The E-Sylum v25n27 July 3, 2022

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jul 3 19:03:14 PDT 2022

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 25, Number 27, July 3, 2022
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JULY 3, 2022 <#a01>
** NEW BOOK: WILLIAM WYON <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: CHINESE NUMISMATICS <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: BAHMANI SULTANS THROUGH COINS <#a04>
** ORIENTAL NUMISMATIC SOCIETY SUMMER 2022 <#a05>
** NUMISMATIC DISCOVERY CART ENGAGES VISITORS <#a06>
** FRANKLIN MINT’S MEDALLIC HISTORY OF THE U.S. <#a07>
** VIDEO: 2021 FUN SUMMER CONVENTION <#a08>
** AUDIO: TWO NEW EPISODES OF THE PLANCHET  <#a09>
** ANS WELCOMES LIBRARY STAFF <#a10>
** MORE ON THE NEBRASKA CENTENNIAL MEDAL <#a11>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JULY 3, 2022 <#a12>
** PHOTOS: DULUTH COIN FIND, HOUSTON ANA DEALERS <#a13>
** STACK’S BOWERS OPENS BOSTON GALLERY <#a14>
** VOCABULARY TERM: KEY TAG MEDAL <#a15>
** JACK H. ROBINSON (1941-2021) <#a16>
** DON TAXAY’S GREAT TRADE <#a17>
** PRATT GALLERY SHOWCASES MONEY AND MEDALS <#a18>
** RIJKSMUSEUM LIBRARY NUMISMATIC EXHIBIT <#a19>
** STEPHEN ALBUM RARE COINS AUCTION 43 RESULTS <#a20>
** THE 2022 RCNA AUCTION <#a21>
** 2022 RCNA AUCTION SELECTIONS <#a22>
** ROSA AMERICANA FIXED PRICE LIST #23 SELECTIONS <#a23>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: JULY 3, 2022 <#a24>
** THREE EID MAR COINS IN CHICAGO <#a25>
** ROMAN GOLD COIN HOARD FOUND NEAR NORWICH <#a26>
** THE CURIOUS BRAMHALL LINCOLN TOKEN <#a27>
** SIR EDWARD THOMASON’S SCIENTIFIC MEDALS <#a28>
** $103.5 MILLION NOBEL PRIZE MEDAL SALE <#a29>
** STOCKHOLM UNIVERSITY MEDALS <#a30>
** WORLD BANKNOTE OFFERS DISNEY DOLLARS <#a31>
** SIERRA LEONE SLASHES 'ZEROS OF SHAME' <#a32>
** RUSSIA SANCTIONS DELAY 100 ROUBLE BANKNOTE <#a33>
** DON'T FOLD THOSE NEW POLYMER NOTES <#a34>
** LOOSE CHANGE: JULY 3, 2022 <#a35>
** AUSTRALIAN COIN NOODLING <#a36>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JULY 3, 2022

New subscribers this week include:
Dr. Harvey Richer, courtesy Darryl Atchison.
Welcome aboard!

This week we open with three new books and a new periodical issue,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal and the American Numismatic Society, and more.

Other topics this week include engraver William Wyon, the Nebraska Centennial medal, a Duluth coin hoard find, key tag medals, Jack Robinson, Don Taxay, numismatic museum exhibits, auction previews, Sir Edward Thomason's medals, Disney Dollars, zeros of shame, and Australian coin noodling.

To learn more about Chinese numismatics, Parthian coins and culture,
 the Smithsonian Discovery Cart, the Franklin Mint’s Medallic History of the United States, the Bank Note cigar label, Copper Quotes by Robinson, The Great Trade, the silver Naseby Cup, Salvador Dali's Israel Peace medal, phrenology, and the the $103.5 million medal, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: WILLIAM WYON

This week I learned about an upcoming book by Mark Jones about master engraver William Wyon.
It's available for preorder on various websites, but I was unable to find anything yet on the site of the publisher SPINK.  Here's the Overview from Barnes and Noble.
-Editor

Chief Engraver at the Royal Mint and the leading medallist of his time, William Wyon RA (1795-1851) produced some of the best known and most widely distributed images ever made. His portraits of the young Queen Victoria on the coinage, used throughout the British empire, and the more regal head used for the first postage stamps, the penny red and two penny blue, were reproduced in their millions and distributed all around the globe. A highly regarded modeller in low relief, known and admired for the classical purity of his compositions and the accomplishment of their execution, Wyon was celebrated as a British artist who more than rivalled his continental competitors, favored by royalty and by many of the most prominent and influential figures of his time. The book aims to understand how and why Wyon’s work was commissioned and how it was received, using institutional archives, contemporary correspondence, and reminiscence, and the popular press, to create a rounded picture
  of the life, work, networks, influence, and impact of an artist who was also an entrepreneur on his own account and a public servant at the heart of the establishment.

Wyon’s career began with a major contribution to the execution of the monetary reform that created a new and widely respected coinage which underpinned and symbolized the global growth of the British economy. The medals, which he made throughout his career, reflect their time: commissioned to celebrate and reward the scientific and technological progress, the improvements in education and agriculture, the literary and artistic achievements, the passion for making things better, and recognizing and encouraging those who did, that characterized Wyon’s contemporaries.

Almost every major figure of the age is here, from Prince Albert and Queen Victoria, to Palmerston, Peel, Wellington, and Gladstone; from Maria II of Portugal and Mrs Sweetenham Waters to Sir Joseph Banks, Sir Walter Scott, Sir John Soane, and Thomas Telford. And yet the prosperity that enabled his patrons to commission Wyon’s work, often came from the profits derived from the long hours and appalling conditions of industrializing Britain, from enslaved labor in the West Indies and from imperial aggression in India and the Far East. Late in his career it was Wyon who was commissioned to create the military and naval medals that recognized and rewarded the service of those who had fought in the Napoleonic wars; of those who had played a part in the establishment of British rule in India, and those who fought in contemporary wars in Afghanistan, India, and Burma, and to force opium on China: medals which, despite moments of revulsion in parliament and the press, reflected pri
 de in Britain's growing empire.

