The E-Sylum v26n24 June 11, 2023

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jun 11 19:26:09 PDT 2023

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 26, Number 24, June 11, 2023
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 11, 2023 <#a01>
** MüNZEN GUT-LYNT AUCTION 12 LITERATURE <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: BY WEIGHT, NOT BY COYNE <#a03>
** IAPN 2023 BOOK PRIZEWINNERS ANNOUNCED <#a04>
** STEPHEN L. BOBBITT (1950-2023) <#a05>
** MULTI-SPECTRAL IMAGING AT NEWMAN PORTAL <#a06>
** VIDEO: COUNTERFEIT DETECTION <#a07>
** 1905 SAINT-GAUDENS ACCEPTANCE LETTER FOUND <#a08>
** MACNEIL’S PEACE DOLLAR DESIGN <#a09>
** 1923 NYC AMERICAN SCULPTURE EXHIBITION <#a10>
** MORE ON COIN STORAGE BOXES <#a11>
** GARVAN FAMILY INDIAN PEACE MEDALS SOLD <#a12>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JUNE 11, 2023 <#a13>
** THE STAR COIN BOOK JUNIOR <#a14>
** NLG 2023 AWARDS DEADLINE EXTENDED <#a15>
** 2023 ANA SERVICE AWARDS ANNOUNCED <#a16>
** ANS ANNOUNCES 2022 HUNTINGTON MEDAL AWARD <#a17>
** NEW ANS HUNTINGTON MEDAL DESIGN <#a18>
** VOCABULARY TERM: MULTIPART <#a19>
** U.S. WOMEN COIN DEALERS <#a20>
** RICHARD LOBEL INTERVIEW PART SIX <#a21>
** HOLABIRD JUNE 2023 SALE HIGHLIGHTS <#a22>
** MüNZEN GUT-LYNT AUCTION 12 <#a23>
** WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: JUNE 11, 2023 <#a24>
** ILLEGALLY EXCAVATED COINS RECOVERED IN ISRAEL <#a25>
** STACK'S BOWERS JUNE 2023 PHYSICAL CRYPTO <#a26>
** THE 1805 WASHINGTON MEDAL BY ECCLESTON <#a27>
** REPRODUCTION VICTORIA CROSS MEDALS  <#a28>
** THE LIBRARIANS WHO FORESAW THE INTERNET <#a29>
** LOOSE CHANGE: JUNE 11, 2023 <#a30>
** THE MILLION-PENNY HOARD <#a31>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 11, 2023

New subscribers this week include:
Alexander Udwari of Münzen Gut-Lynt GmbH, and
Joey Lamonte.
Welcome aboard!

This week we open with a numismatic literature sale, one new book, IAPN book prize winners, updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, Hermon MacNeil's Peace Dollar design, and more.

Other topics this week include the 1923 American Sculpture exhibition in New York City, T. James Clarke coin storage boxes, Indian Peace Medals, Mehl's Star Coin Book Junior, NLG, ANA and ANS awards, multipart medals, U.S. women coin dealers, auction sale highlights, my Baltimore Expo diary, physical cryptocurrency, and the million-penny hoard.

To learn more about the Caprara Forgeries, Chopmarked Coins, Betts medals,
 Steve Bobbitt, Wendell Wolka, Multi-Spectral Imaging, Counterfeit Detection, the Hickory Bank of the U.S., the  the Glyn, Mills hoard, a bag of 1933 $10 gold pieces,  Liar's Poker, the Erie Canal medal, the Eccleston 1805 Washington medal, the the Penny Plunderer and Batman's Giant Penny, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

Image of the week

MüNZEN GUT-LYNT AUCTION 12 LITERATURE

Münzen Gut-Lynt of Toenisvorst, Germany is offering 487 lots of numismatic literature in their Auction 12 on June 24-25.  Here are some selected lots.  See the article elsewhere in this issue for more information on the full sale.
-Editor

Lots 919 and 928

Lot 919: BEGER, L. (1653-1705). Observationes et conjecturae in numismata quaedam antiqua, Parergon Laurentii Begeri, ab Antiquitatibus & Bibliotheca.

Lot 928: VAILLANT, J. Numismata Imperatorum Romanorum Praestantiora. A Julio Caesare ad Postumum usque.

