The E-Sylum v6#44, October 28, 2003

whomren at coinlibrary.com whomren at coinlibrary.com
Tue Oct 28 20:14:13 PST 2003

Welcome to The E-Sylum: Volume 6, Number 44, October 28, 2003:
an electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
Copyright (c) 2003, The Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

KOLBES EVACUATED FROM CRESTLINE FIRE ZONE

   Quite a number of our E-Sylum subscribers have inquired
   about numismatic bookseller George Frederick Kolbe and
   his wife Linda, who live in Crestline, California, the area
   where massive forest fires are underway.

   At 7:00 pm EST Stephen Pradier wrote: "I have been trying
   to reach George Kolbe and just found out that he and Linda
   have been evacuated.   George's voice mailbox is full so you
   cannot leave a message.   I sent him an email and will try to
   reach him if I can.   If you hear anything, please let me know."

   I tried calling George myself this afternoon, and know others
   tried the same multiple times.  I'm sending this special issue
   of The E-Sylum to let everyone know that the Kolbes are
   believed to be safe.    Since George was hard at work
   cataloguing the John J. Ford numismatic library, the next
   question on most minds is the fate of the Kolbe home.  Let's
   hope fate intervenes and spares this library for the ages.
   The September 22, 2003 and October 5, 2003 issues of
   The E-Sylum (v6#38, v6#40) featured reports from George
   of highlights of the library as cataloguing progressed.

   The following comes from an article published earlier today
   in The Mountain News, a local paper serving Lake Arrowhead
   and surrounding communities.

   "It is now mandatory for all mountain residents to evacuate -
   from the top of the mountain all the way to Yucaipa."

   "As of 9:45 a.m. on Tuesday some 26,000 plus acres
   have burned across the mountain. The San Bernardino
   Mountains portion of 'The Old Fire' fire is at 5 percent
   containment. THE  FIRE IS NOW CURRENTLY BEING
   HELD AT RIM OF THE WORLD  HIGH SCHOOL AND
   AIR TANKER WATER AND RETARDANT DROPS
   ARE PROGRESSING AT THIS TIME.

   To date 24 homes in Crestline have burned in the Great View
   and Skyland areas, and officials say 24,000 homes are
   considered 'threatened', with 500 commercial properties
   also under 'threat'."

   "OVER THE WEEKEND...
   The 7-Eleven store at Lake Gregory Drive and Lake Drive in
   Crestline was the scene of pandemonium on Saturday night
   and Sunday morning as residents from all over the mountains
   heard that the store was the only place to pump gasoline in
   the entire area from Running Springs to Crestline.

   Owner Tony Tarlochan kept the business up and fully operating
   with the use of large generators and back-up generators. He
   said that on Saturday night there were 30 cars in each of the
   two gas lines at the station. Violent fistfights broke out among
   some of the people in line and Tarlochan and others had to
   intervene. "They were almost going to kill each other,"
   Tarlochan said.  By 8 a.m. on Sunday morning there were 200
   people outside of the 7-Eleven."

   For more information, see:
   http://www.mountain-news.com/articles/2003/10/28/news/news1.txt

   From another report from the Long Beach Press-Telegram:

   "At least 1,137 homes had been destroyed and 15 people killed
   as of Tuesday by five separate blazes scattered around Southern
   California. The flames dotted an area that extended, on a straight
   line, more than 100 miles, from the Mexican border north to the
   suburbs of Los Angeles.

   A handful of other fires that hadn't hit any homes also consumed
   tens of thousands of acres of brush and forest lands, bringing the
   total burned to more than 500,000 acres or about 800 square
   miles, roughly three-quarters the total area of Rhode Island.

   "It's a worst-case scenario. You couldn't have written anything
   worse than this. You can dream up horror movies, and they
   wouldn't be this bad," said Gene Zimmerman, supervisor of the
   San Bernardino National Forest, the area in which two of the
   most destructive fires began last week."

   For the full article, se:
   http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~24823~1728742,00.html

  Wayne Homren
  Numismatic Bibliomania Society

  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a
  non-profit organization promoting numismatic
  literature.   For more information please see
  our web site at http://www.coinbooks.org/
  There is a membership application available on
  the web site.  To join, print the application and
  return it with your check to the address printed
  on the application. For those without web access,
  write to W. David Perkins, NBS Secretary-Treasurer,
  P.O. Box 212, Mequon, WI  53092-0212.

  For Asylum mailing address changes and other
  membership questions, contact David at this email
  address: wdperki at attglobal.net

  To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum,
  just Reply to this message, or write to the Editor
  at this address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

   (To be removed from the E-Sylum mailing list
   send an email message with the word "Unsubscribe"
   in the body of the message to: esylum-request at binhost.com)