The E-Sylum v19n41 October 9, 2016

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Oct 9 17:48:14 PDT 2016

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 19, Number 41, October 9, 2016
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 9, 2016
<#a01>
**
KOLBE & FANNING SALE 143 OCTOBER 21-22, 2016
<#a02>
**
SPINK BOOKS GETS A NEW LOOK
<#a03>
**
CENTRAL STATES AWARDS 2016-2017 AUTHOR GRANTS
<#a04>
**
BOOK REVIEW: STANDARD GUIDE TO COIN POSTCARDS
<#a05>
**
BOOK REVIEW: DARK ATHENA
<#a06>
**
BOOK REVIEW: TWO DOLLAR BILL
<#a07>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS SAMPLE SLAB UPDATE
<#a08>
**
MICH-MATIST EDITOR MICHAEL STRUB SIDELINED
<#a09>
**
MORE ON THE COLONIAL COUNTERSTAMP MYSTERY
<#a10>
**
QUERY: PHOTO OF CENTRAL AMERICAN MINT SOUGHT
<#a11>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 9, 2016
<#a12>
**
MORE COIN SHOP TALES
<#a13>
**
THE YOUNG NUMISMATIST
<#a14>
**
YOUNG NUMISMATISTS OF AMERICA HISTORY
<#a15>
**
OTTO ODDEHON (1878-1959)
<#a16>
**
LET’S PLAY “WAIT, WAIT, DON’T TELL ME!”
<#a17>
**
MILES DECOSTER INFALLIBLE COUNTERFEIT DETECTOR
<#a18>
**
POGUE COLLECTION PART V ANNOUNCED
<#a19>
**
NUMISMATIC LETTERS TO GEORGE F. KUNZ
<#a20>
**
WITTIG GOLD NOBEL PRIZE MEDAL UP FOR SALE
<#a21>
**
THE GENERAL JAMES WOLFE STATUETTE PROJECT
<#a22>
**
SOME INTERESTING MEDALS: OCTOBER 9, 2016
<#a23>
**
THE FUTURE OF MUSEUMS
<#a24>
**
VIDEO: EDGE LETTERING ON MODERN U.S. COINS
<#a25>
**
PODCAST: COIN DESIGNER JOEL ISKOWITZ
<#a26>
**
MORE ON FORE-EDGE PAINTING
<#a27>
**
LONDON'S BOOKSELLERS
<#a28>
**
COMMODORE PERRY'S COLLECTION
<#a29>
**
SOTHEBY'S RESCINDS SALE OF FAKE HALS PAINTING
<#a30>
**
CHILEAN PESO AN ANTIQUES ROADSHOW FIND
<#a31>
**
TIDY HOUSE SILVER DOLLARS
<#a32>
**
BANK OF LIBERIA ISSUES NEW BANKNOTES
<#a33>
**
SPECIAL SERIAL NUMBER PUDSEY NOTE SOLD
<#a34>
**
THE 'MCDONALD'S TEST' FOR FAKE BANKNOTES
<#a35>
**
CASH-SNIFFING DOG HITS PAYDIRT AT DULLES AIRPORT
<#a36>
**
GALLERY SHOWS WAGNER'S CURRENCY PORTRAITS
<#a37>
**
FEATURED WEB PAGE: HAITI COINS
<#a38>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM OCTOBER 9, 2016

New subscribers this week include:
Rex Stark,
Bill Michal,
Lev Linkner, and
Ivan Zelaya.
Welcome aboard! We now have 2,025 subscribers.

This week we open with more highlights from this month's Kolbe & Fanning numismatic literature sale, an updated Spink Books site, the Central States Author Grants awardees, three book reviews, and the latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal.

Other topics this week include coin shop tales, the Young Numismatists of America, George Kunz, Joel Iskowitz, dealer Otto Oddehon, the Pogue Collection, edge lettering, Commodore Perry's coin collection, and Tidy House silver dollars.

To learn more about coin postcards, Two Dollar Bill, the Museum of Coin Holders, Thomas Spence, John Work Garrett, Evergreen House, sculptor-engraver Phebe Hemphill,  London's booksellers, Pudsey Bear and the McDonald's Test, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

KOLBE & FANNING SALE 143 OCTOBER 21-22, 2016

Here's a press release with more highlights from this month's numismatic literature sale from Kolbe & Fanning.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning’s 143rd sale of numismatic literature will be held on October 21 and 22, and bids are beginning to come in. The two-part sale features a remarkable library of early American auction catalogues, as well as a wide variety of works on foreign, ancient and U.S. coins.

The sale is arranged in two parts. The first, featuring 293 lots, will be conducted as a live online sale on Friday, October 21. Bidders may participate in this part of the sale in advance via mail, phone, fax or email--or on the day of the sale through our live bidding platform at auction.numislit.com. Register in advance, browse lots and place bids at your leisure: all lots in the first part are illustrated in the online catalogue. Live bidding will commence at noon eastern time on October 21.

The second part of the sale features over 800 lots, and will be conducted as a traditional mail-bid sale (with no online component). This second part of the sale will close at 9:00 pm eastern time on Saturday, October 22. Bids may be placed via mail, phone, fax or email; bids will be treated as limits and reduced as competition dictates.