Lots 932 and 935

Lot 932: HOBERMAN, G. The Art Of Coins And Their Photography. New York, 1982. 397 Seiten zahlreichen farbigen und schwarz-weißen Abbildungen. Ganzleinen. II

Lot 935: KLUGE, B. / ALRAM, M. Gold Giganten. Berlin 2010. 384 Seiten mit zahlreichen Abbildungen. I-

Lots 971 and 1023

Lot 971: KINNS, P. The Caprara Forgeries. RNS Special Publication 16 = IANP Special Publication 10. London/Basel 1984. 59 S., 8 Tfn. Ganzleinen. II

Lot 1023: MATTINGLY, H. Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum. Band II: Vespasian to Domitian. Nachdruck London 1966.

Lot 998

Lot 998: BANTI, A./ SIMONETTI, L. Corpus Nummorum Romanorum. 18 Bände, Firenze 1972-1979.

Lots 1103 and 1209

Lot 1103: DAVENPORT, J.S. German Talers 1500-1600. Frankfurt 1979.

Lot 1209: DIETIKER, H. A. Böhmen. Katalog der Habsburger Münzen 1526 bis 1887. Einleitung und Zwischentexte Herbert Rittmann. München 1979

To view the numismatic literature lots, see:

https://auktionen.gut-lynt.de/en-us/auctions/lots?$page=1&$maxpagesize=20&$sortby=lot_number&$sortdir=asc&s=numismatische%20literatur&part_id=103#19479

NEW BOOK: BY WEIGHT, NOT BY COYNE

Taylor Leverage just published a new book on chopmarks, which I believe is
 just the third on the subject (after F. M. Rose's Chopmarks and Gullberg's Chopmarked Coins - A History). Here's the announcement. -Editor

By Weight, Not by Coyne - An Introduction to Chopmarked Coins

W. Taylor Leverage

As the world opened up in the Age of Discovery, new trade routes were drawn across oceans, establishing the first truly global commercial networks. Luxury goods from China, European governments, and new trading powerhouses came together to lay the foundations for modern-day corporations and international politics. At the heart of this commercial revolution was silver, the only means of exchange that found acceptance at every port - massive quantities of the metal, taken from the Spanish American colonies and ports across the world, became the lifeblood of commerce around the globe, particularly in China itself.

Much of the silver that made its way to Southeast Asia bears marks of its time spent there - chop marks, private countermarks indicating acceptable silver content. Long dismissed by many collectors as simple damage, chop marks have since gained a much more consistent following as artifacts of trade, and both the diverse range of host types and the unique histories associated with them - both of which are found in this book - make them a fascinating area for collectors.

Featuring more than 300 images, By Weight, Not by Coyne explores the history of foreign silver in China and the coins that were actually used in trade, covering more than 35 countries and hundreds of types. The commercial and political context of each type is paired with rarity ratings and auction appearances, which makes the book a useful tool to both the researcher and the collector in this traditionally overlooked area of trading history.

269 pages

Paperback

ISBN: 9798378776290

For more information, or to order, see:

By Weight, Not by Coyne: An Introduction to Chopmarked Coins

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C79L8GCT)

IAPN 2023 BOOK PRIZEWINNERS ANNOUNCED

Peter Preston-Morley of the International Association of Professional Numismatists (IAPN) passed along this announcement of the winner of their 2023 book prize.  Thanks, and congratulations.
-Editor

There were 24 books entered for the competition, which was decided by vote of the membership of the IAPN at its 71st General Assembly in Marseille on 4 June.

The winner of the 2023 IAPN Book Prize is Prashant Kulkarni, a numismatist and dealer from Nagpur, India, for his Archaic Coinage of Godavari Valley and the Deccan, published by Eternal Arts and Coins LLP, Nagpur, worldwide distribution of which is via Spink in London.

Second prize went to Stéphan Sombart, senior numismatist at MDC in Monte Carlo, Monaco, for his Monnaies Royales Françaises de Louis XI à Henri IV, published by Éditions Victor Gadoury in Monaco.

Third prize went to Christopher McDowell, a lawyer from Cincinnati, OH, the editor of JEAN and president of C4, for his The Early Betts Medal Companion, published by the ANS in New York.

The value of the Prize is 1,000 CHF. The winner also receives a diploma and an IAPN medal, and it is hoped that these can be presented to him at a future IAPN function.

