The E-Sylum v6#24, June 15, 2003

whomren at coinlibrary.com whomren at coinlibrary.com
Sun Jun 15 20:14:42 PDT 2003

Welcome to The E-Sylum: Volume 6, Number 24, June 15, 2003:
an electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
Copyright (c) 2003, The Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

SUBSCRIBER UPDATE

   Among recent new subscribers are Peter Dedel and NBS
   member Paul Harris.  Welcome aboard!  We now have
   566 subscribers.

LAKE SALE

   Fred Lake writes: "Our 69th mail-bid sale of numismatic
   literature is now available for viewing on our web site at:
   http://www.lakebooks.com/current.html

   Selections from the library of John and Nancy Wilson (and
   other consignors) are contained in the 527-lot sale."

JOHN BURNS SHOW SCHEDULE

   Numismatic literature dealer John H. Burns writes: "I will have
   a table at the following shows:

   Mid-America at the Rosemont Convention Center, site of the
   1991 and 1999 ANA's. The show will be June 27-29.

   ANA at the Baltimore Convention Center July 30-Aug. 3.

   I will have approximately two TONS of books, auction
   catalogs,  pamphlets etc. and other works spanning from
   17th-century antiquarian works to in-print Krause, Bowers,
   Spinks and other titles. I can be contacted at
   johnh.burns at verizon.net ."

CANADIAN BIBLIOGRAPHY PRE-PUBLICATION ORDERS

   The following news release was submitted by Darryl A.
   Atchison:

   The J. Douglas Ferguson Historical Research Foundation
   and the Numismatic Education Society of Canada are
   pleased to announce publication of a new  Canadian
   Numismatic Bibliography edited by Darryl A. Atchison,
   F.C.N.R.S.

   The Ultimate Book for the Collector of Canadian material.
   An absolute necessity for the collector who wants to know
   and understand his coins, tokens, medals or paper money.
   Over four hundred years of North American numismatic
   and economic history is covered in this important reference.

   This is a massive work in two volumes, over 1100 large
   format pages containing references to books and significant
   articles, annotated in most cases, with introductory essays.
   It covers the entire range of works relating to Canada, the
   French Regime,  Pre-Confederation Coinage, Decimal
   Coinage, Patterns, Newfoundland Coinage, Banks and
   Banknotes, Biographies, Artists, Engravers, Trade Tokens,
   Medals, Collectors, Collections, Auction Sales and Fixed
   Price Lists. Mr. Atchison has spent much of the last eight
   years  compiling this text, assisted by several prominent
   numismatists who have contributed to its development.

   Due to the cost of this publication, the quantity printed will
   be strictly limited to the number of orders received by
   October 15 th , 2003 with no more than fifty extra copies
   printed for late orders. Do not be disappointed — order
   early and take advantage of the special pre-publication
   price.

                                                    Can.$
US.$
   Regular Price                         $ 200.00        $140.00
   Pre-Publication Price*           $ 140.00        $  98.00
    (* = orders received before Oct. 1, 2003)

   Shipping & Handling
  within Canada                          $ 14.00
  to USA                                                         $14.00
  to Europe                                $ 23.00          $16.00

   Dealers, please write or e-mail for details concerning
   multiple orders:  All Orders must be accompanied by
   full payment

   Cheques payable to: “Numismatic Education Society of
   Canada”  c/o Ronald Greene  P.O. Box 1351, Victoria,
   B.C. Canada V8W 2W7  e-mail: ragreene at telus.net

   We urge members to order as quickly as possible so that
   we can anticipate the demand for this publication ahead
   of the upcoming CNA convention in Windsor, Ontario
   this July 17 - 20.

E-SYLUM BOOSTERS

   I'd like to thank subscribers Neil Rothshild and Nick Graver
   for their recent efforts to promote The E-Sylum in other
   venues (Neil on the Colonial Coin Collectors' email list, and
   Nick in private email to his fellow photography buffs.  Our
   promotion is mostly word of mouth (or should I say,
   keyboard?).   As always, please consider helping to promote
   The E-Sylum in any numismatic venue where the opportunity
   presents itself, particularly other online forums.  We get our
   readers the old-fashioned way: one at a time.

1873-CC NO ARROWS DIME DISCOVERY

   Rusty Goe writes: "For the information of E-Sylum subscribers,
   I want to share this bit of news from PCGS (Professional
   Coin Grading Service)..

   Michael Sherman has confirmed by phone that PCGS graded
   a discovery specimen of an 1873-CC "NO" Arrows Seated
   Liberty dime.

   We noticed in the Population Report that a specimen of this
   rare suddenly appeared, but we were skeptical.  That's when
   we called PCGS to confirm if it was true.  Their representative
   Michael Sherman checked on it and affirmed that an 1873-CC
   No Arrows dime had been graded in December 2002.  It is in
   the VG-VF range.

   (This is not to be confused with the fact that both PCGS and
   NGC (Numismatic Guaranty Corporation) list an Uncirculated
   specimen of this date - this is the Eliasberg coin.)