Wyon’s work throws new light on the attitudes and networks that lay behind official commemoration at a time of ebullient energy and rapid change and holds a hitherto unexamined mirror to the British establishment in the first half of the nineteenth century. The close interrogation of things, of obstinate objects which insist on remaining themselves, provides us with an image which manages to be both arcane and popular, utterly conventional and intriguingly unexpected.

Product Details

ISBN-13:	9781912667796

Publisher:	Spink & Son, Ltd

Publication date:	09/13/2022

Pages:	400

Product dimensions:	8.20(w) x 11.60(h) x (d)

For more information, or to order, see:

William Wyon
by Mark Jones

(https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/william-wyon-mark-jones/1140030086)

William Wyon Hardcover – August 30, 2022

(https://www.amazon.com/William-Wyon-Mark-Jones/dp/1912667797)

https://spinkbooks.com/

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 A PENNY SAVED,
Kenneth Bressett’s memoir of “R.S. Yeoman and His Remarkable Red Book,” also tells the history of Whitman Publishing as well as his own unique life story in and out of numismatics. Enjoy more than 100 years of fascinating numismatic history in 352 richly illustrated pages, 8.5 x 11 inches, hardcover. Order your copy online
at
Whitman.com
, or call 1-800-546-2995.

NEW BOOK: CHINESE NUMISMATICS

SPINK has published a new book on Chinese Numismatics by Helen Wang, François Thierry and  Lyce Jankowski.
-Editor

This is the first book to explore the history of the field of Chinese numismatics from both Eastern and Western perspectives.  Consisting of four papers that complement each other beautifully, it gives a sound introduction to the study of Chinese numismatics, focusing on the 19th century and, crucially, how to think about Chinese money.

In Currencies of Ancient China from their Origins to the Late Empire, François Thierry notes how Europeans sometimes understood Chinese money and sometimes got it completely wrong. In Numismatic Friendship: Social Networks of Numismatists and Coin Collectors During the Late Qing Dynasty, Lyce Jankowski opens up the world of Chinese collectors of Chinese coins, their networks and motivations. In A Short History of Chinese Numismatics in Western Languages, Helen Wang surveys publications to 1900, giving information about the authors, their occupations, motivations and areas of interest; and in Chinese Money Matters, So Why Does It Have Such a Low Profile? she looks at the current situation, and offers routes into the field. In his Introduction, Joe Cribb reflects on his study of Chinese money and how it has informed his career in numismatics.

Chinese Numismatics: the World of Chinese Money

by Helen Wang, François Thierry and  Lyce Jankowski

Hardback, with colour illustrations throughout

216 x 138mm

176 pages

£30.00

For more information, or to order, see:

Chinese Numismatics: the World of Chinese Money HELEN WANG, François THIERRY & LYCE JANKOWSKI WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY JOE

(https://spinkbooks.com/products/chinese-numismatics-the-world-of-chinese-money-helen-wang-francois-thierry-lyce-jankowski-with-an-introduction-by-joe)

NEW BOOK: BAHMANI SULTANS THROUGH COINS

An article in The Hindu announces a new book on coins of the Bahmani Sultans from the 14th to 16th centuries.
-Editor

The Gulbarga Bahmani Numismatics Research and Educational Trust recently published a book titled ‘A Legacy of Bahmani Sultans through coins’ authored by Numismatist Mohammad Ismail in which he depicts the numismatic journey of Bahmani Sultans through his collections.

The book traces the journey of coins belonging to all the 18 Bahmani Sultans starting from Alauddin Hasan Bahman Shah (1347-58), till the last Sultan - Kalimullah Shah (1526-1538). Mr. Ismail has meticulously worked, richly illustrated, about each coin issued during Bahmani Sultans period.

Mr. Ismail has got a rare treasure of antique coinage, belonging to Bahmani Sultans from 14th Century to 16th Century. The numismatist has more than 2,500 coins in his collection of various rulers, dynasties and kingdoms. Among his treasury are also coins dating back to 1,600 years ago.

The numismatist also organises a campaign “Save Coin Save Heritage.” The objective of this campaign is to spread awareness about ancient coins at schools and to take forward the legacy to younger generations.

Speaking to The Hindu, the numismatist explained the legacy of Bahmani Sultans and displayed a collection of nearly 80 copper coins issued in one year period between 1378-1379, and said that all the four Sultans including Dawood Shah-I, Muhammad Shah-II, Ghiyasuddin Tahmathan Shah, Shamshuddin Dawood Shah–II (4th, 5th, 6th and 7th sultans, respectively), have ruled for less than a year. His collection has got nearly 500 coins issued during Tajuddin Firoz Shah (8th Bahmani sultan), followed by 400 coins of Muhammad Shah-I (the second Bahmani sultan), and 300 coins of Kalimullah Shah (18th Bahmani sultan) Period.

Some of the rarest coins in his collections are of Tahmatun Shah, Dawood Shah, Ahmed Shah III, Muhammad Shah IV and Mujahidin Shah. Mr. Ismail’s rare collection includes 10 copper and one gold and silver coin minted during the Tahmatan Shah period. It took him eight years to find those coins. His collection also includes the rare gold and silver coins of Ahmed Shah II and Mujahidin Shah.

To read the complete article, see:

Numismatist tells legacy of Bahmani Sultans through coins

(https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/numismatist-tells-legacy-of-bahmani-sultans-through-coins/article65592779.ece)

ORIENTAL NUMISMATIC SOCIETY SUMMER 2022

Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society Editor Dr. Paula Turner submitted this information about the Summer 2022 issue.  Thank you!
-Editor

CONTENTS:

A Letter from Your Secretary General

Pankaj Tandon

Note from Your New Editor

Paula Turner

Audumbara Coins with New Features and Disposition of Legends

 Devendra Handa

A Hoard Parcel of Late Kushan Gold Dinars

 Joe Cribb and K. K. Maheshwari

New Gold Coins of the Paramāra King Jagadeva

 Deme Raja Reddy

A Preliminary and Metallurgical Study on the Chola, Chinese
and Venad coins from Thankasseri, Kollam

 Hari Sankar B. and Sarath Chandra Babu

ONS News

   	North America Meeting 15 January 2022

   	Europe Meeting 7 May 2022

Book reviews

Zhong guo xi zang qian bi tu lu

[Illustrated catalogue of the currency
of Tibet, China]

by Yin Zhengmin

Hunnic Peoples in Central and South Asia: Sources for their origin
and history, edited by Dániel Balogh

The Alkhan: A Hunnic people in South Asia

by Hans T. Bakker

Rivalling Rome: Parthian coins and culture

by V. Curtis and A. Magub

Guqian jipin [Exceptional Rarities among the Ancient Coins

by Huo Hongwei [in Chinese]

A Letter from Your Secretary General

Dear ONS members,

In mid-March, I sent out a message to all members for whom we had an email address. This message will repeat some of the same information, so that I can reach all members, but it will also update my earlier message. Before I continue, however, I would like to appeal to those of you who have not yet furnished your regional secretary with your email address to please do so without delay. Not only can the Society communicate quickly and easily with you via email, but we will also be able to inform you of upcoming meetings, many if not all of which will be accessible to you by Zoom.

