The E-Sylum v25n36 September 4, 2022

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Sep 4 18:46:55 PDT 2022

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 25, Number 36, September 4, 2022
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM SEPTEMBER 4, 2022 <#a01>
** THE E-SYLUM'S 24TH ANNIVERSARY <#a02>
** WORKMAN'S BOOKS ANNOUNCES FIFTH BID SALE <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: MEGA RED 8TH EDITION <#a04>
** NEW BOOK: TYPE TWO DOUBLE EAGLES 1866-1876 <#a05>
** NEW BOOK: THE TWENTY CASH COMMENTARY <#a06>
** BOOK REVIEW: NAVAL AND MARITIME ENGRAVED COINS <#a07>
** LANE JERRY BRUNNER (1963-2022) <#a08>
** VIDEO: LANE J. BRUNNER, COIN COLLECTING BASICS <#a09>
** VIDEO: SS CENTRAL AMERICA SILVER COINS <#a10>
** FORGING SECRETS BOOK LAUNCH <#a11>
** INSTITUTE FOR SILVER DOLLAR EDUCATION <#a12>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: SEPTEMBER 4, 2022 <#a13>
** ROBERT MEBANE RAMSAY (1913-1996) <#a14>
** RED BOOK EDITOR JEFF GARRETT <#a15>
** VOCABULARY TERM: LOGOTYPE <#a16>
** THE BUSINESS OF NUMISMATICS IN 2022 <#a17>
** NUMISMAGRAM KARL GOETZ MEDALS <#a18>
** ARCHIVES INTERNATIONAL AUCTION 79 HIGHLIGHTS <#a19>
** WORLD BANKNOTE AUCTIONS SALE 31 HIGHLIGHTS <#a20>
** SOVEREIGN RARITIES SEPTEMBER 2022 SALE  <#a21>
** KüNKER AUCTION SALE 372 HIGHLIGHTS <#a22>
** KüNKER AUCTION SALE 373 HIGHLIGHTS <#a23>
** GADOURY OCTOBER 15, 2022 AUCTION <#a24>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: SEPTEMBER 4, 2022 <#a25>
** NOVA CONSTELLATIO COPPERS, PART 1 <#a26>
** A BONAPARTE ON HOLLAND’S COINS <#a27>
** "CONFEDERATE" COINS IN MACON TIME CAPSULE <#a28>
** THE JUNK ON THE 1932 SUN YAT-SEN DOLLAR <#a29>
** AUSTRALIAN SIGNALS DIRECTORATE COIN <#a30>
** LOOSE CHANGE: SEPTEMBER 4, 2022 <#a31>
** FEATURED WEBSITE: BANKNOTE ART CONCEPT <#a32>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM SEPTEMBER 4, 2022

This week we open with remarks on our anniversary, a numismatic literature sale announcement, three new books, a review, an obituary,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and more.

Other topics this week include engraved coins, a book launch event, Silver Dollar research, Robert Ramsay, Holland Wallace, Jeff Garrett, Lane Brunner, logotypes, Karl Goetz medals, tons of auction previews (great numismatic eye candy!), Nova Constellatio coppers, coded coins, and the junk on the 1932 Sun Yat-Sen dollar.

To learn more about the new MEGA RED, Type Two Double Eagles, twenty-cent pieces, Operation Bernard, 'Story of Money' Trade Cards, the Shortage of Shipping Tonnage medal, the American Colonization Society, the Edward VIII brass pattern Threepence,  Dutch medals, Confederate coins,
and Mint custard, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

THE E-SYLUM'S 24TH ANNIVERSARY

On September 4, 1998 the first issue of what we now call The E-Sylum was emailed to a list of members and friends of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society. Now archived on our web site as Volume 1, Number 1, that first message started the ball rolling.  That email went to 49 people. As the word spread, subscription requests arrived from around the world and by September 15 there were 90 subscribers.

WHAT'S WITH THE FUNNY NAME? Well, our organization is the Numismatic Bibliomania Society, a group for people who love coin books and are crazy for any and all information about numismatics. Our print journal is The Asylum, so our electronic publication naturally became The E-Sylum. While The E-Sylum is free to all, only paid members of NBS receive The Asylum.

An excerpt from the September 4, 1998 message:

"A number of folks signed up at the meeting in Portland. To that initial group we've added the addresses of other current and former members that the Board is aware of, plus a few numismatic pen pals we thought might be interested.

This is intended to be a moderated, low-volume mailing list, with no more than one message every week or so. Its purpose and use will evolve over time - please send us your comments and suggestions.

In the meantime, please visit our web site, and forward this note to any other email pen-pal you think might have an interest. Remember, the list isn't limited to only NBS members. Don't assume they're already on the list; we're starting small, but with your help we can grow."

And grow and evolve we did.  Each issue now contains 25 to 30 (and sometimes more) articles, and our subscription list includes some 7,000 email addresses.  Rather than just a vehicle for announcements about the Numismatic Bibliomania Society, we've become  a weekly forum where "numismatic bibliophiles, researchers and just plain collectors" congregate to exchange information and ideas about numismatics and numismatic research. Most of the top numismatic authors, curators and collectors around the U.S. and the world are subscribers and contributors.
Here are some reader comments:

David W. Lange:

"Each week The E-Sylum is my most eagerly awaited read. The brightest minds in numismatics contribute to it over such a varied range of topics. While numismatic literature is the driving theme, I find that peripheral anecdotes and objects still find ready acceptance. Since I collect and study items that pertain to the history of the numismatic hobby, I appreciate being able to share these with readers, and their inclusion often launches a variety of responses the following week that add to my own knowledge."

Darryl Atchison:

"I live in Ireland and the nearest coin club is over 200 miles away from me. Still, I never feel isolated! Every Monday morning, I get to hang out with some of the finest numismatists from around the world through the pages of The E-Sylum which is by far the best numismatic publication out there. Got a question? Ask away. You're almost sure to get an answer - no matter what the topic! In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a friendlier, more knowledgeable group of people anywhere. And besides all that, it's free!"

