The E-Sylum v25n31 July 31, 2022

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jul 31 18:34:54 PDT 2022

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 25, Number 31, July 31, 2022
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JULY 31, 2022 <#a01>
** NBS 2022 ANA CONVENTION EVENT SCHEDULE <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: PRESBEUS: STUDIES IN ANCIENT COINAGE <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: CLEANING ANCIENT BRONZE COINS <#a04>
** NEW BOOK: FORGING SECRETS <#a05>
** CHARLES III LARGE AL MERITO MEDALS <#a06>
** DESERET NATIONAL BANK GOLD COIN BAG <#a07>
** VIDEO:  HOUSTON MONEY SHOW <#a08>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JULY 31, 2022 <#a09>
** U.S. CATHOLIC MEDAL INFORMATION SOUGHT <#a10>
** 2022 PHILIPPINE COLLECTORS FORUM <#a11>
** VOCABULARY TERM: LEGEND <#a12>
** FRED REINFELD (1910-1964) <#a13>
** FRED WEINBERG INTERVIEW, PART FOUR <#a14>
** U.S. PAPER IN WORLD BANKNOTE AUCTIONS SALE 29 <#a15>
** STACK'S BOWERS PHYSICAL CRYPTOCURRENCY <#a16>
** STEPHEN ALBUM INTERNET AUCTION 17 <#a17>
** DAVISSON'S E-AUCTION 44 <#a18>
** S.S. CENTRAL AMERICA ARTIFACTS EXHIBITED <#a19>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: JULY 31, 2022 <#a20>
** ARCHAEOLOGISTS FIND RARE ZODIAC COIN <#a21>
** SPANISH GALLEON MARAVILLAS FOUND <#a22>
** FRENCH COINS IN AMERICA <#a23>
** ZIMBABWE INTRODUCES GOLD COINS <#a24>
** ONE POUND BULLION COINS <#a25>
** THE INC 2022 CONGRESS MEDAL <#a26>
** UPDATE: THE CURRENCY BY DAMIEN HIRST <#a27>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JULY 31, 2022

We have one new subscriber this week.
Welcome aboard!

This week we open with an update from NBS, three new books, a new website,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and more.

Other topics this week include cleaning ancient bronze coins, Operation Bernhard, Catholic medals, Fred Reinfeld, Fred Weinberg, auction previews, coin finds, artifacts from the SS Central America, French coins in America, Zimbabwe's gold coins, and the International Numismatic Congress.

To learn more about 1794 United States Large Cents, Charles III Large AL Merito medals, Jeno Juszko, the Victor Buono method, free government checks, Philippine  numismatics, the missing $4 Stella, an off-center wreath cent, and “The Currency” by artist Damien Hirst, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NBS 2022 ANA CONVENTION EVENT SCHEDULE

It's that time of year, and the American Numismatic Association's annual World's Fair of Money convention is approaching.  NBS President Tom Harrison submitted this preview of club events at the show.
-Editor

Here are a few highlights of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society’s events at the upcoming ANA
Convention in Rosemont the week of August 16th to 20th. Tuesday through Friday the NBS will
host our club table (#730). We hope you will stop by to view a few highlights from Friday’s
charity auction, purchase a NBS commemorative coffee mug to support the NBS and, most of
all, share your enthusiasm for the numismatic literature hobby.

The NBS Board Meeting will be held on Thursday from 11:30 to 1:00 in room 11. Our
Symposium will Immediately follow the Board Meeting at 1:00 also in room 11. We are
delighted to have NBS Treasurer and early American coppers authority, Chuck Heck, speaking
about his marvelous new book Die States of 1794 United States Large Cents.

The General Meeting will be Friday at 11:30 in room 12. The meeting will feature The Asylum
author awards, a video tour of the extensive library of NBS Historian, Joel Orosz and our all-
important charity auction. The auction catalog will be posted on the NBS website

www.coinbooks.org. David Fanning cataloged the sale and will accept absentee bids by phone
(614)256-8915 or email

df at numislit.com until 5PM central time Thursday, August 18th.

