The E-Sylum v25n51 December 18, 2022

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Dec 18 18:14:11 PST 2022

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 25, Number 51, December 18, 2022
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 18, 2022 <#a01>
** ORIENTAL NUMISMATIC SOCIETY WINTER 2023 <#a02>
** WALTER J. HUSAK (1942-2022) <#a03>
** STEWART BLAY (1950-2022) <#a04>
** A COIN GIFT CHRISTMAS CARD <#a05>
** VIDEO: ELDRIDGE JONES <#a06>
** CHATGPT AND NUMISMATICS <#a07>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 18, 2022 <#a08>
** VIRGIL BRAND:  THE OBJECTS OF COIN COLLECTING <#a09>
** MOST USEFUL NUMISMATIC BOOKS OF 1959 <#a10>
** FRANK WARD CIVIL WAR DOG TAG <#a11>
** CHRISTMAS CLUB TOKENS <#a12>
** VOCABULARY TERM: MEDALLIC ART <#a13>
** NUMISMATIC HALLS OF FAME <#a14>
** BAUMAN BELDEN OF THE ANS <#a15>
** HARRY LAIBSTAIN ON HOBBY'S PAST AND FUTURE <#a16>
** CENTRAL STATES EXPANDS 2023 CONVENTION <#a17>
** ATLAS NUMISMATICS DECEMBER 2022 SELECTIONS <#a18>
** NUMISMAGRAM SELECTIONS: DECEMBER 18, 2022 <#a19>
** HERITAGE BASS II COLLECTION SELECTIONS <#a20>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: DECEMBER 18, 2022 <#a21>
** HASMONEAN MUSEUM  MACCABEAN COIN DISPLAY <#a22>
** HALF-SHEKEL FROM THE GREAT REVOLT DISCOVERED <#a23>
** POLISH MARK-DENOMINATED GOLD COINS <#a24>
** ARCHER MARTIN NOBEL PRIZE IN CHEMISTRY  <#a25>
** HOW TO SPOT A ‘SHORT SNORTER’ <#a26>
** NEW NIGERIAN BANKNOTES ENTER CIRCULATION <#a27>
** JAMAICA LAUNCHES NEW BANKNOTES <#a28>
** THE GREAT BOOK DEACCESSION <#a29>
** LOOSE CHANGE: DECEMBER 18, 2022 <#a30>
** INTAGLIO AUTO TITLE PAPER SHORTAGE <#a31>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 18, 2022

Thanks to Hugo Vanhoudt of Belgium for sending a holiday greeting.

This week we open with a special anniversary journal issue, two obituaries,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, numismatic poetry, and more.

Other topics this week include the American Numismatic Association, Virgil Brand, Bauman Belden, the most useful numismatic books, Christmas Club tokens, medallic art, numismatic Halls of Fame, fixed price and auction previews, coin finds from Israel, short snorters, new banknotes, and the great title paper shortage.

To learn more about the Private Cash of Ancient Annam, coin gift Christmas cards, Eldridge Jones, Dick Johnson, Walt Husak, the Numismatic Poets Society, Civil War dog tags,
 Life-Saving medals, the Maroneia Stater, the 1873-CC No Arrows Seated Dime,
the Nobel Prize in Chemistry medal, and coins of the Iconoclasts, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

ORIENTAL NUMISMATIC SOCIETY WINTER 2023

The Winter 2023 issue of the Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society marks the publication's 250th issue and the society's 50th birthday. Editor Dr. Paula Turner passed along this announcement.  Thank you.
-Editor

A Letter from Your Secretary General

Dear ONS members,

It brings me great pleasure to introduce you to this special 50th Anniversary Conference issue of the Society’s journal. This double issue is also fittingly the 250th volume of the journal and its antecedents.

As many of you no doubt remember, the Society celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2020 and the conference was originally scheduled to be held in April of that year. Of course, you all know what happened next. The pandemic forced a postponement to 2021 and then, when the pandemic had not yet abated by April of that year, another postponement to 2022. Early this year, there was still a lot of uncertainty about whether things would open up and permit international travel to take place in earnest. The Council decided not to risk the need for another postponement and opted to commit to hold the conference via Zoom only.