Along the way we've won multiple awards including the Burnett Anderson Memorial Award for Excellence in Numismatic Writing and back-to-back First Place awards in the electronic category of the American Numismatic Association's Barbara J. Gregory Outstanding Club Publications competition on 2021 and 2022.

Despite the work that goes into each issue, it's always fun to put together.  Our readers and fine advertisers are what keep me going - you folks are the best any editor could dream for.  It's been a great 24 years, and we're not done growing and evolving.  Thanks for all your kind words and support.

For other reader comments, or to read our online archive, see:

http://e-sylum.org/

WORKMAN'S BOOKS ANNOUNCES FIFTH BID SALE

Alan Workman has a new website and his latest sale is open for registration.
-Editor

Workman's Books has published a new website that is being hosted through the online payment company Square. In an effort to modernize our website and to provide a better shopping experience, Workman's Books has chosen to develop and stock a new website. The new site will provide better organization, better search capabilities, better item photo hosting, and will provide for a better experience for users of mobile devices. Eventually, all inventory will be moved over to the new site. As of this announcement, only new acquisitions are being listed for sale. Following the end of our October sale, site updates featuring new inventory will resume so stay tuned to your inbox for future update announcements.

Workman's Books is announcing our upcoming Fifth sale and Part III of Selections from the library of long-time dealer, collector, and author, Holland Wallace. The sale will include rare, vintage, and out-of-print numismatic books, auction sale catalogs, dealer fixed price lists, and numismatic journals with subject matter focusing on the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central & South America, Europe, Portugal, Spain, Spanish colonial, Islamic, and Asian numismatics. The selections for this sale include important works and sales by Album, Bailey, Breton, Bruns, Burzio, Calbeto, Calico, Cayon, Chapman, Christie's, Christensen, Douglas, Elder, Ferrari, Gadoury, Glendining, Grove, Leroux, Low, Medina, Ponterio, Pradeau, Pridmore, Prober, Schulman, Sellschopp, Sotheby's, Stack's, Superior, and many others. Accompanying the Wallace library will be a large collection of vintage and rare books, auction catalogs, magazines, maps, and ephemera on shipwrecks, sunken treasure, lost t
 reasure, treasure hunting, lost mines, and treasure in the American West.

This bid sale is being held through the online venue iCollector, and all registrations, approvals, and bids will be handled there. For this bid sale the lots will be closing on a timed interval with extensions of 1 minute for any bids placed within 1 minute of closing. If you already have an iCollector account, you still must "GET APPROVED" to bid for each sale by entering and confirming your information for this bid sale, like reviewing your shipping information and choosing your preferred way of payment. Remember, tie bids go to the earliest bidders, so don't wait for the lots to close to bid on anything for which you have a strict number in mind.

Now is the perfect time to register for the bid sale, as any registration issues can certainly be accommodated more easily in advance. Do not wait to register on the last day. Registration and bidding online are always FREE (no extra fees or percentages for bidding online). Once you are registered and automatically approved, first be sure to bookmark the items that interest you.

To go to the sale, see:

Selections from the Holland Wallace Library Part III and other Consignments Sale 5

(https://www.icollector.com/Selections-from-the-Holland-Wallace-Library-Part-III-and-other-Consignments-Sale-5_as83995)

To view new offerings and visit the website:

https://workmansbooks.square.site/

NEW BOOK: MEGA RED 8TH EDITION

Dennis Tucker forwarded this press release on the new edition of MEGA RED, the pumped-up edition of the Red Book. Thanks!
-Editor

“Odd” U.S. Coins are Featured in

Whitman Publishing’s New 8th Edition of MEGA RED

The eighth edition of MEGA RED (the Deluxe Edition of the Guide Book
of United States Coins) made its coin-show debut at the 2022 American Numismatic Association
World’s Fair of Money. The 1,504-page MEGA RED can now be ordered online (including at
Whitman.com) and is available from booksellers and hobby shops nationwide.

Every U.S. coinage series has been updated and revised in the eighth edition. The book includes
nearly 300 pages of expanded study of two-cent pieces, copper-nickel three-cent pieces, silver
trimes, half dimes, twenty-cent pieces, and $1, $3, and $4 gold coins.

More than a dozen appendices explore specialized subjects such as patterns, error and misstruck
coins, and counterstamped coins of the featured types. One 19-page appendix, based on the work
of James A. Haxby and Harvey B. Richer, studies Canadian “half dimes” (five-cent silver coins)
and twenty-cent pieces and their relation to United States coinage. William Bierly, author of In
God We Trust: The American Civil War, Money, Banking, and Religion, contributed an appendix
on pattern two-cent pieces.

Billed as the “biggest, most useful Red Book ever,” MEGA RED measures 7 x 10 inches and has
1,040 more pages than the regular edition. The larger size and increased page count combined
make MEGA RED five times bigger than the regular-edition Red Book. It prices more than 9,000
items in up to 13 grades each, with 50,000 individual values and more than 15,000 auction
records covering circulated, Mint State, and Proof coinage. The book is illustrated with
thousands of full-color images, including hundreds that are new to this edition.

MEGA RED covers American coinage from New England colonial times to the modern day—
half cents through $20 gold double eagles, plus bullion, commemoratives, Proof and Mint sets,
error coins, significant tokens and medals, coins struck by the United States for the Philippines (1903–1945), and other numismatic collectibles. It follows the basic structure of the regular-
edition Red Book, but each chapter is dramatically expanded with more historical information, more die varieties, detailed grading instructions with enlarged full-color illustrations, specialized
advice on strike characteristics and other technical details, market analysis, auction data, and
guidance on collecting and investing in rare coins.

