The E-Sylum v7#43, October 24, 2004

whomren at coinlibrary.com whomren at coinlibrary.com
Sun Oct 24 20:32:03 PDT 2004

Welcome to The E-Sylum: Volume 7, Number 43, October 24, 2004:
an electronic publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.
Copyright (c) 2004, The Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

LEO MILDENBERG: "IT SINGS TO ME"

   Last week I asked, "Do any of our readers have recollections
   about Mr. Mildenberg?"   In response, Dave Kellogg writes:
   "I only met him once but knew immediately that he was a
   person deserving respect and admiration.  The occasion was
   a small numismatic convention in Boston several years ago.
   He gave a presentation about ancient coinage in which he
   showed many photographs.  Two in particular made an
   impression on me.  They were photos of two ancient coins,
   both from the same issue, but different strikes or examples.
   One coin had no visible sign of wear; the other had obviously
   seen many hands in its lifetime but was still in noteworthy
   condition and had a sense of "character".  He mentioned that
   a collector might immediately opt for the coin in better
   condition (the sterile one), but then made a persuasive case
   for the other coin.  It has no defects, he said, has nothing
   missing, and "it sings to me".  That simple advice has helped
   me immensely in appreciating ancient coins."

ANS BUILDING NAMES QUIZ CONCLUDES

   Time to wrap up our quiz about the names of famous
   numismatists inscribed on the walls of the former American
   Numismatic Society building in New York.

   Bruce Burton of Round Rock, Texas writes: "I believe that
   the Russian numismatist's name you've been seeking is Ivan
   Georgievich Spasskii."

   Not correct.  Dave Lange writes: "I'm puzzled by the lack of
   replies to the contest regarding names on the ANS building,
   since the entire roster is given in the most recent issue of the
   ANS magazine. I received this perhaps three weeks ago.
   Doesn't anyone read it?  The Russian numismatist is
   Christian Martin Fraehn (1782-1851)."

   [Actually, since I'm using the ANS article as my source for
   the quiz, our readers weren't supposed to peek.  But no one
   came up with the answer, so it's time to go back to the article
   and publish the complete list.   The honorees are:

   Joseph Hilarius Eckhel (1737-1798)
   Vincent Barclay head (1844-1914)
   Aloiss Heiss (1820-1893)
   Joachim Lelewel (1786-1861)
   Christian Martin Fraehn (1782-1851)
   Sylvester Crosby (1831-1914)

   Thanks for your participation - this has been an interesting
   and enlightening exercise.  -Editor]

NEW BOOK ON CAST FORGERIES OF ANCIENT COINS

   Excerpts from the press release:

   "CAST FORGERIES OF CLASSICAL COINS FROM
   BULGARIA"  by Ilya Prokopov and Eugeni Paunov.
   (='Coin Collections and Coin Hoards from Bulgaria' no. 3),
   wholly in English, format 16°, 88 pp., glossy black paperback,
   112 coins in bronze, silver and gold, 27 casts, 14 pages in
   full color.  Sofia, SP&P Publishing, October 2004.
   ISBN 954-91396-4-6. Publisher's Price: US $24.00."

   "This is the third book on the counterfeits of ancient coins
   from present-day Bulgaria. In 1997, a team of three co-authors
   lead by Dr Prokopov prepared and edited a first small book
   of fake coins, which was subsequently published in Sofia. The
   present catalogue is a result of that continuing initiative and
   work.