If your
schedule permits, we would like to invite those attending the General Meeting to remain after the
formal meeting to enjoy an informal social time. We encourage you to bring a special item from
your library to share or just stay for the fellowship. While it will be fun to see what others bring,
the goal is to provide an opportunity to connect with your fellow biblio enthusiasts.

Thank you to everyone who has stepped up to serve and support the NBS during our annual
events. We look forward to seeing you at the NBS events!

For more information on the book, see:

NEW BOOK: DIE STATES OF 1794 LARGE CENTS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n22a04.html)

NEW BOOK: PRESBEUS: STUDIES IN ANCIENT COINAGE

A new book on ancient coinage has been published by the American Numismatic Society.
-Editor

Presbeus: Studies in Ancient Coinage Presented to Richard Ashton

Edited by Andrew Meadows and Ute Wartenberg, this Festschrift is presented to numismatic scholar Richard Ashton on the occasion of his 75th birthday. These 20 articles present new research into the numismatics of the Greek East and provide significant advances in archaeological, historical, and numismatic scholarship:

Christopher S. Lightfoot. Was there a Core-Formed Glass Industry in Archaic Rhodes?

Wolfgang R. Fischer-Bossert. The Electrum Coinage of Lindos Again

Alain Bresson. Palmette Coins: An Update

Jonathan Kagan. Return to Xanthos: New Numismatic Light on the Harpagid Dynasty of Western Lycia

Ute Wartenberg. A Persian Queen on the Black Sea: The Coinages of Amastris and Herakleia

Philip Kinns. Understanding the Later Civic Coinage of Miletus

Koray Konuk. MY Stands for Mylasa

Andrew Meadows. The Double-Axe Mint: The Coinage of Tenedos in the Third and Second Centuries BC

Amelia Dowler. The New Mint under Nicomedes I (c. 278–255 BC)

Kerstin Höghammar. The Koan Series of Posthumous Alexander Tetradrachms, c. 200 BC

Vassiliki E. Stefanaki. Les ‘plinthophores’ de Cos: état de la question

Peter Thonemann. Cistophoric Geography Revisited

Aneurin Ellis-Evans. The Wreathed Tetradrachms and Gold Staters of Magnesia on the Maeander

Nicholas Sekunda. The Cretan and Pisidian Keraitai

Lucia Carbone. The Standardization of Asian Bronze Denominations in the First Century BC

Fabrice Delrieux. Fleuves et riviéres de l’Asie Mineure gréco-romaine. Généralités et tudes de cas dans les monnayages de Carie

Laurent Bricault. Images civiques de Mithra

Andrew Burnett. The Severan Coinage of Galatia

Elena Korka, Constantine Lagos, and Maria Syrrou. An Early Byzantine Gold Hoard from Tenea, Corinthia

François de Callataÿ. Correspondence about the Coin Market in Constantinople and Smyrna Prior to 1800

For more information, or to order, see:

Presbeus: Studies in Ancient Coinage Presented to Richard Ashton [Hardback]

(https://www.oxbowbooks.com/dbbc/presbeus.html)

NEW BOOK: CLEANING ANCIENT BRONZE COINS

A recent Coin World article by Jeff Starck alerted me to a new book on cleaning ancient coins.  Great subtitle!  The author certainly has a sense of humor about the topic.  Jeff calls it "a lighthearted but learned look at an issue that is common in collecting ancient coins."
-Editor

A Method for Cleaning Ancient Bronze Coins: With a long introduction and much annoying detail, plus some commentaries on bronze disease, to which is ... followed by an Appendix of coin photographs

by Saúl Roll (Author), Maria Jacqueline Hauser (Editor)

This book is meant to accompany the "Ancient Coin Cleaning Kit" sold on my web store. What I explain here are all my personal opinions, based on my personal experience, and they are not meant to convince the reader of anything. You are welcome to try these techniques on your own coins at your own risk, as I cannot be responsible for accidents, damaged coins, personal injury, or any other catastrophes that may result from following these steps. Of course, I expect none of that will happen, but you never know when someone is going to poke their hand with a cleaning tool, bump the distilled water with the coins on the new rug, and react with a rapid movement that will knock down the microscope on the dog's head, who was distractedly licking the sodium sesquicarbonate spill, rendering him unconscious, all which would incite the coin cleaner to sue whoever suggested the cleaning method in the first place. So please be careful, as I am not liable for your mistakes, accidents, acts
 of Apollo, etc. Also, cleaning coins kills your back and your neck, so keep a good posture and take breaks often.