Spread over two half-days, to allow more people worldwide to attend, the Conference was held on 25 and 26 June. It brought together speakers from eight countries and covered a wide range of areas within the purview of the Society. There were two keynote speakers, John Deyell and Dai Jianbing, and ten other speakers. Joe Cribb, who organized the conference, also gave a brief historical retrospective on the Society. All but two of these talks are published here in full; many of them are also available as video recordings on the Society’s YouTube channel. (If you are not already a subscriber, I urge you to subscribe: just search for Oriental Numismatic Society on YouTube).

Pankaj Tandon, Secretary General of the Oriental Numismatic Society

CONTENTS

Letter from Your Secretary General

Pankaj Tandon

Fifty Years of the Oriental Numismatic Society

Joe Cribb

On Attribution: Interpretative challenges in Indo-Sasanian
(and other) coinages

John S. Deyell

Recent Developments in Chinese Numismatics

Dai Jianbing

The Circulation and Use of Bamboo Tallies in Jiangsu Province
with Particular Reference to the Tongcheng Company Issues

François Thierry

Cataloguing the Private Cash of Ancient Annam

François Joyaux

Fresh Light on the Copper Coins of the Vemakis

Amiteshwar Jha

The Evidence of Gold Content for the Attribution of the Coins
in the Name of Candragupta

Pankaj Tandon

>From Bishapur to Vienna: A note on a hoard of late Sasanian drachms

Ehsan Shavarebi

Immobilized Types in Sogdian Coinage: The case of mules between Antiochus imitations and Hyrcodes

Aleksandr Naymark

Mints  and Urban Dynamics: Baghdād, al-Raqqa and other places

Stefan Heidemann

Badshah as the Caliph: Probing caliphal pretensions of the
Mughal rulers of India

Sanjay Garg

A Biography in Banknotes: The life and career of Alfred Joseph Bull, 1876–1950

Richard Morel

Bombay Tolas

Michael  Mitchiner

For more information, see:

https://www.orientalnumismaticsociety.org/

WALTER J. HUSAK (1942-2022)

Pete Smith submitted this note on Large Cent collector Walt Husak, who passed away this week.
-Editor

Walter Joseph Husak (1942-2022)

Walt Husak died late in the afternoon of Thursday, December 15, 2022. Within hours, his friend
Al Boka sent out a notification to other friends and fellow collectors around the country. Soon
tributes were coming in from many of them.

Walter Joseph Husak was born in Chicago on May 27, 1942. His parents were Walter and June
Blake Husak. At the time of the 1950 Census, they were living in Los Angeles with the father
listed as a salesman for a sign company and the mother as a waitress in a restaurant. Later in the 1950’s, Walter was a teller at the Merchants National Bank in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Walt began collecting Lincoln cents and Buffalo nickels when he was twelve. While on a visit to
his grandparents' Iowa farm, he was given a few old coins for doing chores.

A boy’s coin collection may not survive when his interest turns to girls or cars. Walt got married
and had a child. His collection was sold so he could buy a 1957 Triumph sports car. Nine months
later in 1963, with his second child expected, he sold the Triumph to buy a more practical family
car, a 1954 Cadillac convertible.

Walt’s first marriage to Irene Catherine Ferris produced a son, Wally, and daughter, Trina, and
ended in divorce in 1967. With his second marriage to Patricia, he added her children to his
family.

In 1959, Walt began work in the aerospace industry. After working for others for twenty years,
he took a chance with his own business and became successful. Husak had various corporate
interests in the aerospace industry. He is listed as president of W & T Holdings, Inc. (1984); Hk Aerospace, Inc. (1992); and W & M Property Management Corp. (2013).

Walt ran the Los Angeles Marathon six times and finished four times. While on a training run in
1988, he passed a gas station and noticed a familiar car for sale, his old 1954 Cadillac. He bought it a second time and had it restored for pleasure trips in the California wine country.
His drive to collect returned in 1980 when he acquired an 1804 large cent. This casual interest in
large cents grew and he aspired to complete a set of 1793 to 1814 large cents by Sheldon variety.