Q. David Bowers is the book’s Senior Editor. Jeff Garrett is its Valuations Editor. Kenneth
Bressett serves as Editor Emeritus. A richly illustrated 83-page introduction, “The History of
Coins in America, 1607 to Date,” is the work of Bowers. More than 120 numismatists have
contributed research, photographs, market analysis, and other valuable knowledge and resources.
The eighth edition of MEGA RED includes a study of Chinese counterfeit coins by Beth
Deisher, and a 2022 Coin Market Report by Jeff Garrett. Jeff Shevlin and Bill Hyder contributed
an illustrated appendix on So-Called Dollars, with a focus on medals of the 1893 World’s
Columbian Exposition. An in-depth 24-page appendix on American Arts Gold Medallions is the
work of Dennis Tucker.

Each year’s new MEGA RED features an expanded focus on one or more coin series. The first
edition included a 364-page section on copper half cents and large cents, with images, history,
diagnostics, and pricing for 832 die varieties, 1793–1857. The second edition featured 330 pages
covering 607 varieties of Flying Eagle, Indian Head, and Lincoln cents, 1856 to date. The third
edition’s feature was on nickel five-cent pieces—Shield nickels, Liberty Head nickels, Buffalo
nickels, and Jefferson nickels—covering 545 varieties in 314 pages. Other editions have studied
dimes, quarter dollars, half dollars, and silver and related dollars.

For federal coins, detailed charts show each mintage; a summary of certified population data;
average national retail prices in grades ranging from About Good to high Mint State and Proof;
and three or more recent auction records for most coins. Enlarged close-ups of die varieties
provide visual guidance. Extensive chart notes give the backstories and additional details on
significant coins.

MEGA RED: A Guide Book of United States Coins, Deluxe Edition, 8th edition

ISBN 0794849660

1,504 pages, full color, $59.95 retail

By R.S. Yeoman; Senior Editor Q. David Bowers; Valuations Editor Jeff Garrett; Editor Emeritus Kenneth Bressett

NEW BOOK: TYPE TWO DOUBLE EAGLES 1866-1876

This press release discusses the new Fuljenz book on Type Two Double Eagles.
-Editor

An updated, expanded version is now available of the award-winning United States gold coins reference book, Type Two Double Eagles 1866-1876, a Numismatic History and Analysis, by prominent rare coin dealer and author Dr. Michael Fuljenz.

At the World’s Fair of Money®, the Numismatic Literary Guild honored it as the 2022 Best Investment Book of the Year. It is the second time Fuljenz has been honored with an Investment Book of the Year award on the topic of Type Two Double Eagles.

“The Type Two design was the first Double Eagle to include the motto, IN GOD WE TRUST, and is an important part of United States coinage,” said Fuljenz.

The new, 117-page edition with full-color illustrations of every coin provides collectors with useful information about the 31 different $20 denomination gold business strikes and proofs produced at the Carson City, Philadelphia, and San Francisco mints between 1866 and 1876. It gives easy access to rarity rankings, striking and luster characteristics, eye appeal, and other useful information to build a collection.

Readers will learn about the history and development of the Type Two Liberty Head and its design elements, historical price valuations, celebrities who collect these types of coins, what examples are in the National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History, and tips about how collectors can safely store and protect their coins to avoid theft.

Fuljenz, president of Universal Coin & Bullion (www.UniversalCoin.com) in Beaumont, Texas, includes a consumer protection advisory section about counterfeit Double Eagles produced in China and offered to unsuspecting buyers in the U.S. marketplace.

There is also information about the IN GOD WE TRUST motto and Peter the Eagle, the bald eagle that lived at the United States Mint in Philadelphia in the 1830s which inspired the eagle design on the reverse of the Double Eagles.

The price for Type Two Double Eagles 1866-1876 is $29.95 postage paid; however, for a limited time, the book can be ordered for only $10 postage paid by using the special discount price code “Ray,” (Mike’s middle name). A complimentary copy of the book also can be obtained using that code for anyone purchasing a PCGS or NGC-certified gold coin from Universal Coin & Bullion.

For additional information and to order a copy of the book, contact Universal Coin & Bullion at 800-822-4653 or visit online at

www.UniversalCoin.com.

NEW BOOK: THE TWENTY CASH COMMENTARY

Michael Zachary submitted this announcement of his new book on the Twenty Cash coins of China.  Thanks, and congratulations.
-Editor

I'd like to announce the publishing of my new guidebook, “The Twenty Cash Commentary: The General Issue Twenty Cash, Two Fen, Two Xian, and Two Cent Coins of the Republic of China (1912-41),” which is now available on Amazon.  The title is a mouthful, but it fully explains the scope of the book, which is 33 pages long.  I attach a copy of the book’s cover.

As reflected by its title, the guide covers all of the general issue twenty cash, two fen, two xian, and two cent coins of the Republic of China issued from 1912 to 1941, including the dragon “restrikes” issued under Republic-era governments.  It covers 49 varieties, as compared to the 16 varieties in the Standard Catalog of World Coins.  For example, it covers the four varieties of Y-308, the three varieties of Y-308a, the three varieties of Y-312, and the several varieties of each of the Hu-Poo dragon restrikes, Y-5, Y-5.1, and Y-5.2 (and explains the easy way to distinguish Y-5.1 from Y-5.2).

In addition to describing the varieties of the coins that currently can be found in the Standard Catalog, it includes varieties that are not in the Standard Catalog – for example, the varieties with the obverse of Y-308 and the reverse of Y-308a (and vice versa), which previously only could be found in Chinese-language guides.  It also covers pattern, fantasy, and private issue twenty cash and two fen coins issued during those years.  The detailed text and photographs will allow confident identification of the coins covered by the guide and collectors will hopefully appreciate the background information found throughout the book (the “Commentary” mentioned in the title).