My first very pleasant task is to welcome the new editor of the journal, Dr Paula Turner. Paula has been a member of the Society for over forty years and has had a lifelong fascination with ancient history and archaeology, which led to her PhD research into the Roman trade with India. She published part of this research in her book, Roman Coins from India, published jointly by the Institute of Archaeology and the Royal Numismatic Society in 1989 and she is currently preparing an updated edition of this. She has spent her working career in academic publishing and, in addition, has taught Latin and Classical Greek for many years. Please join me in welcoming Paula to her new role.

I would like to invite you to submit articles for possible publication in JONS. Articles can be full-length research papers or shorter contributions pointing to new discoveries or to interesting coins. We are also looking for book reviews; if you would like to see a book reviewed, please recommend it. Finally, we are thinking of starting a Letters to the Editor section in the journal. Send your contributions, letters or queries to Paula at onseditor at gmail.com. Also, if you submitted a paper earlier and it has not yet been published, please re-submit it to Paula in case it has been misplaced or lost.

With Paula’s assumption of the editorship, we can expect the journal to return to regular publication every three months and to expand again closer to the size it had attained under Stan Goron. You will find Paula to be responsive to your communications and can look forward to a much improved journal.

The Society plans to embark on a major new initiative: the creation of a website that would have the long-term goal of cataloguing all the coins and paper currency within the purview of the ONS. The site would afford members the opportunity to upload images and details of coins in their collections (whether anonymously or not, at the member’s discretion) and would display the coins in a logical, pleasing manner for the visitor. The site could become not only a catalogue but also a database for researchers. I would also love to see it use pattern recognition technology to permit a visitor to upload images of a coin and request its identification. Finally, I envision a site which will also be a virtual museum, where visitors can browse the catalogue the way they might wander through a museum.

Initial response to this idea has been enthusiastic. Many of you wrote to me pointing out that the website Zeno.ru already does much of this. Of course, I am very aware of Zeno and use it regularly for my own research. I spoke to Vladimir Belyaev in February and we have agreed to work together. But this is not a project that can be accomplished in a couple of months. So stay tuned and be patient. I will try to keep you informed of our progress. If you have specific thoughts about and ideas on how to implement this vision, please write to me at secgen.ons at gmail.com.

I would also like to invite you to write to me at the same email address (secgen.ons at gmail.com) any time with your ideas on ways in which the Society can better serve your needs.

With warm regards,

Pankaj Tandon

That's great news about the planned website.  Good luck with the project!
-Editor

NUMISMATIC DISCOVERY CART ENGAGES VISITORS

Newman Numismatic Portal Project Coordinator Len Augsburger attended the opening of the National Numismatic Collection's newest exhibit and provided the following report.
-Editor

National Numismatic Collection Engages Visitors

While attending the opening of the Really BIG Money exhibit at the Smithsonian on June 8, I could not help but take notice of the “Discovery Cart” parked nearby the entrance of the Value of Money exhibit in the National Museum of American History. Staffed by volunteers, the “Discovery Cart” challenges passers-by to sort genuine and fake numismatic objects, including coins and paper money.

The cart was constantly surrounded by a good number of visitors and the back-and-forth with the volunteer was lively. While there are any number of numismatic non-profits worthy of our support, the high level of numismatic engagement with the public in this case deserves mention.

Great idea. Please consider donating, and if you live in the area, consider becoming a volunteer.  A worthy effort!
-Editor

Link to donate to the National Numismatic Collection:

https://amhistory.si.edu/donate/numismatics/

Link to the National Numismatic Collection online catalog:

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/object-groups/national-numismatic-collection

FRANKLIN MINT’S MEDALLIC HISTORY OF THE U.S.

Newman Numismatic Portal Project Coordinator Len Augsburger also submitted this from NNP intern Kellen Hoard.
-Editor

The Franklin Mint’s Medallic History of the United States

NNP intern Kellen Hoard reports on the Franklin Mint’s Medallic History of the United States medal series:

As I arrived home in Seattle on Thursday from the ANA Summer Seminar, I was greeted by fireworks being set off throughout my neighborhood—five days early—by those eager to celebrate Independence Day and show birds who is boss.  This premature celebration occurs every year, and though some near me welcome it and some despise it, I take it as an opportunity to begin my reflection on the state of the nation a few days early.  Amidst the celebration, I look to consider what I feel the values of the United States should be, whether we are collectively living up those values, and how I can play a better role in contributing to the country moving in the direction I believe it should.

But for numismatists such as ourselves, the booming of fireworks are not the sole catalysts for reflection on subjects such as these.  While collecting, I find myself continually encountering tangible manifestations of how this country and its citizens wished to represent themselves over the centuries.  From early American paper money to Civil War tokens to Congressional medals modern commemorative coins, it is possible to see how different Americans through time viewed their own country and what its ideals should be.  We seem to be particularly honest about our perspectives on and values for our nation when it is on our money and exonumia.  I find it, personally, fascinating.

In the course of my work with the Newman Numismatic Portal this summer, I came across an interesting photo which returned my attention to this idea of sharing our American values through numismatic objects.  The image was of a Franklin Mint set titled “Medallic History of the United States,” which contained 200 silver medals that purportedly featured the major events of each year between the Declaration of Independence and the Bicentennial on their obverse and reverse.  Immediately, my curiosity was piqued by which events were deemed worthy by the Franklin Mint for these medals, and how the definition of “major event” could vary wildly depending on the Mint’s perspective on American progress.

