The E-Sylum v14#51 December 11, 2011

esylum at binhost.com esylum at binhost.com
Sun Dec 11 19:53:51 PST 2011

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume , Number 51, December 11, 2011
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 11, 2011
<#a01>
**
KOLBE-FANNING LOT VIEWING: IN THE LIBRARY OR IN THE LIBRARY?
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: AMERICAN NUMISMATIST
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: EDKINS' COAL COMPANY SCRIP, 3RD ED, VOL 2
<#a04>
**
JOHN R. ESHBACH: 1921-2011
<#a05>
**
RAY WILLIAMS VISITS THE ANS
<#a06>
**
IRRADIATED DIMES
<#a07>
**
LABOR EXCHANGE NOTE INFORMATION SOUGHT
<#a08>
**
QUERY: COUPONS USED BY POWS IN INDIA
<#a09>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 11, 2011
<#a10>
**
JEFF SHEVLIN'S PASSION  FOR SO-CALLED DOLLARS
<#a11>
**
NEW DUTCH COIN FEATURES QR CODE
<#a12>
**
NEW COIN CELEBRATES CHARLES DICKENS' LITERARY LEGACY
<#a13>
**
ALEXANDER OF ABONUTEICHOS AND THE HUMAN-HEADED SNAKE
<#a14>
**
US CITIZEN HONORED ON SRI LANKAN COMMEMORATIVE COIN
<#a15>
**
DOUG WINTER VISITS THE ART BASEL FAIR
<#a16>
**
NOSEY LIBRARY JANITOR DISCOVERS ANCIENT COIN COLLECTION
<#a17>
**
LITTLETON PURCHASES EISENHOWER DOLLAR HOARD
<#a18>
**
AN OCCUPY MOVEMENT DOLLAR BILL
<#a19>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: PENNSYLVANIA ASSOCIATION OF NUMISMATISTS
<#a20>

Click here to read this issue on the web

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 11, 2011

Among our new subscribers this week is
Keith  Greenham.
Welcome aboard!
We have 1,478 email subscribers, plus 167 followers on Facebook.

This week we open with a note from George Kolbe about the upcoming Kolbe-Fanning numismatic literature sale, followed by word of two new numismatic books, and the loss of another hobby stalwart.

Other topics include Labor Exchange notes, new and innovative Dutch and British coin designs, and an unsearched hoard of Eisenhower dollars.

To learn more about
The Jolly Green Giant's girlfriend, the Oracle of Abonuteichos, irradiated Dimes, and the Queen Anne Shilling in Ray Williams' soup ladle, read on.
Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
 Numismatic Bibliomania Society

KOLBE-FANNING LOT VIEWING: IN THE LIBRARY OR IN THE LIBRARY?

George Kolbe forwarded this note about the upcoming Kolbe & Fanning numismatic literature sale.
-Editor

I received a call from Frank Campbell who kindly pointed out a possible source of confusion in the Kolbe & Fanning catalogue of The 2012 New York Book Sale, to be held on Saturday January 7th, 2012  at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel during the New York International Numismatic Convention.

Namely, the catalogue states that lot viewing is "at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City, Eighteenth Floor Meeting Room Level: The Library…" While this is correct, Frank pointed out that some potential lot viewers might reasonably think that the location is at the American Numismatic Society Library building, since lot viewing has indeed been held there for the past two years. While Kolbe & Fanning will miss interacting with the wonderful ANS staff this January, we do look forward to seeing and visiting a larger contingent of numismatic researchers and bibliophiles, given the enticing nexus that NYINC provides.

So, to all the usual suspects, and we hope some new ones, we implore : come see us in THE LIBRARY (yes there is such a room in the hotel) at the Waldorf.

For more information on the sale, see:

www.numislit.com

NEW BOOK: AMERICAN NUMISMATIST

Mike Thorne recently published a review of a new book in Coins Magazine.  The review is now available on  NumisMaster.com.  Here's an excerpt - be sure to read the full article for the complete review.  Thanks to Paul Hollis for providing the cover image.
-Editor

In this column, I’m going to review American Numismatist, a new book penned by Paul Hollis, a coin dealer in the small town of Mandeville, La., which is close to New Orleans.

I happened upon American Numismatist in my many tours of the bourse at the recent ANA convention in Chicago and was told that Hollis was giving the book free-of-charge to all the ANA’s Young Numismatists at the convention. That, and the fact that the book appears to be self-published (PBH Publishing in Mandeville), suggests to me that this is a labor of love, not a work designed to enrich the author.

In my experience, self-published books are often works with obvious flaws, suggesting that they are self-published because no reputable commercial publisher would touch them. I’m happy to say that that is not the case with Hollis’s book.