   In this format (22.5x14.5 cm) a large group of modern and
   ancient cast forgeries of Greek and Roman coins coming from
   Bulgaria is published. 112 coins in gold, silver, copper and
   bronze are catalogued and illustrated with nice black & white
   photos in chronological and geographic principle. For the
   first time a group of 15 coins and details are presented in full
   color. In the beginning, authors show 11 Roman contemporary
   cast coins from Moesia - 5 asses and 11 denarii. Next a
   pseudo-hoard of fake and genuine Roman Imperial coins -
   consisting of 2 aurei and 74 denarii, is shown. The Bulgarian
   police authorities at the customs deprived it in the fall of 2003.
   From the total number of coins, 6 specimens are Greek and
   Macedonian (4 in silver, 2 in bronze); 83 Roman (Republican
   - 1 denarius; Imperial: - 82 (3 in gold, 80 in silver, 11 in bronze,
   1 in lead). A special section of the catalogue is devoted to a
   modern rubber/plastic negative matrix for making imprints of
   cast models of Roman Imperial denarii. All are illustrated in
   detail and commented."

   For contacts and direct orders:

   SP & P Publications Ltd.
  Mr Stoyan POPOV
   http://www.sp-p.net
   email: <ccchbg at abv.bg>;
   <monipro at sp-p.net> or <monipro at abv.bg>.
   Direct online orders: https://www.moneybookers.com/app/payment.pl

BODE MUSEUM NUMISMATIC DISPLAY

   Arthur Shippee forwarded a very short item from The New
   York Times about a new numismatic display in Berlin:

   "After six years and $6.9 million in renovations, the coin collection

   of the Bode Museum will be redisplayed today on Berlin's historic
   Museum Island. More than 500,000 coins, from Greece in 600
   B.C. to the present, will be on view. The entire renovation of the
   Bode Museum, with its sculpture collection, Byzantine art and
   children's gallery, is scheduled for completion by 2006 at an
   estimated cost of $131 million.

   http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/23/arts/23arts.html

   Another note on the same subject came from Chris Hoelzle of
   Laguna Niguel, CA.  He writes: "My wife who is always looking
   out for me on topics of coins and numismatic literature spotted the
   following short article in the Los Angeles Times Travel section -
   from the Associated Press:

  "The coin collection of the Bodemuseum will reopen to the public
   after a six-year, $6.9-million renovation, giving visitors a look at
   "Germany's greatest treasure chest of old money," said city
   museum director Peter Klaus Schuster. The collection includes
   Greek Coins from 600 BC."

   I found the following website which announces the opening (in
  German)"
   http://www.smb.spk-berlin.de:8000/smpk/de/sammlungen/mk/index.jsp

GREEN COLLECTION INVENTORY QUESTION

   Gregg Silvis writes; "In a recent Penny-Wise article, I
   proposed some possible purchasers of  the William Colgate
   Eaton Collection of Half Cents.  Bob Yuell has  proposed
   "Colonel" Edward Howland Robinson Green as a possible
   candidate.  Bob writes,  "He [Green] died of heart disease
   in Lake  Placid, NY on June 8, 1936. This means he was
   alive in June 1928 to  purchase the collection and owned a
   home in Massachusetts -- close enough to receive the June
   1928 Guttag's Coin Bulletin within 24 hours.

   In the John Ford Reference Library Part I auction on
   6/1/2004 by Kolbe, there is an inventory of the Green
   Collection. That would be lot #518.  It sold for $37,000.
   In this lot it says 'His numismatic holdings were  amassed
   on a scale exceeded by few, and the truly remarkable
   inventory present here confirms it.'  It also says '..... which
   are arranged by  date of acquisition'."

   Would the purchaser of this lot be willing to contact me
   (gregg at udel.edu) to further pursue this idea?"

   [Penny-Wise is the journal of the Early American Coppers
   club.  -Editor]

MORE ON CHITTY'S TREATISE ON BANK NOTE LAWS

   Last week, I asked about a book by J. Chitty concerning bank
   note laws.  A little more digging turned up 49 different entries for
   editions of the book as recent as 1983.

   The full title is: "Treatise On The Law Of Bills Of Exchange
   Checks On Bankers Promissory Notes Bankers Cash Notes
   And Bank Notes", by Joseph Chitty

   Three editions were published between 1803 and 1965 in
   English.    The initial edition was about British check and note
   laws.

   A later edition published between 1839 and 1880 adds
   "... With References To The Law Of Scotland France And
   America" to the title.