For more information on IAPN, see:

https://iapn-coins.org/

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: ARCHAIC COINAGE OF GODAVARI VALLEY

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n42a09.html)

NEW BOOK: THE EARLY BETTS MEDAL COMPANION

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n48a04.html)

IAPN 2023 BOOK PRIZE NOMINATIONS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n13a14.html)

STEPHEN L. BOBBITT (1950-2023)

Former ANA public relations officer Steve Bobbitt has passed.
-Editor

A third-generation Colorado Springs native, Stephen Leslie Bobbitt was born at Glockner-Penrose Hospital on February 15, 1950, to Harry and Madeleine Bobbitt. His parents had served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and met at the Naval Air Station in Norman, Oklahoma. They married in 1944 and began a family not long after, soon settling in Colorado Springs. Steve was especially proud of his parents' WWII service, which later inspired him to explore the history of the period—especially military battles and personalities—through books, documentaries, film and museums.

Steve attended Wasson High School in Colorado Springs, where he played French horn in the orchestra and marching band. His father opened an auto repair shop, Bobbitt's Car Clinic at 530 E. Kiowa St., in 1965, and Steve often helped out after school and on Saturdays. In his senior year, Steve accompanied his mother's sister, who was a French teacher in White Plains, New York, and her students to France, where he was enthralled by the magic of Paris and the bigger world that existed outside Colorado Springs.

He graduated from Wasson in 1968, and at age 19 enrolled in Western State College in Gunnison, Colorado. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English in 1972, and in December of that year married Jacqueline Haines, whom he had known in high school and become closely acquainted with at Western.

The couple returned to Colorado Springs, where, in August 1980, they welcomed the birth of their daughter, Samantha Hope. Steve established himself as a trusted and well-regarded journalist. He began as a reporter for the Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph, then served the Colorado Springs Sun as city editor. Following the 1986 closure of the latter, he was a reporter for the Rocky Mountain News and a correspondent for Colorado Business Magazine.

... Steve joined the staff of the American Numismatic Association (ANA) in October 1988 as public relations director, a position he held for 15 years.

In 1999, Steve and his wife parted, and in 2002 he married Barbara J. Gregory, a magazine editor with whom he worked at the ANA. Their careers at the nonprofit, educational organization enabled them to travel to a variety of inspiring U.S. destinations, from Seattle to Boston, Chicago to New Orleans, making new friends along the way. Always high-energy and personable, Steve had a quirky sense of humor, and loved getting to know people and their stories.

Although Steve enjoyed traveling and discovering new places, he never regretted making his home in Colorado Springs. He often said that the decision was fortuitous, for it was there that he married his first wife, Jackie, and shared many fun times; raised a lovely daughter; cherished his son-in-law and three wonderful grandsons; succeeded in the newspaper and public-relations business; and experienced 20 years of joy and adventure with his second partner, Barbara.

No funeral service is planned; however, a celebration of life—in true Steve style—will be held on Thursday, June 29, in Colorado Springs. Friends, family, and former co-workers who benefitted from his knowledge and example, are invited to attend. For location, time and RSVPs, phone or text 719-321-2516.

I was very sorry to hear this news.  I've known Steve casually for many years, and  often spoke with him at ANA events.  He was proud of his rebranding of the annual ANA convention as The World's Fair of Money® to broaden its appeal from members to the wider general public.  Great photo - that's how I remember him, always friendly, happy and smiling.
-Editor

Dennis Tucker writes:

"When I met Steve Bobbitt it was through his wife, Barbara Gregory. When you meet spouses of hobby friends, there’s always the risk of that connection being entirely surface-level. There was no such risk with Steve if you spent more than a few minutes in his company. He was aware of the easy conversational trap of “How are you? Good to hear it. See you later” interactions. Meaningless. That wasn’t his style. I found his connection to be real, human, warm, good-humored. Steve sought true relationships.

"Maybe it was his journalism and public-relations background. But I don’t think it was entirely something taught in school or honed through work. “To have a friend you must be a friend,” they say, and that’s something either baked into your personality or it’s not. For Steve it was natural. He and Barbara were fortunate to have each other, and I’m fortunate to have spent quality time with them and to get to know my friend’s husband as a unique and delightful person. As a hobby community we need to rally around Barbara and strengthen her in this time of sad loss."

To read the complete obituary, see:

Stephen Leslie Bobbitt
1950 - 2023

(https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/former-ana-public-relations-official-steve-bobbitt-dies)

To read a Coin World article, see:

Former ANA public relations official Steve Bobbitt dies

(https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/former-ana-public-relations-official-steve-bobbitt-dies)

MULTI-SPECTRAL IMAGING AT NEWMAN PORTAL

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is a Multi-Spectral Imaging capability. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Multi-Spectral Imaging at Newman Portal

The digitization lab at Washington University in St. Louis currently has access to a multi-spectral imaging system that we are making available to interested researchers. This technology allows for the recovery of obscured or illegible text in historical documents, which are scanned under lighting of varying wavelengths. Open access software (Hoku) is used to analyze the captured data. We’ve identified a copy of Frank Stewart’s History of the First United States Mint (1924), which bears an effaced inscription, for our initial testing. For further information, contact Len Augsburger, Newman Portal Project Coordinator, at

leonard.augsburger at wustl.edu.