This would be a total with edge varieties of 302 pieces. He succeeded in getting all but the S-15,
S-79 and S-80. The known examples of those were held in strong hands and not available.
He selected coins in choice condition or coins with great pedigrees or both. Those coins that are
not the finest known were often high in the condition census.

Walt was an excellent photographer who documented his own collection while it was raw. He
also documented raw coins for Alan Weinberg.

Husak was an active participant in Heritage, Goldberg and Stack’s auctions as he was building
his collection. As a good client, they reserved bidder number 94 for him. He returned to Heritage
when it was time to sell. With his collection stalled and real estate debts to pay, he consigned his
collection to Heritage for auction on February 15, 2008. The collection was legitimately
described as the finest collection of early large cents ever offered at public auction.

Heritage produced a colorful forty-page prospectus to create interest in the sale and that interest
brought in collectors from around the country. The auction catalog included 301 lots and 414
pages with a full page devoted to each coin and color photo. Cataloguing was done by Mark
Borckardt with additional commentary by Denis Loring. On the day of the sale the auction room
was packed with 200 potential bidders. The Husak collection was dispersed among 168
successful bidders.

At the sale, two large cents each sold for $632,500. They were lot 2014, a 1793 Liberty Cap cent, S-13, PCGS AU-50, and lot 2050, the finest known Starred Reverse cent, S-48 PCGS AU-50. Lot 2192 was the famous 1799 “Abbey cent” pedigreed back to an 1864 sale of coins of Lorenzo
Abbey. It sold for $161,000. The sale realized about $10.7 million which was about double the
cost to assemble the collection.

After the sale he established the charitable Liberty Cap Foundation. He is listed as CEO with
Martin A. Logies as agent. This presents a virtual museum for his collection.
He was not done collecting but started over specializing in the cents of 1794. By 2022 his was
the finest current collection and third behind Naftzger and Sheldon for historical collections. No
trades with the ANS were required for the formation of his collection.

Walt appeared in an episode of the “Reality” TV show, Pawn Stars, that aired on January 29, 2018. He offered a 1792 half disme for sale identified as the Garrett specimen in a PCGS MS-65
holder. The boys in the shop declined to pay the asking price. A different Garrett, Jeff Garrett
was also called in as an expert.

Viewers of the show may be aware that some of the scenarios are contrived and set up in
advance. Husak did not own the coin at the time. It had been in unsold inventory for Steve
Contursi and Rare Coin Wholesalers.

Following his death, tributes flowed in from friends he had made in the hobby. There was no
unkind word to be said about him.

Chuck Heck writes:

"Walt Husak was born on May 27, 1942 and he passed away this week on December 15. He and I met over a coin at an auction in 1997. Obviously, I was the under-bidder. However, both my wife and I received something much more precious than an addition to the coin collection -- we received an incredible 25 year friendship with Patricia and Walt Husak.

"Friendship is a cool word. It can cover a very broad range of experiences. It was coins that brought us together but it was the love for living a life with joy that defined our times spent together.

"Unfortunately, while in the hospital, his gentle heart simply gave out.

"To a GIANT of a friend, a glass of very old single malt scotch held very, very high."

Jim Neiswinter  writes:

"Walter was one of the nicest people I've ever met. He was a people person who could talk to anyone at any time.  I remember once we were taking a subway uptown from the ANS. Walt started talking with this girl about how he collected large cents. I'm thinking to myself - what are you doing - you never talk to strangers on the subway about what you do. That was Walt. "

 Al Boka writes:

"We have lost a giant.” Such was the common thought woven through the many responses to yesterday’s sad announcement of the passing of our dear friend Walter J. Husak. I, too, share that sentiment and convey my heartfelt condolences to Patricia, Trina and son Wally.

"I first really got to know Walt in April, 1997, when he sweet-talked me out of my prize 1794; the finest known S-40. At the time it was a bit above my scope but, as he was forming what would eventually become the 3rd finest collection of all fifty eight collectible 1794 varieties, well within his. When completed his collection of 1794s scored only slightly behind those of Naftzger and Sheldon.