Some highlights include the following:

Lots 258 and 145

Lot 258: John J. Ford’s exceptional copy of the foundational 1851 Roper sale, the first major coin sale held in the United States.

Lot 145: a fine, original plated Mougey sale (Thomas Elder, 1910); other plated Elder sales present include the 1929 Lawrence sale with all 22 plates, among others

Lots 115 and 133

Lot 115: a wonderful plated copy of S.H. Chapman’s 1913 Lyman sale, signed by the cataloguer, ex the Lester Merkin library; the sale also features a plated 1916 Charles Gregory catalogue, among other plated catalogues of the Chapman brothers

Lot 133: Edward Cogan’s 1874 Sanford catalogue with photographic plates, including the first photographic depiction of an 1804 dollar at auction

Lots 139 and 212

Lot 139: a beautifully bound 1875 Crosby, with the Maris Woodburytype plate included

Lot 212: the New York Coin & Stamp Company’s 1892 Woodside pattern sale, with plates

Lots 96 and 152

Lot 96: a virtually complete set of 117 hardcover Bowers & Merena catalogues (1986-2004)

Lot 152: a complete set of Ed Frossard’s legendary Numisma

Lots 34 and 5

Lot 34: Dewerdeck’s monumental 1711 Silesia Numismatica

Lot 5: the deluxe 3-volume slipcased edition of Boutin’s reconstruction of the Pozzi collection

Lot 51: Muntoni on paper coins

Printed catalogues have been mailed to established clients; a PDF of the catalogue has been posted to the main numislit.com website for those who prefer to read online. In addition, prospective bidders are able to access the live online catalogue and register to bid in Part I of the sale through

auction.numislit.com.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed and bonded auction firm in the State of Ohio. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at numislit.com or email David Fanning at df at numislit.com. We look forward to your participation.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

KOLBE & FANNING SALE 143 OCTOBER 21-22, 2016

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n40a02.html)

SPINK BOOKS GETS A NEW LOOK

The London-based Spink firm has updated the numismatic books portion of its web site.  Here's their brief announcement from October 3, 2016.
-Editor

Spink is pleased to announce that the Spink Books website is sporting a brand new look. All of your favourite titles are available here, and many new ones too.

There are many new features to the updated site, and it is now easier than ever to order your books online.

To visit Spink Books, see:

https://spinkbooks.com/

CENTRAL STATES AWARDS 2016-2017 AUTHOR GRANTS

The  Central States Numismatic Society has announced the recipients of its 2016-2017 author grants.  Numismatic authors can apply for these grants for assistance in researching and publishing their work. Here's an excerpt from an October 8, 2016 Coin World article by Paul Gilkes, and links to more information.  Congratulations to the new awardees, and good luck with your books.
-Editor

If you’ve thought about writing a book about a specific area of numismatics, it’s possible that the Central States Numismatic Society can help financially with its research and publication.

Grants to assist authors in publishing new references in four different collecting areas were recently awarded under the Central States Author Grants Program.

The four 2016–2017 Central States Author Grant recipients and the titles of their respective books are:

➤ Kenneth Berger, Philippine Emergency Currency.

➤ Russell Doughty, Flying Eagle/Indian Cent Die Varieties.

➤ Kevin Flynn, Coin Collecting For Kids.

➤ Winston Zach, Contemporary Counterfeit Coinage.

Ongoing program
According to Ray Lockwood, CSNS education director and past president, the first grants under the Central States Author Grants Program were made in 2011 and have been awarded annually since.

Grants may not exceed $5,000. The amount budgeted for the grants ranges from $10,000 to $40,000 each year, Lockwood said.

Lockwood said grant applications are due Aug. 31 each year and are reviewed by the Central States Education Committee. The committee then recommends to the Central States Board what applications to fund. The board, in turn, approves the grants on or about Oct. 1, Lockwood said.

Since the 2011 establishment of the Central State Author Grants Program, 34 grants have been awarded.

“These grants have yielded 22 published books to date with others still in the development stage.”

What a great program!  Many thanks to the board and members of CSNS for their strong support of numismatic literature.  It's the lifeblood of our hobby; new books often reignite old collecting areas or open up entirely new ones.    I'm looking forward myself to the book on Contemporary Counterfeit Coinage, something we've discussed several times in The E-Sylum.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

When you think ‘There ought to be a book...’ but can’t afford to write it, there’s an app for that

(www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/10/central-states-awards-four-new-book-grants.html)

For more information on the author grants program, see:

http://centralstates.info/education.html

For more information on the Central States Numismatic Society, see:

www.centralstates.info

BOOK REVIEW: STANDARD GUIDE TO COIN POSTCARDS

David Gladfelter submitted this review of a new book on an interesting area of numismatic ephemera: coin postcards.  Thanks!
-Editor

This is a book that I was looking forward to receiving, because nothing like it has previously been published on this area of exonumia, to my knowledge. Unfortunately it does not deliver what its title promises.