According to the Foreword by John Albanese, “Over the years, there have been books that dealt with the history of the U.S. Mint and the development of the nation’s coins and currency. And some of them have sought to link their numismatic narratives to what was going on in the wider world at the time. But I can think of no other book that weaves the numismatic history of America so skillfully…into the total tapestry of our nation from Colonial days through the start of the new millennium.”

American Numismatist begins its look at coins used in America with Colonial coins and ends with the National Park quarter series and the changed reverse on Lincoln cents. In between, of course, Hollis examines momentous changes in our coinage, all within the context of major events in American history.

In Chapter Two, for example, there’s a section devoted to the major expansion of territory by the Louisiana Purchase. This leads into a discussion of the Lewis and Clark expedition, with its famous Native American guide, Sacagawea. As you would expect, the numismatic tie-ins are numerous, including the 1903 commemorative gold dollar recognizing the 100th anniversary of the land acquisition, the special Jefferson nickel reverses in 2004 and 2005, and the Sacagawea dollar.

The list price is $19.95, and it’s available from PBH Publishing, Box 1862, Mandeville LA 70470, or call 1-800-994-0689.

QUICK QUIZ: What other work of numismatic literature has the title American Numismatist ?
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

Hollis's New Work Weaves Coins and History

(www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ArticleId=24437)

NEW BOOK: EDKINS' COAL COMPANY SCRIP, 3RD ED, VOL 2

John Mutch writes:

The latest E-Sylum article on the Kentucky Coal scrip just reminded me that the Third Edition, Volume 2 (WV) of Edkins' Coal Company Scrip is now back in print and available from:

www.nationalscripcollectors.com/Resources/tabid/1224/Default.aspx

Thanks!  Below is the information from the web site.
-Editor

Edkins Catalogue of United States Coal Company Scrip
Volume 2, Third Edition

       This 370 page hardcover book lists over 7,400 pieces of West Virginia coal mine scrip. Information includes the company that issued the piece, denominations issued in the series, material the piece is composed of, diameter, shape, visual representation of any cut-out in the piece, and a rarity rating that gives a suggested value. The definitive guide to West Virginia scrip.

       Issued by the NSCA, this is the latest edition. Volume 2 lists scrip from West Virginia. This is the current edition and includes a wealth of information about the history and use of scrip, as well as the actual listings of individual pieces.

MEMBER COST: $40 / NONMEMBER COST: $45  Available & Back in Print!

JOHN R. ESHBACH: 1921-2011

I was saddened to learn this week of the death of John Eshbach of Lancaster, PA.  John was one of my numismatic mentors, a guiding force in the creation of the Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists, and a leader nationally in numismatic exhibiting.  He will be greatly missed.  Below is an online obituary forwarded by Richard Jewell of PAN.  While not an avid  numismatic bibliophile, John built an extensive collection of the publications of the early coin dealer John Steigerwalt of Lancaster.

Above is a photo of John (left) with me and my wife Dee at the 2008 ANA Banquet in Baltimore.
In 2011 Dick Duncan, John Eshbach and Gerry Kochel received Lifetime Achievement awards at the PAN banquet at the LeMont, Mount Washington, Pittsburgh, PA. Over ninety friends and guests paid tribute to the longtime PAN/ANA members.
-Editor

John R. Eshbach, 90, of Lancaster, entered into rest on Sunday, December 4, 2011 at his residence with his family by his side. Born July 13, 1921 in Lancaster, he was the son of the late John H. and Ethel Ellen (Charles) Eshbach. He was preceded in death by his wife of almost 50 years, Evelyn E. (Henry) Eshbach, on February 7, 1994.

Mr. Eshbach proudly served our country as a Technical Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II in the South Pacific Theatre, finishing his tour of duty in a school battalion at Camp Pendleton. He retired after 36 years of service at RCA as an electrical engineer, where he supervised the construction of high-powered radar and television equipment. John graduated from the Hershey Industrial School.

John was an accomplished numismatist, or coin collector, for over 50 years. He was a member of the Red Rose Coin Club, the American Numismatist Association, and the Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists. Mr. Eshbach had received numerous awards for his achievements in this field. He was often involved in conventions, where he enjoyed judging exhibits and teaching new collectors about his favorite hobby.

Mr. Eshbach is survived by his son: John R., Jr., wife of Jean Eshbach of Marietta; four grandchildren: Jessica Miller, Eric Eshbach, Heather Eshbach, and Jason Eshbach; and six great grandchildren. In addition to his wife, John was preceded in death by his daughter, Kay L. Schrawder, and his sisters, Anna Mary Dings and Frances Field.