   So where did I find these entries?  See the next item about
   redlightgreen.com.

RESEARCH LIBRARY CATALOG SEARCH ENGINE

   "Founded as the Research Libraries Group in 1974, RLG is
   a nonprofit membership corporation of universities, national
   libraries, archives, and other memory institutions with
   remarkable collections for research and learning. We
   collaborate on projects that bring these collections online,
   help deliver them around the world, and support their
   preservation in digital form.

   RedLightGreen is one of our newest projects. It is designed
   specifically for undergraduates using the Web-and the
   libraries that support them.  RedLightGreen.com delivers
   information from RLG members about more than 130 million
   books for education and research; and it links students back
   to their campus libraries for the books they select."

   http://www.redlightgreen.com/

1957 DEALER DIRECTORY

   Dave Bowers writes: "Concerning Dick Johnson, in 1957 his
   numismatic dealer directory was very well done and well
   received.  It was easy to read, nice typography, and, now,
   over 45 years later it provides a nice window on numismatic life,
   dealer-wise, in 1957.  That seems so long ago, but in other
   ways it was like yesterday. The ANA convention that year was
   in Philadelphia, and both Jim Ruddy and I had long LINES of
   people at our bourse table waiting for turns to see us!"

THICKEST NUMISMATIC BOOK

   Bill Spengler of Colorado Springs writes: "Too bad that Pete
   Smith narrowed his "quest to identify the thickest numismatic
   book" with the parenthetical qualifier "by page count" for I
   may have in my library literally the thickest numismatic tome
   by linear measurement.  However, if page count is the basic
   criterion for "thickness", then my book falls well short of many
   cited by others, especially the Krause SCWCs.  But if Pete
   should accept bound manuscripts as a category of numismatic
   books separate from printed ones, mine would certainly rate
   high in both thickness and page count.

   Because my book is so unusual -- in fact unique by definition
   -- I think it merits reporting to Numismatic Bibliomaniacs
   anyway.  It is a manuscript of 890 pages entitled simply
   "ORIENTAL COINS" written in black ink in a very legible,
   even elegant hand, on heavy paper measuring 8"x10"
   watermarked variously "A Pirie & Sons/1905" (sometimes
   1908) or "POLTON/AIR-DRIED/VELLUM".  It is bound
   in red leather and weighs seven pounds.  Its thickness cover-
   to-cover is 4 inches, the pages alone being 3 1/2 inches thick.
   It contains 1683 coin types and sixteen amulets.  In style it
   comprises actual-size photographs of obverse and reverse
   of each type pasted onto the even (lefthand) pages with full
   attributions written on the odd (righthand) pages, from one
   to as many as twenty coins per pair of pages.  A few pages
   are blank, apparently to allow insertion of additional coin types.

   In content the manuscript covers, in a more or less West-to-
   East geographical orientation, "Oriental" coins of the Umayyad
   ("Amawi" per Lane-Poole) and Abbasid Arabs, Samanids/
   Ghaznavids/Seljuqs, various Turkish dynasties through the
   Ottomans, Ilkhans ("Mongols of Persia"), ancient and Islamic
   dynasties of India and Afghanistan, then Indo-Greeks, Indo-
   Scythians, Sassanians, Ceylon, Siam, Burmah. Tibet and
   Japan, ending with 230 pages on China.  It manages to
   present in passing quite a few unusual and well-preserved
   coin types.

   Unfortunately, the author/scribe is not identified and the
   manuscript offers little evidence as to whom he might have
   been.  It does bear an attractive bookplate of the FREDERICK
   TOWNSEND WARD MEMORIAL FUND of the famous
   ESSEX INSTITUTE of Massachusetts with a facing portrait,
   presumably of Mr. Ward, above a Chinese-style building
   flanked by five Chinese characters meaning "Ever Victorious
   Army of China"..  This bookplate also contains a minuscule
   notation "S.L.S. Feb. 1910" which probably indicates the
   book's acquisition and possibly even the donor.  There is
   also a letter from the Department of Coins and Medals,
   British Museum, to Messrs. Spink & Son Ltd., dated 24/7/11,
   signed by the famed British Museum keeper J(ohn) Allan,
   attributing an Arabic coin in the book, bound into the
   pertinent page!

