The E-Sylum v19n40 October 2, 2016

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Oct 2 13:27:44 PDT 2016

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 19, Number 40, October 2, 2016
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 2, 2016
<#a01>
**
KOLBE & FANNING SALE 143 OCTOBER 21-22, 2016
<#a02>
**
CAPTION CORRECTION FOR FIRST DEXTER 1804 DOLLAR PHOTO
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: IMPERIAL PUNCHMARKED COINS OF ANCIENT INDIA
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: EARLY COINAGE OF BENGAL
<#a05>
**
BOOK REVIEW: NUMISMATIC ARCHAEOLOGY OF NORTH AMERICA
<#a06>
**
BOOK REVIEW: SAMPLE SLABS, 2ND EDITION
<#a07>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL SCANS BUNYAN’S CHIPS
<#a08>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 2, 2016
<#a09>
**
MORE ON MINT ENGRAVER ENGELHARDUS VON HEBEL
<#a10>
**
QUERY: A COLONIAL COUNTERSTAMP MYSTERY
<#a11>
**
BENNO LOEWY (1854-1919)
<#a12>
**
FARRAN ZERBE (1871-1949)
<#a13>
**
TOKEN AND MEDAL DEALER JOHN WHITMORE
<#a14>
**
ERNEST HEMINGWAY AND NUMISMATICS
<#a15>
**
BONHAM'S SELLS ECKFELDT-DUBOIS GOLD SAMPLE BOOK
<#a16>
**
GEORGE HAYLINGS: A NO-PROFIT COIN PROPHET
<#a17>
**
THE HIBLER-KAPPEN SO-CALLED DOLLARS BOOK
<#a18>
**
BEBEE BUYS A BANK BUILDING: COIN SHOPS IN AMERICA
<#a19>
**
PODCAST: JON ALAN BOKA'S 1794 CENTS
<#a20>
**
$5 RICHMOND, VA PANIC OF 1893 NOTE
<#a21>
**
CABARRUS COLLECTION OF CONFEDERATE PAPER
<#a22>
**
SHOW PROMOTION IDEA: OVERSTAMPED DOLLAR BILLS
<#a23>
**
NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL ANNOUNCES NEW VENUE
<#a24>
**
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY: GUTENBERG'S PRINTING PRESS
<#a25>
**
ROMAN COINS FOUND IN RUINED JAPANESE CASTLE
<#a26>
**
THE FACE-DOWN SKELETON'S SATCHEL OF COINS
<#a27>
**
ZARA SIEGE COINAGE
<#a28>
**
THE DOLLAR IN REVOLUTIONARY AMERICA
<#a29>
**
THE BECK’S PUBLIC BATHS TOKEN
<#a30>
**
ASIAN COINS FOUND IN DEADWOOD'S CHINATOWN
<#a31>
**
MEDAL OF COIN CABINET DIRECTOR FRANZ NEUMANN
<#a32>
**
FALKIRK UNION BANK NOTES OFFERED
<#a33>
**
ARTIST CONCEIVES REDESIGNED SCOTTISH BANKNOTES
<#a34>
**
THIEF RUNS OFF WITH BARREL OF GOLD FLAKES
<#a35>
**
THE PREUSSAG COLLECTION – PART II
<#a36>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: HOW COINS ARE MADE
<#a37>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 2, 2016

New subscribers this week include:
Ron Cheek,
Stephen Carofalo,
Mark Ditz, and
Ginger Rapsus.
Welcome aboard! We now have 2,020 subscribers.

Welcome also to new advertisers Julian Leidman and Peter Bertram.  Also, we're beginning a new series of rotating ads for organizations partnering with the Newman Numismatic Portal.  Starting with Early American Coppers, Inc, the ads will link to the club's web site as well as their publication archive on NNP.  Have a look at both!

This week we open with a new Kolbe & Fanning numismatic literature sale, two new books and two reviews.
Other topics this week include
wooden nickels, U.S. Mint engraver Engelhardus von Hebel, collectors Benno Loewy and Jon Alan Boka, dealers Farran Zerbe, Aubrey Bebbe and John Whitmore, the Panic of 1893, and an artist's designs for new Scottish banknotes.

To learn more about  the William H. Woodin and Peter Gschwend sales, punchmarked coins of ancient India, sample slabs, COYN Press, a colonial counterstamp mystery,  Ernest Hemingway, the Eckfeldt-DuBois book with a California gold sample, powdered stearic acid, Zara siege coins, and the Beck’s Public Baths token, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

KOLBE & FANNING SALE 143 OCTOBER 21-22, 2016

Here is the press release for this month's numismatic literature sale from Kolbe & Fanning.  Lots of great books here!
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning are pleased to announce that our 143rd sale of important numismatic literature will be held on October 21 and 22, 2016. The two-part sale will feature the remarkable library of American numismatic auction catalogues formed by a prominent Texas collector, buttressed by a wide-ranging library on foreign and ancient coins formed by a collector in Ohio. Printed catalogues have been mailed at this time and will be arriving in the mailboxes of established clients shortly.