"After selling his collection in 2008 Walt began slowly working on another; a severe case of the “collecting bug” indeed. Just a few days ago Walt phoned me from an airport in Texas to report acquiring CC-1 of the S-19b. This brought his new collection to within one of completion; needing only the elusive S-18a. This second collection of 1794s contains 23 of the finest known as well as 4 of the finest known available to collectors.

"Walter’s abundant passion for copper was evident in everything he did. He often seemed to me to be like the proverbial “kid in a candy store.” As an anecdotal example I submit this brief story:

"At the EAC convention in West Palm Beach on May 5, 2006, in exchange for an S19a, S59 or S63 I wanted, I proffered an MS60  S-223. I asked for an additional $$ amount in order to “balance the deal”. After a day of haggling the gap between us had narrowed to $2,000. Walt then proposed a “coin toss” resolution which, if he lost, would constitute his agreement to the additional $2,000 and, if he won, would seal the deal on an “even up” basis. A coin (large cent) was flipped onto the carpeted dining room floor of the Marriott Hotel. HEADS it was; Walt had lost. He extended his hand to me and graciously said, “It’s a deal.”

"I will all surely miss this true Legend of the Copper World."

Here's Alan Weinberg's perspective on the grading and photography of Husak's cents in the 2008 Heritage sale, from his August 2007 report in the Milwaukee ANA convention,
-Editor

"The Walt Husak early large cents, to be auctioned by Heritage in
Long Beach next February, 2008 were on display for the first time
in slabs. The coins were in first time, entirely clear, see-through
PCGS slabs and those cents with lettered or decorated rims were in
3 'pronged' entirely clear slabs so their rims are visible and easily
readable. I'm reliably informed that PCGS developed four slab dies
before they came up with exactly what was needed for the Husak coppers.
The result is superb. Hopefully, this type of slab will be adopted
for all future encapsulations - with no more opaque white centers or
unreadable rims.  It's almost like holding the coin in your fingertips.
With this type of slab, I can be persuaded.

"I also had the privilege of seeing part of the Husak catalogue
manuscript largely written by Mark Borckardt with some additional
assistance from Denis Loring. I was impressed. Aside from extensive
pedigree information, most of the large cents are graded four ways
- that is, the PCGS slab grade, the Del Bland grade, the Bill Noyes
grade and the EAC standard grade with both Mark and Denis concurring
on this final grade. Four grades for each coin, a first in any
numismatic catalogue!

"If it sounds confusing having each cent graded four different ways,
it is not. I found the EAC grade with the Borckardt-Loring concurrence
to be almost always 'right on' in my 'hobby oldtimer's' opinion.
Additionally, there was a sale 'prospectus' catalogue with condensed
lot descriptions and a magnificent blue cover picturing in color
some of the cents (Walt Husak's own photography) available at the
Heritage bourse alongside the coppers themselves. This certainly
whetted the appetite.

"I'm informed the lot by lot photography will be Heritage's own. I
frankly prefer Walt's coin photography which is more vivid but taken
at a very slight angle with a shadow at the bottom of each early
copper. The coins look more 'real' in my opinion with the lustre
and surfaces more alive.

"Walt is thinking of a novel proposal: Heritage photographs lot by
lot - straight on images, and Walt's photography in full page plates
of dozens of pennies at one time - two different full color views
of the each large cent in the catalogue. Hopefully, this may fly.