The book is only available through Amazon, and is available in three formats: hardcover $25, Paperback $18, and Kindle reader $9.
-Editor

For more information, or to order, see:

A Method for Cleaning Ancient Bronze Coins: With a long introduction and much annoying detail, plus some commentaries on bronze disease, to which is ... followed by an Appendix of coin photographs Hardcover – July 25, 2022

(https://www.amazon.com/Method-Cleaning-Ancient-Bronze-Coins/dp/B0B7QG3CRD/ref=sr_1_1)

NEW BOOK: FORGING SECRETS

Here's some more information about the new Forging Secrets book about the Operation Bernhard counterfeits of WWII.
-Editor

Museum-quality book features never-before-seen accounts from numismatists, historians, descendants of Holocaust survivors, and the granddaughter of the Nazi who ran “Operation Bernhard”

A new book titled Forging Secrets: Faces and Facts Inside the Nazi Operation Bernhard Scheme will become available to the public at a special event at the Hyatt Regency Chicago O’Hare on Thursday, August 18, 2022. Collectors, students, and researchers of World War II and the Holocaust will be captivated by this unique publication by the Spungen Family Foundation in association with Coin and Currency Institute.

Operation Bernhard was a secret Nazi project during WWII that forced Jewish concentration camp prisoners to forge Bank of England notes. Initially intended to destroy the British economy, the forged notes ended up financing the German side of the war. With their lives hanging by a thread, 140-plus prisoners produced enough fake currency to equal the face value of all reserves in the vaults of the Bank of England—an astounding 6 or 7 billion dollars in today’s money. This sensational true story has been treated by historians, survivors, Hollywood, and mainstream media, but never have all of these elements been combined into one volume.

“We wanted to put a face on money - to show the humanity behind this incredible story for students and future generations who take an interest in the Holocaust and World War II,” said Danny Spungen, trustee of the Spungen Family Foundation. “This is more than a book. This is an interactive experience in a book where students and collectors can search for and acquire an artifact, witnesses of the Holocaust.”

Contributors to the book include American Numismatic Association Medal of Merit recipients Joseph Boling and C. Frederick Schwan; Auschwitz historian and museum curator Robert Jan van Pelt; Debbie Walter, daughter of Operation Bernhard survivor Hans Walter; Charlotte Krüger, granddaughter of Bernhard Krüger, who ran Operation Bernhard; and Astrid Ley and Agnes Ohm, expert historians from the Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum near Berlin.

Collectors will be fascinated by the authoritative chapter by Boling, which shows readers in over 200 diagnostic photos how to distinguish genuine British white notes from fakes produced by the Operation Bernhard prisoners. Boling served as chief editor of the book, along with Danny Spungen and Kiel Majewski, executive director of the Spungen Family Foundation. Several other researchers and historians also contributed original content.

The book features over 500 images, including never-before-published sketches of Bernhard prisoners by the artists Peter Edel and Leo Haas, who were themselves prisoners in the forgery operation. Perhaps the most unique feature of the hardcover, linen-wrapped book is a die-cut window in the cover. The window opens up to a museum-quality transparent polyester sleeve stitched into the book and sized precisely to hold an artifact—a counterfeit “Operation Bernhard” note produced by the prisoners of Block 19 in Sachsenhausen. Retail copies of the book will come with a replica Bernhard note depicting the signatures of three survivors of Block 19—Adolf Burger, Jack Plapler, and Hans Walter. Guidance on how to conserve an authentic Bernhard note is printed on the backside of the replica.