   For 130 years (or at least since there was interest) it has been
   believed that only one specimen of the 1873-CC N/A dime
   existed.  This is an Assay Commission coin, saved from melting,
   eventually passing through the hands of John Haseltine, Stephen
   Nagy, William Woodin, Rudolph Kohler, Charles M. Williams,
   and finally in 1950, Louis E. Eliasberg, Jr.  It remained in
   Elaisberg's collection until 1996, when Waldo Bolen purchased
   it at the Bowers & Merena sale for $550,000. The coin was
   subsequently sold in a Heritage auction in 1999 for $632,500.

   After speaking to Michael Sherman at PCGS, my wife was
   surprised that there had been no press release issued regarding
   the coin.  With the media frenzy surrounding the 1913 Liberty
   nickel, and the disposition to report any and every discovery
   in the coin hobby, it seems like the discovery of a second
   1873-CC N/A dime would at least be the story of the year.

   We contacted Coin World and Numismatic News and were
   told that they had not heard of this new discovery. William
   Gibbs at Coin World was very interested and agreed that it
   would be a sensational story.  He began researching it.
   Numismatic News was apathetic.

   When Michael Sherman was asked why PCGS had not issued
   a press release, his response was that since the coin has been
   graded since December, and everyone has had an opportunity
   to hear about it, the story is old news..  Well, no one I have
   contacted, from dealers, collectors to the media, knew anything
   about the coin.

   We explained to PCGS that we are putting the finishing touch
   on our book about the coins from the Carson City Mint, and
   since the acknowledgment of a second specimen of this
   classic rarity is of paramount importance, we want to be able
   to revise our text, if necessary.

   ust as Bowers and Merena has done regarding their offer of $1
   million for a 1913 Liberty nickel, we are on the verge of posting
   an offer of approximately $200 K for the second 1873-CC N/A
   dime.

   Any information can be forwarded to: Rusty Goe / Marie Goe
   Southgate Coins / 5032 S. Virginia St. / Reno, NV 89502 /
   mariesgate at sbcglobal.net /  775 -322-4455"

AUCTION SALES SOUGHT

   Rusty adds: "Does anyone have a copy of the 1899 J. W.
   Scott sale of the S. L. Lee Collection?  ... for sale, loan,
   fax a page, or whatever..

   Also, I need a copy of prices realized for the John Swan
   Randall sale in 1878, auctioned by Edward Cogan.
   Thanks for any help.  Email: mariesgate at sbcglobal.net

DENVER MINT HARASSMENT COMPLAINT FILED

   This week the Rocky Mountain News has been following the
   story of a petition submitted to the U.S. Treasury department
   by 32 women worked at the Denver Mint "alleging decades of
   harassment and discrimination by male co-workers and
   supervisors."

   "There has been unfair treatment to women in promotions,
   job assignments, training opportunities - there's been such
   harassment, and it has created an overall hostile work
   environment," said Beverly Mandigo Milne, who has
   worked at the mint since 1978."

   "The Denver Mint employs 528 people and 107 of them are
   women, according to Lynn Feiger, the attorney for the women
   who have complained formally to the U.S. Treasury
   Department, which operates the mint."

   U.S. Mint Director Henrietta Holsman Fore "ordered the
   immediate search of lockers, toolboxes and other areas after
   the Rocky Mountain News reported Tuesday on the
   complaint that 32 women workers filed with the U.S.
   Treasury Department."

   "The complaint said women have been denied promotions,
   training and raises; subjected to demeaning sexist comments
   from men; treated more favorably if they have sexual
   relationships with some managers;"

   "Posters of naked women on the walls and pornographic jokes
   on the government e-mail system have been common for years
   at the Denver Mint while the top brass in Washington has turned
   a blind eye, a lawyer representing several women working at the
   mint said Thursday."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_2025540,00.html

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_2028392,00.html

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_2034870,00.html

NUMISMATIC MUSEUMS

   Granvyl Hulse, Numismatics International librarian, writes:
   "I have received a query from an overseas individual asking
   for the mailing address (not e-mail) of two coin and medal
   museums in the U.S., two in Europe, and two in Asia (if any).
   Can you or the group help?

   [Well, any listing of numismatic museums in the U.S. would
   include

   The American Numismatic Association
   http://www.money.org

   The American Numismatic Society
   http://www.numismatics.org/

   Other U.S. and overseas museums have been mentioned
   in previous E-Sylums.  Anyone care to pick two in Europe
   or Asia?  -Editor]

AMERICAN BANKNOTE COMPANY ADDRESS

   "The current address of the successor company to American
   Banknote is:

          American Banknote Corporation
          560 Sylvan Avenue
          Englewood Cliffs, NJ  07632-3119
          (201) 568-4400

   The company emerged from bankruptcy a few years ago and,
   I believe, auctioned off their archive of sample stock and
   bond certificates a few years ago."