Walt was quite a dedicated collector, one of just three collectors and four dealers physically present for the Stack's Bowers auctions at the height of the Coronavirus pandemic in March 2020.
-Editor

As Pete noted, Walt made an appearance on Pawn Stars with Jeff Garrett.
-Editor

To watch the episode, see:

Pawn Stars: Half Disme Coin and Libertas Americana Medal (Season 15) | History

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTKbcAKbQtU&t=11s)

Here are links to some CoinWeek items on Walt Husak.
-Editor

Walter Husak Talks About the Large Cents Market and Sheldon 37. VIDEO: 2:27

(https://coinweek.com/opinion/market-reports/walter-husak-talks-about-the-large-cents-market-and-sheldon-37-video-227/)

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/the-walter-j-husak-collection-of-large-cents-1793-1814/

(https://coinweek.com/us-coins/the-walter-j-husak-collection-of-large-cents-1793-1814/)

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

ALAN V. WEINBERG'S 2007 MILWAUKEE ANA CONVENTION REVIEW

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v10n33a06.html)

WALTER HUSAK LARGE CENT COLLECTION TO BE SOLD BY HERITAGE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v10n23a23.html)

ARTICLE HIGHLIGHTS WALTER HUSAK CENT COLLECTION

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v11n50a23.html)

AUCTIONS IN A WORLD OF CORONAVIRUS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n12a14.html)

STEWART BLAY (1950-2022)

Last month collector and New York City sculptor Steward Blay passed away.
-Editor

Bob Rhue writes:

"I was once again stunned and deeply saddened by learning of the sudden passing of another of our cohorts, Stuart Blay.

"He was always upbeat and friendly, and open to lively conversation.

"He spent decades pursuing one of his special passions of collecting the finest set of Lincolns cents. Mere weeks before he left us he had consigned his prized collection to Great Collections for auctions that are coming up next month. it seems particularly sad that he will not be here to enjoy the Financial results of all his efforts.
 (It's the very same situation that occurred with The recent passing of our dear friend Jim McGuigan and his famous half cent collection.)

"Something that gives me at least some consolation about Stewart is that I know for sure how much he truly enjoyed his most engaging life. He lived it to the fullest and embraced a number of passions including being a highly skilled marble sculptor. "

Here's an excerpt from a December 1, 2022 Coin World article by Paul Gilkes.
-Editor

New York City sculptor and numismatist Stewart Blay — whose premier Red Copper Collection of Lincoln Cents certified by Professional Coin Grading Service is being offered at auction online by GreatCollections — died unexpectedly Nov. 25 from an undisclosed illness.

Mr. Blay was 71.

Mr. Blay was a fixture at coin shows and conventions across the country in his relentless search to locate and acquire the finest preserved examples of Lincoln cents.

Mr. Blay pursued his artistic talents at his Carving Studio and Sculpture Center.

Mr. Blay started collecting coins at the age of 8.

To read the complete Coin World article, see:

Lincoln cent collector Stewart Blay dies at age 71

(https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/lincoln-cent-collector-stewart-blay-dies-at-age-71)

To read his online obituary and comments, see:

Stewart Blay

(https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/new-york-ny/stewart-blay-11034649)

Blay was interviewed by David Lisot in 2020.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

VIDEO: STEWART BLAY'S INDIAN CENTS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n12a12.html)

A COIN GIFT CHRISTMAS CARD

Newman Numismatic Portal  Project Coordinator Len Augsburger submitted the following holiday item from the NNP image collections.
-Editor

A Gold Noel

The holiday season is a reminder of an old tradition of presenting gold coins as a commemoration of Christmas and other significant occasions. Illustrated here, from the Eclectic Numismatic Treasure collection, is an early 20th century greeting card featuring a cut-out for such a coin. The U.S. Mint correspondence similarly reflects this sentiment, with a disproportionate number of requests for one-dollar pieces coming late in the year.

Typical is a December 10, 1889 request from the Central National Bank in New York to the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia, asking for 50 one-dollar gold pieces “for distribution among the officers of the bank.” Apparently, the rank and file employees failed to meet the cut, even though a one-dollar coin, at the time, would not have been a terribly extravagant holiday bonus. The tradition lives on today, with numerous annual reports of gold coins discovered in Salvation Army donation buckets.

Link to Eclectic Numismatic Treasure Christmas-themed items on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/imagecollection/511173

Link to December 10, 1889 U.S. Mint correspondence from the Central National Bank:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/596140

THE BOOK BAZARRE
AUTHORS AND PUBLISHERS: Are your books carried by Wizard Coin Supply? If not, contact us via www.WizardCoinSupply.com with details.