Each copy of the short-run collectible book will be numbered 1-1000 and will retail for $199. Thanks to the generous contributions of donors and sponsors, 200+ copies will be made available to students at an 85% discount. Available from bookstores, coin and paper money dealers, at trade shows, and from internet book sellers. Copies may also be obtained from the Coin & Currency Institute,

www.coin-currency.com, +1 800 421 1866. Free shipping in the USA. Foreign orders will be billed actual cost.

For more information about book launch events in the United States, the Netherlands, and Germany, contact Danny Spungen at

danny at spungenfoundation.org / +1 847 775 4675.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: FORGING SECRETS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n28a04.html)

CHARLES III LARGE AL MERITO MEDALS

Skyler Liechty passed along this note about a new website about Charles III Large AL Merito medals.
-Editor

With the ever increasing interest in the importance of Spanish Indian Peace medals, and the significant role the Spanish played in American colonial history, the authors of the chapter on those medals in the now out of print volume on Indian Peace medals published by the Gilcrease Museum in 2011 (Peace Medals Negotiating Power in Early America), a work that happily  married the academic world with numismatic scholarship, the authors obtained permission to republish their chapter on those Spanish medals as a website available to all, which was granted.  The new website illustrates new discoveries, and is offered in the hope that it will spur others to contribute new information, and any new finds.  While not intended as an authentication, or evaluation service, the authors welcome all inquiries.

To visit the website, see:

http://www.charlesiiialmerito.com/

DESERET NATIONAL BANK GOLD COIN BAG

Newman Numismatic Portal Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following item.  Thanks.
-Editor

Following up on the recent discussion on U.S. Mint bags, banks similarly produce bags for the purposes of storing and transporting coinage. The July issue of The Mint Master, published by the Utah Numismatic Society and edited by Doug Nyholm, included illustrations of a number of Utah bank bags.

The illustrated bag from the Deseret National Bank is labeled “$5000 GOLD,” and is presumably intended to contain 250 double eagles. This bank was incorporated in 1871, with the LDS leader Brigham Young as president, and ultimately consolidated into the Security National Bank of Salt Lake City in 1932.

Link to The Mint Master on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/533919

VIDEO:  HOUSTON MONEY SHOW

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's one on the  Houston Money Show.
-Editor

Greater Houston Coin Club Continues to Sponsor Houston Money Show 2022.

VIDEO: 3:38.

Jack Domurat, Dealer Relations, Houston Money Show,

David Lisot, Interviewer, CoinTelevision.com.

January 21, 2022.

The Houston Money Show continues to grow in importance as one of the first conventions held as the numismatic year begins every January. Jack Domurat handles dealer relations for the coin convention as well as being president of the Great Houston Coin Club. He shares how GHCC continues to be an important convention and why the Greater Houston Coin Club is so beneficial to collectors.

David adds:

"Jack Domurat is president of the Greater Houston Coin Club. Jack and his team of volunteers work to put on one of the best coin shows in Texas. The Houston Money Show has everything going for it to be a great show; convenient location, lots of collectors, a good base of coin dealers, and a committed staff of folks to make it a great experience. The next Houston Money Show is in January 2023. You will not want to miss it!"

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://youtu.be/q-Fsn3T0sjc

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JULY 31, 2022

 Novel vs. Noble Deeds

Martin Purdy writes:

"I saw the "Novel" Deeds medal with the reversed illustration in the Express a day or two ago and contacted the journalist to point out that "Edel" on the medal would be better translated as "Noble" rather than "Novel" but got no response.  I assume it was a mis-hearing of what the speaker said on the TV show in that particular report.  In any case, "novel" is certainly a novel expression in context!"

That makes more sense! Thanks.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

FOR EDEL DAAD: THE NOVEL DEEDS MEDAL

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n30a27.html)

 Jeno Juszko
Scott Miller  writes:

"Regarding the Teddy Roosevelt plaque displayed at the Nummis Nova dinner, the artist should be listed as Jeno Juszko.  While primarily known as a medalist, Juszko also created some statues and busts, including three at Grant's Tomb - Generals Thomas, McPherson and Ord."