The events featured vary wildly, from the 1777 adoption of the Articles of Confederation to the 1869 “Black Friday” panic to the 1904 first pitch of Cy Young to the 1965 Northeastern blackouts to the 1973 Vietnam War ceasefire.  At first glance, there seems to be almost no pattern.  But when observing the hundreds of events listed, it became clear that a trend did exist.  It was a trend of consistent setbacks for our nation—British invasions, slave importations, ill-advised conflicts, terrible laws—paired with instances of genuine American dedication to overcome those setbacks, including American international cooperation, the Emancipation Proclamation, the organization of movement against war, and the passage of superceding and progressive legislation.

The Franklin Mint series did not hold back on including some of the worst, most embarrassing, most devastating moments in our country’s history.  But the Mint also demonstrated the power of Americans to address those flaws and those mistakes when there is the willpower to do so.  It drew a 200-year picture, numismatically, of the progress we have made—and room for progress we can still make.  As we approach July 4, I think it is worth it for us to take a lesson (for probably the only time) from the Franklin Mint, and reflect on the history our nation, good and bad, so that we might determine a path forward that addresses its flaws, celebrates its achievements, and improves our path forward in perpetuity.

That's exactly the sentiment I take from the phrase "to form a more perfect Union" in the Preamble of the U.S. Constitution.  It will never be perfect in everyone's mind, but collectively we argue and fight over imperfections real and perceived in order to make things better than before.  Happy holiday, fellow citizens.
-Editor

Image: The Newman set of Medallic History of the United States

Link to Eric P. Newman’s set of the Medallic History of the United States series:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/20th-century-tokens-and-medals/franklin-mint-s-sterling-silver-medallic-history-of-the-united-states/a/1283-15057.s

VIDEO: 2021 FUN SUMMER CONVENTION

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's one from last year's Summer FUN show.
-Editor

Amazing Numismatic Walkabout at the FUN Summer Convention 2021.

July 8-10, 2021.

David Lisot, Interviewer, CoinTelevision.com

23:26

In 2021 after being shut down by the coronavirus for more than a year and a half the Florida United Numismatists were able to hold a coin convention. David Lisot hosts and talks to bourse chairman, Cindy Wibker, as she describes what was involved putting on the show. He interviews Bernard von NotHaus about the story of the new Liberty Dollar and the book that explains the history of how and why it was created. He talks to John Miller of CONECA who shows error coins, Jack Alexander about 1795 coinage, Curtis White who helped recover the Atocha sunken treasure and more exciting coin stories.

David adds:

"If you have never been to a Florida United Numismatists Coin Convention this video will give you a taste of all of what you might expect to experience. The FUN Summer Convention is usually held in July and is about a third the size of the January show with just under 300 tables. Last year the 2021 convention had collectors and dealers coming out for the first time as the threat of  COVID was diminishing. I talked to all kinds of numismatic folks and heard some great coin stories. Summer FUN is this week in Orlando July 7-9, 2022. If you want a great numismatic experience with lots of business, buying and selling, educational seminars and camaraderie you might want to attend a FUN Convention!"

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://youtu.be/TpGqmuDOBCM

AUDIO: TWO NEW EPISODES OF THE PLANCHET

Two new episodes of the American Numismatic Society podcast The Planchet have been released.
-Editor

 Len Augsburger and the Newman Numismatic Portal
Season 3 of The Planchet podcast continues with a conversation with Len Augsburger, Executive Director of the Newman Numismatic Portal. In this episode, we talk about Len’s numismatic trajectory, how he met Eric P. Newman, the origin story of the Newman Numismatic Portal, how to use the NNP, and what’s coming next.

Total Time: 39 minutes

For more information, or to listen:

S3, Ep. 2. Len Augsburger and the Newman Numismatic Portal

(https://numismatics.org/pocketchange/03-02/)

 2022 Eric P. Newman Graduate Summer Seminar
After a two-year hiatus because of COVID-19, the Eric P. Newman Graduate Summer Seminar in Numismatics returned in 2022 for in-person instruction and research. This edition of the Planchet contains brief conversations with Seminar director Peter van Alfen and visiting professor Jérôme Jambu, plus the cohort of five Seminar students from American University, the University of Chicago, the University of Southern California, the University of Texas at Austin, and Yale University.

Total Time: 35 minutes

For more information, or to listen:

S3, Ep. 3. Conversations at the 2022 Eric P. Newman Graduate Summer Seminar in Numismatics

(https://numismatics.org/pocketchange/03-03/)

ANS WELCOMES LIBRARY STAFF

One new staffer and two interns have begun working at the library of the American Numismatic Society in New York.  These reports were published in the July 2022 issue of the ANS eNews.  Great news!
-Editor

 Library Assistant and Cataloger Jared Goldfarb

In June, Jared Goldfarb joined our staff as Library Assistant and Cataloger. Jared first came to the ANS in early 2019 as a volunteer, having been referred by one of his professors at Binghamton University, Dr. Nathanael Andrade, a graduate of the ANS’s Summer Seminar. Jared majored in history and classical studies as an undergraduate and decided to attend library school after working here in the Library, completing his masters in May and at the same time finishing a separate masters in history. During his three years as a volunteer, Jared cataloged a full range of materials, including various specialized items, such as 18th century French pamphlets and small collections of archival materials, and so he was able to step seamlessly into his new position.

 Intern Jacob Rosenzweig

Jacob Rosenzweig, who just completed his sophomore year at Duke University, where he is studying classical languages and political science, has been organizing the seal and gem portion of our Michael Shubin archival collection, sorting through thousands of images and photographing object impressions for eventual upload to our archival database.

 Intern Deborah Hanyang Chen

Deborah Hanyang Chen, a New York University student and classics major, continues the ongoing project of cataloging nineteenth- and early twentieth-century books in our Reilly East Asian collection, creating records in English and pinyin and rendering the titles and names in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters.