   As for its provenance after the Essex Institute (which I believe
   disposed of its numismatic holdings some years ago), it was
   sold in Kolbe Auction No. 9 at the 1981 COIN convention in
   California, bringing a reported $2,600; and again in the second
   Kolbe-Spink USA sale at the NYINC in December 1983 --
   where I acquired it surprisingly for a mere fraction of the
   earlier PR.  I loaned it to the ANA Library for study for a few
   years after 1984.

   Can anyone top this for a bound manuscript in thickness, weight
   and rarity?  And if anyone can shed further light on the possible
   author of this manuscript, on "S.L.S." or on the manuscript itself,
   I would be grateful."

THINNEST NUMISMATIC BOOK

   As suggested by one of our readers, let's now consider
   the topic of thinnest numismatic book.

   Pete Smith, who kicked off this line of discussion in the first
   place, writes: "Over the weekend I bought Weimer White’s
   book on coin chemistry. The book is hardbound but the
   thickness of the covers appears to equal the thickness of the
   pages. Perhaps not the thinnest numismatic book but still
   quite thin."

   Bruce Burton writes: "Regarding thinnest "books", I nominate
   the Numismatist reprint of Copper Coins of Norway by O.P.
   Eklund, which has only five printed pages and two of those
   are "plates".  It seems like one of the Frank Lapa books was
   also quite thin, and another of his, on Vatican Coins is among
   the thinnest I've seen that is hardbound. "

   Mark Borchardt's nomination is: "Any single sheet broadside."

   [Can't get much thinner than that, can we?  I have a November
   9th, 1866 broadside of a sale of "Coins, Book, &C." in a
   frame on the wall above my desk.  QUICK QUIZ:  Can anyone
   tell us the name of the consignor or auctioneer?  How about the
   description of lot number 1?  (I didn't say it would be an easy
   quiz, but we'll find out if anyone else out there has this one...
   -Editor]

COINING TECHNOLOGY

   Mike Marotta writes: "The presentations on coining technology
   are always interesting.  On the matter of roller presses, I
   happen  to have several coins from the Malcontents Revolt.
   (My maternal grandparents were Hungarian.)  The smaller
   coins and the larger seem to be struck in the usual way.  The
   ten poltura, however, is obviously the result of being rolled.
   As noted, it does have flash from being cut after striking.
   Now, I have a question about what this says about "reverse"
   and "obverse." The cut is clearly from the side with the shield
   and date, and toward the side with the crest and legend."

PUBLISHING TOOLS

   Mike Marotta writes: "On the question of software, editing the
   Michigan State Numismatic Society Mich-Matist, I chose
   Microsoft Publisher because that is what is on this machine.
   Having been with Word since 2.0, I should have chosen that,
   but I thought I would learn something new. Publisher is not
   half bad and having completed two issues with it, I am more
   satisfied than I expected to be.  One problem with Publisher,
   very basic for what we do, is that there is no such thing as a
   "round box."  So, pictures of coins always have square
   borders.

   I used QuarkXpress for a year at Coin World.  I learned
   PageMaker in a community college class.  Both are more
   powerful than Publisher, and QuarkXpress would be my
   preference.  However, that would be overkill for most club
   newsletters, even the 30-page MichMatist.  Now, I am
   getting ready for a project with Adobe InDesign, the new
   state-of-the-art."

SHERLOCK HOLMES TURNS EYE TO PRINTERS

   Earlier, we published items about how governments have
   worked with makers of copiers and scanners to embed
   anti-counterfeiting mechanisms in their products.    The
   BBC published an article this week about how scientists
   are learning how to match up documents with the particular
   printer that produced them.

