The E-Sylum v7#06, February 8, 2004

whomren at coinlibrary.com whomren at coinlibrary.com
Sun Feb 8 20:09:22 PST 2004

Welcome to The E-Sylum: Volume 7, Number 06, February 8, 2004:
an electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
Copyright (c) 2004, The Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

PRUSMACK MEMORIAL TRIBUTE

   Nancy Wilson writes: "Dear Numismatic Friends:
   Bob Hurst, John and myself attended the Memorial Tribute
   lunch for Tim Prusmack yesterday at the Gator Trace Country
   Club.  Both Bob and John spoke in regards to Tim and his
   hobby contributions, and how he affected our lives.  Tim's
   sister Nancy Tenure Prusmack handled the Memorial Tribute
   to Tim.  Nancy also brought several things that Tim had
   produced, old photos of Tim and other memorabilia that was
   set up on a table.  Dr. Armand Prusmack and Florence
   Prusmack gave moving memorial tributes to their son.
   Nancy Tenure Prusmack also gave a moving testimonial to
   her brother Tim.

   Several other close friends representing some of the coin
   clubs Tim belonged to also gave memorial tributes to Tim.
   Several members from his local home coin club the Treasure
   Coast Coin Club in Fort Pierce, FL., (he was President of
   the TCCC for several terms) spoke and gave special tribute
   to a good friend and excellent coin club member.

   Representatives from the American Numismatic Association,
   Florida United Numismatists, Inc., Ocala Coin Club, Fractional
   Currency Collectors Board and Society of Paper Money were
   also present at this Tribute to a great Money Masterpiece artist.
   A close coin dealer friend in Fort Pierce, a comic dealer friend,
  who gave a moving talk about how Tim also collected Monster
   and other comic books.  He said that Tim became known as
   the Monster Man when he came into the comic book store.
   Several others also spoke in tribute to Tim.  It was a solemn
   yet beautiful tribute to a friendly and personable person Tim
   Prusmack. Tim affected many people during his short life.

   The Memorial Tribute to Tim gave all his friends and
   associates a chance to say a few words in regards to Tim,
   a friendly and giving numismatist, share thoughts with other
   folks who attended, and give their condolences to the
   Prusmack family.  We think the family left with a feeling that
   many, many people loved Tim in a lot of different ways.  It
   was a very nice tribute to a good person and friend.

   We talked to Professor Prusmack who said that they will
   probably continue to sell the remainder of Tim's stock.  We
   told the Professor that the Master was gone but his
   Masterpieces would be with us forever.  His last work was
   the Lazy Deuce series. We were honored that he used our
   Wisconsin Lazy Deuce to reproduce this beautiful work in
   close proximity to the actual $2 National Bank Note.  He
   was taken away from us before he could do his next series
   on State Quarter Fractional Notes. He was going to include
   his Florida Quarter design which was a finalist.  Go to his
   website:  www.money-art.com  for information on Tim, the
   many tributes to him, and examples of his great art work.

   A nice memorial story on Tim Prusmack can be found at the
   link below which is an online newspaper in Fort Pierce, FL.
   When you get to the online newspaper site in the upper right
   hand corner is a Search area. In this search site put in the
   name Tim Prusmack.  You can then hit the links pertaining to
   Tim Prusmack.
   http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/tribune/

   Rest in Peace Tim, your good friends John and Nancy Wilson,
   Ocala, FL."

   [The direct link to the article is

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/pj_local_news/article/0,1651,TCP_1121_2612589,00.html

   -Editor]

TOKENS IN DENMARK VOL. 2 PUBLISHED

   Jørgen Sømod writes: "Vol. 2 of my work Poletter & Pengetegn
   i Danmark (Tokens in Denmark), which includes the time 1900-
   1924 and also the tokens from Southjutland, which was under
   Germany until 1920, is now ready for print and will be published
   May 24, 2004.  There are no valuations, but around 1000
   pictures of the tokens. Size A4 = Legal 8½ x 11, 222 pages,
   hardbound. The price is Danish kroner 420,- postpaid all over
   the world.