VIDEO: COUNTERFEIT DETECTION

The David Lisot Video Library on the Newman Numismatic Portal can be found at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

We highlight one of his videos each week in The E-Sylum.
Here's one from 2007  about Counterfeit Detection with Bill Fivaz.
-Editor

Counterfeits continue to plague the hobby. How can you protect yourself from these bogus items? "Mr. Numismatic Education," Bill Fivaz, has the answers! He provides diagnostics for the genuine coins as well as describing resource books and counterfeit detection materials that are available. Investors, collectors and dealers will find this information invaluable. This lecture with slides seminar includes:

the problem of counterfeit coins

examples of genuine coins and their identification diagnostics including

cents; Flying Eagle 1856, Indian 1877, Lincoln 1909-S VDB, 1914-D, 1922 "no D", 1931-S, 1943 copper, 1955 double die

nickels; Buffalo 1916 double die, 1918/7-D, 1937-D 3 legged, Jefferson 1943/2-P

dimes; Mercury 1916-D, 1921-P&D, 1942/1-P, 1942/41-D

quarters; Standing Liberty 1918/7-S, Washington 1932-D&S

dollars; Morgan 1889-CC, 1893-S, 1894-P, Peace 1928

gold $20 1907 "Omega" High Relief

Speaker(s): Bill Fivaz.

To watch the complete video, see:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/560272

1905 SAINT-GAUDENS ACCEPTANCE LETTER FOUND

Roger Burdette writes:

"Scanning and examining documents at the National Archives is a little like searching through those "Mystery Bags" or "Grab Bags" that used to proliferate at coin shops and local coin shows. We paid a few dollars for a sealed bag or box, and took our chance of finding a valuable coin inside. Of course, most of these things contained coins as promised, but their value was less than the cost of the bag -- but it could still be fun for an occasional gamble.

"Last Tuesday, I was digging into the vast mystery boxes of NARA at College Park, Md., and amid all the "lower value" finds was one, really unusual and numismatically significant letter. Tucked away in an innocuous file box was the original acceptance letter by sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens for the 1905 commission to redesign U.S gold coins. This letter is not a copy. It has the sculptor's original signature and is addressed to the Secretary of the Treasury. While there are other autograph Saint-Gaudens (and Theodore Roosevelt) letters in NARA files, this is the one that began the entire Renaissance of American Coinage period from 1905-1921."

Amazing find!  Ya gotta play to win, and Roger's a playa.  He's often up to his elbows in dusty old boxes at the National Archives and Records Administration.  And that's what it takes to uncover new facts and information in U.S. numismatics.  Congratulations!
-Editor

MACNEIL’S PEACE DOLLAR DESIGN

Jim Haas authored a book on sculptor Hermon MacNeil, designer of the Standing Liberty quarter.  He submitted these notes on MacNeil’s unchosen design for the Peace dollar.  Thank you!
-Editor

MacNeil’s Submission Cornell University Photos

I saw the U.S. Coins Signature Summer Fun Auction notice featuring the Peace Dollar. While MacNeil submitted a design that I included in the catalogue of his works in my book, because it was not chosen, I wrote nothing about it. Since I was unfamiliar with events surrounding the coin, I did a bit of research and learned a lot.

According to articles published in late December 1921, eight sculptors had been invited to submit models for the Peace Dollar. Slated to go into circulation in January 1922, the artists were Hermon Atkins MacNeil, Chester Beach, Victor David Brenner, Anthony de Francisci, John Flanagan, Henry Hering, and Adolph Alexander Weinman. They had but a few weeks to draw or to model their designs. Anthony De Francisci, who was awarded the commission, submitted his within two weeks. As winner of the contest, De Francisci was awarded $1,500; the other seven participants were awarded $100 for their entries.