VIDEO: ELDRIDGE JONES

The David Lisot Video Library on the Newman Numismatic Portal can be found at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

We highlight one of his videos each week in The E-Sylum.
Here's one from 1986 with Eldridge Jones, who served as the Treasurer of the ANA during the era of fundraising for the Colorado Springs headquarters.
A collector since 1941, he joined the ANA in 1947 and attended that year's Buffalo, NY convention. A resident of Hyattsville, MD, he was a collector of National Bank Notes of the Washington D.C. area.
-Editor

ANA Numismatic Personality: Eldridge Jones David Lisot, Interviewer.

To watch the complete video, see:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/557350

CHATGPT AND NUMISMATICS

Last week I had some fun with the new AI chatbot ChatGPT from OpenAI, using it to write poems, marketing blurbs and other things about The E-Sylum.
-Editor

Gosia Fort writes:

"I loved your report on ChatGPT’s work this week. Your light piece was a perfect juxtaposition to the discussion we had at work this weekend over the article from The Atlantic, which sees ChatGPT as the end of the college essay, and it is rather gloomy. It proposes a doomsday scenario of the college education future.

"It was fun  to read! Thank you."

Ken Spindler asked:

"Please report to your audience exactly how long the AI program or software or whatever you accessed took to compose those astonishing and worrisome poems."

I replied:

"The Chatbot takes a second or two to think sometimes, but that's it.  The results come back blindingly fast.   It's only a tool and makes lots of mistakes, but it's a great new tool.  That marketing blurb is so good I'll start using it verbatim."

John Phipps writes:

"After reading, OH E-SYLUM, NUMISMATIC HIVE, and the three poems by ChatGPT, I am wondering if ChatGPT should be eligible for membership in the Numismatic Poets Society?"

I responded:

"Well, robots are people, too, I guess.  But someone has to nominate them, correct?  What is the process?  I can pick one and enter it if people agree it should be eligible.   It may warrant a new category."

Here's John's reply.
-Editor

Well, Wayne, here is the brief history and membership requirements of the NPS.

The Numismatic Poets Society was started in 2012.  A lifetime membership is available to any poet that writes and submits an original numismatic related poem and agrees to let it be distributed to all members. Membership is currently at 10 poets.

I guess the NPS would need a new membership category for ChatGPT. The membership number in this new category should be a base-2 number system. So member #11 would be 1011 in base-2.

I would pass over the Shakespeare attempts and nominate ChatGPT's first effort.  In my role as Editor, I added italics to our publication name.
-Editor

The E-Sylum, a place of knowledge and light,

A treasure trove of numismatic insight.

Here, collectors gather from far and wide,

To share their stories and their passion with pride.

With every issue, a new world to explore,

Filled with fascinating facts and stories galore.

>From ancient coins to modern mints,

The E-Sylum covers all that's relevant.

For those who love the art of the coin,

The E-Sylum is the perfect join.

A community of like-minded individuals,

Coming together to learn and share, it's all so critical.

So here's to The E-Sylum, a source of education and fun,

A place where numismatists can come together as one.

Long may it continue to grow and thrive,

A hub of information and community, alive.

Len Augsbuger wrote, "I tried this – 'Where were the Continental dollars struck?"
-Editor

The Continental dollars were struck at a number of different locations, including Philadelphia, New York, and various other cities throughout the United States. The Continental Congress authorized the production of the Continental dollars in 1776, and they were intended to serve as a national currency for the newly independent United States. However, the coins were never widely adopted and were largely replaced by other forms of currency within a few years of their issuance. Today, Continental dollars are highly prized by collectors due to their historical significance and rarity.

Len adds:

"Quite a few problems here! Oh well, it was worth a try."

The great singer and commentator Tom Lehrer once said, "Life is like a sewer - what you get out if it depends on what you put into it."  Many would agree that the internet is indeed a sewer of falsehoods.  Garbage in, garbage out,   Remember, as good as the output can sometimes be, it's only a clever parrot.  There is no definitive evidence published on the origin of the Continental dollars, and even if there were it would be overwhelmed by the quantity of speculation and often conflicting evidence and opinion published to date.  The system uses statistical models to mimic human-generated prose based on the relative occurrence and positioning of words in the training data.