   Mailto:numis at vip.cybercity.dk
   http://www.cam.org/~anfc/p_somod.htm
   See also http://www.gladsaxegymnasium.dk/2/litts.htm"

THREE CENT NICKEL BOOK PUBLISHED

   Allan Gifford of Three Cent Nickel Numismatics writes: "We
   have a brand new book dedicated exclusively to U.S. Three
   Cent Nickels that is now available for sale. It is a 500 page
   hard-bound book with over 2,175 images. Proofs, Non-Proof
   Business Strikes, Repunched Date, Misplaced Date & Die/Hub
   Doubled Varieties are all included."

   From the press release:  "Each & every proof working die
   variety & major die state is individually listed. Every significant
   business strike working die variety is also individually listed in
   addition to each & every business strike working die variety
   and major die state for the lower production years of; 1879,
   1880, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1887, 1888 & 1889.

   189 Repunched Date, Misplaced Date & Doubled Die & Hub
   varieties are individually listed including 91 new discoveries.
   Patterns & Rotated Die varieties are also included in addition
   to the attribution of all Master Hubs and Master Dies.

   $175.00 (Plus $19.95 for insured shipping & handling.
   Plus Missouri State Sales Tax if applicable.
   AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY FROM:

   THREE CENT NICKEL NUMISMATICS
   1732 RUDELLE DRIVE
   FLORISSANT, MO 63031
   (314) 831-8898"

ARTICLE:  THE TRIME

   Another U.S. three-cent coin, the silver three cent piece
   or "trime"  was discussed recently in a publication of the
   Cleveland branch of the Federal Reserve.  Written by
   Michael F. Bryan, the article provides and interesting
   history of the coin from an economic perspective.

   http://www.clevelandfed.org/research/Com2004/0115.pdf

JOHN J. FORD LIBRARY SALE UPDATE

   George Kolbe writes: "To date we have catalogued slightly
   under 800 lots, with estimates thus far totaling $800,000
   or so. The June 1, 2004 public auction sale will probably
   include about one thousand lots.  Several prospective
   attendees have inquired about the schedule for the June 1,
   2004 public auction. The sale will be an all day affair,
   probably featuring 1,000 lots, starting around 9:30 AM
   and ending around 6:30 PM, or possibly later.

   Additional Ford Sale Highlights:

   The Bid Book of Wayte Raymond's Rare 1917
   A. N. A. Sale

   The Bid Book of the Extremely Rare Fourth and Final
   W. W. C. Wilson Sale

   Henry Chapman’s Bid Book of the Final W. W. C. Wilson Sale

   Two 1853 California Gold Rush Letters, one reading in part:
   “Enclosed I send you a Gold 1/4 Dollar…”, another: “…get all
   the 16¢ pieces and the French one franc pieces…and send them
   out here and I can get 25¢ for all”

   Apparently a Proof or Sample impression of Levick's 1869
   Plate of 1793 Cents, Inscribed

   A. M. Hart's 1851 History of the Issues of Paper-Money in
   the American Colonies, Complete With the Large Folding
   Historical Chart

   A Superb 1869 American Bank Note Company Sample
   Book, with Text in Several Languages

   Ed Frossard's Own Set of His First 150 Auction Sales,
   Leatherbound in 15 Volumes, virtually all Handpriced with
   Plates, Including Several Unrecorded Catalogues

   One of the most remarkable items thus catalogued is a four
   volume compilation by Francis Worchester Doughty. In it,
   Doughty illustrates via rubbings his work on New York
   Tradesman's tokens which appeared in 1885-1886 issues
   of the Coin Collector's Journal. Important alone for the
   well-executed rubbings of the tokens in his collection, also
   included are "thousands of illustrations of various kinds,
   including engraved views and maps, early photographic
   views, halftone, engraved, lithographic, and other illustrations
   of tokens, etc.; along with a bewildering variety of
   printed and other ephemera, including newspaper articles
   and advertisements, documents, correspondence, flyers,
   etc." Among these are  many wonderful examples of
   Numismatica Americana relating to 19th century coin
   dealers and collectors who were involved in issuing tokens.
   Present are many photographs of these famous early American
   numismatists, rare printed ephemera issued by them, and on
   and on. One of the most delightful items, quoting Doughty, is
   a remarkable silhouette of the father of the American coin
   trade, “Edward Cogan; cut at a Numismatic dinner given at
   Coney Island about 1860. From Mr. Geo. B. Mason, to
   whom Mr. Cogan presented it.”