The two sets of photos show separate iterations MacNeil’s standing liberty on the obverse and eagle on the reverse. Based solely on its detail I believe the standing liberty with unsheathed sword was his initial offering. Adhering to established guidelines, the new coin had to have a representation of Miss Liberty that reflected post-war thinking and be different from the Morgan portrait. The unsheathed sword symbolic of bravery and leadership, the olive branch denoting peace and the liberty cap symbolic of freedom were all legitimate post-war metaphors.  The second design, perhaps supplied upon request, has the figure wearing the same liberty cap. Swathed in acanthus, an ancient symbol of mourning, she holds a scepter, emblematic of authority and sovereignty. While the dove is more often associated with peace, both MacNeil’s Eagle and that of De Francisci perched on olive branches beneath which is the word Peace, look like the same American Eagle that had long adorned Am
 erican currency.

Newspaper articles seem to indicate the new coin was not well received, and its launch not as well-planned as it might have been. De Francisci’s original design had been reworked, but original descriptions were still being used in reportage. Bankers complained that the coin would not stack, while others thought the coin to be unartistic. All things considered most were happy that any sort of a coin that would command a dollar’s worth in exchange was beautiful. The Harding Peace dollar, unlike any previous dollar contained exactly one dollar’s worth of silver.

Obverse and Reverse Sketches
Photos courtesy of Cornell University

The second set of images are the only ones I was able to locate. I am certain that Roger Burdette’s book contains significantly more information.

It was a good design, a rework of the 1909 Architectural League of New York medal, and a preview of the 1926 NYC Tricentennial medal. As you know, Mac used figures striding forth in other medal submissions.

I’ve mentioned before that I was working on an article covering his medallic wins, losses and rebirths. That idiosyncrasy was also present in a number of his sculptural efforts about which I might also write something.

In one of the articles I found there was a sentence or two referencing the lack of artistry and lamenting the rush to complete the project.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: HERMON ATKINS MACNEIL

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n43a02.html)

1923 NYC AMERICAN SCULPTURE EXHIBITION

Jim Haas submitted a second MacNeil-related item with additional numismatic connections (including a catalogue of interest to numismatic bibliophiles).  Thanks!
-Editor

Needless to say, I especially enjoyed  the article on the reopening of the Hispanic Society building. Of course, there’s a MacNeil connection.

Hermon Atkins MacNeil was elected to a second term as president of the National Sculpture Society in January 1922. In that role it was his distinct pleasure a year later to write the catalogue introduction for the organization’s first major event since Buffalo Fine Arts Exhibition held in 1916. In that introduction MacNeil said the Society’s aim was to make the exhibition thoroughly national in scope bringing together the best work from all parts of the country as well as that of Americans living abroad.

Set to open in mid-April, the Exhibition of American Sculpture would be held in a number of locations situated between 155th and 156th Streets. Called the American Acropolis, the multi-block area was home to the Hispanic Museum, the American Numismatic Society, the American Geographical Society, the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and the Museum of the American Indian.

A year earlier, sculptor Adolph Weinman, designer of the 1916 dime, and others had tried to stage an exhibit on a lawn in Central Park, but protests were made and the effort went for naught. Aware of the Society’s need, millionaire art patron Archer M. Huntington, president and founder of the Hispanic Society of America, offered the use of his property, the plaza and adjoining galleries at 155th Street. The only condition he made was that all sculpture selected for display should be the best that American artists could produce. The Society concurred, and happily accepted Huntington’s offer. Seven months later, he married MacNeil’s former student, Anna Vaughan Hyatt.

In addition to the outdoor displays of larger scale works, among them MacNeil’s two-ton Into the Unknown and models of his pylons destined for his Soldiers and Sailors Memorial for Philadelphia, the exhibition included smaller sculptures, one of the galleries devoted exclusively to plaques and medals. In all about eight hundred works were displayed during the exhibition that opened on April 14th and continued until August 1st, giving ample time for the people of New York to visit at will, and as often as they might wish.

I am fortunate to have a copy of the 372-page exhibition catalogue and am attaching a number of photos of selected medals among them pieces by Anna Hyatt, James Earle Fraser, John Flanagan, Adolph A. Weinman, Baltimore’s J. Maxwell Miller and College Point’s Frederick E. Treibel (MacNeil’s neighbor - they were not friends).

MacNeil displayed his Pan-American and Architectural League Medals along with the obverse and reverse of his Quarter. Beneath the photo of Into the Unknown was written "Figure for the Seal of the National Sculpture Society by Hermon MacNeil”.