The author, Dilip Rajgor, organizes his catalog by country whose coins (and sometimes whose flag) are displayed on its postcard varieties. That method makes sense in that it enables a collector to look up a country and see what varieties of cards might exist for that country. However, Rajgor lists only one variety per country (with a few exceptions). The known varieties are in fact far more numerous. For example, 40 different varieties of coin postcards of Denmark alone are known, according to a friend who specializes in collecting cards of that country.

The number of countries listed by Rajgor includes only the 43 originally published by the printer Hugo Semmler of Magdeburg circa 1910 and sold in sets of 45 (including two different cards for Japan and two for Turkey), plus two varieties of cards of the Palestine mandate, a territory administered by Great Britain in the late 1920s when that card was issued. By then, coin postcards had been issued for a number of additional countries, including for example, Albania, Canada, Poland, Syria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Belgian Congo and Yugoslavia. The card for Russia was succeeded by one for the U.S.S.R. Why Rajgor chose to list Palestine but not the other additional countries is not explained.

Rajgor’s pricing, which is given in Indian rupees (currently ~66 per U. S. dollar), seems somewhat above market, but my main disagreement here is that he values clean, unused cards more highly than those that have been postally used. To me, a card actually mailed from one country to another tells more of a story than an unused card, and I have paid extra to get them. (Plus, it’s fun to read other people’s mail.)

This book seems intended mainly for the Indian market; in that sense, it’s good to know that coin postcards are popular there. But we still need a real “standard guide.”

Published in English in 2011 by Reesha Books International, Mumbai, at Rs100 or $5 U.S. Currently available from the distributor, Rajesh Jain, Delhi, for Rs500 (which would be ~$7.60 U.S.)
It’s soft cover, illustrations in black and white at 83% of actual size. No rarity ratings.

Per advertisement in the book, they have two offices in Mumbai. The head office is Reesha Group, 7-8-9 Gupta Niwas, V. P. Road, Mulund (West), Mumbai 400080, India, and its fax # is 022-2561 4360. The distributor's address is 1936, 1st Floor, Fountain, Chandni Chowk - 110006, Delhi - 6, India, MOB: 9971510637. This was sent by a friend who saw the book advertised on line, I didn't deal directly with them.

Their web site is

http://reeshabooks.com/
, but it is currently under construction.  You can email them at

info at reeshabooks.com
.

Well, it's a start.  Going from zero books on the topic to one is a big leap nevertheless.
-Editor

BOOK REVIEW: DARK ATHENA

This review by Associated Press staff writer Norma Bartol examines the new novel by numismatist Arthur Houghton.
-Editor

I have cousins and friends who write books, and so I feel, when they are as fascinating as “Dark Athena,” a novel by my friend Arthur Houghton, I wish to write about the author and his work.

The book is about the art world and tells of a spectacular marble statue dug up in Italy by peasants. It became a national treasure, but was sold illegally. A curator of a museum, according to the book, “doesn’t know his investigation of the statue will take him into the darkest corners of the art world to unravel a dangerous conspiracy that will take him closer to home than he could have imagined.”

I have cousins and friends who write books, and so I feel, when they are as fascinating as “Dark Athena,” a novel by my friend Arthur Houghton, I wish to write about the author and his work.

The book is about the art world and tells of a spectacular marble statue dug up in Italy by peasants. It became a national treasure, but was sold illegally. A curator of a museum, according to the book, “doesn’t know his investigation of the statue will take him into the darkest corners of the art world to unravel a dangerous conspiracy that will take him closer to home than he could have imagined.”

To read the complete article, see:

Norma Bartol: Author brings wide expertise to ‘Dark Athena’

(www.apnews.com/7d6917ed075642f1bf6ed39455a2b64d)

Here's an excerpt from the Amazon book description.
-Editor

Arthur Houghton draws on his background as curator of antiquities at the J. Paul Getty Museum and his experience in the US foreign service to create an intricate, informed narrative. A thrilling novel with surprises at every turn, Dark Athena explores the meaning of authenticity, the similarities between art and human behavior, and the profound question of who should own mankind's cultural heritage.

To read the complete article, see:

Dark Athena: A Novel

(www.amazon.com/Dark-Athena-Novel-Arthur-Houghton/dp/1535171774/ref=sr_1_1)

BOOK REVIEW: TWO DOLLAR BILL

Paul Cunningham writes:

You had an item on a few weeks back about two dollar bills. In about 2005 Stuart Woods, a writer of light mysteries, produced a fictional account centered around one Two Dollar Bill. Bill was a murderous sociopath who had bought $400 million worth of consecutively numbered $2 bills, at a discount, of course. He had the nick-name of Two Dollar Bill because he spent large amounts of the $2 bills at restaurants, gas stations, golf courses, and wherever else a sociopath might spend such pocket money. While the book is a good read, the mention of $2 bills takes up less than 1% of the whole story!

Thanks for letting us know about this.  I added an image of the book's cover and below is a description from Amazon.
-Editor

Two-Dollar Bill delivers all the storytelling twists and whip-smart banter readers have come to love in Stuart Woods's thrillers, as suave Manhattan cop-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington is back on his home turf caught between a filthy rich conman-who's just become his client-and a beautiful prosecutor.

Please let us know where we can get a discount on $2 bills.
Do they discount bulk purchases of $100 bills, too?  That's an interesting fictional world.