NUMISMATIST PHOTOS SOUGHT

   Darryl Atchison writes: "Could you please ask our readers
   if anyone can supply me with a photographs of Virgil Brand,
   Maurice Gould, Joseph Hooper and Mr. and Mrs. Henry
   Norweb that we can publish in our bibliography on Canadian
   numismatics?   I can be contacted at atchisondf at hotmail.com
   if anyone can help.  Thanks."

GERMAN-AMERICAN INTERNMENTS

   Ken Berger writes: "I was not aware of the internment of
   German-Americans during WW II.   However, I do know
   that during WW I, many German-Americans were forced
   to register with the government.  Just as we hear nothing
   about the events regarding German-Americans during the
   second war, we rarely hear anything about their treatment
   during the first war."

WALTER GARRABRANT INFORMATION SOUGHT

   Roger Siboni writs: "I recently purchased and had restored
   Walter W. Garrabrant's original copy of Maris' "The Coins
   of New Jersey".  While I have been an avid collector of
   colonial coins and particularly New Jersey Coppers for some
   time, I have waited until I could purchase a copy of Maris'
   book with some interesting provenance.  Frankly, I have
   never heard of Walter Garrabrant, but what came with book
   fascinated me.

   It included two newspaper articles circa. 1935 discussing
   exhibits he arranged of the Fredrick Canfield collection of
   New Jersey Coppers housed within the New Jersey
   Historical Society.  It listed him as an authority and leading
   collector of New Jersey Coppers.  Additionally, it contained
   a series of rubbings of the Boyd Maris 4-C, 7-E  and 51-G.
   The 7-E notations suggest that he obtained them from the
   Lewis collection before they were sold to Boyd.  Each of
   these coins will likely be the top bid getters in the upcoming
   Ford auction. Also, it also worth mentioning that for over a
   decade, it has been near impossible to view the Canfield
   collection of New Jersey Coppers in the New Jersey
   Historical Society, let alone present an exhibit of them.

   So, I was hoping some of the readership might shed some
   light on Garrabrandt.    I do not ever recall hearing his name
   in the pedigree chain of any New Jersey Copper and yet in
   1935 he was a top collector.  He was chosen to arrange the
   exhibit for the Canfield  collection of the New Jersey Historical
   Society and he was tied into the collecting community enough to
   acquire rubbings of some of the rarest and finest New Jersey
   Coppers in existence.

   Is there another major New Jersey collection lurking out
   there we (I) don't know about?"

WORLD'S SMALLEST BOOK

   In previous issues we discussed the smallest numismatic
   books.  This week saw publicity for the world's smallest
   book, period.

   "To the naked eye, it looks like a fleck of tile decorated with
   the Greek letters alpha and omega. But when it is magnified
   by a factor of 600, its true nature becomes evident - the
   world's most portable copy of the New Testament."

   An assistant professor of visual neuroscience at the
   Massachusetts Institute of Technology created software to
   enable the writing in gold on a silicon chip, using a font four
   microns high - about the height of a red blood cell.

   See the New York Times article for more information:
   http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/09/technology/09TINY.html

18-CENT COIN?

   A tongue-in-cheek paper titled "What this country needs is an
   18-cent piece" was published in the April issue of "Mathematical
   Intelligencer" and picked up by Forbes  magazine.

   "Despite three attempts and millions of dollars in promotions, the
   U.S. mint can't get Americans to accept a dollar coin. Maybe it
   should try an 18-cent coin. So says Jeffrey Shallit, a University
   of Waterloo (Ont.) computer scientist with a bit of time on his
   hands.

   Counting all possible change amounts from 0 to 99 cents, Shallit
   found that the average transaction, if handled in optimal fashion
   by the 7-Eleven clerk, involves 4.7 coins. It just so happens that
   if the Mint ditched the dime and added an 18-cent coin, the
   average number of coins would fall to 3.9.

   ... for 41 cents the clerk hands back a quarter, a dime, a nickel
   and a penny. The Shallit system [selects]  two 18-cent coins and
   a nickel."

   To read the article and original paper, see:
   http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2003/0623/058.html
   http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~shallit/Papers/change2.pdf

FEATURED WEB SITE

   This week's featured web site was suggested by Nolan Mims.
   It is a reference collection of images of counterfeit coins.

      http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/articles/faux/indexgb.html

  Wayne Homren
  Numismatic Bibliomania Society

  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a
  non-profit organization promoting numismatic
  literature.   For more information please see
  our web site at http://www.coinbooks.org/
  There is a membership application available on
  the web site.  To join, print the application and
  return it with your check to the address printed
  on the application. For those without web access,
  write to David Sklow, NBS Secretary-Treasurer,
  P.O. Box 76192, Ocala, FL  34481.

  For Asylum mailing address changes and other
  membership questions, contact Dave at this email
  address: sdsklow at aol.com

  To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum,
  just Reply to this message, or write to the Editor
  at this address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

   (To be removed from the E-Sylum mailing list
   send an email message with the word "Unsubscribe"
   in the body of the message to:
   esylum-request at binhost.com)