This guide is a follow-up to my guide to the general issue ten cash coins, entitled “The Ten Cash Commentary: The General Issue Ten Cash Coins of the Republic of China,” which is also available on Amazon.

For more information, or to order, see:

THE TWENTY CASH COMMENTARY: THE GENERAL ISSUE TWENTY CASH, TWO FEN, TWO XIAN, AND TWO CENT COINS OF THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA (1912-41) Paperback – August 27, 2022

(https://www.amazon.com/TWENTY-CASH-COMMENTARY-GENERAL-REPUBLIC/dp/B0BC5ZZTZY/ref=sr_1_1)

The Ten Cash Commentary:: The General Issue Ten Cash Coins of the Republic of China Paperback – February 24, 2015

(https://www.amazon.com/Ten-Cash-Commentary-General-Republic/dp/1508408211/ref=sr_1_1)

BOOK REVIEW: NAVAL AND MARITIME ENGRAVED COINS

Carol Bastable published a book review in the August 2022 issue of the Love Letter, which she edits for the Love Token Society.  With permission, we're republishing it here.
-Editor

I came across an engraved coin book on eBay about a month ago
and I was quick to purchase it so I could add it to my library of
love token books. I recall a LTS member asking me about a book
previously this year and I think this is the same book. At the
time, when I was described the nature of the book, I thought
that it might have been the prisoner token book that came out
around the millennium. However, the title was different than I
had recalled. I would say this is a new love token reference book,
but it was published back in 2004 in England. Good news sure
travels slowly.

The problem with books sold on the internet is that you cannot
leaf through the pages to see what is included in the book. Upon
reading the description about the book, I learned that there were
140 pieces covered with nearly 300 pages of text and images and
16 pages of color plates. The author Sim Comfort states,
“Contained in this octavo volume is the first full study of
maritime engraved coins and all the various types of ships found
in this rare art form. The time span is from the mid 18th to the
beginning of the 20th century. Included are 140 pieces that
depict the great men-of-war during the age of fighting,
Indiamen, privateers, convict ships, slavers and numerous
merchantmen.”

The coins are organized chronologically by the author. Those
that do not bear engraved dates are estimated by a ship’s name
or style of a ship. The first engraved coin pictured is dated 1745
and the final coin is the Grand Fleet 1918. I immediately thought
of Fred Schwan and his interest in WWI and WWII engraved
coins. As soon as it arrived in the mail, I was snapping photos
and sending them to Fred. Included were two HMS
Dreadnought engraved coins. After I had Fred sufficiently
salivating with excitement, I then sat down for about three hours
and started reading the book.

I love the layout of the book as a reference. Each coin has a
header with a few words to describe the coin (ex. Ship’s name,
battle name, memento mori, anchor, steamship, etc....). Then
the obverse and reverse of the coin are pictured below in a nice
large size for viewing. Under the coin, in bold text are
subheadings of Description, Condition, Background,
Nationality, and Date. It is very easy to follow and it is full of
history about the ships and people. I love all the coin designs
and they are probably easier to view and enjoy in the book than
in hand because the one thing about early copper engraved
coins is that they can often be very dark and harder to view.

For more information about the Love Token Society, see:

http://lovetokensociety.com/

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: NAVAL AND MARITIME ENGRAVED COINS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n22a09.html)

LANE JERRY BRUNNER (1963-2022)

American Numismatic Biographies author Pete Smith submitted this
article on numismatic author and ANA staffer and instructor Lane Brunner. Thanks.  Thanks also to David Lisot for passing along the initial announcement from the University of Texas at Tyler, where Brunner was the founding Dean of the College of Pharmacy.
-Editor

Lane Brunner was born on June 23, 1963. He was married to Molly Ann with three children.

Brunner received a B.S. in Pharmacy from the University of Washington School of pharmacy in
1987. He followed with an M.S. from the University of Texas in 1992 and a PharmD from the
University of Georgia in 1995.

He had instructor positions at the University of Houston 1986-1990, University of Georgia 1991-
1993, Medical College of Georgia 1993-1994, and The University of Texas 1994 to 2004.

Brunner joined the ANA in 1982 as member 161378, and in 2003 he converted to ANA life
membership 5681. Brunner taught a class on “Coins in the Classroom” during the ANA Summer
Seminar in 2004. On October 4, 2004, he took a position at the ANA as director of numismatic
curriculum and education development. In 2005 he was called numismatic outreach director. On
December 1, 2006, he was promoted to Deputy Executive Director of Museum, Library and
Research Services. He was tasked with developing a proposed American Money and Gold
Museum in the Old San Francisco Mint and another museum in Washington, D.C. Neither was to
come to pass. He departed on June 15 of 2007.

Brunner became the founding dean of the School of Pharmacy at Regis University in 2007-2010.
He was then professor at California Northstate College of Pharmacy 2010-2013. In August of
2013, he became the founding dean of the Ben and Maytee Fisch College of Pharmacy at the
University of Texas at Tyler.

Along with co-author John M. Frost, he wrote Double Dimes - the United States Twenty-cent
Piece published in 2014.

Brunner died on August 31, 2022, following an extended illness.

John Frost submitted this remembrance.  Thank you.
-Editor

It is with great sadness that I report that my friend and co-author, Lane J. Brunner, has passed away
peacefully on August 31, in the presence of his family. Last fall, Lane was diagnosed with stage four
glioblastoma in his brain. After undergoing radiation and chemotherapy, Lane showed signs of
improvement. I visited him in January, and despite some remaining memory impairment, he looked
comfortable and was happy to see a couple of my latest twenty-cent piece acquisitions.