For more information on the ANS Library, see:

The Harry W. Bass Jr. Library

(https://numismatics.org/basslibrary/)

MORE ON THE NEBRASKA CENTENNIAL MEDAL

We recently discussed a Nebraska state anniversary medal.  Jan Monroe passed along this chapter on the subject from his upcoming book on state anniversary numismatics.  Thanks!  Jan notes that "This information was also developed by John Veach of Lincoln, Nebraska. He assisted me with my research."
-Editor

The designer, David W. Seyler described the symbolism of the design as follows:

"The obverse side symbolizes Nebraska from east to west. The pioneer tree planter planting a
cottonwood tree honors Arbor Day, which originated in Nebraska. On the branch of the tree is a
Meadowlark, the state bird. Beneath the tree is native prairie grass, typical of the Nebraska
plains. In the center right is the cabin at the Homestead National Monument, the first homestead
cabin in the west. Towering above the cabin is the American Elm.On the left of the medal by the
right foot of the tree planter is the Goldenrod, the state flower. Above the state flower on an
open range is a herd of cattle. Here, too, the Platte River winds into the distant sandhills. On the
horizon, beyond the sandhills is Chimney Rock, a famous western Nebraska landmark and now
also a National Monument. The two monuments connect west with east. The arrowheads
circling the medal honor the Indians part in our state’s history.The reverse side features the state
capitol building, standing alone before an endless sea of grass, prairie, sandhills, and bluffs
stretching westward. In the sky are windswept clouds typical of the plains country. In the
foreground is a quotation from Walt Whitman's “Leaves of Grass” selected as being most apropos
of Nebraska's potential.The border radiates out like the points of a compass toward the many
futures of the state inscribed on the outermost border. The ever-present life-giving Nebraska sun
is featured on both sides of the medal. On the obverse it touches the golden throat of the
Meadowlark, a symbol of beauty and song. On the reverse, it extends down into the chambers of
the Legislature."

Obv. In the lower left of center is a pioneer with a shovel digging around a tree. A cabin is shown to
the right rear with large trees surrounding it and with rays of sunshine from a large sun in the upper
left quadrant. At the top around are the words HONOR TO OUR HERITAGE. Below around are the
words DEDICATION TO OUR FUTURE. To the left around is the date 1867 and to right around is the
date 1967. A border of arrowheads separates the center of the medal from the words.

Rev. In the
center is a low frontal view of the state capitol building. The sun illuminates the building from the
upper left with clouds behind. Below in exergue are the words IN THIS BROAD EARTH OF OURS
/...ENCLOSED AND SAFE WITHIN / ITS CENTRAL HEART NESTLES / THE SEED PERFECTION. Around the
center are the following words AGRICULTURE / SCIENCE / LABOR / RECREATION / INDUSTRY / THE
ARTS / EDUCATION / COMMERCE.

Nebraska Statehood Centennial Medal, 1967 (Medallic Art Company)

(1966-004) NE-1967-2

**Note: A
two-piece proof set, limited to five hundred sets, was issued for the price of $37.50. The medals are
in a white acrylic holder like the state of Nebraska. Only 100 sets were available for out of state
buyers.

*Edge marked .999+ PURE SILVER and serially numbered.**Edge marked MEDALLIC ART CO. NY.
BRONZE***A total of 37 platinum medals were offered but only ten were struck. Of the ten, just
eight were sold and the remaining two were returned to the Medallic Art Company for melting. Edge
marked MEDALLIC ART CO, NY. PLATINUM. The Platinum medals were individually serially numbered.
One of the Platinum medals is in the Nebraska Historical Society collection.

Prices listed were for mail order. The medals could be purchased for slightly less at local banks.

Re-dedication Plaque, 1967

A special plaque was also made by the Medallic Art Company for the re-dedication of the
State Capitol Building in Lincoln. This plaque used the same design as the official medals
above. The bronze reproductions are 12 inches in diameter. The plaque has an information
plate engraved at the bottom that reads as follows:

REDEDICATION

NEBRASKA STATE CAPITOL BUILDING

PRESENTED BY

THE NEBRASKA CENTENNIAL COMMISSION

JUNE 14, 1967

REPLICAS OF THE SCULPTOR’S ORIGINAL MODELS FOR

THE OFFICIAL CENTENNIAL MEDAL

PROFESSOR DAVID W. SEYLER, SCULPTOR

Jan adds:

"The book is a catalog of state anniversary exonumia for all 50 states and the US territories.  The tentative title is Official and Semi-Official State Anniversary Exonumia.  The scope includes US Government medals.  It doesn’t include city or county anniversaries.  The anniversaries include discovery, exploration, first settlement, becoming a territory and statehood."

We'll look forward to the book!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: JUNE 12, 2022

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n24a19.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JUNE 19, 2022 : 1967 Nebraska Centennial Medal Sculptor

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n25a11.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JULY 3, 2022

 Update on Medals and Exonumia of the Royal Canadian Mint

Last week author Alan Roy announced his new book on Royal Canadian Mint medals and exonumia. Here's an update.  See the earlier article for Alan;s contact information.
-Editor

Alan writes:

"I am participating in the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association's "Book Fair" at the Ottawa convention. I, or my wife Diane, will man a table to sell my new book, Medals and Exonumia of the Royal Canadian Mint, and field questions about it. The book fair will take place on July 22nd and 23rd during bourse hours. Howard Engel (of Richard Stockley Numismatic Books) will also have a few copies to sell.

"In other news, I have finally sent the text in for printing, and sorry to say, the printing cost is higher than originally quoted by the printer. Consequently, the selling price will be higher than I thought. I will be selling copies for $18.95 CAD. Sorry for any problems this may cause."

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: MEDALS OF THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n26a02.html)

 More on the Case of the Missing Pages
Peter Preston-Morley writes:

"I was interested to read Chriss Hoffman’s note about Dave Bowers’ Garrett catalogue, about which I echo his remarks on its usefulness, quite apart from being an excellent read!

"I couldn’t obtain a copy of the first printing in 1979, but my copy, bought in 1980, is of the second printing and is complete, for what that is worth. I suspect that the book was printed in sections of 24 pages (books are often printed in sections of multiples of 8 pages, depending on the total pagination) and somehow a section was omitted at the binding stage."

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JUNE 26, 2022 : The Case of the Missing Pages

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n26a09.html)

 Bank Note Cigar Label
Phil Iversen writes:

"In last week's issue of The E-Sylum there is a neat photo of a Bank Note tin.  It is strikingly similar in appearance to a cigar label and very much popular with currency collectors and/or cigar aficionados."