You know you're getting old when you ask about the money and not the beautiful prosecutor...
-Editor

For more information, or to order, see:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_23/167-3124899-2747131?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=stuart+woods+two+dollar+bill&sprefix=Stuart+Woods%2Ctwo+dollar%2Caps%2C122

NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS SAMPLE SLAB UPDATE

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is the Sample Slab Update Newsletter.  Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

The explosion of third party grading in the last generation has created a market for various slab types, as the grading services periodically update their holders and occasionally issue “special edition” or sample holders as well. Sites such as SampleSlabs.com catalog several hundred sample slabs (typically issued as a promotion when a holder modification is introduced), documenting the evolution of various grading firms and their holders over the last 30 years. PCGS themselves have published “The PCGS Museum of Coin Holders.”

David Schwager has issued the Sample Slab Update Newsletter since February 2015 and these are now available on the Newman Portal. The inaugural issue mentions a chocolate Franklin Half dollar (presumably not a U.S. Mint emission) in a PCGS slab, while the latest issue (August 2016) covers developments from the ANA convention, such as the recently PCGS-issued “Kangaroo” slab. The ANA further featured an informal enclave of sample slab collectors, perhaps the forerunner of a specialty club dedicated to this corner of the hobby. The Newman Portal acknowledges David Schwager for sharing the Sample Slab Update Newsletter with the collecting public through NNP.

Link to SampleSlabs.com:

http://www.sampleslabs.com/

Link to PCGS Museum of Coin Holders:

http://www.pcgs.com/holders

Link to Sample Slab Update Newsletter on the Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/514437

The Newman Numismatic Portal is not just about digitizing dusty 100-year-old tomes.  It's about creating an inclusive archive of all numismatic content including the latest publications.  This helps ensure the preservation of this content for future generations of collectors and researchers.  Online content is often the most vulnerable.  Clubs, companies and their web sites come and go over time, but the Internet Archive and the Newman Numismatic Portal are built to last centuries or more, with backup sites around the globe.
-Editor

MICH-MATIST EDITOR MICHAEL STRUB SIDELINED

Michael Marotta submitted this note about Mich-Matist editor Michael Strub. Thanks.
-Editor

Mich-Matist editor Michael Strub suffered a stroke on Memorial Day 2016.  With the support of the Board of Directors, his wife, Jen, accepted the role of editor.  The deadlines have slipped - of necessity - but production rolls forward nevertheless.

Mike has been in and out of the hospital, and is now in outpatient therapy.  Jen wrote: "Mike is doing OK.  We are seeing [a] little progress every day so that is encouraging.  …  It is ok to tell people.  Prayers are what we are asking for.  …  He is doing good.  He was in the hospital for about a month.  He has 3 weeks of inpatient therapy.  He is home now and getting outpatient therapy.  We are hoping to come to the [Fall Michigan State Numismatic Society]  convention on at least one of the days."

On a personal note, I was working as both the webmaster and Mich-Matist editor in 2004 and 2005.  Mike kept offering "suggestions" for the magazine.  The best way I knew to shut him up was to make him the editor. So, I stepped down.  He did a slam-bang job, working closely with the printer while currying the writers and boosting the advertisers. Time and again the ANA denied MSNS first place in their club newsletter awards, but time and again, in my opinion, Mike Strub excelled beyond the limits of his competitors.

On another front, entirely, Mike retired from his day job as an engineer to become a dealer.  He rose instantly to the status of a regular at MSNS conventions.  It is implicit in the fabric of numismatics that the true leaders have several working roles, and Mike Strub is  a perfect example of that higher echelon of hobbyists.

We're sorry to hear the news about Mike.  Let's hope his recovery goes well.  Meanwhile, best of luck to new editor Jen Strub.  Thanks also to Mike Marotta for the Mich-Matist cover image.
-Editor

For more information on the Michigan State Numismatic Society, see:

www.michigancoinclub.org

MORE ON THE COLONIAL COUNTERSTAMP MYSTERY

Randy Clark writes:

Robert Martin and I were discussing the Connecticut copper
with a B / D.CP counterstamp shown in the October 2, 2016
issue of The E-Sylum.

We agree on an attribution of 1787 Connecticut copper
variety M16.1-m for the image submitted by Bill Groom.

Robert also recalled two other similar pieces illustrated in
the Stacks March 1994 Sale. A 1785 Vermont Ryder 4 cataloged
as lot 375, illustrated on page 37 (image attached) and a 1785
Connecticut M4.4-D cataloged as lot 105, illustrated on page 16.
This latter piece was also auctioned off in the Stacks Perkins
sale of January 2000 as lot 199.

Unfortunately, Robert and I do not have any information on the
counterstamp itself, other than what is viewable in these images.
Hopefully one of The E-Sylum's other readers can provide more insight.

We hope this information is useful to help with the Colonial
Counterstamp Mystery.