   Two very fine original 1876 editions of Attinelli's
   "Numisgraphics," one being J. N. T. Levick's interleaved
   and annotated copy

   A complete eleven volume set of the American Numismatic
   Society Library Dictionary Catalogue, including all three
   supplements

   Seventeen bound volumes of Glendining Coin and War
   Medal Catalogues, 1908-1925

   Barry Goldwater's 1979 Memoirs inscribed "To my
   neighbor the Bomp" (a family nickname for John Ford)

   An Original Manuscript of Dr. Thomas Hall's Coins of
   Connecticut belonging to W. W. Hays

   A remarkable manuscript by Edgar H. Adams on Varieties
   of Early U. S. Gold, including a Supplement of Private Gold
   Coinages of California, all photographically-illustrated

   A complete very fine set of the American Journal of
   Numismatics, uniformly bound

   The Private Letter Copy Book of C. G. Memminger,
   Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederate States of
   America, covering his activities, many of great numismatic
   interest, from appointment until the outbreak of war

   An 1861 Abraham Lincoln letter, signed

   Lyman Low's Extensively Annotated & Extra-Illustrated
   Interleaved Copy of his 1899 work on Hard Times Tokens

   A superb example of the rare 1904 promotional volume
   issued by the Birmingham Mint

   F. C. C. Boyd's personal annotated copy of Valentine's
   1925 Fractional Currency work

   The "Nineteenth" Edition of Wayte Raymond's Standard
   Catalogue, the original manuscript by Walter Breen

   Breen's Specialized Catalogue of U. S. Coins, including
   Colonials, an original 1953-1957 typescript, extensively
   annotated

   Original Plate Paste-Ups for several New Netherlands'
   Sales, including the 1952 A. N. A. Sale "

OTHER UPCOMING FORD SALES?

   Steve Pellegrini writes: "Brad Karoleff's offer of client
   representation at the Kolbe-Ford Library Sale is a very
   welcome one.  By now most E-Sylum readers know that
   the upcoming Kolbe sale is technically Part 2 of the sale
   of the John J. Ford, Jr. Collection.   It will also be the first
   opportunity to bid on books from the 'virtually unimprovable'
   Ford Numismatic Library. My question now is, What's next?

    I seem to remember reading that the disposition of the
   entire collection is going to be spread over the next few
   years. With most of the auctions being held in the US and
   one or two of the later ones perhaps being held in Europe.
   Does any of the readership know if this, broadly speaking,
   is going to be the plan?   And just as importantly, does
   anyone yet know what category or type of material is being
   planned for inclusion in each of the auctions?

   If we get any answers to these questions I hope there will
   be room to include it in next week's E-Sylum."

   [The next item give us a peek at the next Ford sale,
   but does not address the overall plan. -Editor]

GREAT DEBATE REDUX

   Mike Hodder writes: "Following up on John Kleeberg's
   cri de coeur in last week's issue, I might mention that John
   Ford's collection of private and territorial gold coins and
   gold ingots will be sold in Stack's upcoming May auction
   in New York City. Included are USAOG pieces, other
   coins, and gold bars made by western assayers like Blake
   & Co., Harris, Marchand & Co., and others. As with the
   first Ford catalogue, this next one will also include essays
   by John that deserve wider appreciation."

   [Stop reaching for the dictionary.  A "cri de coeur" is
   "An impassioned outcry, as of entreaty or protest."
   http://www.bartleby.com/61/69/C0746900.html
   -Editor]

1893 AND 1907 SCRIP PROJECT UPDATE

   Tom Sheehan writes: "I would like to publicly thank you and
   the entire E-Sylum staff for the mention re research into this
   scrip.  It brought several responses including one from Dick
   Doty at the Smithsonian.  I stopped there on the way from
   the FUN show in Orlando on the way to the New York
   International.  Spent the better part of the day recording
   many specimens that I had not known about before.  My
   thanks to Dick for taking the time to help out.  When the
   time comes our national museum and Mr. Doty will receive
   thanks again.

   I will have to get back to the East Coast to work in another
   museum where unfortunately I have to record each item by
   hand since photocopies are not allowed.  Perhaps some time
   this summer."