Thanks.  The cigar label is at the top, with the tin shown below.  I'm sure there are many more examples out there.  Feel free to share.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: JUNE 26, 2022 : Bank Note Cigar Tin

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n26a22.html)

 More Mint Mini Bags

Ed Herman writes:

"I have examples of the Mint Mini bags shown containing 15 cents (5 from each mint) from 1971, 1972 and 1973.
I also have 3 similar bags containing 20 cents (all from one mint) dated 1971 from each of the three mints."

Nice set!  Illustrated is one of Dave Lange's bags.
-Editor

 1938 Nickel Mint Bags

Bern Nagengast writes:

"Dave Lange’s submission about US Mint canvas bags in the June26 E-Sylum newsletter reminded me that I had some nickel bags that were less than the normal size.  Regular nickel bags have $200, but these photos show $50 bags from the Philadelphia and Denver Mint dated 1938, and a letter of their provenance.  The two nickels in flips laying on the bags were in the bags when I purchased them from a collector some years ago, one P and D mint, now nicely toned.

"The personal letter, from Albert Johnson, who is listed on the letterhead as auditor of the First National Bank and Trust Company, Evanston, Illinois, was addressed to a John and Iris Black of New Britain, Connecticut and dated December 8, 1938.  The letter states “Another bag from Denver mint with new nickel from each is enclosed.  Denver nickel has a D at right of building.  Phila. mint uses no marks on the coins.”  The remainder of the letter doesn’t have any other coin related information.

"Despite that confusing statement, it appears that $50 bags were available in 1938, at least from the Philadelphia and Denver mints.  I do know that $200 bags were in use – the late Ed Fleischman (of Coin World and later the ANA Certification Service) once showed me a $200 Denver Mint nickel bag commenting  ”I wonder if this bag was for Buffalo or Jefferson nickels.”  Denver made both types in 1938, either could have been in the bag.

"Was the US Mint making sample bags of the new Jefferson nickel available in 1938 to banks for distribution to customers?  Perhaps the demand for the new nickels was such that the mints were limiting the distribution.  And did San Francisco have $50 bags also?

"And speaking of mint bags, what is the oldest dated mint bag?  A reader contest perhaps?"

Great idea!  Anyone have or know of a bag dated earlier than 1938?  All those 19th century silver dollar bags that came out in the 1960s didn't have dates and mints printed on them or people wouldn't have had to open or cut a hole in them to see the contents.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

U. S. MINT CANVAS BAGS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n26a11.html)

 Don Kelly's "Maytag Days"
Clifford Mishler writes:

"Reading the coverage provided in last week’s E-Sylum issue reporting the passing of Don Kelly, drew my thoughts back to the two or three years he served as the curator/docent at the Higgins Museum. A detail focused person, he invariably evidenced a light-hearted attitude towards those details. When presenting attendance results to the board . . . he referred to those days when there were no visitors as a . . . “Maytag Day” . . . on which he could devote his total focus on whatever new information he might dig out of the National Bank Note records at his hand there. Don was a truly wonderful guy that it was always a delight to spend some time with."

For our younger readers, the archetypal Maytag Repairman was played for years by actor Jesse White - perpetually  bored with nothing to do, since those darn dependable Maytag appliances never broke down.  That was the story anyway.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

DONALD CLYDE KELLY (1933-2022)

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n26a04.html)

 Colorized Paper Money Images
Wayne Pearson writes:

"I found some really cool looking colorized paper money. I copied two different $100 bills as they are on the site, and I made each in a lightened version.  They have other denominations as well.
They look great hanging up."

These are stock photos made for sale.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

Fragment of new colorized 100 dollar banknote

(https://www.dreamstime.com/fragment-new-colorized-dollar-banknote-design-purpose-image228382400)

PHOTOS: DULUTH COIN FIND, HOUSTON ANA DEALERS

David Lange submitted this note on a couple numismatic photographs he recently purchased.  Thanks!
-Editor

The first is from Acme Newspictures, Inc. and is dated June 27, 1937. It shows two Duluth, Minnesota boys who uncovered a cache of USA gold coins. They are Donald Haglund, 11 (left) and Teddy Tedor, 7. They found a tin containing $1,050 face value comprised of half eagles, eagles and double eagles. The burial was estimated at around 1914, which evidently was the latest date found.

The second photo was taken by Roger Powers of The Houston Post and is dated August 23, 1978. It features Harold Kritzman (left) of Newington, Connecticut showing a coin to Karl Herzog of Odessa, Texas. Given the date, it was almost certainly taken during that year's ANA Convention in Houston. I recognize both of these dealers' names, though I don't believe I ever met either.

It should be noted that while I own these prints the copyrights still may be in effect. This is typical of most of the photos I've acquired over the years, but that doesn't prevent enjoying them.

STACK’S BOWERS OPENS BOSTON GALLERY

Stack’s Bowers Galleries is expanding.  Here's the press release for their new Boston location, and their new ad this week highlights their recently-created Virginia Beach office.
-Editor

Stack’s Bowers Galleries is proud to announce the upcoming opening of a new downtown rare
coin gallery in historic Boston, Massachusetts. Located at 84 State Street in the heart of Boston’s financial district,
the gallery will be just steps from the city’s two most iconic tourist attractions: historic Faneuil Hall and the
irresistible Quincy Market. The showroom is just a 15 minute walk from Boston’s South Station, granting
convenient access to collectors across the entire northeast.  Renovations are under way and the firm hopes to open
the 84 State Street storefront to the community in early fall 2022. With the opening of this new location, Stack’s
Bowers Galleries is thrilled to unite New England collectors with the country’s most accomplished rare coin firm.

Staffed by top numismatic professionals, as collectors have come to expect from Stack’s Bowers Galleries, this
office will be led by Kevin Vinton, one of the nation’s top experts in United States coins. Kevin was born and raised
in New England, developing an interest in numismatics at an early age. Upon graduating from Wheaton College (IL)
in 2009, Kevin went to work for Sam Sloat Coins as numismatist and manager. In 2013, he founded Inde Et Lib,
Numismatists, becoming a highly respected expert and market maker in U.S. colonials and early federal copper,
handling countless rarities and bringing several important collections to market. Kevin is a life member of the
American Numismatic Association, Early American Coppers, the Colonial Coin Collectors Club, and many other
organizations.

