The E-Sylum v22n24 June 16, 2019

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jun 16 18:50:22 PDT 2019

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 22, Number 24, June 16, 2019
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 16, 2019
<#a01>
**
NEW BOOK: LE FRANC : LES MONNAIES, LES ARCHIVES
<#a02>
**
BANKNOTE BOOK MEXICO CHAPTER PUBLISHED
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: FREEDOM'S DETECTIVE
<#a04>
**
BOOK REVIEW: WEALTH AND WARFARE
<#a05>
**
BOOK REVIEW: COINS FROM EXCAVATIONS AT SARDIS
<#a06>
**
ANS SEEKS ASSISTANT CURATOR
<#a07>
**
EARLY PAPER MONEY OF AMERICA ON NNP
<#a08>
**
VIDEO: YOUNG TEXAN NUMISMATISTS
<#a09>
**
F+W MEDIA ASSET SALES UPDATE
<#a10>
**
HERITAGE LAUNCHES COIN IMAGE IMPROVEMENT
<#a11>
**
THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE CULT ECONOMIST'S COINS
<#a12>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JUNE 16, 2019
<#a13>
**
HARVEY STACK ON THE 50 STATE QUARTER SERIES
<#a14>
**
CHINESE PAPER MONEY AT THE ROYAL SOCIETY
<#a15>
**
VOCABULARY TERM: CUD
<#a16>
**
ABRAHAM HEISTAND GLATZ (1835-1894)
<#a17>
**
HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 46
<#a18>
**
CITECO ECONOMICS MUSEUM OPENS IN PARIS
<#a19>
**
THE ART OF THE PURSE
<#a20>
**
COIN SHOP COMPETITION PROPOSED
<#a21>
**
WALMART OPENS ONLINE COIN DEPARTMENT
<#a22>
**
DNW NORTH YORKSHIRE MOORS PART II SALE
<#a23>
**
NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: JUNE 16, 2019
<#a24>
**
WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: JUNE 16, 2019
<#a25>
**
S.S. CENTRAL AMERICA FIND: FINEST 1856-S DIME
<#a26>
**
CHICAGO COIN CLUB CENTENNIAL MEDAL
<#a27>
**
MOE BERG: THE SPY BEHIND HOME PLATE
<#a28>
**
JOHN R. MOTT NOBEL PEACE PRIZE MEDAL
<#a29>
**
1959 PAN AMERICAN GAMES MEDAL
<#a30>
**
BEAUTIFUL AND UNUSUAL MONEY
<#a31>
**
BEP PREPARED HARRIET TUBMAN FACSIMILE DESIGNS
<#a32>
**
MONEY ART OF KARL LAGASSE
<#a33>
**
MARION STOKES VIDEO ARCHIVE DIGITIZED
<#a34>
**
POSTER MUSEUM OPENING IN NEW YORK CITY
<#a35>
**
LOOSE CHANGE: JUNE 16, 2019
<#a36>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: DON EVERHART
<#a37>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 16, 2019

New subscribers this week include:
Gary Swartz, courtesy of Allen Pauly;
Christian Thomsen,
and
15 Fairfax Coin Club members courtesy of Daryl Haynor, including
Gregg Coburn and
Chris Robey.
Welcome aboard! We now have 5,945 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

Happy Bloomsday, Joyce fans!
This week we open with three new books, two reviews, a numismatic job opening, and updates on the Newman Numismatic Portal and the parent of Krause Publications.

Other topics this week include catching counterfeiters, the 50 State Quarter series, early Chinese paper money, Walmart's coin department, the finest known 1856-S dime, a Nobel Peace Prize medal, a Harriet Tubman banknote design, the money art of Karl Lagasse, and the work of coin sculptor Don Everhart.

To learn more about the Early Paper Money of America, Mexican paper money, ancient Syrian coins, coin doctoring and disclosure, cuds, U.S. Large Cent collector A. Heistand Glatz, the Poultry Club medal, Joseph Merriam's counterstamp, the Pan American games medal, apothecary weights, and How the great Khan Caused the Bark of Trees, Made into Something Like Paper, to Pass for Money All over His Country, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: LE FRANC : LES MONNAIES, LES ARCHIVES

CGB Numismatics Paris has published a new encyclopedia of modern French numismatics.  Here is information from their web site.
-Editor

The Le Franc adventure began in 1995 and now continues with the publication this year of a new comprehensive book, Le Franc : les Monnaies, les Archives. Le Franc, Les Archives is a true history book offering a scientific approach – an encyclopedia of French modern numismatics.

This new publication is the fruit of extensive work by collectors, researchers and numismatists – be they French or foreign professionals or hobbyists – under the direction of CGB and Les Amis du Franc society (Philippe Théret, Christophe Charve, Xavier Bourbon and Franck Perrin, among others).

The recent digitization and study of more than 100,000 archive pages made it possible to establish a picture of today’s knowledge, which had not been updated for more than a hundred years in such a detailed way. It revealed a mine of new information, which we would be glad to help you discover and share with you. Beyond the mere existence and price of each coin, so many historical events, political and administrative decisions, technical or artistic choices are worth knowing about. Getting to know and understand each coin’s environment is exactly what Le Franc, Les Archives intends to do. Coins are thus considered in their specific context – historical, political, administrative, social, cultural and artistic. This is what coin collecting is all about, i.e. giving your collection its unique character.

After the success of Le Franc Poche’s bilingual anniversary edition, this new encyclopedic version is exclusively in French. It offers more than 1,100 richly-illustrated pages with a whole host of archive documents, decrees, monetary orders, explanations, etc. The coin prices provided are those updated in 2016 for Le Franc Poche. Indeed, publishing a new price book was not the goal of Le Franc Les Archives. Prices are given only to complement the extensive research work carried out. Yet, their presentation has been thoroughly redesigned and many notes have been added to them.

The targeted public is wide and varied, and goes way further than the sphere of French modern coins collectors, i.e. the general public, beginner or seasoned or professional numismatists, antique dealers, anybody passionate about history, etc..