Following MacNeil’s death in 1947, Into the Unknown was donated to Brookgreen Gardens in Murrell’s Inlet, South Carolina founded by Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington in 1931.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

ANS OLD NEIGHBOR HISPANIC SOCIETY REOPENS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n23a27.html)

MORE ON COIN STORAGE BOXES

I wasn't able to get this flurry of responses in the last issue - several readers responded to Bob Cassling's question about a box accompanying his purchase of a Bechtler $5 coin.  Ron Guth suspected that it came from the collection of Waldo Newcomer via Colonel Green. Robert asked:

If Ron is correct, this box likely belonged to either Green or Newcomer. If true, this would solidify the coin's provenance.

Is there an Eric Newman expert out there who might have information?

Do you know anyone familiar with these boxes in reference to Newcomer or Green?

Do you know anyone familiar with the handwriting of Newman, Green or Newcomer?

Some of the comments focused on the manufacturer of the box rather than the collector who owned and wrote on it.
-Editor

Mark Borckardt writes:

"Those are definitely T. James Clarke produced boxes. The Territorials where in those boxes and went to buyers. There were multiple sizes."

Mark provided a link to John Lupia's article on Clarke (link below).
-Editor

Tony Terranova agrees:

"T. James Clark made those boxes.   He was in the box business."

..as does George Cuhaj, who writes:

"Yes. the box with the white label pad on the front is a TJ Clarke box.

"They were used by the ANS and Smithsonian well into the 1980s when they stopped production. Most of the labels on the back were plain, the lined ones were probably an option as they were also making boxes for pills, and the lined options would be nice for identification and dosage information. Most coin folks did not get covers, but the pill box option must have had covers."

Len Augsburger of the Newman Numismatic Portal writes:

"It looks like a Newcomer coin box to me. Per my notes these boxes were produced by T. James Clarke. These boxes did pass through Eric’s hands and  just because Eric had the boxes doesn’t mean he had all the coins.

"The handwriting looks like Newman’s to me but I am not 100% sure.

"We photocopied the colonial boxes --

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/560901
"

Pete Smith submitted a letter from E.H.R. Green with examples of his handwriting.  Closeups follow.
-Editor

Pete also kindly provided images of another great piece of numismatic ephemera - a brochure from the T. J. Clarke Box Company.
-Editor

Thanks, everyone!

The capital "B" and "C" are different and I would rule out E.H.R. Green as the writer on Bob's box.  The circumstantial evidence seems to point to Newcomer.

Here's Bob Cassling's response and follow-up.
-Editor

Thanks to all who responded to my question, especially Pete Smith who submitted the all important Clarke brochure and the Green letter.

I was able to send the Green letter and Clarke box electronically to a handwriting expert who was pretty certain that they did not match, though the sample size was too small to be definitive. She was quite insistent on the need of a much larger sample. I even tried to contact his alma mater, Fordham University, for any of his writings, but have yet to hear back.

I pulled this Eric Newman envelope from the Newman Portal and it doesn't seem to match very well to the box handwriting, though I haven't had it professionally analyzed. If there is a better handwritten note out there, that might be helpful.

Another knowledgeable collector speculated that Eric Newman's secretary may have written on the boxes as well. Any information or writing of hers would be appreciated as well.

Though the style of the Newcomer cardboard boxes appears quite similar, these colonial boxes are all typewritten making me wonder if he typed all of his coin boxes. In addition, I have not been able to find any example of Newcomers handwriting, making this connection very difficult. If there is a handwritten Newcomer letter or a written coin box out there, I would love to see it.

So, if anyone out there has any copies of Green's, Newman's, Newcomer's or Newman's secretary handwriting it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone for your input. With your help, this mystery might just be solved.

Len adds:

"We have thousands of pages with Newman’s handwriting from his research files. The research files begin on this page:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/Library/Archives?page=24&searchletter=E
.

Newman’s handwritten memoranda on the 1804 dollar, for example, can be found here:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/579673
.

Newman’s coin envelopes may have been typed by a secretary, but handwritten annotations are in Eric’s hand. The envelopes from the Newman I sale are here:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/imagecollection/511786
.  Interestingly, this group (lot 4058) includes a single Clarke box with Newman’s handwriting on the reverse side."

  My Box, Eric Newman I Lot #4058

Bob adds:

"Holy cow! That is the Eric Newman handwriting mother lode for sure. Thank you Len for pointing me in the right direction.

"Lot # 4058 from the Newman I sale looks to be a match to my eye (especially the $ sign and the "5").

"Still interested in handwriting samples for EHR Green and Waldo
Newcomer."