   "That staple of crime novels - solving a case by identifying the
   typewriter used to write a ransom note - is being updated for
   the modern day.

   US scientists have discovered that every desktop printer has
   a signature style that it invisibly leaves on all the documents
   it produces.

   They have now found a way to use this to identify individual
   laser printers.  The work will help track down printers used to
   make bogus bank notes, fake passports and other important
   papers."

   "In 11 out of 12 tests, the team's methods identified which
   model of desktop laser printer was used to print particular
   documents.

   "We also believe that we will be able to identify not only
   which model of printer was used but specifically which printer
   was used," Professor Delp said."

   "For a company to make printers all behave exactly the same
   way would require tightening the manufacturing tolerances to
   the point where each printer would be too expensive for
   consumers," he said.

   "We extract mathematical features, or measurements, from
   printed letters, then we use image analysis and pattern-
   recognition techniques to identify the printer," said Professor
   Delp."

   The team is also working on ways to manipulate printers so
   they lay down ink with more easily identifiable signatures."

   To read the full article, see:

DID ‘PASSION’ WIN THE PRIZE?

   Dick Johnson writes: "Seldom do I criticize the design of a
   foreign coin. One of the strangest coin designs was announced
   recently, October 4, 2004.  It is an eight-Euro coin from
   Portugal. I understand people in Europe love soccer. Pardon
   me, football! They issued a new coin, struck by the
   Portuguese Mint, they call it "The Passion for Football."

   The obverse looks like Lawrence Welk’s bubble machine
   gone wild below an inverted pyramid.

   The reverse is, well, half a hundred hearts and flowers --
   without the flowers – and with the hearts in as many misshapen
   ways to bend a heart as the designer could make.

   Pray tell me where is the symbolism for football? I get the
   symbols for passion, if bubbles and rubber hearts idealize
   passion.

   The coin was exhibited at the "Vicenza Numismatica" coin
   show in Italy this week. The "Passion for Football" eight-Euro
   coin design was up for a prize to have been awarded October
   16th. The vice president of the Portuguese Football
   Federation was ecstatic about the coin. "We feel this is another
   proof of the dimension of the success of EURO 2004 beyond
   the football pitch," said Angelo Brou. "This coin represents
   exactly the love and passion of this country about football."

   Kick this one into the net. Click on:
   http://www.uefa.com/uefa/news/Kind=256/newsId=242452.html "

ITINERANT BUYERS INVADING MAINSTREAM RETAILERS

   On a different topic, Dick Johnson writes: "We have all seen
   their ads. Full pages wanting to buy gems, jewelry, gold, silver
   and coins! My mouth popped open this Sunday morning at
   who is sponsoring the latest buying action – J.C. Penny!

   "We are buying; 3 days only!" screamed the headlines. The
   desiderata was illustrated. Diamonds, jewelry, silver, watches
   all had small pictures. Coins were pictured twice the size of all
   others. Silver dollars, gold, even subsidiary silver were shown.
   "We want U.S. gold & silver coins & currency" reads the
   caption.

   The pitch is aimed at senior citizens. "Quit insuring it, dusting it,

   hiding it or worrying how your kids will dispose of it." Another:
   "I certainly couldn’t expect to wear this to the mall or take it
   to the nursing home!" Easy targets!

   Formerly these itinerant buyers would set up in a suite of
   motel rooms for a couple days, then move on.  If mainstream
   retailers are now involved – they are undoubtedly receiving a
   piece of the buying action. But don’t expect to buy the
   acquired silver dollars and gold coins at the jewelry counter
   of your nearest J.C. Penny store."