Thanks! Scott passed along a photo of Juszko at work.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

File:Archives of American Art - Jeno Juszko - 2974.jpg

(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Archives_of_American_Art_-_Jeno_Juszko_-_2974.jpg)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: JULY 24, 2022 : Tom's Notes from the Far end of the Table

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n30a21.html)

 The Victor Buono Method

Regarding Pete Smith's question about "the Victor Buono method,"
Dave Lange writes:

"I'm not certain what the "Victor Buono Method" is, but I imagine it pertains to the 1973 episode of Hawaii Five-0 in which Buono appeared as a criminal seeking to swap a fake 1913 Liberty Head Nickel for the real one. I remember watching that entry when it first aired, but I haven't seen it since. I imagine the show is being re-run on some network, but I haven't searched for it."

Bill Daehn writes:

"I think I’ve got the answer to Pete Smith’s question on “the Victor Buono method.” It is to examine a coin (preferably a 1913 Liberty Nickel) by holding the magnifying glass behind the coin rather than in front of the coin. This scene was used to promote the Hawaii Five-O episode featuring the famous nickel."

Pete writes:

"Good answer. Bill is one of my oldest friends in numismatics, going back to about 1985."

Pete's question was inspired by the above newspaper photo of Mint Director Mary Brooks examining a coin.
Victor Buono is the prolific character actor who guest starred in the said Hawaii Five-O episode.  Here's the photo in question.
-Editor

In both photos the magnifying glass is not between the coin and the person looking at the coin - it's on the outside toward the photographer so people viewing the photo see the coin thru the magnifying glass.
As Dave Lange noted, "It's definitely a posed production still."
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JULY 24, 2016 :
Quick Quiz: Who's in This 1913 Liberty Nickel Picture?

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n30a09.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JULY 31, 2016 : Quiz Answer: Who's in This 1913 Liberty Nickel Picture?

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n31a14.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JULY 24, 2022 : The Victor Buono Method

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n30a09.html)

 The Racketeer Nickel Silence Loophole
Regarding Josh Tatum and the Racketeer Nickel,
Julia Casey  writes:

"I don't have anything major to share -- but just this morning it came to me that there is a real possibility this all started with Cecil/Charles Ryan.

"I started looking for records from the Brooklyn Coin Club (where he seems to be most active) and I ran into Paul Franklin being active there as well at this time.  I also think these two men lived near each other.

"The Josh Tatum story certainly took hold in American legend.  Could it have been concocted by Franklin and Ryan - with that helpful spin of MacDougall (who got a nice column out of it).  It probably helped sell a lot of racketeer nickels and there is the possibility that some of them could have been more modernly made for collectors.

"Apparently the concept of not asking for change for the gilded nickels was known as a potential loop-hole.  Attached here is an article that makes mention of it from the San Francisco Examiner, 2/28/1890."

Thanks - another piece of the puzzle.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

JOSH TATUM REVISITED

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n30a12.html)

 Uncle Sam's Free Numismatic Collectibles
In a followup to his adventure collecting an uncashed U.S. treasury check,
Kavan Ratnatunga of Sri Lanka writes:

"A year went by, and the  US$ 12 Tax refund cheque was uncashed safe in my collection. To my total surprise, I got another US$12 check in the mail which I never requested when I submitted my taxes this year. Dated June 17 2022 it had been posted by the US Embassy on July 27 and reached me on 29th. I checked and found my full 2021 refund had been deposited. I can only guess that this is a replacement for the uncashed cheque which was valid for only one Year.

"Uncle Sam's automated computer system has clearly not been programmed to handle uncashed cheques kept by collectors. Wondering if I should just add it to my collection and see what happens next year. :-)"

Wow - guess I never expected that to happen.  Interesting development.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

WILL CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS BE COLLECTIBLE?

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n16a33.html)

CARES ACT TREASURY CHECK SECURITY FEATURES

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n18a29.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 1, 2021 : Collecting U.S. Treasury Checks

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n31a16.html)

 Query: 1963 Famous Old Collection Sale