It did a masterly job on the marketing blurb for The E-Sylum, and like I said we'll probably start using it.   Len knew what he was doing, but I pity the fool who takes ChatGPT's words for facts.  Or coin buyers who absorb lot descriptions not realizing they were written by a chatbot.

If you're interacting with ChatGPT, you can help train it.  There are "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" icons shown with each result.   When I asked "Who designed the Fugio Cent?", I got this initial result.
-Editor

The Fugio Cent, also known as the "Fugio Penny," was designed by Benjamin Franklin. It was the first official one-cent coin issued by the United States government, and it was produced in 1787. The coin depicts a sundial on one side with the motto "FUGIO" (Latin for "I flee"), which was intended to remind people of the fleeting nature of time and the importance of making the most of it. On the other side, the coin bears the inscription "MIND YOUR BUSINESS," which was meant to encourage people to focus on their own affairs rather than those of others. The Fugio Cent was produced until 1789, when it was replaced by the one-cent coin featuring Lady Liberty that is still in circulation today.

I counted at least four things wrong with this response, and gave it a thumbs down.  The system prompted for "What would the ideal answer have been?"  Here's what I told it, taking cues from our recent discussion about Wikipedia.
-Editor

The Fugio Cent, also known as the "Franklin Cent" was by some accounts designed by Benjamin Franklin. It was the first official one-cent coin issued by the United States government, and it was produced in 1787. The coin depicts a sundial on one side with the motto "FUGIO" (Latin for "I flee"), which was intended to remind people of the fleeting nature of time and the importance of making the most of it. On the other side, the coin bears the inscription "MIND YOUR BUSINESS," which was meant to encourage people to focus on their own affairs rather than those of others.

So, to paraphrase the takeaway from our Wikipedia discussion, "If you see something that's wrong in ChatGPT, TRAIN IT !!!"  But we must still work on the "garbage in" part, and continue to correct numismatic mistakes on high-profile internet sites like Wikipedia, since this is where ChatGPT picks up its basic content.  Maybe a future version will give higher weight to the words it finds on the recently improved Wikipedia page.

This article by Erik Hoel is a great summary of what's good and bad about the technology.
-Editor

Despite being the culmination of a century-long dream, no better word describes the much-discussed output of OpenAI’s ChatGPT than the colloquial “mid.”

I understand that this may be seen as downplaying its achievement. As those who’ve been paying attention to this space can attest, ChatGPT is by far the most impressive AI the public has had access to. It can basically pass the Turing test—conversationally, it acts much like a human. These new changes are from it having been given a lot of feedback and tutoring by humans themselves. ChatGPT was created by taking the original GPT-3 model and fine-tuning it on human ratings of its responses, e.g., OpenAI had humans interact with GPT-3, its base model, then rate how satisfied they were with the answer. ChatGPT’s connections were then shifted to give more weight to the ones that were important for producing human-pleasing answers.

All to say: ChatGPT is impressive because it passes what we care about when it comes to the Turing test. And anyone who has spent time with ChatGPT feels intuitively that a milestone has been passed—if not the letter of Turing’s test, its spirit has certainly been conquered.

A century-long dream. . .

Yet my reaction is one of disappointment. Just as Hannah Arendt reckoned with “the banality of evil” so we must reckon with “the banality of AI.” For when talking to ChatGPT I was undeniably, completely, unchangeably, bored.