To read the complete obituary, see:

Obituary of John R. Eshbach

(obits.lancasteronline.com/index.php?p=2804284)

John kindly served as Exhibit Chairman for me when I was the General Chairman of the 2004 ANA convention in Pittsburgh, and did a marvelous job.  Do the math - he was 83!
Below are remembrances of John from E-Sylum readers.
-Editor

Joe Boling, Chief Judge of the American Numismatic Association  writes:

I worked with John for many years as an ANA exhibitor and exhibit judge. He assisted me in certifying about half of the ANA judges now serving. He was the first recipient of the Joseph E Boling award for Excellence in Numismatic Judging. He was also a recipient of the highest honor the ANA bestows, the Farran Zerbe Award for Distinguished Service. The ANA community joins you in grieving his loss. We will miss him.

ANA Exhibit and Awards Committee Chair  Steve D'Ippolito writes:

My first reaction was great dismay at the loss, keenly felt here on the high plains of Colorado.  I found myself last night rambling about it to friends who came over to visit, showing them my autographed Red Book from the PAN banquet, and stopping myself when I realized they had never been to a convention and therefore had no idea who he was, which was their loss.

My second reaction was relief that he had lived long enough to attend that banquet, to receive the accolades he so richly deserved.

I am new enough to exhibiting ("only" since 1998) to have missed out on most of his exhibiting career, but I have personally witnessed a lot of outstanding work with his name on it.  (Or rather not on it, doing so being prohibited by the rules.)  I can speak a lot less knowledgeably about his work as a judge, but those in the know in that area gave him the highest praise they could.

Joe Boling said it first, he was a stalwart in the exhibiting field.  I cannot think of a better word.

Photo by Barbara Gregory of John Eshbach (left) and Jerry Kochel at the 2011 PAN Banquet in Pittsburgh.

Sam Deep writes:

We in Pittsburgh are honored to have had John as a numismatic colleague and as a friend. My memories of John mounting his final exhibit at the National Money Show in Pittsburgh and attending the PAN Banquet there to receive his Lifetime Achievement Award are cherished.

My most indelible memory of John Eshbach occurred during the October 2008 PAN Show as he fulfilled his perennial role as PAN Chief Judge of exhibits. My grandson Josh had just that summer been certified by Joe Boling at the tender age of 14 as an ANA Exhibit Judge. To witness a man whose judging expertise and experience I so much admired be willing to approach Josh at the beginning of that show and request that he serve as a PAN judge gave me even more respect for the man.

Richard Jewell writes:

John was a great human being, quiet, sincere, honest, a great hobbyist, a good friend and he'll be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Don Carlucci writes:

With the passing of another numismatic giant, I can best remember not only what he did on the local and national level, but what he did on the state level.  Without John's influence, the Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists would never have stretched from the Ohio line to the Delaware River.

RAY WILLIAMS VISITS THE ANS

On the Yahoo Colonial Coins email group Friday, Ray Williams posted a short account of his visit this week to the American Numismatic Society in New York.
-Editor

I lost a day of work yesterday, but I'm happy to say it was for numismatic reasons! Last night, Robert Hoge at the ANS gave a presentation on the Massachusetts Silver in the ANS Collection. It was a PowerPoint presentation and very well done. The ANS holdings of Massachusetts Silver are extensive. After his presentation, the floor was open for questions and observations... I guess this is why these events are called "Conversations". Then Megan passed around trays of all the Massachusetts Silver for observation in the coin! Some coins were missing as they were on loan to exhibits elsewhere, but it was still an impressive sight to see.
I had fun!

Ray also spent some time to research a soup ladle in his collection that was made from coins.
-Editor

The event started at 5:30, so I left work earlier so I could have some fun in the library and researching my ladle. It is obvious that there is a Queen Anne Shilling in the base of the bowl on my soup ladle, but it's not so obvious that the bowl was made from a British crown as both the obverse and reverse are completely gone from the hammering to give it its shape. But the rim and edge lettering are intact, giving the regnal year of the monarch.

I tried to identify the monarch by comparing the edge lettering with different crowns in the ANS collection, to no avail. The silversmith work on the ladle had increased the diameter of the Crown's edge so that proportions are off. It might be possible to ID the monarch, but very difficult - so I gave up. It was fun to try though.

IRRADIATED DIMES

Fred Schwan, in the December 9th, 2011 issue of the  MPC GRAM, wrote about Irradiated Dimes, an interesting souvenir that turns up now and again at coin shows.  I added some images found on Flickr.
-Editor

In the late 1940s (my best estimate). the American Museum of Atomic Energy created encased dimes advertising the museum. The most interesting thing is that the dimes were exposed to radiation before distribution. If you have a Geiger counter you can confirm this! Indeed, this was done at an early Fest. We have discussed these before. The one that I bought at the show has a 1941 dime.