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

THOMAS JAMES CLARKE (1875-1952)

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n37a17.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MAY 28, 2023 : Bechtler $5 Wooden Box Owner Sought

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n22a14.html)

GARVAN FAMILY INDIAN PEACE MEDALS SOLD

Alan V. Weinberg submitted images of recent auction purchases.
-Editor

You missed the May Pook and Pook PA antique
auction containing several silver IPMs which recently sold. Many consigned by descendants of the Mabel Garvan family who donated many rare numismatic items to Yale University, but apparently not all. The auction house labeled many of the medals as "20th century replicas" which scared many potential bidders off. They weren’t replicas.

The premier item was a 152mm oval 1793 engraved IPM in ext fine condition for which I was prepared to bid a solid 6 figures. I won it on the phone for $6500 hammer. The buy of a lifetime, and a duplicate for me.

I also won a well worn but genuine silver  1757 Duffield Geo II IPM overstruck, as are all, for $500 hammer, one of fewer than 15 known. Both were called modern replicas by the auction house.

Other silver IPMs in same Pook & Pook auction included Lincoln, Tyler and Polk originals plus a Lincoln Magniadas 1865 bronze.

Edge views

Here's the auction company blog post from April 23, 2023.
-Editor

Indian Peace Medals

The Garvan Family collection of Presidential Indian Peace medals, along with the George Washington medal from a U.K. collection, tell the story of westward expansion and European and Native American relations. Diplomatic gifts, Indian peace medals were intended to promote peace and friendship between European settlers and Native Americans. They were presented to Native American chiefs and dignitaries on significant occasions. While also struck by European governments and fur companies, the largest number were issued by the United States government between 1789 and 1889.

The first medals created during George Washington’s term of office were engraved with figures of a Native American and Minerva, representing America.  Later medals were struck by the United States Mint in Philadelphia, including the Jefferson medals Lewis and Clark famously took along on their 1804 expedition to the Pacific Ocean. These were the first to bear the image of an American president, with symbolic decoration on the reverse of clasped hands and a crossed tomahawk and peace pipe, with the words “Peace and Friendship.”

The medals provide material evidence of the rhetoric of a succession of government administrations as they sought to appear to be dealing fairly with the Native Americans. As European settlers expanded across North America, in the full belief that their dominion was destined by God, harmony and equality were hollow words. With successive years of Westward movement, the Presidential Indian Peace medals depict the progressive terms of peace through their iconography, as artists made decisions how best to portray the ideal of peace. In looking at the medals, the story is told in the background scenes on the reverse.

As noted by Klaus Lubbers, the compositional rhetoric of the medals changed along two paths. First, the previously symmetrical depictions of Native American and white subjects became imbalanced, the European American figure moving towards a central position and the Native American pushed to the periphery. Secondly, representations of European ideas of civilization and commerce began to crowd the background, denoting that the terms of peace had evolved from agreement between parties to capitulation to European ways. On only the second Presidential medal issued by George Washington, the symbolism begins on the Native American half of the background. Formerly blank, Beatrice Garvan notes “Here the Indian is now on the white man’s ground… as seen by the team of oxen plowing in neat furrows, showing a further step in the white man’s taming of lands and people.”

By: Cynthia Beech Lawrence

Sources:

Garvan, Beatrice, “Philadelphia: Three Centuries of American Art,” Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1976.

Lubbers, Klaus, “Strategies of Appropriating the West: The Evidence of Indian Peace Medals,” American Art, Vol. 8, 1994.

Nash, Stephen, “Were Peace Medals the Price of Loyalty?,”  5 October, 2017, SAPIENS.org

Indian Peace Medals Lot numbers: 389 and Garvan collection Lots 480A-480O

To read the complete article, see:

Indian Peace Medals

(https://pookandpook.com/indian-peace-medals/)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JUNE 11, 2023

 On Slabbing and Coin Thefts
Alan V Weinberg writes:

"I have greatly enjoyed Greg Bennick’s interviews with Julian Leidman and Richard Lobel, both of whom I’ve known since we were young.

"Julian said some things  that struck me that I’ve not seen addressed in print before. First, how slabbing
took away a lot of fun in the numismatic hobby, in my opinion,  saying there “ wasn’t  as much opinion involved anymore in the rarity and the condition.”

"This is a major reason why I no longer collect “rare” coins and have re-directed my numismatic tastes to exonumia and early politicals which, except for Civil War and Hard Times tokens, have largely escaped slabbing. Slabbing was initially created to eliminate forgeries and clarify grading standards. It’s a whole different hobby world now, not requiring knowledge
and creating absurd value differences grade point by grade point.