This Boston location will offer the firm’s entire range of numismatic services. Collectors will be able to sell their
coins and paper money for top market value and browse an extensive selection of items available for direct
purchase. The gallery will also serve as an important resource for gold and silver bullion trading, appraisals, and
auction expertise.

The firm is eager to grow their team at the new gallery and is seeking to hire experienced numismatic specialists,
along with shipping and administrative staff. Interested candidates are invited to send resumes and cover letters to

Mschimel at stacksbowers.com.

“We are very excited to enter the Boston market, particularly in such a great location in the most popular downtown
area in Boston,” said Stack’s Bowers Galleries President Brian Kendrella. “This city and its collectors have been a
mainstay to the history and success of our business, and we are proud to have a new home in Boston. I’d also like to
announce the creation of limited edition, Q. David Bowers signed American Silver Eagles graded by PCGS to
commemorate the opening of our New York (2020), Philadelphia (2021) and Boston (2022) galleries.  There are
only 500 made for each location and they will be offered in our Precious Metal Auctions beginning in July.”

VOCABULARY TERM: KEY TAG MEDAL

Here's another entry from Dick Johnson's Encyclopedia of Coin and Medal Terminology.
-Editor

 Key Tag Medal.
The utilization of a medal to put on a ring of keys; they are always looped or holed. Because of their intense wear, key tag medals are struck in hard
alloys; nickel-silver and copper nickel are well suited for this purpose. A large volume of any medal manufacturer's production is concerned with key tag medals so popular are they. Often they are made as a reduction of a larger medal as one of the more utilitarian purposes of medallic art. Sometimes these bear a serial number stamped on the back; they are issued with a card bearing the same number. When mailed back to the issuer they form a registry to identify the owner; when the keys are lost they can be returned to the owner through this registry.

Medal makers also have stock design key tag medals available to any one who wishes to order such. The Paris Mint, for example, has two dozen special designs available as key tags (in French, porte-clefs). These include designs from historical motifs, mythology, art scenes, zodiac medals, and of course, the ubiquitous Saint Christopher medal for travelers.

To read the complete entry on the Newman Numismatic Portal, see:

Key Tag Medal

(https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/dictionarydetail/516192)

JACK H. ROBINSON (1941-2021)

American Numismatic Biographies author Pete Smith submitted this
article on Large Cent  specialist Jack Robinson.  Thanks!
-Editor

The July issue of The Numismatist notes the death of Jack Robinson. There was also a notice in
Penny-Wise last year but his death was not noted in The E-Sylum. Here are a few of my
comments and recollections.

His name may have been John Harold Robinson, born in San Diego on December 11, 1941. He
was the son of a naval officer and moved frequently during his childhood. Jack graduated from
Benjamin Franklin University with a B.C.S. degree and became a Certified Public Accountant.
He applied his interest in computers to develop a successful business providing accounting
software to clients around the world.

Jack was married to Linda and had two daughters. A second marriage was to Hue To Robinson.

Jack joined Early American Coppers (EAC) as member 1308 in 1981. I met him when he joined
a group of us for dinner at the EAC convention in Cincinnati in 1982. He made an immediate
impression as a strong buyer at the 1982 EAC sale. By that fall he had become a player in the
auction market and Denis Loring referred to him as Mr. X in his report of an October sale at
Stack’s.

At the EAC convention in 1983, Jack acquired Denis Loring’s set of the cents of 1794. Mr. X
became known as a major force in the market.

I had an intention to compile a price guide for early large cents and submitted my first article on
“Large Cent Auction Results” in 1982. Jack had similar goals. In the September 15, 1983, issue
of Penny-Wise, he announced publication of Copper Quotes by Robinson. I deferred to Jack and
let him produce the price guides. That was a wise decision.

Jack joined Richard E. McLaughlin to conduct sales under the company name of McLaughlin
and Robinson. Their first sale was in May of 1983. The company faded after Jack sold his
collection in 1989.

Jack joined Del Bland and Denis Loring to form the EAC Grading Committee to offer opinions
on the grades of early copper coins. This had the casual approval of the club but had no official
status.

Doctor Sheldon created the 70-point grading system, the condition census and a system for
establishing the value of cents. This reflected the market for the generation of collectors that
operated prior to publication of the book. The system became obsolete shortly after publication.

Robinson’s CQR with frequent updates educated collectors on the importance of condition and
influenced the generation of collectors that followed his publication. It also allowed dealers to
apply CQR prices to coins that were optimistically graded. CQR was only intended to apply to
coins that were graded according to conservative EAC standards.

My friend and mentor, Dick Punchard, had a nice set of the cents of 1793, but never got a
Sheldon-7. None had appeared at auction in about twenty years. Then three came to auction in the Floyd Starr sale of June 13, 1984. Jack acquired the F-15 example from the Starr sale. This
gave Jack a duplicate that I was able to acquire in 1986.

The key to completing a collection of early cents is the Sheldon-79 variety. When one comes up
for sale, the community probably has an idea who is likely to be the next owner. Jack’s turn
came at the 1986 sale of the Robinson S. Brown collection. Jack became the seventh known
collector to form a complete collection of Sheldon varieties. In turn, with the sale of his
collection, the coin was passed to G. Lee Kuntz.

Jack was owner of Nutech providing commercial laundry services to large hotels. They used a
computerized system to track workflow and manage inventory. With his early cent collection
completed, he offered his collection for sale to raise finds to expand the laundry business. This
was one of the big event sales conducted by Superior in the 1980’s with pre-sale parties and
excited participation from EAC members.

I have given talks with the topic of “I Collect Weird Stuff.” An example is a lot I acquired at the
Robinson sale. The 1794 Sheldon-33 is known as the “wheel-spoke” variety. Lot 54 was an early
die state S-33 that does not show the wheel spokes. That’s the one I bought at the sale.

The last time I saw Jack was at the 2012 EAC/JRCS convention in Buffalo. I had dinner one
evening with Jack and his wife. They talked about Jack’s current business venture that involved
sterilizing water in ships ballast tanks with ozone. There is a saying that invention is ten percent
inspiration and ninety percent perspiration. The impression I got from Jack is that ninety percent
was dealing with government regulation.