  The irradiated dimes had a little moment of sunshine at the ANA summer. Beth Deisher moderated a discussion group of legendary hall of fame members. The panel (Chet Krause, Ken Bresset, Ed Rochette, and Cliff Mishler) discussed many different things. To a question about what he collects Cliff Mishler mentioned irradiated dimes. This seemed to amaze most of the audience. To make the point, the question of who collects irradiated dimes was then passed to the audience. I believe that the assembled throng was then astonished again when two audience members raised their hands! Boling and Schwan of course.

    I am not sure how many different dates were encased. Heck, I do not even know how many that I have.

Have these dimes been catalogued anywhere?  How mny different dates and types of encasements are known?
-Editor

A man takes home an irradiated dime - one of the less-sensible souvenir ideas of the 1940s - at the American Museum of Atomic Energy.

LABOR EXCHANGE NOTE INFORMATION SOUGHT

Web site visitor Lorne Bair asks about an interesting piece if Labor Exchange currency.
-Editor

I'm an antiquarian bookseller in Winchester, Virginia, researching an item somewhat out of my field. I'm hoping you might help to point me in a useful direction for further research. I found your name through a series of brief blog-posts you wrote for the Numismatic Bibliomania website back in 2006, on the subject of labor exchange notes.

The item in question is a labor note issued by Josiah Warren's utopian community ("Modern Times") on Long Island, New York, in 1857. As you may know, Warren is generally considered the first American anarchist and, as a follower of Robert Owen, issued labor notes at various times in his career, beginning with his partnership with Owen at New Harmony, Indiana; later through his Labor Mercantile in Cincinnati; and finally for use within his utopian community at Modern Times [now Brentwood] New York.

As a bookseller, I specialize in American social history and in particular in the literature of American communal societies - so this currency is of particular interest to me (and, potentially, to my customers!). Notes like this are certainly well-known in the literature, but to my surprise, in fifteen years of specializing in this subject, I've never encountered another example - nor have any of my colleagues. But I'm also aware that the worlds of numismatics and bibliophily only occasionally intersect, and it's entirely possible that such notes are far less exotic in your world than they are in mine.

Lorne wondered if I'd encountered other examples of Warren's labor exchange currency, knew of any examples selling at auction in the past twenty or so years, or had any references to recommend.

I hadn't seen any of these before, and am not aware of any reference books. An NIP index search turned up an article by Waldo C. Moore in the August 1932 issue of The Numismatist titled “Labor Exchange Movement”.   It’s a short article and doesn’t list his note.  There is also an article titled “Labor Exchange Notes” in the September 1959 issue of Numismatic Scrapbook magazine.    I don’t have this issue handy.

 Looking through my own library I found a nice group of Labor Exchange notes offered in the Smythe sales of the Herb & Martha Schingoethe Obsolete Currency collection - Part 9, December 12-13, 2006.  Warren's notes were not listed, however.

Knowing that if anyone has a good answer to Lorne's question it's probably an E-Sylum reader, I recommended publishing his questions here.  Can anyone help?  I'm curious to learn more myself.
-Editor

QUERY: COUPONS USED BY POWS IN INDIA

Anil Bohora submitted the following item on some interesting coupons used by prisoners of war in India. Thanks!
-Editor

I am a regular reader of The E-Sylum and enjoy every issue. I wanted to share below information with the group about Coupons used by PoWs in India:

It was during the Second World War that several POW camps were set up in India for German, Italian and Japanese POWs. These camps were first located in the inland and hilly tracks, but in towns which were sufficiently large to afford ease of communication. Such towns included Ahmednagar, Bangalore, Bhopal, Ramgarh (near Dehradun), Yol (in Garhwal), Delhi, Clemant town (in the Nilgiris). The central internment camp was situated at Ahmednagar. There is evidence to believe that coupons were issued by each "Wing" of the camp and were authorized by the Camp Commandment under the control of British Government.

To enable the prisoners of war to purchase daily necessities within the camp, it was necessary that they should be denied access to the circulating legal tender, lest they would save such money and use it for unwarranted activities. The best solution was to use coupons which carried value inside the camp but were useless outside.

As per as my understanding, International Red Cross was not involved in this at all.

I am not aware of any records of how many of these were issued. Also as you can see, they do not have SN also to deduce. But the total number of PoWs in India during WWII were about 100,000, so the number of coupons issued will be quite a small number. Also the coupons which are still available for collectors is very small in quantity and are quite rare.

I have also attached scans of a Short Snorter India PoW 1 Anna Bhopal Coupon from my collection.

On the back name "Bacchini Battista" and date of 21.10.1942 is written in pencil. The date may signify an entry or exit of this PoW from the Bhopal camp.

I think he must be from Italy. I have tried to identify him but without success. So, any help any group member can provide will be helpful.

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 11, 2011

 Survey of Numismatic Research 2002-2007