Thanks.  At top is a composite image created by Randy showing Bill Groom's piece alongside similar counterstamps from two earlier Stack's sales.  Below are his composite images of the complete coins as illustrated in the catalogs.  Click on any of the images to see larger versions in our Flickr archive.
-Editor

Syd Martin writes:

 I cannot provide concrete answers, but I have the identical counterstamp on a 1785 Vermont landscape, attached.  Ex Stack’s, 13Jan09, Lot 7216; earlier Stack’s, March 1994, Lot 375).  This may support a New England origination.

Small world.  Great home for a nice coin.  The black and white catalog photo didn't do it justice.  This is an attractive piece.
-Editor

Roger Burdette writes:

My suggestion for DCP.

D = abbreviation for  "penny", from the Roman denarius.
C = Church
P = penny

Similarity of script of D and P propose a link in meaning, and repetition of the amount from the L/S/D system is reasonable given the circumstances. Using "D" to represent Dutch does not work; however, there might be a connection via the Dutch denomination "duit" roughly equivalent to an English  "penny." If correct this implies a multinational congregation, but is difficult to reconcile with colonial religious practices of the 18th century.

Thanks, everyone.  This stamp is clearly not one of a kind, and was in use around the late 1700s.  The Connecticut and Vermont undertypes do suggest a New England circulation.  I also thought of "d" as a likely abbreviation for penny, although any interpretation of the lettering is speculative without other evidence.  Still, "Church Penny" is an attractive interpretation for "CP".

Here's where some detective work is in order.  A review of New England church histories for the period may well turn up an account of coins being overstamped for use as church pennies.
The "B" could well mean "Boston", so that wouldn't be a bad place to start.
Digitization may make this search easier than ever, but there's never a shortcut to good numismatic research.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

QUERY: A COLONIAL COUNTERSTAMP MYSTERY

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n40a11.html)

QUERY: PHOTO OF CENTRAL AMERICAN MINT SOUGHT

Alejandro Safie writes:

I would like to ask a question of the readership, if possible, to locate an original image of the Central American Mint that opened in August 1892 in San Salvador, El Salvador.  Ivan Zelaya of El Salvador is searching for any image (preferably photographic) of the actual mint itself or the opening ceremony during August 1892 (he has a lithograph – low resolution) but would like to find such for an upcoming publication.

Ivan is our newest subscriber - welcome!  He shared this link to the only known engraved image of the mint.  Can anyone help find a photo?
-Editor

The Mint of San Salvador.
It started operations formally on August 28, 1892. After several attempts to establish a mint in San Salvador finally a group of British entrepreneurs brought together to shareholders and capital to the founding of the company "The Central American Mint Limited".

The Central American Mint Limited

(www.thecentralamericanmint.com/historia.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 9, 2016

 Follow Up: Touring Nuremberg by Streetcar - Token.
Regarding his new book on notgeld transportation tokens, author James Martin  writes:

Thank you for posting this so quickly and for your kind sentiments. I received a welcome response from several E-Sylum readers that led to a couple of minor corrections.
I anticipate and eagerly read every new E-Sylum, you're doing a great job that is appreciated by all.

Glad to help!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: TOURING NUREMBERG BY STREETCAR - TOKEN

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n39a05.html)

 Books on Thomas Spence
In last week's issue, Dave Bowers wrote:

I love Conder tokens! Someone should write a book about Thomas Spence!

Douglas Saville writes:

Tell Dave Bowers - and all your readers -  that someone DID write a book about Thomas Spence –published by Frank Graham in Newcastle upon Tyne, 1983.  (Mary ) P. M. ASHRAF. The Life and Times of Thomas Spence. Fantastic book. I handled two copies in Harry Manville’s library - both now sold.

George Kolbe writes:

A search through Kolbe and Fanning catalogues revealed the following lot (157), in sale 79 (1999):

Ashraf, P. M. The Life and Times of Thomas Spence. Newcastle upon Tyne, 1983. 212 pages, 20 plates. Orange boards, gilt, dust jacket. Very fine. (also) Rudkin, Olive D. Thomas Spence and his Connections. New York, 1966 Augustus M. Kelley reprint. 256 pages, frontispiece token portrait. 12mo. Gray cloth, gilt. Very fine.

It seems that Dave Bowers' wish that someone should write about Thomas Spence has already been fulfilled, twice!

I should note that I had forgotten about these two books when I made the search and that each appears to have been the sole example sold by K & F, at least since the late 1980s. Estimated at $35, the lot brought $75.

It appears that the Rudkin work was originally published in 1927.

Thanks.
Pittsburgher David Spence collected Conder tokens and gave a presentation to the Sphinx Society one time on Thomas Spence.
I was there, but don't recall if he cited any of these books.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: OCTOBER 2, 2016 : Conder Tokens and Other Topics

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n40a09.html)

 Could Roman Coins Found in Japan Been Brought by Commodore Perry?
Regarding the Roman coins found in Japan,
Georges Depeyrot writes:

I spoke with Kuroda, my Japanese colleague, who is in Paris now. It is possible that these coins were part of the private collection of Commodore Perry.  He collected coins and his collection is in the Fitzwilliam.

During his stay in Japan he lived in Okinawa. So it is very probable that these coins were lost only in the 19th c. when Perry arrived to open Japan to the international trade.