Jack H. Robinson died at home on February 18, 2021. I could not find a published obituary on
the web. His date of death was not in Penny-Wise or The Numismatist. I got his date of death in
an email exchange with his widow.

The hobby owes a great deal to Pete for his longstanding efforts to locate, compile and publish all manner of important numismatic information, from coin auction appearances and ownership chains, to collector biographies like this.  Many thanks for submitting these for publication here in The E-Sylum.
-Editor

DON TAXAY’S GREAT TRADE

Douglas Ward submitted this article about "The Great Trade" orchestrated with the Chase Manhattan Bank Museum by Lester Merkin and Don Taxay. Thanks!
-Editor

Enigmatic Numismystique: Don Taxay’s The Great Trade

Pete Smith’s biography of Donald Paul Taxay reminded me of an enigmatic
connection and added some interesting knowledge. In his article he relates that Don Taxay
was somewhat nomadic in his life and numismatic endeavors. But among his numerous
acquaintances was a fellow musician and numismatist, Lester Merkin of New York City.
They were likely introduced by John J. Ford or Walter Breen, with whom Taxay had worked
at the New Netherlands Coin Company in the early 1960s. Ford and Taxay would author a
number of articles on counterfeit coins for The Numismatist and Coin World. And in 1963
he would form an authentication company with Breen. Don Taxay and Lester Merkin likely
became good friends with similar
backgrounds and interests. Both had begun
their careers as dealers at about the same
time in the late 1950s.

However, Lester Merkin had started
out as a collector of some renown for having
re-discovered the 1922 high relief matte proof
Peace dollar. Later called the “Discovery Coin,”
he had obtained it as a pattern from a west
coast dealer in 1954. Merkin took his new
Discovery Coin to a meeting of the New York
Numismatic Club (NYNC) in November of
1955. It was his first reported exhibit in front
of the many numismatic heavy-weights
usually in attendance. His confidence was due
to the realization he had acquired a coin
“variety many professional [numismatists]
were not acquainted with,” as Q. David Bowers
would later remark.

Even so, it received only
minor billing; being described as a “U. S. 1922
sandblast proof dollar.” He had also brought
along a “U. S. 1922 unc. dollar,” for comparison and as ‘proof’ of it’s uniqueness in strike,
finish and relief. It seems odd that NYNC Secretary E. K. Hessberg did not apply the obvious
term “Peace dollar” to either description. The usually concise secretary may have been
unsettled by the neophyte’s brazen attempt to upstage their dignified proceedings, or
perhaps rightly questioned its authenticity.

The Lester Merkin "Discovery Coin"

Such questioning would have also lead to Walter Breen, who had become an expert
on the subject. When Donald L. Rhodes acquired the third known specimen in early 1958,
he sent it to Breen for authentication against the Zerbe and Discovery Coins. All three
would be described in Breen’s 1961 article “The 1922 Type of 1921 Peace Dollar.”

The Rhodes Specimen

Merkin would likely learn of a second specimen’s existence from Vernon L. Brown
who was also present at the pivotal 1955 meeting. He was a NYNC regular and long time
member of the prestigious club. Brown was also curator of the Chase Manhattan Bank
Moneys of the World Museum, a position he assumed after Farran Zerbe’s retirement in
1939. He would retire in 1964 and Don Taxay would become the museum’s new curator,
likely on the recommendations of John J. Ford and Walter Breen. The Museum’s specimen
was attributed to Zerbe’s original 1922 acquisition from the Philadelphia Mint. Ironically,
also present at the meeting was Mrs. R. Henry Norweb, who was apparently unaware she
also owned a specimen within the vast Norweb holdings!

The Zerbe Specimen

In 1965 the Zerbe Specimen lay peacefully in the Chase Manhattan Bank, quietly
awaiting its eventual fate as a relic in either the Smithsonian or American Numismatic
Society collections. Twelve years later the Chase Museum would close and its massive
collection dispersed to the more renowned and eternal archives. Then clandestinely on
June 30th Lester Merkin and Don Taxay orchestrated what could be called “The Great
Trade.” Merkin’s prize was the Zerbe 1922 High Relief Matte Proof Peace Dollar, only the
third known at that time. And he would then possess all three. Former curator Vernon
Brown would likely not have been receptive to such an exchange during his 25 years of
oversight. Such loose trading was not a generally accepted practice for a museum curator –
not to mention the coin was his mentor’s original acquisition. Records show a trade was
also made with John J. Ford about the same time, although it’s unknown what he acquired.

A year later, Taxay did not relate the trade in his 1966 book “The U. S. Mint and Coinage.”
Although it contains a chapter on the Peace Dollar and he had the knowledge, no
accounting of known 1922 proof specimens was included.

The coins received in this trade were recorded in the Chase Money Collection
inventory, released in the early 1970’s. The most valuable of these was a 1792 white metal
25 cent trial strike, Judd-13, by Joseph Wright, costing $4,725 and appraised at $12,500. A
recent sale of one discovered in the New York Historical Society brought $1,260,000. There
were 15 pattern pieces listed with a combined declared cost of $12,480 and an appraised
value of $29,855. This fabulous amount attests to Merkin’s 1922 Proof Peace Dollar fever,
since $3,100 had been the highest price reportedly paid for a specimen up to that time.4 He
was especially proud of his Discovery Coin and held it until his death in 1992. On Taxay’s
departure as curator in 1966, Merkin would recommend another good friend, numismatist
and fellow orchestra musician, Gene Hessler, for the position. Whether termed The Great
Trade, The Great Raid or The Great Escape, it’s another enigmatic chapter in Peace Dollar
and numismatic lore.

1792 25 cent pattern Judd-13. Provenance: American Numismatic Society, 1977; Taxay for
the Chase Manhattan Bank Money Museum, June 30, 1965; Merkin from Century-Paramount,
April 30-May 1, 1965, lot 53. United States Mint, Philadelphia. Joseph Wright designed; very
likely a pattern intended as a quarter dollar. Two specimens are known in bronze (SI-NMAH
1991.0357.0121) and four in white metal. A specimen in white metal from the New York
Historical Society recently sold at auction for $1,260,000 (Heritage, April 22-25, 2021, lot
4960). Image courtesy of the American Numismatic Society, 1980.66.2.