Part I, featuring 293 lots, will be conducted as a live online sale at 12:00 noon on Friday, October 21. Bidders may participate in this part of the sale in a variety of ways: in advance via mail, phone, fax or email--or on the day of the sale through our live bidding platform at auction.numislit.com. Register in advance, browse lots and place bids at your leisure: all lots in the first part are illustrated in the online catalogue. Live bidding will commence at noon eastern time on October 21.

Part II features over 800 lots of numismatic books, periodicals and catalogues from around the world, and will be conducted as a traditional mail-bid sale (no online component). This second part of the sale will close at 9:00 PM EDT on Saturday, October 22. Bids may be placed via mail, phone, fax or email; bids will be treated as limits and reduced as competition dictates.

Some highlights include the following:

Lot 273: the exceptionally rare 1884 Adolph Weyl catalogue offering the Dexter 1804 dollar, complete with the famous photograph

Lot 146: a rare plated copy of Tom Elder’s catalogue of the William H. Woodin collection (1911); other plated Elder sales present include the Peter Gschwend sale and the 1917 Miller sale, among others

Lot 113: a beautifully bound copy of Henry Chapman’s 1912 plated catalogue of the Earle collection, from the libraries of William H. Woodin and John J. Ford, Jr.; the sale also includes plated copies of the David S. Wilson and John Story Jenks collections, among other plated catalogues of the Chapman brothers

Lots 236 and 253

Lot 236: John J. Ford’s copy of the rare plated Maris sale (H.P. Smith, 1886)

Lot 253: J.N.T. Levick’s copy of the very rare Descriptive Catalogue of the Seavey collection (Strobridge, 1873), with 5 plates

Lot 70: the 20-volume reprint edition of Victor Emmanuel III’s Corpus Nummorum Italicorum

Lot 210: a plated copy of the New York Coin & Stamp Company’s 1890 sale of the Lorin G. Parmelee collection, from the library of W.W. Hays

Lot 261: a plated copy of the United States Coin Company’s 1915 sale of the Granberg collection

Lots 4 and 7

Lot 4: the useful Forni edition of Babelon’s Traité des monnaies grecques et romaines

Lot 7: Crawford on Roman Republican coins

Lot 293: a first edition Red Book signed by R.S. Yeoman.

The sale’s offerings include hundreds of early American auction catalogues, most of which are individually catalogued, providing clients with a valuable opportunity to fill gaps in their libraries.

As mentioned above, printed catalogues are being mailed to established clients; a PDF of the catalogue has been posted to the main numislit.com website for those who prefer to read online. In addition, prospective bidders are able to access the live online catalogue and register to bid in Part I of the sale through auction.numislit.com.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed and bonded auction firm in the State of Ohio. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at numislit.com or email David Fanning at df at numislit.com. We look forward to your participation.

CAPTION CORRECTION FOR FIRST DEXTER 1804 DOLLAR PHOTO

Errors have a way of hiding no matter how hard we look for them.  Here's a correction to a photo caption in the upcoming
Kolbe & Fanning sale.
-Editor

David Fanning reports that in the process of reviewing the printed catalogue of the upcoming Kolbe & Fanning sale of Oct. 21-22, he found a significant error in the caption for lot 273, the rare 1884 Adolph Weyl catalogue featuring what is now known as the Dexter 1804 dollar. The caption claims that this is the “First Photographic Representation of an 1804 Dollar,” which is not true. The first photographic representation of an 1804 dollar was in Edward Cogan’s 1874 catalogue of the Sanford collection--which one could learn by reading the description of the copy offered as lot 133 of the same sale. The caption for lot 273 should read, “First Photographic Representation of the Dexter 1804 Dollar.” The error has been fixed in both the online catalogue and the PDF posted to the firm’s website at numislit.com, but unfortunately was only discovered the day the catalogues had been mailed.

For more information about the sale, see:

www.numislit.com

NEW BOOK: IMPERIAL PUNCHMARKED COINS OF ANCIENT INDIA

As noted in earlier articles, sites like PrintAsia.com may be able to offer better deals for books published in India, but here's a new title available from Bagchee.com. Below is their overview for a new book on the Imperial punchmarked coins of ancient India.
-Editor

Imperial Punchmarked Coins of Ancient India: A Case Study of Darai Dangri Hoard, Varansi

Authors (s):	Savita Sharma (Author)
Format:	Hardcover
ISBN-13:	9788173055461
Pages:	xiv+238p., B/w Illustrations 217; 22 X 28cm.
Pub. date:	31.05.2016, 1st. ed.
Publisher:	Aryan Books International
Language (s):	English
BagcheeID:	BB102124