I've added an article elsewhere in this issue with more information on the Perry Collection.  Perry was well organized and it's hard to think coins could have escaped once they were added to the collection.  But it is possible that he or someone in his party could have carried these to Japan.
Hard to prove, but an interesting possibility.
-Editor

To read about the Perry Collection, see:

Perry Collection

(www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/gallery/perry/collector/info.html)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

ROMAN COINS FOUND IN RUINED JAPANESE CASTLE

www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n40a26.html)

 Query: Holes in Indian Coins

David Pickup writes:

I was offered  this coin for £20.00. It is silver tanka from India, Tajal-Din Firoz Shah 1397-1422 AD one of the Bahmani Sultanates’ coins.

It has holes on both sides which look drill marks. I have seen these marks on pictures of other coins from the same period/area. Does anyone know what these marks are? Are they test marks or some fault in the flan? All the marks avoid the script.

Interesting. Can anyone help?
-Editor

  THE BOOK BAZARRE
 SELECTIONS FROM THE JOHN HUFFMAN LIBRARY: Browse and Shop Approximately 3,000 Numismatic Books from the Respected Library
 of John Huffman—All Books Recently Discounted 40%. Click here or go to
 www.SecondStorybooks.com click on “All Subjects” and select “John Huffman Collection”

MORE COIN SHOP TALES

Several readers have offered their coin shop experiences this week.
-Editor

Ron Dayton writes:

Always enjoy The E-Sylum and can’t imagine how you keep doing this week after week, year after year, for as long as you have done it. I wanted to comment about one of the notes from your readers, Dick Johnson in particular, from the last issue.

Dick mentions shopping at a coin shop in Kansas City owned by Wilbur Bishoff. I, too, shopped at his shop in the late 50’s and purchased the first coin I ever bought from him. It was a Roman bronze coin from the reign of Constantine I, minted in approximately 330 AD. I still own the coin today and it’s one of my prized possessions. How true, especially in the internet age, of how small our world has become.

Ginger Rapsus writes:

When I began collecting years ago (1960s) there were a number of coin shops in downtown Chicago. I recall Ryan's, where I bought my first two collector coins: a well-worn 1907 Indian 1c and a well-worn 1906 Liberty 5c. When I collected world coins, I liked to visit Ace, where they had a good selection. I found coins of Cyprus from the 1920s, a replica Continental $1, the 1966 Ireland crown with beautiful toning.

Rarcoa on Clark St. was always good to visit, especially to look in the windows. Harlan J.Berk is there now. There were coin departments at Carson's and Marshall Field's too. I remember in 1966 or so, Field's had a 1796 no stars quarter eagle for $6000. I also found a 1951 English crown, proof, in original box.

I have very fond memories of Beverly Hills Coin Shop at Evergreen Plaza. Larry Whitlow let me look thru the "junk boxes" for as long as I wanted. He knew I was serious and encouraged me a great deal. One Xmas, he gave me a Brown & Dunn grading guide. Another Xmas, he gave me a 1904-O silver dollar.

Richard Gaetano of Pittsburgh writes:

I remember going to George Marlier's office in 1948 or 1949.  I think it was in the Union Trust Bldg. He shared an office with a lawyer.  All he had was a safe, a table and two chairs. I bought a Trade dollar and a 1545 Netherland Brabant and a Constantine coin from him. He was very old but with it and very nice to me.

Ed Krivoniak of Pittsburgh writes:

The name of Gordon Dodrill's building was the Pullman-Swindell Building.

Banner Coin is on 4th Avenue and is now being run by Eddie Lowy.

Cheech's shop (The Coin Exchange) is on the ground floor of the Roosevelt Building. This used to be the lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel but the lobby was converted into storefronts when the hotel was converted into apartments. Cheech's first coin shop in Pittsburgh was on the lower level of the Grant Building on Grant Street in Pittsburgh. It was taken over by Eddie Maughn when Cheech moved to the Roosevelt site.

Kaufmann's had a coin department that was supplied with coins by a New York company.

The shop in Gimbels was run by John Meredith, Sr. who also owned shops in 12 other cities all the way to Chicago. When John, Sr. died his son John Meredith, Jr. inherited the business along with his sister and they have trimmed it down and expanded in the Pittsburgh area with the new Treasure Hunt locations. I believe there are 10 or 11 sites around Pittsburgh now.

As long as we are reminiscing there was also a shop on the other end of town called Bill & Walt's Hobby Shop. I don't know who owned the coin part of it but I was told that Cal Kane had something to do with it.

There was a coin shop next to Kaufmann's but I don't recall the name. They never seemed to have had anything. There were two shops in Squirrel Hill, one owned by Chuck Furjanic and another owned by Saul and Harold Weitz.

Ted Shiff's first coin shop was in South Hills Village but has now moved to Dormont, PA just outside of Pittsburgh where it is being run by his two sons Brad and Blaine.

     Ted Young is a dealer in Rochester, PA owns and still runs a coin shop with his son Ricky in a bank building that they own.

Thanks, everyone.
George Marlier was before my time, but I remember the other Pittsburgh shops.