To read the complete article, see:

The banality of ChatGPT

(https://erikhoel.substack.com/p/the-banality-of-chatgpt)

For more background on OpenAI and its founders (subscription required), see:

ChatGPT Creator OpenAI Pushes New Strategy to Gain Artificial Intelligence Edge

(https://www.wsj.com/articles/chatgpt-creator-openai-pushes-new-strategy-to-gain-artificial-intelligence-edge-11671378475)

To read the complete Atlantic article (subscription required), see:

The College Essay Is Dead

(https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/12/chatgpt-ai-writing-college-student-essays/672371/)

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NUMISMATIC POETS SOCIETY AWARD

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n16a22.html)

RESPONSE TO THE "FRANKLIN CENT" ARTICLE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n48a11.html)

OH E-SYLUM, NUMISMATIC HIVE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n50a12.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 18, 2022

 Coinarama's Edgerton and Lenker Best of Show Awards
Ken Spindler of San Diego writes:

"In addition to Kay Lenker's many previously enumerated accolades, since 2005, the San Diego Coinarama coin show's Best of Show Award for competitive exhibits, which are a feature of that event, has been named in honor of Kay."

Edgerton (1978-2004) and Lenker (2005-2018) Plates

Ken provided a photo of the 2005-2018  award plate, which he sponsors.  It is named for Kay across the top.  From 1978-2004, Kay sponsored a more ornate Coinarama Best of Show silver award plate, named for her first husband, Stuart T. Edgerton.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY, KAY LENKER!

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n49a20.html)

 On Dick Johnson's Legacy

Readers commented on our excerpts from Dick Johnson's  Encyclopedia of Coin and Medal Terminology.
-Editor

Chester Sullivan  writes:

"I really do like how you print excerpts from D. Wayne Johnson's Encyclopedia.  I never met him in person but I bought a copy of his book and got a lot out of it.  We spoke on the phone and corresponded in writing.  Keep showing the world selections of his good work!"

Ben Weiss writes:

"I think it is great that you are including the entries of Dick Johnson's Encyclopedia of Coin and Medal Terminology in The E-Sylum, not only for their educational value but also as a tribute to Dick."

Mashiko writes:

"Finding Dick Johnson’s introduction of the medallic art is appreciated as a promoter of the medallic art."

Dick's widow Shirley Johnson adds:

"That was his desire:  to provide information to collectors about numismatic terms that they might not have access to or understand."

Indeed.  Dick was always open and sharing with his research and thinking.  He was an early, regular, enthusiastic contributor to The E-Sylum.  My inbox isn't the same without his regular contributions.

I fondly remember my visit with sculptor and medallist Mashiko at her Manhattan studio.  At the time she was already planning a move across the river, and the move was completed in October.  Her Medialia Gallery will reopen by appointment in the late spring of 2023 at 263 New York Avenue, Jersey City, NY 07307.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: APRIL 21, 2019

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n16a25.html)

MEDIALIA GALLERY VISIT

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n16a26.html)

VOCABULARY TERM: MEDALIST, MEDALLIST

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n50a13.html)

 On David Lisot
Bob Rhue  writes:

"David unselfishly, and always with grace and happiness, gave so much back to our industry by memorializing people and events for decades with his video interviews. They invariably portrayed the very definition of who he was, someone totally present in the moment and someone with lots of intelligent questions and almost childlike curiosity.

"When I saw him it shows we always spent a few minutes just catching up with what's important in our lives at the moment. I will always value and miss those memorable connections I had with a truly beautiful and genuine soul."

David was indeed a beautiful and genuine soul, always smiling and happy to help in any way possible.  He is sorely missed.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

DAVID LISOT (1953-2022)

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n43a08.html)

 On Robert Hoge at the ANA and Beyond
Former American Numismatic Association Executive Director
Bob Leuver writes:

"It was nice to see Bob Hoge’s note on David Lisot's interview of Dan Brown. Bob himself, is one of the greats of US Numismatics. When Bob left the Curator's position at ANA, we lost a numismatic star who rivaled two other (ANA) extraordinary numismatists, Ken Bressett, he of Red Book fame, and Ed Rochette. Bob's fame grew when he was a curator of note at ANS. Ken was rightly honored by ANS with a black-tie dinner. And Ed has the ANA museum named after him. Lest we forget and recognize those who tilled the fields of numismatics."

Amen!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

DAN BROWN AND THE 1964-D PEACE DOLLARS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n50a09.html)

 The Apocryphal 1964-D Peace Dollar
Regarding the 1964-D Peace dollar story,