Throughout the spring, he made substantial improvement, including significantly decreased edema in
the brain and a reduction in tumor size, and messages I received on his progress were guardedly
optimistic. We were hopeful that his treatment regimen would result in some extended and quality
time. Lane and I were going to get back together to begin work on the Second Edition of our
Double Dimes book in January and I was going to visit him later this month to spend a little time
with him and make tentative plans. Except for 2021 when I had a mild case of Covid, Lane and I
got together every January in Tyler TX for lunch, catching up, and good old double dime coin talk, a
highlight of my winter trips.

Unfortunately, a rapid and unexpected downturn in mid-August signaled advancement of the cancer.
Lane and his family accepted the inevitable and he entered hospice care. To his family, Lane was
Mr. Happy Shiny Guy, as his loving wife Molly put it, the ever optimist.

A celebration of his life was held on Saturday September 3rd, at the University of Texas at Tyler,
where Lane was the Founding Dean and a Professor at the College of Pharmacy. Throughout his
illness, Lane and his family had great support of his students, faculty, and staff.

His loss will probably hit me the hardest when I resume work on our Second Edition, the project we
were looking forward to doing together. And whenever I find some cool twenty-cent piece and
want to call him to tell him about it. He was one of those few individuals that I would describe as
an R-7. I’ll miss him terribly.

My favorite photo is shown below, when Lane (left) and I spent an entire week together immersed
in study of over 700 twenty-cent pieces, combining and organizing our individual research for the
first time. Lane described the week as the “Greatest Nerd-fest in the History of Double Dimes.”

Thanks also to Barbara Gregory, who passed along articles from The Numismatist with background on his ANA career.  See David Lisot's video of Lane's Coin Collecting Basics talk elsewhere in this issue.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: DOUBLE DIMES – THE U.S. TWENTY-CENT PIECE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n31a02.html)

DOUBLE DIMES BOOK ADDENDA AVAILABLE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n36a07.html)

VIDEO: LANE J. BRUNNER, COIN COLLECTING BASICS

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's Lane Brunner's Coin Collecting Basics talk. See Brunner's obituary elsewhere in this issue.
-Editor

Coin Collecting Basics

Speaker: Lane J. Brunner, Ph.D.

Videographer, David Lisot.

Presented at the American Numismatic Association Convention,

Numismatic Theatre, Kansas City, Missouri, 2005.

Length: 39:04

An informative introduction of the many ways to benefit and learn about collecting coins. Presented by Lane Brunner, ANA Education Director, you will learn about: * the meaning of numismatics * coins as a reflection of culture * examples of state quarters and their significance as well as earlier coins and paper money * changes in money brought about by way * importance of condition and grading * history and value, handling and storage, cleaning, and things for which collectors should watch out.

David adds:

"Lane Brunner was a professor at the University of Texas at Tyler and 25-year member of the ANA. He joined the American Numismatic Association in 2004 as Director of Numismatic Curriculum. He eventually became Deputy Executive Director until he returned to academia as a founding dean of the School of Pharmacy for Regis College. He taught numerous numismatic courses, seminars and workshops at ANA conventions, Summer Seminars and at The University of Texas.

"Lane was one the best lecturers I ever videotaped. I was fortunate to be able to get Lane on video discussing multiple numismatic topics many of which can be found on the Newman Numismatic Portal. He presented his ideas in an easy-to-understand manner. He was gentle and knowledgeable. He never lost his love for the coin collecting hobby continuing to go to local coin conventions. He was a friend to all and will be missed. Numismatics has lost one of its great proponents."

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/557169

VIDEO: SS CENTRAL AMERICA SILVER COINS

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is a video of Bob Evans discussing silver coins from the SS Central America. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Silver Coins from the SS Central America

While gold grabs the public mindshare like nothing else, the recovery of silver coins from the most recent SS Central America salvage effort is remarkable in its own right. At the recent ANA convention, Bob Evans spoke to the Liberty Seated Collectors Club on the silver coins recovered from the SS Central America. These pieces survived in amazingly original condition (many were certified by CAC) in what is normally a harsh, corrosive environment for silver objects. Bob explains the science of this surprising preservation and enthusiastically conveys his continued fascination with this bit of American maritime history.

Link to Bob Evans’ ANA presentation on NNP:

https://archive.org/details/lscc2022annualmtgpres

FORGING SECRETS BOOK LAUNCH

Louise Boling published an article about the  Forging Secrets book launch event at last month's ANA convention in the latest issue of MPC Gram, the newsletter for collectors of Military Payment Certificates and other military numismatica (MPCGram Series 23 No. 2538 3 Sep 2022).
With permission, we're republishing it here.  Thank you.
-Editor

Danny Spungen and Joe Boling

Collectors of military currency celebrated an event of great significance this evening: the release of the book Forging Secrets: Faces and Facts Inside the Nazi Operation Bernard Scheme. The publication of this book marks the culmination of the work of many workers, including several Festers.  Among the attendees at this festive event were Festers Steve Feller and Ray Feller, Roger Urce, Dave Frank, Jim Downey, and Danny Spungen, co-authors, Joseph Boling, co-author and general editor, as well as Festers Danah Downey, Neil Shafer, Brian Geise, Louise Boling, Kathy Freeland, and Jeffrey Daniher [Zoom fester].

Others in attendance were Agnes Ohm, Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial, Curator and Historian and co-author, Debbi Walter, daughter of Hans Walter, co-author, Kiel Majewski, executive director of the Spungen Family Foundation and book publisher, Douglas Mudd, curator of the ANA Money Museum, Joel Shafer, Glen Jorde, Oded Paz, Simcha Kuritzky, and many other luminaries of the numismatic world. Following is a description of the event and the book, taken from the Florence and Laurence Spungen Foundation invitation to the event:

“In continuing with a tradition of hosting unique educational events at numismatic gatherings, the Spungen Foundation invites you to celebrate the release of a new book, Forging Secrets, with a dinner event at this year’s World’s Fair of Money®. Forging Secrets tells the story of Operation Bernhard, the Nazi counterfeiting scheme which used concentration camp prisoners to forge Bank of England notes in an effort to destabilize the British economy during WWII.