Speaking of coin shops, here's an excerpt from an article published earlier this week in the Gallipolis Daily Tribune of Gallipolis, OH.
-Editor

The store sits at the corner of Second Avenue and Grape Street in Gallipolis and was founded in 1976 between three partners who began collecting coins while in college. Tom Tope said this was between 1964 to 1986. The original three partners were Tope, Marc Sarrett and James Magnussen.

Eventually, the three colleagues would buy a large collection of coins around $10,000 and felt they needed to open a shop because, as collectors, they couldn’t “digest” all of those items. The three started in a building which used to be a broom factory located near what is now the Gallia Academy Middle School on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Tope and his colleagues could write books with the wealth of knowledge they hold in the history of coins. Tope shared a story about Maybelle McIntyre, the wife of New York newspaper columnist Oscar Odd McIntyre.

“Morgan dollars are the number one collectible coin,” Tope said. “They were made between 1878 to 1921. It’s a nice big, fat silver coin.”

Tope said that oftentimes the coins were given out as gifts and birthday presents.

“(Maybelle McIntyre) called me one afternoon and said, ‘Tom, what are you paying for silver dollars?’” Tope said. “I said $4 a piece. She said, ‘Well, I’ve been putting them in a handbag and taking them to New York City and getting $2 a piece.’”

Tope met with Mrs. McIntyre to discuss the coins.

“She brought 900 coins stacked,” Tope said. “I said, ‘Mrs. McIntyre. I just thought you had 20 or 30 of them.’ She said she would come back tomorrow. She kept bringing them down. I told her, ‘Mrs. McIntyre, that coin is worth $700. This one is a $5 one and this is a $50 one.’ When we were done, she had 1,800 (coins). She had bought five bags back in the (Great Depression) and said she had been giving them out to a kid that had (mowed) their yard or to an (employee) at Christmas time.”

Overall, Tope said Maybelle had handed out maybe 3,200 of the coins. Mrs. McIntyre at the time did not know the true worth of the coins as their value had increased with time. Mrs. McIntyre died in 1985. She lived to be 101.

“I think we wrote her a check for $18,000 that day,” said Tope.

To read the complete article, see:

Making head or tails of coin history

(http://mydailytribune.com/news/10150/making-head-or-tails-of-coin-history)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

BEBEE BUYS A BANK BUILDING: COIN SHOPS IN AMERICA

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n40a19.html)

THE YOUNG NUMISMATIST

Regarding the Young Numismatists of America organization,
Ben Keele writes:

I was Secretary-Treasurer of the YNA in the early 2000s. I think we put together a few issues of The Young Numismatist (I didn't keep any copies).

The Internet Archive has some snapshots of the YNA website:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030523224721*/http://ynaclub.org/

The Internet Archive is the digitization partner of the Newman Numismatic Portal.  Their Wayback Machine is the ultimate web archive - it contains snapshots of websites archived at various points in time, preserving them for future researchers.  How cool is that?

The Wayback Machine holds 119 versions of the YNA web site archived between December 12, 2001 and March 21, 2016.  It seems to have gone dormant around 2008 - subsequent snapshots have no content. I took the above logo image from a 2007 snapshot.
-Editor

To read the Summer 2003 Edition of The Young Numismatist, see:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031202210746/http://ynaclub.org/newsletter/03sum.html

YOUNG NUMISMATISTS OF AMERICA HISTORY

>From a 2007 archive of the Young Numismatists of America, here is a club history written by Cameron Kiefer.
-Editor

The history of YNA is somewhat short and encompassed less than our life span (unless you are a "younger" young numismatist). The start of the YNA club was somewhat political according to Greg Lyon a founder of the club: "In the late 80's , the ANA started a separate magazine for YN's called First Strike. It was published quarterly and although the editing and publishing was done by an outside organization, it focused on articles by and for YN's. Several years later, ANA eliminated First Strike as a separate publication and incorporated a much smaller version in the Numismatist. Unfortunately this version featured very few articles and many were now written by adults - depriving in my mind, YN's the opportunity from having their writings published on a national level."

The stage had been set and the club was formed at the 1990 ANA Summer Seminar. The founders main goal was to put out a publication which would give YN's an opportunity to write articles to be published on a national level. Things were looking up. In 1995 Steve Roach became President and the club membership peaked to an all time high of 100. The club published four newsletters a year and had an annual meeting at the ANA Summer convention in addition to an informal get together at the Summer Seminar.

During the same time, in the 1996 Spring issue, John Kraljevich Jr. wrote on the importance of involvement by saying "Don't collect from the sidelines. The top numismatists of today didn't get where they are today by quietly filling holes in an album. They learned all they could from their precious artifacts. They absorbed publications, thrived on talking to other collectors, and gained intellectual nutrition from going to as many conventions as possible.....It will benefit you more than you know, and you can take special pride of sharing your knowledge and adding your own footnote to the story of numismatics. Be involved. It will pay off at college. And never forget to thank your audience."

By the end of 1996, problems started to appear as many of the original founders grew older and went off to college. The publishing of the newsletter became difficult to stick to as most members did not contribute articles. Steve Roach took over the Presidency/editor position and was able to get out a simple one page quarterly newsletter. Jeremy Haag soon became editor and had "great difficulty getting anyone to contribute anything to the newsletter." He resorted to "reducing the size of the publication and writing small articles." A list serve was set up but only 15 members joined and was soon discontinued for lack of use.