   [The E-Sylum staff consists of me, myself and I.  Guess
   which one of us is in the running for Employee of the Month?
   Anyway, we're glad to assist this important project, and again
   and encourage anyone with information about this series of
   notes to contact Tom.  -Editor]

NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF NUMISMATICS

   We recently discussed the new England Journal of
   Numismatics and the refund checks subscribers received
   following the parent firm's bankruptcy.  As coincidence
   would have it, I just came across one of the mailings in
   my ephemera files.  It is from the firm of Brown, Rudnick,
   Freed & Gesmer of Boston, MA and postmarked Jan 9,
   1990: "United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of
   Massachusetts / In re: Standard Financial Management Corp.,
   d/b/a New England Rare Coin Galleries."

S.S. REPUBLIC SALVAGE UPDATE

   David Lange writes: "This project truly is a big one. NCS
   is expanding rapidly to accommodate the handling of so many
   coins.

   The only downside in this is that I'm losing my office to the
   expansion.  For the second time in a year I have to relocate
   NGC's Research Room. While the last move was to a bigger
   space, this week's move is to a much smaller one.  I'll likely
   have to put some of my books and catalogs in storage, at
   least until conservation of the Republic treasure is completed.

   Such is the price of success."

BRITISH NORTH AMERICAN COLONIES

   Following up on our "United Statesians" topic, Ron
   Thompson writes: "I actually think the correct term should
   be "the British North American Colonies," but why be picky?"

DREWING DETAILS SOUGHT

   Philip Mernick writes: "The January 18 E-Sylum edition
   mentioned a review by Russell Rulau of the book on
   Nuremberg Counters by Benjamin Fauver.  It quoted a list
   of authors whose work this might replace.  I know all of them
   except for Drewing. Can someone tell me the name of the
   Drewing publication?"

DELLQUEST "RED BOOK"

   Neil Shafer writes: "Have a question for The E-Sylum:  I
   have a "red book" but it dates from 1935!   Actually what
   it is is a small hardbound piece called "Burt's United
   States Coin Book" by Augustus Wilfrid Dellquest, published
   in Chicago by A.L. Burt Company.  71 pages, red binding
   (so it really IS a Red Book).  It lists many US coins with
   premium values.  Does anyone know about this publication?
   I never saw it before, but that in itself is not surprising.
   Thanks for any help on this- kind regards. "

BY GEORGE, SOMEBODY'S GOT IT!

   The January 12, 2003 issue of The E-Sylum (v6, n2)
   included the following item:

          WHERE'S GEORGE

           We've profiled the "Where's George" web site before.
           The site allows people to register the serial numbers of
           U.S. currency passing thru their hands.  This week, I
           received in change a note that had been overstamped
           with the Where's George URL and other slogans.  So
           I registered the note and shoved it back in my wallet.
           For those who care, it's a 1999 series $1 note, serial
           number K40586052D.   I wonder where it'll turn up
           next?    See http://www.wheresgeorge.com/ for more
           information.

   This week I received the following report via email:
   "Your 1999 One dollar bill with serial number K4058---2D
   has just been re-entered into Where's George?

   Here is a link you can use to see the tracking report:

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/report.php?key=2dfaa98a1389fe1ff87bc6b4a74dfd18"

   The report follows:
   "One Dollar Bill, Serial# K4058---2D Series: 1999
   This bill has traveled 594 Miles in 1 Yr, 33 Days, 12 Hrs,
   34 Mins at an average of 1.5 Miles per day.
   It was reported on Feb-04-04 at 11:17 PM in   Cullman, AL"

   Heaven only knows where the bill traveled between Pittsburgh,
   Pennsylvania and Cullman, Alabama.

MILITARY HISTORY SOURCE

   David Menchell writes: "In my quest to acquire reference
   material for my Coinage of the Americas conference (COAC)
   research, I've come across some additional interesting sources
   of historical material that I thought readers of the E-Sylum
   might find interesting.  First, there are a series of monographs
   published by Osprey Publishing (www.ospreypublishing.com)
   dealing with military history.  While the series includes books
   describing events occurring during ancient and medieval
   times, most of the books deal with events of the 17th and
   18th centuries, including American Colonial engagements
   (Ticonderoga, Louisbourg, Boston, Saratoga, etc.), as well
   as descriptions of the various troops (French, British,
   American) deployed throughout the Colonial period. Another
   neat reference is a collection of documents meant to
   accompany a textbook of American history, "Selected
   Historical Documents to Accompany America's History" by
   Carlton et al.  The cost is nominal (it cost me $7 + shipping via
   Amazon.com) and this monograph can stand alone as a nice
   compilation of interesting items, ranging from an excerpt from
   Columbus' journals to a Dutch letter confirming the purchase
   of Manhattan Island to Thomas Jefferson's First Inaugural
   Address.  Many important Colonial events are represented; in
   addition, individuals researching the early industrialization of the
   U.S., slavery, Indian relations, and economic issues will find
   relevant material.  It would probably require a bit of work
   searching through a variety of sources to find the material
   included in this one volume.  The publisher also mentions a
   website meant as a study guide for the text
   (www.bedfordstmartins.com/history/henretta).  I haven't
   explored this as yet, but the description mentions the inclusion
   of additional documents, maps, photographs, and links to
   other history sources."

PETER ROSA FOLLOW UP

   Gene Anderson writes: "John Kleeberg's expanded information
   on Peter Rosa was very informative.  I plan to locate his article
   in the Colonial Newsletter. A couple of things mentioned by Mr.
   Kleeberg regarding Rosa's uniface copies are significantly
   different when it comes to the 1804 Becker large cent pieces
   that I have.

   First, the diameter of the obverse and reverse match a genuine
   cent.  Second, both obverse and reverse appear to be made
   of only copper. For those who have not seen Superior's Michael
   Arconti catalog, I have copied the catalog description of lot 57
   below. Bob Grellman wrote the description for Superior.

   1804 S-266c Becker Counterfeit of Obverse and Reverse EF40.
   High quality struck uniface copies of the obverse of the late die
   state, each marked on the plain back with "BECKER". The
   "BECKER" stamp on the  obverse is incuse while the one on
   the reverse is in raised letters. These marks are carefully
   positioned so they fit into each other when the two sides align
   exactly like a genuine 1804 cent. These are not the thin
   electrotype "shells" used to encase a base metal core to create
   an electrotype copy, but are struck pieces slightly more than
   half the normal thickness of a genuine cent. Together they weigh
   220.7 grains, which is well above the 168-grain standard of
   that year. Apparently made from transfer dies, the original
   example grading VF30 or better. These two copies are very
   slightly worn, and the only marks are some faint hairline scratches
   on the face of Ms Liberty.  Glossy dark chocolate brown with
   lighter brown highpoints. An extremely rare pair from this
   "master counterfeiter." Two pieces in this lot, one obverse and
   one reverse. Ex Bill Anton-Michael Arconti."

COLONIAL NEWSLETTER FOUNDATION INTEREST GROUPS

   James C. Spilman writes: "On April 16, 2001 the Colonial
   Newsletter Foundation, Inc. (CNLF) established the first
   "electronic Special Interest Group" (eSIG) with the objective
   of conducting an iterative Research and in-depth Study
   dedicated to "Counterfeit British Halfpence Believed to Have
   Circulated in America."   It was an experiment in using digital
   Information Technology (IT) as a mechanism for numismatic
   research by sharing digital images of coins in member's
   collections and discussing these images among themselves.

   This first CNLF/eSIG in just under three years has made
   astonishing progress.  Far more so than could have been
   accomplished in a conventional study situation.  In this short
   time almost 30 stylistic "Families" of coinage have been
   identified with each indicating a common source or diesinker.
   It appears that many more exist and that continued iterative
   Research and Study will identify them.  Die interlock plates
   are being constructed with excellent images gleaned from a
   multitude of cooperating collectors.  This new approach
   appears destined for unimagined ultimate success under the
   direction of two very talented co-Moderators.

   Because of this success, CNLF has decided to establish a
   considerable number of additional eSIGs dedicated to each
   of the major categories of Early American coinages, and the
   printed Currencies as well. Included are two supporting
   eSIGs devoted to the ancillary functions of History and
   Technology associated with the study of Early American
   numismatics.  An experienced and well recognized
   Numismatist has agreed to champion each eSIG and to serve
   as eSIG Moderator.

   Each eSIG is a fully functional Internet website based on the
   Yahoo eGroup Service and supported by CNLF.ORG
   which will, later, provide comprehensive FTP file storage
   facilities for the eSIGs.

   We anticipate that the discussion level will be of an advanced
   nature in most cases, but newcomers to our Early American
   numismatic hobby are always welcome.  Participants must
   agree to share digital images from their collections and to post
   their real names on the Yahoo Profile page; all other entries
   in the Profile are optional.  All eSIGs are private and are not
   listed in the Yahoo index - membership is by invitation or
   application, only, and are under the control of each Moderator.

   The eSIGs, their Moderators and their Internet URLs are as
   shown below:

   (1)  ColNewsLetFndn (original CNLF eGroup & includes
          CNLF-1 and CNLF-2)   (Closed eSIG) Byron Weston
          & Clem Schettino co-Moderators)

   (2)  Blacksmith Tokens
         . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . JCSpilman
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BlacksmithTokens

   (3)  Connecticut Coppers
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Jeff Rock
           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ConnecticutCoppers

   (4)  Constellatio Nova
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tony Carlotto
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ConstellatioNova

   (5)  Continental Dollars
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Mike Hodder
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ContinentalDollar

   (6)  Fugio Cents Of 1787
         . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  David Palmer
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FugioCents

   (7)  Higley Coppers
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . Dan Freidus
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HigleyCoppers

   (8)  Machin's (Atlee) Halfpence
          . . .  . . . . . .. . . . Gary Trudgen
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MachinHalfpence

   (9)  Massachusetts Copper
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mike Packard
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MassachusettsCopperCoinage

   (10) Massachusetts Silver
           . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mike Hodder
           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MassachusettsSilverCoinage

   (11) New Jersey Coppers (including St.Pats.)
           . . . . . . . Ray Williams
           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewJerseyCoppers

   (12) Vermont Coppers . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . Tony
Carlotto
           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VermontCoppers

   (13) Virginia Halfpence of 1773. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Roger Moore

   (14) First U.S. Mint. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . JCSpilman
           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFirstUSMint

   (15) Early American Numismatic History (CNLF-EANH)
           . . . .Mike Hodder
           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CNLF-EANH

   (16) Early American Tokens & Minor Coinages (CNLF-
           EATMC)  John Kleeberg
           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CNLF-EATMC

   (17) Early American Printed Currency (CNLF-EAPC)
           . . . . . Lou Jordan
           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CNLF-EAPC

   (18) Science & Technology (CNLF-SCITECH)
           . . .  . . . . . Mike Hodder
           http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CNLF-SCITECH

   If you would like to join one or more of these CNLF/eSIGS
   just click on the appropriate URL and when you reach the eSIG,
   read the introductory material and click on "Join this Group".
   The Moderator will contact you by eMail.   Thank you. "

BOVINE BANKING

   Not numismatic, but amusing nevertheless, is a this February 6
   report from Reuters on an incident in northern Germany:

   "A Friesian cow took a detour from a wedding where she
   was meant to be a guest of honor, wandering into a German
   bank where she was caught on security cameras sidling up
   to the tellers.

   Top German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung on
   Friday published four robber-style photos of the cow, named
   Paula, strolling into the Sparkasse savings bank in Wunstorf,
   a small rural town in northern Germany.

   "The cow entered, made an elegant turn and walked right
   back out," a bank spokeswoman said. "It was an
   extraordinary experience, but it was over very quickly."

   For the full article (and the learn why the cow was invited
   to a wedding in the first place), see:
   http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=4302827

FEATURED WEB PAGE

   This week's featured web page illustrates how software can
   be used to generate three-dimensional images of prospective
   coin designs.  It is from the web site of Daniel Carr, who
   entered winning designs for the New York and Rhode Island
   state quarters.

      http://www.designscomputed.com/coins/

      See also:
      http://www.designscomputed.com/coins/ri_sculpt.jpg

  Wayne Homren
  Numismatic Bibliomania Society

  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a
  non-profit organization promoting numismatic
  literature.   For more information please see
  our web site at http://www.coinbooks.org/
  There is a membership application available on
  the web site.  To join, print the application and
  return it with your check to the address printed
  on the application. For those without web access,
  write to W. David Perkins, NBS Secretary-Treasurer,
  P.O. Box 212, Mequon, WI  53092-0212.

  For Asylum mailing address changes and other
  membership questions, contact David at this email
  address: wdperki at attglobal.net

  To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum,
  just Reply to this message, or write to the Editor
  at this address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

   (To be removed from the E-Sylum mailing list
   send an email message with the word "Unsubscribe"
   in the body of the message to: esylum-request at binhost.com)