This book is one-of-a-kind, both in look and content. It features a die-cut cover, special insert sleeves for Operation Bernhard notes, and sixteen (16) different authors, aided by an army of researchers, translators, and volunteers. Your keynote speakers and panelists for the evening will include Agnes Ohm, Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial, Curator and Historian; and Debbie Walter, daughter of Hans Walter, one of the forgers of Operation Bernhard.”

The evening opened with a rousing performance by Melody Elegy Studio youth choir, with singers from the Chicago Ukrainian community. These young singers gave a fiery performance of the Ukrainian national anthem as well as several other numbers urging support of the Ukrainian people.  Funds the choir raises support Revived Soldiers Ukraine, a non-profit dedicated to “providing aid to the people of Ukraine and to the medical rehabilitation of Ukrainian soldiers.” (From their website.)

Debbi Walter spoke on growing up with Holocaust survivor and (in)famous forger (and Fester!) Hans Walter, and Agnes Ohm, on Sachsenhausen and Operation Bernard.  Finally there was a panel of Agnes Ohm, Debbi Walter, and Joseph Boling, moderated by Kiel Majewski, answering questions from the attendees.  Each book is numbered: X of 1000.  Book #1 was auctioned with a short but exciting bidding war, and was won by Chris and Sharon Bower, of the Indianapolis Coin Club, with a bid of $500.00, which will support the work of the Spungen Foundation.

To subscribe to the MPC Gram, see:

https://guide.us13.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=10eb366ab80344a56657e0d5d&id=58874b37e1
.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: FORGING SECRETS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n28a04.html)

NEW BOOK: FORGING SECRETS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n31a05.html)

INSTITUTE FOR SILVER DOLLAR EDUCATION

These press releases discuss the founding of the new Institute for Silver Dollar Education and Research.  I added the Morgan dollar reverse image.
-Editor

 Introducing The Institute for Silver Dollar Education and Research

Michael S. Fey, Ph.D., Jeff Oxman, and John Baumgart have formed a new not-for-profit Delaware corporation called, “The Institute for Silver Dollar Education and Research,” (The Institute).  It was formed to continue the educational contributions of Leroy Van Allen and A. George Mallis (VAM) during their lifetimes of research and cataloging. The product of these efforts was published in their ground-breaking reference book, The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars, along with more than a dozen other volumes dealing with VAM collecting. Ultimately, focus of the Van Allen/Mallis team was to help the public attribute and collect U.S. silver dollars, and that remains the Institute’s mission, as well.

 An 1896 $1 Silver Certificate (Educational Note) forms the basis of the Institute’s new corporate logo, and images of the 2nd U.S. Mint, a Morgan and Peace silver dollar, and the corporate name are all featured in the artwork.

The basis of the Institute’s research library is the recent acquisition by Dr. Fey of the Leroy Van Allen Estate, his reference books, coins and library, each of which represents Van Allen’s legacy in both research and education about Morgan and Peace dollars. Van Allen, who devoted his entire life to the hobby, cannot easily be replaced, but Dr. Fey has assembled a “Who’s Who” of Morgan and Peace silver dollar experts to get the Institute off the ground.  Fey, Oxman and Baumgart have become the founding Board of Governors and Baumgart is its new Executive Director.

 A key function of the Institute will be to attribute new Morgan and Peace dollar varieties, and assign VAM Numbers to all new discoveries. Leroy Van Allen, Bill Fivaz, David Close, M.D., John Roberts, Michael Faraone, Larry Briggs, David Lange and Randy Campbell have volunteered to serve on the Advisory Board.  Baumgart will be the chief attributor, and from time-to-time will be relying on one of the above specialists for assistance in determining new Morgan silver dollar varieties and errors, along with correcting VAM book listing mistakes. Dr. Close will do the same for Peace silver dollars.

Robert W. Julian and Roger Burdette have volunteered as co-historians, adding critical knowledge to the history and evolution of Morgan and Peace silver dollars.

Alex Nocerino, a New York lawyer, and knowledgeable VAM dealer, has volunteered to provide general pro bono legal counsel.

Len Augsburger, noted seated specialist and Project coordinator of the Eric P. Newman Numismatic Portal (NNP) at Washington University in St. Louis has offered technical assistance and document repository space in getting nearly two dozen references on the internet.

Several positions in the organization still need filling, and in particular, a knowledgeable silver dollar expert volunteer to help the organization with social media marketing and advertising is being sought.  A web domain, “Ilovesilverdollars.com”, has been secured and a professional website is being constructed.

In the future, we envision the Institute for Silver Dollar Education and Research as a major supporter of the hobby, and for those who are like-minded, we are seeking your participation.

There are various levels of involvement as a donor:  Founding Organization: $5000+ [Gem+ Donor], $1000 min.; $500+ [Gem Donor], $250 [Mint State Donor]: $100 [Circulated Donor], $25 [Friend of the Institute], and lastly, a vintage silver dollar or any other amount [Supporter].  Those organizations and individuals who donate this year will remain on our “Founding Donor” webpage as long as the organization exists!

Thank you in advance for your consideration in supporting our efforts to continue Leroy’s research and education about silver dollars.  Indeed, we believe everyone in the hobby, including the collecting public, dealers, Grading Services, and even Auction Houses have greatly benefited from the efforts of Van Allen and Mallis, and it is our hope to facilitate continuing his legacy into the future.  As Dr. Fey has frequently stated, “In numismatics, Leroy Van Allen has touched all of our lives in the hobby, and it’s safe to say that in the future we all will continue to stand on his shoulders.”

 Bill Fivaz Donates Early Silver Dollar Files to
the Institute for Silver Dollar Education and Research

Noted Variety collector Bill Fivaz, co-author of the Cherrypickers’ Guide donated a box of early historical files and records about Morgan and Peace silver dollars to the Institute of Silver Dollar Education and Research.

According to Dr. Michael S. Fey, The Institute’s Chairman, this represents some of the earliest research and development efforts on discovery and frequency of observations of various silver dollar varieties known.  Contributions and some personal correspondence by early silver dollar experts in the 1970’s included:  Leroy Van Allen, A. George Mallis, Pete Bishal, Ted Clark, Randy Campbell, Tom Delorey, Martin Field, Bob Reithe, Hoyt Warren and others.   Morgan and Peace Silver dollar variety collectors rest on the shoulders of these pioneers.

In the 1970’s Bill Fivaz formed a “VAM Club within the Numismatic Error Collectors of American” (NECA), which was a forerunner to the “Combined Organization of Numismatic Error Collectors of America (CONECA), with nearly 1000 members today.  Along with publisher Leroy Van Allen, and Chairman Randy Campbell, Fivaz contributed 34 VAM Club Reports, published in the NECA Dollar Varieties and Error Scrapbook (1979).

The files will be retained in the Institute’s Library for further historical analysis and future publication.

Bill Fivaz is a former American Numismatic Association (ANA) Governor, a Farren Zerbe and Numismatist of the Year awardee, was inducted into the ANA Hall of Fame in 2002, and has an Honorary Doctorate of Numismatics Award.

We'll look forward to hearing more from the new group.
-Editor

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: SEPTEMBER 4, 2022

 'Story of Money' Trade Cards List Found
Regarding Steve Woodland's question about the 'Story of Money' Trade Cards,
Julia Casey writes:

"I searched the newspapers and located the advertising campaign for Steve Woodland's Story of Money trade cards.  It seemed to have started in most places on January 17, 1921 and was to run for 56 days with a new card each day.  There are some outliers though, most notably the October 4, 1921 Seattle Star had an ad from the National Bread Company, which I have attached because it has some elaborate prize details.

"I hit the jackpot with the attached ad in the February 18, 1921 Courier-Journal (Louisville, Kentucky) from the Whiteside Bakery Co. (Betsy Ross Bread-Dixie Tea Biscuits), which contained a list of the 56 cards.   And they offered a "bright, new silver dollar" for a complete set!"

 The truth is often out there - we just need to find it.
Thanks, Julia!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: AUGUST 28, 2022 : 'Story of Money' Trade Cards Information Sought

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n35a17.html)

 More on Orville "Jim" Grady
Brad Karoleff writes:

"I was sorry to hear of OJ's passing in the last issue of The E-Sylum.  I too was one of the multitude of collectors who benefited from the robust group of booksellers who plied their trade in the last couple decades of the 20th century.

"My travels through the mid-west to coin shows during that time period brought me in contact with Orville, soon to be just OJ to me.  He always had a display of numismatic literature that caused me to pause at his table for a perusal and conversation.  I always came away with a tidbit of knowledge and often a new book, auction catalog or phamphlet for my library.  I can't imagine going through the hobby without the access to the numismatic literature that the dealers of the day provided.  My favorite tables were often manned by OJ, "Big John" Burns, Charlie Davis and, of course, George Kolbe and David Fanning.  I would not be near the numismatist I am today without their help and inventory.  You always met the most interesting people at a convention at the booksellers tables.  It was a place for meeting the true numismatists of the industry.

"Grady was the "good old boy" of the fraternity.  As others have stated, he was not known for having the highest end of literature available for sale but he almost always had something of interest.  I collect autographed numismatic literature and would often show up at OJ's table and ask if he had anything "special" for me.  One day he produced a dirty, dingy almost disbound catalog for my inspection.  I looked at him a little cross-eyed and asked him what was so special about that particular book.  He smiled and opened it to an inner page handed it to me and continued to grin.  The inscription is illustrated here.  I, obviously, had to own that book!  I was quoted a number much less than anticipated and closed the purchase.

"I took the book to my binder here in Cincinnati, the Ohio Bookstore, and had them put a new leather cover on the book to preserve it for future generations.  It has a place of honor on my bookshelf and is a gentle reminder of a kind and generous member of our fraternity."

Ron Guth writes:

"The news of Orville Grady's passing was sad indeed.  Orville was a real gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. In 2017, PCGS purchased the remainder of his inventory of auction catalogs, making PCGS his biggest-ever customer, perhaps not in terms of value but in terms of sheer volume.  What I remember most about the transaction was arranging a shipment by semi-truck of 165 heavy boxes from his home to PCGS headquarters in Southern California.  The shipping quotes we received were all over the board, with the highest ones exceeding the purchase price for the catalogs."

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

ORVILLE "JIM" GRADY (1944-2022)

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n35a12.html)

ROBERT MEBANE RAMSAY (1913-1996)

Pete Smith submitted this article about National Currency researcher and author Robert M. Ramsay.  Thank you!
-Editor

This week I get to correct an error in numismatic literature that has existed for 45 years. The co-authors and compilers of National Banks of the United States, 1863-1935 are always listed as
Robert M. Ramsey and Robert V. Polito. The first author was actually Robert M. Ramsay.

Robert Ramsay was born on May 27, 1913, in Columbia, Missouri. His parents were an English
professor Dr. Robert Lee Ramsay (1880-1953) and Margaret Whitehead Prentis Ramsay (1877-1959. The father published references on Missouri place names.

The son graduated from the University of Missouri. During the Second World War, he served in
Alaska with the U. S. Army Air Corps. He married Elsie Irene Bower Ramsay (1917-1990).
They had a son and a daughter. He worked for Armstrong Cork Co, first in Camden, New Jersey
and later in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

The ANA was confused about his name. He is listed twenty times in The Numismatist as Ramsay
and six times as Ramsey. Ramsay joined the ANA as member 18364 in 1950, living at the time
in Paradise, Pennsylvania. In 1954 he was secretary for the Cloister Coin Club. In 1954, The
Numismatist published a letter from Robert M Ramsey of Paradise, PA. In 1981, the ANA
Library received a copy of National Banks of the United States, 1863-1935, by Robert M.
Ramsey and published by Steinmetz Coins and Currency.