In 1998 the officers changed, but not for long. Jake Wood Jr. took the reigns of President, but resigned a short three weeks later for an undisclosed reason. John Brush stepped up and became President and was able to get out three or four newsletters, annually. In July of 2001, YN's at the ANA Summer Seminar jump started YNA back up. Since then, over 200 young collectors have joined, a quarterly newsletter published, and a new website.

What can we learn from the history of the old YNA that will help the new? Jeremy Haag, a former editor, says "It was always one of those things that people got excited what the organization can do at conventions and the ANA Summer Seminar but once we dispersed few followed through with their promises. I think one of the secrets is to draw up a list of what things you want the club to offer and then another list of how it is you could do those things successfully. Find out how much work people are willing to contribute. You don't want to ask too much of people or you will risk the possibility of them just dropping everything. Last but not least try to cultivate new leaders so that when it is time for the present leadership to move on, there is someone there to take their place."

As all can see, the lack of involvement and the recruitment of new members/leaders killed the old YNA. If we do not heed the past members warnings, the same can happen with our club. Stay active and write an article or two. I would like to thank the previous members quoted within this article for spending countless hours e-mailing me back and forth the history as they recall it. Thanks goes to John Brush, Greg Lyon, Jeremy Haag and Steve Roach. Without them, my initial research about the club would never had gotten off the ground.

Cameron Kiefer - Historian

To read the complete article, see:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070614144535/http://www.ynaclub.org/history.html

OTTO ODDEHON (1878-1959)

John Lupia submitted the following information from his   Encyclopedic Dictionary of Numismatic Biographies for this week's installment of his series. Thanks! As always, this is an excerpt with the full article and bibliography available online. This week's subject is world coin dealer Otto Oddehon  of St. Louis, mentioned last week as the creator of a medal celebrating the sesquicentennial of the Louisiana Purchase.
-Editor

Otto Oddehon (1878-1959), was born December 31, 1878 in Agerum, Blekinge, Sweden. His parents moved to America in 1880 or 1881 as both dates are found in records. He is listed in the Joplin City Directory of 1913 working as a canvasser. According to the U. S. Census of 1920 he worked as a lumberjack at Franklin, Missouri.

In January 1923 he ran a coin advertisement in Popular Mechanics giving his address as Dallas Texas. He ran advertisements each year from 1936 to 1938 in April or May in the Kansas City Star, (Sunday, April 24, 1938) looking for work as a farm hand. In some respects he is reminiscent of a character straight out of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath.  He seems to have never married, worked at various menial jobs, and lived in various places as a lodger.

            Oddehon was a mail order coin dealer specializing in foreign coins. He advertised in The Numismatist, Hobbies, Popular Science,  Popular Mechanics, and Numismatic Scrapbook. The commemorative token he had struck for the 150th anniversary of the Louisiana Purchase distinguished him, otherwise he remains fairly obscure to history.

He published several insightful comments in The Numismatist showing a keen sense for numismatics, and business. Noteworthy was his suggestion to lower the annual subscription and have advertisers pay for the publication with the subscription dues used to advance the organization. Also he suggested, in 1938, that an archive of coins in various grades be established as an authority control - an idea that evolved thirty-two years later into Photograde.

 He ran his first advertisement selling foreign coins in The Numismatist in April 1927. According to the U. S. Census of 1930 he worked as a numismatist on his own account. He seems to have moved between Kansas City and Unionville, Missouri during the late 1930's. He moved from Kansas City, Missouri to Overland, Missouri in 1942. He then moved to Saint Louis in 1944.

He died on August 16, 1959. He is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, Bel-Nor, Missouri.

            The Newman Numismatic Portal has digitized various invoices of coin purchases by Oddehon from Burdette G. Johnson of St. Louis Stamp & Coin from 1940 to 1943.

To read the complete article, see:

ODDEHON, OTTO

(https://sites.google.com/a/numismaticmall.com/www/numismaticmall-com/oddehon-otto)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

THE HIBLER-KAPPEN SO-CALLED DOLLARS BOOK

(www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n40a18.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE
OVER 500 NUMISMATIC TITLES: Wizard Coin Supply has over 500 numismatic titles in stock, competitively discounted, and
available for immediate shipment. See our selection at www.WizardCoinSupply.com.

LET’S PLAY “WAIT, WAIT, DON’T TELL ME!”

It’s time to play the popular National Public Radio game Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me! in this contribution from an E-Sylum reader who lives somewhere east of Laramie, Wyoming and west of Kirkby Lonsdale, England.
-Editor

Each set of three scenarios has two fictional entries and one real one. See how many you can get correct. Don’t feel bad if you do not score high, as participants in the popular NPR program usually don’t do well either. If you get as many as four right, you should consider teaching a class at the American Numismatic Association’s Summer Seminar or at least writing an article for The Asylum (the print publication of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society, that is—nothing to do with mental health, or does it?).

No. 1

Eva B. Adams, Director of the Mint from October 1961 until August 1969 was given the Clemy Award by the Numismatic Literary Guild in 1974 because: