The E-Sylum v6#45, October 29, 2003

whomren at coinlibrary.com whomren at coinlibrary.com
Wed Oct 29 19:22:28 PST 2003

Welcome to The E-Sylum: Volume 6, Number 45, October 29, 2003:
an electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
Copyright (c) 2003, The Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

KOLBE UPDATE

   Stephen Pradier's information about the Kolbes came from
   George's web site - it had been posted just minutes before
   he wrote to me.  It was updated again at 5pm Pacific time
   today.  Check there for further updates: http://www.numislit.com

      Due to fire threat in Crestline:

      10/28/03 2:30 PM PST
      George and Linda have been evacuated and are safe.

      10/29/03 5:00 PM PST
       No additional information.

   Mike Hodder writes: "George and Linda Kolbe are safe.
   They're staying in San Bernardino with George's sister. He
   can see Crestline from a window in her house . He hasn't
   been allowed back up the mountain so he doesn't know
   the status of his home.  He managed to remove some
   materials from the house before evacuation. He hopes to
   return to Crestline soon and will report to all who are
   concerned. He thanks everyone who's asked after him
   and is worried.  He says he and his family are safe, which
   is the most important thing at a time like this.   The Ford
   Family and all his friends at the ANS have wished him
   only the best of luck and I've passed this on to him."

   Fred Lake writes: "Many thanks for keeping us posted on
   efforts to contact George Kolbe. I, too, tried to reach
   George without success.

   All of us in the numismatic community are hoping for the
   best in this tragic situation. The amount of irreplaceable
   literature in George's inventory is staggering and we can
   only pray that the fires will spare the Kolbe's home and
   all of its contents.

   Please keep all of us informed of any new developments."

   Stephen Pradier adds: "Foxnews.com has a listing of all
   of the fires in California on its website.  The one where
   George is located is referred to as the OLD FIRE.

   According to their information there have been 4 deaths
   and 500 homes destroyed in that area.  The OLD FIRE
   encompasses Lake Arrow Head and Crestline."

   A story posted three hours ago on the Santa Paula Times
   web site states:  "In San Bernardino County, the so-called
   Old Fire destroyed more than 400 homes before jumping
   the highway and heading into the heavily forested area of
   Crestline, where 25 more homes were lost."

http://www.santapaulatimes.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/5513/13_killed,_over_825_homes_lost_in_fires.html

   There are some signs of hope - yesterday the Los Angeles
   Times reported: "Though firefighters haven't been able to
   prevent fires from overrunning hilltops and hundreds of homes,
   they have had some victories along the way.  A community
   landmark, the Cliffhanger Restaurant in Crestline, was saved
   Sunday when firefighters covered it with protective gel made
   out of the same absorbent material used in baby diapers. The
   blaze surrounded the building but moved past without damaging
   it, much to the amazement and satisfaction of weary firefighters."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-tactics28oct28002420,1,4596639.story?coll=la-headlines-california

   Bill Gibbs, Dick Doty, Col. Bill Murray, George Vanca
   and others have written of their concern for the Kolbes
   and efforts to contact them earlier.  I'll keep E-Sylum readers
   posted if we learn anything new before our normal Sunday
   issue.

  Wayne Homren
  Numismatic Bibliomania Society

  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a
  non-profit organization promoting numismatic
  literature.   For more information please see
  our web site at http://www.coinbooks.org/
  There is a membership application available on
  the web site.  To join, print the application and
  return it with your check to the address printed
  on the application. For those without web access,
  write to W. David Perkins, NBS Secretary-Treasurer,
  P.O. Box 212, Mequon, WI  53092-0212.

  For Asylum mailing address changes and other
  membership questions, contact David at this email
  address: wdperki at attglobal.net

  To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum,
  just Reply to this message, or write to the Editor
  at this address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

   (To be removed from the E-Sylum mailing list
   send an email message with the word "Unsubscribe"
   in the body of the message to: esylum-request at binhost.com)