"Secondly, leaving someone in the car to watch your valuables while you stop to eat or use a restroom doesn’t work. The “follow home“ gangs smash a window, grab your bags and drive off in 15 seconds
and, if confronted, use violence. I distinctly recall a major theft / robbery at a January FUN Orlando show perhaps a decade ago. Sal Napolitano, a prominent dealer, was parked at the entrance of a major nearby hotel loading up his van with his other employees at show’s end. An organized gang  of thieves confronted Sal’s employees, exhibited weapons and grabbed Sal’s packed inventory which included an early 1840’s cased entire proof set. As I recall, there was even a violent struggle.

"Very recently, at the Long Beach coin show, a dealer stopped to eat at a nearby restaurant and brought his briefcase of coins in with him, placing them by his feet at the restaurant table. Several men followed him in, created a physical disturbance at the restaurant register distracting
the guests, and one swiped the dealer’s briefcase in a second and the group ran out of the restaurant
to a waiting car, the dealer running out after them to no avail.

"I know of no 100% proof way of getting one’s numismatic stock home safely other than FedEx shipping
which is both expensive and still subject to theft on their routing. That’s the world we live in."

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

JULIAN LEIDMAN INTERVIEW, PART FOUR

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n22a17.html)

JULIAN LEIDMAN INTERVIEW, PART FIVE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n22a18.html)

 Melvin Roland and the Catholic Commemorative Medal Society

Regarding his NNP contribution of the Catholic Commemorative Medal Society material from Melvin Roland,
Ken Berger adds:

"I should mention that Melvin Roland was my uncle (mother's brother) & godfather."

Thanks to both Melvin and Ken for saving and sharing the material.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NNP ADDS CATHOLIC MEDAL SOCIETY NEWSLETTER

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n23a09.html)

 Query: Hickory Bank of the U.S. Hard Times Satirical Note

Ernie Nagy writes:

"I recently came across an 1837 news clip which describes a satirical note in detail. Many of the expressions also appeared on Hard Times Tokens. I have searched the images of satirical notes included in Russell Rulau’s Standard Catalog of Hard Times Tokens, Q. David Bowers A Guide Book of Hard Times Tokens, and those listed on the Library of Congress website without finding a match. Are there any E-Sylum readers who might know of the existence of this note?"

The clipping is from National Banner and Nashville Whig of Nashville, TN June 5, 1837.  The elements of the note are familiar and common to the Hard Times era.
Can anyone help?
-Editor

 Mutilated Counterfeit Clad U.S. Coins
John Byars Jr. writes:

"Here's an interesting article about a lawsuit involving mutilated counterfeit clad US coins being redeemed.
Mentions China and over 400,000 lbs. in one deal. Page 4,5, & 8."

“‘Preliminary testing
of the materials submitted by the Portland Mint has identified technical anomalies that
have required additional, detailed testing to ensure they are appropriate for redemption.
That testing is ongoing.’” The response to Senator Wyden is not included in the public
record before the court. In its second amended complaint, plaintiff indicates that Mr.
Croft’s answer to Senator Wyden is “demonstrably false” because plaintiff’s entire
“shipment was accepted processed, and melted by the [U.S.] Mint,” such that “[t]here was
nothing for the [U.S.] Mint to test,” because “there were no anomalies in the Portland
Mint’s shipment,” and because “[i]f the Portland Mint’s shipment was determined to be
counterfeit or in any way problematic, it would not have been melted at Olin Brass.”
(alterations added).

Thanks.
All part of the ongoing drama over the Mint's program of buying back and melting coinage.
-Editor

To read the complete legal filing, see:

THE PORTLAND MINT,
 Plaintiff,
 v.
THE UNITED STATES,
 Defendant.

(https://ecf.cofc.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2020cv0518-77-0)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

COUNTERFEIT KENNEDY HALF DOLLARS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n22a25.html)

 Wheelchair Segways

In a 2020 submission, Numismatourist Howard Berlin wrote, "For those of us who need assistance getting around, there is this motorized wheelchair which is a combination Segway and wheelchair that zips along about 20 miles/hour. It was like sitting in the first row of a rollercoaster."
-Editor

Kavan Ratnatunga of Sri Lanka writes:

"Perfect description of the wheelchair Segways myself and my wife found ourselves in trying to make a 1h 50m connection to Colombo which arrived in Istanbul from London 1 hour late."

What a thrill!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

THE NUMISMATOURIST IS BACK HOME

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n12a13.html)

 1966 Kann Book Receipt