my Christmas vacation.

During the internship, I had an opportunity to attend one week of the ANA's Summer Seminars. It was my sixth Summer Seminar and I highly recommend all numismatists make it a point to add it to your bucket list of things to do.

While at the Summer Seminar, I purchased approximately 160 books during the ANA Library book sale. Many of those books have been listed on my eBay store. I invite you to take a look.

In regards to my eBay store, I just created a new category - So-called dollars. I have the pleasure of working with a well-known so-called dollar collector and dealer. Each month, I plan on listing up to 80 so-called dollars. The first 20 have just been listed. If you collect so-called dollars, I invite you to visit my store and follow it so you are notified when new listings go up.

Lastly, during the next two weeks before my junior year begins, I will be listing approximately 100 world and US coins, numismatic books, a lot of exonumia, and some bullion each day.

Click here to visit my eBay store:

https://www.ebay.com/str/numismaticswithkenny

I am excited to share more than 19,000 items totaling over 21,000 coins, books, and exonumia have been sold since I opened the store three years ago. I truly appreciate all of you who have purchased items.

My latest article will be appearing in The Numismatist next month.

Kenny supports The E-Sylum with his regular ads - be sure to check out his stock frequently.
-Editor

NEW BOOK: 100 GREATEST CANADIAN COINS AND TOKENS

Here's the announcement for Whitman's new book on Canadian coins and tokens.  Sounds great!
-Editor

Whitman Publishing announces the United States release of 100 Greatest Canadian Coins and Tokens, by Dr. Harvey B. Richer, at the American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money in Chicago, August 16, 2022.

The 160-page hardcover coffee-table book debuted in July at the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association convention in Ottawa. In conjunction with the RCNA show, the Bank of Canada held a reception at its Money Museum with a display of many of the “100 Greatest” coins from Richer’s book. The exhibit included, for the first time in history, all three of the existing 1911 Canadian pattern silver dollars on public display.

In 100 Greatest Canadian Coins and Tokens, Richer explores Canadian money that has captured the imagination of collectors for generations. He includes such factors as historical significance, rarity, value, popularity, beauty, and innovation.

Dr. Harvey Richer with rarities on display at the Bank of Canada exhibit

Instead of listing the 100 Greatest from 1 to 100, Richer presents the coins and tokens in a chronological narrative. He illustrates historical connections in the development of Canadian money and numismatics, from the earliest examples of wampum all the way to coinage after Confederation, when Canada had its own mint and was a member of the British Commonwealth of Nations. He gives mintages and quantities known, physical details, auction and private-sale data, market values, museum notes, rarity information, and other fascinating background.

Kenneth Bressett, Editor Emeritus of the Guide Book of United States Coins (the “Red Book”), says, “Professor Richer has not only laid this intriguing meal before us, but has added to it a concise history of Canadian numismatic items ranging from primitive trade beads to some of the Royal Canadian Mint’s latest innovations, designs, concepts, and assorted novelties. If you already collect Canadian coins, Harvey Richer’s book will refresh your interest and bring back wonderful memories. If you’re new to the hobby, you’ll be inspired to begin a richly satisfying lifelong journey.”

Emily S. Damstra, an award-winning designer of Canadian and U.S. coins, says, “Richer’s thoughtfully guided tour of the 100 Greatest Canadian Coins and Tokens is a marvelous journey.”

100 Greatest Canadian Coins and Tokens is available from booksellers and hobby shops nationwide, and online (including at www.Whitman.com), for $34.95. The book can also be borrowed for free as a benefit of membership in the ANA, through the Dwight N. Manley Numismatic Library.

100 Greatest Canadian Coins and Tokens

By Harvey B. Richer; forewords by Kenneth Bressett and Emily S. Damstra.

ISBN 794849830. Hardcover, 10 x 12 inches, 160 pages, full color.

Retail $34.95 U.S.

BOOK REVIEW: TREASURE!

Doug Nyholm published this review of Peter Jones' Treasure! in the
August 2022 issue of The Mint Master, which he edits for the Utah Numismatic Society.  With permission, we're republishing it here.
-Editor

I recently ordered the book “Treasure”
by Peter Jones. This is a different type
of book than I normally acquire but the
initial information about the subject
intrigued me. Sometimes it is difficult
to order a book without seeing even a
single page. I often wonder about not
only the content but the quality of
publishing and printing.

When the book arrived I showed it to
my wife and said “This book is a
gem!” It truly was great and I have
barely set it down since opening the
package. Most importantly is the content which I said is different from your  typical coin or numismatic book. As
the book states “It is a collectors numismatic journey into maritime history.” Discussed are 75 maritime shipwrecks from the 1500’s to early 1900. Also covered is the history of shipping
and shipwreck salvage.

The writing technique is a bit different but easily readable separated by tidbits of information
rather than pages and standard paragraphs. It is filled with numerous color images and many
full page images of recovered coins. It has a wealth of information and some could consider it
a coffee table book. It consists of 398 pages in 8x11 format. It is full color and printed on
glossy paper. Retail price is listed at $99 but I found my copy discounted on eBay for $77 including tax and shipping. If this subject is of interest to you I would highly recommend this book.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: TREASURE!

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n13a05.html)

NNP ADDS IOWA NUMISMATIC BULLETINS

Newman Numismatic Portal Summer intern Kellen Hoard submitted these thoughts on one of NNP's recent additions - newsletters of the Iowa Numismatic Association.  Thanks.

I take great personal pleasure in learning about the history of American numismatics, the (often quite unusual) people who shaped it, and the organizations which were integral to forming the hobby as we know it today.  It was therefore with great curiosity that I examined a recent addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal: the Iowa Numismatic Association newsletters from 1942-1946.

I hoped when first reading through that it might provide some slice of insight into the state of the hobby as it was in the 1940s, and it did.  But what I found more exciting were the lessons, of sorts, which modern numismatists might glean from its pages.  The following is a list of some such enlightenment I received from these newsletters.

DO:

Shamelessly promote the most famous numismatists you know.  The INA newsletter made every effort to share the organization’s notable members, including one instance where it was noted that “by the way, do you know that nine of the thirteen members of [the ANA board and staff] are members of the INA?”  The INA roster was replete in various instances with such names as B. Max Mehl, J. Hewitt Judd, Lee Hewitt, Harry X. Boosel, Morton Stack, Abe Kosoff, R.S. Yeoman, and M. Vernon Sheldon.

Capitalize upon numismatists’ compulsion for competition to benefit the greater good.  See one such provoking question in the March 1944 issue: “do you know that some other state beat Iowa last year in the number of books borrowed by ANA members from the library?”

Discuss the intersection of agriculture and numismatics extensively. See December 1944: “Paul Campbell was there! Guess Paul must have finished husking the corn he was so busy planting that he could not get to Cedar Rapids in the spring. That was the first convention Paul had ever missed, too.”

DON’T:

Share the addresses of every club member.  The INA certainly didn’t hesitate to detail the home locations of theirs in several different issues. But I guess things might have been more easy-going then. We have Whitepages online now, anyway.

Accept cigarettes in lieu of membership dues, as INA Secretary Lewis M. Reagan did.

Publicly blame the bidders for making your own convention auction a “disappointment” with “ridiculously low prices.”  Whenever auctions are lackluster nowadays, we just blame the catalogers (but never Mark Borckardt).

See the newsletters here:

https://archive.org/details/inanewsbulletin1/page/n3/mode/2up

CCAC RESOURCES ON THE NEWMAN PORTAL

Newman Numismatic Portal Summer intern Kellen Hoard also notes NNP resources relating to the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC).
-Editor

As a spot on the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) opens up to the general public, you may be considering applying for the position. But as we—all readers of The E-Sylum, but particularly the bibliomaniacs among us—are well aware, it pays dividends to do your research (“buy the book before…”). In this instance, if you plan to apply, it is worthwhile to utilize the diverse offerings on the Newman Numismatic Portal in order to conduct that research and subsequently strengthen your application.

A simple NNP search of “CCAC” reveals materials in a variety of mediums which may improve your expertise in the organization. Learn about its official activities via Coin World and inside perspectives from E-Sylum archives. Listen to audio of former CCAC member Heidi Wastweet to understand the experience of being a member.  Read official CCAC reports to glean insight into accompanying responsibilities. View dozens of images related to the group to see if the other members seem like pleasant enough people. Read biographies of past and present members to gauge whether you are the right fit. The only thing you won’t find there is the application (but we at the NNP are confident in your ability to find that elsewhere on the internet).

Image: Past CCAC member and NBA star Kareem Abdul-Jabar is sworn in in this picture from the NNP E-Sylum archive. This could be you!

More than 1,300 resources await you, future CCAC member.  Find them here:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/searchwithterms?searchterm=CCAC

An article elsewhere in this issue discusses the currently open positions.
-Editor

VIDEO: CLIFFORD MISHLER AT PAN

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's one of Clifford Mishler speaking at the May 2022 PAN Show banquet.
-Editor

Cliff Mishler: Thoughts About Numismatics

Clifford Mishler, Governor, American Numismatic Association

David Lisot, Video Producer, CoinTelevision.com

May 20, 2022.

Clifford Mishler, former President, Krause Publications, speaks to Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists Coin Show Banquet 2022 and shares his thoughts about the coin hobby.

25:53

David adds:

"The PAN Convention prides itself on having important people to the hobby of numismatics speak at their gatherings. Clifford Mishler brings years of understanding to his audience as he shares what he thinks numismatics is all about."

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtLwRLNOfqY

WHITMAN AUTHORS TO SIGN BOOKS AT ANA

This press release from Whitman Publishing announces a book signing event at this month's ANA show.  Great opportunity to meet some of today's top authors!
-Editor

Ken Bressett, Jeff Garrett

Coin collectors have a chance to meet hobby legends Kenneth Bressett and Jeff Garrett, and the newest Whitman Publishing author, Harvey B. Richer, at the American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money, held August 16–20, 2022. Whitman authors will visit with collectors and sign copies of their books at the Whitman booth at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Chicago (Rosemont), Illinois.

Ken Bressett is editor emeritus of the Guide Book of United States Coins (popularly known as the “Red Book”), which celebrates its 76th edition this year; the Handbook of United States Coins (the wholesale-pricing Blue Book); and Mega Red (the 1,504-page expanded version of the Red Book). More than 25 million copies of the Red Book have been sold since it debuted in 1946. Many hobbyists collect the Red Book itself, including varieties, special editions, and autographed volumes.

Among Bressett’s newest titles are A Penny Saved: R.S. Yeoman and His Remarkable Red Book, a richly illustrated volume that tells the history of Whitman Publishing and the Red Book, along with a biography of its original author (R.S. Yeoman), and an autobiography of Bressett himself. His latest book, Bible Lore and the Eternal Flame, is an archaeological study of the Old and New Testaments, from the earliest cuneiform writing to pottery, oil lamps, glass, and—of course—coins and other money.

Jeff Garrett, a professional numismatist and former president of the ANA, took over from Bressett as senior editor of the Red Book and the Blue Book in 2018. He also serves as valuations editor of Mega Red, which is edited by another hobby legend, Q. David Bowers.

Harvey B. Richer’s new book 100 Greatest Canadian Coins and Tokens enjoys its United States unveiling at the ANA show, after debuting in July along with an impressive Bank of Canada exhibit at the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association convention in Ottawa.

Harvey Richer with ANA President Ralph Ross

“Autograph sessions at the Whitman booth give collectors a unique chance to chat in person with some of our favorite hobby writers,” said Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker. “We invite collectors to bring their cameras and take pictures. The ANA World’s Fair of Money is a place to make wonderful memories.”

Whitman Publishing is located at booth #1900, right next to the United States Mint display. Whitman is the Official Supplier of the American Numismatic Association. As a benefit of membership in the ANA, members receive 10% off all Whitman purchases.

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 14, 2022

 On Indian Peace Medal Recipients
Nathan Markowitz writes:

"Paul Horner asks a question to which all interested in Indian Peace Medals would like an answer!  Simply put, I have traced a number of IPMs and the information regarding issuance is limited as is subsequent provenance information.  For example, the journals of Lewis and Clark enumerate specific awards but the recipients are hard if not impossible to trace historically.  They clearly documented award events but accurate names and tracing the medals longitudinally is tough; I know of only two from the Lewis and Clark expedition traced from recipient to recent times.

"Other sources might include any records from the official offices of the Indian departments but I have not reviewed them.  I am also interested not only in who received the medals but how they felt about the "awards".  I welcome any further insight beyond the standard texts and the excellent auction research done in Ford and subsequent auctions."

Lincoln Indian Peace Medal attributed to Honkapkna

Alan V Weinberg writes:

"As to there  possibly being one or even several sources for the names and dates of recipients of silver Indian Peace medals, there is no such thing. There were as many as three different sizes of silver presentation medals and the smaller ones were given to less prominent chieftains and even warriors whose names and dates of presentation were totally inconsequential at the time. Not only that , but in many cases they were given in remote geographic locations where writing instruments / paper were not available.

"Any “documentation” of a name of an Indian Peace medal recipient,  with a very few exceptions, would have to come from the proud Native American recipient himself or his immediate descendants and , in some cases , those identifications were primitively carved or engraved on the silver medals themselves"

Thanks, everyone.  This is unfortunate, but makes sense given the situation and times.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 7, 2022 : Indian Peace Medal Recipient List Sought

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n32a16.html)

 More on the Joseph Reakirt Collection
Dave Hirt writes:

"I'm still processing all the information on the Reakirt and his coins.  I have a priced and named catalog of the Mickley sale, and Reakirt bought the three piece 1827 proof set for $160. I think
that set is one of the most desirable items ever struck by the US Mint. How it could remain off the market for 100 years, and no one could be curious about its whereabouts is a mystery to me."

Alan V Weinberg writes:

"I actually flew down to Athens GA to examine and bid on the Joseph Reakirt collection in 1963 and was greeted and had dinner with the Reakirt descendant family. I did acquire a gem proof 1857 flying eagle cent for, if memory serves, $750 (after calling Norman Stack for advice).  I understood the Norweb family acquired many of the remaining coins including an original 1827 quarter, so if Kosoff allegedly acquired much (not all) of the collection, he was acting as an agent for Norweb."

The Mickley-Reakirt-Norweb 1827 Quarter

Thanks, everyone.  What a great collection.  Without a named public sale catalog to memorialize it, it's largely forgotten today.  Linked below is the August 2021 Stack's Bowers ANA auction lot description.  The coin sold for $588,000.
-Editor

To read the complete lot description, see:

1827/3/2 Capped Bust Quarter. Original. B-1. Rarity-7. Curl Base 2 in 25 C. Proof-65 Cameo (PCGS). CAC.

(https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-S47VP/182732-capped-bust-quarter-original-b-1-rarity-7-curl-base-2-in-25-c-proof-65-cameo-pcgs-cac)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 7, 2022 : More on the 1963 "Famous Old Collection"

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n32a16.html)

 2022 NLG Awards Luncheon