   [When I was a wee lad just starting to collect coins, the major
   downtown Pittsburgh department stores (Gimbel's, Kaufmann's)
   had coin departments.  At the time, many major department
   stores had such departments.  So maybe it's time to revive the
   concept, but just why did the practice die out in the first place?
   People still shop in department stores and malls, but few coin
   stores are seen.  It is just that the rent became too expensive
   to allow a coin business to thrive?  Were the stories worried
   about liability issues?  Also, does anyone have recollections
   of the Golden Age of department store coin shops?  -Editor]

EURO SIGNATURE CHANGE CONSTERNATION

   The BBC News also reported on confusion caused by a
   signature change on the new Euro notes:

   "Berlin police have reassured citizens worried about an
   unfamiliar signature on their new euro notes that the money
   is genuine, news agencies report.

   The police issued a statement pointing out that the signature
   is that of European Central Bank president Jean-Claude
   Trichet.

   Mr Trichet's name has replaced that of his predecessor,
   Wim Duisenberg, on recently-issued euro notes.

   Many Berliners had approached police believing the money
   to be counterfeit."

   [People do look at their money, I guess.  We don't seem to
   have this problem in the U.S - perhaps it's because signature
   changes here are a frequent occurrence.  How often have the
   signatures on Euro currency changed?  Is this the first time?
    -Editor]

COINS FOR HALLOWEEN

   Nick Graver writes: "I just heard that a librarian friend is
   giving coins to children on Halloween!

   Nickels to the smaller children, and a plastic bag of five
   foreign coins to those old enough to read and possibly take
   an interest in history, geography, and coinage!

   Now isn't that a neat way to avoid problems with candy,
   and to start children as coin collectors, with no dental or
   dietary concerns!  He bought foreign coins in bulk and
   leftovers will keep till next year.

   Even though this great history buff seeks no recognition for
   his idea, here is  A Big Thanks to "Mr. S." who is not even
   a coin collector!"

MORE INCOMPETENT THIEVES

   There seems no end to the stories of incompetent bank robbers
   and counterfeiters.  This week, Reuters published an article
   about how "Two clumsy German thieves bungled their bank
   robbery after one dropped his gun which fell apart when it hit
   the floor and a customer shouted "it's a fake," prompting them
   to flee the scene empty handed."

   "On their way out of the bank they dropped another gun," the
   police spokesman said. The gun left behind was real enough
   but did not function and could not be fired."

   To read the full story:
   http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=6557379

   Reuters also published the following story datelined Zagreb:
   "A Croatian armed robber abandoned a bank hold up after
   the cashier laughed at his order to stick 'em up, state news
   agency Hina reported on Thursday."

   "Knowing she was behind a bulletproof glass, the clerk
   laughed  heartily, rang her boss to say she was being robbed
   and asked him to call the police," Zagreb police spokeswoman
   Gordana Vulama told the agency.

   The humiliated robber turned and took to his heels, she added."

   To read the full story:
   http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=6521185

FEATURED WEB SITE

   This week's featured web site is recommended by Kavan
   Ratnatunga, who writes:

   "Looking for information on US coins I found an interesting
    online resource which I had not seen any reference to,
    although the US Mint Freedom of Information Act
    Electronic Reading Room seems to have been online
    since Sept 2001."

    http://www.usmint.gov/foia/index.cfm?action=room

  Wayne Homren
  Numismatic Bibliomania Society

  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a
  non-profit organization promoting numismatic
  literature.   For more information please see
  our web site at http://www.coinbooks.org/
  There is a membership application available on
  the web site.  To join, print the application and
  return it with your check to the address printed
  on the application. Membership is only $15 to
  addresses in North America, $20 elsewhere.
  For those without web access, write to W. David
  Perkins, NBS Secretary-Treasurer,
  P.O. Box 3888, Littleton, CO  80161-3888.

  For Asylum mailing address changes and other
  membership questions, contact David at this email
  address: wdperki at attglobal.net

  To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum,
  just Reply to this message, or write to the Editor
  at this address: whomren at coinlibrary.com

   (To be removed from the E-Sylum mailing list
   send an email message with the word "Unsubscribe"
   in the body of the message to: esylum-request at binhost.com)