In 1975, Ramsey was recognized as a 25-year member. It was Ramsay who was recognized as an
ANA 40-Year member in 1990 and in 2000 as a 50-year member, four years after his death. In
the June 2011 issue of The Numismatist, Ramsay was listed in the “In Memoriam” section
without his date of death. By then he had been dead for fifteen years.

Around 1971 he compiled A Tentative Checklist of Spanish-American Bust-Type Silver, published by Hewitt Bros. He was listed as one of many contributors to the Rulau Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900.

In 1971-72, he conducted auction sales with his mailing address as 253 Paradise Road in
Lancaster. I suspect these catalogs are now scarce.

By 1974 he had compiled a list of Pennsylvania national banks sorted by county. This was not
broadly distributed but offered by request.

Ramsay died on February 29, 1996, at Whitehall-Leader Nursing Center in Lancaster. He is
buried at Leacock Presbyterian Cemetery in Lancaster. Dennis E. Steinmetz was executor of the
estate.

An estate auction for Robert M. Ramsay was held at the Lancaster Farm and Home Center on
June 29, 1996. Coins began at 9:00 AM with currency setting off at 3:00 PM. Robert V. Polito
was the auctioneer. I wonder how many copies of the catalog remain in collector’s hands.

 Smarty Pants Question of the Week

What was the first name of the first woman to serve as ANA Librarian?

RED BOOK EDITOR JEFF GARRETT

Kentucky Colonel Dennis Tucker of Whitman Publishing wrote an article on Coin Update about Red Book Editor Jeff Garrett.
-Editor

For many decades, starting in the 1930s, the city of Racine, Wisconsin, was home to the numismatic powerhouse of Whitman Publishing—the firm that popularized coin collecting during the Great Depression and World War II, mass-marketed coin boards and coin folders, and created the best-selling Guide Book of United States Coins (the hobby’s popular “Red Book”). Later, Whitman was managed in New York City, then for many years, it was headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, where much of its editorial work still takes place.

And for the past several years, the Red Book has also had a vibrant Kentucky connection.

If you’re 76 years young (or younger) and you collect American coins, the Red Book has always been a part of your hobby experience. The first edition was published in 1946, and more than 25 million copies have been sold since then. It’s as much a part of the hobby community as coins themselves.

Kenneth Bressett tells the story of Whitman Publishing, and of the man who authored its most famous publication, in his memoir A Penny Saved: R.S. Yeoman and His Remarkable Red Book.

Yeoman spearheaded the volume’s creation and was the hobby’s first “Mr. Red Book.” After Yeoman, with whom he worked starting in 1959, Bressett was the second “Mr. Red Book.” He’s nurtured the Red Book for more than 60 years, as editor, senior editor, and finally (semi-) retiring as editor emeritus in 2018.

Jeff Garrett in his office and working on the Red Book

Who took over from Bressett as the third man in 75-plus years to hold the senior-editorial reins of the Red Book? That would be Jeff Garrett of Lexington, Kentucky.

Garrett is no newcomer to the Red Book, or to coins. He’s been a life member of the American Numismatic Association since 1975, and served as the association’s president from 2015 to 2017. He founded Mid-American Rare Coin Galleries in Lexington in 1984. The firm has been in the same location for more than 30 years. He started the Bluegrass Coin Club in 1994, serves as a consultant to the Smithsonian’s National Numismatic Collection, and for many years was the valuations editor of the Red Book.

I’ve known Jeff Garrett personally and professionally for almost 20 years and have published many of his award-winning books, including 100 Greatest U.S. Coins and the Encyclopedia of U.S. Gold Coins, 1795–1933. I know him not only as a businessman who understands the rare-coin market, but also as a numismatist, a researcher, and writer—someone who likely knows the answer to your coin-related question, or if he doesn’t, knows where to find it.

The Bluegrass State can be proud to count Jeff Garrett as one of its most celebrated numismatic sons, just as Whitman Publishing is pleased to have his steady editorial eye on the Red Book.

To read the complete article, see:

>From the Colonel’s Desk: The Guide Book of United States Coins’ Kentucky connection

(https://news.coinupdate.com/from-the-colonels-desk-the-guide-book-of-united-states-coins-kentucky-connection/)

VOCABULARY TERM: LOGOTYPE

Here's another entry from Dick Johnson's Encyclopedia of Coin and Medal Terminology.
-Editor

 Logotype.
A single punch containing more than one figure or letter; a gangpunch. Logotypes are used by engravers or diesinkers for example, to punch the date in coin hubs or dies. Christian Gobrecht first used a 4-digit logotype on the date of his 1836 silver dollar. Use of logotypes.in the engraving department of the United States was a common practice thereafter. Counterstamped pieces have also been stamped with logotypes, sometimes with the effect of raised lettering within a sunken panel. maker’s marks are a form of logotype, often composed of a monogram, symbol or trademark and/or name forming the design of the punch, these were often used on edge or the reverse. The famed American Brasher doubloon was punched with a logotype of the issuer’s EB initials.

Logotypes are made by cutting the design or letters into a matrix, usually of brass, and by forcing a softened steel punch into the matrix; the punch is shaped much like a pencil point with a long bevel or taper; the punch is then hardened for use.  See punch, puncheon (1).
Logotype anomalies usually occur when overdating, correcting the date on, say, a previous year's die. Breen records over 60 of these in early U.S. Mint history. The most dramatic are the rotated logotype where the logotype with two figures "18" were first punched in as "81". This occurred on the 1844 and 1851 large cent dies.